PDA

View Full Version : Changes Round 14 v Carlton

ernie koala
22nd June 2013, 07:20 PM
May as well get started on this one.

Out :
Armstrong....IMO he's a dud, weak around the ball, and plays dinky, flim flam footy.
Goodes....His knee looks a worry

In :
Jetta (Hopefully)
Reid (hopefully)

Everitt if fit, not sure who for but he's been looking really good as a back pocket defender.
Morton is under pressure to hold his spot.

I'd like to see Lamb get a full game
Bolton as sub

jetts32
22nd June 2013, 07:33 PM
Agreed with Armstrong out, he's just not looking like he's going to improve.
We missed Jetta's speed heaps hopefully him and Reid can come back.
Morton under serious pressure, we need more speed in the forward line so maybe little Jack?
Everitt could also come in, has impressed me aswell.

Still can't believe we lost to that trash.

alt_mattr
22nd June 2013, 08:42 PM
These threads are normally quite interesting but surely we are left with basically no options thanks to all the injuries?

The Big Cat
22nd June 2013, 08:59 PM
Longmire not sure about Goodes but says he doubts if Reid or Jetta will play.

Southern Swan15
22nd June 2013, 09:26 PM
Without trying to make any outrageous calls due to the disappointment of todays effort, match committee really need to consider leaving Armstrong in Adelaide, the bloke was a dead set liability out there today. Conditions aside I don't think he showed anything that indicates he will be a regular part of the team going forward.

Hopefully Everett will be good to return against the blues

Fingers crossed its not wet.

Nico
22nd June 2013, 09:51 PM
Armstrong out. Got caught on the wrong side of his opponent all game.
White .....gorn.
Parker is on the edge for mine. Saw his game as lazy and lacking a tank.

ScottH
22nd June 2013, 09:56 PM
Morton is pretty soft around the contests too.
I was surprised to see that in our last few forward forays today, McGlynn was the only one at home. No White, Tippett or Morton to help out

Carlton will tear us apart if we play like that again.

GordonS
22nd June 2013, 10:04 PM
well, most of the guys played @@@@, but the definite out is armstrong. he was bloody useless. its disappointing cos he looked alright last year, but has been crap this year. but its hard to pick another out cos most of the guys had a shocker. morton didnt impress one bit so i reckon swap him out for lamb who needs a full game so we can really see what he's got. the talls were particularly poor also. white and pyke were barely seen, but they're all we got so they will have to stay. tippett played his first game so he is completely innocent. grundy and richards both played their worst games of the past two seasons. but overall, i cant see many changes for next week unless we get some players back from injury. jetta was sorely missed. every good team has a shocker tho at some stage, so the guys should hopefully bounce back next week. bring on carlton!!

hot potato
22nd June 2013, 10:05 PM
Maybe The Crows were more trashy, and Port are the stronger unit ATM.

Captain
22nd June 2013, 10:06 PM
Armstrong is a total dud.

White isn't much better. Tough day for forwards but he won't get a game when Mummy and Reid are fit.

Gee I really reckon we missed Mummy. Said the same when the Hawks flogged us. Really love the Pyke/Mummy combo.

ScottH
22nd June 2013, 10:25 PM
Mumford has played in 1 loss and 1 draw this year. All others are wins. Win rate 85%
We haven't lost a game with Everitt playing this year. Win rate of 93% (He played in the draw)

Last year it was the very similar.
Everitt had 83% win rate in 2012, only 2 losses from 12 games.
Mumford had 82% win rate in 2012, only 3 losses from 17 games.
The players that played every game last year had a win rate of 76%, 6 losses from 25 games.

Ludwig
22nd June 2013, 10:36 PM
I was really hoping that White would follow up with a good game. It was a difficult day for key forwards and Port's defenders were solid. Unless we are prepared to use Tippett in the ruck next week, I imagine White will have to play another game. I think it was a team loss more than any particular poor performances. Grundy's bad handball in the 4th slammed the door on us.

I'd like to see Lamb get a full game next week. But we probably won't know who's playing until we get the injury report. The ressies thread said Towers played well today.

juliec
22nd June 2013, 10:44 PM
Armstrong out, as soon as I see him in the side, I think he weakens us so much.

How many times do you hear the commentators say "The Swans Love The Wet"

I think this one was just a shocker all round for us, I am sure we will bounce back from this, we had too many players down today, but definitely want Armstrong out.

Melbournehammer
22nd June 2013, 10:50 PM
Armstrong was not a total dud. He was beaten. But so was smith who never looked like he wanted the ball. Who is the better player - the experienced player or the inexperienced one.

We play in a competition with limited lists and a salary cap. Not every player is going to be a superstar. But he did about as we'll as our well paid best defenders.

We need shaw back back that is because shaw is clearly a very good afl standard player but let's not bitch and stick the knife in every single time !

My own view is that our defense has been under pressure for a long time but our midfield has been keeping us in it. On days like today where our midfield is beaten a lot of our defenders can look second rate.

Dosser
22nd June 2013, 11:51 PM
I'd like to see in: Rohan, Jetta, Reid, LRT, Mummy, Shaw, AJ, Everitt and Mattner.

hot potato
22nd June 2013, 11:53 PM
To label Armstrong so derisively is a bit rich, he went and got more ball than many others. There are going to be plenty of mistakes made in those conditions and with the 'nothing to lose' mentality of PP, which happened to come off on this occasion .
They will dine out on it for a fair while.
HP

Melbourne_Blood
22nd June 2013, 11:59 PM
In: ferocious attack, immense pressure, executing skills, spread from contests, sticking tackles . Out: Piss poor attitude, playing like millionaires, showing no fight. And Armstrong.

