PDA

View Full Version : Will Jude retire?

BillyRayCypress
7th October 2012, 11:15 PM
As there is a great deal of guessing on who goes to make way for Tippet, there is a real decision to be made for Jude.

I would imagine that with such a badly damaged ACL, he would have to consider hanging up the boots. Now would be the best time to do it.

A LARS job might give him another full year if he wanted to continue.

My guess is that he retires but the Club gives him the choice. I think that was the case for Fosdike when he retired. Although it didn't help the playing group/list at the time when a player retires before the season starts.

alison.z
7th October 2012, 11:16 PM
I heard today the Swans have said there's a spot on the list for him if he wants it but he's yet to make a decision ...

R-1
7th October 2012, 11:17 PM
I feel like he probably should. His knees sound like they're in terrible shape.

Hazcam
8th October 2012, 12:29 AM
Got nothing else to prove. Walk out on top the world.

We have him covered. Last thing I wanna see is him breaking down and calling it quits in that manner. Go out in your own terms.

Jeffers1984
8th October 2012, 07:25 AM
Perfect time for him to bow out tbh. I wouldn't begrudge him if he played on though but I feel that it's a good time for Parker to get his spot

erica
8th October 2012, 07:27 AM
I'm sure he'll make an announcement after he decides and tells the club. I doubt he'll consider RWO speculation.

bondy
8th October 2012, 07:46 AM
I doubt he'll consider RWO speculation.

That surprises me.

Also, I reckon he'll give it another year. He was outstanding again in 2012 and didn't look like slowing down until the injury.

ScottH
8th October 2012, 08:20 AM
Perfect time for him to bow out tbh. I wouldn't begrudge him if he played on though but I feel that it's a good time for Parker to get his spot

Agree. Would be good for him to go out on top. However sad it will be if he does.
Be nice for him to be in the team that went back to back!! ;)

Jewels
8th October 2012, 09:20 AM
Got nothing else to prove. Walk out on top the world.

We have him covered. Last thing I wanna see is him breaking down and calling it quits in that manner. Go out in your own terms.

My thoughts exactly, though seeing this team without Jude is unimaginable.

jono2707
8th October 2012, 09:26 AM
I still reckon if he was gonna do it he would have announced it on GF Day. I therefore expect to see him running around next year at this stage...

Rod_
8th October 2012, 10:07 AM
So will he retire and will Goodesy go with him?

Big questions that we will find out by the 26th of this month.

I believe that both have nothing more to prove, however both still have the skills to compete, if they want too..... It is not up to me to tell these champions when to go!

Time to lead time to follow and a time to get out of the way! (Choice is theirs to when they have had enough. Listen to your body! would be my words of wisdom)

Rod_

Swansinger
8th October 2012, 10:08 AM
Several of us on RWO , some time ago , called that he will retire.
Still , not one of us is privvy to all factors affecting any such decision.
Whatever the decision , I trust it will be the right one for both the club and for Jude.

aardvark
8th October 2012, 10:13 AM
I guess it will depend on whether the club feels they have someone who can do his job better than him. Eg. Parker.

Matty10
8th October 2012, 10:20 AM
Since when was playing AFL just about having something to prove?

If the man enjoys playing football for the Swans, and management have a spot for him to play, why would he retire? Going out on a high might be the poetic way to call it a day, but some people like to keep going until, for whatever reason, they are unable to continue. It is up to Jude to decide if that time is now.

DamY
8th October 2012, 11:23 AM
I remember watching the Guernsey presentation earlier this year, and Goodes saying that he wanted to share the feeling of a Premiership win with his brothers from 2006. I thought it was a lofty dream after the ultimately unsatisfying 2011 season (falling apart against Hawthorn was a bitter pill) but this season they proved many wrong. It must be quite satisfying for the senior players, and hopefully they make the right decision for themselves. Jude has given pretty much everything in his career, he deserves some time to consider!

swansprincess
8th October 2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149345/default.aspx

club seems to think he will play on

Go Swannies
8th October 2012, 12:14 PM
Jude told me on Saturday that he'll play on. But he would say that, wouldn't he?

wolftone57
8th October 2012, 06:31 PM
As much as I admire him I think with this last injury he would be crazy to play on. As you get older it is just that bit harder to come up every week and let's face it him, Goodsie and Ryano are freaks to play even this long. There is only one bigger freak in the AFL and that is Fletcher. The way Jude throws hid body into the contest it is a wonder he is still living let alone playing. I believe it is time to hang up the boots because of this injury. I would hate it if he got not far into the season and went down again that would be heartbreaking!!!

Go Swannies
8th October 2012, 06:50 PM
I'd like Jude to retire. Not that he won't be missed but his knees won't last very long - and another concussion might be the one that does damage. Leave on the high note not as the "stayed too long and failed".

Melbourne_Blood
8th October 2012, 06:54 PM
It is a shame when players play on that 1 year too long. Kirky was one I feel could've hung them up a season before he did. Was quite ineffectuall in many games in his last season. Would hate to see Jude do that. Then again, if he can perform to the standard he did this year, then he should definitely play on.

Big Al
8th October 2012, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Jude retire as a 3 time Premiership player but maybe that's being a bit greedy.

rojo
8th October 2012, 09:08 PM
While the excitement and thrill of helping the team to a 2nd premiership are still fresh it must be so difficult to make such a huge decision - you would surely want to play on. The moment of truth would be when you were pulling on the boots for a new pre season - have I got it in me to do this one more time. Trouble is the decision has to be made now.

longmile
8th October 2012, 09:13 PM
I'm gonna come out and say that it'd be best if he retired this year. He has been a magnificent player I don't want to see him stiffen up and slow down in his final year from still carrying the PLC. I think its time to let one of the younger players through as well, give Parker a full run. It'd also help ease the mass of retirements that'd come in the next 2-3 years.

