PDA

View Full Version : Match Thread GFC gameday thread

ugg
24th August 2013, 04:45 PM
Will we be the first team to solve a problem like the GFC at Kardinia since, well, us?

No late changes. Lamb gets the vest

ugg
24th August 2013, 04:54 PM
Chappy is their sub

woo
24th August 2013, 05:01 PM
Lets do this swans. Just no injuries.

stellation
24th August 2013, 05:06 PM
For today's game I'm opting for Real Ale from the fine Young Henry's brewery, along with perhaps some nuts.

This post brought to you by Young Henry's and nuts.

Young Henry's, because watching footy is thirsty work!
Nuts, because watching footy is hungry work!
Young Henry's, because nuts are salty!
Nuts, because you probably should eat something whilst drinking for a few hours.

I'm looking forward to an exciting game, thrilled to see Gary start (although I think that's been hinted at all week).

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone else dislike Chappy? I actually really like Geelong, and rarely dislike players- but I don't like Chappy.

Melbournehammer
24th August 2013, 05:10 PM
Have seat at ground for first time ever. Feels somewhat different to standing behind the goals at the city end. Ground looks good - just want to see enough to believe we can beat them when it counts, and no injuries of course

annew
24th August 2013, 05:36 PM
Am nervous, want a good show with no injuries and Gary to play well

ShockOfHair
24th August 2013, 05:44 PM
Tippett gets the first goal! Just like he did against Port. And Collingwood.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 05:44 PM
Great goal to Tippo - great mark by Rohan!

DeadlyAkkuret
24th August 2013, 05:45 PM
Tippett gets the first goal! Just like he did against Port. And Collingwood.

That's it. We're *****d!

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 06:00 PM
Terrible miss by Tippett - unforgivable.

- - - Updated - - -

Rohan having a good impact early - he has lost no guts.

- - - Updated - - -

We are getting murdered.

No impact from Pyke or Mumford when they have a Ruckman off - zilch.

- - - Updated - - -

We will get done by 8-10 goals here today.

annew
24th August 2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah not looking good, we look like we are at sixes and sevens.

Blue Sun
24th August 2013, 06:01 PM
More like 15 goals at this stage. Need to win some contested footy. Carn Swans.

Swans500
24th August 2013, 06:01 PM
We are so overrated.....injuries have caught up ..I dont know...all I know is I cannot stand Chapman and Shaw is gone...total disaster....

billyboob
24th August 2013, 06:02 PM
Shaw subbed off. Right medial ligament apparently.

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 06:03 PM
Why are all the Melbourne players wearing Swans geurnseys and playing our fixture?

Blue Sun
24th August 2013, 06:04 PM
Geelong are a very lucky side, have been for a while. The Swans will need to play out of their skins from here if we are to be any chance.

Swannette
24th August 2013, 06:05 PM
Their pressure is amazing but blimey they drop the ball a lot. Never a whistle.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 06:06 PM
Bloody Selwood - if that wasnt 50 to Rohan I dont know what is.

Blue Sun
24th August 2013, 06:07 PM
Bloody Selwood - if that wasnt 50 to Rohan I dont know what is.

Selwood is the most protected player in the comp.

Daisi
24th August 2013, 06:09 PM
Swannies looking like kids playing the grownups at the moment. I'm heartbroken for Shaw- any idea what his injury is?

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 06:10 PM
Geelong are a very lucky side, have been for a while. The Swans will need to play out of their skins from here if we are to be any chance.

Hell yeah. Fluke-ass everythin works for them, plus favoured by the umpires. But we really are overrated. We look so ordinary it's not funny.

annew
24th August 2013, 06:10 PM
By gee Geelong go in with their head

ugg
24th August 2013, 06:17 PM
The ROK to Bartel defensive forward tag isn't working and we've lost his in and under work at the clearances. Time to swing him back to the midfield. Hanners doing okay on Selwood but we need more from out midfield going forward.

Feels like each person is too concerned with their direct opponent and not putting enough pressure on the ball carrier

ugg
The ROK to Bartel defensive forward tag isn't working and we've lost his in and under work at the clearances. Time to swing him back to the midfield. Hanners doing okay on Selwood but we need more from out midfield going forward.

Feels like each person is too concerned with their direct opponent and not putting enough pressure on the ball carrier

Foreign Legion
Selwood may force a rule change - much like Kevin Bartlett did many years ago - the fact he is paid so much time to get rid of the ball and gets so many head highs amazes me.

That was a terrible quarter but we have some minor hope I guess. Bad luck for Shaw - Knee injury - looks done for 2013. Haven't seen much of Jack/Hannebery/Mitchell - thats where we are getting flogged.

- - - Updated - - -

Selwood may force a rule change - much like Kevin Bartlett did many years ago - the fact he is paid so much time to get rid of the ball and gets so many head highs amazes me.

That was a terrible quarter but we have some minor hope I guess. Bad luck for Shaw - Knee injury - looks done for 2013. Haven't seen much of Jack/Hannebery/Mitchell - thats where we are getting flogged.

billyboob
24th August 2013, 06:23 PM
@@@@ Hanners just did his knee.

Untamed Snark
24th August 2013, 06:24 PM
Please not Hanners

Swans500
24th August 2013, 06:25 PM
Did someone here mention earlier...no injuries....we are dead for the year serious this time...

annew
Goodbye finals, poor players are falling like ten pins

barry
F#@k

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 06:27 PM
If Hanners is gone, I'm calling it: Our season is over. See you guys next year.

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 06:27 PM
ok ..time to step up with these injuries.....particularly talking to you Everitt and White. Everitt cant handle the physical pressure and if I see White run away from a contest again...I'll spew!!!!!

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 06:35 PM
We are making them look good - they are not playing that well this qtr.

Lamb with 2 massive fumbles so far in this game.

Wazza
24th August 2013, 06:35 PM
I have Everitt 4 missed tackles and 4 clangers to date.

Cheers

waz

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 06:38 PM
That sounds about right.

White looking OK ATM

- - - Updated - - -

Free kicks - 12-5 amazingly

billyboob
24th August 2013, 06:39 PM
Dre sucks. Smith is hobbling. Wow.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 06:40 PM
@@@@ing Selwood - free kick every @@@@ing time

annew
24th August 2013, 06:40 PM
Now Smith has done his knee/leg. I reckon we will get massacred and injuries galore . Only Geelong bad kicking keeping us in it.

Swannette
24th August 2013, 06:41 PM
Umps are clearly barracking for Geelong today.

Cheer_Cheer
Dre sucks big time.. LRT we need you.. Mitchell looks like he has lost touch..

Foreign Legion
If I was Geelong I'd play Selwood at Full Forward every week - he'd kick 190 goals easily from his free kicks

annew
Really this game is a dead rubber, we won't really make top 2 so what we need to do is get some structure and stop just bombing to Tippett

Daisi
24th August 2013, 06:42 PM
So who's umpiring the game? Selwood or the guys with the whistles?

Legs Akimbo
24th August 2013, 06:43 PM
The umpiring is making this unwatchable. I've seen McGlynn get his head ripped off twice with no penalty, yet the Geelong players all lead with their head with the umpire whistle to blow at any sign of head high contact, real or otherwise. The AFL need to look at this, its disgraceful. Selwood is an out and out cheat.

annew
Dre sucks big time.. LRT we need you.. Mitchell looks like he has lost touch..
Andre is rubbish Mitchell and Lamb not good with the pressure, we are making p the numbers for finals.

mcs
We are playing utter crap but the umpires are a @@@@@@ing joke!

