PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Walsh - picks 35 and 68 !

Auntie.Gerald
22nd October 2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/sydney-swans-pick-up-tommy-walsh-from-st-kilda/story-e6frexni-1226169155532

so after watching tommy playing Seniors and ressies where do we think he will evolve to if at all

could he become a serious KPP defender in the near future like a Ted Richards.........ie teddy only got it together at 27/28 yrs of age to become a star defender.

tabs
22nd October 2012, 04:04 PM
i think when LRT hangs ups the boots he could replace him as a forward holding a key back that also plays as a tall goal kicking forward

Auntie.Gerald
22nd October 2012, 04:05 PM
comments from 2011 trade time

Longmire said....... it was possible Walsh and Morton could line up alongside Swans spearhead Sam Reid to boost Sydney's forward line strength next year.

i wonder if he is actually alot closer to playing upfront then we realise?

obviously KP defender is a long term project with Ted, Heath and AJ doing so well..............but was he actually not that far behind Mike Pyke and LRT for a forward role?

Spang dropped off with injury.......Everitt was interesting for bursts and not full games

swanspant12
22nd October 2012, 04:35 PM
Competes well. Doesn't have the best footy smarts...I see him as becoming a solid defender with his brut body. We'll see how he develops.

barry
22nd October 2012, 05:27 PM
Competes well. Doesn't have the best footy smarts...I see him as becoming a solid defender with his brut body. We'll see how he develops.

I agree.

But being key position size, its going to be very hard transition to AFL for him. You can play flankers like Kennelly in, and if they get lost the impact is small. A key position CHB would get quickly exposed and lose you a game or two if not quite ready.

But saying that, LRT took on the key defensive role in 2005 and did ok.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd October 2012, 06:12 PM
cant believe LRT did such a great job at such a young age........ for a convert !

i must have been around 22yrs of age at the most !

swanspant12
22nd October 2012, 06:17 PM
I agree.

But being key position size, its going to be very hard transition to AFL for him. You can play flankers like Kennelly in, and if they get lost the impact is small. A key position CHB would get quickly exposed and lose you a game or two if not quite ready.

But saying that, LRT took on the key defensive role in 2005 and did ok.

I definitely don't see Walsh becoming a CHF. Just doesn't have the skills and nous to take on that role IMO. Walshy would be more suited to a CHB role as he's strong, quick, decent hands and won't get caught out as much. Give him a role of stopping a key CHF, and tell him to punch and annoy the hell out of one and he will become key. His size will be utilised very well there.

Nico
22nd October 2012, 07:34 PM
Walsh - on what I have seen he is simply a NO. Will go down in the annuls of the AFL as one of those players who only played a handful of games and will get a mention from time to time as being part of the "Irish Experiment". Could even be the recipient of trivia night questions.

swanspant12
22nd October 2012, 07:38 PM
Walsh - on what I have seen he is simply a NO. Will go down in the annuls of the AFL as one of those players who only played a handful of games and will get a mention from time to time as being part of the "Irish Experiment". Could even be the recipient of trivia night questions.

I wouldn't right him off just yet. Swannies know how to develop. I think they've seen enough of him as a forward, but he's got solid attributes to make it as a backman.

TakeTheSaucepan
22nd October 2012, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't right him off just yet. Swannies know how to develop. I think they've seen enough of him as a forward, but he's got solid attributes to make it as a backman.

You're right on the money. Even as a backman, I have my doubts. He just doesn't read the ball or the game well. Nice size, but that's about it. Don't forget he'll be 25 by the start of the next season. You can't keep holding on to blokes like this for long.

BillyRayCypress
22nd October 2012, 08:14 PM
You're right on the money. Even as a backman, I have my doubts. He just doesn't read the ball or the game well. Nice size, but that's about it. Don't forget he'll be 25 by the start of the next season. You can't keep holding on to blokes like this for long.

I agree. Lets get rid of Pyke too and saves ourselves some misery. :D

stellation
23rd October 2012, 07:21 AM
This thread title came up in the RWO Facebook feed and I initially thought we'd traded Tommy and those picks for Tippett. :)

ScottH
23rd October 2012, 08:24 AM
This thread title came up in the RWO Facebook feed and I initially thought we'd traded Tommy and those picks for Tippett. :)

Me and some others thought the same.

(so you're on facebook?? * goes off to snoop * )

Ruck'n'Roll
23rd October 2012, 09:20 AM
I watch the ressies and my initial impression was wtf? He was very ordinary, but by halfway through the season I had reversed my opinion, he was seriously showing some very good signs. If we weren't(?) getting Tippett I would have been expecting to see him up forward fulltime.

Now though, I'm not sure what will happen, as TTS said, he is already 25 (and the same age as White). Even if we continue to play 3 tall forwards, I can't see there being room unless we play Tippett as 2nd ruck, and LRT is employed elsewhere.

And at 25, can he sit around waiting to succeed a key defender like Grundy (who's only 2 years older) or even SuperTed, who surely must have at least a couple more seasons in him.

BIG PUZZLE

jono2707
23rd October 2012, 09:35 AM
I was impressed in the International Rules last year and was happy we got him. Happy to give him more time and see what we can do with him over the next few years. At this stage he is a good depth player, and I'd expect him to have more improvement in him. I wouldn't be too quick to write him off just yet....