Captain
23rd June 2013, 08:20 AM
Armstrong was not a total dud. He was beaten. But so was smith who never looked like he wanted the ball. Who is the better player - the experienced player or the inexperienced one.

Smith is not soft. Smith doesn't turn the ball over most of the time. The comparison is laughable.

dimelb
23rd June 2013, 09:13 AM
Armstrong is noted for his accurate field kicking. I watched drop-jawed as he lined up a kick with minimum pressure on him and put it straight on the chest of a Port player.

23rd June 2013, 09:22 AM
Folks, we aint got anyone to come in so nobody is going to get dropped.

As a previous poster noted, from the Greatness 2012 side we are missing AJ, Mattner, Shaw, LRT, Mumford, Reid, Jetta and also the much improved Everitt. That's a fair chunk of a side missing, eight it total.

We have only added this year Mitchell, Tippett and Rampe so we are at least five down, nearly a quarter of a side so in an even competition we will get exposed by teams like Poor Power. We desperately need a couple more to step up to AFL standard and at this point in time I don't believe any are,

The worry is whether we can get back sufficient of the missing to make it deep into September again. So let's not get hysterical about yesterday's loss, it was always on the cards when the injury list grew again in the last fortnight.

Melbournehammer
23rd June 2013, 10:44 AM
Smith is not soft. Smith doesn't turn the ball over most of the time. The comparison is laughable.

what is soft is coming on a website anonymously and labelling players duds. The game should be noted for what it was. Armstrong was willing to take the ball and turned it over. smith didnt want it, but was just as fumbly as anyone on the day.

i am not saying smith is soft. he is a very very good defender. but he doesnt often want the ball and his delivery at times is awful. but he gets it less than others so it isnt as obvious as reg.

i am just sick of people bagging players, particularly in the games where people would struggle to find ANY winners on the day. To then turn around and bag individuals I have come to realise is pathetic.

The bigger question is what went wrong and what can you do about this ? We can always blame jesse white and armstrong and whoever the last on first off is that we want.

but longmire was right i think - the problem was downfield and it was the midfield which was absolutely putrid. we couldnt clear the ball all day, lobbe beat pyke comprehensively on the day, and we were beaten on both the inside and outside. there was very little run other than from jack.

lest it be thought it was only our midfielders the forwards and coaches got beaten. the half forward line of white, mcglynn and bolton was terrible and as we were chasing the game in the last quarter the stupid structural system of tippett and white on the wing with the half forwards back inside fifty meant that we kicked it long and the ball rebounded so quickly. so coaching deserves some criticism for the strategy when we were in trouble.

equally, none of the defenders deserves a pat on the back. they trailed their men, dropped marks, fell off tackles, kept handpassing backwards to persons in worse positions and failed to shepherd at all effectively when doing so. we couldnt clear it, couldnt kick it couldnt hand pass it and couldnt mark it. And it was across the board. we looked slow, and port looked like from the second quarter onwards that they thought they really could win it and we ceased looking like we thought we would win in the third quarter - and we didnt really have anyone step into the breach.

it reminded me of the north loss when we conceded was it ten goals in the final quarter. we stopped looking like we knew how to win and knew how to use the ball or even to get it. we would have been out of the game at three quarter time if we hadnt been kicking with the breeze and each port player missed from 40 metres out having marked inside fifty.

it was a bad game all round. stop bagging the weaker players.

Ludwig
23rd June 2013, 11:47 AM
I have an American friend that I have introduced Aussie Rules to. He has commented many times what a totally different game wet weather footy is to dry weather footy. We tried to play dry weather footy yesterday. You can't have a game plan where you expect to let the ball constantly come into your defensive end and explode out of there with a string of possessions and score at the other end. Ain't gunna happen.

It was like we were playing against the 2005 Swans. They wouldn't give up. And they killed us off in the last 15 minutes of the game. I hate wet weather footy. It generally favours the weaker team. It becomes a bit of a crap shoot. You just have to put yourself in a position to score as often as possible by the luck of the bounce of the ball. We need to have another game plan for wet conditions if we expect to win those sort of games. We became intoxicated with how well were executing our game plan in the previous weeks and didn't adjust to the change of conditions.

I don't blame the loss on injuries.Our best players didn't play well. Port were missing Travis Boak in conditions that would have suited him.

We should learn something from this game. I think we will smash Carlton regardless of personnel.

Jeynez
23rd June 2013, 12:39 PM
Hopefully this game is simply a one-off. It honestly looked like to me our players went into this game thinking Port were another bye-week. I don't think we should single out players when our entire team played poorly. Not sure what changes we could make given all the injuries. I guess (if fit) the obvious ones would be:

In: Reid, Everitt, Jetta
Out: Goodes, Armstrong, Lamb

However, I still believe we can easily account for Carlton regardless of our players, just need bring back the run and tackling pressure.

GongSwan
23rd June 2013, 01:02 PM
I hate games this wet, it'sa lottery and just too hard to judge individual performaces

stellation
23rd June 2013, 01:16 PM
I hate games this wet, it'sa lottery and just too hard to judge individual performaces
It's funny, isn't it. Apart from it just being wet, the ground really looked to be holding a lot of water on the surface and not draining at all well that compounded things and then the wind seemed to be just completely crazy.

ernie koala
23rd June 2013, 03:15 PM
It's funny, isn't it. Apart from it just being wet, the ground really looked to be holding a lot of water on the surface and not draining at all well that compounded things and then the wind seemed to be just completely crazy.

Maybe they watered the ground overnight.....And plugged up the drains.....I wouldn't put it past them.

RogueSwan
23rd June 2013, 03:36 PM
Again, everyone is looking at the last one in as though that is the reason we lost. The reason we, IMO, lost is that about half the team were just not good enough yesterday, not because Armstrong/ latest culprit played.

