PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favourite Swans moment since 1996

Hazcam
12th October 2012, 11:51 PM
Here are the options:

1. "Any score will do" - Plugger gets us into the 1996 grand final with a behind
1996 PF Sydney Swans V Essendon - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIyJB_TgiEI)

2. "Captain courageous leads the way" - Having lost our first 3 games of the season and down by 48 points (13-61) near half-time against North Melbourne. Paul Kelly inspires a stunning comeback to win by 2 points!
Swannies Classics: Round 4, 1999 vs North Melbourne - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_xm_yn09GU)

3. "Plugger's 1300th" - Breaks Gordon Coventry's 62 year record haul of 1299 goals.
Tony Lockett kicks 1300th goal, June 1999. 1300 Sydney Swans - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uDD_cnpvc)

4. "Impossible is nothing" - Port Adelaide were near unbackable favourites to win their Qualifying Final against the swans in 2003. But a fantastic all round team effort shut down Port for 3 quarters and withstood a late charge to seal a home preliminary final
One of the Sydney Swans all time great wins - 1st Qualifying Final 2003 - AFL - Highlights - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oro4_a0zYo)

5. "Nick Davis! Nick Davis! I don't believe it! I see but I don't believe it!" - 4 final quarter goals in a semi final against Geelong puts this man into AFL folklore. Swans were down by 22 points and not looking like kicking a goal, Davis pulls off a stunning personal display of brilliance to get the swans home.
FOUR Nick Davis Goals v Geelong Cats @ SCG - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvH5yPHOaVg)

6. "Leo Barry you star!" - Final roll of the dice by Dean Cox with seconds remaining in the 2005 Grand Final and Barry pulls off a mark for the ages. Swans win their first premiership in 72 years.
2005 AFL Grand Final Highlights - Sydney Swans v West Coast Eagles - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpCf1h6LLt0)

7. "Geelong's record winning streak broken" - Having been in a 4 year 29 game home winning streak. Sydney lead at every interval to win by 13 points in an intense game
Geelong Cats v Sydney Swans - Highlights - AFL Round 23 2011 - Kardinia Park - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9u_u9d6gok)

8. "They've done it. What a team. It's that culture the Bloods! That's what it's all about!" - No one gave us a chance against the hawks. Swans prevailed a 3rd quarter hawks surge to kick the final 4 goals and win the 2012 grand final by 10 points. Sealed by a magical Nick Malceski snap.
The final two minutes - AFL Grand Final - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LnCMzlv5k)

Melbournehammer
13th October 2012, 01:21 AM
I was at five of those games, and watched the other three on tv. I personally have to say the cats game at skilled. The gfs were amazing, the experience of nick Davis in the quarter was slightly unbelievable, but the stunned expressions of the cat fans at skilled, especially in the context of the mcveigh situation I will never forget. Plus it featured my all time favourite goal as Gary rohan just went past Geelong players like they were standing still. Standing on the terraces at skilled where I have seen many disappointments was just a ripping feeling.

Vonsteinman
13th October 2012, 03:47 AM
Hard to go past Barry's mark and that win but..... 2003, in Adelaide. That was one special effort. Kirky bouncing back up after being lifted by Pickett....

Special mention to Micky's goal in Perth in '06 QF...

Bloody Hell
13th October 2012, 04:36 AM
Nick Davis.

Greatest finals quarter by an individual I have seen. Kicked half the teams score in a quarter. No Davis, no 2005 premiership and maybe the Cats dynasty starts a couple of years earlier.

Jewels
13th October 2012, 08:44 AM
Wow, it's like trying to pick which one is your favourite child! :hopelessness:

goswannie14
13th October 2012, 09:28 AM
Nick Davis.

Greatest finals quarter by an individual I have seen. Kicked half the teams score in a quarter. No Davis, no 2005 premiership and maybe the Cats dynasty starts a couple of years earlier.Yep, what BH said!

dimelb
13th October 2012, 09:46 AM
Too true!
All wonderful moments, and we've replayed them all on tape or dvd more than once. But in a tight clinch, for me it has to be Nick Davis. I still get goosebumps writing this down!

