PDA

View Full Version : Amon Buchanan returns to Lakeside.

Lucky Knickers
16th November 2012, 10:47 AM
Amon Buchanan was at the Swans Academy training on Wed night this week. He was working with the U15 & U17 squads taking them through their skills session and did run a 3km with them.
Good to see Monty back.

magic.merkin
16th November 2012, 10:57 AM
Huzzah a blood brother back in the fold.

Interesting that him and Davis which both left under not the perfect of circumstances, and have still returned to the club. I can only guess that the situations were handled as well as possible at the time, and we are truly interested in keeping our past players involved (right back through to the SMFC past players) . Fantastic.

I also wonder after all these years if Schneider will return to his home state or stay down in Vic when it's all said and done? Dempster is a Vic boy so I guess he will remain.

Industrial Fan
16th November 2012, 11:55 AM
What were the less than perfect circumstances Buchanan left in? I know he was traded, but seems the club did its best to get him another opportunity.

magic.merkin
16th November 2012, 12:07 PM
What were the less than perfect circumstances Buchanan left in? I know he was traded, but seems the club did its best to get him another opportunity.

Well no one likes being told at 27 you won't be getting opportunities at a club you won a flag at only 4 years earlier. Hence they handled it well and got him a gig elsewhere, and he was happy enough to return.

Of course all guess work as this forum caper tends to be. :)

MightyBloods
16th November 2012, 12:16 PM
Premiership players will ALWAYS be special as far as I'm concerned.

BillyRayCypress
16th November 2012, 01:10 PM
Amon Buchanan was at the Swans Academy training on Wed night this week. He was working with the U15 & U17 squads taking them through their skills session and did run a 3km with them.
Good to see Monty back.

The Swans don't have an U15 and U17 age group in the Academy.

It is only even years (12,14,16) and the U16's are the only group training at the moment as they have commenced their pre-season training for next season.

BeeEmmAre
16th November 2012, 01:13 PM
Premiership players will ALWAYS be special as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely Yes. Although they must wait until retirement to return to that status if they went to another club of their own accord.

TheGong
16th November 2012, 01:25 PM
Swans have U12 to U15 academy groups.

I think the U15's are trialling at the moment for selection in the U16 group. Apparently some culling of numbers occurs at this stage.

There is a U19 academy group. They provide the reserves top-up players. Perhaps they are commencing pre-season training.

Doctor
16th November 2012, 02:15 PM
The Swans don't have an U15 and U17 age group in the Academy.

It is only even years (12,14,16) and the U16's are the only group training at the moment as they have commenced their pre-season training for next season.

Better tell my son. He just spent the year in the U13s.

BillyRayCypress
16th November 2012, 02:47 PM
The 5 boys from our Club were in even age groups. Although Sydney comp is running odds and evens groups depending on the location.

I know the heavy culling doesn't start until they reach the U16 age bracket. From 16 on, its the more talented players whereas below that age group its a much wider skill intake with the benefit of the $400 odd cost to Mum and Dad.

I didn't know they had an U19 group. I thought that would have been past recruiting age.

Primmy
16th November 2012, 03:16 PM
I am so glad the Hobbit is back from his adventures up north. The look on his face after his "Big Game Goal" is etched into my eyeballs. Much fondness for the kid. (No he would have reached bloke status by now, wouldn't he?)

Lucky Knickers
16th November 2012, 05:40 PM
That was what Dennis Carroll told the group of us that were there. There were definitely two squads going through their paces. The youngsters were going through benchmarking. Approx 55 that would be cut to the squad of 40 for the u16s as Gong said. The older boys were eligible for 2013 draft IIRC but happy to be corrected.
Chris Smith was interesting to listen to about the benchmarking process and how they are looking for runners with skills but it really did come down to attitude.
There was one kid, I think in the older age group who runs a 9min-ish for the 3km time trial which would have him finishing in the top 5 of the senior players. He started waaaayyy back as it was handicapped and managed to finish in about the top 10 over the line. Didn't look like he raised a sweat.
Well done to all the parents of these kids. They come once a week from all over. Some from as far as Coffs and Yamba.
As for Amon, he actually looked like he had grown taller.

BillyRayCypress
16th November 2012, 07:51 PM
So LK what group were you with to have the tour?

It is a huge commitment from many parents that travel very long distances.

satchmopugdog
16th November 2012, 11:00 PM
Yamba??????? is there a boy from Yamba named Sam Dick trying out??? If there is his father was an Australian hockey player originally from Burnie and may have seen the error of his ways..

Lucky Knickers
17th November 2012, 11:50 AM
Sadly Satch they didn't have name tags on. If I get a chance again I'll ask but maybe keep an eye out for academy news as the benchmarking will finish and they will announce the final names for the squad.

aardvark
17th November 2012, 02:25 PM
Yamba??????? is there a boy from Yamba named Sam Dick trying out???.

Imagine the delight on RWO if we recruited a Dick.

Jewels
17th November 2012, 02:57 PM
Imagine the delight on RWO if we recruited a Dick.

Could never happen, no possible way he could ever pass the no dick head policy? :rofl:

Big Al
17th November 2012, 08:02 PM
Could never happen, no possible way he could ever pass the no dick head policy? :rofl:

How does Teddy Richards keep getting games then? ;)

Sandridge
18th November 2012, 07:57 AM
I am so glad the Hobbit is back from his adventures up north. The look on his face after his "Big Game Goal" is etched into my eyeballs. Much fondness for the kid. (No he would have reached bloke status by now, wouldn't he?)

Yep, love him too! He was absolutely magnificent throughout 2005 and will go down in Swans history as the one who put us in front in the Grand Final. Great to see him back!

wolftone57
18th November 2012, 10:19 AM
Swans have U12 to U15 academy groups.

I think the U15's are trialling at the moment for selection in the U16 group. Apparently some culling of numbers occurs at this stage.

There is a U19 academy group. They provide the reserves top-up players. Perhaps they are commencing pre-season training.

The Academy has U11 to U19 groups and they do have an U16 group not an U15 group according to the Swans Website. There is also a Northern Group too.

aardvark
18th November 2012, 11:27 AM
The Academy has U11 to U19 groups and they do have an U16 group not an U15 group according to the Swans Website. There is also a Northern Group too.

According to this Swans website they have u11, u12, u13, u14, u15, u16 and u19. But who cares so long as they all become Swans premiership players in the future.:smile:

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/academy%20players/tabid/16968/default.aspx

Jewels
18th November 2012, 05:03 PM
How does Teddy Richards keep getting games then? ;)

Haha bazinga :clap:

giant
18th November 2012, 05:25 PM
Hopefully just a matter of time before that other prodigal son BBBH returns to the flock.

Primmy
19th November 2012, 08:33 AM
Haha bazinga :clap:ok little bazinga, but Jewels maybe he would just go away if we actually ignore him? Al I mean, not Ted.:wink:

Kirkari
20th November 2012, 11:31 AM
Hopefully just a matter of time before that other prodigal son BBBH returns to the flock.

He's a Bulldog for life, haven't you heard? Mind you, I did see him at the pub with our very own Leaping Leo a while ago, so apparently he hasn't cut all ties.

ugg
21st November 2012, 04:53 PM
Monty to the Hills Eagles as an player/assistant coach!

Home of the Sydney Hills Eagles (http://www.sydneyhillseagles.com.au/)

strapper
21st November 2012, 10:22 PM
He meets up with Eugene

Primmy
22nd November 2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks ugg. Nice to know.