PDA

View Full Version : Colless sets Tiger boss straight

dimelb
20th June 2013, 11:46 AM
Again a Melbourne club leader spouts ignorant rubbish, and cops a pretty fierce return of serve:

Colless hits out at Tiger boss' claim (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/colless-hits-out-at-tiger-boss-claim-20130619-2oje3.html)

Primmy
20th June 2013, 12:29 PM
Kapow!!!

ShockOfHair
20th June 2013, 12:51 PM
Well said as usual. He will be missed.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th June 2013, 12:52 PM
Leaving aside this Richmond $%^&'s real agenda, it's interesting that Colless said it was "an inexcusable breach of confidence" not a "falshood" - so maybe we are struggling?

Melbournehammer
20th June 2013, 12:55 PM
we have struggled financially each year. If you look at our finances we are not a club which has much in the way of a profit stream. This is despite having more members than kind of EVER and sustained on field success.

Doctor
20th June 2013, 01:17 PM
Leaving aside this Richmond $%^&'s real agenda, it's interesting that Colless said it was "an inexcusable breach of confidence" not a "falshood" - so maybe we are struggling?

I noted that choice of words too.

MadCanuck
20th June 2013, 01:35 PM
Again a Melbourne club leader spouts ignorant rubbish, and cops a pretty fierce return of serve:

Colless hits out at Tiger boss' claim (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/colless-hits-out-at-tiger-boss-claim-20130619-2oje3.html)

Colless: "I didn't know Gary (March) was still alive." Gotta laugh.

GongSwan
20th June 2013, 01:59 PM
We might be up against it abit with the SCG redevelopment crowd numbers would be down in total, even with memberships up, still need bums on seats

Dosser
20th June 2013, 02:01 PM
Bang! What a great response! Unfortunately, this Richmond fool has sprouted it on SEN which means that it is now 'fact'. I hope they will get Colless on the same program to put them straight.

gumby_bolts
20th June 2013, 02:27 PM
Swans are a expansion club now? Who knew?
I think this clown, Eddie and co will only be truly happy if AFL reverts back to VFL days, the rich Victorian play in a English Football Premiership style competition and the rest of us play in a reserve level comp where the winner gets the spoils of playing the glory boys for a season.

swansrob
20th June 2013, 03:12 PM

This is probably the dumbest statement in his whole rant. He realises that out club is eleven years older than his, yeah?

dimelb
20th June 2013, 03:33 PM
It seems a particularly Victorian attitude, and reminded me of a criticism in another post I put up, about John Devaney from Lincolnshire. He only lived in South Australia for seven years from age 6 to 13, but that was enough to make him a life-long footy fanatic.

One constant theme that runs through Devaney's work is not just his affection for the sport but his antipathy towards the body known as the AFL, and the Victorian-centric way in which it has sought to commandeer the code. He hates, for example, any reference to amateur, country and suburban footballers playing ''AFL''. No they're not, Devaney says, they're playing Australian football. ... In fact, so sorely was Devaney's loyalty tested in 1977, the year the VFL ''sabotaged'' the National Football League's nascent attempts to develop an Australia-wide competition by withdrawing its support and setting up its own rival tournament, he gave the game away altogether. That meant for three years disentangling himself emotionally from the sport, and trying to purge it from his system.
Only when, perchance, he flicked on the television in September 1980 and saw the Kevin Bartlett-led Richmond side completely dismantle Collingwood in the Grand Final did footy once again regain its hold on the Englishman. ''Whatever the rights and wrongs of the VFL's attempts to take control of football, the game itself ... remained unsurpassed in terms of its sheer skill, athleticism and physical toughness, while its spectacular elements were completely unique,'' he said.

Here is a genuine love of the game, an attitude people like Gary March could learn from, instead of indulging in envy. The game is bigger than Richmond, and the Swans have nothing to do with where the Tigers are coming from. That's completely down to them.

Nico
20th June 2013, 05:20 PM
Mate that was the beginning of the end of South Melbourne. The NFL games in Melbourne were to be played at the South ground, the only one that had lights at the time. South were tenants of the South Melbourne Cricket Club and the VFL threatened to take South away from the ground if they hosted the games. Of course being the main paying tenant the cricket club backed down. I saw the letter to the cricket club.

satchmopugdog
20th June 2013, 05:30 PM
I found it interesting the replies to the newspaper article were just the same re-hashed arguments that the Tigers boss and Eddie spout all the time........it was as if they had not read the article or if they did they assumed Colless was lying and whinging......made my blood boil. Can see why Colless is sick of it.

