PDA

View Full Version : Pickups by club

barry
15th January 2013, 10:44 PM
Just watching the DVD box set, and thought I'd make a thread as a word of thanks to the other clubs in the comp for allowing us a great last 17 years.

Adelaide: Thanks for Matner and Tippett.

Brisbane: A cameo from bradshaw, but C. Bolton was a gift. Also special thanks for taking Capper and Buchanan off our hands once they'd past their best.

Carlton: Cant think of any off hand, but did nick greg williams and David Rhys-jones a while ago, so they are definately not pulling their weight when it comes to assisting us.

Collingwood: Nick Davis, he did save us. Rhys Shaw came good. Williams was a nice one too. We did lose a few to them though... Rocca, Jolly, etc.

Essendon: All Australian Teddy Richards.

Fremantle: Another poor effort from them. Need to lift.

Geelong: The big mummy. But that did also give us Torcher Chambers and Spriggs.

Hawthorn: After offloading Dermie to us many years ago, they have been more generous in recent times with kennedy and McGlynn.

Melbourne: Gave us Jolly for a few years, and they have helped out our co-city team with Scully.

North Melbourne: Shwatter was handy and is always on our side in the commentary box, but cant think of any recent ones.

Port Adelaide: Stewie Dew in the coaches box is doing ok. Special thanks for taking Salopek instead of McVeigh in the 2004 (?) draft.

Richmond: Oh tigers, Mitch Morton for nothing was a timely gift this year. Did take a year to get the tiger-ness out of him though. But probably the best addition was Stewie maxfield, who started all the bloods culture weve thrived on.

St Kilda: Tony Lockett and Barry Hall was kindness above the call of duty. OBrien was handy too.

West Coast: Jason Ball, we built a game plan around him. No complains there.

Western Bulldogs: No one comes to mind.

Thanks for GWS and GC for not poaching anyone at all from us. Quite unusual really.

And Fitzroy for Roosey

Jeffers1984
15th January 2013, 11:02 PM
good thread however Port had the pick after us at 6 where we had 5 and took Macca.

You can thank the western bulldogs for taking Tim Walsh (who?) at 4 instead of taking him.

Also West Coast were pretty much dead set keen on taking Jetta at 7 but made a last minute type switch to take Brad Sheppard.

16th January 2013, 12:04 AM
Also West Coast were pretty much dead set keen on taking Jetta at 7 but made a last minute type switch to take Brad Sheppard.

How do you reckon they view that decision now? A great example of a player sliding way past their "correct" draft position. Jetta should have gone at 7 but slipped all the way to us at 14.

The latest draft had a couple of classic sliders, Grundy 5-8 all the way down to 18, Membrey around 20 all the way to 46.

liz
16th January 2013, 12:28 AM
Arguably Richmond's biggest contribution (after Stuey, who walked out on them, so probably doesn't count) was giving up a first round pick for Stafford, which we ontraded to the Saints for Hall. We did have to take Daffy and his contract off their hands too, but that wasn't too painful given what Hall contributed.

ShockOfHair
16th January 2013, 02:15 AM
Premiership thanks should also go to the 15 clubs who spurned ROK and Jude.

And Canada.

linko
16th January 2013, 06:34 AM
North for horse? Thanks to every club who passed on hanners and aj as well

Primmy
16th January 2013, 07:38 AM
Actually along with the lovely Schwatta and Horse, we need to acknowledge them for Blakey and also Alison (fantastic runner and development coach). And we have given them nutthin.

Saints got Schneider and Dempsey for Plugger, O'Brien and Hall, so they didn't lose out all that much.

And we did get lumbered with that bloke Scott from Collingwood (can NEVER remember his name) who didn't want to come and stiffed us big time. But bless Williams, and Schauble too. More than made up for it.

Go Swannies
16th January 2013, 08:10 AM
I saw the title and thought this thread was about Big Al's social life!

On topic, does any other team have every player referred to by the commentators as their antecedents? Is Jolly always "the ex-Swan" as Mummy is the ex-Cat? Do we want Ross Lyons to be the "ex-assistant coach at the Swans"? (And phew, didn't we get the better of the Lyons/Horse deal there?)

