3rd October 2012, 06:31 AM
You can have your 2012 grand final

You can have the 2012 prelim final win over the Pies

You can have the 2012 QF win over the Crows at AAMI

You can have the 2005 GF

You can have Davis' miracle against the Cats in the 2005 SF

You can have the 2003 QF against the Power at AAMI

......any other game you wish to pick

My favourite will always be the last quarter against the Saints in the 2005 PF. All the pre-match hype about the Saints getting to a GF and winning their second flag, the channel 10 promo on that theme, all the commentary by the 10 team, us having a narrow loss in the QF and a miracle win in the SF, then coming out to kick 7 goals to none in the last quarter (and the 1 point the Saints scored was a great snap by Goodes to concede a behind).

Sneiderman kicking 3

Magic with 2

ROK having what I believe to be his first influencial game

Fantastic, and the best of the Swans highlights to watch on YouTube.

Big Al
3rd October 2012, 07:40 AM
I down know...the last 4 goals in a Grand Final to beat the hot favorites with:

- A Captain on one leg
- A Canadian Rugby Player holding fort in the ruck
- A defender with only one good ankle standing tall
- A discard who beat 2 hardened hawks to set up a goal
- A guy with 24 knee reconstructions kicking the sealer

is pretty hard to beat.

Not to mention that the neutrals are saying its one if the best Grand Finals ever.

I think I'll be watching this game over and over again for years to come.

mcs
3rd October 2012, 08:36 AM
Do we have to choose - can't they all be our favourites?

Primmy
3rd October 2012, 09:01 AM
Yep!

Cpt. Kirk
3rd October 2012, 10:39 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but in 2005 was there a list of apologys just before the 2005 grand final from all the journos having us winning the wooden spoon at the start of the year?

R-1
3rd October 2012, 10:44 AM
That was the prelim in 2003.

aardvark
3rd October 2012, 11:05 AM
And here it is....

Sydney Swans Apology 2003 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIkB5-wLl4k)

I just love this!!

S.U.D
3rd October 2012, 11:10 AM
Correct me if i am wrong but in 2005 was there a list of apologys just before the 2005 grand final from all the journos having us winning the wooden spoon at the start of the year?

No, 2005 was where the entire pre-game was about the Saints breaking their drought. I like the Saints, but the 10 coverage made me sick that night. To listen to the commentators swallow their words, including a certain Mr. T. Lane, is wonderful.

Lucky Knickers
3rd October 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm with you Aardvark. The Apology - one of the best ever. Thought they did a longer version after 2005.

sharp9
3rd October 2012, 08:54 PM
You're talking about my children....don't make me choose!
Except, of course, I was only at one of those games (2005 Prelim).....I put my phone on Record and commentated the last minute or so before the siren so I could have that noise forever - geez I got a few frosty looks from the Sainters :-)

albrotha
3rd October 2012, 09:26 PM
I had never seen this apology before. Thanks for sharing. Love it. Would be great if we could get one from Malthouse for 2012.

SwansFan1972
3rd October 2012, 11:09 PM
That 05 prelim was a great win (and it was great to be there), but for sheer spine tingling atmosphere, rapid heart rate, almost pass out excitement and pure 'WTF factor', the match the week before wins hands down for mine. When Davo kicked that last goal the earth felt like it moved and the stands definitely shook.

We were gone for all money, but got home with the most remarkable quarter of football I've ever witnessed (live or otherwise).

That whole finals series was incredible really. Like someone else said, it's like choosing between your children. Gotta love em all, and aren't we lucky how many of them there are! :)

Yuri H
3rd October 2012, 11:26 PM
I had never seen this apology before. Thanks for sharing. Love it. Would be great if we could get one from Malthouse for 2012.

Oh, I'd savour/save that forever.

J_Moore
4th October 2012, 12:45 AM
That 05 prelim was a great win (and it was great to be there), but for sheer spine tingling atmosphere, rapid heart rate, almost pass out excitement and pure 'WTF factor', the match the week before wins hands down for mine. When Davo kicked that last goal the earth felt like it moved and the stands definitely shook.

We were gone for all money, but got home with the most remarkable quarter of football I've ever witnessed (live or otherwise).

That whole finals series was incredible really. Like someone else said, it's like choosing between your children. Gotta love em all, and aren't we lucky how many of them there are! :)

Yep, still '05 SF for me. Strange, but there you go.

On the topic of the '05 PF being O'Keefe's first great game, the week before he nailed a 70m torpedo onto Davis' chest. Still my favourite Swans kick of all time.

Melbournehammer
4th October 2012, 07:57 AM
It's virtually impossible for me to split these games. Each has its own story.

