View Full Version : VFL Round 8: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

ugg
10th May 2013, 03:50 PM
We can work it out

NEAFL Round 8
UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves
Sunday 12th May 2013 9.30am
Blacktown International Sportspark

The Giants and the Swans will face off in the 2nd match of their 4 game series at the doubly unusual time and venue of 9.30am at Blacktown. The Swans pipped the Giants in Round 2 thanks mainly to their accurate conversion and the Giants' inability to capitalise on their chances.

After a slow start to the season, the return of players from injury at both senior and reserves has boosted UWS' stocks. They will also be fresh coming off the bye last weekend. The Swans on the other hand, are down on numbers and will be smarting from losing their unbeaten record, when they were overrun by a hungry Lions Reserves outfit in a disappointing last quarter.
Eastern Conference Ladder
Team|Played|Wins|Losses|Draws|Byes|For|Against|Per centage|Points
Queanbeyan|6|5|1|0|1|645|520|124.04%|20
Reserves|5|4|1|0|2|683|397|172.04%|16
Belconnen|6|4|2|0|1|764|551|138.66%|16
UWS|5|3|2|0|2|600|466|128.76%|12
Ainslie|6|3|3|0|1|584|583|100.17%|12
{colsp=10}-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hills Eagles|5|2|3|0|2|500|582|85.91%|8
Eastlake|6|2|4|0|1|499|640|77.97%|8
Tuggeranong|5|2|3|0|2|316|603|52.40%|8
Sydney Uni|5|0|5|0|2|440|634|69.40%|0

Past Meetings
R2 UWS Giants 14.18 (102) defeated by Reserves 17.5 (107) @ ANZ Stadium

Goals: Morton 3, Membrey 3, Everitt 3, Weir, Jack, Head, Lloyd, White, Cunningham, Brown, Lamb
Best: Everitt, Bird, White, Morton, Lloyd, Cunningham

R1 UWS Giants 4.9 (33) defeated by Reserves 23.13 (151) @ ANZ Stadium
The Swans began their NEAFL season with a bang kicking 8 goals in the first quarter and keeping the hapless and undermanned Giants scoreless. The rout continued throughout the game, with Mark Seaby, Jarred Moore and Dylan McNeil dominating the clearances, and Trent Dennis-Lane and Jesse White finishing off their teammates' good work with 10 goals between them.

Goals: Dennis-Lane 6, White 4, Seaby 2, Lamb 2, Pyke 2, Moore 2, Cass 2, Biggs, McNeil, Morton
Best: Seaby, Dennis-Lane, Moore, White, Lynch, McNeil

R14 Reserves 18.21 (129) defeated UWS 6.6 (42) @ ANZ Stadium
Poor conversion in front of goal didn't cost the Reserves anything but a bigger victory as they were too strong for the youngsters from UWS. Nick Malceski was in fine form, rebounding from half back in a dynamic display with ex-West Coast rookie Lewis Broome setting the stadium alight with 5 well taken goals.

Goals: Broome 5, Dennis-Lane 4, Gordon 2, Biggs, Mitchell, Spangher, McNeil, Moody, Potter, Moore
Best: Malceski, McNeil, Meredith, Broome, Dennis-Lane, Potter

R19 UWS Giants 9.10 (64) defeated by Reserves 18.18 (126) @ Skoda Stadium
The Giants jumped the Swans early to kick the first 3 goals of the match before the Swans clawed their way back in the contest to trail by only a goal. The 2nd half was a completely different story as the Swans caused the Giants to continually turn the ball over and hurt them on the rebound through their hard running and classy forwards. Morton led the goalkicking again but it was the key defenders in Heath and Lynch who were the real heroes keeping the Giants to just 2 goals after half time.