Chilcott
16th January 2013, 09:21 AM
Actually along with the lovely Schwatta and Horse, we need to acknowledge them for Blakey and also Alison (fantastic runner and development coach). And we have given them nutthin.

Saints got Schneider and Dempsey for Plugger, O'Brien and Hall, so they didn't lose out all that much.

And we did get lumbered with that bloke Scott from Collingwood (can NEVER remember his name) who didn't want to come and stiffed us big time. But bless Williams, and Schauble too. More than made up for it.

Scott Russell.

Dosser
16th January 2013, 10:17 AM

How quickly we forget Shannon Grant!

Rod_
16th January 2013, 11:26 AM
Nick Daffy from Richmond was so close to being a coop ~ LOL

barry
16th January 2013, 11:59 AM
good thread however Port had the pick after us at 6 where we had 5 and took Macca.

yeah, thats right. I remeber this because a port fan I knew at the time was gloating about how we let salopek through to them, and he'd be 100 times better than McVeigh.

Primmy
16th January 2013, 01:31 PM
How quickly we forget Shannon Grant!Ah. Yes. Well. Didn't we do a great deal and did mightily in return? Wasn't it Schwatta?

dimelb
16th January 2013, 02:07 PM
Great thread - best gloat I've seen for ages!

jono2707
16th January 2013, 02:27 PM
yeah, thats right. I remeber this because a port fan I knew at the time was gloating about how we let salopek through to them, and he'd be 100 times better than McVeigh.

He may well have been better had we picked him and Port gotten Macca

wolftone57
16th January 2013, 08:04 PM
Essendon gave us Derrick Kickett he was 'sort of OK'! They also gave up Neville Fields, Merv Neagle and Peter filandia.

Collingwood gave us Robby Ahmatt & Scott russell

Carlton gave us Vin Catoggio, unfortunately they got Bernie Evans as well as rhyce-jones, Mitchell and Diesel.

Not only did Fitzroy give us Roos but also Peter Caven, Darren Kappler & David Strooper

The Saints also gave us Roy Cazaly

Do you realise that Adam Goodes is not the first Goodes to play for the Swans. Reg Goodes played one game in 1950.

Richmond gave us Francis Jackson and they got John Pitura somewhere along the line. Wrechmond also gave us 'The Whale' and Graeme Teasdale

Melbourne gave us a young bloke who had injury problems called George Lakes who could have been a star today with LARS surgery. His real name was Theodoralakis and he was from Broken hill. But we did get a great coach who came from there in Barrassi.

We did give South Australia probably their greatest coach, the great Jack Oatey

Geelong also gave us Henry Playfair and Diesel

A Peter Tippett played 29 games between 1945-47

West coast gave us Scott Watters for a couple of seasons

Norf gave us Shane Zantuck

R-1
17th January 2013, 08:46 AM
Bulldogs graciously didn't have Sammy's dad play enough games to qualify for father/son.

Primmy
17th January 2013, 10:17 AM
Ah yes, Derek Kickett. Just for the x factor he should be acknowledged! Everyone in the crowd seemed to lift when he came on the ground, however briefly. And he did tend to do those impossible non aimed kicks that just went through the posts. Love him.

Wazza
17th January 2013, 06:03 PM
Geelong also gave us Henry Playfair and Diesel

Toohey come ffrom geelong? he was a good HB

waz

Wazza
17th January 2013, 06:04 PM
What about John Ironmonger I cant remember where we got him from - was it WC?

Cheers

waz

southsideswan
18th January 2013, 03:32 PM
ok I know bugger all about afl .. no excuse just a fact.. what I have seen over the years that the structure at the swans allows for most players (the ones the staff would pick) do better here then where they were. Lets hope KT follows the tradition.

wolftone57
18th January 2013, 03:40 PM
What about John Ironmonger I cant remember where we got him from - was it WC?

Cheers

waz

Was from east Perth and won the Sandover Medal in 1983. Was drafted by the Swans in 1985 ans played 45 games for us before playing 43 for Fitzroy. A total of 88 injury interrupted games.

Chilcott
18th January 2013, 04:58 PM
Was from east Perth and won the Sandover Medal in 1983. Was drafted by the Swans in 1985 ans played 45 games for us before playing 43 for Fitzroy. A total of 88 injury interrupted games.

