PDA

View Full Version : Serious question here....

johnno
15th July 2013, 11:31 PM
What chance Nick Malceski for the brownlow?

ernie koala
15th July 2013, 11:37 PM
I think our team is too even at the moment.

Hannebery would of got many early round votes ...McVeigh would be getting plenty at present...And of course K Jack...

So I doubt it....But if his form continues he'll be an All Australian HBF.

Rod_
16th July 2013, 12:06 AM
Serious answer

Save your money!

jetts32
16th July 2013, 12:51 AM
You'd think he'd be polling well, but as one of the comments above said - we're too even -
Josh Kennedy was no doubt one of the best midfielders last year - first in contested possessions, clearances and handballs, he also kicked around 30 goals, extremely good season but he only polled 19 votes because we had more players pull 10 or more votes than other other club.
This season is the same - although I'd like a Swan to win the brownlow it'll be highly unlikely because of the season some players are having.
Mcveigh, Hannebry, Mal, Jack would all have over 10 votes by now - and you can quote that.

Primmy
16th July 2013, 08:13 AM
Always need a complete standout in a team to get a brownlow, preferably a midfielder, so that makes it very difficult to imagine Mal would be in the running. We have a team of players, rather than a single standout in each game. So, not much chance.

However I am suspecting he will poll very well in the CC this year. In fact, I am putting my hand up to say top two, OR even one.

DK_
16th July 2013, 10:40 AM
Unless he's actually Garry Ablett, next to nil!

Having said that, he's having a belter of a season and wouldn't it be great to see a defender get it!

Swansinger
16th July 2013, 11:15 AM
What chance Nick Malceski for the brownlow?

One chance in a thousand :
SportsPunter - Aussie Rules Betting - AFL Nick Malceski Odds Comparison (http://www.sportspunter.com.au/sports-betting/aussie-rules/australia/afl-betting/exotic-outright-betting/brownlow-medal-winner/best-odds-for-nick-malceski/)

Dosser
16th July 2013, 11:29 AM
SportsPunter - Aussie Rules Betting - AFL Nick Malceski Odds Comparison (http://www.sportspunter.com.au/sports-betting/aussie-rules/australia/afl-betting/exotic-outright-betting/brownlow-medal-winner/best-odds-for-nick-malceski/)

So he is a chance?!?

alt_mattr
16th July 2013, 11:38 AM
I always wondered why the Brownlow is so revered. It's an award for the best midfielder biased towards those in lesser teams. Also, the award is given out every year in a ceremony which is a giant ad for gambling in Melbourne. Club champion or club best and fairest means much more to me as a fan. There is so much more that goes on in a footy club than what happens in the 5 meters around the umpires once a week.

The way they vote for the Norm Smith Medal drives me nuts too. A medal for the best player in the first three and half quarters of the grand final - huh?

Triple B
16th July 2013, 12:06 PM

So he is a chance?!?

Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

One of the best...scenes...ever

mariachi
16th July 2013, 01:06 PM
What chance we get the team Brownlow... Highest combined votes for all players on the list over the year?

wolftone57
16th July 2013, 01:37 PM
Mal is at a disadvantage being a backman as the umpies notice the mids far more than any other posie. I agree with the sentiment that we are far too even to spit out a Brownlow winner at the moment although I thought earlier i the season Hannas was looking good.

The umpires seem to give mids most of the votes. This to me has been a worry for a long time. there have been many grweat footballers playing back or forward and they never quite get there. Nick Reiwoldt is a good example. While Chris Judd is a good footballer I am not sure he was the best player in both those years he won the Brownlow. you have to go back to 1987 when Plugger won it to find a player not in the mids and I think he was the first and only FF to win. Stynes in '91 & Wynd in '92 are the last players not of the running mids to win as they were both ruckmen.

johnno
16th July 2013, 02:23 PM

Hmmm...might put $20 on it.

ugg
16th July 2013, 02:46 PM
Give your $20 to me I'll give you 1 million to 1.

alt_mattr
16th July 2013, 05:01 PM
Jetta is 500-to-one :)

On-Baller
16th July 2013, 06:22 PM
Our next brownlow medalist is a year or two off,but with a bit of luck injury wise Mitchell will win a brownlow for sure,wont matter how many other good players are in the team. Didnt Judd win one at WC with a group of gun mids around him,also Aker/Black/Voss all had reasonable competition for votes in their side but still won.Mitchell is quite frankly the best young player ive ever seen,averaging more disposals in his first few games than anyone else ever since stats were kept.It takes a freak and that he is.

RogueSwan
16th July 2013, 07:05 PM
No chance but not because he doesnt deserve it. He won't get because a) he is not a midfielder and b) the umps dont like him.

Doctor
16th July 2013, 07:12 PM
None. Won't happen. He's a back.

- - - Updated - - -

...further to my last, the best player in the AFL is Gary Ablett by so far it's not funny. I watch Suns games just to watch him play. He should win the Brownlow but probably won't because the Suns won't win enough games. I just hope Watson doesn't win it again as that would be extremely embarassing. His broken collar bone may have saved the AFL's bacon though.

goswannies
16th July 2013, 09:01 PM
I'm a glass half full kinda guy.

1) over the past couple of decades, most 3 vote getters came from winning teams

2) Wanganeen & our very own Fred Goldsmith have demonstrated that defenders can take Charlie home

3) the last player to win a Brownlow with a fairly full beard was our very own Graham Teasdale

ScottH
16th July 2013, 10:03 PM
Hanners, Jack and McVeigh (and Probably Goodes in a couple) will take 3 votes away from him.
He may get some 2's and 1's

johnno
17th July 2013, 03:11 PM
Hanners, Jack and McVeigh (and Probably Goodes in a couple) will take 3 votes away from him.

This is what I'm hoping for...Malceski getting a lot 2' & 1's.

jono2707
17th July 2013, 03:31 PM

We're not trading him to Hawthorn are we???

Dosser
17th July 2013, 07:17 PM
We're not trading him to Hawthorn are we???

I see what you did there... :)

DeadlyAkkuret
19th July 2013, 08:53 AM
I always wondered why the Brownlow is so revered. It's an award for the best midfielder biased towards those in lesser teams.

Total myth. In brackets is the position the winner's team finished.

Watson (11)
Swan (1)
Judd (8)
Ablett (2)
Cooney (3)
Bartel (1)
Goodes (4)
Cousins (2)
Judd (7)
Buckley, Goodes, Riccuito (2, 4, 6)
Black (2)
Akermanis (2)
Woewodin (3)
Crawford (9)
Harvey (6)

So over the last 15 years, the team of the eventual Brownlow winner on average has finished 4th after the home & away season.

aardvark
19th July 2013, 12:39 PM
Total myth. In brackets is the position the winner's team finished.

Watson (11)
Swan (1)
Judd (8)
Ablett (2)
Cooney (3)
Bartel (1)
Goodes (4)
Cousins (2)
Judd (7)
Buckley, Goodes, Riccuito (2, 4, 6)
Black (2)
Akermanis (2)
Woewodin (3)
Crawford (9)
Harvey (6)

So over the last 15 years, the team of the eventual Brownlow winner on average has finished 4th after the home & away season.

Well that fixed that argument.:redface: