PDA

View Full Version : Goodes

ScottH
25th May 2013, 12:28 PM
Well stated Press conference.

Shows how such a simple word ("Ape" in this instance) can cut so deep to the right individuals.
A 13 YO girl just learnt an invaluable lesson. Learn to Shut you mouth.

Time to stop the abuse from over the fence.

Not a good way to start the indigenous round, or finish a fantastic win, but hopefully it will lead to changes.

mcs
25th May 2013, 12:33 PM
Goodes is all class. He has received more than his fair share of abuse over the years (usually not racial in nature), often from fans of other clubs that are nothing but envious and jealous of his talents (i.e. they wouldn't dream of doing it to him if he played for their team), but time and time again he has shown just what a wonderful person he is, and a brilliant representative of himself, his club, and his people.

Allymay
25th May 2013, 01:08 PM
Having copped racial abuse myself over the years, I don't think I would have been as classy as Adam was today and more respect to him.

You have to wonder where the supervision was of this young lass. Her words come from learned behaviour. Who did she learn from one wonders....

Panttz
25th May 2013, 01:19 PM
from fans of other clubs that are nothing but envious and jealous of his talents (i.e. they wouldn't dream of doing it to him if he played for their team)

Ahhhh yes. I remember a few times in the last few years where we have played at Kardinia Park in Geelong where whenever he touched the ball there was always a few gents who would call out "3 Brownlow votes!" or my favorite "Protected species!"

The Geelong people are such interesting individuals haha

CJK
25th May 2013, 01:46 PM
Planet Of The Apes avatar and signature retired out of respect.

southsideswan
25th May 2013, 02:04 PM
Goodes is a class act as a human being. Everything he did yesterday and today just underlined that.

There is comments that this incident was bad timing. For me it was great timing. We often talk about things saying "yeah yeah everything is fine". This was an example of what is wrong, what is bad and unacceptable. It will help so much more then just having a special round or a parade of people.

He was able to articulate how hurtful comments can be.

Primmy
25th May 2013, 02:05 PM
Planet Of The Apes avatar and signature retired out of respect.Well done CJK, class act and I acknowledge your reasoning.

Burra
25th May 2013, 02:24 PM
Very impressive press conference by Adam. Eloquent, passionate, insightful - in stark contrast to Andrew Demetriou who I thought really didn't know what to say and just basically parroted Goodsey. Surprising because that's his job and he's paid huge bucks to do it.

aardvark
25th May 2013, 02:33 PM
Reported on 744 melbourne that the child has rung Adam and apologised. I hope that's the end of it.

Primmy
25th May 2013, 02:39 PM
I strongly suspect we may have all learned a lesson. I for one will be a bit more careful with the words I use to describe umpires.

RogueSwan
25th May 2013, 02:39 PM
I hope that's the end of it.
Yes, for her sake. Hopefully the issue is followed up but the incident is closed.
What I don't understand is why was the girl walked out alone? If you we're at the game with your daughter and she was removed, wouldn't you go with her? Especially seeing as your team had lost and was just playing for the siren.

goswannie14
26th May 2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, for her sake. Hopefully the issue is followed up but the incident is closed.
What I don't understand is why was the girl walked out alone? If you we're at the game with your daughter and she was removed, wouldn't you go with her? Especially seeing as your team had lost and was just playing for the siren.Yep, thought exactly the same thing.

poundpuppy
26th May 2013, 05:17 PM
I read that her grandmother went to the game with her not the mother and she said security told her she had to stay in her seat.

ScottH
26th May 2013, 05:21 PM
I read that her grandmother went to the game with her not the mother and she said security told her she had to stay in her seat.

Which is ridiculous.
Given she was a a child. I would have insisted i went with her. Even if she was not a relative.

dimelb
26th May 2013, 06:55 PM

Silly isn't it - what's to stop her saying,"No, I've had enough. I'm leaving like the hundreds of others"?

Bexl
26th May 2013, 08:05 PM
I was sitting 8 rows behind them and at the time I said to the person next to me that she is only young, 16 at the most, give her a warning and some education and that should be enough.
I did think it was strange that an adult did not go with her as it was plain she is a minor but now I read that mcg security told her adult relative to stay in her seat.
This treatment of a child is a more serious issue to me than the original issue. I hope this is looked into and is fixed.