Bloodthirsty
23rd June 2013, 06:12 PM
Armstrong has to come out. However, if Goodes doesn't pull up, who the $#&% is going to come in if no one has recovered from the injury??

You would hope Everitt pulls up if Reid and Jetta don't. But if Goodes misses, this solves nothing.

Dosser
23rd June 2013, 06:15 PM
Armstrong has to come out. However, if Goodes doesn't pull up, who the $#&% is going to come in if no one has recovered from the injury??

You would hope Everitt pulls up if Reid and Jetta don't. But if Goodes misses, this solves nothing.

Rohan has started running again...

Doctor
23rd June 2013, 08:20 PM
Yes we were outenthused but you can't read too much into the game because of he playing surface. In the dry we'd have been 6 goals up at half time and cruised to victory. This was not "playing in the wet". This was playing in a swimming pool.

annew
23rd June 2013, 09:02 PM
Now I think Brisbane winning after being 52 points down just before 3/4 time is a bigger upset than swans losing. Don't feel so bad now.

Doctor J.
23rd June 2013, 09:18 PM
Now I think Brisbane winning after being 52 points down just before 3/4 time is a bigger upset than swans losing. Don't feel so bad now.

Brisbane winning has made me even more depressed about losing to port!! We'd be 2pts of 2nd if we won

Captain
23rd June 2013, 10:36 PM
what is soft is coming on a website anonymously and labelling players duds. The game should be noted for what it was. Armstrong was willing to take the ball and turned it over. smith didnt want it, but was just as fumbly as anyone on the day.

i am not saying smith is soft. he is a very very good defender. but he doesnt often want the ball and his delivery at times is awful. but he gets it less than others so it isnt as obvious as reg.

i am just sick of people bagging players, particularly in the games where people would struggle to find ANY winners on the day. To then turn around and bag individuals I have come to realise is pathetic.

The bigger question is what went wrong and what can you do about this ? We can always blame jesse white and armstrong and whoever the last on first off is that we want.

but longmire was right i think - the problem was downfield and it was the midfield which was absolutely putrid. we couldnt clear the ball all day, lobbe beat pyke comprehensively on the day, and we were beaten on both the inside and outside. there was very little run other than from jack.

lest it be thought it was only our midfielders the forwards and coaches got beaten. the half forward line of white, mcglynn and bolton was terrible and as we were chasing the game in the last quarter the stupid structural system of tippett and white on the wing with the half forwards back inside fifty meant that we kicked it long and the ball rebounded so quickly. so coaching deserves some criticism for the strategy when we were in trouble.

equally, none of the defenders deserves a pat on the back. they trailed their men, dropped marks, fell off tackles, kept handpassing backwards to persons in worse positions and failed to shepherd at all effectively when doing so. we couldnt clear it, couldnt kick it couldnt hand pass it and couldnt mark it. And it was across the board. we looked slow, and port looked like from the second quarter onwards that they thought they really could win it and we ceased looking like we thought we would win in the third quarter - and we didnt really have anyone step into the breach.

it reminded me of the north loss when we conceded was it ten goals in the final quarter. we stopped looking like we knew how to win and knew how to use the ball or even to get it. we would have been out of the game at three quarter time if we hadnt been kicking with the breeze and each port player missed from 40 metres out having marked inside fifty.

How often have I bagged a player in all of the years of coming on here? Fact is, Armstrong isn't up to AFL standard and is only getting a game by default. As a person he might be a legend. As a footballer he is a dud and I will be surprised if he stays on the list when his contract is up.

It wasn't his fault that we lost, but he contributed to it. Terrible field kicking and poor pressure on the opposition from a fringe player isn't good enough.

Again, no idea why you are bringing Smith into it.

liz
24th June 2013, 01:27 AM
Armstrong has some attributes, but defending against very quick, agile forwards isn't one of them. Neade was dancing all around him.

He does have some straight line pace, however, and we're sadly lacking that on the wing at the moment, with Jetta out injured. So it might be good to move Armstrong up the ground to play a more offensive role this week. The main problem is that there is no-one else to even try to play on Gartlett (assuming Smith takes Betts). Garlett hasn't been in great form for the past few weeks but he can be very dangerous if allowed to run free.

ugg
24th June 2013, 11:08 AM
Armstrong has some attributes, but defending against very quick, agile forwards isn't one of them. Neade was dancing all around him.

He does have some straight line pace, however, and we're sadly lacking that on the wing at the moment, with Jetta out injured. So it might be good to move Armstrong up the ground to play a more offensive role this week. The main problem is that there is no-one else to even try to play on Gartlett (assuming Smith takes Betts). Garlett hasn't been in great form for the past few weeks but he can be very dangerous if allowed to run free.

How about Cunningham (assuming fitness is okay). He has the pace and has had a year of learning the defensive mindset as a tagger in the reserves last year. They tried him as a rebounding defender in the preseason and in the reserves this year before his injury although not exclusively as a small shutdown defender (but neither did Smith during his reserves stint. It's not exactly a role that comes up that often at NEAFL level)

Ludwig
24th June 2013, 12:23 PM
How about Cunningham (assuming fitness is okay). He has the pace and has had a year of learning the defensive mindset as a tagger in the reserves last year. They tried him as a rebounding defender in the preseason and in the reserves this year before his injury although not exclusively as a small shutdown defender (but neither did Smith during his reserves stint. It's not exactly a role that comes up that often at NEAFL level)

I'd give Harry a go vs Garlett, ahead of Armstrong.

