PDA

View Full Version : Reserves Talent.

swanspant12
28th April 2013, 01:10 PM
Anyone else really excited by some of the prospects coming through the reserves? Watching some of the highlight reels, I think theres some fruitful talent coming through to take over the veterans of the football club and the new look Swannies outfit. Towers, B.Jack, Membrey, Cunningham, Mitchell from what I've seen in limited video look the don the goods. Towers has really impressed me. Any reserves watchers out there that can comment on his progress? Could be our new Teddy. Quick, Good hands, gets in the right positions. Thoughts? Also just on B.Jack, I think he'll develop into a really quick outside winger/small forward.

dimelb
28th April 2013, 01:24 PM
We regularly hear from the ressie watchers about these players and I too would be interested in their assessments so far. But I don't think Towers has the height (so to speak) to take Ted's role. However I get the impression Xav might just do it.

Auntie.Gerald
28th April 2013, 01:33 PM
it would be fair to say that we have some of the greatest potential in our ressies for some time !

a few maybe one or two seasons away but by mid to late season there will be a few others that will get game time via injury to players in our regular 22

Rampe is an exciting example........i remember AJ having some scary moments in his first 6 games or so and then he went on to be an integral part of our back 6

I think Rampe can development into Mattners role.........they are both the same height and both cover the backs very well and I am so confident of Rampe if persisted with could even play tagging type roles as well as his base fitness is exceptional and he is physical

another pre season will certainly lift the base and strength of a stack of the young brigade !

pumped !!

:clap:

Auntie.Gerald
28th April 2013, 01:42 PM
Mitchell, Rampe, Marsh, Cunningham, Towers, Brandon, Xavier, Brown, Dick, Membrey, Lloyd off the top of my head could all be serious change of the guard players that could go beyond fringe to important players in the 22.............like Bird did the last few seasons ie play a role and play it well for a few seasons and then who knows as anything can happen

Tippett on the field very soon......and Rohan and AJ to come back

Everitt, Morton, White, Armstrong great depth to fill in and possibly one or two of them may feature more in the future

29th April 2013, 09:39 AM
Any news/sightings of Rohan and where he is up to with his rehab?

Only six more games without Tippett and hell do we need him to stand up for us as the forward line is giving us nothing at present.

Nico
29th April 2013, 07:37 PM
Latest I heard about Rohan is that he is expected to join normal training in a few weeks. He has apparently stepped up his running. No idea when he will be ready though.

ernie koala
29th April 2013, 07:53 PM
Mitchell, Rampe, Marsh, Cunningham, Towers, Brandon, Xavier, Brown, Dick, Membrey, Lloyd off the top of my head could all be serious change of the guard players that could go beyond fringe to important players in the 22.............like Bird did the last few seasons ie play a role and play it well for a few seasons and then who knows as anything can happen

Everitt, Morton, White, Armstrong great depth to fill in and possibly one or two of them may feature more in the future

And Mr Lamb.

liz
29th April 2013, 09:46 PM

The reality is that most of the players we drafted last year are likely to depart after 1-4 years on the list. Yes, they all seem to have a bit of footy talent (they wouldn't have been drafted otherwise) and they are playing exceptionally well discplined football in the NEAFL under Mr Crouch. But it is a long way from there to regular senior players. If we find a couple of gems from that group we'll be doing reasonably well, but it's far too early yet to predict who those are most likely to be.

Sorry if this is a bit of a dampener - but history indicates that's what happens. Some will be plagued by niggling injuries, some won't improve quickly enough, some just won't be able to edge in front of a senior team encumbant before their time runs out. Bear in mind that our reserves team has been quite dominant in most years in the ACTAFL / NEAFL, at least while there have been low levels of injury. Look back at the mid-noughties, where we drafted a very capable and deep lists of rookies, including the likes of Simpkin, Phillips, Barlow, Rowe, Wall, Terlich, Clarke, Grundy, Vogels, Smith, Jack. Supplemented by senior list players like Brabazon, Thornton, and Laidlaw, the team was as dominant as the current one. It's an interesting list of names in that Simpkin, Rowe, Phillips and Terlich have all moved on but then earned a recall to another AFL club. None has (yet) graduated past bit part player however.

The fact that we've found three first choice (and premiership) players from that list of rookies is impressive (or lucky) but almost none of our senior list draftees over that period ever became regular seniors, which tempers things a bit.

29th April 2013, 11:48 PM
Agree Liz, it's always easy to think we have lots of potential senior players in the ressies but as you point out, few actually make the grade.

