PDA

View Full Version : Father Sons

Ruck'n'Roll
7th November 2012, 12:23 PM
Just noticed a bit in the HeraldSun (etc. etc) about the son of Paul Temay being looked at in the draft. He's not available for father son because the AFL lifted the level up to 100 games (I think in response to the Barry Lawrence nonsense).

But the new bidding system ensures that no club gets a "free shot" ~ we had to use a first round choice for young Mitchell.

It seems a crying shame that father-sons are discouraged this way by the AFL, as a fan I get all warm and fuzzy when I see a kid following his father into the red and white.

BeeEmmAre
7th November 2012, 05:03 PM
Yep. Drop it back to 50.

Doctor J.
7th November 2012, 06:34 PM
No problem with the bidding system. Stops Geelong getting Gary Ablett for a 3rd round pick and then being able to use the 1st round for Jimmy Bartels.

Geelong were very lucky with their father son selections.

Ablett,
Scarlett
Hawkins

All picked up with 3rd rounders.

Agree the no of games is too high. Should be around 50 games.

BeeEmmAre
7th November 2012, 10:34 PM
Agree completely Doc. Like the bidding, but lower the qualification

Ruck'n'Roll
12th November 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure a 50 game qualification isn't too high anyway.

Imagine if your father played in the VFL, I'm pretty sure the entire family would be that proud that he made it that the would the exact number of games wouldn't alter that sense of relationship with a team one jot.

And from this supporters point of view, I'd be very disappointed if Archibold Doyle the brilliant young ruckman that dominated the U18's with Vic Country, didn't get to come to the Swans under the father and son rule because his father Stephen's injury decimated 8 year career only produced 47 games. Just as I was miffed to see the son of 47 game Swan player and former assistant coach and selector playing for St.Kilda.

MattW
17th August 2020, 10:02 PM
Oooo. ;) (Swipe left to see image number 2.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD-2dMVH9_m/?igshid=fkdnc1hi2ppy

bloodspirit
19th August 2020, 05:05 PM
Nice one, MattW. Cute pic.

I wonder how it feels to be "Ben", the coach?