PDA

View Full Version : Mumford reportedly out a month with cracked cheekbone.

troyjones2525
10th June 2013, 12:27 AM
Looks like big Kurt may be doing some ruck work! or will Jesse get another game!

longmile
10th June 2013, 12:34 AM
Lucky we have depth ... we're going through so many injuries

Bloodthirsty
10th June 2013, 12:40 AM
At least with this injury Mummy can stay fit and up with skill training.

ShockOfHair
10th June 2013, 12:53 AM
That's three weeks in a row we've lost a tall. I guess it spares Longmire from the proverbial 'pleasant headache' against Port.

liz
10th June 2013, 12:54 AM
I presume this happened in the clash with Petrenko, which caused damage to Petrenko's shoulder. Has anyone actually seen any footage of the clash? On the footage I've seen it just shows Petrenko moving out of frame before the collision. It certainly seemed to be at the instigation of Petrenko and if Mummy has a cracked cheekbone, there must have been some reasonably forceful high contact.

swanspant12
10th June 2013, 01:31 AM
Petrenko that silly goose. I loved it how he came off second best and the little @@@@@@ was on the bench struggling. We're gonna miss Mummy, as I've said previously, with him out as the number 1 ruckman we struggle around the contests. Worried about his contract status aswell.

rojo
10th June 2013, 02:11 AM
Mummy must have chased a black cat under a ladder or something if it is true. He just gets to play a few games and starts to find a bit of form and then goes down again with a different injury. He had a tough and frustrating season last year (apart from playing in a premiership team!) and now this. At his best he is a great asset to our team, how much so we tend to forget because it is so long since we have seen him at his best. Maybe he could play on with a helmet or face guard on!

He is only 26 (I think) so we really, really need to keep him. If Mal can bounce back after three knee reconstructions, Mummy can surely bounce back to his best eventually!

Ludwig
10th June 2013, 02:47 AM
I presume this happened in the clash with Petrenko, which caused damage to Petrenko's shoulder. Has anyone actually seen any footage of the clash? On the footage I've seen it just shows Petrenko moving out of frame before the collision. It certainly seemed to be at the instigation of Petrenko and if Mummy has a cracked cheekbone, there must have been some reasonably forceful high contact.

I took another look at the video and it seems that Petrenko's shoulder went into Mummy's chest but his head slammed into Mummy's face as well, which seems to have caused the damage.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that we are losing a tall player every week these days. It's not great, but not a total disaster.

With Mummy out for a couple of games it gives White a real opportunity to back up his performance against the Crows. I doubt if he will be dropped even if Tippett comes in. There has to be some doubt about Tippett's game fitness and would expect that White will be the backup Ruckman, at least until Tippett finds his feet as a forward.

I had all but given up hope with Jesse, but he looked pretty good out there on Saturday. If we could feel confident that Jesse has turned the corner, we may be willing to let Mummy go if we can't reach an agreement on a new contract. He would be quite valuable on the trade market. But this is all contingent on Jesse continuing on from his good work over the weekend.

Mummy had a good game against Essendon, and was probably a bit down on Saturday due to his cheekbone fracture, but nonetheless has looked a bit stiff for quite a long time. I don't think things are quite right with his back and he seems to be injury prone as well. Mummy at his best is a terrific ruckman, but it's not that often that we see Mummy at his best these days. You would have to think he's a bit of a risk going into the future.

For all of Jesse's shortcomings he's rarely been injured, and if he can put it all together can be quite a formidable KPP ruckman.

I am looking forward to seeing how things pan out over the next few weeks. One think I don't want to see is another injury, especially to one of our KPPs.

Jeynez
10th June 2013, 03:17 AM
Gah, such a pity too, he has looked fitter and fitter each round and finding form!

I imagine White would share the ruck duties with Pyke, while Tippett plays predominately forward and builds up his match fitness!

ernie koala
10th June 2013, 08:49 AM

Petrenko left the ground leading with his shoulder. His shoulder hit Mummy in the chest/ arm area.

On impact he got a sort of sideways whip lash, and his head cannoned onto Mummy's face.

Mummy was filthy about the incident and can be seen cursing him out.

He continued cursing, when they went off at the next break, as he explained to a teammate what had happened.

dimelb
10th June 2013, 09:02 AM
It's been picked up by the tribunal. "Crow blow to be scrutinised" - in The Age print edition, not yet online.

