PDA

View Full Version : Jolly 2006

i'm-uninformed2
21st August 2013, 08:19 PM
Given how much debate it has generated on here over the years, the man in his own words

Babies on game day: when a new life and your life's dream go head-to-head (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/babies-on-game-day-when-a-new-life-and-your-lifes-dream-go-headtohead-20130821-2sast.html)

stellation
21st August 2013, 08:23 PM
Needs more Davo.

AnnieH
21st August 2013, 09:09 PM
"It's fair to say that big Dean Cox taught me a lesson that day. It was the worst game I have played in my career, which is why of course I have never watched it. I felt really conflicted after the game ? I was upset and disappointed about losing a grand final and not playing my part well..."

Reckon I could have told him that about two minutes after losing.
It's STILL all his fault.

dimelb
21st August 2013, 10:39 PM
My impression: the man is sad about it.
So were we.

jono2707
21st August 2013, 11:10 PM
I'd be really ok with all that has happened to Jolly and everything he's done if he just went to some other team rather than damn Collingwood!

Swansinger
22nd August 2013, 10:16 AM
Swans-Pies trades have usually been a win-win . I can't think of a better successful "pairing" in trades.
I do wonder if Peter Everitt arriving in Sydney a year earlier would have won us the '06 GF.Even so , we were only two behinds short of a win.
Never mind , I prefer to focus on Jolly's contribution to our win in '05.
He's had a terrific career and when he retires - this season , I predict - he can look back with more joy and pride than regret.

Captain
22nd August 2013, 10:39 AM
I like Jolly and feel for him.

Was more annoyed at a one B Hall who was @@@@house that day and had no baby as an excuse.

Jewels
22nd August 2013, 11:34 AM
I like Jolly and feel for him.

Was more annoyed at a one B Hall who was @@@@house that day and had no baby as an excuse.

Yep, said the same thing from day one.

mcs
22nd August 2013, 11:43 AM
Swans-Pies trades have usually been a win-win . I can't think of a better successful "pairing" in trades.
I do wonder if Peter Everitt arriving in Sydney a year earlier would have won us the '06 GF.Even so , we were only two behinds short of a win.
Never mind , I prefer to focus on Jolly's contribution to our win in '05.
He's had a terrific career and when he retires - this season , I predict - he can look back with more joy and pride than regret.

That is certainly a position I take - had we had Everitt to replace Ball, then we really would of been exceptionally tough to beat and I think would of went back to back. But we had a number of guys that simply didn't turn up in 06 in that first half, which cost us greatly!

AnnieH
22nd August 2013, 01:00 PM
Shut up.
Stop talking about it.
It still hurts.

;)

MightyBloods
22nd August 2013, 04:15 PM
That is certainly a position I take - had we had Everitt to replace Ball, then we really would of been exceptionally tough to beat and I think would of went back to back. But we had a number of guys that simply didn't turn up in 06 in that first half, which cost us greatly!

Hawthorn's asking price to let us get Everitt for 2006 was too high (First round pick and a young player called Malceski). I remember thinking at the end of 2006, one year too late when we got Everitt.....but then came 2012!

Xie Shan
22nd August 2013, 05:53 PM
Can we please not talk about 2006 just as we are about to maybe get another chance to defend a premiership, it's making me nervous!!

Have to remind myself to take things week by week. :)

Doctor
22nd August 2013, 06:28 PM
The last bit where he talked about better family planning had me shaking my imaginary fist. Why didn't he think of that the first time?!

The truth is that when you lose by less than a goal, there are many factors you can consider as the "if only this had happened we'd have won". Jolly's performance is one of those, but there were plenty of others and we only needed one of them to go right. 2012 was what got me over 2006. 2 (and hopefully 3) Flags is recognition that we belong. One wasn't, and that frustrated me until last year.

monopoly19
25th August 2013, 03:57 PM
Interesting article on Jolly's move to Melbourne: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-secret-darren-jolly-kept-from-even-his-closest-teammates/story-fni5f6hd-1226703419148

He's copped a lot of crap on this board for the move (not just his terrible GF performance), but clearly he made the best decision for his family. I do think it's a shame he felt like he couldn't talk about it at the time but am glad his family is doing well now.