PDA

View Full Version : The Next Five Years

Pmcc2911
19th July 2013, 03:35 PM
We can win the flag this year but I dont think we will. Too many things need to align for that to happen, we might not even make the top four.

But having said that, the next five years are going to be fantastic for the swans, we could win 3 out of the next 5 without much trouble.

All we need is a power full back, (someone like a Lake or a Scarlett type).

In most codes it is the spine of the team that determines how good you are, consider this "spine" for the swans.

FB - New power recruit
CHB - Reid (work with me here), he has the speed and ability to run with the running "Reiwoldt" type forwards in the comp.
Centre - Choose anyone of our existing guns
CHF - White (assuming he maintains his present form), he can mark and is a good accurate kick for goal.
FF - Tippet of course

Now add to that spine any choice of the following:
Backs - Rampe, AJ, Smith, Richards and Grundy
Running Half Backs - Everitt, Shaw, Maveigh
Wings/ Running Half Forwards - BJ, Jetta and Rohan
Forwards - Macglyn, Morton, (insert gun ressies here), resting ruck
Throw the best and deepest midfield in the comp and top them off with the best ruck duo of Mummy and Pyke and I dont think anyone will get near us.
We just need the big fullback.
( I am sure I have left out some names from above but not intentionally)

wolftone57
19th July 2013, 04:33 PM
We can win the flag this year but I dont think we will. Too many things need to align for that to happen, we might not even make the top four.

But having said that, the next five years are going to be fantastic for the swans, we could win 3 out of the next 5 without much trouble.

All we need is a power full back, (someone like a Lake or a Scarlett type).

In most codes it is the spine of the team that determines how good you are, consider this "spine" for the swans.

FB - New power recruit
CHB - Reid (work with me here), he has the speed and ability to run with the running "Reiwoldt" type forwards in the comp.
Centre - Choose anyone of our existing guns
CHF - White (assuming he maintains his present form), he can mark and is a good accurate kick for goal.
FF - Tippet of course

Now add to that spine any choice of the following:
Backs - Rampe, AJ, Smith, Richards and Grundy
Running Half Backs - Everitt, Shaw, Maveigh
Wings/ Running Half Forwards - BJ, Jetta and Rohan
Forwards - Macglyn, Morton, (insert gun ressies here), resting ruck
Throw the best and deepest midfield in the comp and top them off with the best ruck duo of Mummy and Pyke and I dont think anyone will get near us.

you forgot Mal

Pmcc2911
19th July 2013, 04:58 PM
you forgot Mal

Absolutely, add him to the mix in your selection of running/rebound half backs

DK_
19th July 2013, 06:28 PM
FB - New power recruit

Reg and Ted are our defending spine and doing well at it. Reg has seemed off kilter for a few weeks, but you don't recruit on week to week form. Only Fremantle beats us for points conceded, so we can't be doing too badly.

X is coming through and should replace his brother and Reg has got a few years left in him. Pyke's probably going to need replacing first.

Reid will be used in a swing position like Everitt or LRT, or he could replace Goodes in the forward line.

Having said all that, we should be looking for a young KPD and a ruckman with an eye on 2016. I agree with everything else you've said. Exciting times ahead!

Pmcc2911
19th July 2013, 08:38 PM
Where I was coming from with backs is that I think our defence this year has been a little off the mark, not bad but not as rock solid as last year. Losing AJ and Marty has really impacted on the overall "team" approach to defence. We haven't had enough of the third man in when Teddy or Reg are one on one with a monster forward.
Reg is playing like it is last year whilst Teddy still has a couple of years left.

X is still a skinny kid and a couple of years away yet, I think a new recruit that we can rebuild our defence around is essential.
Ted still plays but he would now only be taking the 2nd or 3 rd tall and still directing the young guys.

With regard to Pyke, with him coming into the system late and not having the same level of punishment as a regular AFL player I think he could easily play another 5 years.

barry
20th July 2013, 12:10 AM
Reg will be our key position defender for the next 5 years. Reid may take teds place one day, but also everitt is coming along nicely.

Id stay away from lake type deals. Thats going to blow up in hawthorns face.

Oh, and we will win the flag this year

DeadlyAkkuret
20th July 2013, 12:18 AM
Like the optimism and agree we'll be challenging for the next few years, but winning 3 of the next 5 without much trouble?

Flags aren't easy. It'll be a lot of trouble. Just be happy if we manage to win one flag in that time because it'll be a huge achievement.

ShockOfHair
20th July 2013, 12:43 AM
Where I was coming from with backs is that I think our defence this year has been a little off the mark, not bad but not as rock solid as last year.

Swans have the second best defence in the league after Freo, having conceded an extra 43 points over 16 rounds. The third best, Essendon, is 140 points (23 goals) behind us. Richards was AA last year and is still getting the job done every week, so it's a bit early to consign him to the scrap heap. We do need to develop another big defender though.

goswannie14
20th July 2013, 08:45 AM
Like the optimism and agree we'll be challenging for the next few years, but winning 3 of the next 5 without much trouble?

Flags aren't easy. It'll be a lot of trouble. Just be happy if we manage to win one flag in that time because it'll be a huge achievement.
This.

20th July 2013, 08:51 AM
Joel Tippett

We are the family team :-)

wolftone57
20th July 2013, 11:47 AM
Reg will be our key position defender for the next 5 years. Reid may take teds place one day, but also everitt is coming along nicely.

Id stay away from lake type deals. Thats going to blow up in hawthorns face.

Oh, and we will win the flag this year

Hawthorn got Lake because they needed a defender to play the monsters. He is a short term solution while they develop a youngster or youngsters. We need to develop young KPD's ASAP with Teddy getting older and at 30 having probably 2-3 years left. Yes Reg is younger but in my experience the bigger bodied players generally don't last as long. Our rucks need a refurbishment of junior talent for the future as rucks take time to develop.

Bloodthirsty
20th July 2013, 04:28 PM
Swans have the second best defence in the league after Freo, having conceded an extra 43 points over 16 rounds. The third best, Essendon, is 140 points (23 goals) behind us. Richards was AA last year and is still getting the job done every week, so it's a bit early to consign him to the scrap heap. We do need to develop another big defender though.

I'd like to know how much of that is due to our two-way midfield and team defence, as opposed to KPD performances. They seems to get beaten a lot this year one-on-one, but I could be hallucinating.

Joel Tippett

We are the family team :-)

+1. I am all for J-Tip to bolster defence with a big and skilled body. Yes, I said J-Tip.