PDA

View Full Version : Paul Roos to Coach Demons in 2014

BillyRayCypress
18th June 2013, 10:43 AM
I can't believe that I have a look in at RWO this morning and there is no reference or discussion started. A slow week?

There are a number of pointers to this happening.

The On the Couch third member has long been a coach in waiting, even back to the old Monday's Experts format.

Mark Neeld and Paul Roos. Just the names give the secret away.

P is 4 letters in the alphabet after M if you count M as the first letter. Both men have 4 letters in their first name.

R is 5 letters after N. Neeld has 5 letters in his surname and all you have to do is add a "D" to Roos and we have the same situation. The "D" obviously standing for Demons.

Roos has sold his Sydney house.

The Demons need to hop up the ladder and Roos as coach would be the obvious coach to help with the hop.

If the DEmons win the Grand Final under his coaching he can always borrow someone elses kiddies to run out or may even have a few grand kids of his own by then.

The Swans Academy can survive without Roos now as Jude will take over next year. Didn't Jude and Bucky team up with a clothes designer label. OK, it wasn't that successful but that was clothing.

I think it would be a great choice for the long term BBQ existence of the Melbourne members before games.

Finally, I need to stop procrastinating and get on with what I was meant to be doing.

Jewels
18th June 2013, 11:02 AM
Another pearler Billy Ray, love your work :adore

aardvark
18th June 2013, 12:01 PM
Anything that gets Roos away from commentating would be an improvement

magic.merkin
18th June 2013, 12:18 PM
Anything that gets Roos away from commentating would be an improvement
+1

Good luck to him. They need to be competitive for the greater good of the comp.

Red
18th June 2013, 01:03 PM
I doubt very much Roos would take the Demons on, I reckon he's way too smart for that.

If he coaches again my tip would be the Brisbane Lions, which is a perfect fit in lots of ways.

And they will absolutely be looking for a new head coach in 2014, if not sooner.

BillyRayCypress
18th June 2013, 01:06 PM
I doubt very much Roos would take the Demons on, I reckon he's way too smart for that.

If he coaches again my tip would be the Brisbane Lions, which is a perfect fit in lots of ways.

Nah, he'll get Lions "flashbacks".

Who would have thought that we would have been grateful to the Dockers and now possibly the Demons.

Celtic Blood
18th June 2013, 03:02 PM
Paul Roos wont coach Melbourne in 2014, he essentially said as much in a clip from, I think, Fox Foody shown on Foody Classified last evening. However, another of our former coaches, Rodney Eade may be a contender.

Swansongster
18th June 2013, 03:49 PM
Paul Roos wont coach Melbourne in 2014, he essentially said as much in a clip from, I think, Fox Foody shown on Foody Classified last evening. However, another of our former coaches, Rodney Eade may be a contender.

Haven't watched for a few weeks but the last time it was asked of him, he said (paraphrased) "No chance. I am enjoying what I am doing and have lost the coaches' mindset."

However, I can't help think of all the denials that Hird made from the same OTC chair. Money talks.

That said, I would be greatly surprised if he took the job.

I have speculated before about a Dream Team lining up of Colless and Roos. Wouldn't the AFL love that.

magic.merkin
18th June 2013, 03:56 PM
OTC last night, he said he was open to a call from them, but was the opposite of Eade who said he had a burning desire to coach again. Make of that what you will :confused:

Old S.M.Blood
18th June 2013, 06:26 PM
According to the "Herald Sun" Melbourne is offering Roos in excess of one Million dollars a season to coach them. It would be very tempting for him to change his mind about coaching. Can't say I would blame him if he did. Melbourne want to be in the finals within 3 years. Could Roos do it ?????

sidswan
18th June 2013, 06:40 PM
I may be an old fuddy-duddy, but I will NEVER get over how many times James Hird sat on that couch and blatantly LIED about coaching. I may be deluded, but I expect Roos to be more honest.

How old are the Roos boys? Surely he wouldn't move them in their final years?

swanwolf
18th June 2013, 08:42 PM
I've also heard Paul's name connected with Brisbane's coaching role alongside some familiar Swan's faces as his assistants. Are Demon's dollars enough to sway the heart of a Fitzroy Lion?

Ludwig
18th June 2013, 09:48 PM
If Roos takes the Melbourne job it will just be for the money. It's a very long and difficult road ahead. At least at Brisbane he has a bit more to work with. The players do give it a go, not like the Dees. Vossy has made a lot of mistakes, but he would have instilled a pretty good work ethic I would imagine.

wolftone57
18th June 2013, 11:00 PM
The rumour is the job is between Rocket and Mark Williams. Roos has always said he won't take an interstate job until his kids finish school. Tyler was 16 twelve months ago so he is 17 now. Dylan would be 19 now. Depends on whether Tyler does his HSC at 17 or 18 as to when he finishes school. It could be this year or next. In other words he might not be coaching again until 2015. But Roos has to have the passion to coach and I don't know that he has. The position he has now as head of the Swans Academy is much less demanding than a Senior Coaching position and he actually gets to spend time with wife Tami and his sons.

In other words he gets to go home at night and sleep well knowing he doesn't have the worry of coaching another win every weekend.

hot potato
19th June 2013, 12:21 AM
One million a year would change anyone's mind. That's double the Prime Ministers Salary. He's sold his house, the boys can go study on campus anywhere. He's taking the call.
HP

unconfuseme
19th June 2013, 05:06 AM
Why would he take a pay cut?

jono2707
19th June 2013, 05:10 AM
Roosy can take the job, or he can decline it; either way I'll still love him because he's Roosy.

