PDA

View Full Version : Goodes..Will they finally twig south of the border

ernie koala
2nd October 2012, 01:08 AM
I marvel at the game Goodesy played with a torn PCL...His impact in the last quarter was huge.

To do this on one leg..to know his limitations...to adjust his game...he was all heart, all team, incredibly brave...an amazing performance.

A silly as it seems, the Victorian press, and general public, have always had a raised eyebrow, a question mark, when evaluating Goodesy.

It's time for them to now acknowledge him as the out and out champion he is....No questions asked.

toothy76
2nd October 2012, 01:23 AM
A silly as it seems, the Victorian press, and general public, have always had a raised eyebrow, a question mark, when evaluating Goodesy.

It's time for them to now acknowledge him as the out and out champion he is....No questions asked.

Not sure how you come to this conclusion. There has never been any lack of acknowledgement for, or and question marks on, Goodesy from the Victorian media.

Industrial Fan
2nd October 2012, 10:18 AM
He knew he couldnt turn - so he just ran straight through Franklin, and then Mitchell.

What a machine.

Doctor
2nd October 2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah I'm not sure on this one either. Goodes is just about the only one the folks and press down south HAVE consistently acknowledged over the years.

ShockOfHair
2nd October 2012, 01:22 PM
He was a legend before the game. His effort on Saturday, and THAT goal, are one of the all-time grand final stories.

Nico
2nd October 2012, 01:33 PM
Goodesy has got huge amounts of accolades down here this week. It is not the media but opposition supporters who don't rate him. I laugh when opposition supporters are now saying..."who is that Nick Smith...he can play".

sharp9
2nd October 2012, 05:13 PM
Heard a guy on SEN who said "for years and years I couldn't really see what the fuss was about....but after watching that game live I reckon Adam Goodes is a dead set Legend....what a player...." etc, etc, .....so yeah

ScottH
2nd October 2012, 05:48 PM
Played a terrific finals series. Tore Crows a new one in the first half.
Had the pies in a Panic.
And was Great without starring in the GF!!

Given he missed so much footy this season, he came good at the right time.

kangle4
2nd October 2012, 06:27 PM
He's very well loved in Victoria, may be the only Swan that gets the plaudits they deserve.

Vonsteinman
2nd October 2012, 06:33 PM
He knew he couldnt turn - so he just ran straight through Franklin, and then Mitchell.

What a machine.

Close to - if not - my favourite moment of the game, when he lifted Buddy.

Big Al
2nd October 2012, 06:40 PM
What Adam was able to do in the GF on one leg should be talked about in years to come with the same reverence as the Leo Barry mark.

SwanSational
2nd October 2012, 06:52 PM
What Adam was able to do in the GF on one leg should be talked about in years to come with the same reverence as the Leo Barry mark.

Totally with you. I don't know how on earth he was able to do it; especially with no pain killers. Just goes to show how awesome he is.

Daisi
2nd October 2012, 07:04 PM
I think Goodes is probably the greatest Swans player of the modern era. He's just incredible and a privilege to watch.

lwoggardner
2nd October 2012, 08:01 PM
After Saturday surely there can be no dispute.

Goodes IS the greatest Swans player of the modern era.

Games record holder
Dual Brownlow medallist
Dual premiership winner - one as co-captain
3 Bob Skilton medals
4 time all Australian
AFL Rising Star
Indigenous team of the century
Umpteen Troy Luff medals

Melbournehammer
2nd October 2012, 08:23 PM
this will be the first of many posts on this site tonight - as i haven't posted since the gf.

i owe goodes a couple of apologies. in the last quarter (or maybe the second quarter) he didnt go to a couple of contests in the forward line where i sighed and said "oh goodes...". both were two-on-ones and he didnt really impact the contest but got shepharded out. At the game i simply didnt realise just how badly he was injured.

But having watched the replay about four times now his ability to impact the game for a player basically playing without any significant ability to sprint and jump was nothing short of sensational. he was absolutely inspiring and the man has once again demonstrated that he deserves every accolade that he has ever received and then some.

in years to come this performance of his will be remembered by me as much as his performance in the QF against port in 2003 and for a quarter against adelaide in (maybe 2003 but could have been 2005) where he played the best quarter of football i have ever seen from a player - including some quarters of wayne carey which were outstanding.

as someone on big footy said he is some chance to be inducted into the hall of fame before he even retires...

top40
2nd October 2012, 08:27 PM
It is time for the campaign to begin to persuade the SCG Trust to change the name of the Brewongle Stand to the Adam Goodes Stand. I am very serious about this.