Jewels
24th June 2013, 02:09 PM

Perfect summation of the game in my opinion. I am not one to bag Longmire but he was as much to blame as the (very weak) players. Hinkley coached his side brilliantly and after quarter time had all the answers and it appeared to me after punishing myself and watching it twice, that Longmire was of the "she'll be right" mind set and just assumed we would wear them down.

ugg
24th June 2013, 03:14 PM
Goodes out of this game. "hopefully" one week.

The Big Cat
24th June 2013, 03:17 PM
Goodes out of this game. "hopefully" one week.

Credible source?

ernie koala
24th June 2013, 03:20 PM
Ugg generally gets it right.....he's a credible source himself!

ugg
24th June 2013, 03:32 PM
Twitter / sydneyswans: John Longmire says Adam Goodes ... (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/349014710076702720)

Ludwig
24th June 2013, 03:44 PM
We might as well give Adam the next 3 weeks off. No need to play him against the Dees and Giants.

We are a bit lucky that our injury list is slightly balanced out vs Carton due to the loss of Marc Murphy. It will be the 2nd week in a row that we play against a team without their captain, hopefully not with the same result.

Chookbilly
24th June 2013, 04:26 PM
Assuming Reid & Jetta still not right.

In - Everitt (Membrey if Everitt not fit)

Out - Goodes

Lamb to get a full gig, & Armstrong as the sub.
White survives only due to the lack of Mummy/LRT, and Tippett still requiring match fitness.
If Armstrong gets the chop, would like to see Towers while Shaw is still out.

GordonS
24th June 2013, 04:31 PM
longmire said reid and jetta WILL NOT play and everitt MIGHT come back. this was right at the end of the press conference. looks like a new kid will get an opportunity this week

Ludwig
24th June 2013, 04:47 PM
Funny what a big inclusion Dre would be. Who would have thought?

Cressakel2
24th June 2013, 04:51 PM
Fair chance Membrey will come in for Goodes. IF Everritt doesn't get up, I hope the selection committee look at Towers for a bit of run and dash out of the backline. If anyone is a perfect replacement of Marty, it's Towers. Even looks like Marty. In - Membrey & Everritt/Towers. Out - Goodes & Armstrong.

Suggest Goodes will be out for 4-5 weeks with PCL injury. The Swans medico's are a conservative lot at this time of year.

These injuries have got to stop! It's getting to 1997 and 2004 levels....

What's most concerning is Jetta. Shin soreness that has now become a four week injury. That's a lot of soreness in a very skinny shin! What's going on there...?

The Big Cat
24th June 2013, 05:13 PM
What's most concerning is Jetta. Shin soreness that has now become a four week injury. That's a lot of soreness in a very skinny shin! What's going on there...?

I suspect Jetta has been carrying this all year. Explains his lack of run in early games.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect Jetta has been carrying this all year. Explains his lack of run in early games.

Dosser
24th June 2013, 05:28 PM
How is this for a team?
XXX LRT XXX
Shaw Johnson Mattner
Jetta Rohan Everitt
XXX Reid XXX
XXX Walsh XXX
Followers - Mumford, Goodes, XXX

ernie koala
24th June 2013, 05:45 PM
WHAT I HOPE:

OUT : Goodes , Armstrong

IN : Everitt, Towers( as sub)

WHAT I THINK :

OUT: Goodes

IN : Everitt

No other change, with Lamb to sub AGAIN.

Ludwig
24th June 2013, 06:04 PM
Our injury list is long, but we are not the only ones. Freo is probably worse off than us, but have done very well nonetheless. The Pies have had some big name injuries as have Geelong. The WCE have had a revolving door with injuries and now look set to lose Hurn for 8 weeks and Scott Selwood also may miss our match with them as well.

Despite our injuries our Defence is still solid, our midfield hasn't been seriously hit by injury and we are lucky to be able to bring in a Kurt Tippett to boost our forward line. We still look more than capable enough to knock off Carlton. Then we have a couple of easy games and hopefully get back of few of the injured.

Bloodthirsty
24th June 2013, 06:19 PM
How is this for a team?
XXX LRT XXX
Shaw Johnson Mattner
Jetta Rohan Everitt
XXX Reid XXX
XXX Walsh XXX

This is just about the Post of the Year.

- - - Updated - - -

...I still can't stop laughing.

- - - Updated - - -

In a good way, of course. It's unbeleiveable when you look at the team that way.

dimelb
24th June 2013, 06:38 PM
How is this for a team?
XXX LRT XXX
Shaw Johnson Mattner
Jetta Rohan Everitt
XXX Reid XXX
XXX Walsh XXX

I think it's a bit early to give Xavier all that responsibility.
I'd like to see Membrey in for Goodes and Harry for Tony A. Lamb to play a full match and Dre as sub if fit, if not then let's blood Towers.

Nico
24th June 2013, 06:44 PM
Armstrong is noted for his accurate field kicking. I watched drop-jawed as he lined up a kick with minimum pressure on him and put it straight on the chest of a Port player.

He is a poor option off half back. His kicks are short and often to the wrong part of the ground. When he has the ball in his hands we give the opposition a chance.

Rob-bloods
24th June 2013, 08:12 PM
it is interesting to me that Armstrong is the player singled out, he is not a regular, the conditions were not ideal for him, the team was hopeless all round and if Grundy was dropped every time he gave the ball direct to the opposiiton (in dry weather) he'd never play again.

stellation
24th June 2013, 08:32 PM
I think it's a bit early to give Xavier all that responsibility.
:rofl

johnno
24th June 2013, 08:49 PM
How is this for a team?
XXX LRT XXX
Shaw Johnson Mattner
Jetta Rohan Everitt
XXX Reid XXX
XXX Walsh XXX

WOW.....just WOW!!!!:eek:

Ludwig
24th June 2013, 09:30 PM
It just shows that we do have a lot of depth. We can have all these players out and we are still heavy favourites to beat Carlton.

annew
24th June 2013, 09:57 PM
Well I am not confident about any game after our game and the Geelong game at the weekend.