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 06:44 PM
Selwood closely followed by Dwayne Russell

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 06:44 PM
We were always going to be up against it to win the flag with the injuries we've had this year. I just want the team to play this game out as hard as they can and hopefully without any more injuries. Rest some bodies next week with hopefully Jetta and Reid in if fit to give them a run.

Swannette
24th August 2013, 06:45 PM
I dislike Joel selwood with a passion. But seriously, can we stuff up any more forward entries. Woeful.

ugg
24th August 2013, 06:46 PM
I have Everitt 4 missed tackles and 4 clangers to date.

Cheers

waz

Has the rabbits in the headlights look. Questionable whether he can handle the pressure of finals footy

royboy42
24th August 2013, 06:51 PM
Everitt is the slowest decision maker in the game...hope we don't have to use him in any finals.

gossipcom
Watching this game in Vancouver so too tired to stay up for the rest. But the umpiring has been one-sides (no surprise there). Not good on the injury front with Shaw and Smith (plus a sore Hanners).

Matt79
Honestly this is a disaster of a game. I don't care about the result but Shaw is off with a knee injury and now Smith is off with ice. I am in disbelief :(

Ludwig
24th August 2013, 06:54 PM
We could be charged for tanking with this performance.

Ruck'n'Roll
24th August 2013, 06:54 PM
Bloody Selwood - if that wasnt 50 to Rohan I dont know what is. A deliberate dog act, despicable!

Melbournehammer
24th August 2013, 06:59 PM
This is the culmination of several poor weeks in a row. Midfield has been down for about four weeks and really isn't going to improve. Only positives today have been Pyke, white and Rohan. The back line is under so much pressure and both mal and mcveigh don't know how to get out of it and the lack of pace down back is killing us. No-one can break a line to save the,selves.

Hawkins can't run or jump and basically is a decoy target, but their pace is killing us and the umpires aren't helping. Seriously wtf is with the decisions of the umpires here. Richards should continue to mark a lot in the forward line and if I was Geelong I'd sub Hawkins for chapman reasonably swiftly and I think we would be absolutely stuffed.

We should be done by six goals and I sort of expected to lose by ten, before my natural game day optimism took over. But we are a long way off these guys.

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 07:00 PM
I think a kid by the name of Cunningham may have just put his runners on to go out for a run back in Sydney. Opportunity knocks for the kid. I see him coming in for Shaw and he can use the ball with speed too.

Note: Believe it or not, ice on Nick's knee is a good sign. It tells me its not structural but probably a cork. Fingers crossed.

...and for what its worth..my heart says Swans for the flag...my head says Freo.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a kid by the name of Cunningham may have just put his runners on to go out for a run back in Sydney. Opportunity knocks for the kid. I see him coming in for Shaw and he can use the ball with speed too.

Note: Believe it or not, ice on Nick's knee is a good sign. It tells me its not structural but probably a cork. Fingers crossed.

...and for what its worth..my heart says Swans for the flag...my head says Freo.

Ludwig
24th August 2013, 07:01 PM
Our ability to tackle has fallen away so much in recent weeks. We just can't nail one. Our pressure seems non-existent.

Agree that Dre cannot handle pressure football.

I hope it's just a rope-a-dope on our part, but suspect that we are stuffed.

Melbourne_Blood
24th August 2013, 07:01 PM
We looked pretty horrible in this game last year too. It's largely irrelevant , it would be nice to see us play some decent footy coming into finals though. The injuries weve copped today haven't helped.

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 07:04 PM
The umpiring is making this unwatchable. I've seen McGlynn get his head ripped off twice with no penalty, yet the Geelong players all lead with their head with the umpire whistle to blow at any sign of head high contact, real or otherwise. The AFL need to look at this, its disgraceful. Selwood is an out and out cheat.

+1, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000.

Can anyone tell me with a straight face that this is not an example of organised and deliberate bias for one team by the umpiring body? There is NO other explanation for it. NONE. The AFL wants a Geelong home final, so they will get one.

Ajn
24th August 2013, 07:05 PM
Gee I can't believe you guys, staying competitive... Shaw injury will solve a selection problem, been a good servant but time to let j mc run hbf.

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 07:05 PM
The benefit of playing top games like this is that you get too see how players perform under pressure BEFORE the finals. I don't have a problem with Mitchell, he's young and the experience will be good for him. White is good when he has a run at the ball but if its him and an opposition player going head on at a 50/50 ball he puts in a few short steps.....jeepers, with his build he should be knocking them over like nine pins!! Everitt, well reinforces my view hje's not in our 22 come finals.

DK_
24th August 2013, 07:06 PM
This is the culmination of several poor weeks in a row. Midfield has been down for about four weeks and really isn't going to improve. Only positives today have been Pyke, white and Rohan. The back line is under so much pressure and both mal and mcveigh don't know how to get out of it and the lack of pace down back is killing us. No-one can break a line to save the,selves.

Hawkins can't run or jump and basically is a decoy target, but their pace is killing us and the umpires aren't helping. Seriously wtf is with the decisions of the umpires here. Richards should continue to mark a lot in the forward line and if I was Geelong I'd sub Hawkins for chapman reasonably swiftly and I think we would be absolutely stuffed.

We should be done by six goals and I sort of expected to lose by ten, before my natural game day optimism took over. But we are a long way off these guys.

Agree with all of this

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:09 PM
Umpires have started well....

- - - Updated - - -

Have a wild stab who got a free kick for Geelong then....

INCREDIBLE!!!!

annew
Everitt is the slowest decision maker in the game...hope we don't have to use him in any finals.

Grundy is pretty slow as well and our delivery to the forwar line is soooooo bad. what happened to all our run?????

mcs
Mcglynn had his head ripped off twice then! FFS how hard it is to give the obvious ones!

Cant turn right
24th August 2013, 07:11 PM
Is there a free kick Ombudsmen?

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:11 PM
Selwood 4 Frees for - Swans 5

Swans500
24th August 2013, 07:12 PM
I got the old 1993 feeling back again....just for this game...it looks awful...

Melbournehammer
24th August 2013, 07:12 PM
We can't get past half forward because there is no pace in front of the ball horrible

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 07:15 PM
I can't watch this crap.

- - - Updated - - -

What the @@@@@@ happened to our wide and even spread of goal kickers?

Wazza
24th August 2013, 07:17 PM
Rudds just announced 50 trillion for roof on Geelong stadium will use Ford Falcon parts from across the road, Abbot just announced 3 trillion to rebuild the swans.

Cheers

waz

annew
24th August 2013, 07:18 PM
I cannot believe this umpiring.

mcs
24th August 2013, 07:18 PM
This is unwatchable, umpiring is an absolute joke!

annew
24th August 2013, 07:19 PM
Geelong are not that great they just know how o get the frees.

Bloodthirsty
What's the free kick count so far?

DK_
Seriously, why don't the umpires cut out the middle man and kick it themselves?

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:20 PM
God damn, this is incredible. The umpiring is the worst I have seen for at least 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

17-5 frees

mcs
24th August 2013, 07:20 PM
18 - 5!!!!

Cheer_Cheer
24th August 2013, 07:21 PM
Eddie is enjoying this..

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:22 PM
WE GOT A FREE!!!!!!

mcs
24th August 2013, 07:24 PM
Seriously they are getting every single possible free kick and we are getting nothing. We are playing like crap but cant get anything. They are even allowed to just drop it then dispose it Absurd umpiring!

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:29 PM
AND ANOTHER - to many boos from the partisans... in the comm box.