Swansongster
2nd October 2012, 08:30 PM
It is time for the campaign to begin to persuade the SCG Trust to change the name of the Brewongle Stand to the Adam Goodes Stand. I am very serious about this.

One of those bronze statues of legends, perhaps?

Meg
2nd October 2012, 08:36 PM

Brilliant idea.

Velour&Ruffles
2nd October 2012, 08:46 PM
Heard a guy on SEN who said "for years and years I couldn't really see what the fuss was about....but after watching that game live I reckon Adam Goodes is a dead set Legend....what a player...." etc, etc, .....so yeah

I heard that call too. I was driving home Sunday morning from the players' reception at the old Lakeside Oval, with my 6 yo daughter in tow. She had just been talking about how disappointed she was at not being able to talk to Goodesy there (although she liked Mike Pyke). Then the call came on, praising Goodesy for using his body as a battering ram despite the duress he was under. It was actually a very heartfelt call and made me mist up a little - because it was absolutely bang on the money and meant a bit coming from someone who was not a Swans' supporter.

Lucky Knickers
2nd October 2012, 08:48 PM
I've been really chuffed to have the Victorian media state that Goodes must surely be the greatest Swan ever. I agree with them.

liz
2nd October 2012, 10:20 PM
One of my favourite parts of the post game footage is watching Goodsey go up onto stage to collect his medal. Since he wasn't on game day captain duties, he had his "statesman" face turned off and just looked like a youngster with unbridled joy at winning a premiership medal. Loved it. Loved his performance. Just love to death what he has given us over the years.

hot potato
2nd October 2012, 10:32 PM
Who's Brewongle, what position did he play?

top40
3rd October 2012, 12:07 AM
"Brewongle" means meeting place.

Time for the SCG to honour the AFL with its 3 decade support of the ground, as well as honouring the greatest indigenous Australian to regularly paticipate in ANY sport at the SCG:

"The Adam Goodes Stand"

swanspant12
3rd October 2012, 12:09 AM
It's either skilton or goodesy. Goodesy's honours speak for himself, champion.

SwansFan1972
3rd October 2012, 12:36 AM

Or the shiny new one that will soon be there. Would be an appropriate transition - Noble Stand to the Adam Goodes Stand. He is certainly the King of our Castle! :)

lwoggardner
3rd October 2012, 01:14 AM

Not everyone's cup of tea but brewongle stands tall in name game (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/not-everyones-cup-of-tea-but-brewongle-stands-tall-in-name-game-20111123-1nuyf.html)

Meg
3rd October 2012, 01:53 AM
One of my favourite parts of the post game footage is watching Goodsey go up onto stage to collect his medal. Since he wasn't on game day captain duties, he had his "statesman" face turned off and just looked like a youngster with unbridled joy at winning a premiership medal. Loved it. Loved his performance. Just love to death what he has given us over the years.

Completely agree with all of this Liz. When Adam got to my part of the ground on the lap of honour he was absolutely radiating joy. And what he contributed to winning that match when he was on one leg for two and a half quarters is just astounding. He is a champion.

magic.merkin
3rd October 2012, 10:56 AM
I also think he gets plenty of kudos down here. Sure the average people on the street don't know how great he really is (they know he is a legend.), that just comes from lack of games watched. The media give him all the press.

In my eyes that game has elevated him to the upper echelons. Folklore kind of stuff.

Go Swannies
3rd October 2012, 01:33 PM
Kizza's and, of course, Mal's two goals were great moments for me but my favourite was seeing Goodes on one leg run straight through Franklin then bounce off and run over Mitchell was my favourite moment from the game. That was a champion doing all for his team. And how he managed to turn and get boot to ball and through for a goal, all on one leg literally defies medical explanation. With two Brownlows he's never ignored or regarded as less than a Champion but now he is a genuine Grand Final Legend, up with the other great efforts over the decades of delivering while wounded.

He was funny on Saturday night "now both my knees are equally good" and "for this team a 10-point Grand Final win is a blow out". But his best line was when Adam Spencer said that, when AG said at the start of the year he thought this player group could win a Premiership, AS thought it was a bit of hype and Goodes replied "In your face, Adam."

gossipcom
3rd October 2012, 01:34 PM
He was funny on Saturday night "now both my knees are equally good" and "for this team a 10-point Grand Final win is a blow out". But his best line was when Adam Spencer said that, when AG said at the start of the year he thought this player group could win a Premiership, AS thought it was a bit of hype and Goodes replied "In your face, Adam."
The in your face moment was great. Plus loved Adam S' ode to the Swans.