Goals: Morton 5, Lamb 4, Spangher 2, Crawford, Everitt, Heeney, Thurgarland, Roos, McNeil, Broome
Best: Heath, White, Lynch, Moore, Lamb, Thurgarland

Recent Form
Reserves
Round|Team|Venue|Result|F|A
R1|BYE|
R2|UWS|Away|WIN|107|102|
R3|Gold Coast|Home|WIN|110|65|
R4|Tuggernong|Away|WIN|237|40|
R5|Hills Eagles|Home|WIN|148|86|
R6|BYE|
R7|Brisbane|Home|LOSS|81|104|

UWS Giants
Round|Team|Venue|Result|F|A
R1|BYE|
R2|Sydney|Home|LOSS|102|107|
R3|Brisbane|Away|LOSS|62|101|
R4|Ainslie|Home|WIN|141|64|
R5|Belconnen|Away|WIN|137|127|
R6|Eastlake|Home|WIN|158|67|
R7|BYE|

Last Round
Reserves 11.15 (81) defeated by Brisbane Reserves 15.14 (104) @ SCG

Goals: Morton 5, Towers 2, Perris, Everitt, Robinson, Jack
Best: Walsh, Morton, White, Mitchell, Everitt, Richards

UWS Giants 24.14 (158) defeated Eastlake 9.13 (67) @ Star Track Oval

Goals: Frost 6, Wilson 3, Townsend 3, Ugle 3, Edwards 2, Hampton 2, Whiley, Downie, Growden, Miles, Darley
Best: Bruce, Whiley, Downie, Miles, Buntine, Ugle

Team List
Listed players
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
1|Tim MEMBREY|4|9|0|Not only was he held goalless for the first time this year, he didn't get much of the ball either.
6|Tom MITCHELL|4|1|3|Valuable learning experience being matched up against Simon Black last week, impressed enough to be named in the best for the first time this year
10|Mitch MORTON|4|23|13|Looks like he'll have to keep working his butt off in the reserves, waiting for an opportunity to open up in the seniors.
13|Andrejs EVERITT|3|7|8|Continues to be played in the midfield at this level, even though there's little chance that role will be replicated in the seniors.
17|Tommy WALSH|4|12|11|Best on ground last week at fullback, has also kicked 12 goals as a forward. There are some big boys in the Giants lineup that may require some careful watching.
18|Jesse WHITE|5|3|12|Had more of the ball than usual and more encouragingly used it better than normal.
22|Dean TOWERS|5|5|0|Has he possibly found a role as a leading forward target?
23|Jordan LOCKYER|5|1|0|Efficient performance last week as a backman.
27|Daniel ROBINSON|5|4|3|Continues to impress with his in and under work, especially his handballs in close.
28|Matthew DICK|4|0|0|More involved last week, had more of the ball but didn't use it particularly well.
31|Harrison MARSH|4|3|0|As the side's number 1 tagger, will latch onto one of the Giants' precocious young talents.
33|Brandon JACK|5|7|0|Creative player who is having an impact on the scoreboard.
36|Alex BROWN|5|2|8|Still being used at both ends of the ground, but significantly more time in defence than attack.
42|Xavier RICHARDS|4|0|1|Best game last week before going off with cramp.
44|Jake LLOYD|5|4|8|Continues racking up the disposals, good tank allows him to have an impact across 4 quarters.
46|Shane BIGGS|5|0|0|The number 1 rebounding defender in the side at the moment.

Changes
In:
Out:

Just like the seniors, no changes.

Mitchell will look to build upon his full game last week and will be joined at the coalface by Everitt, Robinson, Marsh and Lloyd. White will continue his solo hand in the ruck, with only the barest of assistance from Walsh or Everitt. The actual positions of Walsh and Brown will depend on the matchups on the day, they are likely to be at opposite ends though. If Walsh is played back then the bulk of the goalscoring will fall mainly on the shoulders of Morton, Membrey and Jack with the rest to be, hopefully, filled in by the midfielders. Richards and Dick will be handed key posts in defence with Biggs and Lockyer also to assist.