- - - Updated - - -

Eddie getting disappointed at the free kicks - he is basically barracking for geelong.

mcs
24th August 2013, 07:33 PM
Better in the last 5 minutes. If we hadn't of wasted our chances, we would be half a shot in this.

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 07:34 PM
Good third quarter....Jack, McVeigh,Kennedy,Pyke and Mitchell all lifted. It's important to keep playing it out...you just never know if we start hitting targets....and Smith has a great football brain..great use of his body to provide Macca with some disposals.

Ludwig
24th August 2013, 07:37 PM
They are getting all those free kicks because they are running circles around us. I wouldn't blame the umps. If we won more possession we wouldn't be having this free kick problem.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:39 PM
Lol Ludwig - are you watching the same game?

I am not that impressed by them to be honest - we are playing poorly and injuries in this game have hurt. They might be gettable away from home.

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 07:39 PM
Brownlow night.....3 frees J Selwood...oops typo...3 votes.

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 07:40 PM
If you thought the Essendon scandal was big, wait until the public learns of the intimate relationship between Joel Selwood and Jeff Geishan.

annew
24th August 2013, 07:47 PM
Any idea on how Reid and Jetta went in practise today - we are desperate

- - - Updated - - -

Hannaberry is so gutsy

Blue Sun
24th August 2013, 07:48 PM
If you thought the Essendon scandal was big, wait until the public learns of the intimate relationship between Joel Selwood and Jeff Geishan.

Happens every week, he is by far the most protected player in the comp.

Swans500
24th August 2013, 07:49 PM
The bloody totally accidental out on the full free kick right next to goal is the most senseless rule in all of sport!!! And has now sealed the game....

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 07:53 PM
Now that the game is lost, watch all the 'evening-up' frees that we'll get played so it doesn't look so obvious.

MightyBloods
24th August 2013, 07:54 PM
Here's something out of left field going forward....Tippett across centre/half forward/ruck.....Pyke at full forward full time, his marking is elite and he kicks straight. We are at least one tall top heavy....I'd put another runner in for Everitt and I'm yet to be convinced about White.

annew
24th August 2013, 07:54 PM
Not panic stations yet but the young ones are not up to it and I think Everitt is a dumb footballer and we at too slow.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 07:56 PM
Selwood has more than half the free kicks our SIDE has. @@@@ing stager.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes annew - Lamb has been exposed here - had zero impact.

annew
24th August 2013, 08:01 PM
Selwood has more than half the free kicks our SIDE has. @@@@ing stager.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes annew - Lamb has been exposed here - had zero impact.

Do you think Brandon will play next week or will Reid or Jetta be tested, doesn't matter if we win or lose we will finish 4th

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 08:06 PM
I think Jack will replace Lamb to be honest - Lamb has been pretty good this year but is not very physical.

Reid/Jetta/Goodes/LRT - you can forget about all of them I think. Goodesy may be the only one considered because of his experience/ability. We have been cruelled by injury but we are still top 4. Where the is life.....

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 08:11 PM
Not panic stations yet but the young ones are not up to it and I think Everitt is a dumb footballer and we at too slow.

What has to happen before we get to panic stations? Can't beat any top teams, shockingly devoid of form and completely decimated by injuries? Welcome to panic stations.

aardvark
24th August 2013, 08:12 PM
Cats very very good today. Way too much class for us. Back to back is looking a long way away.

Swans500
24th August 2013, 08:14 PM
LOL....The Tippett love fest is over today.....

Ludwig
24th August 2013, 08:18 PM
Lol Ludwig - are you watching the same game?

I am not that impressed by them to be honest - we are playing poorly and injuries in this game have hurt. They might be gettable away from home.

Yes, I am serious.

We should know what to expect. We are up against the league champs in drawing free kicks and it's their home ground. The ump is only waiting to exhale whenever the ball comes into Selwood's vicinity. When you are desperate to just hold on to possession, this is what happens. They were constantly a couple of steps ahead of us.

We got slaughtered in all the key indicators, possessions, tackles, inside 50s. Not just the free kick count.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 08:21 PM
Ludwig - do you think that Geelong would have done the same at ANY other ground than Kardinia Park?

Its like the Eagles at home there - whistle and give the ball to the home team. They are NOT that good - I would rather play them in the GF than Hawthorn or Collingwood.

Ludwig
24th August 2013, 08:25 PM
Now that 4th is a lock, we can rest up next week and get ready for the replay at the MCG.
We have no chance of beating this lot, but maybe Freo can.
At least we get to play Hawthorn on a Friday night in week one of the the finals, which is the best result possible for us.
Our form is a worry, but what can you do? We just have to hope that something clicks in once finals start.

liz
24th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Ludwig - do you think that Geelong would have done the same at ANY other ground than Kardinia Park?

Its like the Eagles at home there - whistle and give the ball to the home team. They are NOT that good - I would rather play them in the GF than Hawthorn or Collingwood.

Dunno - they were pretty good today. Whatever pressure the Swans tried to apply they just swatted away. And their ball use is sensational. They almost never make a mistake. It isn't complete panic stations yet, as we got shown up last year against the Cats in the final round. But without so many of our better players - and particularly our quicker, x-factor players - either injured or only just returning from injury, it is hard to see how things can be turned around this year.

Melbourne_Blood
24th August 2013, 08:28 PM
You would rather play Geelong than Collingwood in a GF? Seriously ?

stellation
24th August 2013, 08:29 PM
That was a strange game to watch. I don't normally feel hard done by with umpires, but I did feel that they were absolutely right there and trigger happy for every free that could potentially go to Geelong and reluctant to award them to us.

Hard to praise or be critical after a game about that... and it might just be the beer... but... Craig Bird has started to kind of @@@@ me this year.

Melbournehammer
24th August 2013, 08:29 PM
Yes, I am serious.

We should know what to expect. We are up against the league champs in drawing free kicks and it's their home ground. The ump is only waiting to exhale whenever the ball comes into Selwood's vicinity. When you are desperate to just hold on to possession, this is what happens. They were constantly a couple of steps ahead of us.

We got slaughtered in all the key indicators, possessions, tackles, inside 50s. Not just the free kick count.

Ludwig is clearly correct. We lost because we repeatedly made dumb decisions, and because they clearly are Better than us both inside and outside.

If I was them I'd put Hawkins a way for 2013.

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 08:31 PM
Yes MB - absolutely - Collingwood have an X factor that I can't explain, over us. Geelong at the G are much different from Kardinia Park.

BTW their 'record' at the ground is total crap - they only play the non-victorian sides there. When was the last time they played any of Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond/Hawthorn etc etc there?

It is a 'false' record.

annew
24th August 2013, 08:31 PM
Now that 4th is a lock, we can rest up next week and get ready for the replay at the MCG.
We have no chance of beating this lot, but maybe Freo can.
At least we get to play Hawthorn on a Friday night in week one of the the finals, which is the best result possible for us.
Our form is a worry, but what can you do? We just have to hope that something clicks in once finals start.
I agree plus we did lose to Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn in the last 4 rounds last year. Hard to go back to back, and if you include Shaw as he was out early there were 9 players from the premiership team missing. Hoe we can at least win one final and get to the prelim

Melbournehammer
24th August 2013, 08:32 PM
That was a strange game to watch. I don't normally feel hard done by with umpires, but I did feel that they were absolutely right there and trigger happy for every free that could potentially go to Geelong and reluctant to award them to us.

Hard to praise or be critical after a game about that... and it might just be the beer... but... Craig Bird has started to kind of @@@@ me this year.

