PDA

View Full Version : Rampe (the Great Dane)

mariachi
25th June 2013, 12:03 PM
Liking this kid more and more. Seems to have the same poise as the lad he replaced - AJ - booming left foot kick (and looks quite good off his right too), generally good positioning and makes a contest, and seems more at ease with each round. Another left field selection unearthed by our impressive recruiting team.

25th June 2013, 12:07 PM
I was at the match on Saturday and thought he looked quite composed in the hayhem that was our backline. Agree that he is continuing to look more impressive as the year progresses, no star but a good solid defender.

Looks a keeper and a long term replacement for one of the retired/retiring back flankers.

DamY
25th June 2013, 12:46 PM
No star? He had 88% disposal efficiency on the weekend. He is a star in my eyes :)

Doctor
25th June 2013, 12:54 PM
He is improving week by week. He has made the step up in class now and looks to have settled well. Mattner's retirement has probably helped him relax a bit too because he know he's not a fill in anymore.

jetts32
25th June 2013, 02:01 PM
I agree, he's been a great player already, he has fit in so well.
I still miss AJ though, bad. I think AJ brought more confidence to our backline. But luckily with the retirement of Mattner, Rampe has a spot to keep if he keeps on improving.

barry
25th June 2013, 02:23 PM
I have concerns about Rampe lasting the whole season. I can see him being pretty spent by finals time, being a 1st year player and all.

I wish we had the luxury of giving him a rest now and then.

Jewels
25th June 2013, 02:46 PM
I have concerns about Rampe lasting the whole season. I can see him being pretty spent by finals time, being a 1st year player and all.

I don't think it will be a problem. He's no kid at 23 and he's been around the traps for a while and done the hard yards so I think (hope, pray) he just gets better and better as the year progresses.

hot potato
25th June 2013, 04:02 PM
Was he the one to be seen giving directives and marshalling enthusiasm against PP.
HP

Auntie.Gerald
25th June 2013, 05:43 PM
he actually finished best overall in the pre season training tests

he is alway top 3 in the running with Hannes and AJ

the kid above all brings serious enthusiasm to the team (clap)

his body language and support to his fellow players is very much a leader !

wolftone57
26th June 2013, 12:09 AM

Barry he is an older 1st year player. Not a 19 year old I'm sure he will be fine. He turned 23 earlier this month.

GongSwan
27th June 2013, 10:43 AM
No doubt he's a keeper. How they keep finding people to put on hte park who can just step up is amazing

jono2707
27th June 2013, 10:53 AM
No doubt he's a keeper. How they keep finding people to put on hte park who can just step up is amazing

Rampe's 2013 has been a lot like AJ's 2011 for me - he's come from a long way back and has developed and improved really well to become an important component in our backline. Good to see he seems to be improving with more games under his belt and with Marty now gone, he's made the spot his own. Well done to the lad....

Auntie.Gerald
27th June 2013, 02:10 PM
Teddy did say though that Dane loves his "Pan Pipes"

a little bit of a worry :hmmmm2:

- - - Updated - - -

Teddy did say though that Dane loves his "Pan Pipes"

a little bit of a worry :hmmmm2:

Nico
27th June 2013, 10:23 PM
He is a very good player. He was the one who got back into the last line of defence last week. He gets to contests quickly and butters up very well. Also reads the play and has speed to keep with quick opponents. With AJ back next year we will have a very formidable backline again. Frankly one of those you would never drop. He was clearly in our best few players last week.

DamY
28th June 2013, 10:36 AM
He is a very good player. He was the one who got back into the last line of defence last week. He gets to contests quickly and butters up very well. Also reads the play and has speed to keep with quick opponents. With AJ back next year we will have a very formidable backline again. Frankly one of those you would never drop. He was clearly in our best few players last week.

Too true, I think he is pretty flawless right now

Bloody Hell
28th June 2013, 07:27 PM

I never thought Everitt could find a spot...but he's playing extremely well. I'd add him to the Rampe - AJ and the future conversation.

