PDA

View Full Version : Dont give up on Tommy Walsh !

Auntie.Gerald
25th February 2013, 04:06 PM
I have to say watching the game again it is only the little things that Tommy still needs to bring to his game

there was a tough ball that Harry Cunningham kicked along the ground out to the boundary miles in front of Tommy.......not Tommys fault as Harry wasnt under pressure and could have pinned it on Walsh's chest.

But what can be learnt was the line wasnt a great line that Tommy ran (as Dermmie mentioned) but more importantly he had the guy up his back and he could have easily got a free.......buddy would have........Goodes would have..........Tommy got pushed in the back (by the defenders chest and biceps) to the line as they both over ran the ball but this went on for 3 or 4m's.

Tommy is somewhat better when he can see his defender but struggles with gamemanship and earning the free when defenders are moving him away from the ball.

Tommy has great skill on both feet. He is strong and works fairly hard.

If Mike Pyke can end up a FF Ruckman for a GF winning team then in my opinion Tommy Walsh if he is patient to stay at the club can become a handy forward and maybe even a strong Grundy style defender in the future.

Final point was that Patton and Cameron didnt do much better then Walsh and Reid...........GWS had two very solid key defenders on our two forwards ......yet GWS had a big run of the footy and many more chances then our forward line to stand out !

Melbourne_Blood
25th February 2013, 04:38 PM
Patton and Cameron played on the premiership defensive spine. A little more credit is deserved for there effort I think.

Auntie.Gerald
25th February 2013, 04:49 PM
agree Aj to manned up alot on Cameron along with Richards and Grundy but they had double the chances if not triple that Reid and Walsh had and I reckon our two were easy pickings with the deliveries that rarely got to them

Auntie.Gerald
25th February 2013, 05:26 PM
sorry MB

just to qualify where I was coming from was that we may have thought Reid and Walsh were a little average but given the circumstances of lack of possession and lack of forward entries for our lads ......some may have though that Patton and Cameron looked miles ahead.

I agree with you re credit to Patton and Cameron vs our tall KP Defenders as the two GWS lads are very young but will have no doubt healthy careers

ernie koala
25th February 2013, 05:49 PM
I have to say watching the game again it is only the little things that Tommy still needs to bring to his game

Like catching the ball perhaps.

Auntie.Gerald
25th February 2013, 05:54 PM
ernie ernie ernie

c'mon ROK, Macca and Grundy even dropped the ball a couple of times and I would rate Grundy as having one of the best set of hands at the Swans !!

I know I am being bullish but he has the attributes just like Pyke he just needs to find that killer instinct and smarts against the strong defenders

Its not like i am asking him to transition to becoming a key midfielder

I do believe he should even have a few games or a few qtrs at key defender to help him find that intensity !

stellation
25th February 2013, 05:58 PM
I imagine a GAA forum somewhere has had someone post the same thread title after watching the weekend's games.

Wazza
25th February 2013, 06:15 PM
Tommy is one dimmensional with little agility his defenders ran easily off him. Jamison looked like a rebounding HB rather than the ultra defensive block he is.
What position do you see Tommy Playing in this current team? Force out morton?? Morton is better one on one and has some x factor. LRT? Can mark can lead can defend can get a goal. Reid?? little things like cant read the play cant mark cant turn cant defend sure all the little things Israel couldnt work out at GWS. (i would rate Israel as ahead of Tommy)

sorry Mate dont see a role for Tommy now or in the future -not at this level , Swans paid overs and will have to give him a couple of games to try and save face.

Cheers

waz

Triple B
25th February 2013, 06:23 PM
I imagine a GAA forum somewhere has had someone post the same thread title after watching the weekend's games.

:five:

Nico
25th February 2013, 07:29 PM
Not good enough. His highlights reel when we drafted him must have been his only career highlights. He has shown no dash or agility whatsoever.

Making up the numbers in the 2's I am afraid.

Jeffers1984
25th February 2013, 07:54 PM
Slower turning circle than Ricky Mott.

1 more year in the 2's then back to Ireland.

Auntie.Gerald
25th February 2013, 08:53 PM
Waz I was not alluding to this season for a Tommy Gun attack.......... unless injuries strike

I still think one more season in ressies and another pre season........then 2014 could be his opportunity to rise up.

If not is he a legitimate conversion to become a KP defender ?

ie Ted was approx 26/27yrs of age when he made the conversion and it was not like he showed any significant signs of making this a successful transition until he was given the job

Auntie.Gerald
25th February 2013, 09:02 PM
2013 COACHES CALL
2012 was a pretty positive year for him. When he came in as a forward he hadn?t played there a lot and he had a lot to learn to play as a key forward. The start of his pre-season was a bit slow in terms of picking up what we wanted, but about half way through the year it seemed to click for him and he came in and played good footy and got picked a couple of times to play senior footy.

Pre-season has been a bit slow because he had a shoulder operation which held him back, so he?s been non-contact for a while, but we?re hoping to get enough work into him in the next month or two.

We hope in 2013 to see him play more senior footy, that?s the big thing for him. To do that, he just needs to keep improving and if he improves as much as he did last year this year, then he?ll certainly get there.

