PDA

View Full Version : Worst Umpiring Decision in the History of Football

Velour&Ruffles
19th January 2013, 08:00 PM
Inspired by the thread Ok. Have held off long enough , I have held off long enough on something else and also have to get it off my chest.

Watching the season highlights DVD, I'm now convinced that there has never, ever, in the history of our great game, been a worse umpiring decision than that in Round 4 versus the Kangaroos. Even now, I boil with rage when I see Gary Rohan - with eyes for nothing but the ball - have his leg broken by a sliding Lindsay Thomas and then, in a season when the AFL actively trumpeted that it was going to crack down on sliding because of the safety risk to players' legs, having a free kick actually paid AGAINST him! WTF? Even seeing it on mutliple replays and in slo-mo, I cannot even begin to imagine what was going through the umpire's tiny brain. Perhaps Neil Sachse should have been penalised too (apologies to those too yound to know what I am referring to here).

So congratualtions Umpire Effwitte, you have a place in football immortality. Amongst hundreds of thousands - perhaps millions - of decisions over more than a century, you have the exclusive privilege of making the most mind-bogglingly incompetent decision that has ever been made. Including the 2012 Grand Final, and God knows there were plenty of crap decisions in that.

albrotha
19th January 2013, 10:17 PM
Game versus Hawthorn at SCG when ROK had what looked like being a HTB decision which was called as a free against.
Then shortly after the obvious 50m penalty that the umpire decided to not award when the ball was kicked away before the free could be taken

Cpt. Kirk
19th January 2013, 10:37 PM
I reckon the worst was the one in the grand final when hodge tackled jack on the wing in the last quarter, it ended up being a ball up but it went to a slow motion of the tackle and tom harley says as it finishes "nope, no free there" and hodge is pressing his elbow into jacks face.

Triple B
19th January 2013, 11:13 PM
Hard to beat the Leo Barry/Stenglein free in the 2005 QF as one of the worst ever.

A free to Solomon against Craig Bolton v Essendon MCG 2004 lives in my memory as the worst.

aardvark
20th January 2013, 06:52 AM
Inspired by the thread Ok. Have held off long enough , I have held off long enough on something else and also have to get it off my chest.

Watching the season highlights DVD, I'm now convinced that there has never, ever, in the history of our great game, been a worse umpiring decision than that in Round 4 versus the Kangaroos. Even now, I boil with rage when I see Gary Rohan - with eyes for nothing but the ball - have his leg broken by a sliding Lindsay Thomas and then, in a season when the AFL actively trumpeted that it was going to crack down on sliding because of the safety risk to players' legs, having a free kick actually paid AGAINST him! WTF? Even seeing it on mutliple replays and in slo-mo, I cannot even begin to imagine what was going through the umpire's tiny brain. Perhaps Neil Sachse should have been penalised too (apologies to those too yound to know what I am referring to here).

So congratualtions Umpire Effwitte, you have a place in football immortality. Amongst hundreds of thousands - perhaps millions - of decisions over more than a century, you have the exclusive privilege of making the most mind-bogglingly incompetent decision that has ever been made. Including the 2012 Grand Final, and God knows there were plenty of crap decisions in that.

RWO rant of the year.....love it! :smile:

Big Al
20th January 2013, 07:39 AM
I reckon the worst was the one in the grand final when hodge tackled jack on the wing in the last quarter, it ended up being a ball up but it went to a slow motion of the tackle and tom harley says as it finishes "nope, no free there" and hodge is pressing his elbow into jacks face.

That wasn't even the worst decision of the GF. That belongs to LRT not getting pinged for holding the ball in the 2nd qtr.

Can't go past the Leo Barry decision as the worst of all time though.

YvonneH
20th January 2013, 08:44 AM
I remember a game at the SCG vs Essendon (don't remember the year) when Adam McPhee was certainly out of bounds running down the wing and was not called out. I think it was Mark McVeigh who kicked the goal and we lost by a small margin. Anyone else remember that one who could be more accurate?