Jewels
13th October 2012, 10:09 AM
Too true!
All wonderful moments, and we've replayed them all on tape or dvd more than once. But in a tight clinch, for me it has to be Nick Davis. I still get goosebumps writing this down!

Yep Dim I agree and that's the one I ended up voting for.
I love them all but that's the one that still gives me goosebumps!

Big Al
13th October 2012, 10:19 AM
My favourite happened 2 weeks ago. I got to share the moment with my nephew and 2 of my best mates. Precious moments that will stay with me forever.

Primmy
13th October 2012, 10:51 AM
Wow, it's like trying to pick which one is your favourite child! :hopelessness:Absolutely. I voted for 2003 as my favourite moment as it has been for so long. But Nic Davis. And my best boy Mal.

Can I vote 3 times? going to try.

This is a MEAN Poll

Hazcam
13th October 2012, 11:16 AM
Ive been lucky to have seen all of these, 5 live and 3 on TV. I was going to include Magics goal in the 06 QF but put the Geelong game instead. Another special one I'll never forget is the 1998 QF against St. Kilda and the last play between Winmar and O'loughlin.

They're all special in different ways and contexts, I think I've got the best 8 unless I've missed an obvious one?

I went for this years GF just because it was the first live premiership win for me and erased my 06 heartache.

teddys mum
13th October 2012, 11:32 AM
The Bradshaw torpedo goal against the Lions was pretty cool - not my favourite - but certainly memorable.

Primmy
13th October 2012, 11:47 AM
SUPER MEAN poll. I can't vote for the rest of my favourite BIG moments.

aardvark
13th October 2012, 11:55 AM
Nick Davis for me. His effort was just super human, freakish.

ScottH
13th October 2012, 12:14 PM
I went for pluggers point. Probably the most exciting moment because it was the first really important moment for the club as Sydney.

Wardy
13th October 2012, 08:05 PM
3 amazing moments- 2005 Nick Davis and the grand final - shared that with dear dear friends Ange & Vin - sadly Vin passed away in May this year. And the granny 2 weeks ago I shared that with Al & Jordan with cameo appearances by Jewels , the ORBS, Aardvark, Go Swannies, triple B & Tim. So whilst Ange wasn't at the game this time she was in The Uk for Vins memorial service but managed to watch the game in a pub in Manchester - and Vin - he watched over all of us at the MCG. The win 2 weeks ago really was a fabulous bright light on a what has been a pretty sad year.

undy
13th October 2012, 10:03 PM
The one I missed that I'm most cranky about (not shortlisted) - Jetta's first goal.

One that I was there for that really stands out, but I'm not clear why - the West Coast game at the SCG in the rain (maybe it was 95, not 96 though). For some reason I can still remember the atmosphere very clearly.

...OK, the WC game was round 22, 1996 (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/134355/default.aspx) - now I understand why it was such a big game - had forgotten the context.

Mel
13th October 2012, 11:57 PM
Argh, it really is like picking your favourite child! I only have vague, half-formed memories of 96. I was in the stand on Yabbas Hill somewhere. Lockett's record-breaker is slightly clearer as are the othe pre 05 ones. I remember that final quarter in the 2005 semi as clear as day. I was down the other end of the ground and I remember just seeing the ball go through for the last goal, not knowing, but knowing anyway who was responsible. Awesome! Then when the siren went in the GF... That year was brilliant. This year had a feeling that something was building and winning it all was just brilliant again, but I think I'll go with the 05 Semi :)

Bloody Hell
14th October 2012, 01:15 AM
Another one was when Roosy came in to replace Eade to coach a few games at the end of the season.

I think it was against Freo - all the players got around Roos at the end of the game while the crowd chanted Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooos....that was a real moment in the Swans Sydney history. How different things could have been if Wallace was leading the club.... think Richmond.

A sliding doors moment.

