PDA

View Full Version : Swan Rampe living his dream

ScottH
16th July 2013, 08:49 AM
Having helped put Sydney's little brother in his place, boom Swans' rookie Dane Rampe will fulfil a personal AFL dream when he plays against West Coast next weekend.

Defender Rampe has been the find of the season for the premiers, playing 13 games, including each of the past 11.

With Alex Johnson sidelined for the whole season, Rhyce Shaw playing just two games and Marty Mattner retiring in mid-season Rampe has earned plaudits form coach John Longmire for his consistency.

He equalled his career-best tally of 18 possessions in Sunday's 129-point rout of Greater Western Sydney and also kicked his first senior goal.

A Sydney product, who lives a handful of kilometres form the SCG, Rampe will play his first senior game in Perth this weekend.

He grew up watching the rivalry between the Swans and Eagles, highlighted by the incredibly close 2005-06 grand finals between the two clubs.

Swan Rampe living his dream | SBS World News (http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1789250/Swan-Rampe-living-his-dream)

stellation
16th July 2013, 09:32 AM
A GWS supporting friend touched on the question of Rampe to me at the end of the game. He highlighted that with about 20 games under his belt at the end of the season and being a physically mature chap that has proven himself at a top 4 side he would be a rather attractive option to the Giants, would slot straight in to their 22 and with one more key defender would make their backline suddenly look a lot stronger. He did highlight that if he's a rookie he's off contract at the end of this year and GWS could probably afford to offer a Mummy-to-Sydney style contract (3 years/$300k per year) which might be a bit more than the Swans can do.

It was just friendly ribbing, and really I took it more as acknowledgement of just how good he has been in the seniors this season. He's improving every single week.

liz
16th July 2013, 10:24 AM
A GWS supporting friend touched on the question of Rampe to me at the end of the game. He highlighted that with about 20 games under his belt at the end of the season and being a physically mature chap that has proven himself at a top 4 side he would be a rather attractive option to the Giants, would slot straight in to their 22 and with one more key defender would make their backline suddenly look a lot stronger. He did highlight that if he's a rookie he's off contract at the end of this year and GWS could probably afford to offer a Mummy-to-Sydney style contract (3 years/$300k per year) which might be a bit more than the Swans can do.

It was just friendly ribbing, and really I took it more as acknowledgement of just how good he has been in the seniors this season. He's improving every single week.

It was reported a couple of weeks ago on the Swans' website that he has just signed up (with us) for a further two years.

Primmy
16th July 2013, 11:01 AM
I just love the way he 'gets' it. The Bloods culture I mean, not just the game itself. We are lucky someone was bright enough to pick him up in the first place.

jono2707
16th July 2013, 11:05 AM
I've found it really pleasing to watch him improve as the season has gone on. He's pretty smart, physically impressive and has very good disposal. A keeper even with AJ back next year...

swansrob
16th July 2013, 12:15 PM
It was reported a couple of weeks ago on the Swans' website that he has just signed up (with us) for a further two years.

Something I wondered about that - are we able to sign him mid-season as a senior list player, given his elevation, or have we extended his rookie contract? The latter would seem silly as we can put him on the senior list at ND using a late pick we were never going to use anyway.

liz
16th July 2013, 01:33 PM
Something I wondered about that - are we able to sign him mid-season as a senior list player, given his elevation, or have we extended his rookie contract? The latter would seem silly as we can put him on the senior list at ND using a late pick we were never going to use anyway.

I imagine we have contracted him for 2014-15, given he is already contracted this year. There would be an understanding that he will be drafted to the senior list at the end of this season.

barry
16th July 2013, 02:13 PM
In his first few games, the opposition was trying to isolate him and were seeing him as the weak link in our defense.

But not anymore. He's playing the equal of the other defenders.

Panttz
16th July 2013, 02:28 PM
I actually cant remember seeing him make any howlers or have a terribly bad game so far this year. Grundy on the other hand...