It's the same at every club. If you read other clubs Bigfooty chat sites, supporters are always talking up their ressie players, every team has a really bright future in the eyes of ever hopeful supporters, it's what we cling to. How often have talked up players only to see them get delisted. We are eternal optimists, always hopeful that a Swans number one draft pick will actually warrant their draft position!

Liz, as a long time watcher, any of this current crop of ressies catch your eye as likely to succeed? The sentimentalist in me desperately wants Jack Jnr to make it.

Ludwig
30th April 2013, 12:09 AM
Also sadly agree Liz. Isn't it a pity that statistics beats talent. It always seems to find a way.

I remember the hope we had with White and Walsh, and the likes of Meredith, Veszpremi and Tim Schmidt, just to name a few. But somehow there always seems to be a way the hope vanishes into thin air.

And even when you find a winner, they seem to either break a leg, tear an ACL or mysteriously fall out of form.

swanspant12
30th April 2013, 12:25 AM
Also sadly agree Liz. Isn't it a pity that statistics beats talent. It always seems to find a way.

I remember the hope we had with White and Walsh, and the likes of Meredith, Veszpremi and Tim Schmidt, just to name a few. But somehow there always seems to be a way the hope vanishes into thin air.

And even when you find a winner, they seem to either break a leg, tear an ACL or mysteriously fall out of form.

White hasn't been a failure by any means. He was picked up at pick 79, and has made a fairly formidable career coming from that deep and has played a role in a lot of vital games for us. Horse, for some reason doesn't favour Whitey and even with LRT going out of the side, still not getting a game says something about how much he rates him. Walsh is still coming along and I think he can still play a role as a backman. Definitely don't see him having the smarts for a permanent forward position.

Agreed on the others, but in Jimmy's opinion, draft choices can be hit and miss as we've seen in so many of them. How did hanners slip to pick 30? Baffling really.

Ludwig
30th April 2013, 02:08 AM
I think White won't get a game unless necessary because we can't afford to have him on the payroll next year. He's 25 yo. There was a lot of hope for many years. You can't say he's delivered. Will almost certainly be off our list next year, and would have been this year if not for the AFC screw up on Tippett.

liz
30th April 2013, 02:11 AM
Liz, as a long time watcher, any of this current crop of ressies catch your eye as likely to succeed? The sentimentalist in me desperately wants Jack Jnr to make it.

I am very wary about making calls too soon. I remember coming back from a pre-season reserves practice game at Lakeside (Bus Loop) Oval a few years back and declaring I had seen the future of the side, after watching Vez dominate in his first outing with the club, and seeing some very promising signs in the first competitive game of the sport ever played by Brendan Murphy. DOH!

As already commented, most of our recent recruits show talent, and some have definite AFL attributes. Particularly for the rookies, I suspect what the club is looking for during their first year is genuine improvement. I think this is what gets some rookies second years on the list, while others - apparently more developed - sometimes don't. No doubt there's a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff taken into account too, like their overall attitude, the way they train, how desparate they are to succeed, and things that are measurable but not necessarily apparent to an outsider watching their early steps, such as inherent physical ability to achieve high levels of endurance in time.

Kieran Jack was an interesting case at the end of his first rookie year. We had a really strong crop of rookies that year, and there was a restriction on how many could be retained on the rookie list -three, I believe. Phillips had already played senior football, while Rowe and Simpkin were showing something, and Barlow had some x-factor apparent, even though his first year blooper tape would have been long and varied. Jack was probably the least obvious "AFL" possible of the group, having played mostly as a back pocket, showing dash and enthusiam but limited finesse. I thought he was borderline to get another year, and Roos has subsequently mentioned in the media that they thought long and hard about it. But he had clearly improved over that first year, and there was something "je ne sais quoi" about him. Obviously he did make the cut, and at the start of the next season starting tearing it up in the midfield, to the point where he was elevated and made his debut halfway through that season.

DamY
30th April 2013, 08:23 AM
My 5c says Brandon, Lloyd and Membrey will play seniors in time (and obviously Rampe is playing already). The rest I am not so sure about as they haven't stood out to me just yet, but who knows!

Auntie.Gerald
30th April 2013, 09:31 AM
Mitchell is a walk in once he has his base and there is a spot that ROK or Jude etc are not holding down

Brandon is very raw and exciting but who knows as we have Jetta, Rohan, Morton as wide lighter bodied outside players

Lamb is the million dollar question - he is developing into a midfielder and showing signs he is trending upwards with his tank and ability to run as hard both ways. he has the skill.