Anyway I reckon he's a much better chance of taking the Brisbane job when it invariably comes up...

Untamed Snark
19th June 2013, 09:09 AM
I seem to remember Roos saying that the family would head to the USA for a couple of years when the boys finished school
Can't remember where I read that though

Doctor
19th June 2013, 09:14 AM
You'd have to be dead keen to take that job on and Roosy clearly isn't. I'd be inclined to think Rocket will get the nod, but this is Melbourne we're talking about.

johnno
20th June 2013, 02:15 AM
Paul Roos has gone from saying that he'll never coach again to saying the following in a recent Herald Sun article...

"Look, I will take a call," Roos said.

"I am happy to talk if they want me to talk now that Neeld has gone.

"If (Melbourne) did want to have a chat, well we'd see what would happen then," he said.

"The thought of coaching Melbourne doesn't scare me, not the club itself or any other club," he said.

"In some ways it's the great coaching challenge, but you have got to be thinking like a coach to take it on if you are going to do that role."

"I think money is the wrong reason to do it," he said. "Everyone needs money, but you have to have more of a motivation to want to coach."

But he said the "goal-to-goal line of (James) Frawley, (Colin) Garland, (Chris) Dawes and (Mitch) Clark with (Nathan) Jones is solid".

"Their lack of depth and run through the midfield is the most significant problem they need to overcome, but they have some talented players."

...I think he kept saying 'No' whilst Neeld was officially coach, but now that he's not...Roos is throwing his hat in the ring!

Paul Roos to be coach of the Melbourne Demons in 2014!!! Bookmark it.

Dosser
20th June 2013, 09:43 AM
The 1 million dollar call is a furphy. Journalists are not involved in those sort of discussions, particularly when the board has probably only just decided on a figure. The amount of rubbish that is printed just to sell papers is mind-boggling. It takes me back to the good old days of when the Swans used to be the big bogey club up north who would offer 'big dollars' to any player who was negotiating their contracts at their own club. Surprisingly, all of these players got a better deal with their own club while the Swans hierarchy never seemed to know of any offers being made at the time. I imagine that there are a few clubs who have now started behind-the-scenes discussion with a few to offering contract extensions to their current coaches.

Swansongster
20th June 2013, 10:16 AM
The 1 million dollar call is a furphy. Journalists are not involved in those sort of discussions, particularly when the board has probably only just decided on a figure. The amount of rubbish that is printed just to sell papers is mind-boggling. It takes me back to the good old days of when the Swans used to be the big bogey club up north who would offer 'big dollars' to any player who was negotiating their contracts at their own club. Surprisingly, all of these players got a better deal with their own club while the Swans hierarchy never seemed to know of any offers being made at the time. I imagine that there are a few clubs who have now started behind-the-scenes discussion with a few to offering contract extensions to their current coaches.

I would also suspect that if Roos' hat is in fact out there and in the ring that there might be a few other clubs that would like to make a call to him.

swansrob
20th June 2013, 11:21 AM
Roos has been linked to every available coaching position, and some that weren't, ever since the Longmire hand-over. If he puts pen to paper with a club, I'll pay it some attention at that point. Until then...

Jewels
20th June 2013, 11:43 AM
Roos has been linked to every available coaching position, and some that weren't, ever since the Longmire hand-over. If he puts pen to paper with a club, I'll pay it some attention at that point. Until then...

Yep

ernie koala
20th June 2013, 11:47 AM
He's certainly softened his position, to...."not at THIS moment"...ie: I'll wait and see what's on offer.... Typical Roos double speak.

Like others, I wouldn't discount the Lions Job. Which looks like it will,, almost certainly, be open by seasons end. The Fitzroy connection, and a way better list to work with.

The Demons lure is to come in as the Messiah and lead them to the the promised land.

And thereby cement himself a spot in history, up with the great coaches....But it will be a hard slog, with no guarantee of success.

As an earlier poster said, anything would be better than listening to his commentary.

On-Baller
20th June 2013, 07:02 PM
If Roosy coaches again it will be the Lions,his connection to Lynch and co up there to me make that the logical option along with the fact he was of course a favourite son of Fitzroy.

BSA5
20th June 2013, 10:01 PM
I would not mind seeing Roos coaching the Dees. Could be exactly the thing they need to get back on track. It would be paying them back for Barassi, who did so much good for us!

barry
20th June 2013, 10:10 PM
Roos should coach the lions after voss in 2014/15

goswannie14
21st June 2013, 08:10 AM
I'd like to see him at Melbourne. They ned to be a successful club. I reckon he would relish the challenge.

ernie koala
22nd June 2013, 12:13 PM
Was speaking with Jason Ball yesterday ( a friend of mines son plays footy with Jasons son, as does John Blakeys son- who looks like he'll be a gun),

he says Roos will coach again...but it won't be Melbourne.....It'll be Brisbane!

hot potato
25th June 2013, 12:44 AM
Well , watching him OTC again tonight, I reckon he knows very clearly what a phenomenal workload it is to coach and what pressure it places on the family and he and Tami just want to be be there for the boys as much as possible during what can be difficult years for young people .
So he's just not ready yet, may never be ready. Coaching actually sucks, but maybe one day... I'll have another crack, but I doubt it.

HP

Mr Magoo
25th June 2013, 09:29 AM
Funny how things move on. I am sure this same sort of thread was around a few years ago (ie paul roos coaching elswehere) and all and sundry thought it would be downright treason.

Now we are comfortable that Longmire is a more than capable replacement , the responses seem quite calm, even downright encouraging.