Jeffers1984
10th June 2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-recruit-kurt-tippett-is-set-to-come-straight-into-the-side-against-port-adelaide/story-fndv8ujy-1226660923134

Ruck'n'Roll
10th June 2013, 09:30 AM
1) As ShockOfHair notes it will simplify team selections next week, but it may also delay the process of seeing whether we can/will play Mummy, Pyke and Kurt in the one team,

2) As Bloodthirsty notes, Mummy will be able to keep up his skills work (also his aerobic fitness). I also think a midseason break (no pun intended) will be good for a ruck man whose game is based on being a human bulldozer. Freshen him up for the finals.

3) I too am
Worried about his contract status aswell. He is one of the last big names who have a contract that expires at the end of this season, and he would be a prime target for some other clubs. Remember he left the chattery because he couldn't be guaranteed a game, if we can't get Mummy, Pyke and Kurt in the one team it may make him consider his options again.

4) After that terrible moustache/sideburns look he adopted earlier this year, I fear he could well decide that LRT's grotesque cheek guard helmet might look good on him. SHUDDER!!!

ugg
10th June 2013, 09:52 AM
If you look closely I believe you can see a depression on Mumford's left cheek after the incident. Ouch

Dosser
10th June 2013, 10:41 AM
Ironically, if he had left those horrendous sideburns on, then they would have served as airbags and cushioned the blow...

ScottH
10th June 2013, 10:43 AM
It's been picked up by the tribunal. "Crow blow to be scrutinised" - in The Age print edition, not yet online.

There now.

Petrenko report could add to Crows woes (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/petrenko-report-could-add-to-crows-woes-20130610-2nyv9.html)

wolftone57
10th June 2013, 10:56 AM
Looks like big Kurt may be doing some ruck work! or will Jesse get another game!

Both. Jesse to retain his place and Kurt comes in for Mummy. Jesse plays FF & Kurt in the pocket. I tell you what this is going to be one sensational forward line.

F Mitch/ROK/Joey Jesse Kurt/Pykie

HF Benny/Lukie/Hannas Sam Jude/Tommy/Kizza

The double & tripple ups are players resting in forward line. Very potent indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Petrenko just went straight at him. Like a rat hitting an elephant really. Always knew who was going to get the worst of the body blow. But unfortunately Mummy got hit in the face. After the incident you can see Mummy saying the 'F' word. He knows something is wrong immediately and he soldiers on. He is pretty angry though as seen in his attitude after. He hits the packs even harder than he did before. He was coming back to best form too.

liz
10th June 2013, 10:59 AM
There now.

Petrenko report could add to Crows woes (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/petrenko-report-could-add-to-crows-woes-20130610-2nyv9.html)

LOL at the no realistic way to avoid the collision. It looks like he made a beeline for Mumford. However, he may get off on the basis he couldn't have foreseen the high contact, following the head clash 'precedent' set by the Lindsay Thomas case earlier this season (and a Ben McGlynn one from last season).

liz
10th June 2013, 11:01 AM
He was coming back to best form too.

Agree with that. His work rate has been sensational in the last couple of matches, both times sprinting the length of the ground to provide an option up forward (and both times being ignored!)

wolftone57
10th June 2013, 11:14 AM
Petrenko that silly goose. I loved it how he came off second best and the little @@@@@@ was on the bench struggling. We're gonna miss Mummy, as I've said previously, with him out as the number 1 ruckman we struggle around the contests. Worried about his contract status aswell.

When Tippett comes in there is less chance of struggling around the contests. He is pretty good in the ruck and will have had plenty of training under Steve Taubert. I am worried about Mummy's contract as well. We got Jetts but we need mummy to sign. I think he will because he had just started to shake off his injuries before getting hit in the face by that twerp Petrenko and was playing really well on Saturday. I'd say the deal might just about be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with that. His work rate has been sensational in the last couple of matches, both times sprinting the length of the ground to provide an option up forward (and both times being ignored!)

A bit worried about him being ignored like that. On both occasions the options taken were the worst possible and he was free in the corridor. More respect for Mummy please chaps.

mcs
10th June 2013, 12:13 PM
Both. Jesse to retain his place and Kurt comes in for Mummy. Jesse plays FF & Kurt in the pocket. I tell you what this is going to be one sensational forward line.

F Mitch/ROK/Joey Jesse Kurt/Pykie

HF Benny/Lukie/Hannas Sam Jude/Tommy/Kizza

The double & tripple ups are players resting in forward line. Very potent indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Petrenko just went straight at him. Like a rat hitting an elephant really. Always knew who was going to get the worst of the body blow. But unfortunately Mummy got hit in the face. After the incident you can see Mummy saying the 'F' word. He knows something is wrong immediately and he soldiers on. He is pretty angry though as seen in his attitude after. He hits the packs even harder than he did before. He was coming back to best form too.