If Membrey was or ends up 191cm or taller he would be a walk in as a Bradshaw style player. He is so dominant as a young fella in the marking contest, he has a brilliant kick and could be a swing player from the forwards and backs in early years.

Marsh for me stood out on his high light video like Luke Parker as being decisive and strong bodied and they both just looked like AFL level footy players !.......Marsh appears in the coaches eyes as needing to be developed as an inside midfielder so that may take some time but he does have that little bit of Kennedy about him

Alex Brown could be one of those players a little like AJ that if they get a sniff could grab the chance with both hands

Lloyd could be one of those players that is clean and skill wise but a bigger bodied midfielder may get the nod ahead of him ie a Mitchell, Parker, Marsh or even Rampe who was a midfielder.

Cunningham has all the opportunity to take over from Shaw in the future

Rampe has his opportunity now to shine and I still feel he could tag in the midfield

Towers i am guessing as a rebound defender or wing but may only get a shot if a Jetta was injured etc

Xavier we will need a 195cm defender big time in a few years- so bit by bit development

Dick has the speed but not sure yet.......i need to see more ressie games

dimelb
30th April 2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks AG - illuminating.

Auntie.Gerald
30th April 2013, 04:08 PM
its rare Di, that I get a little carried away :idea:

mcs
30th April 2013, 04:46 PM
White hasn't been a failure by any means. He was picked up at pick 79, and has made a fairly formidable career coming from that deep and has played a role in a lot of vital games for us. Horse, for some reason doesn't favour Whitey and even with LRT going out of the side, still not getting a game says something about how much he rates him. Walsh is still coming along and I think he can still play a role as a backman. Definitely don't see him having the smarts for a permanent forward position.

Agreed on the others, but in Jimmy's opinion, draft choices can be hit and miss as we've seen in so many of them. How did hanners slip to pick 30? Baffling really.

I'd say White may not have been a failure, but at very least has been a great disappointment. Could be such a player, but just doesn't have the mongrel in him.

Reggi
30th April 2013, 04:57 PM
From what I have seen we have a pretty mediocre group. Realistically most of the guys who make it, not all, are pushing for selection in their first and second years.

Other than Mitchell & Rohan, of the ones I have seen, only B Jack, maybe Membrey, maybe Towers, have talents that would give them a chance at AFL. The rest I expect to not make it

swanspant12
30th April 2013, 05:16 PM
From what I have seen we have a pretty mediocre group. Realistically most of the guys who make it, not all, are pushing for selection in their first and second years.

Other than Mitchell & Rohan, of the ones I have seen, only B Jack, maybe Membrey, maybe Towers, have talents that would give them a chance at AFL. The rest I expect to not make it

Towers will definetly make it. Love the look of him. Quick, smart, good skills and good size. Has the pace to play tall and small.

royboy42
30th April 2013, 05:36 PM
I'm a Lamb believer..he seems to have responded well to Crouch's coaching..gained a pretty good tank..knows where the goals are.

Mitchell a walk up when properly match fit, and once he sneaks in, will be a fixture for a long time.

Rampe has a terrific chance to make his mark this season.

Seeing Walker go down at the weekend may have both the Crows and Jesse rue the decision to pass on him preseason..he'd be prettymuch automatic for their firsts next weekend, esp with his rucking development this and late last year.

Auntie.Gerald
30th April 2013, 05:58 PM
i wonder if LJ will now fold into the 22 at the Crows ???

Lewis !!!!!!!

wolftone57
1st May 2013, 03:05 PM

Aunty you forgot Lambie

wolftone57
1st May 2013, 03:22 PM

How many Twos games have you seen Reggi? I think this group is a lot better than last years model and definitely better than Vesper or that mob. The difference is in the skill level and the mongrel. All of our young blokes have a bit of it including 'The Kid' Lloyd. I go to all the Twos that are before the main game and I watch replays if they are available or just highlights. It is not that they win that counts, although it is the preferred option even for the Twos, it is how they go about their footy. This Twos side is a 'TEAM' everything comes down to helping each other, knowing each others strengths, weaknesses and playing together. This will help them if they ever play Seniors and I think plenty of these boys will unlike in past years because we only had a few possies before. In the near future we will have quite a few as players retire.

wolftone57
1st May 2013, 03:28 PM
i wonder if LJ will now fold into the 22 at the Crows ???

