PDA

View Full Version : Sydney v Port

hot potato
17th June 2013, 06:32 PM
Port went OK on the weekend against GWS, they beat Sydney by 30 PTs in a pre-season game, Swans have had their bye, TIP to debut, will receive lots of attention and will be rusty as, is this a danger game for Sydney ?

Industrial Fan
17th June 2013, 06:33 PM
No. Swans by plenty.

wolftone57
17th June 2013, 06:56 PM
I don't think Port yet have the maturity against the top sides. Their youth shows up against quality opposition and even if they give a real ding dong go they run out of legs. Port beat Adelaide and West Coast both in April in close ones. Both of those sides have proven to be not much chop this year and West Coast were almost looking to import players from the WAFL just to make up the numbers they had so many out. Since then Port have been tested by North, Richmond, Carlton, Geelong & Bullies and have found wanting when it came to hard pressure football.

Port are definitely an improving side but I can't see them getting up over us at this stage, not that this is not a danger game. We have to treat them with respect and play the way we play against the hardest sides, like the Hawks.

swansrob
17th June 2013, 07:24 PM
Port have beaten Melbourne, GWS (twice), Gold Coast, Adelaide and West Coast - the latter two have underperformed this year based on pre-season predictions. They've played on contender (Geelong) and they were smacked. Port also lost to the Dogs a couple of weeks ago. This is not a danger game for us. If we don't win comfortably, we should be ashamed. Port have improved on last year, but they're not quite ready to match it with the big boys.

GordonS
17th June 2013, 07:32 PM
should be fine. but still need to take it seriously and keep up the form we've shown in the last 3 weeks.

ShockOfHair
17th June 2013, 08:35 PM
Is our winning streak against Port our longest?

Ludwig
17th June 2013, 08:53 PM
The Swannies should be keen to see how they perform with Tippo in the lineup. I'm sure PA will put in a good effort, but this is a big step up for them. If we even come close to losing this board will be alight.

rojo
17th June 2013, 11:10 PM
If there was a concern that they might not take this game seriously enough, the pressure for spots in the team and competition between the mids to rack up the possessions and also stay ahead of Tommy Mitchell, should keep most of the team pretty focussed.

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2013, 11:25 PM
1/2 to 3/4 game for "The TiP"

i ill give you the tip he will run out the game like Phar Lap !

rojo
17th June 2013, 11:31 PM
What are we going to do with Lambie?? We so need to see him get some senior games to find out what he has got to offer at this level. He is so keen and confident and from form in the 2's you would think ready but with Mitchell now fit and firing his chances seem remote. Perhaps if Jets is not quite ready he could be given another game as sub v Port - but Jets is expected to play.

Auntie.Gerald
17th June 2013, 11:34 PM
Lambie is more 2014 i think for Seniors given the rise of Rampe and Tom and given MMorton is back !

unless injuries strike

Ludwig
18th June 2013, 12:48 AM
We should give Lamb 2 full games vs Melbourne followed by GWS and see how he does.

bloodbloods
18th June 2013, 12:48 AM
Lamb is in for any injured smallish forward/midfielder unless Rohan challenges down the track

MadCanuck
18th June 2013, 08:54 AM
Travis Boak out for Port

mcs
18th June 2013, 10:11 AM
Unless we have an exceptionally off day, then we won't have a problem against Port. They smashed GWS, but with the way GWS is going, there would be a few reserves sides going around that would smash them - they really are no better than last year (although as Gold Coast has shown, when improvement comes, it'll come quick). Port will try hard, but they don't have the class to go with us if we are playing average or better.

Swannies by 8 goals.

Industrial Fan
18th June 2013, 11:02 AM
Is our winning streak against Port our longest?My guess would be West Coast. Or possibly Brisbane (do draws count?)

ShockOfHair
18th June 2013, 11:14 AM
Technically the last time we lost to Port was when we played them in the pre-season.

The last time they won points was when they rained on our grand final parade in round 2 2006. Since then we've won 8 games on the trot.

We've won 6 in a row against West Coast, the last loss being in round 16, 2007.