One or more of Morton, Walsh, White will travel with the seniors but should be back in Sydney before the game starts. (hope they aren't flying Tiger)

Academy Players/Topups
#|Name|Games|Goals|Votes|Notes
47|Stephen WRAY|3|0|0|
48|Doug HADDEN|2|0|2|
50|Calum JOHNSTON|1|0|0|
51|Mitch CRAWFORD|4|0|0|
58|Wills BRASSIL|0|0|0|From Manly-Warringah
59|Lachlan KILPATRICK|1|0|0|
60|Thomas THURGARLAND|0|0|0|

In: Brassil, Hadden, Johnston, Kilpatrick, Thurgarland
Out: Harrison GREEN, Thomas HEAD, Lloyd PERRIS, Jordan WEIR

The Swans Academy are playing the GWS Academy on Saturday, and thus we lose Perris, Green and Weir (and Head as well if he wasn't injured) from our topup list and their putative replacements. Brassil is a tall who has played some ruck for his local team. Thurgarland played as a topup last year.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Mitch Morton 23
Tommy Walsh 12
Tim Membrey 9

For full list: 2012 Goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php/2012_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Jed Lamb 14
Mitch Morton 13
Jesse White 12

For full list: 2012 Best Votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php/2012_Best_votes)

UWS Giants
|||
B:|43. Kurt AYLETT|46. Bret THORNTON|13. Sam DARLEY|
HB:|21. Matt BUNTINE|30. Lachlan PLOWMAN|2. Curtly HAMPTON
C:|33. Will HOSKIN-ELLIOTT|15. Tim GOLDS|25. Anthony MILES
HF:|16. Nathan WILSON|36. James STEWART|22. Shaun EDWARDS
F:|41. Josh GROWDEN|48. Sam FROST|42. Mark WHILEY
Foll:|44. Tom DOWNIE|14. Tom BUGG|19. Nick HAYNES
Int:|32. Gerald UGLE|49. Joe REDFERN|45. Sam SCHULZ|
|5. Aksel BANG|

In: Bang, Bugg, Haynes, Hoskin-Elliott, Plowman, Redfern, Schulz, Thornton
Out: Taylor ADAMS, Sam ASKEW, Aidan CORR, Tim CLOWRY, Tyson NUNN, Jacob TOWNSEND, Luke WHARTON

The Giants of course will also be missing their Academy players too, but given they already have 20 listed players in the squad that's not such a hindrance for them as it is for us. Excitingly for them, their Danish international scholarship midfielder Aksel Bang gets his NEAFL debut as a result.

Their in-form players include on-ballers Mark Whiley and Anthony Miles, utilities Nick Haynes and Curtly Hampton and ruckman Tom Downie. Frost, Wilson and Thornton will be their main targets up forward. Highly rated number 3 pick Lachie Plowman is making his NEAFL debut after getting a taste of senior AFL football early and will have fellow high draftee Matt Buntine and Sam Darley by his side.

wolftone57
10th May 2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ugg. Great review. I would love to go out there but it is so early and I live in the inner city and use public transport. I also have an assignment to complete which complicates matters even more. Is the game being streamed at all?

ugg
10th May 2013, 04:33 PM
Guess that means White is out, interesting to see who rucks in place of him.

BeeEmmAre
10th May 2013, 09:27 PM
I just hope the Giants don't get too much Bang for their Bugg..... :redface:

ugg
10th May 2013, 09:35 PM
Anyone going to this? I can't make it

Northern_Swan
10th May 2013, 10:30 PM
If anyone does go, I would love to hear about Askel Bang. My European mates reckon he is the business, would be interested to see how he goes at the next level

wolftone57
11th May 2013, 11:34 AM
Ugg do you know who will replace Jesse? Or can you guess. Because the Academy's are playing each other today there won't be any Academy players available.

ugg
11th May 2013, 11:40 AM
Probably no one, one of the topups (Brassil) can play ruck.

Big Al
11th May 2013, 11:52 AM
Anyone going to this? I can't make it

I'm planning to go. If I make it I'll post some updates on Twitter.

BillyRayCypress
11th May 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm planning to go. If I make it I'll post some updates on Twitter.

Junior footy commitments counts me out.

Don't understand why they aren't playing the game before the game at SKODA.

jono2707
11th May 2013, 04:00 PM
Don't understand why they aren't playing the game before the game at SKODA.

They might be a bit worried about the state of the ground post the Easter Show? Just a guess.....

Big Al
12th May 2013, 10:03 AM
Turned up to BISP for the ressies and found this. Will need to play in miner helmets.

Big Al
12th May 2013, 10:20 AM
Will be providing updates at twitter big_al_swans.