Rod_
29th June 2013, 02:23 AM
Well done Dane - great game tonight. Part of the best 6 at the moment IMO!

satchmopugdog
29th June 2013, 07:05 AM
Well done Dane - great game tonight. Part of the best 6 at the moment IMO!

Dane is becoming more and more assured each week and in those horrible conditions last night he was assured and inspired confidence. A ripper of a recruiting find

Melbournehammer
29th June 2013, 08:33 AM
At the risk of raining on the parade, I think that the real test will be playing against the hawks and Geelong. Both are acquitting themselves really well against the middle ranking teams, but the next tier up will be interesting.

DamY
29th June 2013, 08:35 AM
What about that sliding block on a kick for goal? Amazing

Primmy
29th June 2013, 09:34 AM
What about that sliding block on a kick for goal? Amazing Yep, just below us and it was beautiful. Good to see a bloke with a massive hairdo is not at all averse to getting muddied as well as put in a mighty effort. I see the emergence of a Ted/Marty clone.

Wazza
29th June 2013, 09:42 AM
I never thought Everitt could find a spot...but he's playing extremely well. I'd add him to the Rampe - AJ and the future conversation.

Im with you bloody, Everitt has been pretty good and I thought Rampe had one of his best games for us last night. Who would have thought we would watch a swans senior team this season with this combination playing together and win!

White
Lamb
Rampe
Jack jnr
Richards jnr
Everitt
Mitchell

(clap)(clap)

Cheers

wazza

ScottH
29th June 2013, 10:05 AM
What about that sliding block on a kick for goal? Amazing

Yes, but it was a piss poor kick in the first place.
But good that he was thinking ahead to get into a position to stop it.

he ran out of trouble a few times with some skillful work.

Dosser
29th June 2013, 12:18 PM
Did anyone else notice last night that after the final siren Rampe was holding his right hand and had to shake hands with his left?

Auntie.Gerald
29th June 2013, 12:34 PM
yes very concerning !!!!

satchmopugdog
29th June 2013, 01:28 PM
Did anyone else notice last night that after the final siren Rampe was holding his right hand and had to shake hands with his left?

Yep...Looked broken to me.....Dr.Satch doing a long distance consultation...another injury!!!!!

ernie koala
29th June 2013, 01:34 PM

Noticed this too.

But also noticed he sang the team song with both his arms wrapped around the players beside him....

Maybe clutching at straws...But I thought that was a good sign.

ScottH
29th June 2013, 02:52 PM
Noticed this too.

But also noticed he sang the team song with both his arms wrapped around the players beside him....

Maybe clutching at straws...But I thought that was a good sign.

Yep, noticed that too.
Although we couldn't see his right arm, so we'll have to wait and see.
May have been a dislocation.

I mean Hanners looked like he'd done a knee in the last Q then 2 seconds later he's taking a shot for goal.

Primmy
29th June 2013, 04:30 PM
I noticed the wrist too. But I will wait for medical report before becoming concerned. I thought Hanners was dying out there at one stage (just as likely he was, he has a bit of Paul Kelly in him) but nup I was wrong. I think. Sometimes watching the swans play is like watching a scene from Monty Python (Its just a scratch! hop hop hop)

aardvark
29th June 2013, 07:42 PM
I thought Hanners was dying out there at one stage

Wouldn't be a Swans game if Hanners wasn't dying at some stage. The blokes indestructible!

Nico
29th June 2013, 08:18 PM
Yep, noticed that too.
Although we couldn't see his right arm, so we'll have to wait and see.
May have been a dislocation.

I mean Hanners looked like he'd done a knee in the last Q then 2 seconds later he's taking a shot for goal.

Is that the shot for goal that he short passed to Judd. Shocking disposal decision on a night when every score counted.

ScottH
29th June 2013, 09:00 PM
Is that the shot for goal that he short passed to Judd. Shocking disposal decision on a night when every score counted.

No that was earlier in the 2nd term.

The one I was referring to was in the last Q.