GordonS
18th June 2013, 11:40 AM
My guess would be West Coast. Or possibly Brisbane (do draws count?)

no. i'm pretty sure its the roos??

ugg
18th June 2013, 11:48 AM
Current streaks

Port Adelaide - 8 wins
North Melbourne - 7 wins
Brisbane - 6 wins
West Coast - 6 wins
Western Bulldogs - 4 wins
Gold Coast - 3 wins
GWS - 3 wins
Adelaide - 2 wins
Collingwood - 2 wins
Essendon - 2 wins
St Kilda - 2 wins
Carlton - 1 win
Melbourne - 1 win
Fremantle - 1 draw
Hawthorn - 1 loss
Geelong - 2 losses
Richmond - 2 losses

ScottH
18th June 2013, 11:51 AM
Current streaks

Port Adelaide - 8 wins
North Melbourne - 7 wins
Brisbane - 6 wins
West Coast - 6 wins
Western Bulldogs - 4 wins
Gold Coast - 3 wins
GWS - 3 wins
Adelaide - 2 wins
Collingwood - 2 wins
Essendon - 2 wins
St Kilda - 2 wins
Carlton - 1 win
Melbourne - 1 win
Fremantle - 1 draw
Hawthorn - 1 loss
Geelong - 2 losses
Richmond - 2 losses

How good do these ones look!!
WCE were going to be a Power House from 2005. Ha.

Industrial Fan
18th June 2013, 11:53 AM
haha - Richmond.

(btw I meant more did a draw end the streak rather than count towards it)

ugg
18th June 2013, 12:04 PM
haha - Richmond.

(btw I meant more did a draw end the streak rather than count towards it)

You can have a draw streak!

BillyRayCypress
18th June 2013, 12:16 PM
The SWans could pay for a fake ambulance to drive around AAMI Stadium with the siren on during the game. That would get rid of Kochie as he would be out there chasing it.

Boak is a big one out.

I think Port will cheer KT every time he gets the ball.

Ruck'n'Roll
18th June 2013, 01:02 PM
Lamb is in for any injured smallish forward/midfielder unless Rohan challenges down the track The "problem" (is that the right word) for Lamb is that our injury/unavailability plague seems curiously restriced to talls (LRT, Walsh, Mummy, Rohan, Kurt AJ, Sam) whilest the midgets seem not to be afflicted.

liz
18th June 2013, 01:46 PM
Current streaks

North Melbourne - 7 wins
s
Is that a winning streak or a non losing streak? If its a winning streak we must have an even longer non losing streak against the Roos.

ugg
18th June 2013, 02:44 PM
Is that a winning streak or a non losing streak? If its a winning streak we must have an even longer non losing streak against the Roos.

Winning. Including the Jesse White/19th man draw only extends the streak to 8.

BillyRayCypress
18th June 2013, 02:55 PM
The "problem" (is that the right word) for Lamb is that our injury/unavailability plague seems curiously restriced to talls (LRT, Walsh, Mummy, Rohan, Kurt AJ, Sam) whilest the midgets seem not to be afflicted.

Flying under the radar

Primmy
18th June 2013, 03:53 PM
I think Port will cheer KT every time he gets the ball.

I am with you here Billy.

ShockOfHair
18th June 2013, 06:01 PM
Winning. Including the Jesse White/19th man draw only extends the streak to 8.

Now you mention it, here's a fine celebration of the Jesse White draw.

The AFL Footy Show Parody Song - There were only 19 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIiBIvBX8Lk)

Bayes30
19th June 2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks Shock.

Meg
19th June 2013, 06:27 PM
Is there any particular place where Swans' fans catch up before or after a match in Adelaide? Grateful for advice.

DK_
19th June 2013, 08:02 PM
Am I missing something, or is there no 'Changes for round 13' thread? The Tippett conundrum, plus a few other doozies, are upon the selection committee. What will they do?

ScottH
19th June 2013, 08:11 PM
Am I missing something, or is there no 'Changes for round 13' thread? The Tippett conundrum, plus a few other doozies, are upon the selection committee. What will they do?

Not missing anything. I think this is it.

Bloodthirsty
19th June 2013, 08:35 PM
Not missing anything. I think this is it.

Out: K Tippett
In: ScottH

Powerade shower.

bodgie
19th June 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm sitting here in a Port household. In the local paper Port claim they are confident of snapping the Swans winning streak. Multiple interviews with Jonas, the man pencilled in to stand Tippet. Port to welcome Crows fans ready to boo Tippet. My hosts have found reasons not to go to the game... I may be a lonely figure on the terraces.