Sandridge
20th January 2013, 10:22 AM
Hard to beat the Leo Barry/Stenglein free in the 2005 QF as one of the worst ever.

Absolutely, positively, definitely the worst decision of all time! Cost us the game and would have cost a lesser team the Premiership!

Sandridge
20th January 2013, 10:26 AM
I remember a game at the SCG vs Essendon (don't remember the year) when Adam McPhee was certainly out of bounds running down the wing and was not called out. I think it was Mark McVeigh who kicked the goal and we lost by a small margin. Anyone else remember that one who could be more accurate?

Yes, I remember it. The Essendon player who ran along the boundary line was so far out of bounds I think he kicked it from the car park! An Essendon supporter workmate of mine had the audacity to complain that the Swans supporters booed an after match presentation to the Bombers!

Triple B
20th January 2013, 01:35 PM

There is a certain Melb based member here who my wife and I hosted for that weekend along with his Essendon supporter/member wife.

I'm pretty sure she remembers that game. I'm sure she does because it was the last game they attended together....lol

And Yvonne, you are right on all counts, McPhee out of bounds, McVeigh goal and one point margin, they don't come much smaller.

EDIT: I knew I had this pic somewhere. By the time he kicked it with his left foot, he was close to kicking the fence.

goswannie14
20th January 2013, 01:59 PM
I reckon the worst was the one in the grand final when hodge tackled jack on the wing in the last quarter, it ended up being a ball up but it went to a slow motion of the tackle and tom harley says as it finishes "nope, no free there" and hodge is pressing his elbow into jacks face.In fairness to Tom Harley he was actually saying there was no free there for Hawthorn which is what Hodge was appealing for.

Industrial Fan
20th January 2013, 05:29 PM
A free to Solomon against Craig Bolton v Essendon MCG 2004 lives in my memory as the worst.I concur with that one, and still refer to it frequently. What a howler.

On the other hand, I should probably move on at some point...

Cardinal
20th January 2013, 10:24 PM
Are you people trying to make me angry?

I remember McPhee being in front of the Member's Stand but can't remember the year.

Doctor J.
21st January 2013, 12:32 PM
There is a certain Melb based member here who my wife and I hosted for that weekend along with his Essendon supporter/member wife.

I'm pretty sure she remembers that game. I'm sure she does because it was the last game they attended together....lol

And Yvonne, you are right on all counts, McPhee out of bounds, McVeigh goal and one point margin, they don't come much smaller.

EDIT: I knew I had this pic somewhere. By the time he kicked it with his left foot, he was close to kicking the fence.

Fence be buggered!!!! He stood on my toes and I was up in the Noble that night. Along with my Essendon supporting member wife. How that yellow germ in the background couldn't see that McPhee was out of bounds is one of lifes great mysteries.

Not the worst decision of all time. That honour belongs to the Leo Barry/Stenglein as noted by your good self.

Frog
21st January 2013, 01:09 PM
Surely, the worst umpiring decision of all, has to be Ray Chamberlain deciding to give up a job as a Phys Ed teacher to become an AFL umpire ... How much worse could it get?

Big Al
21st January 2013, 01:43 PM
Surely, the worst umpiring decision of all, has to be Ray Chamberlain deciding to give up a job as a Phys Ed teacher to become an AFL umpire ... How much worse could it get?

RWO should definitely have a like feature.

ScottH
21st January 2013, 02:01 PM
Leo Barry, dying minutes of 2005 QF.

Triple B
21st January 2013, 02:04 PM

Thx Scoop...

ScottH
21st January 2013, 02:20 PM
Thx Scoop...

13 posts too late. :(

graemed
21st January 2013, 03:21 PM
In fairness to Tom Harley he was actually saying there was no free there for Hawthorn which is what Hodge was appealing for.

This decision was one of a series that set my teeth on edge eevn now. The Bird "non-mark" courtesy of a clumsy, illegal spoil by Hodge and then the free TO HODGE for a much lesser offence was adding insult to injury.