Meg
26th May 2013, 08:21 PM
I think it has been an extraordinary AFL Indigenous Round w/e. Fri night saw Adam Goodes play as well as he did in his Brownlow Medal years to absolutely dominate the match as best on ground. As we all know sadly this was followed by awful racist abuse which has unfortunately dominated reporting of the Swans' match ever since. The Hawks got a real scare from the GC Suns but Buddy Franklin was one of the Hawk stars that got them home in the second half. I watched the Essendon/Richmond match last night - the so-called Dreamtime Match and they had a really moving Aboriginal ceremony/celebration before the match. The best 'Welcome to Country' introduction I have ever seen. Also Richmond wore a beautiful guernsey with a black Aboriginal motif snaking down their usual yellow diagonal slash. And I just watched the Crows v Nth Melb match. Lindsay Thomas starred for North and North were up by 30 points half way through the last quarter only for the Crows to come storming home in an amazing finish to win by one point. And the Crows' player who kicked the winning goal in the last minute of the game? Jared Petrenko, an indigenous player.

Hard not to think this was a very special w/e for indigenous players.

ScottH
26th May 2013, 09:01 PM
I think it has been an extraordinary AFL Indigenous Round w/e. Fri night saw Adam Goodes play as well as he did in his Brownlow Medal years to absolutely dominate the match as best on ground. As we all know sadly this was followed by awful racist abuse which has unfortunately dominated reporting of the Swans' match ever since. The Hawks got a real scare from the GC Suns but Buddy Franklin was one of the Hawk stars that got them home in the second half. I watched the Essendon/Richmond match last night - the so-called Dreamtime Match and they had a really moving Aboriginal ceremony/celebration before the match. The best 'Welcome to Country' introduction I have ever seen. Also Richmond wore a beautiful guernsey with a black Aboriginal motif snaking down their usual yellow diagonal slash. And I just watched the Crows v Nth Melb match. Lindsay Thomas starred for North and North were up by 30 points half way through the last quarter only for the Crows to come storming home in an amazing finish to win by one point. And the Crows' player who kicked the winning goal in the last minute of the game? Jared Petrenko, an indigenous player.

Hard not to think this was a very special w/e for indigenous players.

Yes. Besides a silly girl it was a great w/e of footy and the indigenous!!

poundpuppy
26th May 2013, 09:19 PM
This treatment of a child is a more serious issue to me than the original issue. I hope this is looked into and is fixed.

The mother also claimed the girl was interviewed by police for over 2 hours but I would assume that was with an appropriate adult present. She is looking for an explanation now and I can't say I blame her ... seems a bit over the top.

Which is ridiculous.
Given she was a a child. I would have insisted i went with her. Even if she was not a relative.

Grandmother said she she was so shocked at what was happening she didn't know what to do. And some older people can be a bit intimidated by authority figures and may not want to challenge them.

Meg
26th May 2013, 10:09 PM
Yes. Besides a silly girl it was a great w/e of footy and the indigenous!!

And my Port Power supporting sister in Adelaide tells me that Chad Wingard was their best player in what was otherwise a rather sad loss.

billyboob
26th May 2013, 10:46 PM
And some people can be a bit intimidated by authority figures and may not want to challenge them.

Fixed it for you.

DamY
26th May 2013, 11:00 PM
And my Port Power supporting sister in Adelaide tells me that Chad Wingard was their best player in what was otherwise a rather sad loss.

He's got superstar written all over him.

Triple B
27th May 2013, 11:32 AM
I strongly suspect we may have all learned a lesson. I for one will be a bit more careful with the words I use to describe umpires.

Agree Prim, it's only a matter of time before a group of maggots speak out about being constantly associated with umpires and who could blame them....

goswannie14
27th May 2013, 11:37 AM
Agree Prim, it's only a matter of time before a group of maggots speak out about being constantly associated with umpires and who could blame them....:adore

mcs
27th May 2013, 03:56 PM
There is always one idiot in the press that will sell out for a headline, and quite often it is Andrew Bolt:

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/girl-13-was-rude-but-shes-not-the-bully/story-fni0ffxg-1226650913020)

Whilst there are people like him still in the press, there will still be people out there that think its 'ok' to say things like what was said on Friday night.

But then again, he has history in this area, so I shouldn't be suprised.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-28/bolt-found-guilty-of-breaching-discrimination-act/3025918

dimelb
27th May 2013, 04:14 PM
Full time professional jackass.
What can one expect from Rupert's Rags?

ShockOfHair
27th May 2013, 10:25 PM
Good old Bolty. Year in year out, when the Brownlow for 'Australia's Most Stupid' is handed out, he's in with a chance.