Mrs Shaw
3rd October 2012, 01:57 PM

What a wonderful idea

Chilcott
3rd October 2012, 04:29 PM

Time for the SCG to honour the AFL with its 3 decade support of the ground, as well as honouring the greatest indigenous Australian to regularly paticipate in ANY sport at the SCG:

"The Adam Goodes Stand"

All good ideas (pardon the pun). However, if we are happy to wait another 10 years, maybe it could be called the "Goodes O'Loughlin Jetta" stand to honour three of our greatest indigienous players.

GoodesTrain
1st February 2013, 07:05 PM
After the Swans beat the Crows in the final, an Adelaide fan told me the only consolation was being able to watch Goodesy in action..........When he kicked that goal in the Grand Final I thought it would be the crowning achievement of his career if we went on to win.

He's a champ, sometimes criticised because he doesn't get 30 touches a game or kick 10 goals every week, but name me another player who can do everything he does as well as he does. He can do it all. All-Australian ruckman, wingman and midfielder.........Too talented for his own good sometimes, as no-one could keep up his impossibly high standards every week. But even when he is not BOG or in the best players, he just does so many special things during a game.

Here's hoping we have another 3 or 4 years of Goodesy magic......

Auntie.Gerald
1st February 2013, 10:44 PM
Played a terrific finals series. Tore Crows a new one in the first half.
Had the pies in a Panic.
And was Great without starring in the GF!!

Given he missed so much footy this season, he came good at the right time.

Scott I reckon his first 40mins or so until he did his knee was vintage goodes in the GF

there are passages of play where he tackles 3 guys and finally wins the ball and passes of ! he was super !

Swansongster
2nd February 2013, 08:12 AM
Scott I reckon his first 40mins or so until he did his knee was vintage goodes in the GF

there are passages of play where he tackles 3 guys and finally wins the ball and passes of ! he was super !

I expect him to play until his age matches his number. 400-plus games is not out of the question.

Big Al
2nd February 2013, 08:59 AM
I've always been a tough marker when it comes to Goodes simply because I expect so much from him. He's the most talented footballer I've ever seen and I don't believe he's taken full advantage of how good he is. However after his GF heroics i will forever pull my head in and will never criticise him again. That performance in the GF on one leg will live in the memory forever.

Primmy
2nd February 2013, 09:46 AM
I've always been a tough marker when it comes to Goodes simply because I expect so much from him. He's the most talented footballer I've ever seen and I don't believe he's taken full advantage of how good he is. However after his GF heroics i will forever pull my head in and will never criticise him again. That performance in the GF on one leg will live in the memory forever.I am giving Wardy the task of monitoring this. I expect you to pass with flying colours, kind of.

Triple B
2nd February 2013, 10:46 AM
My mate who I have sat with for 30 years is exactly the same as you Al, just gives it to him all day. Unless he's kicking a bag and getting 30 possies, it aint enough...

Primmy
2nd February 2013, 11:07 AM
Is your mate's name Rodney Eade?

R-1
2nd February 2013, 02:09 PM
Any of the older heads who saw Skilton play care to weigh in on whether Goodesy will go out as the best Swan ever?

Bloods05
2nd February 2013, 03:15 PM
They're very close. Skilts used the ball better - he was a superb kick with either foot - and he was more consistent, but Goodesy is perhaps more spectacular and certainly more durable. I've always thought, though, that Skilton's great achievement was his ability to maintain an extraordinary level of performance over so many years in what were usually weak sides. In my view that puts him ahead of the other TBMs, and slightly ahead of Goodesy.

ScottH
2nd February 2013, 04:56 PM
After the Swans beat the Crows in the final, an Adelaide fan told me the only consolation was being able to watch Goodesy in action..........When he kicked that goal in the Grand Final I thought it would be the crowning achievement of his career if we went on to win.

He's a champ, sometimes criticised because he doesn't get 30 touches a game or kick 10 goals every week, but name me another player who can do everything he does as well as he does. He can do it all. All-Australian ruckman, wingman and midfielder.........Too talented for his own good sometimes, as no-one could keep up his impossibly high standards every week. But even when he is not BOG or in the best players, he just does so many special things during a game.

Here's hoping we have another 3 or 4 years of Goodesy magic......

The crows game was probably his best game of the season.
Was great to see.

dimelb
2nd February 2013, 05:28 PM
The crows game was probably his best game of the season.
Was great to see.
Despite our past problems with the Crows, Adam has always played exceptionally well against them, and in at least one game in recent years we probably would have won if he hadn't been injured and forced off. It was wonderful to see him share that win, and in that final.