From memory big J Ironmonger was winning the brownlow (or very close to) in his first season, until injury occurred. I think it was about round 8 - 9 from memory.

sfan
18th January 2013, 05:46 PM
Everett from the Bulldogs - might work out as a key defender.

snajik
18th January 2013, 09:25 PM
Schauble from Collingwood. Won a B & F from memory.

Primmy
19th January 2013, 09:34 AM
Everett from the Bulldogs - might work out as a key defender.AAAaahhhhh Mia Culpa all of us. Drey of course! the bloke who has actually won a few games at the last roll of the dice for us. How could he be left out of the "thank you" club, after all we donated Patty Vespremi to their ranks and I am sure they are loving that!

By the look of Drey in the preseason he looks to be determined he is going to be a fixture in seniors. I mean, have you seen any vision of him recently! right up there. Lots of hard work has gone into the body sculpture.

Actually a lot of hard work has gone into a lot of body sculpturing this season. Must be intimidating for the kiddies.

Jewels
19th January 2013, 09:37 AM
AAAaahhhhh Mia Culpa all of us. Drey of course! the bloke who has actually won a few games a the last roll of the dice for us. And by the look of him in the preseason has determined he is going to be a fixture in seniors. I mean, have you had a look at him recently! right up there. Lots of hard work has gone into the body sculpture.

Actually a lot of hard work has gone into a lot of body sculpturing this season. Must be intimidating for the kiddies.

Gee I hope so, there is just something about that kid that I really like.

Primmy
19th January 2013, 09:42 AM
Its the slow smile isn't it J.

Nico
19th January 2013, 07:39 PM
AAAaahhhhh Mia Culpa all of us. Drey of course! the bloke who has actually won a few games at the last roll of the dice for us. How could he be left out of the "thank you" club, after all we donated Patty Vespremi to their ranks and I am sure they are loving that!

By the look of Drey in the preseason he looks to be determined he is going to be a fixture in seniors. I mean, have you seen any vision of him recently! right up there. Lots of hard work has gone into the body sculpture.

Unfortunately he lacks that "something" that makes a player a permanent fixture in a senior side. Mind you The Dogs would probably like him right now. They have nothing up front.

Velour&Ruffles
19th January 2013, 09:27 PM
Toohey come ffrom geelong? he was a good HB

waz

Don't forget David Bolton too - a bloody good wingman in his time. The original B1.

Velour&Ruffles
19th January 2013, 09:37 PM
How quickly we forget Shannon Grant!

And deservedly so. A very overrated player in my opinion. Won a Norm Smith in GF number three, but was beyond pathetic in his first and second GFs (for the Swans and Roos respectively). It is because of players like him that I rate LRT so highly - LRT may not have the same silky skills but damn it he produces consistently when the heat is really on. Shagger Grant was basically the opposite - a flat track bully who choked in the heat of battle.

Nico
19th January 2013, 09:46 PM
Don't forget David Bolton too - a bloody good wingman in his time. The original B1.

Bolton was pacy but an ordinary kick and turned it over something shocking.

Velour&Ruffles
19th January 2013, 09:49 PM
Bolton was pacy but an ordinary kick and turned it over something shocking.

A bit harsh. Fearless, tough as hell, great tackle and a magnificent gouger when given the chance.

goswannies
20th January 2013, 07:13 AM
Essendon gave us Derrick Kickett he was 'sort of OK'! They also gave up Neville Fields, Merv Neagle and Peter filandia.

Took some Danihers & Ben Doolan though

Collingwood gave us Robby Ahmatt & Scott russell

Len Thompson, Robert Dean, Bill Picken, Michael Lockman & returned Paul Hawke ... doesn't offset taking Teasdale, Greg Smith, Jolly, Licuria, Rocca, Barry Mitchell & even re-drafted Gerard Healy once he retired from injury even though he declared he wouldn't play.

Carlton gave us Vin Catoggio, unfortunately they got Bernie Evans as well as rhyce-jones, Mitchell and Diesel.
Collingwood took Mitchell, then he went to Carlton ... but they did give us Minten-Connell

The Saints also gave us Roy Cazaley

Jason Daniels ... but they took Paul Morwood & Silvio Foschini

Not only did Fitzroy give us Roos but also Peter Caven, Darren Kappler & David Strooper
Don't forget Richard Osborne!