Nico
30th June 2013, 11:38 AM
No that was earlier in the 2nd term.

The one I was referring to was in the last Q.

Just on that errant pass. McVeigh gave Hanners a huge bake when coming off the ground at half time.

Bloodthirsty
30th June 2013, 11:48 AM
Any word on whether Rampe is injured?

DamY
30th June 2013, 11:50 AM
No but he just signed a two year deal!

Rampe reaps the reward for seizing his Swans chance (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/rampe-reaps-the-reward-for-seizing-his-swans-chance-20130629-2p3xd.html)

Jewels
30th June 2013, 05:12 PM

Rampe reaps the reward for seizing his Swans chance (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/rampe-reaps-the-reward-for-seizing-his-swans-chance-20130629-2p3xd.html)

Good on him, he's worked hard and grabbed his opportunity with both hands, reward for effort is the best.

giant
30th June 2013, 07:04 PM

Great news! His improvement has been staggering - a joy to watch that raking left foot out of the back line, growing in confidence every week - he's this year's AJ!

bloodspirit
13th June 2019, 06:35 PM
Time to revive this thread!

I've gone on record and said that Dane is my favourite player from the current playing group (although there are so many to choose from!). Just want to collect and post a few bits fanboy memorabilia here:

Love this article and, especially, video with Dane before his debut: Rookie Rampe-d up for debut - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-03-28/rookie-ramped-up-for-debut) - to me he radiates joy, confidence and maturity. Akin to the passion and determination he continues to embody.

Here's a recent article from Fairfax - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/he-s-a-different-cat-the-many-shades-of-dane-rampe-20190608-p51vss.html - where Macca says that after Rampe found out he was being appointed captain, the first person he called was Macca to say thanks for helping him on his journey and teaching him a few things. Macca says that it was "one of the top moments of my career when he did that". He also discloses a couple of interesting tidbits like Rampe has OCD and a neat freak at home despite getting around the place barefoot and that he plays the piano. (This last factoid made me wonder about a reference to Teddy Richards talking about Rampe and panpipes - anyone know what this was about?)

There was the interesting discussion on this board in Rampe's early days about whether he was better or not than Heath Campbell who we had just let walk to Port Adelaide: Rampe v Heath (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/36228-Rampe-v-Heath?highlight=dane+rampe). Then there was the thread where there seemed to be a consensus that Rampe was better than Armstrong but Ludwig threw a cat among the pigeons when he suggested he might drop Mattner in favour of Rampe if need be (back in 2013 when Mattner was just months past his flag saving tackle in the 2012 granny no less): Rampe > Armstrong (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/36039-Rampe-gt-Armstrong?highlight=dane+rampe). History will judge Ludwig kindly in this instance for his prescience. Actually, it was interesting reading a few of Ludwig's posts in this thread, where he was quite deferential towards Horse and before he developed his latter day insouciance.

On 8 April 2015 Doctor answered the question about how many games Rampe would play thusly: "As long as he keeps his head, and doesn't start buying into the hype, he should play 150. " Notwithstanding the incident with the chain fence at Moore Park, Rampe made it! Well done, Doctor.

Rampe's fans have included Alex Rance and Brad Scott.

I want to conclude this gallimaufry of Rampe miscellania with a link to his video to his passionate captain's address ahead of our season this year: Rampe's passionate address - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2019-03-07/rampes-passionate-address).

Meg
13th June 2019, 08:38 PM
To add to bloodspirit’s gallimaufry on Rampe, also good listening on ‘Conversations with Cal’ podcast included at this link:

‎Conversations with Cal on Apple Podcasts (https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/conversations-with-cal/id1458307189)

Ps: All Cal’s interviews are really interesting for learning a bit more about Swans players.

Pps: ‘gallimaufry’ - bs, you are the first person I’ve known to use this wonderful word!

bloodspirit
14th June 2019, 11:09 AM
Thanks Meg - I'm listening to the podcast now. A pleasure to get to know Dane a bit more. I look forward to listening to more of Cal's interviews too.