Xie Shan
28th May 2013, 12:20 AM
Serious question... if you saw or heard any instances of racial abuse at the footy, would you speak up? I've thought about it, and while normally I'm the low key type who wouldn't rock the boat, I think it's important that we set a boundary of what's right and wrong. Thoughts?

ScottH
28th May 2013, 08:17 AM
Serious question... if you saw or heard any instances of racial abuse at the footy, would you speak up? I've thought about it, and while normally I'm the low key type who wouldn't rock the boat, I think it's important that we set a boundary of what's right and wrong. Thoughts?

Personally, I don't like to see people hang over the fence and hurl any sort of abuse at players.
This needs to be stopped.

As for racial abuse. I would like to think I would, but it all depends on the situation. You don't want to put yourself in a vulnerable situation.
Most venues have a Text line where you can SMS them about anti social behaviour.

I took my father-in-law to the VFL GF at Etihad a few years ago.
He said quite loudly to me that their were a lot of Indigenous people(replaced this with the 3 letter, 4 for plural, abbreviation commonly used to describe them) around. After quickly looking around to see if anyone had heard, I said you can't say that. "Why Not?" was the reply. sheesh.
He did a similar thing last year in Harrods, which is owned by Arabs, about the young girls wearing head scarves shopping there.
My wife and I casually stepped away. Some people will never learn.

Primmy
28th May 2013, 10:19 AM
Serious question... if you saw or heard any instances of racial abuse at the footy, would you speak up? I've thought about it, and while normally I'm the low key type who wouldn't rock the boat, I think it's important that we set a boundary of what's right and wrong. Thoughts?I have turned around and given a few knife edged comments in the past which shocked most around me; no applause but the more racial abuse settled. Nowadays I could probably just say "What would Adam think of you?" if its our mob, and "not acceptable" if its their mob. And get the men in charge if it was truly awful.

I have also called Richo a sook, Lloyd Precious and James Hird a Precious Poppet. Not sure anymore what constitutes abuse. Can I keep calling Ballentyne a little twerp? or the umps maggotty bastards? Probably not. Probably do my blood pressure a favour anyway.

This whole thing keeps ticking over in my mind - where do I stand, where have I stood, what am I going to do in the future. Not a bad thing.

Dosser
28th May 2013, 10:55 AM
I have turned around and given a few knife edged comments in the past which shocked most around me; no applause but the more racial abuse settled. Nowadays I could probably just say "What would Adam think of you?" if its our mob, and "not acceptable" if its their mob. And get the men in charge if it was truly awful.

I have also called Richo a sook, Lloyd Precious and James Hird a Precious Poppet. Not sure anymore what constitutes abuse. Can I keep calling Ballentyne a little twerp? or the umps maggotty bastards? Probably not. Probably do my blood pressure a favour anyway.

This whole thing keeps ticking over in my mind - where do I stand, where have I stood, what am I going to do in the future. Not a bad thing.

Probably cant call them 'white maggots' now they wear fluoro anyway.

Melbournehammer
28th May 2013, 11:05 AM
I consider myself to be fairly critical of adam on the field - i often feel that he tries to do the hardest thing when sometimes the easiest would work just as well. But ever since the first time I saw him in a reserves match against footscray in 1997/8 (?) at waverley park (a game which we lost in the firsts by less than a goal as i recollect) I have thought this guy looks pretty special. Over the years his ability has astounded me so much so that he has played some of the best individual games i have ever seen - often against collingwood in losing games mind you - but it has been what he has been prepared to offer to the indigenous players that has often caught my eye. Quite often he will do a sneaky fist bump with the indigenous players on the other teams before or during games which emphasised how much he saw himself as a leader and role model. That generally made me proud - football is a game when all is said and done and society has much bigger fish to fry. And i was so pleased to see that he was part of that.

I am proud of what he has done and that maybe people will actually recognise it.

I think andrew bolt is a right wing nutcase and most of those who comment on his blog likewise. History is against them. I think those who have been critical of adam are people whose minds are closed to things - but i still feel that education is what changes things and improves things. if anyone has read "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby they will realise that there is still work to do - but that crowds are getting educated - He has a great section on the slow demise of racism in English football, at least insofar as the culture at Highbury and Arsenal is concerned.

On the other hand the whole event hasn't given me much to worry about though at a personal level. I almost never comment on the opposition. I almost always only direct comments towards our team like you've got to go mal, or oh goodesy or great spoil smithy. I don't even really notice the opposition, other than a who the hell is supposed to be playing on xx.