Captain
24th June 2013, 10:42 PM
it is interesting to me that Armstrong is the player singled out, he is not a regular, the conditions were not ideal for him, the team was hopeless all round and if Grundy was dropped every time he gave the ball direct to the opposiiton (in dry weather) he'd never play again.

?? Grundy beats his man week in, week out, is one of the best defenders going around and always gets a lot of the ball. I don't think he turns the ball over very much at all.

crackedactor
24th June 2013, 10:46 PM
it is interesting to me that Armstrong is the player singled out, he is not a regular, the conditions were not ideal for him, the team was hopeless all round and if Grundy was dropped every time he gave the ball direct to the opposiiton (in dry weather) he'd never play again. I think Armstrong has let us down too many times, his decision making is poor and he is a bit on the slow side for a small guy. I surprised that no one has mentioned Brandon Jack. I thought he played all right against Adelaide for the one quarter he was on. His pace would be handy against guys like Betts and Garlett.

Rod_
24th June 2013, 11:00 PM
Cunningham and Everitt in for Goodes and Armstrong

While I agree that Armstrong has not improved from last year, I am tempted to leave him in the side for experience..

Rod _

hot potato
25th June 2013, 12:53 AM
Well there will be no changes in the conditions, they will be training all week with wet balls, so by Friday night they should be clever mud larks
And beat The Blues.
HP

25th June 2013, 01:41 AM
It just shows that we do have a lot of depth. We can have all these players out and we are still heavy favourites to beat Carlton.

Bookies don't know everything, I'm very tempted by the $3.30 on offer for Carton, that's way too generous. Same way $7.50 was way too generous for Poor Power last weekend at home on a slippery windy day against a very depleted Swans. I couldn't resist having $30 on them and had a nice collect although would have preferred a monetary loss.

This week is 50/50 IMO, Goodes out replaced probably by as good as a firsat gamer. Got no idea how we are going to control their small forwards.

Melbournehammer
25th June 2013, 07:43 AM
We control their small forwards by controlling the ball. But that is the worry. Are we good enough without goodes and mummy to beat a pretty decent midfield so comprehensively ? And won't chaos kicks forwards be a real problem. ?

I wonder whether we should actually be outsiders in this game

Rob-bloods
25th June 2013, 07:49 AM
?? Grundy beats his man week in, week out, is one of the best defenders going around and always gets a lot of the ball. I don't think he turns the ball over very much at all.

He goes to ground too easily too often and makes very elementary mistakes under pressure, I just do not agree with your summation, IMO he is goodish but not great.

caj23
25th June 2013, 01:34 PM

This

I don't comprehend all of the Grundy hate on this (and the other) site, an absolute pillar of our defence.

The fact is that with the high number of inside 50s we concede to the opposition our defence is under pressure alot and Grundy is one of the go to men when rebounding, on occasion he is going to turn it over.

The one late in the game on Saturday looked terrible but the game was as good as over and he'd been repelling attacks all day. Simple fact is that a defender is going to look bad when the midfielders are getting flogged so badly

ShockOfHair
25th June 2013, 01:55 PM
Interesting factoid:

4. Mick Malthouse will coach against the Swans for the 45th time in his long career, currently boasting 27 wins. But he hasn't coached at the SCG since round four, 2000, just his fourth game in charge of Collingwood.

Cressakel2
25th June 2013, 02:03 PM
I reckon our midfield will destroy Carlton's meek midfield - particularly without Marc Murphy. Now it will come down to whether the likes of Morton, Benny Mc, White & Tippo can take advantage of the centre clearances.

And whether our backline can stop Betts, Garlett, Waite & co. That's the worry. They will be pumped to remain in the hunt for the 8.

Are we hungry enough to remain a chance for top 2? I think/hope we are - even with 8 of our best 22 not playing.

Triple B
25th June 2013, 02:23 PM
Betts and Garlett are a big worry this week. Betts is one of the few players that has got hold of Smooch over the years, particularly the game in the wet at the SCG a few years back.

Whats worse is Smooch is in the first poor stretch of his career at the minute. I thought he was clearly beaten by Winderlich and Callinan before the bye and again on the weekend.

If our midfield dominates we will be OK, but if the ball keeps coming in regularly, this game has me worried...

rojo
25th June 2013, 02:33 PM
Port are crowing about shutting down Hanners all match, McVeigh after half time and Malceski, as one of the main reasons for their win. We only had Kennedy stand up but his disposal effectiveness was not good, and Jack. I expect ROK and the other mids were playing defensively. Goodesy wasn't too bad but if those 3 playmakers were to be shut down again we need at least one more outside mid to step up - Benny? or maybe give BJ another crack? I'm not a great fan of Everitt but I agree with some others that he could make a difference this week with all the others out, if available.

Mountain Man
25th June 2013, 06:50 PM
What is the timing/playing location for the Reserves this weekend?

With the miserable weather we are having in Sydney at the moment, presumably they will not play on the SCG as a preliminary match on Friday night.

Triple B
25th June 2013, 06:58 PM
It's on at BISP (Blacktown) 2pm start. Gates at SCG now open at 6pm.

ugg
25th June 2013, 07:51 PM
Pretty early call to make. At least they've given us some time to make the trek across town

wolftone57
25th June 2013, 08:25 PM
Betts and Garlett are a big worry this week. Betts is one of the few players that has got hold of Smooch over the years, particularly the game in the wet at the SCG a few years back.

Whats worse is Smooch is in the first poor stretch of his career at the minute. I thought he was clearly beaten by Winderlich and Callinan before the bye and again on the weekend.

If our midfield dominates we will be OK, but if the ball keeps coming in regularly, this game has me worried...