Craig birds kicking has not improved over the course of his career. He still gets. Under the ball too often and lacks penetration on the kick. But when he plays hff he lacks speed to keep the ball in and can't get free as a player. He becomes very one dimensional.

Ludwig
24th August 2013, 08:32 PM

Well, if they're not that good, then what does that say about us? I actually think they are the form team at the moment.

They certainly got the better of free kicks, but we were totally outplayed. They seemed to be playing with double the number of players we had. They got more players to the contest, but still seem to outnumber us all over the ground. We were really slow.

Melbournehammer
24th August 2013, 08:37 PM
Well, if they're not that good, then what does that say about us? I actually think they are the form team at the moment.

They certainly got the better of free kicks, but we were totally outplayed. They seemed to be playing with double the number of players we had. They got more players to the contest, but still seem to outnumber us all over the ground. We were really slow.

I've been saying for a few weeks now that I think it is gee longs flag to lose. They have too much pace for hawthorn a nd lonergan and Taylor as well as Jackie and rivers make it very hard to score against.

Things can still go wrong on. Any particular night but I do think we are about 6th in line for the flag as it stands. Just hope we don't go out in straight sets

hot potato
24th August 2013, 08:41 PM
A masterclass by the Cats. Made Sydney look very inferior, who usually fight back but They were not allowed to tonight.
McVeigh was fantastic though, he's so polished , makes many of the others look very average. Cats supporters must love going to SS.
They look like the Premiers this year . Hawks unimpressive against Roos.

HP

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 08:42 PM
Agree, we were @@@@ - but we should be with the injuries we have. Shaw played no part and Hannebery and Smith were clearly injured during the game. Easy to get sucked in at Geelong - have you witnessed a game there?

There will be no finals played at Kardinia Park. Anyone who compares this team to their previous Premiership teams is not thinking straight. Hawkins - injured. Podsiadly - just going and can't run. No ruckman of note.

Yeah they looked good but I reckon away from home they will be exposed. Wait and see.

YES were terrible. We won't win the flag - too many injuries this year.

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 08:43 PM
Injury has @@@@@@ us. If we had a full squad we'd probably beat sitting undefeated on the top of the ladder, and unbeatable. But we constantly have to rearrange the team to cover for injuries.

crackedactor
24th August 2013, 08:45 PM

They certainly got the better of free kicks, but we were totally outplayed. They seemed to be playing with double the number of players we had. They got more players to the contest, but still seem to outnumber us all over the ground. We were really slow. New rule was introduced today. I see you can take a player to the ground regardless if he has the ball or not. I think I seen this at least 20 times today that a swans player was taken out before he could even enter the contest and not one free kick was paid, amazing what they can get away with. Must be a new rule I did not hear about or is this just a Kardinia Park rule?

I hope this new rule does not apply in the finals!!

Foreign Legion
24th August 2013, 08:47 PM
Injury has @@@@@@ us. If we had a full squad we'd probably beat sitting undefeated on the top of the ladder, and unbeatable. But we constantly have to rearrange the team to cover for injuries.

Agree, maybe we need Stephen Dank to help us LOL - joke only!!

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 09:02 PM
New rule was introduced today. I see you can take a player to the ground regardless if he has the ball or not. I think I seen this at least 20 times today that a swans player was taken out before he could even enter the contest and not one free kick was paid, amazing what they can get away with. Must be a new rule I did not hear about or is this just a Kardinia Park rule?

I noticed this too. It seems that pressure football is confused with 'just constantly infringe' football, but hey, Geelong can do whatever they like.

- - - Updated - - -

I see no difference between the this Swans team and the Swans teams of previous years that gallantly made the finals only to be clearly making up the numbers.

Auntie.Gerald
24th August 2013, 09:04 PM
i thought that we contained the tsunami that is Gellong for most of the game

but the Cats are a long way ahead of where we need to be to win a GF in my opinion !

annew
24th August 2013, 09:05 PM
We are missing X factor - run and excitement + a hell of a lot of experience.

Auntie.Gerald
24th August 2013, 09:10 PM
i was happy Gary got thru the game though - very positive outcome for moving into the finals

i'm-uninformed2
24th August 2013, 09:16 PM
Be philosophical. Injuries have caught up with us. Hard to ask the likes of Mitchell and Lamb be dominant in big games this early. It's just what it is.

Look how quick Geelong got back to challenging. With luck we are there next year too.

We've actually done well to finish top 4 given we've lost our top goal kicker and runner in Jetta, champ in Goodes, third tall in Johnson, young key in Reid .... You get the idea.

Cheer_Cheer
24th August 2013, 09:22 PM
I think we miss players like Jetta (outside mids).. When we won the ball in the cliches we couldn't get it moving forward fast enough. We did last year and that was a big part of the slingshot... I hate making excuses but with our list of injuries it is going to be tough to challenge this year.. I haven't totally given up though..

Auntie.Gerald
24th August 2013, 09:29 PM
great to see Jesse remain in solid form and take on the game today

mcs
24th August 2013, 09:43 PM
New rule was introduced today. I see you can take a player to the ground regardless if he has the ball or not. I think I seen this at least 20 times today that a swans player was taken out before he could even enter the contest and not one free kick was paid, amazing what they can get away with. Must be a new rule I did not hear about or is this just a Kardinia Park rule?

So do I - that happened so many times. There was one period in a couple of minutes where three or four players got dragged off the ball, before they got anywhere near actually getting the ball - really poor umpiring. But that is playing Geelong at Geelong - all the calls will always go their way.

But we were rubbish today - seriously ordinary! We really are lacking that experience and class of our quality players that are out, and our bottom handful of players were really exposed today. But, the one promising thing I thought was that we did really just manage to hang in, and at least we didn't get absolutely mauled on the scoreboard at the end.

I hope we give some of the guys a rest next week, as we will have nothing to play for and may as well try and recharge a few batteries in the process. Our midfield especially is looking seriously tired now, and we are if anything limping into finals. At least last year we might of got beat by Collingwood (but should have won) and lost to Hawthorn in a high quality match. This year we got flogged by the Pies, got flogged by the Cats, and next week will be tough.

To win a flag, so much has to fall your way, and it just doesn't seem to be falling our way as such this year.

dimelb
24th August 2013, 09:54 PM
The umps were wildly inconsistent, but we lost because Geelong played better football. Their skills, hand and foot, are a level or two above ours.
Why can we not kick more directly to players in space? We put in more high kicks than the Folies Bergere today, while Geelong nailed nearly every kick and mark.They also positioned themselves much better, in the clear and ready to receive while we were trying to work out how to unwrap the octopus' tentacles.
Our midfield is still good but not the best. We are really missing our injured, especially Goodes and Jetta. Let's hope we can get some run into Jetta and Reid next week. And I agree about Dre, his decision-making under pressure is not good.

- - - Updated - - -

Just on the TV: Shaw has done an ACL and is going in for LARS on Monday.

msb
24th August 2013, 09:59 PM
Aaahh why did I bother going to that @@@@ of a place, I am never going there again, you just have no hope of winning, getting food, going to the toilet! Horrible venue, even though they have fixed it up....anyway onto the game and we were disappointing but it also comes down to personnel and players like Lamb and Mitchell aren't ready for hard, pressure games like that IMO and will be exposed in finals. I'm not giving up hope yet but yes we are a long way off back to back.