There's a bunch of unusual words similar to gallimaufry - salmagundi is another that does the same job. I like words. It's good to find an excuse to bring out some of the less hackneyed ones. I enjoyed your descriptions of art and museums in Madrid and thereabouts a while back.

ugg
14th June 2019, 11:22 AM
Isn't gallimaufry the planet where Doctor Who came from? Possibly the same planet you might think Rampe also comes from given some of his recent antics.

56-14
14th June 2019, 12:08 PM
Isn't gallimaufry the planet where Doctor Who came from? Possibly the same planet you might think Rampe also comes from given some of his recent antics.

He's certainly not from Krypton (as his leap onto the goalpost showed).

Markwebbos
20th June 2019, 11:39 PM
Brain explosions obscure Rampe's role in Swans' climb up AFL ranks

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/brain-explosions-obscure-rampe-s-role-in-swans-climb-up-afl-ranks-20190620-p51zpj.html

Sydney's return to their miserly ways in defence has provided the impetus for the Swans' climb back up the ladder after their horror start to the season - and captain Dane Rampe has played a big part despite his strange behaviour.

Meg
21st June 2019, 12:19 AM
Can we please stop referring to Rampe’s brain explosions plural?

I’ve said this before but - Rampe had ONE brain explosion - climbing the goal post was a bit inexplicable.

But going over the mark while trying to distract the player kicking for goal is an error of execution - you know, like tackling a player too high in the goal circle in the last 30 seconds. Would you call that a brain explosion? Or an error/mistake?

Markwebbos
21st June 2019, 11:54 AM
Can we please stop referring to Rampe’s brain explosions plural?

I’ve said this before but - Rampe had ONE brain explosion - climbing the goal post was a bit inexplicable.

But going over the mark while trying to distract the player kicking for goal is an error of execution - you know, like tackling a player too high in the goal circle in the last 30 seconds. Would you call that a brain explosion? Or an error/mistake?

That is a quote from Fairfax. Dane also called the umpire a little girl, which could be considered another one.

Bloods05
21st June 2019, 03:37 PM
That is a quote from Fairfax. Dane also called the umpire a little girl, which could be considered another one.

No he didn't. He said he spoke like a little girl, i.e. too softly to be heard at a footy match.

Markwebbos
21st June 2019, 04:22 PM
No he didn't. He said he spoke like a little girl, i.e. too softly to be heard at a footy match.

You are correct "talks like a little girl"
My point, grammar aside, was this could be considered another brain explosion.

Auntie.Gerald
11th July 2019, 01:44 PM
Yes or No

Best FB in the Comp ?

Defensively he dominates his opponent week in week out

Then his counter attack is absolutely elite this year

His intensity and leadership has been on the razors edge ie 110% every week..... but so so willing and his backline is shaping up better and better for a new mob

Blood Fever
11th July 2019, 01:50 PM
Yes or No

Best FB in the Comp ?

His intensity and leadership has been on the razors edge ie 110% every week..... but so so willing and his backline is shaping up better and better for a new mob

Elite player who I hope can play at this level for another 3 or so years - late starter- is he 29?

Melbourne_Blood
11th July 2019, 01:51 PM
Yes or No

Best FB in the Comp ?

Biased upon but yes I would agree he is one of the best defenders in the league and criminally underrated . Should be first picked in the AA backline this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark26
11th July 2019, 01:56 PM
Yes! Best moustache and robe in the comp too.

Markwebbos
11th July 2019, 02:36 PM
Great title for this thread btw. He's very rarely beaten and can play on virtually everyone. Reckon Jaidyn Stephenson got hold of him when we played Collingwood. Is there a more versatile defender than RTG?

longmile
11th July 2019, 03:34 PM
Biased upon but yes I would agree he is one of the best defenders in the league and criminally underrated . Should be first picked in the AA backline this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. If he was in a Melbourne based team he might be considered the best defender in the league. Maybe I have Swans-tinted glasses on but bar Rance I think he may be the best defender going around