Doctor J.
21st June 2013, 12:21 AM
Mate that was the beginning of the end of South Melbourne. The NFL games in Melbourne were to be played at the South ground, the only one that had lights at the time. South were tenants of the South Melbourne Cricket Club and the VFL threatened to take South away from the ground if they hosted the games. Of course being the main paying tenant the cricket club backed down. I saw the letter to the cricket club.
Absolutely the beginning of the end. Bloody VFL and everything it stands for I despise. The whole VFL centric nature of the AFL comp is what I hope one day will be a thing of the past.

GoBloods
21st June 2013, 12:46 AM
its the same old victorian mentality .....victorian competition , only victorian clubs should win the comp , how dare 'interstate ' teams win the vfl/afl comp....
Dear Gary , how many times have Richmond stood up in the last 31 seasons ? twice .... two finals appearances in 31 years ....maybe you should tend to your own backyard before you voice opinions about other clubs , especially successful clubs.
Gary , please keep allowing the clowns to run the richmond circus, because we , the swans will win more games , more finals , more flags
Gary , the swans have been successfully managed/run/administered by champions such as Ricahard Colless . In the last 17 years , we have played finals 14 times and won two flags ......so Gary .Piss off

giant
21st June 2013, 05:40 AM
You'd think if you were the President of a chronically under-achieving mob like the Tiges, you'd be looking at a club like the Swans and thinking what can we learn from all the brilliant things they do on and off the field in an effort to get even the modicum of success they've had, instead of rehashing the mantra of the Bigfooty brain-dead that it must simply be because the AFL has paid for it. Staggering...

goswannie14
21st June 2013, 08:03 AM
Absolutely the beginning of the end. Bloody VFL and everything it stands for I despise. The whole VFL centric nature of the AFL comp is what I hope one day will be a thing of the past.
I agree with you, but it will only happen as some of the constant under perfroming clubs either merge (unlikely given the media deals) or relocate interstate. Whilst we still have 10 clubs (more than half) in Victoria, this attitude will not go away. It is these clubs that receive the most support from the AFL, but we don't hear these Bozo's complaining about that.

DamY
21st June 2013, 01:31 PM
You'd think if you were the President of a chronically under-achieving mob like the Tiges, you'd be looking at a club like the Swans and thinking what can we learn from all the brilliant things they do on and off the field in an effort to get even the modicum of success they've had, instead of rehashing the mantra of the Bigfooty brain-dead that it must simply be because the AFL has paid for it. Staggering...

It's probably due to the success that they get so green-eyed. Last year, hardly anyone could name our midfield except Goodes, maybe O'Keefe and Bolton. Hanners maybe after the Grand Final oh and JPK. To have the third least members and not much visibility in Melbourne to snatch the GF is a shock to the other clubs.

aardvark
21st June 2013, 01:39 PM
......so Gary .Piss off

Hear hear!:smile:

Mr Magoo
21st June 2013, 06:02 PM
its the same old victorian mentality .....victorian competition , only victorian clubs should win the comp , how dare 'interstate ' teams win the vfl/afl comp....
Dear Gary , how many times have Richmond stood up in the last 31 seasons ? twice .... two finals appearances in 31 years ....maybe you should tend to your own backyard before you voice opinions about other clubs , especially successful clubs.
Gary , please keep allowing the clowns to run the richmond circus, because we , the swans will win more games , more finals , more flags
Gary , the swans have been successfully managed/run/administered by champions such as Ricahard Colless . In the last 17 years , we have played finals 14 times and won two flags ......so Gary .Piss off

Our success over that time is all due to the cost of living allowance we get. If not for that we would be exactly like Richmond.:wink:

wolftone57
21st June 2013, 06:24 PM
I think this clown, Eddie and co will only be truly happy if AFL reverts back to VFL days, the rich Victorian play in a English Football Premiership style competition and the rest of us play in a reserve level comp where the winner gets the spoils of playing the glory boys for a season.

That is exactly what they want. They are the ones hassling for two conferences East & West or more likely North and South. South would mean Melbourne and if a new Tasmanian team came in they would also play. North would be the rest. Typical of Eddie and his mates in the other Victorian clubs to suggest this. Yes we will play two Conferences and the Northern Conference would have the majority of good teams in it and get better and the Southern Conference would have duds like Melbourne, Norf and Saints and simply get worse until the sponsors dropped off.

- - - Updated - - -

It's probably due to the success that they get so green-eyed. Last year, hardly anyone could name our midfield except Goodes, maybe O'Keefe and Bolton. Hanners maybe after the Grand Final oh and JPK. To have the third least members and not much visibility in Melbourne to snatch the GF is a shock to the other clubs.

They still don't know Luke Parker's name, to their detriment.