Lewis !!!!!!!

Probably not, Shaun McKernan kicked 6 goals for Glenelg last week. He has been quite close to a Crows start but South, who he played for up until two weeks ago, insisted on playing him in the back line. He applied for a transfer to Glenelg which was approved within a week and promptly kicks 6.

Ludwig
1st May 2013, 04:12 PM
How many Twos games have you seen Reggi? I think this group is a lot better than last years model and definitely better than Vesper or that mob. The difference is in the skill level and the mongrel. All of our young blokes have a bit of it including 'The Kid' Lloyd. I go to all the Twos that are before the main game and I watch replays if they are available or just highlights. It is not that they win that counts, although it is the preferred option even for the Twos, it is how they go about their footy. This Twos side is a 'TEAM' everything comes down to helping each other, knowing each others strengths, weaknesses and playing together. This will help them if they ever play Seniors and I think plenty of these boys will unlike in past years because we only had a few possies before. In the near future we will have quite a few as players retire.

Uplifting post. Reading the reports from the ressies watchers, like yourself, does give the fans a lot to be optimistic about. But the 'reality check' from Liz's post is a good counterbalance, and for various reasons, as she rightfully points out, so many of these hopefuls don't make it.

I certainly hope you are right. Do you really think that this group is well and truly a cut above the one's in the past? And have they shown you something special that makes you think they are more than just good NEAFL players, but have true senior level qualitiies.

ShockOfHair
1st May 2013, 04:39 PM
I am very wary about making calls too soon. I remember coming back from a pre-season reserves practice game at Lakeside (Bus Loop) Oval a few years back and declaring I had seen the future of the side, after watching Vez dominate in his first outing with the club, and seeing some very promising signs in the first competitive game of the sport ever played by Brendan Murphy. DOH!

I remember that!:smile:.

At least you didn't announce Barlow as the next Adam Goodes!

And the Doggies and Emma Q sill think Vesz is a prospect.

wolftone57
1st May 2013, 05:15 PM
Uplifting post. Reading the reports from the ressies watchers, like yourself, does give the fans a lot to be optimistic about. But the 'reality check' from Liz's post is a good counterbalance, and for various reasons, as she rightfully points out, so many of these hopefuls don't make it.

I certainly hope you are right. Do you really think that this group is well and truly a cut above the one's in the past? And have they shown you something special that makes you think they are more than just good NEAFL players, but have true senior level qualitiies.

Lloyd: Young yet but oozes talent. Clever, smart, a very good mark and disposer. Can also kick goals and didn't look out of place in the preseason games. I am excited about this kid.

Lamb: Reminds me of Joey at times. Wonderful skills. Can play outside or in and under. Really good leader on the field. Needs to work on his bread & butter goal kicking but his freakish goal kicking is super. Good tackle, they stay tackled.

Brandon Jack: Very good tackler. Developing good skills, reads the ball well. Is quite fast but also physical. Reasonable kick for goal and field kicking is good but needs to work on in close handball and some decision making.

Robinson: i am really impressed with Daniel. He is a really good kick at goal. He tackles really well and is tall enough to take the odd contested mark. Which he is quite good at by the way. Can play forward or mid and moves pretty well. He has been a nice surprise.

Richards: Been solid in the backline. He is a very good spoil and takes a good mark. Like Teddy, he seems to know which to go for and when. He is also a good linkman in attacking moves but is very careful to go back and pick his man up. Has had to take responsibility for the backline in his first year, which is a bit harsh on the young fella, due to toppies playing mainly in the back half.

Biggs: Not sure about Shane. He looks so good at the moment. His kick outs are very good, his field kicking is generally good and he is setting play up beautifully. But somehow he can still seem quiet. Maybe a quiet achiever. I like his skills. I am not sure he is hard enough for AFL though. but they said that of Mal a few years ago and he plays the same sort of role.

Naismith: Haven't seen young Sam much this year due to injury. But I think he will be ok. Big guys develop slower and they will develop him over time. Has wonderful agility for a 203cm bloke. a bit like Smith for Gold Coast but not as developed, as he can also run the ball and baulk and turn.

Membrey: Tim didn't play the last game. I liked what I was seeing at ANZ and if he keeps developing that way he will be the third 'tall' forward in our Seniors forwardline in time. But didn't play last game. Definitely need to see more to make a judgement. Has kicked 9 in 3, third only to Mitch & Tommy.

