PDA

View Full Version : What more?

jetts32
15th July 2013, 01:15 PM
What more does White have to prove?

In all honesty, he looks like a changed person, he is competing well and kicking better.
He has shown the signs he is ready, he has shown he's freakish talent, more importantly he is kicking goals, tackling and setting up goals.
Have you seen him run? Someone that big and strong should not be that versatile, that goal against Adelaide in the wet, was freakish.
It reminded me of Adam Goodes to be honest. (I'm not saying he's as good, clearly he's not, but that goal was out of Goodes' book)
Here's my point - with Mumford probably leaving - why wouldn't we persist with White? He's actually been great this year, like his career is on the line - which it is - but if Mumford is going, we got to keep White.

Rod_
15th July 2013, 01:35 PM
Agree that he can't do much more to prove he can play footy.

Agree I would keep him, given the number of tall's that have been injured this year (or may go at the end of the year..)

I just wish he would use his size / bulk a bit like Tom Hawkins. Bit of bash and crash agro would be very nice indeed... Jesse just needs someone like Steve Johnson to tell him when and where to lead. Mark it and kick it straight!

I do admit that his leading and time to attach has improved a lot.

Time in the team and confidence is what is needed! (and a director in the forward line to say keep out of my way or you're's... Not sure if Tippett has the Swans game plan in his head yet to do this... Jude? )

Rod_

alt_mattr
15th July 2013, 01:39 PM
With the speed he has I don't think it is as simple as counting him with the talls. Every time he was racing someone to the ball yesterday he beat them. Even if he started significantly behind his opponent did not get a clean touch, Jessie was there on his heels.

Skill-wise you can't compare anyone to Goodes, but if anyone could step into those shoes physically it would be Jessie. Here's hoping for another Swans success story! He is at least ahead of where Pyke was at this age :)

Doctor
15th July 2013, 01:43 PM
I have plenty of time for White and thought he did a great job yesterday but it's hard to know what to make of anyone's performance against an opposition that was so dreadfully disappointing. It was good to see him play well on a dry day.

Ludwig
15th July 2013, 01:55 PM
I am beginning to think we should keep Jesse regardless of what happens with Mummy. I suppose he will get another go next week and will be interesting to see how he goes against a pretty strong group of tall defenders.

baskin
15th July 2013, 01:58 PM
I just wish he would use his size / bulk a bit like Tom Hawkins. Bit of bash and crash agro would be very nice indeed...

Rod_

I stand to be corrected but I seem to remember in one of his very early games at Etihad ( maybe against Carlton) he went hard at a ball and was reported. He went into his shell for the rest of that game and I sometimes wonder if it scarred him somewhat. My dad often yells at him to use that 'great hulking body of yours.." but he does seem tentative at times. I am in the camp that says more consistent game time would make a difference.

Chilcott
15th July 2013, 02:06 PM
Play well against good opposition would be a start.

There were glimpses of some good footy in the first half against Carlton in the wet. However, he got lazy in the second half. There were times he didn't even compete against his opponent, Lachie Henderson, who was clearly BOG for the Blues.

Triple B
15th July 2013, 02:34 PM
...with Mumford probably leaving.....

So that's where Mummy's at, probably leaving??

DeadlyAkkuret
15th July 2013, 03:02 PM
Can someone tell me how the hell the Mumford leaving rumours started? There's absolutely nothing to suggest this at all and I'm tired of reading it.

ShockOfHair
15th July 2013, 03:07 PM
If there's a vacancy opening up for White it's more likely to come from LRT retiring. He's still on the indefinite list. It may not happen at all but it's much more plausible than that single story planted by Mumford's manager.

Melbournehammer
15th July 2013, 03:25 PM
Well this feels weird, but as one of those very few who has never left Jesse's corner, I don't think we should get too carried away by the performance yesterday.

He came on and competed well just as the GWS midfielders put up the white flag. The ball basically did not depart from our forward half except for sporadic attacks on their part.

Jesse has GREAT and I mean GREAT straight line speed. He would beat most defenders and most rucks and those who can play both in a straight line. It is part of the reason why he is actually quite damaging when he plays in the ruck around the ground - because when the ball hits the ground he can move quickly and plays like a mini Mummyand go straight at it and do a great job. When our midfielders kick it to him when he is on a lead he often gets there - particularly when mcv is the one kicking it - he truly is our best kick in the midfield and is more than deserving of a thread which is just full of praise of what he has been able to do over the past two seasons and in particular this one - particularly from all of those who repeatedly had a go at him over the early part of his career.