I would play Smooch on Garlett and Rampe on Betts. Dane can go with him and he is pretty good I the air and that is where Betts gets Smooch. Dre will get the third tall be it Robinson or someone else, they constantly switch their forward and back lines, as in Walker, Robinson, etc.

We need to make sure the roles of Mitchell and Parker are not at cross purposes, in other words not on ball at the same time if possible. Bird may have to play forward I think.

Tony A was terrible against Port, he botched almost everything he kicked. He is normally so good with his delivery but did not handle the conditions at all and seemed all at sea, pardon the pun I know it was wet.

In: Dre

Out: Tony A

Sub: Jude

ugg
25th June 2013, 08:35 PM
A wet game in the tight confined spaces of the SCG and you want to bench Jude? There couldn't be a more perfect set of conditions for him

chalbilto
25th June 2013, 10:41 PM
I would play Smooch on Garlett and Rampe on Betts. Dane can go with him and he is pretty good I the air and that is where Betts gets Smooch. Dre will get the third tall be it Robinson or someone else, they constantly switch their forward and back lines, as in Walker, Robinson, etc.

We need to make sure the roles of Mitchell and Parker are not at cross purposes, in other words not on ball at the same time if possible. Bird may have to play forward I think.

Tony A was terrible against Port, he botched almost everything he kicked. He is normally so good with his delivery but did not handle the conditions at all and seemed all at sea, pardon the pun I know it was wet.

In: Dre

Out: Tony A

Sub: Jude

Agree with your comments about Armstrong, as we comments made by other posters. I don't think he is up to the required standard needed.
By the way who do you have replacing Goodes?

wolftone57
25th June 2013, 11:13 PM
Agree with your comments about Armstrong, as we comments made by other posters. I don't think he is up to the required standard needed.
By the way who do you have replacing Goodes?

Probably Membrey or Towers. Ugg, Jude hasn't played well in either wet game this year. It is about what is happening now not what happened in the dark ages LOL. Jude has got 11, 12 & 16 in the wet so far for 1.1. He started the season really in hot form but has tapered off at this stage Ugg. He hasn't had any influence on the outcome of any wet game this year so far.

liz
25th June 2013, 11:14 PM
Pretty early call to make. At least they've given us some time to make the trek across town

Not much good for those of us who work in the city but had a decent chance of leaving work at 3.30pmish to get to the SCG. No way I can get away in time to make the trek out to Blacktown for 2pm.

wolftone57
25th June 2013, 11:30 PM
I think if the weather is fairly good I will make the trek out to Blacktown. The only problem I have is getting from the station to Blacktown Sports Park. I will look it up on line.

ugg
26th June 2013, 12:13 AM
Not much good for those of us who work in the city but had a decent chance of leaving work at 3.30pmish to get to the SCG. No way I can get away in time to make the trek out to Blacktown for 2pm.
Just take a really loooooooong lunch that somehow segues into early Friday drinks. Done.

ernie koala
26th June 2013, 12:14 AM
A wet game in the tight confined spaces of the SCG and you want to bench Jude? There couldn't be a more perfect set of conditions for him

Given none of our injuries are to Jude type players....I think he should be sub...It's not a total demotion, it's a new role, just ask Gia at the Doggies.

Jude's not having the impact he used to, IMO, sub could be just the right move for him at this stage.

He has the smarts to have a real impact in the late stages. And if required early, due to an injury, that would be no problem for him.

Ludwig
26th June 2013, 12:52 AM
Given none of our injuries are to Jude type players....I think he should be sub...It's not a total demotion, it's a new role, just ask Gia at the Doggies.

Jude's not having the impact he used to, IMO, sub could be just the right move for him at this stage.

He has the smarts to have a real impact in the late stages. And if required early, due to an injury, that would be no problem for him.

I agree with this.

I was thinking how a fresh Jude Bolton could have influenced the game against Port, coming on in the 4th qtr when the game was on the line. I think there is great value in bringing in an experienced player who knows what it takes to make an impact on a game. It's a big responsibility to give to a young inexperienced player like a Jed Lamb.

How often do you see a high profile soccer player subbed late into the game only to score the winning goal. The use of the substitute will evolve and the way the Dogs have used Gia is the way I think it is heading.

Bloodthirsty
26th June 2013, 12:16 PM
Are we confident we should win despite our injury toll? Or is our injury toll not as relevant to winning this match as our attitude and gameplan? I was dreading the Collingwood - Essendon - Crows stretch, and look what happened. I am hoping that the same result ensues.

Does B. Jack get a run in the wet if Jetta doesn't pull up? Wouldn't have thought we desperately needed another full time forward to cover Goodes, given the forward line hasn't been the problem, plus we have midfield firepower. Bit of run on a heavy track?

- - - Updated - - -

Are we confident we should win despite our injury toll? Or is our injury toll not as relevant to winning this match as our attitude and gameplan? I was dreading the Collingwood - Essendon - Crows stretch, and look what happened. I am hoping that the same result ensues.

Does B. Jack get a run in the wet if Jetta doesn't pull up? Wouldn't have thought we desperately needed another full time forward to cover Goodes, given the forward line hasn't been the problem, plus we have midfield firepower. Bit of run on a heavy track?

Cheer_Cheer
26th June 2013, 02:22 PM
If we lose this game how is a top 4 position looking ?

Swansongster
27th June 2013, 09:33 AM
We control their small forwards by controlling the ball. But that is the worry. Are we good enough without goodes and mummy to beat a pretty decent midfield so comprehensively ? And won't chaos kicks forwards be a real problem. ?

I wonder whether we should actually be outsiders in this game

Then there is the Malthouse curse.

caj23
27th June 2013, 09:42 AM
Then there is the Malthouse curse.