Bloodthirsty
24th August 2013, 10:06 PM
Ahhh @@@@. Seriously, how many players will retire at the end of this year? Shaw may well. LRT, Bolton, maybe Goodes. Maybe the club will come to rue not giving Morton a game.

hot potato
24th August 2013, 10:12 PM
Got bashed up. Hope they have hurried out of there, scary place. Must be haunted.

annew
24th August 2013, 10:17 PM
Just on the TV: Shaw has done an ACL and is going in for LARS on Monday.[/QUOTE]
Also said tha Hannabery did his knee and oilman run the game out - I thought he did

erica
24th August 2013, 10:24 PM
Shaw ACL and Hanners corky.

Source: ACL rules Shaw out of finals - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-08-24/acl-rules-shaw-out-of-finals)

crackedactor
24th August 2013, 10:27 PM
Just on the TV: Shaw has done an ACL and is going in for LARS on Monday.
Also said tha Hannabery did his knee and oilman run the game out - I thought he did[/QUOTE]What do you mean did his knee??? It that a knock on the knee, bruising, jarring or something more serious?

DK_
24th August 2013, 10:30 PM

I agree. Bulldogs did this to us and have raised the flag for everyone who plays us. Don't understand why the umpires allow it to happen. I'm not one for whinging about umpires, but today was ridiculous.

I don't feel as bad about this one as Collingwood, but maybe that's just because I don't have to watch O'Brien carrying on like a c@ck and setting the standard for the supporters. I've actually got a soft spot for Geelong. They're very professional and miter twining to etch.

I thought the midfield improved on their performances of the last few weeks, but aren't quite there yet. At least they're moving in the right direction! JPK was good again. McVeigh went well. Pyke was brilliant! Rohan looked better than last week and should keep building.

The worst part of it was Shaw. Absolute disaster. We just don't have the same run off defence without him.

Maybe we might hit our straps at just the right time? Or maybe we'll take the even years and Geelong will take the odd years for the next decade or so?

swansrob
24th August 2013, 10:39 PM
Shaw is 31 and set for another decent layoff. Could he have played his last game?

Swans500
24th August 2013, 10:42 PM
Hannerbury OK according to coach...

annew
24th August 2013, 10:42 PM
If we can't win or get to the grand final I hope Freo does. They are smashing port.

dimelb
24th August 2013, 10:44 PM
Hanners cleared of injury.

Rhyce Shaw will miss finals with ACL injury - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-24/knee-sees-shaw-out-of-finals)

Captain
24th August 2013, 11:16 PM
Geelong really exposed our more inexperienced and fringe players.

Lamb, Mitchell and Everitt were all shown up by better and more experienced opponents. Would love to swap these 3 for Reid, Jetta and Goodes.

undy
24th August 2013, 11:27 PM
Goodes and LRT are both itching to play on and both were in good form before they got injured they will be back. Given Shaw is having a LARS, I think he is intending to play on.

wolftone57
24th August 2013, 11:44 PM
Geelong really exposed our more inexperienced and fringe players.

Lamb, Mitchell and Everitt were all shown up by better and more experienced opponents. Would love to swap these 3 for Reid, Jetta and Goodes.

Cats showed up our experienced players too. Ryano 6 possies, Mal did not hit one target all day and bombed away without hope. Macca stuffed up more often than not although he was one of our better players. Smithy even stuffed up. The game plan is the problem and they had a ball again today by our just bombing the ball to a tall forward and having two extra players back to create an overlap. We fell for this ploy the first time we played them I thought our coaches might have learnt, maybe not. Maybe they don't have an alternative plan. Bomb the @@@@ing ball into Tippett every time even though he had two players on him and one intercepting instead of looking for open players who these guys should have been on.

The game plan stinks like a Skunk!!! We are going out of the finals the week after the Qualifying final. Can I make one observation about the Cats game plan, it relies upon the opposition @@@@ing up by bombing the ball long instead of pinpointing. We also kept flooding their forward line, we did this against Pies as well and it didn't work then so why would it work now. Bloody stupid. Why can't we play one on one footy like we used to, why not trust the players John? The flood is a mistake and will always be exploited today! You are an idiot if you think any different.

By the way what the @@@@ was the idea of playing Ryano on Bartell all day when he had been slaughtered all day. When something is not working try something else John. By the way did you notice Ryano is not fast enough for Bartell? He gave Cats so much run. Mackie did not have an opponent all night and had over 30 possies, he was very lonely the last time we played too, maybe he has BO.

- - - Updated - - -

Goodes and LRT are both itching to play on and both were in good form before they got injured they will be back. Given Shaw is having a LARS, I think he is intending to play on.

Goodes and LRT have not even started training yet. Jetts and Sammy trained with the Resies today so maybe get them back. would be good to get Jetts back. But little chance of Goodsie or LRT. Although with Goodsie you never know. LRT has not played all season, since round 4 I believe. Goodes since mid season. Be real!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Shaw is 31 and set for another decent layoff. Could he have played his last game?

Rhyce is finished. So is Bolts, Ryano and LRT I should think. By the way I think either Mal is injured or he does just what the coach tells him or he is an idiot. Because in the last few weeks, he has been caught HTB, has no awareness at all, has failed to hit too many targets and is @@@@ful. I will give him the doubt and say he is injured. But if not then he can go too

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Bulldogs did this to us and have raised the flag for everyone who plays us. Don't understand why the umpires allow it to happen. I'm not one for whinging about umpires, but today was ridiculous.

I don't feel as bad about this one as Collingwood, but maybe that's just because I don't have to watch O'Brien carrying on like a c@ck and setting the standard for the supporters. I've actually got a soft spot for Geelong. They're very professional and miter twining to etch.

I thought the midfield improved on their performances of the last few weeks, but aren't quite there yet. At least they're moving in the right direction! JPK was good again. McVeigh went well. Pyke was brilliant! Rohan looked better than last week and should keep building.

The worst part of it was Shaw. Absolute disaster. We just don't have the same run off defence without him.

Maybe we might hit our straps at just the right time? Or maybe we'll take the even years and Geelong will take the odd years for the next decade or so?

DK said:

I hate Cats, Pies, Dons, Blues, Norf, most of the Victorian clubs actually. I don't give a @@@@ who they are I want to beat them. They are Victorians!!!! The ENEMY!!! I am a New South Welshman, born in Broken Hill. Always hated SA & Vic.

Ludwig
25th August 2013, 12:06 AM
The Negative: All the top 5 teams had big victories this weekend and are looking in fine form, except for you know who.

The Positive: Of the top 5 teams, we are only one that can afford to flirt with our form :hmmmm2:

wolftone57
25th August 2013, 12:11 AM
The Negative: All the top 5 teams had big victories this weekend and are looking in fine form, except for you know who.

The Positive: Of the top 5 teams, we are only one that can afford to flirt with our form :hmmmm2:

Crap Ludwig about us being the only side that can afford to flirt with our form. We have to come into our form or go out. If we meet Hawks first week and Pies second week we may as well look to next year. Without a miracle we won't get many of our injured back and some of our experience players are not leading the way they are panicking!!! We are not protecting the player with the ball either like we normally do. We are playing 2011 footy, all for ourselves to get the ball no shepherding.

