PDA

View Full Version : Thunder shakers - There's something in that song

Swansongster
26th November 2012, 01:50 PM
As Swans fans, we love our victory song. Clearly, it is one of the better ones in the AFL. As you may or may not know, this song was borrowed holus bolus from Notre Dame University in Indiana, USA and adopted by the Swans with a few word changes.

Not sure how many people on here follow US college football but Notre Dame (The Fighting Irish) is currently rated #1 of all the college football teams in the States. In the US, they have myriad conferences, leagues and championships and a panel of journalists nominates each week a list of the top 25 teams and, at the end of the season, #1 and #2 play off in the national championship game.

A win over University of Southern California on the weekend secured ND a place in the BCS Championship game and completed their first perfect regular season since 1988. This game is perhaps the 2nd biggest single sporting date each year in the USA (after the Super Bowl). College footbal is huge in the US.

All season, they have been unsung, disrespected, underestimated and have won games from almost impossible positions, playing their best footy with their backs against the wall and when it really counted. Sound familiar? Kindred bloods?

There's gotta be something it that song that really inspires its keepers to shake down thunder and honour the name they represent. I have been following ND ever since seeing an old B&W movie about a famous coach of theirs ("Knute Rockne, All American") and one of their most famous football players in a 100-plus year history (George 'The Gipper' Gipp, a role played by Ronald Reagan). He was a star on the pitch before getting ill and dying suddenly.

The Notre Dame victory march is also a very famous song and featured a lot in the movie and I thought, "so that's where our song came from".

I recommend watching the movie if you ever come across it and the big game in a few weeks. I'll be rooting for the thunder shakers.

BCS Bowl Projections: Notre Dame Grabs Title Game Spot; Alabama Picked To Join Irish (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/25/bcs-bowl-projections-notre-alabama_n_2189046.html)

Knute Rockne, All American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knute_Rockne,_All_American)

royboy42
26th November 2012, 02:32 PM
Have a look at the Notre Dame marching band with the original version of "Cheer Cheer' and their words formed the basis of ours as well.
Somewhere I've seen the original correspondence between Swans and Notre Dame where we asked permission to use their song..and they graciously agreed.

The second verse is the one we adapted.

Rally sons of Notre Dame:
Sing her glory and sound her fame,
Raise her Gold and Blue
And cheer with voices true:
Rah, rah, for Notre Dame
We will fight in ev-ry game,
Strong of heart and true to her name
We will ne'er forget her
And will cheer her ever
Loyal to Notre Dame

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame,
Wake up the echoes cheering her name,
Send a volley cheer on high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky.
What though the odds be great or small
Old Notre Dame will win over all,
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to victory.

Notre Dame Fight Song by Notre Dame Marching Band Inside Notre Dame Stadium - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YlirQlXbbM&feature=related)

undy
26th November 2012, 02:49 PM
Did I read that right ?
A bunch of journalists decide who will be in the Grand Final ?

ernie koala
26th November 2012, 02:57 PM
Great stuff.
I'm an avid New Orleans Saints fan, in the NFL,and also root for LSU, as my Brother lives there and Sister in law is a born and bred local.
I'll now be following the 'Fighting Irish' as well......Great stuff

jono2707
26th November 2012, 02:57 PM
Even though I was an exchange student at Indiana University down the road a few hours, I've always had a soft spot for old Notre Dame. They have a fine football tradition and we should all root for them in the championship game.....

And yes the 'Grand Final' is decided by Committee - which creates hours of discussion and conjecture, but everyone pretty much accepts that the winner deserves to be crowned national champion.....

goswannies
26th November 2012, 03:07 PM
While you're watching films about Notre Dame, I would recommend "Rudy" with Sean Astin. Also features the Notre Dame march

Triple B
26th November 2012, 03:21 PM
Love them or hate them, it's hard to argue that Port Adelaide (SANFL version) haven't had a pretty good run as well over the years.

Mind you, 'Cheer cheer the black and the white' almost makes you want to puke...

Swansongster
26th November 2012, 03:30 PM
Did I read that right ?
A bunch of journalists decide who will be in the Grand Final ?

Yeah. It's an interesting concept but they have been doing it that way for a long time.

It's a faily large panel and there is process behind the way they select colleges.

All the same, you'd suspect our Melbourne centric media would have picked a Collingwood v. Hawthorn Grand Final this year if left to their prejudices.

Swansongster
26th November 2012, 03:34 PM
Love them or hate them, it's hard to argue that Port Adelaide (SANFL version) haven't had a pretty good run as well over the years.

Mind you, 'Cheer cheer the black and the white' almost makes you want to puke...

Didn't know it was their song as well (and B&W version would make we want to puke). That must piss off Port (AFL) fans.

Triple B
26th November 2012, 03:35 PM
All the same, you'd suspect our Melbourne centric media would have picked a Collingwood v. Hawthorn Grand Final this year if left to their prejudices.

We'd have been lucky to have made the eight in the last 20 years under that system...

royboy42
26th November 2012, 04:15 PM
Even though I was an exchange student at Indiana University down the road a few hours, I've always had a soft spot for old Notre Dame. They have a fine football tradition and we should all root for them in the championship game.....

And yes the 'Grand Final' is decided by Committee - which creates hours of discussion and conjecture, but everyone pretty much accepts that the winner deserves to be crowned national champion.....

It's a complicated system to establish the top college side in the US each year.

With 6 conferences in contention and . I think, 4 others included each year, it used to set up a hopelessly unwieldy final series involving 30 or 40 teams..just unmanageable.

They tried all sorts of ways to fix it , and the current one seems to be the most effective. Journos vote, plus computer projections..sounds as if it could never work but seems to have the two best sides compete in the BCS every year.