Richmond gave us Francis Jackson and they got John Pitura somewhere along the line. Wrechmond also gave us 'The Whale' and Graeme Teasdale

Tim Barling & ALMOST Maurice Rioli ... even had a pic of him I'm the Sun in a Swans jumper!

Melbourne gave us a great coach who came from there in Barrassi.

They gave us the duddest of the Cordiner family David Cordner - to replace Capper as our glam full forward, Kevin Dyson, the more handy of the Healy brothers & another coach called Norm Smith

Norf gave us Shane Zantuck

Gary Cowton

goswannies
20th January 2013, 07:20 AM
Bulldogs graciously didn't have Sammy's dad play enough games to qualify for father/son.
Plus we got Sammy's uncle from them & Simon Beasley was a useful administrator for a couple of years :)

Primmy
20th January 2013, 11:12 AM
You should get out more GS.

But there are quite a number of "oh forgot them" in your mix. Especially Barrell and Ozzie.

Nico
20th January 2013, 09:46 PM
The absolute worst pickup we ever got was Adrian Battiston from Melbourne. An average player at best he was touted as as going to be a star for us. Apart from the fact he was way past his best he turned out to be a dud of the first order. Then there was Shannon Corcoran from Brisbane/Footscray recruited by Eade. Wow, now was that a great pickup or what!!!!!????? Great recruiter was Rodney.

Velour&Ruffles
21st January 2013, 09:12 AM
The absolute worst pickup we ever got was Adrian Battiston from Melbourne. An average player at best he was touted as as going to be a star for us. Apart from the fact he was way past his best he turned out to be a dud of the first order. Then there was Shannon Corcoran from Brisbane/Footscray recruited by Eade. Wow, now was that a great pickup or what!!!!!????? Great recruiter was Rodney.

Dermott Brereton from the Dawks. What a fizzer he was in red and white.
Dishonourable mentions to Warren McKenzie from Carlton and Stewart Wigney from the Dogs.

Nico
21st January 2013, 04:39 PM
Dermott Brereton from the Dawks. What a fizzer he was in red and white.
Dishonourable mentions to Warren McKenzie from Carlton and Stewart Wigney from the Dogs.

I guess we should give due respect to some of these players as our recruiting back then was purely band aid style and we were masters at recruiting players way past their due date. Mckenzie and Wigney at stages of their careers were pretty serviceable for their clubs.

Dosser
21st January 2013, 04:43 PM
We also didnt have the budget to recruit big names back then and a club that was bordering on collapse certainly wasnt the best lure for a good player who could make a career somewhere stable. We will probably never know the names of all the players who were approached but turned us down. I think our recruiters probably did the best with what they had, but they DID make some howlers, too.

wolftone57
22nd January 2013, 12:59 AM
Gee I hope so, there is just something about that kid that I really like.

He is one of the longest kicks i the AFL. Can kick 80 metres. I like him but he anly fit into a few c=games last season. He wasn't consistent but he always tries hard and gives his best even if things aren't going right. He didn't do that when he first arrived.

wolftone57
22nd January 2013, 01:09 AM
Took some Danihers & Ben Doolan though

Len Thompson, Robert Dean, Bill Picken, Michael Lockman & returned Paul Hawke ... doesn't offset taking Teasdale, Greg Smith, Jolly, Licuria, Rocca, Barry Mitchell & even re-drafted Gerard Healy once he retired from injury even though he declared he wouldn't play.

Collingwood took Mitchell, then he went to Carlton ... but they did give us Minten-Connell

Jason Daniels ... but they took Paul Morwood & Silvio Foschini

Don't forget Richard Osborne!

Tim Barling & ALMOST Maurice Rioli ... even had a pic of him I'm the Sun in a Swans jumper!

They gave us the duddest of the Cordiner family David Cordner - to replace Capper as our glam full forward, Kevin Dyson, the more handy of the Healy brothers & another coach called Norm Smith

Gary Cowton

Rocca was never going to play well for us, he hated being here and only wanted to play for Pies. I don't know why we ever drafted him as he made it known he didn't want to come. He certainly tried really hard up here, NOT, 22 games for 11 goals from a key forward.