Hartijon
21st January 2013, 04:07 PM
Surely the three 50 metre penalties in a row against Bad Barry rate right up there .The Hawthorn players were sticking their heads underneath his arms and totally sucking the umpires in.Pathetic umpiring although the Barry /Stenglein mistake was monumental and cost us!

Triple B
21st January 2013, 04:07 PM

Can't go past the Leo Barry decision as the worst of all time though.

Absolutely, positively, definitely the worst decision of all time! Cost us the game and would have cost a lesser team the Premiership!

Not the worst decision of all time. That honour belongs to the Leo Barry/Stenglein.

Pathetic umpiring although the Barry /Stenglein mistake was monumental and cost us!

So, join in the chorus
And sing it one and all,
Join in the chorus,
The worst free kick of all.

Good old McInerney,
A maggot you'll agree,
Not sure he's worse than Chamberlain,
we'll have to wait and see....

Nico
21st January 2013, 04:46 PM
Surely the three 50 metre penalties in a row against Bad Barry rate right up there .The Hawthorn players were sticking their heads underneath his arms and totally sucking the umpires in.Pathetic umpiring although the Barry /Stenglein mistake was monumental and cost us!

Disagree on this one. I saw it as Hall getting sucked in, in a pathetic effort of self serving insolence when we had all the momentum. Watching replays of games in 2012 I have noticed the incredible discipline of players in all aspects of the game. For example when opposition players were over the ball our players clearly avoided making head high or even any contact if they were a fraction second to the ball, to prevent giving away a free. Pity BBH didn't have the same disciplines.

Big Al
21st January 2013, 04:47 PM
So, join in the chorus
And sing it one and all,
Join in the chorus,

Good old McInerney,
A maggot you'll agree,

Love it. (clap)

Doctor J.
21st January 2013, 05:45 PM
So, join in the chorus
And sing it one and all,
Join in the chorus,

Good old McInerney,
A maggot you'll agree,

Someone has toooooo much time on their hands!!!

Jewels
21st January 2013, 06:45 PM

That wins it for mine. There should have been an investigation into umps betting on games after such a dreadful decision at such an important time in the match.

Disagree on this one. I saw it as Hall getting sucked in, in a pathetic effort of self serving insolence when we had all the momentum. Watching replays of games in 2012 I have noticed the incredible discipline of players in all aspects of the game. For example when opposition players were over the ball our players clearly avoided making head high or even any contact if they were a fraction second to the ball, to prevent giving away a free. Pity BBH didn't have the same disciplines.

Yep.

Velour&Ruffles
21st January 2013, 06:57 PM

I'm with Hartijon on this one. That three-peat against BBBBH was crap umpiring - a prime example of umpiring based on reputation rather than what was actually happening before their eyes. Like booking a driver because a pedestrian chose to throw themselves under the wheels.

Big Al
21st January 2013, 07:52 PM
I'm with Hartijon on this one. That three-peat against BBBBH was crap umpiring - a prime example of umpiring based on reputation rather than what was actually happening before their eyes. Like booking a driver because a pedestrian chose to throw themselves under the wheels.

In my view Nico is 100% correct. Barry might have been treated harshly by the Umps over his career but on this occasion he made it extremely easy for them.

Vonsteinman
21st January 2013, 08:45 PM
In my view Nico is 100% correct. Barry might have been treated harshly by the Umps over his career but on this occasion he made it
extremely easy for them.

It's not the worst umpiring decision of all time, but Hall should have initially got a free kick. Then the second 50 really wasn't there and, knowing Hall as intimately as they did, I really think his teammates should have stepped in earlier and protected him a bit when Sam Mitchell came in and provoked the third (which was definitely there).

crackedactor
21st January 2013, 10:59 PM
It's not the worst umpiring decision of all time, but Hall should have initially got a free kick. Then the second 50 really wasn't there and, knowing Hall as intimately as they did, I really think his teammates should have stepped in earlier and protected him a bit when Sam Mitchell came in and provoked the third (which was definitely there). But did you notice when Mitchell provoked Hall that an Hawthorn player pushed Hall, but silly Bazza should have fallen to the ground instead of pushing back and getting another 50 metre penalty, (brain dead or maybe corrupt umpiring?? who knows ). Worst decision is the Leo Barry/ steinglen decision but the one (in the same game) where Goodsey was running into an open gaol and Wurrapinda grabs his ankle comes pretty close. Not only did it cost us a gaol and no free kick, it should have been a reportable incident.