Bloodthirsty
25th August 2013, 12:29 AM
At which point is the club and it's supporters going to cease their obsession with players who will be great IN THE FUTURE? We got teased, bullied and beaten up today - we need either pure pace or strong experienced bodies. We should bring in Jetta ASAP no matter how underdone he is. And for @@@@'s sake, Mitch Morton is in our best 22 players capable of winning a premiership in 2013. Some people have been saying to bring in Brandon Jack as a solution. Sorry but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Mitchell, Everitt and Lamb get shown up and people are throwing around Brandon Jack's name as an improvement? The ONLY positive was Rohan - oh, and maybe another positive is that everyone will go back to not taking us seriously anymore.

rojo
25th August 2013, 12:48 AM
I think the ABC commentary team agreed pretty much with Wolfie's assessment. They were very disappointed in, and David Parkin scathing of the Swans' game. Their opinion was that only a handful of Swans played the kind of football that is the Swans brand. Really it only needed a team like the Cats to show up what many on RWO have been saying over the past few weeks about bombing the ball long into the forward line, hoping that the tall forwards will somehow manufacture a goal, even with no one at their feet (except opposition players) even if they bring it to the ground. According to the commentary there were no forwards leading towards the person with the ball either, KT evidently did once! They reckoned many of the Swans were playing 'selfish' football, kicking blindly, handballing to someone in a worse position than himself, just to get rid of the ball and let it be someone else's problem. They used the word 'jittery'. I have noticed that trend over the past few games too. Instead of handballing to someone on the outside, or kicking to a target there has been this 'just get rid of it' even if it is straight to an opposition player, propensity. With the very good teams you can't get away with it. I don't think I will be rushing to see a replay!

jono2707
25th August 2013, 12:57 AM
I thought Geelong were very good today.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaahh why did I bother going to that @@@@ of a place, I am never going there again, you just have no hope of winning, getting food, going to the toilet! Horrible venue

I thought we were playing in Geelong today, not Homebush....

crackedactor
25th August 2013, 01:00 AM
I think the ABC commentary team agreed pretty much with Wolfie's assessment. They were very disappointed in, and David Parkin scathing of the Swans' game. Their opinion was that only a handful of Swans played the kind of football that is the Swans brand. Really it only needed a team like the Cats to show up what many on RWO have been saying over the past few weeks about bombing the ball long into the forward line, hoping that the tall forwards will somehow manufacture a goal, even with no one at their feet (except opposition players) even if they bring it to the ground. According to the commentary there were no forwards leading towards the person with the ball either, KT evidently did once! They reckoned many of the Swans were playing 'selfish' football, kicking blindly, handballing to someone in a worse position than himself, just to get rid of the ball and let it be someone else's problem. They used the word 'jittery'. I have noticed that trend over the past few games too. Instead of handballing to someone on the outside, or kicking to a target there has been this 'just get rid of it' even if it is straight to an opposition player, propensity. With the very good teams you can't get away with it. I don't think I will be rushing to see a replay!I would not read too much into the way we played today. If you show your hand before finals the opposition will work out your strengths and weaknesses. I really do believe we will change the way we play come finals football. As I said before if we play the
way we did against Adelaide and Collingwood mid year and still don't win the flag, I will not be unhappy.

Melbourne_Blood
25th August 2013, 01:39 AM
So in your opinion we're Currently practicing a game style we will abandon when The finals start,In favour of a different game plan, so as to not reveal our hand to the opposition teams? Meanwhile producing some of the poorest football we've played all year,? On the eve of finals. Sounds like a great plan to me.

annew
25th August 2013, 02:28 AM
We are done for this year, but I will be happy to be proven wrong. Must admit thought it was bad fixturing for the 2 grand finalists from last year to be playing each oher in the last round. I reckon we will be slaughtered against hawthorn at the MCG in first final, wouldn't be surprised if we go close to them next week only for them to thrash us the following week. Where oh where has our zip gone?

Bloody Hell
25th August 2013, 04:14 AM
I'm pretty sure O'Keefe's role would have been to give him a "rest". There is no other obvious reason.

Matt79
25th August 2013, 07:38 AM
So much negativity! We were beaten by the better team who were 100% full strength on their home turf.

I do tend to remember we lost to Hawthorn and Geelong in the final two rounds last year and our own supporters were writing us off...we know what happened next!!

Next week v Hawthorn Hanners and ROK need a rest before finals to freshen up. I also think we need to virtually throw Jetta and Reid in. If they re-injure oh well we were probably going to be without them for the finals anyway. But they need a run before finals to see if they can add something this late in the season after injury.

Another positive, we are playing in Melbourne for the qualifying final.

So v Hawks
In: Cunningham, Bolton, Jetta, Reid
Out: Shaw (inj), ROK (rest) Hanners (rest) and one more with niggling injuries to rest

hot potato
25th August 2013, 09:09 AM
Commentators have to come up with some smart analysis, but when The opposition are running rings around you, it's a battle just to get hold of the bloody pill, let alone do anything with it.
Where's Paul Kelly when you need him .
The Cats Are Pill Possession Maniacs . Good lesson fr them.

Swansinger
25th August 2013, 09:45 AM
I envy those who could get to the game. If you thought the loss was painful , it was not as bad as listening to Eddie "I support two teams - Collingwood and whoever is playing against the Swans" McGuire.

Some of us criticised the recent game-plan of "bomb it long to KT" . But did we really need to change it to bombing it long to Harry Taylor ?!

Teddy was good , as was JPK. Reg was not bad.Tom tried his heart out. And six contested marks for Pykey - impressive.

Injuries were a factor in the margin , but hardly decisive.

Primmy
25th August 2013, 09:51 AM
To me it looks like some of the kids are showing that they are kids and still have a long way to go. Panic and a lack of calm is evident. Some of the older men are no longer as quick as they were. Decision making is awful too often.

Importantly, the synergy has been stripped. It was on show right through until a few weeks ago, and it has thinned out. No longer a settled team. Too many changes, no longer sure of what their team mate is going to do, old guard coming in and playing like they always have thereby fracturing the recently established patterns, some fringe players too anxious about their future to concentrate fully on their present and are becoming easily 'bullied'.

Tippert is good for the team, but the team don't know how to fully play to a leading forward because we haven't had a good one for years. Upwards of 3 big talls, one of whom is not exactly known for his expertise and timing, spoiling each other.

We look like a jigsaw puzzle that is not properly joined together yet. May not be again this year.

Grand Final 2013. No. Grand Final 2014? Maybe.

undy
25th August 2013, 10:01 AM
Quote Originally Posted by undy

Goodes and LRT have not even started training yet. Jetts and Sammy trained with the Resies today so maybe get them back. would be good to get Jetts back. But little chance of Goodsie or LRT. Although with Goodsie you never know. LRT has not played all season, since round 4 I believe. Goodes since mid season. Be real!!!

I was replying to Bloodthirsty's lament about Goodsie, LRT, Bolton and Shaw retiring at the end of the year... the app lost the original context.

Probably Bolton, Morton and Mattner to go at the end of this year.
We've done well to make the top 4 with the players we have had injured. Its a great opportunity to get some finals experience into the younger players and anything else must be an unexpected bonus.

Bloodthirsty
25th August 2013, 10:55 AM
So much negativity! We were beaten by the better team who were 100% full strength on their home turf.

I do tend to remember we lost to Hawthorn and Geelong in the final two rounds last year and our own supporters were writing us off...we know what happened next!!

Next week v Hawthorn Hanners and ROK need a rest before finals to freshen up. I also think we need to virtually throw Jetta and Reid in. If they re-injure oh well we were probably going to be without them for the finals anyway. But they need a run before finals to see if they can add something this late in the season after injury.

Another positive, we are playing in Melbourne for the qualifying final.

So v Hawks
In: Cunningham, Bolton, Jetta, Reid
Out: Shaw (inj), ROK (rest) Hanners (rest) and one more with niggling injuries to rest

Completely agree.