Disclaimer: Updates will neither be as accurate or as informative as Uggs so apologies in advance.

ugg
12th May 2013, 10:26 AM
Good chance to sneak onto the ground Al and no one would notice for a good 15 minutes

Dosser
12th May 2013, 01:17 PM
Good chance to sneak onto the ground Al and no one would notice for a good 15 minutes

That's what Jesse White does :) (sorry, couldnt resist)

12th May 2013, 03:39 PM
This isn't official until confirmed by Big Al so just FYI at this stage

Swans 19.13 127
Giants 11.12 78

Goals: Membrey 5, Morton 3, Everitt 3, Walsh 2, Mitchell, Robinson, Brown, Lloyd, Wray, Kilpatrick

ugg
12th May 2013, 05:36 PM
UWS Giants 2 1 13 5 5 35 10 8 68 11 12 78
Sydney Swans 5 3 33 9 7 61 15 12 102 19 13 127
UWS GIANTS
Goal Kickers: G. Ugle 3, S. Frost 2, C. Hampton 2, T. Downie 2, B. Thornton , N. Wilson
Best Players: M. Whiley, A. Miles, S. Schulz, T. Downie, G. Ugle, T. Golds
SYDNEY SWANS
Goal Kickers: T. Membrey 5, M. Morton 3, A. Everitt 3, T. Walsh 2, J. Lloyd , D. Robinson , T. Mitchell , S. Wray , L. Kilpatrick , A. Brown
Best Players: T. Walsh, A. Everitt, S. Biggs, T. Membrey, J. Lloyd, T. Mitchell

Aaron
12th May 2013, 06:34 PM
Who was our ruckman?

Melbourne_Blood
12th May 2013, 09:25 PM
Nice to see Membrey and Mitchell among the best

Big Al
13th May 2013, 07:59 AM
Just some rambling thoughts on what I saw yesterday.

Entertaining game with plenty of good ball movement and some tough clashes in tight. It was the polish up forward that proved the difference in the end and also the ability to manufacture a goal when the Giants made a run was telling.

Tom Mitchell - A class act in the 1st term. Laid a tonne of tackles and won the ball in tight and fed it out brilliantly to support. Was tagged in the 2nd qtr but he still managed work hard and contribute. Whether he's ready for a senior call up will rely more his conditioning than his ability.

Xavier Richards - Can clunk a mark this kid. On a few occasions he took clean contested marks which suggested to me he has a future.

Jake Lloyd - Terrific game played mainly as a running halfback. Got the slingshot going on a few occasions and rarely made any errors. Certainly the best game I've seen him play this year.

Tommy Walsh - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for Tommy. He looked every bit an accomplished footballer yesterday. Took some telling marks in the last line of defence and when he drifted forward he provided a decent target. His disposal efficiency would have been pretty high as I couldn't recall an errant kick all game.

Tim Membrey - Size, speed, great kick and tattoos. Sounds like a KP forward to me. Was dangerous everytime he went near the ball and his 5 goals were just reward for effort.

Mitch Morton - Played a midfield pushing forward type role. Won a bit of the ball in tight as well so he's certainly letting the coaches know his work rate is still up there. Not as dominant as I've seen him when he did go forward but still dangerous and it didn't surprise when he was named one of the best.

Brandon Jack - Seems quicker than his brother. Set up 2 goals by taking them on with his pace. He also used his pace to effect a couple of telling tackles in dangerous situations. One to watch.

Andrej Everitt - Typical game from Dre at this level. Got a lot of the ball and used it pretty well. Only issue with Dre is when he makes a clanger it's usually a beauty but like every week he works hard and was definitely one of the best.

Dean Towers - From my perspective he didn't get it a lot but when he did he seemed composed.

Alex Brown - Worked well with the back 6 and seems to be the general back there. Rarely beaten in the air or on the ground.

Matthew Dick - Played off halfback and was pretty impressed with his endeavor. Certainly not afraid to take the game on with his pace.

Honourable mention to the top up Brassil who effectively rucked the whole match. He would have slept well last night I would have thought.