If we can get everyone fit and firing, then its going to be an immense battle for spots up forward, and an immense battle for other teams to control them all. Just think - you keep Tippett under control, will give more room to Sammy or Goodesy or Pykie or Mummy when he returns, or one of the smaller midfielders resting gets space. We have the troops, if we can get them all fit, to make our forward line just like our midfield - i.e. you can do your best but you won't control them all.

Exciting times indeed to be a Swans fan - we can all smell the chance to do what we just missed out on in 2006. A loooonnng way to go yet though!

Melbournehammer
10th June 2013, 12:23 PM
i think there is a very long way to go yet. the freo result and in face much of the game showed there are some pretty good teams out there. i think we have belted two teams which are around the 5-12 area, and we did beat essendon well but had they got the next goal at 83-64 we may have been under serious pressure. and they had a very very good forward fifty entry to a one on one which would have brought it back to 13 points.

hawthorn and geelong belted us.

the end of the home and away season could be very interesting for us and a few other clubs.

liz
10th June 2013, 12:52 PM
In 2004 (I think it was that year) the Saints were flying this time of year. In 2005-6 the Crows looked unstoppable. This time last year pundits reckoned that the premiership was the Pies' to lose. And in 2008, the Cats managed to retain top form for the whole season - until the last game of the year.

There is a long long way to go. What we have learned thus far is that, after a slightly sluggish start to the year, there is no evidence of a hangover. The likes of Jack, Hanners, Macca and friends look super fit and as hungry for success as last year. They probably have even more confidence in their ability to match it with the best than this time last year.

Our depth has proven to be better thus far than I thought it was, especially after losing the likes of TDL and Spangher in the offseason, and Johnson in the pre-season. Everitt, in particular, seems to have finally found a role in the side. The ongoing improvement in Parker and the emphatic start to his career by Mitchell have given us ridiculous depth in the midfield, to the extent we have the luxury of playing McVeigh in defence. And young Lamb must be seething in the reserves, just dying to get a real chance to show he can contribute too.

At the start of the year, I thought there were seven teams capable of challenging for the flag - last year's top seven - with Essendon, Carlton and North looming as slightly unknown quantities, and Richmond to possibly be nuisance value as their best is very good (they're just so inconsistent).

I hope I am not calling it too early, but the genuine challengers seem to be down to the current top 4. The Pies have had their injury woes, and will be better when /if Beams returns, but they seem to have some real structural issues in the ruck, up forward and with their midfield workrate. The Eagles look very ordinary and their ladder position is flattering them when you look at who they've beaten (and how they've beaten a couple of them). Essendon have played some good footy but I don't think they can sustain their best for the whole year, while Carlton have looked pretty ordinary except when beating up on minnows.

The top four, however, look very very good. Our form against North, Adelaide etc tells us next to nothing about our chances of beating Freo, Geelong and Hawthorn when it counts. But the Swans know this. Longmire's message all last year was "we need to keep getting better" and he's been essentially saying the same thing in each press conference this year too. I don't think the Swans are under any illusion of what it will take, but I also think they are quietly confident they are up to the task.

dimelb
10th June 2013, 01:03 PM
Rohan Connolly agrees with you Liz:

Only four can fly the flag (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/only-four-can-fly-the-flag-20130609-2nya9.html)

annew
10th June 2013, 02:12 PM
There now.

Doesn't look like it was even looked at as no mention on AFL website on tribunal results

Triple B
10th June 2013, 02:54 PM
Yep, not even assessed. He would have got away with it ala Thomas' 'accidental head clash' on Ben Reid, but a joke all the same that you can initiate contact with somebody and cause facial fractures and not even get a please explain...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-10/mrp-full-statement-round-11

stellation
10th June 2013, 02:58 PM
Didn't Mummy get a few weeks for the tackle on GAJ years ago based on the result of the result impact, and they acknowledged it was not the initial action but the resultant action (whiplash) that caused the severity?

DeadlyAkkuret
10th June 2013, 03:18 PM
It'd be nice to go one week without an injury. Out depth is good, but damn.

Big Al
11th June 2013, 07:03 AM
I blame Paul Gallen.

ernie koala
11th June 2013, 09:27 AM
Yep, not even assessed. He would have got away with it ala Thomas' 'accidental head clash' on Ben Reid, but a joke all the same that you can initiate contact with somebody and cause facial fractures and not even get a please explain...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-10/mrp-full-statement-round-11

You can add to that...He ran past the ball, which he had offloaded to a team mate, lined up Mummy, left the ground, and cannoned into him causing high contact with high impact...??

...At least the footy gods administered their own justice on him.