Primmy
19th June 2013, 10:26 PM
Poor Budgie, surrounded by Port narfs. You will never be a lonely figure on the terraces, heaps of redandwhiters will be on deck, including Meg!!!

GordonS
19th June 2013, 10:36 PM
well, i'll go ahead and name the changes:
out: mumford, b. jack
in: tippett, jetta

Meg
19th June 2013, 10:58 PM
"Poor Budgie, surrounded by Port narfs. You will never be a lonely figure on the terraces, heaps of redandwhiters will be on deck, including Meg!!!"

Yeah yeah! I'll be cheering from the Northern Grandstand. Go Swannies! Actually watching the replay of the match against the Crows I was pleasantly surprised just how much noisy support there seemed to be for the Swans. Of course a lot of those cheering might have been Port supporters!

hot potato
19th June 2013, 11:06 PM
The Swans seem unsure about who's ready to go, a few tests tomorrow ( Thursday) to see who's come up.

DK_
19th June 2013, 11:13 PM
Reid? I just can't see where he fits. Maybe Bird out?

GoSouth33
19th June 2013, 11:24 PM
Reid? I just can't see where he fits. Maybe Bird out?
Gee, I don't think Birdy will be dropped any time soon. He's been going OK.

BeeEmmAre
19th June 2013, 11:38 PM
Is there any particular place where Swans' fans catch up before or after a match in Adelaide? Grateful for advice.

Any answer to this question?
I'm flying in alone from Perth for my first and only experience of Footy Park before they relegate it to White Elephant status.
Is there somewhere handy for RWOers to meet up?

DK_
19th June 2013, 11:39 PM
That's the issue -they're ALL doing ok (read awesome!). The next problem will be who gets the green vest.

hot potato
20th June 2013, 12:03 AM
I can't make it, but try THE FRANKLIN HOTEL
92 Franklin st , Adelaide
To meet up ,
Hp

goswannies
20th June 2013, 02:03 AM
Any answer to this question?
I'm flying in alone from Perth for my first and only experience of Footy Park before they relegate it to White Elephant status.
Is there somewhere handy for RWOers to meet up?

At least your 1st game is against Port & not those horrid Crows fans!
Against the Crows there was an official pre-match function (they even had the 2012 Cup there for photos). No function arranged for this one tho :(
the 1pm start makes catching up harder I think.
Try contacting Carlene & Don Spencer. They head up the SA Swans supporter group. If enough traveling RWOers are interested Carlene & Don might be able to arrange something. Maybe at the Westlakes Hotel? Right near AAMI stadium. Anyway, Carlene & Don's contact details are at the bottom of the PDF link here...
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/SydneySwans/Club%20HQ/2013%20Swans%20SA%20Supporters.doc
If enough people are interested they might help out. Lovely peoples they are :)

ShockOfHair
20th June 2013, 02:15 AM
The Ramsgate Hotel car park is not far away at Henley Beach. A good place for an unvarnished exchange of views among those who love this great game of ours.

20th June 2013, 02:46 AM
The Ramsgate Hotel car park is not far away at Henley Beach. A good place for an unvarnished exchange of views among those who love this great game of ours.

LoL & a Port Power watering hole for PP players & supporters!

Ruck'n'Roll
20th June 2013, 09:49 AM
Jetta could come in, he'd simple take JackJnr's spot.
As for Reid, I can't see where we could fit him in structurally up forward. It seems unlikely that Horse would use Tippett to partner Pyke in the ruck, so we'll need Jessica (and after last week not even I would think dropping him is fair).
Speaking structurally, perhaps a spell down back for Sammy? in AJ's spot?

DK_
20th June 2013, 10:23 AM
Speaking structurally, perhaps a spell down back for Sammy? in AJ's spot?

With TW and LRT out for the season/a long time, and Tippett as the primary target up forward, I wondered whether Sam might become the new swing man.

Kind of depends on White performing in the ruck though and he's better up forward. I wonder if he'll swap with Tippett next week.

Mountain Man
20th June 2013, 10:36 AM
Has anyone told Rampe that AJ's spot is vacant?

DK_
20th June 2013, 11:09 AM

He'd be interested to know :)

There's about 24 or 25 players in my best 22 at the moment. What a great problem for Horse and friends, but it would be hard looking some of those players in the eye and telling them they haven't done enough to be selected.