PS: Worst 2012 GF Decision = for me it was Morton was standing at the edge of the pack and Hodge ramming his head into Morton's legs. Poor Mitch Morton did not even move, but Hodge got the free kick???

Melbournehammer
22nd January 2013, 10:59 AM
I have a very clear recollection of the hall thing - and BBBH was a self-indulgent player at that stage of his career - railing against the appalling delivery that came into the forward line all too often in Melbourne games and complaining incessantly.

But that day at the MCG I was sitting very close to the boundary on the wing (it had rained in the morning so the seats near the wing were free for once) he should have received the free and the second fifty was as a consequence of mitchell getting away with deliberately egging him on - and i dont think it was there either. And as far as i was concerned I wasn't against BBBBH laying one on mitchell by the time the third came around - he had run about 80 metres from the initial offence with mitchell about one metre away from him yelling abuse and carrying on. I still think there was a lack of leadership from players such as kirky to actually tell barry to go back up the other end - or alternatively to have just stood between hall and mitchell.

The antagonism towards hall which came from roos that night was, and still is, unfortunate in the context of the relationship between those two and the club.

Anyway on topic I'd have to go for the solomon one - that was one of the last times we've played the bombers at the mcg, if not the last, and we were really in that game until i think schneider did his hamstring and that decision went against us. in the context of repeated smashings by the bombers at the mcg (was it about a year after lloyd kicked 14-16 against us) and our inability to get anything approaching a win against that mob (see for example kelly kicking into the man on the mark when we should have beaten them in 2001) it was really disappointing.

The stenglein one i just remember being upset about but we moved on pretty well (although there was a shepherd paid against crouch in the semi-final v geelong which i thought was pretty ordinary in the context of that game)

Doctor
22nd January 2013, 11:24 AM
The free kick to Puopalo (spelling?) towards the end of the Swans v Hawks match at the SCG was the stinker of the season for me. Should have been HTB against him and ends up being a free to him because O'Keefe's hand swatted a fly away from his face 10 seconds later.

On the Hall thing I tend to agree with more recent posters. The initial free wasn't there and then it all just went mental. Kirk or one of the other leaders should have come in and supported Hall while I've not been a fan of Mitchell since that day - his behaviour was disgraceful.

The Solomon one continues to stagger me and may well be the worst of the lot because it's an error of fact not judgement.

Industrial Fan
22nd January 2013, 12:13 PM
Glad its not just me hanging onto the Solomon one. I suffered through those bombers losses too. Aside from the Kelly kick into the man on the mark Alessio took a mark with 4 seconds on the clock to win that game, then there was the Ricky Mott miss from point blank.

My happy memories of Barry are that he was generally pretty handy against Essendon.

swansrob
22nd January 2013, 12:28 PM
The free kick to Puopalo (spelling?) towards the end of the Swans v Hawks match at the SCG was the stinker of the season for me. Should have been HTB against him and ends up being a free to him because O'Keefe's hand swatted a fly away from his face 10 seconds later.

That one was so bad the AFL admitted it was the wrong decision. Doesn't happen often.

ScottH
22nd January 2013, 12:33 PM
That one was so bad the AFL admitted it was the wrong decision. Doesn't happen often.

We have had several apologies in recent years where the AFL have admitted they got it wrong.

Triple B
22nd January 2013, 12:49 PM
We have had several apologies in recent years where the AFL have admitted they got it wrong.