Umpires on the other hand I would regularly yell "umpire both sides" or the same rules apply to both sides.

I can't really see the point of abusing anyone - although i came pretty close to giving it to stevic at last years gf.

Swansongster
28th May 2013, 12:00 PM

I too would like to think I could stand up to racial abusers. Particularly when with the family. I think this incident with Goodes will change a lot of attitudes (footy is a powerful tool for social change). I can imagine most of a crowd standing side-by-side (pardon the Pies association) to silence any minority voices sitting nearby.

magic.merkin
28th May 2013, 12:12 PM
I myself and Dad got into it with a family of carlton knobs that kept calling him a monkey at one game. He looks like one, it's not racist. I said fair enough, but know what you are saying won't be taken as what you meant (explained they were considered sub human etc). But we are italian, how can we be racist. At this stage i stopped wasting my breath. They were clearly wasting enough oxygen.....

dimelb
28th May 2013, 12:21 PM
Funny story from our League-watching days.
Older son was about 16 and, after a stellar career in the under-12s and 13s, had moved into refereeing. He had the grand final of the (I think) under 8s at Leichhardt Oval. By that stage we weren't going to watch the players, we were watching the ref. A couple of blokes sat behind us as the little kids came on and one said, "Oh no, we've got that bloke in the glasses!"
Mrs d turned around and said, "That's my son refereeing and we're very proud of him." I shrank inwardly but got ready to speak up if necessary. It became the funniest football match I ever attended. Every couple of minutes we would hear "Oh ... (splutter)" from behind, then silence. We had to attend to the game to suppress our laughing. After the game Mrs d turned around and said, "Thank you for not rubbishing him." Friendly nods all round. Older son started wearing contacts.
On a more serious note, I've already told here about our younger son and friend objecting to parents of kids yelling gay slurs and saying they'd call security if it didn't stop. It did.

Big Al
28th May 2013, 01:28 PM
The only issue I have had with anyone at the footy is with the good looking bloke looking back at me from the mirror. He can be an absolute ratbag and admits he needs to tone it down a bit. Usually the Umpires bear the brunt of his temper tantrums but sometime it might be a player that cops it. Or in the case of the Freo capitulation, the whole bloody team.

barry
28th May 2013, 01:39 PM
I actually like abuse at the footy. We can cut out the racial and homophobic stuff, but no reason to not give everything else to the players.
Doesnt have to be factual, helps if its funny.

I expect plenty of drug references to be targetted at the bombers this weekend.

hot potato
28th May 2013, 02:15 PM
I dearly want the Swans to win, but am interested to watch the amazing skills of all players on the ground. But unfair play and vilification on and off the ground is extremely disturbing .
Capturing the Pies member on the IPhone was pretty effective and avoided a possible ugly scene.
Open Mike was fantastic last night with Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam... One of them , Nicky I think was vilified by Dermot Brereton in a game (since admitted by DB) , Nicky was upset, responded physically and got 10 weeks.
Don't miss it, if you get a chance.
HP

ShockOfHair
28th May 2013, 02:50 PM
I actually like abuse at the footy. We can cut out the racial and homophobic stuff, but no reason to not give everything else to the players.
Doesnt have to be factual, helps if its funny.

I reckon the rule is as long it's to do with the footy, it's cool. There's a difference between mocking a player because he's on the other team and hurling personal abuse. I've been amazed at some of the things people have been saying about the Goodes incident, as though racial abuse is part of the game.

ShockOfHair
28th May 2013, 02:53 PM
I dearly want the Swans to win, but am interested to watch the amazing skills of all players on the ground. But unfair play and vilification on and off the ground is extremely disturbing .
Capturing the Pies member on the IPhone was pretty effective and avoided a possible ugly scene.
Open Mike was fantastic last night with Nicky Winmar and Gilbert McAdam... One of them , Nicky I think was vilified by Dermot Brereton in a game (since admitted by DB) , Nicky was upset, responded physically and got 10 weeks.
Don't miss it, if you get a chance.
HP

That would be the same Dermot Brereton who passed judgement on Adam Goodes' character.

Dosser
28th May 2013, 02:58 PM
That would be the same Dermot Brereton who passed judgement on Adam Goodes' character.

And who stomped on someone's head. After that, a simple kicking in danger isnt so bad.