RogueSwan
20th June 2013, 11:20 AM

It is Dane's to lose.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th June 2013, 11:23 AM
Irrelavent, Rampe appears to be successfully auditioning to become the permanent replacement for Marty Mattner. I think 'Dre is the man currently filling in for AJ (by a matter of inches).

dimelb
20th June 2013, 11:50 AM
Irrelevant, Rampe appears to be successfully auditioning to become the permanent replacement for Marty Mattner. I think 'Dre is the man currently filling in for AJ (by a matter of inches).
How I see it too.

rojo
20th June 2013, 03:16 PM
We will know soon enough but it looks like neither Reid nor Jets will be playing on Sat. If that is the case I hope Lamb gets another run (nothing v Brandon) even though he hasn't the speed to replace Jets. We could play Goodesy and others on the wing. Whichever, they would no doubt get the green vest.

sidswan
20th June 2013, 05:45 PM
Prob not the right thread, but did anyone else see this morning that shaw is still FIVE WEEKS away? .........must have been a major 'abdominal strain'

Bloodthirsty
20th June 2013, 06:02 PM
Prob not the right thread, but did anyone else see this morning that shaw is still FIVE WEEKS away? .........must have been a major 'abdominal strain'

I've had fears for weeks now that Shaw and LRT won't be fit enough to play by the time they're ready. I have accustomed myself to getting used to a Swans team without them this year. I hope I'm wrong - but not at the expense of cutting out well-performing players and replacing them with underdone players at the business end of the season based purely on name. Swans wouldn't do that anyway.

stellation
20th June 2013, 06:30 PM
So my sources are telling we might see a change tonight with Mummy to make way for Tippet. Apparently Mummy has pulled up sore from the Crows game.

If I hear any more scoops I'll let you know.

Primmy
20th June 2013, 06:55 PM
Oh Stella.....I'll be at the Alexandria (sydney) if you feel like calling in. Can't miss me. I look like my photo but with white hair and red clothes. Honestly, you would think my parents came up with the genetic distrubution when it comes to my looks. I look like a bloody swan.

Tippo/Mummy.
BJ stays as green vest OR Jetts is ready (but perhaps not, he wasn't on today at training).
Sam not ready

R-1
20th June 2013, 06:55 PM

The abdominal injury is nasty because it prevents virtually all conditioning and training. When he eventually returns Shawry will have to build up and probably run through the reserves.

stellation
20th June 2013, 07:05 PM
I'm also hearing that Roosy may not be coaching in this one.

Bloodthirsty
20th June 2013, 07:25 PM
Everitt - achilles.

On-Baller
20th June 2013, 07:30 PM
Lamb in for Dre,Tippett for Mummy.Port have some big outs including Boak and Hitchcock.

ugg
20th June 2013, 07:31 PM
B: Armstrong, T.Richards, Rampe
HB: Smith, Grundy, Malceski
C: Hannebery, Kennedy, McVeigh
HF: Parker, Tippett, Bird
F: Bolton, Goodes, McGlynn
Foll: Pyke, O'Keefe, K.Jack

Int: Mitchell, Lamb, White, Morton
Emg: Membrey, B.Jack, X.Richards

On-Baller
20th June 2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks ugg,so if B.Jack is out who replaced him?Im struggling to think who besides Tippett and Lamb didnt play last game.

Edit:Oh okay its Armstrong,didnt see him named in the in's.

ShockOfHair
20th June 2013, 07:37 PM
Out: Mummo, Ev, BJ
In: Tip, Jed, Armo

ugg
20th June 2013, 07:37 PM
Armstrong

liz
20th June 2013, 07:44 PM
It's official, our big men are cursed this season. Feel for Everitt because he had strung a few decent games together and was starting to look a part of the team. An Achilles injury kept him sidelined for the second half of last season. They can take a while to get right.

On-Baller
20th June 2013, 07:48 PM
Looks like we may have no choice in whether to make Sam a swingman in the next few games anyway,Armstrong just is too fragile to fill the role Dre had been doing really well.Tony will probably play well this week but against the bigger bodied teams he just doesnt have the bulk too compete.Also speaks volumes of where Towers is seen to be in his progression as body wise i would have guessed he would be the replacement for Dre.

liz
20th June 2013, 08:06 PM
Looks like we may have no choice in whether to make Sam a swingman in the next few games anyway,Armstrong just is too fragile to fill the role Dre had been doing really well.Tony will probably play well this week but against the bigger bodied teams he just doesnt have the bulk too compete.Also speaks volumes of where Towers is seen to be in his progression as body wise i would have guessed he would be the replacement for Dre.