ScottH
16th July 2013, 02:38 PM
Comparing AJ last year and Rampe this year, there is not a huge amount of difference between the 2.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=17&pid1=3501&tid2=17&pid2=3898&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2012&fid2=S

ShockOfHair
16th July 2013, 03:07 PM
You'd never pick him as a dozen-game player. I love how he slotted that set shot off a step.

He's also another win for the Swans system. You go a lot further building a team of out of good to pretty good 22-year-olds than trying to pick 18 year-old future champions.

Melbournehammer
16th July 2013, 03:26 PM
Is it only me that thinks he looks a little like job stephens when he is playing - especially with the blonded locks ?

16th July 2013, 03:42 PM
Been noticing in the last few weeks how calm he is under pressure, good disposal, hardly a clanger and also appears to have good pace and endurance. Being a mature player who has developed so quickly, it's a bonus for us to cover Mattner's unforeseen retirement.

If Shaw and AJ are up and going next year, I'm wondering if he would make a very good midfield tagger, that would free up other genuine mids from having to tag adding to our midfield depth.

Either way, Rampe has been an unexpected bonus.

erica
16th July 2013, 03:50 PM
I think he challengers LRT for the club best hair award.

Triple B
16th July 2013, 04:20 PM
Is it only me that thinks he looks a little like job stephens when he is playing - especially with the blonded locks ?

With the lack of responses, I guess I'm not the only one who has NFI who Job Stephens is...

stellation
16th July 2013, 04:23 PM

Superb, it was very much hypothetical and I haven't been paying enough attention to be able to shoot it down quickly.

DeadlyAkkuret
16th July 2013, 04:44 PM
With the lack of responses, I guess I'm not the only one who has NFI who Job Stephens is...

Former CEO of Apple Inc.

Primmy
16th July 2013, 04:45 PM
Ah, I think you have hit it Hammer. I have been mulling this over too, and the style of run, yes I can see it. However, he is more skilled, and runs faster. Actually runs much faster. And makes better decisions. On second thoughts, he is nothing like the lovely Stevo!

Johnny Stevens, he of the superb abs and big brown eyes, lots of hair, late '90's. Hammer can't tap John, he got Job. I knew who he meant though, the hair etc.

RogueSwan
16th July 2013, 07:13 PM
I thought Stevens had black hair, and a very unique running style.

stellation
16th July 2013, 07:25 PM

He's an okay player, but sneak some drugs in there and I reckon you could have a star. I'd suggest starting with something fun for Job, maybe like an E?

Captain
16th July 2013, 11:09 PM
A GWS supporting friend....

So they actually do have a fan??

Melbournehammer
17th July 2013, 10:38 AM
OK well at least one of you got past the spelling stuff.

and i agree he already looks better than joN steVens, but he does have the same blond tips, left foot (almost one sided) and running to the outside. and i didn't mind stevo as a player - no star but part of a pretty decent side for a while there

mcs
17th July 2013, 12:21 PM
Last year AJ was the bolter from the pack, this year it is Rampe. lets hope he gets the same reward come the end of the season that AJ got :)

He has been really good and is improving significantly as he gets more games under his belt. I think, whilst not as good as last year, we have to give our defensive line a hell of a lot of credit. We've lost three key members of it in Mattner, Shaw and AJ for pretty much the whole season, but their replacements have slotted in wonderfully well and are doing just as good a job. Shows just how good a culture we have at the club, and how good we are at making the very best out of what we have.

Primmy
17th July 2013, 12:23 PM
Ooops. Big blue eyes. Sorry Johny.

If anyone interested, his facebook page is worth looking at. He is still abtastic, still sport playing, still damned good to look at (and still quite aware of his status :tongue:)

Doctor
17th July 2013, 03:29 PM
Is Rampe eligible for the Rising Star as a rookie listed player?

liz
17th July 2013, 03:49 PM
Is Rampe eligible for the Rising Star as a rookie listed player?

Yes, but not as a 23 year old.