There was actually two in that game, amazingly enough. Geischen admitted that Sammy should have got the 50 when Burger played on...

sharp9
22nd January 2013, 05:38 PM

A free to Solomon against Craig Bolton v Essendon MCG 2004 lives in my memory as the worst.Those are definitely the two...saved me writing it up :-)......the reason they are worse than the Rohan decision is that there were SOME extenuating circumstances explaining the umpire's mistake.....(1) Thomas go his hands to the ball first and (2) Rohan DID land on his back. Still an absolutely dreadful decision. But with the two above you just have to look at them and go HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE????????? So they are clear winners......just ahead of NOT paying a fifty against Burgoyne(?) in the SCG game right at the end.....especially when we had at least 4 50s costing goals (or shots at goal) that should not have been paid....at least 2 against Mike and one against Sammy.

Rob-bloods
22nd January 2013, 10:53 PM
What about final vs west coast 2005 at subi when our man was penalised for (was it) obstructing the kicker when the weagle clearly moved into our man
don't remember the players but it resulted in a 50 and a goal and cost us the game...

Big Al
23rd January 2013, 06:45 AM
I'm with Frog on this one. The worst Umpiring decision ever was Chamberlain deciding to pick up a whistle. That decision launched thousands of other poor decisions.

That Freo game was the angriest I've ever been at a game of footy.

Triple B
23rd January 2013, 09:47 AM
What about final vs west coast 2005 at subi when our man was penalised for (was it) obstructing the kicker when the weagle clearly moved into our man
don't remember the players but it resulted in a 50 and a goal and cost us the game...

Join in the chorus....

ScottH
23rd January 2013, 10:10 AM

Leo and Stenglein(?)

ugg
23rd January 2013, 10:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_fTN4zeVw

From 9:30 in the video.

aardvark
23rd January 2013, 12:38 PM
I agree Ugg. That was 100% wrong.

ugg
23rd January 2013, 02:18 PM
Come on look on the bright side, if we had won that qualifying final we would have faced Adelaide in the prelim and given our track record against them at the time, we could have easily lots that game. No Grand Final. No Flag.

Triple B
23rd January 2013, 02:19 PM
Thx for the link uggsta, I'd almost forgotten how much I despised Hunter....

ShockOfHair
23rd January 2013, 03:36 PM
Has anyone mentioned that free against Leo Barry in the 2005 QF?

Big Al
23rd January 2013, 03:53 PM
Has anyone mentioned that free against Leo Barry in the 2005 QF?

Not that I'm aware.

The Stenglein one has been mentioned though.

Triple B
23rd January 2013, 04:12 PM
"Polly, don't mention the war, I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it"

ShockOfHair
23rd January 2013, 06:51 PM
Come on look on the bright side, if we had won that qualifying final we would have faced Adelaide in the prelim and given our track record against them at the time, we could have easily lots that game. No Grand Final. No Flag.

But if we didn't win the 2005 flag, our ruckman would have had a less jolly time over Christmas and would have been a matchwinner in the '06 final.

Nico
23rd January 2013, 06:57 PM

I seem to remember that was said in 2012.

PerthSwannie
23rd January 2013, 09:31 PM
OK. That game at Subi. 2005 QF. I was there and I`ve gotta say I was @@@@@ing pissed off. I was seated on the left forward pocket(as in the Swans last qrt). I didn`t see the Leo/Stenglein one but the ultimate in outrageous umpiring was when Goodesy got legged right in front of me by Wirra. NO free, then a second later Bolts gets done for a high.
I was totally livid with anger. I was surrounded by Wet Toasters and I must say, they looked a bit sheepish because they new it was a free for Goodes. Plus listen to those bastard commentators. They say something like (Fair call) Give me a @@@@ing break!!!

I found this clip. Must say I`ve never watched that game again so this was the first time I`d seen it since. Very exciting. Clip starts with about 8mins to go in the game.

