PDA

View Full Version : The Swan who fell to Earth

liz
6th December 2012, 07:41 AM
Apologies if this was posted at the time it was first published (the article dates back to June this year) but I have only just seen it and don't recall any discussion on here at the time. Sumner's story gives an interesting insight into the challenges faced by youngsters drafted to the AFL when they may not be quite ready for it.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/swan-who-fell-to-earth/story-fn3o6wog-1226430109833

Would like to see him get another chance somewhere. He demonstrated some raw footy ability during his brief stay at the Swans, and it sound like his experiences have helped sharpen his focus on what he wants and what is involved in being an AFL player.

Cpt. Kirk
6th December 2012, 07:56 AM
If adelaide or port don't give him a shot(rookie selection) they have bad list management, I had the highest hopes for him, to me the biggest shame was he was too afraid to ask for help.

ScottH
6th December 2012, 07:59 AM
It is a huge step from weekend footy to being a professional.
Just shows it's not about the skill, but about the commitment, which I imagine is pretty hard for many youngsters.

6th December 2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks Liz, I haven't seen the article.

Ressie watchers would have seen a bit of Byron play, all I saw was a pre season internal game outside the SCG when I was visiting Sydney a few years back. Byron was very impressive with the way he sliced through traffic. I thought he was a certainty to make the grade from the little I saw but this article just shows the off field difficulties some players are faced with in their transition to AFL.

It would be nice to think that Byron can lift his game to a standard in the SANFL where he can get another chance at AFL.

Good to see the Swans spoken about with respect despie his fall from grace with us.

His 18yo, taller brother Tim got picked up at 55 in the ND by Gold Coast.

Jeffers1984
6th December 2012, 08:45 AM
Great Read.

dimelb
6th December 2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks Liz, I missed this one too.
I don't think there was ever any doubt about 'Uncle's' talent. Here's hoping he can add emotional maturity to his kit, having been through such a testing time, and find his own mind about life. Good luck to him.

Matimbo
6th December 2012, 09:33 AM
Nice story. I really hope he gets his redemption. Hope Port or Crows pick him up so he can play AFL but stay close to family.

satchmopugdog
6th December 2012, 10:48 AM
That is down right sad...well written

Swansongster
6th December 2012, 11:15 AM
Great article. Thanks Liz.

This line intrigued me.

"I didn't like some of the players and I didn't like the players I lived with."

Who was he talking about? Probably just a typical 18 yo not liking some of the facts of life being pointed out to them by those who are older and wiser.

Ruck'n'Roll
6th December 2012, 12:19 PM
This line intrigued me.
Who was he talking about? Probably just a typical 18 yo not liking some of the facts of life being pointed out to them by those who are older and wiser.

Two weeks ago there was an article about Byron and his younger brother whose just been drafted by the gold coast. In this article Byron admited not missing some sessions while at the Swans. And advises his brother not to follow his example.

The strange thing is:
When I looked for the article in order to post a link here (see below), I found what looked almost exactly like that article, yet the self-incrimiating paragraph was not longer there. http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tim-sumners-time-to-shine-with-the-gold-coast-suns/story-fnelctok-1226523424265
I don't think I'm imagining it, does anyone else recall that comment?

ugg
6th December 2012, 01:43 PM
Great article. Thanks Liz.

This line intrigued me.

In 2010, he lived with Campbell Heath, Lewis Jetta and Shane Mumford. Not sure about 2011, but I recall that Mumford had relocated to live with Josh Kennedy.

Swansongster
6th December 2012, 01:59 PM
In 2010, he lived with Campbell Heath, Lewis Jetta and Shane Mumford. Not sure about 2011, but I recall that Mumford had relocated to live with Josh Kennedy.

Mummy probably kept eating all of the sausages.

Primmy
6th December 2012, 02:32 PM
Fanbloodytastic! Thanks liz.

I always found him an engaging kid, and was a bit stunned when he went back to Adelaide mid season. It takes a bit for the Swans to ditch a player, especially one that I had rated as a ressiewatcher. Much easier to see why when you know why.

Good luck to him, and may the club that picks him up (if they are intelligent enough) give him wings.

ShockOfHair
6th December 2012, 07:27 PM
Mummy probably kept eating all of the sausages.

Thank goodness Mummy and Lamb don't share a house. #jokeapocalypse

Thoughtful piece on Byron. Surprised to see it in the Advertiser, but looks like it was written by feature writer or maybe freelancing Eagles fan and not the usual suspects on the footy desk.

Xie Shan
6th December 2012, 10:14 PM
It's hard, when you're brought into a group of players and you don't really "fit"... it's a bit like starting a new job, you have to put the effort into building relationships as you go along. Not every player will end up fitting in, it's sad to see a player who has the talent not make it, but the life of a professional footballer most definitely isn't for everyone. The sacrifices, the training, the pressure and competition for spots, sometimes if you don't have a strong sense of self (as Sumner lacked self-confidence), it can all get the better of you... I'm glad he's doing better now. He might even get a chance at another AFL club one day, after all the road to success never goes in a straight line.

Rod_
7th December 2012, 07:27 AM
Nice read and good luck to him

Thanks Liz for the post

10th December 2012, 10:28 AM
A report in the Adelaide Advertiser this morning that the Crows are looking at a number of players nation wide to fill their one remaining rookie spot and that they have been impressed with Byron's SANFL form.

Be nice to see him get another chance, particularly in his home city.

ShockOfHair
10th December 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm sure the footy gods like the idea of Byron at the Crows. He is a bit McLeodish, plus..... other stuff.

Primmy
10th December 2012, 03:17 PM
Also he is an ex Swan and I am sure Crows would love to stick one up us if they thought they could do better with Uncle than we could. Go for it I say and may you succeed.

Swannie1172
10th December 2012, 07:58 PM
Good story ... the game has changed to a point where mental strength and physical & running capacity are now just as (if not more) important as skill.