In: Cunningham, Bolton, Reid, Jetta, Morton
Out: Shaw, Everitt (omitted), maybe Lamb if he doesn't look like a GF player, plus rest some stars. The Hawks game is a dead rubber.

Someone's surmise that we are deliberately playing an unSwans-like gameplan currently.....well TBH that's not the craziest I've heard. There could well be some truth and merit to that. If we can all see the basic strategic errors, then I'm sure Longmire knows all about them. The opposition are showing all their cards, we're not, plus half our team is missing so there's little point.

DK_
25th August 2013, 10:56 AM
I envy those who could get to the game. If you thought the loss was painful , it was not as bad as listening to Eddie "I support two teams - Collingwood and whoever is playing against the Swans" McGuire.

Some of us criticised the recent game-plan of "bomb it long to KT" . But did we really need to change it to bombing it long to Harry Taylor ?!

Teddy was good , as was JPK. Reg was not bad.Tom tried his heart out. And six contested marks for Pykey - impressive.

Injuries were a factor in the margin , but hardly decisive.

I'm with you. Eddie is simply awful as a commentator. He doesn't even make up for it by being good at something else (except maybe pretending to be shocked by Collingwood member behaviour). Can't stand him on any level. Wish he wasn't on TV.

As I descend into despondency, I'm starting to suspect that the Swans were just bombing it long, full stop. Tippett was just good enough to make his way onto the end of it a lot of the time.

On the positive side, Teddy and JPK are back to last year's form and just at the right time. Pyke and White are far better than anyone would have expected of them at the start of the year. Rampe and Tippett have been revelations. Reg is back to being solid. But what has been happening with the rest of them? Where did it all go wrong?

What happened to the team that took apart Richmond? The current team demonstrated their class that day, but the midfield just haven't seemed to click since. Our attack has seemed disorganised and second-rate in every game. Our handballing out of trouble, which used to be carried out with the finesse of a philharmonic orchestra, just seems to be a series of fumbles which end up in the hands of the opposition. Our player placement, which used to look like a grand chess-master was pushing the players around, now looks much the same, but with an opposition player where a man in red and white used to be. We seem to be out-tackled in every single game.

Did the Bulldogs show the top 8 how to beat us (by illegally tackling players off the ball) even though they didn't have the class to finish it off themselves? Have the returnees upset the apple cart? Has the ramped-up training load been too harsh on some young bodies?

If I try to be positive, I tell myself that we lost three of the last four last year. But we were awesome in the Hawthorn game and good in the Collingwood game, even though we lost. Our losses have been simply awful this year.

I look at the start of the year, where we were poor against some poor opposition and got resoundingly beaten by Collingwood and Geelong, but suddenly clicked in the most emphatic way possible when the chips were down. I know from experience that the Swans like to go the hardest possible way (and for the supporters, the most stressful). They've come back when all seems lost so many times. But can they turn things around in just two weeks?

I'm sure that Longmire won't lose sleep on whether we have a home final or not, so maybe there's some strategy or subterfuge in play. Last year Jetta disappeared from the goal-scoring stats and seemed to spend a lot of time down back for the last quarter of the year, only to burst back onto the scene in the finals. There's no doubt that Longmire is a brilliant coach. Despite his protestations to the contrary, from observance I can see his strategies play out far beyond winning the next game. But I can't see a similar play here. Hopefully that's just because I'm not awesome like Horse!

I'm hoping, but it feels like that's all it is.

Bloodthirsty
25th August 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm with you. Eddie is simply awful as a commentator. He doesn't even make up for it by being good at something else (except maybe pretending to be shocked by Collingwood member behaviour). Can't stand him on any level. Wish he wasn't on TV.

As I descend into despondency, I'm starting to suspect that the Swans were just bombing it long, full stop. Tippett was just good enough to make his way onto the end of it a lot of the time.

On the positive side, Teddy and JPK are back to last year's form and just at the right time. Pyke and White are far better than anyone would have expected of them at the start of the year. Rampe and Tippett have been revelations. Reg is back to being solid. But what has been happening with the rest of them? Where did it all go wrong?

What happened to the team that took apart Richmond? The current team demonstrated their class that day, but the midfield just haven't seemed to click since. Our attack has seemed disorganised and second-rate in every game. Our handballing out of trouble, which used to be carried out with the finesse of a philharmonic orchestra, just seems to be a series of fumbles which end up in the hands of the opposition. Our player placement, which used to look like a grand chess-master was pushing the players around, now looks much the same, but with an opposition player where a man in red and white used to be. We seem to be out-tackled in every single game.

Did the Bulldogs show the top 8 how to beat us (by illegally tackling players off the ball) even though they didn't have the class to finish it off themselves? Have the returnees upset the apple cart? Has the ramped-up training load been too harsh on some young bodies?

If I try to be positive, I tell myself that we lost three of the last four last year. But we were awesome in the Hawthorn game and good in the Collingwood game, even though we lost. Our losses have been simply awful this year.

I look at the start of the year, where we were poor against some poor opposition and got resoundingly beaten by Collingwood and Geelong, but suddenly clicked in the most emphatic way possible when the chips were down. I know from experience that the Swans like to go the hardest possible way (and for the supporters, the most stressful). They've come back when all seems lost so many times. But can they turn things around in just two weeks?

I'm sure that Longmire won't lose sleep on whether we have a home final or not, so maybe there's some strategy or subterfuge in play. Last year Jetta disappeared from the goal-scoring stats and seemed to spend a lot of time down back for the last quarter of the year, only to burst back onto the scene in the finals. There's no doubt that Longmire is a brilliant coach. Despite his protestations to the contrary, from observance I can see his strategies play out far beyond winning the next game. But I can't see a similar play here. Hopefully that's just because I'm not awesome like Horse!

I'm hoping, but it feels like that's all it is.

Good post DK. Yes, we have gone from a philharmonic orchestra at the Opera House to Britany Spears lip-syncing at a trailer park.

Ruck'n'Roll
25th August 2013, 12:40 PM
We looked pretty horrible in this game last year too. It's largely irrelevant , it would be nice to see us play some decent footy coming into finals though. The injuries weve copped today haven't helped.

It is a remarkably similar pattern to last year. And i believe it may not be coincidental (as was suggested after the maggots game, the swans may be deliberately over training ATM, so they can taper in the finals). So I'm not going to run round squawking "the sky is falling" and call for 6 changes to the team.
Don't misunderstand me i don't believe we can go back to back, I believe that boat sailed over a month ago, far too many injuries to KPP and speedy players.

stellation
25th August 2013, 01:30 PM
Did my eyes deceive me, or was Jesse in the centre square as a mid for one of the bounces?

annew
25th August 2013, 01:33 PM
If our mids can get their mo jo and running game back we just might be a chance.

Bloodthirsty
25th August 2013, 01:41 PM
Reid for Everitt?
Jetta for Lamb?
Morton for somebody?
Is Cunningham good enough to play a role in finals footy?

Melbournehammer
25th August 2013, 02:01 PM
Did my eyes deceive me, or was Jesse in the centre square as a mid for one of the bounces?

Actually he was in there for most of the fourth quarter bounces. I sort of understood the thinking - he was our only player all day who looked like he could break a tackle and did seem creative enough.

Don't think he actually touched it mind you

Nich
25th August 2013, 02:14 PM
I would not read too much into the way we played today. If you show your hand before finals the opposition will work out your strengths and weaknesses. I really do believe we will change the way we play come finals football. As I said before if we play the
way we did against Adelaide and Collingwood mid year and still don't win the flag, I will not be unhappy.