GongSwan
14th October 2012, 08:10 AM
I went for 96 because it was the biggest moment I've attended in Swans history, and possibly teh greatest game I've seen live

Big Al
14th October 2012, 08:55 AM
One moment not mentioned... When Jordan and I were doing the scoreboard for the Ressies at the Lakeside Oval last year the Powerade Girl gave us a drink. (well gave Jordan a drink and barely saw me there but still a special moment)

cruiser
14th October 2012, 09:44 AM
Special moment number nine would have to be the 2005 PF when Schneider out smarted his St Kilda opponent just inside the square and bolted away, kicking the goal that sealed our spot in the 2005 GF.

Hazcam
14th October 2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah I didn't know how many you could put in the poll. I was going to put the whole last quarter of that pf. 7 goals in 9 breathtaking minutes. Ugly ducklings eh Demetriou?

The other notable was Jettas goal in this years pf

Hazcam
14th October 2012, 02:43 PM
Another one was when Roosy came in to replace Eade to coach a few games at the end of the season.

I think it was against Freo - all the players got around Roos at the end of the game while the crowd chanted Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooos....that was a real moment in the Swans Sydney history. How different things could have been if Wallace was leading the club.... think Richmond.

A sliding doors moment.

Was that the last game of the season? I remember we played Ricmond in the last game at ANZ and there was 43,000 fans and they all belted out ROOOOOOS after the game in a show of support.

Looking back on 2002, Rocket and the swans were very unlucky not to have made the top 4 even.

Some of those close games could easily have gone our way. There was like 7 games decided by under 10 points.

I recall the first ever game at ANZ against the bombers and Mott missed a sitter directly in front and we lost by 2.

Hazcam
14th October 2012, 02:54 PM

A sliding doors moment.

Was that the last game of the season? I remember we played Ricmond in the last game at ANZ and there was 43,000 fans and they all belted out ROOOOOOS after the game in a show of support.

Looking back on 2002, Rocket and the swans were very unlucky not to have made the top 4 even.

Some of those close games could easily have gone our way. There was like 7 games decided by under 10 points that we lost.

I recall the first ever game at ANZ against the bombers and Mott missed a sitter directly in front and we lost by 2.

Hartijon
14th October 2012, 05:24 PM
MOL goaling then paying out the WC ferals rates really high too. Top moment ,incredibly funny and hard to top!

Cheer_Cheer
14th October 2012, 06:20 PM
The Cressa goal against the Roos on 2002 always has a special place in my heart..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Kav0MALI

Xie Shan
14th October 2012, 10:39 PM
Wow, I think that was the first time I've seen footage of that Cresswell goal since it happened!

Most significant moment would be the Leo Barry mark because it did win our first premiership in 72 years, but having had a few days to allow the premiership win to sink in, my vote went to Malceski's goal. What set this year apart for me was that this has been the highest level I have seen a Swans team play at consistently, and this year's grand final was arguably the best quality match out of the ones listed. I didn't see much of 1996 when we finished minor premiers, so that H&A season probably just nudges out this one, but in terms of achievement in finals, this year is hard to beat - we didn't really give the Crows or Pies a sniff as led throughout, and more than doubled our 2005 grand final winning margin! :p

Plugger46
15th October 2012, 09:59 AM
Davo for me. We were deadset gone, straight sets was on. The most significant individual quarter you could possibly imagine.

I wonder what would have happened if we had lost that game. A win like that builds belief etc. We certainly wouldn't have been able to win 2005, would we have had the confidence to do what we did in '06? Would the club be as strong as it is today? Impossible to answer but what a great moment.

What happened two weeks ago isn't far behind. Just total joy and to share it with all my family was pretty special.

Doctor
15th October 2012, 10:40 AM
I realise that we wouldn't have been in the GF without Davo's magical quarter but I can't go past the actual Premiership win. Davo runs a close second.

CureTheSane
15th October 2012, 10:44 AM
Leo's mark led to the best Swans related stated I have ever found myself in.