I would have pegged Alex Brown as the most obvious replacement for Everitt. Certainly I'd have had him ahead of Richards. Not a knock on X's ability or form - but physically he does look some way off being ready for senior footy.

liz
20th June 2013, 08:06 PM

I would have pegged Alex Brown as the most obvious replacement for Everitt. Certainly I'd have had him ahead of Richards. Not a knock on X's ability or form - but physically he does look some way off being ready for senior footy.

ScottH
20th June 2013, 08:17 PM

An interesting Emg list.
1/4 of a game between the 3 of them.

Even the bench is quite in experienced.

aardvark
20th June 2013, 08:27 PM
An interesting Emg list.
1/4 of a game between the 3 of them.

Even the bench is quite in experienced.

Could this game be this seasons "Shocker"? I'm not feeling all that confident.

stellation
20th June 2013, 09:04 PM
Don't worry, Jesse's playing!

Alan
20th June 2013, 09:07 PM

We normally save that for Richmond or Melbourne.

GordonS
20th June 2013, 09:28 PM

pretty much. melbourne is a weird one. the last three games have been: 100 point win, draw, 80 point loss. at that rate we should beat em by about 200 this year.

ScottH
20th June 2013, 09:29 PM

Can he string 2 together??

Shhh. These are the ones that make me nervous.

cyanide
20th June 2013, 09:47 PM

I recall similarly dour predictions before the Crows massacre. Glass half full guys...the probability of Port upsetting us is minuscule. The strength and experience of our named side is no comparison to Port's, Mumford's withdrawal notwithstanding.

Our record over recent memory, our depth in all areas of the ground, our proven hardness at contests, ability to defend, capacity to dictate terms to opposition and dominate clearances and tackle counts - all these point to a comfortable win.

Not trying to jinx us here just stating objective facts. A Port victory is highly unlikely. Have faith in Horse and the team that they will bring the same outstanding pressure and effort as they have the last few weeks and get the job done.

alt_mattr
20th June 2013, 10:06 PM
hooley dooley we are getting through the big men this year - lucky we picked one up over summer.

- - - Updated - - -

how many from the premiership side are taking the field this week?

Swansongster
20th June 2013, 10:15 PM

We've already had it against Hawthorn.

20th June 2013, 10:46 PM

This is our lack of depth talked about over the summer finally being dsplayed and this after a week off. We can't afford any more injuries or we could very quickly be on a slippery slope :-(

Worried that the injury list is looking like it's full of longer term injuries too.

Primmy
20th June 2013, 10:52 PM
I just love this list of emergencies. Imeantersay!!!! Its absolutely delicious...

I have seen all of the Int and Emg players on deck this year, and they play the same game in the twos as the seniors do. They all know what their job is. Don't worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I just love this list of emergencies. Imeantersay!!!! Its absolutely delicious...

I have seen all of the Int and Emg players on deck this year, and they play the same game in the twos as the seniors do. They all know what their job is. Don't worry about it.

ShockOfHair
20th June 2013, 10:57 PM

You make it sound like 'Shocker' is a bad thing. Shock is good.

ugg
20th June 2013, 10:57 PM
If I've counted right, 11 unavailable this week and assuming 1 traveling emergency means 11 at the most will play for the Ressies in Alice Springs.

Ludwig
20th June 2013, 11:26 PM
I think our depth is very good, but agree it is being tested at the moment. It may not be our best team going to Adelaide, but it's still a very strong team. Our best players are still there. We shouldn't have a problem with PA.

Armstrong is probably in to play on Jake Neade so Smith can take Monfries, which is a better matchup for him. Wonder if Westoff will play in defence as it's a pretty tall order to cover Tippo, White and Pyke.

Luckily Carlton don't have a dangerous tall forward line, so we shouldn't get caught out with the many KPP injuries we have. After that it's Melbourne and GWs. Hopefully we can get back most of injured talls for the WCE game.

ernie koala
20th June 2013, 11:38 PM
Oh Come on....Is this a love of Dre that I've somehow missed ?

I can't believe all the doomsayers on here. Have we all forgotten the last 3 games?

We are playing as well as I've ever seen...and that's since the mid 70's.