Triple B
22nd January 2013, 08:19 AM
Rocca was never going to play well for us, he hated being here and only wanted to play for Pies. I don't know why we ever drafted him as he made it known he didn't want to come. He certainly tried really hard up here, NOT, 22 games for 11 goals from a key forward.

Get some perspective, he was just a kid playing the toughest position on the ground whose main job was to stay out of Pluggers way. Can't argue he didnt particularly want to be here, but to say he wasn't trying is ludicrous...

23rd January 2013, 12:19 AM
Get some perspective, he was just a kid playing the toughest position on the ground whose main job was to stay out of Pluggers way. Can't argue he didnt particularly want to be here, but to say he wasn't trying is ludicrous...

Agree! If he'd have been drafted to today's team with today's culture it might've been a different story.

A combination of Lockett / Rocca playing 5-6 seasons together would have had me drooling like the potential of Lockett / Hall (I wish Plugger didn't pull the pin quite so early) ... or the proven combination of Pratt & Nash.

I can only hope that the Tippett / Reid combo (with the foils of Mummy/Pyke & Goodsey ... and the crumbing of Jetta, Gopher etc) can produce the fire power that the potential of such a forward line promises!

23rd January 2013, 09:22 AM
Hey 01183305, isn't it time for a name change???

23rd January 2013, 09:27 AM
Ah yes, the gifting of the Danihers, the gift that continues to give - TO ESSENDON!

Nico
23rd January 2013, 07:05 PM
Didn't Osbourne kick 10 goals the day we broke our losing streak of 23 games. Pretty handy pick up I would have thought.

Nico
23rd January 2013, 07:06 PM
Wayne Walsh was a good pickup in the 70's.

ernie koala
23rd January 2013, 11:54 PM

Lest we forget......Bomford and O'Connor......just add them to the long list of masterstrokes by Eade.

goswannies
24th January 2013, 02:36 PM
Wayne Walsh was a good pickup in the 70's.

So was Barry Round ... like Teasdale (Tigers), Williams (Geelong), & Healy (Melb) players we picked up who went on to win Brownlows

24th January 2013, 02:39 PM
Lest we forget......Bomford and O'Connor......just add them to the long list of masterstrokes by Eade.

He did take us to our first Grand Final in 51 years which set set the groundwork for Roosey's reign

goswannie14
24th January 2013, 02:42 PM
He did take us to our first Grand Final in 51 years which set set the groundwork for Roosey's reignYes I just read that fact in MickeyO's book.

chalbilto
24th January 2013, 09:35 PM
I have a soft spot for Rocket. The club came through woeful years in early nineties to grand final in 96. One of the happiest moments for me was when Plugger kicked that point in the prelim final against Essendon. The following years have made us the most successful team (since 96) in relation to finals appearances and Rocket has to be acknowledged fro laying the foundation for this. Sure he departure wasn't the best, but look what followed Roos, 05 Premiers, 06 grand final, succession plan with Horse and premiers last year. All coaches have dud picks also gems.

ernie koala
25th January 2013, 08:26 AM
I have a soft spot for Rocket. The club came through woeful years in early nineties to grand final in 96. One of the happiest moments for me was when Plugger kicked that point in the prelim final against Essendon. The following years have made us the most successful team (since 96) in relation to finals appearances and Rocket has to be acknowledged fro laying the foundation for this. Sure he departure wasn't the best, but look what followed Roos, 05 Premiers, 06 grand final, succession plan with Horse and premiers last year. All coaches have dud picks also gems.

Much of the ground work was already laid before Eade arrived......Bringing in Barassi to give the club some spine... recruiting Plugger, Roos, Maxfield and others, and a swath of early draft picks, not to mention a brownlow medalist in his prime. Our team was on the rise when Eade arrived.
Sure he brought in the flood (something he learnt from Pagans paddock), which worked beautifully with Plugger left one out. But when Plugger left it was all downhill to the extent the players weren't listening to him or his outdated gameplan.His time at the bulldogs ended in similar fashion....Needless to say I'm not an Eade fan.....As for his role at the wobbles......not sure what's going on there.