ScottH
28th May 2013, 04:30 PM
I reckon the rule is as long it's to do with the footy, it's cool. There's a difference between mocking a player because he's on the other team and hurling personal abuse. Especially when it is by a Tigers fan mocking his own team. Then it's hilarious.

rojo
28th May 2013, 05:49 PM
I went to the Herald Sun site and read the Andrew Bolt article. All the blogs underneath emphatically support his view so I wrote one with a different point of view and surprise surprise, so far it hasn't been published. Interesting!

ernie koala
28th May 2013, 05:51 PM

I assume you mean the Essendon 'Guinea Pigs'.....or were you referring to the Essendon 'Pin Cushions'

aardvark
28th May 2013, 06:09 PM
I copped a sneak peek at the Bombers forward line for Saturday night,

FF. Ben Johnson, Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones.
HF. Ben Cousins, Alberto Contador, Diego Maradonna.

I think Marion as the first female to play AFL should star in the forward pocket, Smoocher better keep his mind on the job!

Triple B
28th May 2013, 06:32 PM

I think Marion as the first female to play AFL should star in the forward pocket, Smoocher better keep his mind on the job!

I guess both Cousins and Maradona will play as high half forwards ??

Bloodthirsty
28th May 2013, 06:47 PM

Classic.

dimelb
28th May 2013, 07:01 PM

:D

Bloodthirsty
28th May 2013, 07:09 PM

They won't trouble the defenders cos they're clustered around the edge of the ground. They misunderstand what boundary line means.

ScottH
28th May 2013, 08:19 PM

She,ll be bedazzled by smooch's bachelor of the year pout.

crackedactor
28th May 2013, 09:22 PM

I think Marion as the first female to play AFL should star in the forward pocket, Smoocher better keep his mind on the job!You mean Hulk Hogan has been dropped for this week's game to give Marion a shot(pardon the pun!)

Xie Shan
28th May 2013, 10:52 PM
Some very interesting responses here! I am pretty quiet at games, I tend to internalise stuff more, but I think there is a line between barracking and abuse. The former is fine and can even be entertaining at times, it's not like we're going to the symphony or to the library. As for the latter, well, I guess a rule of thumb would be only dish out what you could take yourself. I agree with ShockOfHair, if you must, keep it footy related.

RogueSwan
28th May 2013, 11:48 PM

:clap: I see what you did there.

RogueSwan
28th May 2013, 11:50 PM
I don't (think I) yell out abuse. I am normally to busy directing the team around and yelling out BAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! at every little opportunity.:smile:

Adelaide Swan
29th May 2013, 01:28 PM
Goodes' critics way off mark (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goodes-critics-way-off-mark-20130527-2n7kr.html)

Brilliant article by Greg Baum of The Age.

aardvark
29th May 2013, 01:35 PM
Anyone else find it ironic that arguably the best footballer ever to play for this club was nicknamed "The Chimp"?

Industrial Fan
31st May 2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure if this has been posted here already, but enjoyable read from a neutral fan.

Goodes rises above the pack (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/goodes-rises-above-the-pack-20130530-2ncmi.html)

dimelb
31st May 2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks Industrial Fan - excellent article.

stellation
31st May 2013, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure I'd call Rhys a neutral fan. ;)

Industrial Fan
31st May 2013, 11:10 AM
He's a saints fan?

DeadlyAkkuret
31st May 2013, 11:15 AM
Which means he probably doesn't care much for Collingwood.

stellation
31st May 2013, 11:15 AM
He's a saints fan?

I believe so, but the Swans seem a pretty close second/if not equal. I think it's just so he can colour co-ordinate on game days with a limited wardrobe.

ugg
31st May 2013, 11:35 AM
I believe he is mates with a few players, of the older variety.

Meg
31st May 2013, 01:18 PM
He's a saints fan?

I believe so, but the Swans seem a pretty close second/if not equal.

I've heard Rhys describe Saints as his 'wife' (the one he loves and will always stay with) and the Swans as his 'mistress' (the one that gives him some pleasures that his wife can't provide). Probably not PC but I laughed!

Primmy
31st May 2013, 04:37 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here already, but enjoyable read from a neutral fan.

Goodes rises above the pack (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/goodes-rises-above-the-pack-20130530-2ncmi.html)Thanks Indi, had not seen it. Needed that. Its been a tough read in redandwhite today.

jono2707
31st May 2013, 05:39 PM

Goodes rises above the pack (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/goodes-rises-above-the-pack-20130530-2ncmi.html)

That's a great article - thanks for posting.

Very thought provoking and interesting reading. Well, until you get to the comments at the bottom anyway and see how far we still have to come...