We'll towel up Port.

swans
20th June 2013, 11:40 PM

Getting games times into these player against the lower team is a must for the swans to fast develop and try some of the newbies in the next few weeks. We need to allow players that are showing good form in the reserve to get game These players below it time to shine.
You never know you may get a games in the next few weeks if anymore fall Show the swans you can make the next step up.

It time for any of this guys to step up and put pressure on the senior player. Play well or play a role and you may have a big chance to move up the list and play this year for us not next. I be playing for my life to get a games in the swans from the list players below in the next few weeks
Show the coaches you can play and make it hard to pick the senior back in.
Go for it guys
May be a surprise
Membrey,
B.Jack,
X.Richards
Dean Towers
Alex brown
Matthew dick
Jordan lockyer
Harry cunningham

aardvark
20th June 2013, 11:42 PM
You make it sound like 'Shocker' is a bad thing. Shock is good.

This is true

ernie koala
20th June 2013, 11:48 PM
I must say, the non event of Towers so far....is disappointing.....Another 1st round bust???

Tell me it's not true Ressie watchers.

wolftone57
21st June 2013, 02:40 AM
Teams are up and Tip, Tony A & Lamby are in, Mummy, Drey & Brandy out.

Jesse won't start on bench and Tip will be second ruck. Jesse will be FF.

Macca won't be on the wing as shown in team line up.

I would also suggest that Jude will start on the pine and Mitch on the field.

Lamby will probably be sub but I would love to see him get a full game just to show what he's got to give.

Someone was talking about Towers being a dud. No dud just so competitive for mids spots and HB as well so he is going to suffer for a while until Shaw, Jude, ROK & Goodsie retire. Probably get a shot next year. He is playing pretty consistently now in the Two. We don't normally blood first year players, AJ, Hannas & Rampe are unusual. Rampe has been around the club a while so he knows what is required to play in the Bloods jumper.

giant
21st June 2013, 05:30 AM
Geez you feel for Dre playing the best footy of his career & then an Achilles injury. Are there any details on how serious it is?

Big game for Tony Armstrong - slipped down the defenders pecking order, needs to show what he's capable of.

Bloody Hell
21st June 2013, 05:55 AM
Never thought I'd say this, but Everitt is a big out.

He's doing a great job and I don't think the ins go close to covering him. As noted the depth is being tested.

- - - Updated - - -

Big game for Tony Armstrong - slipped down the defenders pecking order, needs to show what he's capable of.

+1

Having trouble rating him.

aardvark
21st June 2013, 08:24 AM

Ha I'd blocked that information out. Now i'm really worried!!!

swansrob
21st June 2013, 08:39 AM
I read somewhere that Everitt had Achilles soreness as opposed to injury, so might not be serious at all.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st June 2013, 08:41 AM
Never thought I'd say this, but Everitt is a big out.

+1

After all the loss of 'Dre, who was covering for LRT, who was covering for AJ leaves us a tad shot down back.

I know Butcher, Schulz, Westy and Stewart aren't Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunstan but I suspect Port will try to expose us.

As to our depth, could anyone predict such an injury plague concentrated on our talls? It's weird!

stellation
21st June 2013, 09:11 AM
It is dissapointing for Dre, too- he really played well against the Crows and would have been looking to build on that.

GordonS
21st June 2013, 11:39 AM
is this our most depleted team for the year??
if u think about it, the only other guys that could possibly come in with experience are cunningham and b. jack, but both have only 1 quarter of experience. the rest have never played. this injury list is getting a tad ridiculous now

Bloodthirsty
21st June 2013, 11:54 AM
+1

After all the loss of 'Dre, who was covering for LRT, who was covering for AJ leaves us a tad shot down back.

I know Butcher, Schulz, Westy and Stewart aren't Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunstan but I suspect Port will try to expose us.

As to our depth, could anyone predict such an injury plague concentrated on our talls? It's weird!

I'm pretty sure that all our best talls will be fit and firing come the business end of the season, with the exception of LRT, AJ and TW.

Rampe successfully covers AJ (although not like-for-like, he fills a key role), Everitt is the swingman successfully for LRT and there was no place for TW with Tippett and White anyway.