Mike_B
8th October 2012, 09:24 PM
While the excitement and thrill of helping the team to a 2nd premiership are still fresh it must be so difficult to make such a huge decision - you would surely want to play on. The moment of truth would be when you were pulling on the boots for a new pre season - have I got it in me to do this one more time. Trouble is the decision has to be made now.

Sounds a lot like Shane Crawford - initially said he'd play on, then changed his mind.

Swansongster
8th October 2012, 11:08 PM
Sounds a lot like Shane Crawford - initially said he'd play on, then changed his mind.

Therein may lie the crux of his decision. Not sure where I heard it - might've been ABC Grandstand - but he has expressed an interest in media work post footy (ala Crawford). If his manager can land a deal or two in that area, it may appear as an easier road to stay in the game he obviously loves.

For example, the AFL has flagged its intention to invest heavily in media services in the foreseeable future and it is also making a big play at growing the Sydney market. As a 300-plus gamer he is a life member at the big house so could Jude be set to become the face of AFL in Sydney (as a media figurehead/presenter/commentator)?

If not Big Daddy, then some other media outlet may want to add his reputation to the team and he does still look good and also speaks very well and knowledgably about the game.

So yeah, IMHO, like Crawford he may change his mind and start a media career.

swansrob
8th October 2012, 11:22 PM
Jude will do whatever he feels is best for not just himself, but the club. If he feels he can make a difference next season, he'll play on; if he's not so sure, he won't. I'm happy to back Jude in which ever way he goes. Whether he bows out now or in a years' time, he is an all time champion of this club and one if the most respected blokes in the competition. Not a bad way to go out.

hot potato
9th October 2012, 06:15 AM
So the overwhelming wisdom of RWO is that it's Game Over JUde.
A magnificent contribution mate. The body can only take so much and it's a fairytale end to an awesome career in a massively demanding occupation.

Swansinger
9th October 2012, 09:14 AM
So the overwhelming wisdom of RWO is that it's Game Over JUde.
A magnificent contribution mate. The body can only take so much and it's a fairytale end to an awesome career in a massively demanding occupation.

No , it's not - not yet . This is a fan forum where everybody has a feeling /opinion , but can do no more than guess at all the pros and cons in this decision making process.
If RWO "wisdom" held sway on All Things Swans , we probably wouldn't have won That Big Shiny Cup.

Swansongster
9th October 2012, 09:18 AM
For the record, I will be happy with whatever he decides and I am grateful to the club for allowing him to decide. Nothing Jude does in the future will diminish the standing he has with the club and its fans. What a legend.

Jewels
9th October 2012, 10:14 AM
For the record, I will be happy with whatever he decides and I am grateful to the club for allowing him to decide. Nothing Jude does in the future will diminish the standing he has with the club and its fans. What a legend.

Hear, Hear.

Doctor J.
9th October 2012, 10:38 AM
No , it's not - not yet . This is a fan forum where everybody has a feeling /opinion , but can do no more than guess at all the pros and cons in this decision making process.
If RWO "wisdom" held sway on All Things Swans , we probably wouldn't have won That Big Shiny Cup.

You think so!!!!
No surely not.

Doctor
9th October 2012, 11:06 AM
I reckon he'll give it one more year, as long as his knee is ok.

DA_Swan
10th October 2012, 07:17 PM
Jude has been a fantastic player for us - I hope he takes Kirk's spot at Channel 7 as there is a vacancy - we need to get games into Rohan, Lamb and Mitchell

Bennymno4
10th October 2012, 07:56 PM
Hear, Hear.

Agreed heartily

Bennymno4
10th October 2012, 08:02 PM
Having read a lot of the threads on here for quite a while. Not only would we not have won it, we would not have tried! Why? Because we should play 'young kids' because we were not good enough to win in 2012 and were 'ruining' young players careers by keeping them in the neafl.

Funny how all that stuff is quiet now.

Instead we now have 'lets trade' one our kpp coz we have so much untapped defensive talent in the wings. It is staggering

goswannie14
10th October 2012, 08:59 PM
Having read a lot of the threads on here for quite a while. Not only would we not have won it, we would not have tried! Why? Because we should play 'young kids' because we were not good enough to win in 2012 and were 'ruining' young players careers by keeping them in the neafl.

Funny how all that stuff is quiet now.

Instead we now have 'lets trade' one our kpp coz we have so much untapped defensive talent in the wings. It is staggeringYep.....welcome to RWO!!!

BillyRayCypress
10th October 2012, 09:29 PM
For example, the AFL has flagged its intention to invest heavily in media services in the foreseeable future and it is also making a big play at growing the Sydney market. As a 300-plus gamer he is a life member at the big house so could Jude be set to become the face of AFL in Sydney (as a media figurehead/presenter/commentator)?

It would be a brilliant appointment if they did.

He has great communication skills and is really approachable. I could not think of anyone better for the role.

The amount of work he could do going around visiting schools would make a huge difference to recruiting especially in the Under 10 age groups and Auskick. Find an ailing Junior Footy Club and you will find they have a very poor Auskick participation level and few numbers in the Under 10 and below age groups.

His first job could be to do the "Cup Tour".