Mitchell: If he can stay on the park he will be a star one day. He has it all. Great disposal, work ethic, good mark for his size (just like Lukie). Need to see more but if he lives up to the potential he showed in a couple of games last year he will play Seniors this year.

Cunningham: Harry has played as a half back but moved further up the ground a couple of times. He is a wonderful long kick. His decision making can be a bit of a problem. He throws himself in and gets the ball easily. He is also very fast. Needs more time.

Towers: I think this lad is just starting to show a bit and the bit he is showing I like. He can shrug a tackle by using a shimmer. He is a really good disposer and can mark very confidently. He runs the ball well and almost always makes good decisions.

Lockyer: Seems to be a little lost at the moment. I am not sure about him. Need to see a lot more of him. He spent most of last season injured so it may just be a slow comeback. The other thing is he was getting caught out in the Twos and was a bit slow in the games I have seen. Needs to do something about that.

Dick: Matty hasn't stood out at all and if I remember rightly he hasn't played all the games. Need to see much more of him to make a judgement.

Marsh: He has impressed and is a good shot at goal. Played in various roles and has equipped himself well at this stage. Need to see more but certainly a good start.

brown: Very controlled and comfortable. Very good disposal skills. A really good mark and spoil. Very good decision maker. I like this bloke and I think he is on the brink of a senior game. Possibly just about 4th or 5th in line. goes about his task quietly and gets the job done. No frills but then that is what the Swans are aren't they?

That is it. There are probably some arguments as to who will make it and who not but I think the proof of that pudding is always how they equip themselves once they get a chance. They will either take it like a storm or just fizz out. Sometimes a player plays a really dog of a first game due to nerves and the second time he gets a chance never looks back. Some the Swans will see as not equitting themselves well enough at NEAFL level to keep on the list.

The players playing for their footy lives this year are; Lockyer, Brown, Dick (for main listing), Biggs, Walsh, White, Cunningham & Everitt. Each of those except Dick have been here for at least 2 seasons and need to perform now or be either dropped to the rookie list or delisted. I say Dick at this stage because he out of all the last 2 years recruits has been the quietest for mine.

Ludwig
1st May 2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks Wolf. Excellent rundown of the current situation. Hopefully the success percentages fall our way to make up for all the hopefuls of the past that turned out to be duds.

dimelb
1st May 2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all that detail Wolfy.

WolfGang
1st May 2013, 06:47 PM
Any idea on who could be upgraded from the Rookie list ?????

Unsure if any will be upgraded with LRT's extended injury + the mid/late season 'free' (??) upgrade.
I'm unsure if there is an upgrade for all teams mid or late season - if anyone knows - please advise. - Thanks

hot potato
1st May 2013, 07:38 PM
Excellent info guys.
And how's Crouchy looking for a senior coaching job down the track ?

HP

crackedactor
1st May 2013, 11:40 PM

Other than Mitchell & Rohan, of the ones I have seen, only B Jack, maybe Membrey, maybe Towers, have talents that would give them a chance at AFL. The rest I expect to not make itJust for the Record, a friend of mine has watched a couple of reserve games and is wrapped with Alex Brown, even though he needs to
put on a few extra kilos to play seniors. I know Jude Bolton has said he is wrapped with Tom Mitchell, but it is a worry about all the injuries he seems to get. I think the
jury is still out on the rest.

Reggi
2nd May 2013, 09:45 AM

Enough. I will put it this way. Last week our emergencies were White, Walsh, Morton. So none of these young guys are pushing for selection.

Membrey is a classic of our current crop. He is an outstanding second tier player, but his lack of height is clearly a massive impediment to making it at AFL level

Primmy
2nd May 2013, 09:57 AM
And how's Crouchy looking for a senior coaching job down the track ?

HP I Tweeted Crouchy along the lines of I bet he was enjoying the coaching gig, and his reply was that it was easy with this crop of kids. They are mostly quite intelligent, and understand the 'team' ethic already. That in itself is unusual for a crop of 18 to 22 yos trying to stand out and impress the coaches.

Come to the Ressies games! there is a lot to look at, it may not be a brilliant contest, but it does give you a clear idea of what the future is going to provide. It is also an insight into realising who is probably not going to make it, and why. And you also have the puzzlements. I thought Jesse would be a gun from about his 3rd ressie game on. Think that may be an ingrained thought that is difficult to get away from.

dimelb
2nd May 2013, 10:05 AM
Enough. I will put it this way. Last week our emergencies were White, Walsh, Morton. So none of these young guys are pushing for selection.