The crucial part is at 7.45.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g7fyE_e6jZ4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jono2707
23rd January 2013, 10:09 PM
Good to see the anger levels are getting back to our normal pre-2012-premiership - cant be resting on our laurels for too long can we
:)

Vonsteinman
24th January 2013, 12:00 AM
OK. That game at Subi. 2005 QF. I was there and I`ve gotta say I was @@@@@ing pissed off. I was seated on the left forward pocket(as in the Swans last qrt). I didn`t see the Leo/Stenglein one but the ultimate in outrageous umpiring was when Goodesy got legged right in front of me by Wirra. NO free, then a second later Bolts gets done for a high.
I was totally livid with anger. I was surrounded by Wet Toasters and I must say, they looked a bit sheepish because they new it was a free for Goodes. Plus listen to those bastard commentators. They say something like (Fair call) Give me a @@@@ing break!!!

It's funny what you remember isn't it? Today is the first time I've watched any footage from that game. I still have the brand spanking new DVD in the box set. I must admit I didn't immediately recall the Stenglein incident - must have blocked it out - but this trip on Goodesy still drifts into my mind in idle moments and makes the blood start to boil.

To make me feel better this afternoon, I watched the highlights of the 2006 QF, as I had ventured to Subi for that game. We were in with all a couple of hundred Swans fans on the upper deck and copped it all night from the surrounding fans, particularly when Barry Hall marked on the 50 in the pocket in front of us (from about 5:08 on this clip). The booing was seriously deafening. He walked back and calmly slotted it. I had never seen Swans fans react in the way we did. It sounds quiet on the audio but it certainly wasn't in the stand. And then when Mick kicked the sealer an hour later..... I will simply never forget it.

West Coast Eagles v Sydney Swans - 2006 Qualifying Final Highlights - AFL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W50wHL1v27w)

PerthSwannie
24th January 2013, 12:24 AM
Yeeeeeehhhhh;Vonsteinman. I was there at that one to. I was up in the nose bleed section. When Baz was kicking for that goal he was probably looking straight at me. Man, I had this screaming banshee of a wet toast woman beside me who was giving me the @@@@s all night but at the end I just looked at her and said YeeeeEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY. Pissed off she was. HaHAHa.

ScottH
24th January 2013, 08:11 AM
It's funny what you remember isn't it? Today is the first time I've watched any footage from that game. I still have the brand spanking new DVD in the box set. I must admit I didn't immediately recall the Stenglein incident - must have blocked it out - but this trip on Goodesy still drifts into my mind in idle moments and makes the blood start to boil.

To make me feel better this afternoon, I watched the highlights of the 2006 QF, as I had ventured to Subi for that game. We were in with all a couple of hundred Swans fans on the upper deck and copped it all night from the surrounding fans, particularly when Barry Hall marked on the 50 in the pocket in front of us (from about 5:08 on this clip). The booing was seriously deafening. He walked back and calmly slotted it. I had never seen Swans fans react in the way we did. It sounds quiet on the audio but it certainly wasn't in the stand. And then when Mick kicked the sealer an hour later..... I will simply never forget it.

West Coast Eagles v Sydney Swans - 2006 Qualifying Final Highlights - AFL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W50wHL1v27w)

9:55 onwards. One of the best passages of play under that sort of pressure. Play with BALLS!!

mcs
24th January 2013, 10:02 AM
9:55 onwards. One of the best passages of play under that sort of pressure. Play with BALLS!!

Unbelievable piece of play with one of the most memorable finishes to it in history!

Doctor
24th January 2013, 10:31 AM
I'd forgotten the Stenglein one until I saw that clip again and all the memories, bile and outrage came flooding back. What a shocking decision! Plus I had to look at clips of Hunter again. Good to know I can still be furious about an injustice against our team from 7 years ago.

Triple B
24th January 2013, 11:13 AM

Massive LOL @ 4:15.

Somebody has doctored the clip and it cuts away. You'll need to pause it at the right moment, it only lasts a millisecond, but it's hilarious..... :rofl:

Triple B
24th January 2013, 11:47 AM
Looks like I went off a bit early (no need to comment Al) and there is a few edits at different times. Shame, I preferred the subtle 'blink and you miss it' type humour...

Swansongster
24th January 2013, 12:08 PM

Reminds me of Reid's goal in last year's grand final. Admittedly one largely by hand and the other largely by foot but both A1 rebound plays.