Has had more losses than wins as a coach against the Swans (by 1)

Swansongster
27th June 2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks for that stat. Reassuring.

Can you tell me when the last time was that the Swans won against a Malthouse-coached team and what the record shows for the last 10 games or so (too lazy to look myself)?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that stat. Reassuring.

Can you tell me when the last time was that the Swans won against a Malthouse-coached team and what the record shows for the last 10 games or so (too lazy to look myself)?

Plugger46
27th June 2013, 01:56 PM
It was 2005. We didn't beat them again til Buckley took over (prelim).

There would have been 10 losses in a row.

Bloodthirsty
27th June 2013, 02:42 PM
Collingwood did, and still does, have a much better list than Carlton.

Swansongster
27th June 2013, 03:01 PM

True. However, he always stated that he knew how to beat Sydney and that would appear to be borne out in his (recent) coaching record against us.

Nevertheless, I believe the Port game was an abomination and that, even with a long list of outs, we should be able to account for Carlton at home tomorrow night.

Selections will be interesting.

I'd like to see BJ in for Goodes (as sub with Lamb taking Goodes' role). Everitt in for Armstrong (Membrey if Dre unfit).

Maybe even (as suggested elsewhere) Jack to start with Bolton on the bench (but I doubt it).

I hope Chops gets a full game.

- - - Updated - - -

True. However, he always stated that he knew how to beat Sydney and that would appear to be borne out in his (recent) coaching record against us.

Nevertheless, I believe the Port game was an abomination and that, even with a long list of outs, we should be able to account for Carlton at home tomorrow night.

Selections will be interesting.

I'd like to see BJ in for Goodes (as sub with Lamb taking Goodes' role). Everitt in for Armstrong (Membrey if Dre unfit).

Maybe even (as suggested elsewhere) Jack to start with Bolton on the bench (but I doubt it).

I hope Chops gets a full game.

caj23
27th June 2013, 03:28 PM
Horse's game plan is very different from when Malthouse was last coaching.

Plus he generally had better cattle, nothing to do with his coaching genius

Plugger46
27th June 2013, 03:47 PM
Horse's game plan is very different from when Malthouse was last coaching.

Plus he generally had better cattle, nothing to do with his coaching genius

Agree with the first part.

Not so sure about the second. '06-'08 we were at least as good or better. He knew how to beat us then.

jono2707
27th June 2013, 04:42 PM
By rights we should smash them in the midfield this time around. On the SCG, that's the most important pointer to us winning...

caj23
27th June 2013, 05:18 PM
Anyone want to guess the changes this week?

I would like

In: Everitt Towers (barely deserves it but injuries stacking up, Cunningham if he had match fitness)
Out: Goodes Armstrong (plays too light for a wet game)

Jude sub

but more likely to be:

In: Everitt
Out: Lamb

Plugger46
27th June 2013, 05:30 PM
In: Everitt
Out: Goodes

The Big Cat
27th June 2013, 05:56 PM
If it's wet then drop White. Tippett can pinch hit in the ruck.

DK_
27th June 2013, 06:33 PM
Out: Goodes Armstrong
In: Everitt Cunningham
Sub: Cunningham
Lamb on interchange

stellation
27th June 2013, 06:52 PM
If it's wet then drop White. Tippett can pinch hit in the ruck.
Not to be too pro-Jesse, and I get the idea of not wanting to be too tall in the wet- but they're taking a big chance if they drop Jesse and assume that Kurt is ready to go as backup ruck on a heavy ground.

longmile
27th June 2013, 06:54 PM
Im fearful for this game ... Carlton are always a bit random and Mick sure has had us figured out in the recent past and so many of our good players are injured and our depth isnt what we thought it was.
But in saying that I'd put Everitt in for Goodes and maybe drop Armstrong for B Jack to be sub

Bloodthirsty
27th June 2013, 07:30 PM
By rights we should smash them in the midfield this time around. On the SCG, that's the most important pointer to us winning...

I agree. However by rights we should have smashed Port in the midfield too.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is:

In: A.Everitt, B.Jack
Out: T.Armstrong, A.Goodes (knee)

I think they made the best choices, considering.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is:

In: A.Everitt, B.Jack
Out: T.Armstrong, A.Goodes (knee)

I think they made the best choices, considering.

ugg
27th June 2013, 07:33 PM
Emg: Armstrong, Membrey, X.Richards

Melbourne_Blood
27th June 2013, 07:33 PM
So at least we will see either lamb or Jack get a proper run. Probably Lamb considering he's waited so long for a chance

ernie koala
27th June 2013, 07:34 PM
Yep, that looks good to me.

I guess B Jack will be sub....Which means Lamb will get a full game...

Happy about that, look forward to seeing how he goes over 4 quarters.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that looks good to me.

I guess B Jack will be sub....Which means Lamb will get a full game...

Happy about that, look forward to seeing how he goes over 4 quarters.

Doctor
27th June 2013, 07:56 PM
Sensible team selection. Everitt fit so Armstrong drops out - sticks with our usual structural selection process. Lamb deserves a full game (or the 3/4 he gets before Jack replaces him) as the next cab off the rank with Goodes out.

swansrob
27th June 2013, 08:01 PM
Can't complain with these selections. Glad Lamb finally (presumably) gets a full run.

wolftone57
27th June 2013, 08:23 PM
The selections stand to reason. Glad to see Dre back we missed him last week. Young Brandon will add to the speed in the second half. Lamby for a big game.

hot potato
27th June 2013, 09:41 PM
Despite all the injuries, it still looks a pretty settled team.
It hasn't been as wet in Sydney as predicted, so with a full house, Swans to control the midfield and bounce back.
HP

Nico
27th June 2013, 10:15 PM
Hope Lamb plays well so he doesn't get a roasting from the coach.

crackedactor
27th June 2013, 10:46 PM
Hope Lamb plays well so he doesn't get a roasting from the coach.I am just hoping he does not get done like a dinner!