Anyway,that's all I can remember at this stage.

dimelb
13th May 2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks Al, much appreciated.
It sounds as if Tom Mitchell ought to play with the big boys sooner rather than later. I don't expect him to make an immediate splash but he needs the best opposition for the team's sake.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Walsh take Jesse's place, but the club might leave him (Jesse) where he is a little longer.
And the sooner we can get Mitch back in the firsts the better. He has all the urgency that was lacking on Saturday night.
I can't help thinking about the way Hawthorn were forced, by a raft of injuries a couple of seasons back, to play youngsters who would otherwise have racked up time in the seconds. That seemed to work out OK.

royboy42
13th May 2013, 10:33 AM
Just some rambling thoughts on what I saw yesterday.

Entertaining game with plenty of good ball movement and some tough clashes in tight. It was the polish up forward that proved the difference in the end and also the ability to manufacture a goal when the Giants made a run was telling.

Tom Mitchell - A class act in the 1st term. Laid a tonne of tackles and won the ball in tight and fed it out brilliantly to support. Was tagged in the 2nd qtr but he still managed work hard and contribute. Whether he's ready for a senior call up will rely more his conditioning than his ability.

Xavier Richards - Can clunk a mark this kid. On a few occasions he took clean contested marks which suggested to me he has a future.

Jake Lloyd - Terrific game played mainly as a running halfback. Got the slingshot going on a few occasions and rarely made any errors. Certainly the best game I've seen him play this year.

Tommy Walsh - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for Tommy. He looked every bit an accomplished footballer yesterday. Took some telling marks in the last line of defence and when he drifted forward he provided a decent target. His disposal efficiency would have been pretty high as I couldn't recall an errant kick all game.

Tim Membrey - Size, speed, great kick and tattoos. Sounds like a KP forward to me. Was dangerous everytime he went near the ball and his 5 goals were just reward for effort.

Mitch Morton - Played a midfield pushing forward type role. Won a bit of the ball in tight as well so he's certainly letting the coaches know his work rate is still up there. Not as dominant as I've seen him when he did go forward but still dangerous and it didn't surprise when he was named one of the best.

Brandon Jack - Seems quicker than his brother. Set up 2 goals by taking them on with his pace. He also used his pace to effect a couple of telling tackles in dangerous situations. One to watch.

Andrej Everitt - Typical game from Dre at this level. Got a lot of the ball and used it pretty well. Only issue with Dre is when he makes a clanger it's usually a beauty but like every week he works hard and was definitely one of the best.

Dean Towers - From my perspective he didn't get it a lot but when he did he seemed composed.

Alex Brown - Worked well with the back 6 and seems to be the general back there. Rarely beaten in the air or on the ground.

Matthew Dick - Played off halfback and was pretty impressed with his endeavor. Certainly not afraid to take the game on with his pace.

Honourable mention to the top up Brassil who effectively rucked the whole match. He would have slept well last night I would have thought.

Anyway,that's all I can remember at this stage.

Pretty tough to asses Al,but how did T Mitchell run out the game. He had an interrupted pre season.
It seems from his play that his game is in order and his conditioning is what's holding him back.
Do U see that as an accurate assessment? Is his game ready for seniors?

Big Al
13th May 2013, 01:13 PM
Pretty tough to asses Al,but how did T Mitchell run out the game. He had an interrupted pre season.
It seems from his play that his game is in order and his conditioning is what's holding him back.
Do U see that as an accurate assessment? Is his game ready for seniors?

I've gotta say on 2 occasions in the last qtr he was praised from the bench for a couple of good pressure acts which suggests he's running out games better than he has been.

He most definitely has the smarts and skill level required to play senior footy right now but only the coaches can assess whether his fitness base is good enough for the rigours of AFL footy.

wolftone57
13th May 2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks once again Al. It seems young Biggs also played well again. He is becoming quite a link man down there in defense. Lloydy is a good kid and I agree with you about X, he is a wonderful mark, so strong, great judgement. I don't think it will be long until we see him in senior ranks. Maybe the end of the year for a sniff if there is an injury and they elevate him.

Yes BJ is faster than his brother. TM seems to be just a few weeks away from optimum match fitness and being on the elevation list. I am glad Tommy is playing well I liked him in defense the first time they tried him there, watch out Reg.

Thank you once again for braving the London like weather (fog) and getting out of bed at sparrows fart to bring us the match via twitter and then this report.