R-1
15th October 2012, 11:03 AM
I can't go past Nick Davis. One of the truly astonishing things I've ever had the privilege of witnessing, particularly being down that end two bays from the goals.

top40
15th October 2012, 11:20 AM
Can't get away from the nominated top 5, whereupon I will go for the 2012 Premiership. My special mention is the Round 6 2003 win against Collingwood at Docklands.

satchmopugdog
15th October 2012, 01:47 PM

Agree...they all stand alone as spine-tingling,goosebump moments when the release of emotion comes out as tears and an undescrible feeling of euphoria.....re-watching them has got the blood pumping I can tell you

Jimitron5000
15th October 2012, 09:23 PM
2005 GF for me, mainly because of where I watched it.
It was 5:30 in the morning in Rome and I watched it out the front of a very closed Druids Rock Irish bar. After some begging the night before, the bar staff agreed to leave the TV on and turned it to face the street so us footy fans could stand out the front and watch it. A cafe up the road (very thoughtfully) left all their chairs out the front, and another cafe nearby was still open selling beers. About 15-20 people were there, drinks were flowing and made for a great time.

Later on in the day I remember singing 'Cheer Cheer the Red and the White' to a very confused 60-something American couple I met on a train a few days earlier.

I had my Swans jumper on and a Collingwood fan bought me drinks all night (good Pies fans do exist!)

Big Al
16th October 2012, 05:09 AM
2005 GF for me, mainly because of where I watched it.
It was 5:30 in the morning in Rome and I watched it out the front of a very closed Druids Rock Irish bar. After some begging the night before, the bar staff agreed to leave the TV on and turned it to face the street so us footy fans could stand out the front and watch it. A cafe up the road (very thoughtfully) left all their chairs out the front, and another cafe nearby was still open selling beers. About 15-20 people were there, drinks were flowing and made for a great time.

Later on in the day I remember singing 'Cheer Cheer the Red and the White' to a very confused 60-something American couple I met on a train a few days earlier.

I had my Swans jumper on and a Collingwood fan bought me drinks all night (good Pies fans do exist!)

Absolutely love it. (clap)

Big Al
16th October 2012, 05:16 AM
One thing does that does resonate with me when I see lists like these is how lucky we are as a supporter group that we follow a club like this. While a strong heart is a prerequisite to follow this club I don't think any of use would have it any other way.

I've used this quote before but it so applies to the Sydney Swans

"The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." Vince Lombardi.

Vince would have loved the Sydney Swans I reckon.

Jewels
16th October 2012, 08:46 AM
One thing does that does resonate with me when I see lists like these is how lucky we are as a supporter group that we follow a club like this. While a strong heart is a prerequisite to follow this club I don't think any of use would have it any other way.

"The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." Vince Lombardi.

Hear, hear Al!

Xie Shan
16th October 2012, 09:40 AM

Love this quote Al. I might even steal it for my signature! ;)

Wardy
16th October 2012, 10:17 AM

Spot on my friend - cardiologists love & understand Swans fans!!! :wink:

erica
16th October 2012, 11:12 AM
That ambulance at games isn't standing by for the players. It's for the Swans fans.

barry
16th October 2012, 01:21 PM
To me 2005 was the watershed moment. Every other game we played as "Sydney" were just games of footy.
2005 meant "@@@@, we can actually win these things".
2006 was a disappointment. As much as the attitude of Roos afterwards which seemed to imply "well at least we won 2005" as an excuse.
2012 meant 2005 wasnt an aboration, and that in itself is very pleasing.

For me, the swans didnt get their infrastructure in place until start of 1995, and so the modern era can only be judged from that point forward.
In the 18 season since, we have made 4 grand finals, and won 2. Thats an above average strike rate. In fact, in an 18 team comp, the average expectation is 2 grand finals and 1 flag.

dimelb
16th October 2012, 02:56 PM
That ambulance at games isn't standing by for the players. It's for the Swans fans.
:D

Mark Busuttil
19th October 2012, 09:58 PM
I was at 96 prelim & that was amazing but they were all amazing. At 2005 GF, I cried like a baby & at this GF I collapsed in my chair when we kicked the last goal. This poll is like trying to pick your favorite child.