The Geelong game involved driving up all day arriving to see a really wet scg, and a real slog of a game where nothing went right, but because of the low scoring we were still in the game. The last quarter will always stick in my mind for the sequence of events and the fact that I went with a Geelong fan who just walked out on me and said he'd see me tomorrow. The crowd went completely crazy and the noise was incredible. We went to the races the following day and backed a horse called fumbles as an omen tip from the previous night and it won at longish odds ! I have watched the last quarter on DVD many many times.

The following week was amazing. I sat behind the goals at the end the swans were kicking to in the last quarter. The previous year the saints had knocked us out at the mcg, and really had looked very good all season. We started so well that game, but all the talk during the game was that bbbbh was going to be suspended and would miss the gf if we won. I don't think at the ground they showed the maguire incident, or if they did I don't remember that. But after the first quarter the whole middle of the game seemed to flow the saints way. The last quarter most of us felt the saints would pull away on the balance of play. So when Schneider kicked those first couple and then mickey o kicked the one which bounced off Aussie jones face the turn around was so fast that it was difficult to comprehend. When Barry and mickey kicked their goals - one of which almost sailed directly to me - and the saints fans around just sat in stunned silence we knew we were home. The joy that we would be queue ing up for gf tickets that night and the next day was incredible.

This season feels different to me - almost like we as fans had nothing to lose because we had already won one recently. Going to us beat the pies at anz and watching Jetta run towards me was immensely satisfying.

But I still reckon being at kardinia park to watch Gary rohan run away from the cats and kick it from fifty is my favourite swans goal

Sandridge
5th October 2012, 12:10 AM
Know where you're coming from, S.U.D. All of the games you mentioned were magnificent and nothing can beat the two premierships but I've been following the Bloods for over 50 years and that 7 goal burst in 10 -12 minutes in the last quarter of the 2005 PF is the most devastating run I've ever seen from a Swans team!

dawson
5th October 2012, 12:35 AM
There used to be a time in our history (early 90s) where winning a single game was cause for massive celebration. Such being the case, love them all :) Some more than others but just thankful there are so many to choose from.

albrotha
5th October 2012, 12:50 AM
Most exhilarating moment was Davis goal v Cats to win. Recall dancing up the aisle in the O'Reilly stand when he kicked his first goal in the last quarter and the crowd around me thinking I was mad. Just knew we had broken the back of the Cats and it was going to be game on.
For the St. Kilda game the last quarter was bliss as the Swans just ran away with the game. My youngest was staying with Sainters who sent a txt half way into the last quarter stating " we're leaving". He ended up sleeping on the floor of our hotel with his mate who had also tea Elle's down from Sydney. The "sainters" were happy to celebrate the year before in our company when they won but when the result was reversed they could not face defeat. The 2005 grand final was elation and have the photograph of me with my two boys immediately after the siren placed on my work desk. At times when I feel a bit down I just look at the photo to remind me of a great moment in time. Plan to have a similar photo of this latest Day of GREATNESS placed on my work desk as well. Cannot wait to be at the parade through the Syndney streets tomorrow. Thanks to my great kids I am also attending the Champions Night tomorrow courtesy of a Fathers Day present. Another time to celebrate. This week has been fantastic.

Red
7th October 2012, 04:42 PM
My favourite will always be the last quarter against the Saints in the 2005 PF. All the pre-match hype about the Saints getting to a GF and winning their second flag, the channel 10 promo on that theme, all the commentary by the 10 team, us having a narrow loss in the QF and a miracle win in the SF, then coming out to kick 7 goals to none in the last quarter (and the 1 point the Saints scored was a great snap by Goodes to concede a behind).

Sneiderman kicking 3

Magic with 2

ROK having what I believe to be his first influencial game

Fantastic, and the best of the Swans highlights to watch on YouTube.
I'm with you S.U.D.

My GF refers to that game as "the shock and awe final", due entirely to that quarter and the collective look on the Saints' faces as it unfolded.

Wonderful memories -- we are so lucky to support a team that provides so many for us!

Cosmic Wizard
7th October 2012, 06:52 PM
Know where you're coming from, S.U.D. All of the games you mentioned were magnificent and nothing can beat the two premierships but I've been following the Bloods for over 50 years and that 7 goal burst in 10 -12 minutes in the last quarter of the 2005 PF is the most devastating run I've ever seen from a Swans team!

No this was the greatest Swans moment for me! :adore:adore:adore
I became a member after the loss of the 1996 GF, but never, ever though they would ever make another GF.
Never been to a AFL GF before, never could afford it, but my membership meant I had the chance to get a GF ticket.
As they piled on the goals, I suddenly realized that this was the year; was screaming so loud.
Then the drive to the SCG the next morning to register?? I can't quite recall why we had to go the SCG.
And something in me told me we were going to win!

Xie Shan
7th October 2012, 06:57 PM
My GF refers to that game as "the shock and awe final", due entirely to that quarter and the collective look on the Saints' faces as it unfolded.

Love it, this really does describe that game perfectly.