Hardly been an argument since 98 when they introduced this system.

And ND making up one of the finalists this year is a lay down misere!

dimelb
26th November 2012, 04:35 PM

I can't recall the date, but the words appeared on the Collingwood banner at the MCG a couple of seasons ago. I thought it was a bit cheeky and I was peeved.

goswannie14
26th November 2012, 04:45 PM

Mind you, 'Cheer cheer the black and the white' almost makes you want to puke...Why is it the balck and white teams have to have the word fight in them?

Triple B
26th November 2012, 04:58 PM
Why is it the balck and white teams have to have the word fight in them?

It's just tough guy talk to offset the 'cakewalk'...

neilfws
26th November 2012, 09:34 PM
Rewatched Flying High (or as the rest of the world calls it, Airplane) a few years ago. I'd forgotten that the Notre Dame Victory March plays over the end credits and was quite confused for a second to hear what's become "The Swans tune" in my mind.

Wardy
26th November 2012, 10:28 PM
Rewatched Flying High (or as the rest of the world calls it, Airplane) a few years ago. I'd forgotten that the Notre Dame Victory March plays over the end credits and was quite confused for a second to hear what's become "The Swans tune" in my mind. got it in one !!! My favourite film EVA!! And its my team club song!!

Triple B
26th November 2012, 10:39 PM
got it in one !!! My favourite film EVA!! And its my team club song!!

Surely, you're not serious...

Jewels
27th November 2012, 07:45 AM

Don't call me Shirley!

Big Al
27th November 2012, 08:48 AM

got it in one !!! My favourite film EVA!! And its my team club song!!

I just want to tell you both good luck we're all counting you

ScottH
27th November 2012, 08:53 AM
I picked the wrong day to stop smoking.

Swansongster
27th November 2012, 09:10 AM
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Triple B
27th November 2012, 09:17 AM
Do you like gladiator movies?

ScottH
27th November 2012, 09:19 AM
Are you Nervous?
Yes.
First Time?
No. I've been nervous before.

Big Al
27th November 2012, 09:33 AM
We have clearance Clarence
Roger, Roger what's your Vector Victor

We need you in the cockpit
The cockpit... What is it?
Well it's the little room in the front of the plane but that's not important right now.

Triple B
27th November 2012, 09:47 AM

ScottH
27th November 2012, 10:03 AM

:clap:

Doctor
27th November 2012, 12:37 PM
What do you make of this map?
Well I can make a hat, a brooch, a pterodactyl...

Matimbo
27th November 2012, 12:55 PM
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.
The red zone has always been for loading and unloading of passengers. There's never stopping in a white zone.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone s@#t again.

Cheer, cheer the red and the white zone.

royboy42
27th November 2012, 01:28 PM
Sigh........

Triple B
27th November 2012, 01:39 PM
Sigh........

Gangnam Style.

I like the 'one hit wonders game', but maybe best to start a new thread....

goswannie14
27th November 2012, 07:58 PM
"The Hospital....what is it?"
"It's a big building with doctors and nurses in it.....but that's not important right now."

Allymay
27th November 2012, 08:47 PM
East Fremantle in the WAFL also have the same theme song. Their colours are blue and white.
Doesn't quite have the same ring though..."cheer cheer the blue and the white".

Wardy
28th November 2012, 08:04 AM
Oh I love you all !! I'm about to have a cup of coffee - black like my men !!!
Honestly who needs sci fi and violent films when you have comedy gold like Flying High!!!

ScottH
28th November 2012, 08:34 AM
How many times have we been thru the High Flying movie quotes??

Big Al
28th November 2012, 08:43 AM
How many times have we been thru the High Flying movie quotes??

Scott never asks these questions at home...

ScottH
28th November 2012, 08:47 AM
Scott never asks these questions at home...

hehe.

Funny thing is they never get old.
I even just watched the trailer to the movie, although a lot of them are visual gags.

Jewels
28th November 2012, 09:36 AM
Oh I love you all !! I'm about to have a cup of coffee - black like my men !!!
Honestly who needs sci fi and violent films when you have comedy gold like Flying High!!!

When was the last time anyone saw a genuinely laugh out loud movie? I just googled the 100 funniest movies ever and (on this list anyway), Flying High was 48!!!!!!
Obviously this movie is as underrated as our football team!

Big Al
28th November 2012, 09:55 AM
hehe.

I even just watched the trailer to the movie, although a lot of them are visual gags.

Ah the sight gags.... One of the best gives TripleB the 2nd best avatar on RWO (Anna with some footy player being number 1 of course :) )

One of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNkpIDBtC2c&sns=em

Big Al
28th November 2012, 10:03 AM
When was the last time anyone saw a genuinely laugh out loud movie? I just googled the 100 funniest movies ever and (on this list anyway), Flying High was 48!!!!!!

While I don't agree with their number 1 I think this list is reasonably good even with the subjective nature of rating what's funny.

Top 25 Comedies of All-Time - IGN (http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/03/13/top-25-comedies-of-all-time?page=24)

dimelb
28th November 2012, 11:43 AM
hehe.

Arriving at Gate 13...Gate 14...

Triple B
28th November 2012, 01:04 PM
Air Israel, please clear the runway...

Wardy
28th November 2012, 01:26 PM
Im loving this !!! I had Ted Strikers drinking problem a few weeks ago away with friends and I found the last bottle if wine In the fridge at about 3am !!

Swansongster
28th November 2012, 02:25 PM
Top 25 Comedies of All-Time - IGN (http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/03/13/top-25-comedies-of-all-time?page=24)

Do they just provide a list of the top 25?

goswannie14
28th November 2012, 05:46 PM
47 on IMDB.

Wardy
28th November 2012, 08:46 PM
Air Israel, please clear the runway...

Fantastic!!!