We have a stretch of 'easy' games, which we will still win by big margins. At least we can run a few less experienced guys which will help with our list management at the end of the season so that we refine our list when planning to win our third flag in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to say - if PYKE went down, I think his loss would have the biggest impact out of any tall player. Insane to think this now. Endless credit to him. So I'm going to count our stars that this hasn't happened. Things could be far, far worse.

Swansongster
21st June 2013, 11:54 AM
is this our most depleted team for the year??
if u think about it, the only other guys that could possibly come in with experience are cunningham and b. jack, but both have only 1 quarter of experience. the rest have never played. this injury list is getting a tad ridiculous now

We've had a good run in recent years. Perhaps, the law of averages is catching up with us.

The current injury list (which doesn't include Dre - does anyone know how bad the Achilles is?) indicates that we should have Mumford, Reid and Jetts all back within three weeks with the last two probably next week (it is the right decision to get them right before returning).

So, I don't think we are travelling too badly and we should be able to negotiate through the next four games and then have a healthier group for the run home and September.

However, we certainly don't want any more soldiers going down at the moment.

wolftone57
21st June 2013, 12:25 PM
Dre has Achilles soreness which if it is not too bad will be a week. Probably got a knock to the ankle in the match which stretched Achilles. If it is more severe it still should only be 2 weeks but let us hope he is good for the Carlton clash because we will need his run and deft delivery then.

I think the club is being very conservative with Sammy and Lewis which I think is good. We don't desperately need them at the moment as we have very good depth so they will be right to go against Carlton.

Port will try to expose our lack of height in the back half but I think Longmire has a plan ( I have a cunning plan), I bloody hope he does anyway.

Swansongster you are right we do not want any more soldiers going down. Someone mentioned Pykie getting injured on here and I cringed, that we don't need please people DON'T even think it.

GordonS
21st June 2013, 12:28 PM
We've had a good run in recent years. Perhaps, the law of averages is catching up with us.

The current injury list (which doesn't include Dre - does anyone know how bad the Achilles is?) indicates that we should have Mumford, Reid and Jetts all back within three weeks with the last two probably next week (it is the right decision to get them right before returning).

So, I don't think we are travelling too badly and we should be able to negotiate through the next four games and then have a healthier group for the run home and September.

However, we certainly don't want any more soldiers going down at the moment.

yeah, exactly. hopefully we can put everitt, reid and jetts in the mix for next week against carlton which will be an important game

Ludwig
21st June 2013, 12:49 PM
+1

Both teams could be exposed for height. We could rotate Tippett, White and Pyke in the forward line, so they might need Westy to help out in the coverage.

As for us, White has played some defence and I think we might find Goodsey dropping back to help out the coverage.

But probably it will be the midfield battle that will decide the contest and we should dominate in there. I am pleased that Blakey noted the quality of Chad Wingard; he's one that we have to keep an eye on. It will be interesting to see how he compares to Tommy Mitchell, as they went in the same draft.

Red
21st June 2013, 04:16 PM
+1

We may even see Reid adopting LRT/Dre's tall-utility role, mainly down-back but drifting forward for a couple.

22nd June 2013, 08:59 AM
I've arrived back in Adelaide after a month of sun and warmth in FNQ to find it very cold and raining :-(

The rain looks like it will clear to showers later this morning but expect it to be a slippery wet weather game.

I wasn't here for the fantastic win against the Adelaide Cows so despite the crap weather I'm looking forward to seeing the guys getting the points this afternoon, just need to find my wet weather gear!

liz
22nd June 2013, 11:13 AM
Stupid question, but can someone confirm when today's game starts? I know it is 1.10pm, but is that local time or AEST?

troyjones2525
22nd June 2013, 11:17 AM
It'll be 1:10 eastern standard time. There is a game in Melbourne at 4:40 so they would have schedueld this one to finish before the pre game of the other. Thats my guess anyway?

ugg
22nd June 2013, 11:17 AM
Local time 1.10
Sydney time 1.40

liz
22nd June 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks. Need to arrive at the ground at the right time. I always seem to get in wrong in Adelaide.

Certainly is a very wet, soggy morning here. Drizzling rather than pissing down, but the sky is a uniform dull grey in every direction. Hope my seat is under cover!

liz
22nd June 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks. Need to arrive at the ground at the right time. I always seem to get in wrong in Adelaide.

Certainly is a very wet, soggy morning here. Drizzling rather than pissing down, but the sky is a uniform dull grey in every direction. Hope my seat is under cover!