But he has a huge turning circle and his side to side movement is quite limited at AFL level. Henderson beat him because the kicks to him were often on his head or made him stop and he really isnt a contested mark.

But as I have often said - neither was BBBH. Players have their own strengths and had Jesse played in the 2003-2006 era when our midfield was trained at kicking dinky 15 metre kicks to leading forwards he may well have been a really good player for us. However our current system of just kick the be jeeesssuss out of the ball hasn't suited his style at all. Fortunately he now gets the third tall playing on him when he plays forward - and as much as that will assist reid if he gets back, it is assisting jesse.

I am just happy that he is getting his moment in the sun. I have no doubt that Longmire has told him often that he is probably our 3rd choice ruck and 3rd or 4th choice tall and it is to his great credit that he hasn't thrown in the towel but played out of his skin for a season and a half at reserves level and kept coming into the side to do a job full in the knowledge that the coaching staff dont trust him and he will be first off and probably first blamed for poor results. And in that context I still regard Longmire's comments after the hawthorn game that it was the forwards fault for leading to bad areas ridiculous on a night where our midfield was just OBLITERATED. It annoyed me no end that Jesse came into a side that was just smashed (and sure he was in the ruck and contributed to some of that) and the finger got pointed in his direction.

I hope he keeps going at this level - and my reading between the lines of some of roosy's comments during the game yesterday about jesse's future didn't augur well - and gets picked up somewhere else and i for one wouldn't be at all disappointed if he turned around and kicked 5 (in a losing side) against us.

jetts32
15th July 2013, 04:39 PM
I'm not judging White off the game he played yesterday at all, I'm judging him on his last few games for the swans, he's presented well, kicked straighter than most of our big men, yes he does drop off a little bit during games, but then again, more senior game time will help him.
It's a massive step up from the seconds, he is a freak athlete but its taken time to get him use to football, there is no doubt he has it in him to be a key factor of our or any club with the skills he possesses.
The only thing is, he needs to be consistent and demand to stay at senior level.

If we didn't play him for the rest of the season, I'd hope for him to go to a club like Gold Coast where he could get consistant game time and develop as a player, I'd rather see him do well at another club than do nothing at ours.

But I'd love it even more to see him break out and stay at our club!

- - - Updated - - -

And the reason I say "Mumford is probably going" is because most people who win a premiership with a side one year would happily re - sign the next, especially with all the key players who re - signed and the club having another chance to win a premiership - they would re - sign. Mumford has put off negotiations, for what? We're a good club - still looking like we're going to improve (touch wood no more injuries) a great mix of good younger and older players.
Why wouldn't he re - sign straight away? Especially when we gave him the chance Geelong couldn't.
What it looks like to me - he's seen the dollar signs - he certainly can get big dollars elsewhere - he's already won a premiership - what else more could he want?

MightyBloods
15th July 2013, 07:51 PM
I'm not judging White off the game he played yesterday at all, I'm judging him on his last few games for the swans, he's presented well, kicked straighter than most of our big men, yes he does drop off a little bit during games, but then again, more senior game time will help him.
It's a massive step up from the seconds, he is a freak athlete but its taken time to get him use to football, there is no doubt he has it in him to be a key factor of our or any club with the skills he possesses.
The only thing is, he needs to be consistent and demand to stay at senior level.

If we didn't play him for the rest of the season, I'd hope for him to go to a club like Gold Coast where he could get consistant game time and develop as a player, I'd rather see him do well at another club than do nothing at ours.

- - - Updated - - -

And the reason I say "Mumford is probably going" is because most people who win a premiership with a side one year would happily re - sign the next, especially with all the key players who re - signed and the club having another chance to win a premiership - they would re - sign. Mumford has put off negotiations, for what? We're a good club - still looking like we're going to improve (touch wood no more injuries) a great mix of good younger and older players.
Why wouldn't he re - sign straight away? Especially when we gave him the chance Geelong couldn't.
What it looks like to me - he's seen the dollar signs - he certainly can get big dollars elsewhere - he's already won a premiership - what else more could he want?

I'm hearing its not the dollars...its the length of the contact. Mumford's management want at least a 4 year contract and I believe the Swans are concerned about Mummy's recent injury history and prepared to offer 3 years but the club suggested to wait until later in the season to see form and fitness. It will come to a head within the next 6 weeks. Mummy loves the club and prefers to stay and has told his management this. The pies and GWS into him and up to his management to give him all options.

chalbilto
15th July 2013, 08:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Another premiership with the boys.