Membrey is a classic of our current crop. He is an outstanding second tier player, but his lack of height is clearly a massive impediment to making it at AFL level
I think your point is made Reggi.
Membrey could still offer a lot: at 189 cm and 89 kg he is bigger than, say, Mitch at 185/82, and sounds like a better set shot.

ShockOfHair
2nd May 2013, 10:11 AM
I thought Jesse would be a gun from about his 3rd ressie game on. Think that may be an ingrained thought that is difficult to get away from.

Jesse IS a gun in the ressies.

Reggi
2nd May 2013, 10:28 AM
I think your point is made Reggi.
Membrey could still offer a lot: at 189 cm and 89 kg he is bigger than, say, Mitch at 185/82, and sounds like a better set shot.

Sure, but chances are against it. Reminds me of when we drafted Shane Smith, who had similar u/18 credentials and went on to be a gun at VFL level.

I would love to see him make it, just that he is emblematic that we have a lot of guys who are just a bit off AFL level

jono2707
2nd May 2013, 10:42 AM
I think Membrey might be a bit of a Stuart Crameri type - 190cms 95kgs who is not a key forward but still a pretty decent player. He'll do alright although he'll take a little bit of development. He shouldn't have fallen as far he did in the draft so we sort of accidentally got him.

Mitchell will make it. Towers seems to have been recruited for a specific purpose so we could see him sometime. Lamb is on the verge of a debut. Of the rest, Lloyd and Jack are likely but long-term prospects, Harry may get another chance at some stage but I'm not expecting too much of the rest. Good to hear Brown is being spoken of highly.

Lockyer and Biggs would be doubtful to make it on to 2014 but I hope they give it a red hot shot - Lockyer has been particularly disappointing to date unfortunately.

I don't see Naismith as anywhere near a chance to go further at this stage - however it was a smart move to recruit a ruckman for the 2s to give us some continuity there to help develop our young midfielders and to give Jesse a hand.

liz
2nd May 2013, 02:23 PM
I reckon that writing off the chances of players we've recruited over the last couple of years - especially the 18 and 19 year olds - is as foolish as expecting the majority of them to graduate to senior football. They are all part of a team that has played some wonderfully effective and disciplined football over the past couple of months and each has made a contribution to that. Many of them are very early in their careers and have a huge amount of development left in them.

Although I posted earlier in this thread that past history suggests most won't, it is certainly not my view that most of the current crop have no (or little) potential too. I just think it is too soon to identify those who will, especially when luck with injury and opportunity will play as much of a role as raw talent and application.

I find the idea that Membrey most likely won't because he's "only" 189 cm tall to be quite bizarre. That's just an inch or so shorter than Tony Lockett, and a similar height to Ryan O'Keefe. There are any number of roles he might successfully fill at AFL level if he fulfills his obvious potential.

Similarly, how can one write off a 19yo lumbering ruckman who was playing in regional NSW a year ago, who has barely had a chance to play with the reserves team yet due to his injury, yet has already managed to significantly change his body shape since the back end of last season when he played as a top up for a few game? Where were Dean Cox, Shane Mumford, Darren Jolly et al when they were his age?

Primmy
2nd May 2013, 03:54 PM
Everyone should have a read of what Jimmy B had to say in today's Herald/Age. With him 100% about expecting 18yos to be 28yos.

satchmopugdog
2nd May 2013, 05:57 PM
Anything Jimmy Bartel has to say would make me swoon, especially if he was in his long sleeve guernsey

jono2707
2nd May 2013, 06:55 PM
Similarly, how can one write off a 19yo lumbering ruckman who was playing in regional NSW a year ago, who has barely had a chance to play with the reserves team yet due to his injury, yet has already managed to significantly change his body shape since the back end of last season when he played as a top up for a few game? Where were Dean Cox, Shane Mumford, Darren Jolly et al when they were his age?

Although I too am excited by Naismith's potential, and height, I think our recent history in drafting and developing ruckmen has tempered my expectations on where he'll get to with us. We haven't developed our own ruckman from scratch (Pykey excepted obviously) for a long time but instead buying and improving somewhat ready-made guys like Mummy, Seaby, Jolly, Ball etc. Whilst I think it's really important to have a developing ruckman or 2 in Ressies to help young guys learn our structures and to develop, none of the young ruckmen recently have been retained long enough to get a run with the 1s.

It sure will be interesting to see how Naismith develops over the next year or two though - we have great ruck coaches as he is nice and tall.....