ScottH
27th June 2013, 11:10 PM
Might be a bit tender if he shanks.

DeadlyAkkuret
28th June 2013, 01:18 AM
Oh no..

Melbourne_Blood
28th June 2013, 08:53 AM
^ my thoughts also

Bloodthirsty
28th June 2013, 10:47 AM
Those jokes just got lambasted by fellow RWOers.

caj23
28th June 2013, 10:49 AM
Amazing what a premiership can do - everyone happy with the changes each week :smile:

FWIW good changes IMO

Bloodthirsty
28th June 2013, 10:51 AM
Do the wet conditions help or hinder us? Is it going to be the unfortunate skill-nullifier that Port were fortunate enough to have, or are we ironically better placed for this must-win game having played in the wet 6 days ago?

DK_
28th June 2013, 11:50 AM
Do the wet conditions help or hinder us? Is it going to be the unfortunate skill-nullifier that Port were fortunate enough to have, or are we ironically better placed for this must-win game having played in the wet 6 days ago?

I suspect (hope?) it's in our favour - the wet favours the side that brings more pressure to bear around the football and that's not Carlton's style. The Swans will be desperate to show they won't be out-pressured after last week's game.

Plugger46
28th June 2013, 12:01 PM
How wet is it up there?
We were pretty ordinary in the wet last week.

Triple B
28th June 2013, 12:14 PM
How wet is it up there?

It's very wet. Has just been constant for over a week and I drove past the SCG 2 hrs ago coming to work and it was still throwing it down. The centre square/cricket pitch area will be very sticky.

GordonS
28th June 2013, 12:28 PM
but the scg has way better drainage than that hopeless aami stadium. it was practically a swimming pool last week

CJK
28th June 2013, 01:00 PM
This rain....

ScottH
28th June 2013, 01:10 PM
Beautiful sunny day in Melbourne!!
;)

Plugger46
28th June 2013, 01:23 PM
Does it ever stop raining up there?

wolftone57
28th June 2013, 01:24 PM
How wet is it up there?

It isn't wet it is down right flooding. I am getting a boat to the SCG tonight, I used to live on a bus route but now it is a ferry port LOL. Lilyfield Ferry Port, has a nice ring to it but gees it happened so fast. it is so wet my cat is using a plastic cutting board as a surfboard to get around.

Quick find out if any of the players have webbed feet and if they aren't in the line up make them last minute inclusions.

Matimbo
28th June 2013, 01:36 PM
Definitely going to be a soggy track. I'm looking out the window from my office in Nth Syd at lunchtime Fri and the cloud is so low I can barely see the city. May not actually be raining tonight, but it certainly won't have dried out much.

Re the Swans in the wet ... media keeps on saying we are noted mud runners but I think they have the previous generation stuck in their heads. Whi.e we still are the same tough clearance team, the wet definitely doesn't help our slingshot. Having said that, our mids will be out to make amends for last week and I think that alone will get us over the line tonight.

Aaron
28th June 2013, 02:02 PM
You can check via a live web-camera
at
http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/venues/webcams/scg-scoreboard-cam/

Bloodthirsty
28th June 2013, 02:18 PM
at

Is that on during matches?

Swansongster
28th June 2013, 02:29 PM
at

Have those seats been sold for tonight's game?

Auntie.Gerald
28th June 2013, 03:47 PM
If the Hawks or Geelong or even the Blues had the equivalent 9 players out to ours below would we come into the game thinking we will win by 6 goal minimum ??

we have 9 of our best 22 out right now - and yes Mattner has retired but if not injured he have been starting this season and yes Rohan for sure would have been starting ahead of a few guys out there now if not injured and continued his 2011 form and start of 2012

Yet the strange thing is I still fee confident we can win this one !

Jetta, Shaw, Goodes etc out is like missing Buddy, Rioli and Hodge at the Hawks plus 6 other missing too !!!

Jetta - Rioli
Goodes - Buddy
Mummy - Hale
LRT - Lake
Shaw - Hodge
AJ - Gibson
Reid - Roughhead
Mattner - Guerra
Rohan - Gunston

we would smash the HAwks with our full team and the above 9 missing !!

I wonder if the Blues and their supporters feel the same way about us ??

Aaron
28th June 2013, 04:12 PM
http://www.sydneycricketground.com.a...coreboard-cam/

Is that on during matches?
Yes, but it is not really live, it is refreshed intermittently.

Have those seats been sold for tonight's game?
I believe so. They were filled in the last home game against the DONS.

Auntie.Gerald
29th June 2013, 09:38 AM
If the Hawks or Geelong or even the Blues had the equivalent 9 players out to ours below would we come into the game thinking we will win by 6 goal minimum ??

we have 9 of our best 22 out right now - and yes Mattner has retired but if not injured he have been starting this season and yes Rohan for sure would have been starting ahead of a few guys out there now if not injured and continued his 2011 form and start of 2012

Yet the strange thing is I still feel confident we can win this one !

Jetta, Shaw, Goodes etc out is like missing Buddy, Rioli and Hodge at the Hawks plus 6 other missing too !!!

Jetta - Rioli
Goodes - Buddy
Mummy - Hale
LRT - Lake
Shaw - Hodge
AJ - Gibson
Reid - Roughhead
Mattner - Guerra
Rohan - Gunston

we would smash the HAwks with our full team and the above 9 missing !!

I wonder if the Blues and their supporters feel the same way about us ??

Yet the strange thing is I still feel confident we can win this one !