PS the number 35 pick that Saints went with in exchange for Tommy was Daniel Markworth

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/st-kilda-youngster-daniel-markworth-will-miss-most-of-the-2013-season/story-e6frf9jf-1226540967069)

Velour&Ruffles
25th February 2013, 09:57 PM

Well played, oh peach eating controversialist.

liz
25th February 2013, 11:07 PM
I am not sure how anyone can pass judgement on our forward line from Sunday's games. The number of times they received the ball in a manner conduicive to marking could be counted on the fingers of one hand. Most of the passes in Walsh's direction were fell short, to the side or were right on top of his head with a fast marking Jamison on his tail (and Jamison is a very competent close checking defender). Add in the wet conditions and the amount of time our mids and defenders spent fumbling the ball in our backline, and it wasn't a night to be a forward.

I am not overly bullish on Walsh but I am prepared to wait for more than one crap team performance to write him off. He did show steady improvement throughout last season and I think it is clear he really wants to give the AFL his best shot. I am not convinced he is a 'close to the goal square' kind of forward. He's not really quick enough. But he does have excellent endurance, meaning he really needs to be used in a roaming role where he can work his opponent over through sheer hard work, not unlike O'Keefe did before he decided he wanted to be a (Norm Smith medal winning) onballer.

And he took his best opportunity pretty well -that was quite a skiiful snap he converted, given the conditions. He sized up the opportunity very quickly and executed perfectly.

ShockOfHair
25th February 2013, 11:30 PM
I'm just hoping he gets tried out in defence where our long-term KPP ranks are thin.
In the forward half he's got Reid, Tippett, LRT and Goodes ahead of him.
For a big guy he shows great agility. A lot of young players were rubbish yesterday so I wouldn't mark Walsh too hard.

Doctor J.
26th February 2013, 01:44 PM

:rofl::rofl:

magic.merkin
26th February 2013, 02:57 PM
Just don't see him making it as a permanent forward. Backmen perhaps with the odd swing forward.

R-1
26th February 2013, 03:51 PM
Patton and Cameron played on the premiership defensive spine. A little more credit is deserved for there effort I think.

Patton is a number 1 draft pick and Cameron would have been top 10 if he wasn't listed as a 17 year old. It's fair enough that Walsh isn't in that bracket.

BillyRayCypress
26th February 2013, 04:04 PM
Here's Tommy asking you not to give up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Ax63xZq68

Melbourne_Blood
26th February 2013, 04:55 PM
Patton is a number 1 draft pick and Cameron would have been top 10 if he wasn't listed as a 17 year old. It's fair enough that Walsh isn't in that bracket.

I think your twisting my words around. My point was that Auntie G, IMO, was underselling the efforts of these two 19-20 year olds on the best tall defensive duo in the comp.

The Big Cat
26th February 2013, 06:17 PM
I can't work him out. In the hybrid game he just dominates on the lead and overhead. The only difference in these passages of play to aussie rules is the shape of the ball! Maybe the gaelic game has slightly different leading patterns and his Irish team mates know where he's going, or he knows where they are going to kick it. It may be just like Pykie, he needs to learn the running patterns which are virtually instinctive to a kid who has grown up with the game.

Nico
26th February 2013, 06:28 PM
I am not sure how anyone can pass judgement on our forward line from Sunday's games. The number of times they received the ball in a manner conduicive to marking could be counted on the fingers of one hand. Most of the passes in Walsh's direction were fell short, to the side or were right on top of his head with a fast marking Jamison on his tail (and Jamison is a very competent close checking defender). Add in the wet conditions and the amount of time our mids and defenders spent fumbling the ball in our backline, and it wasn't a night to be a forward.

I am not overly bullish on Walsh but I am prepared to wait for more than one crap team performance to write him off. He did show steady improvement throughout last season and I think it is clear he really wants to give the AFL his best shot. I am not convinced he is a 'close to the goal square' kind of forward. He's not really quick enough. But he does have excellent endurance, meaning he really needs to be used in a roaming role where he can work his opponent over through sheer hard work, not unlike O'Keefe did before he decided he wanted to be a (Norm Smith medal winning) onballer.

And he took his best opportunity pretty well -that was quite a skiiful snap he converted, given the conditions. He sized up the opportunity very quickly and executed perfectly.

Liz, I can't work out how for his whole career ROK was supposed to be a lead up forward, who made good in the midfield. He was recruited as a midfielder and was captain of Calder Cannons and played centre. It was the club that decided to make him a half forward. When he did play in the midfield at times he played well. I can't for life of me understand why it took them so long to put him permanently in the midfield. Can't compare Walsh remotely with ROK in any form.

RogueSwan
26th February 2013, 06:54 PM
...I can't for life of me understand why it took them so long to put him permanently in the midfield. ...
Because he was such a good CHF? His endurance killed off his defender by the 4th quarter and he is a strong mark overhead.

Wazza
27th February 2013, 11:47 PM
I am not sure how anyone can pass judgement on our forward line from Sunday's games.
I am not overly bullish on Walsh but I am prepared to wait for more than one crap team performance to write him off.

I dont think too many based their opinions on a NAB game rather on what we have seen of Walsh to date. Sure if you want to mention one nice goal that any half decent forward would kick a dozen times before breaky fine.Tommy has not ripped the NEAFL apart in any game or even looked like he had the potential (any game I saw happy for you to correct me if there was one) nor shown anything todate to suggest he is going to make it IMHO.
I too would like to see him tried in defence he may have a role as third tall defender and may find it easier with the ball coming to him. Given what we have paid him we have to try him in all positions( i know sounds like a bad wedding joke). I just struggle to see where he would fit into this team now and probably the next 2 years - I thought the idea was he would nearly walk into the team within the first 6 - 12 months?

Cheers

waz