I'm with you as well. I've got no doubt the players are smart enough to know what they have to do and I know they can do it. They are playing a diff type of footy at the moment, for what reason im not completely sure but im sure the Coaches know whats going on. Come next week and Sept it will change for the better. I'm sure!

There was a moment yesterday when Gary led up 'unmarked' 40 out in front and they kicked to Pyke 20 out in front with 2 on him. Now Pykey marked and kicked the goal so all good but what has been happening is when that mark is not taken the opposing team just rebounds so quickly because we have no one there at the 'drop zone'. We sure are playing a weird brand but hopefully as I said they do the old switcheroo next week/Sept and screw their heads back on. Looking forward to it!

DK_
25th August 2013, 02:19 PM
It is a remarkably similar pattern to last year. And i believe it may not be coincidental (as was suggested after the maggots game, the swans may be deliberately over training ATM, so they can taper in the finals). So I'm not going to run round squawking "the sky is falling" and call for 6 changes to the team.
Don't misunderstand me i don't believe we can go back to back, I believe that boat sailed over a month ago, far too many injuries to KPP and speedy players.

I'd run around like the sky's falling if Horse made 6 changes. That would say he's got no strategy and is now panicking.

baskin
25th August 2013, 02:24 PM
84yo dad has been saying for a number of weeks now a number of our players look sore, especially Hannebery. Teams have spent all year hunting us and have now worked out what to do. As well as tagging they hammer Hannebery and the other mids into the turf at every possibility.

He also believes the young newbies and the likes of Everitt, White & Rampe while playing from well to brilliantly through the year would be tiring now on the back of playing so many senior games on the trot, which they haven't done before. (Mind you White & Rampe look ok to me!)

I tend to listen to my Dad as he is much more level headed than me. He still thinks we are a chance, but only if we have no more injuries and LRT could make it back in.

Wardy
25th August 2013, 02:45 PM
geez kind of glad I didn't see any of it - heard enough on the radio and thankfully had other things to do & places to be. But its just like last year - we had injuries, we lost our last few games - and then what happened? and who's to say that the saints wont belt the crap out of Freo (or Pav will belt someone and he's suspended again & Ballantyne will get flattened too), and the Lions maul the cats - stranger things have happened. Obviously the boys need to do some soul searching this week, to the youngsters - stop trying to be flash - you are not in that league yet - just be sensible & do what your team mates tell you. The older guys, need to be that steadying influence on the youngsters and it should all fall into placv. (a simplistic view, but it is just footy) Next week we need to just to keep up with the Hawks, and keep Buddy & Hodge in check. However that will all for naught of if Stevic is umpiring next week, then you can count it as a loss.

stellation
25th August 2013, 02:49 PM
Actually he was in there for most of the fourth quarter bounces. I sort of understood the thinking - he was our only player all day who looked like he could break a tackle and did seem creative enough.

Cool, I thought I saw it and was wondering if it was either just because they were short on numbers at one bounce or if it was a big acknowledgement by the coaching staff that he is starting to have an impact they were trying a Goodes style "throw a big guy in there to shake things up" thingy.

On what was a dour day, I genererally enjoyed Jesse's game. I thought it showed sustained development.

Melbournehammer
25th August 2013, 03:02 PM
Cool, I thought I saw it and was wondering if it was either just because they were short on numbers at one bounce or if it was a big acknowledgement by the coaching staff that he is starting to have an impact they were trying a Goodes style "throw a big guy in there to shake things up" thingy.

On what was a dour day, I genererally enjoyed Jesse's game. I thought it showed sustained development.

Actually to give him a bit more credit and to show horse was trying stuff about halfway through the third quarter he got moved to the goal square and they took Tippett off. I wasn't sure what they were thinking but it wasn't a rotation because nick Davis came out and they made the moves

Primmy
25th August 2013, 03:30 PM
Had a crappy incident this morning with frozen bread defrosting in my newascostabomb shopping tote. Bare with me here.

It wasn't in the frozen section, I didn't realise what was happening to the rest of my shopping and my new leather wallet etc. Long story short, I Went Off; saw the manager, many apologies, someone had done the wrong thing, would I accept a bunch of flowers, yes please, no you choose for me.

Big buncha redandwhite ones were presented to me. Kind of deflated my crappyness. Its a sign. Grand Final here we come!!! Someone start freezing loaves of bread!

Go Swannies
25th August 2013, 04:52 PM
Had a crappy incident this morning with frozen bread defrosting in my newascostabomb shopping tote. Bare with me here.

It wasn't in the frozen section, I didn't realise what was happening to the rest of my shopping and my new leather wallet etc. Long story short, I Went Off; saw the manager, many apologies, someone had done the wrong thing, would I accept a bunch of flowers, yes please, no you choose for me.

Big buncha redandwhite ones were presented to me. Kind of deflated my crappyness. Its a sign. Grand Final here we come!!! Someone start freezing loaves of bread!

So the motto for the 2013 Swans' finals campaign should be "Bread Tough!"?

dimelb
25th August 2013, 04:57 PM
Hope people don't mind, I thought a few positives might be in order, including one or two already mentioned.
1. Remember that poster photo of a lighthouse standing on a rock surrounded by pounding waves? Pykey marking, and goaling.
2. Ted. Enough said, despite imperfections.
3. Jesse continuing to step up; not just a flash in the pan.
4. Invaluable experience for youngsters.
5. Rohan still has it.
6. Benny's cameo of a crumbing forward. We need more than a cameo, more like a repeating loop. He could be our Chapman.
7. The sheer courage and persistence displayed by Hannebery, Jack and PPK.

hot potato
25th August 2013, 05:05 PM
8. Mcveighs work is consistently excellent.

Go Swannies
25th August 2013, 06:43 PM
This morning I was going to post in here but realised that everything I was going to say was identical to what I was going to say after the Cats game at the end of last year. That makes me think that the game may have been an aberration (or a clever plan), just as last year's was. I'd like to think that it will lead to the same conclusion as last year but I feel that we won't go B2B as too many players are out, too many kids have had a long season and too many good players will be out of form if we do try to bring them in. I hope I'm wrong.

Meanwhile, I'd take next Friday as a dead rubber and play the kids, try different positions and give Hanners (and maybe Kieren) a week off. We will finish 4th and we will almost certainly be playing the Hawks two weeks in a row. I'd take a loss this week for a win the week after. The team have the skill to do it but whether they have the endurance and the will - and the coaching - we'll have to wait to find out.

My conspiracy theory is based on the fact that I don't think Harry taylor is as good as he seemed last night. It'll be interesting to see what happens if he and Kurt meet again in finals. On the downside, I hope Mr Goodes has the same impact when he returns as Chappy had.

As long as we don't win this week and lose next week . . .

Cardinal
25th August 2013, 08:00 PM
I thought we were smashed in the free kick count last night but Dogs currently have a 21 to 4 advantage over the Lions.

ugg
25th August 2013, 08:03 PM
The count is 24-21 lions

Nich
25th August 2013, 08:34 PM
The one main diff from getting spanked by the Cats end of last year was that Horse seemed a bit forlorn. Last year he was spraying the boys at the breaks. Maybe I missed it? He just seemed resigned to being 2nd best on the day? Am I over analysing things? Does he just know our injuries have cruelled our season and we are long shots for the Title or was he just thinking about September and what needs to be done to get them on track?

Cardinal
25th August 2013, 08:49 PM
The count is 24-21 lions

Wasn't the 21 to 4 count "out of the last 25" or did I mishear ?

ugg
25th August 2013, 09:01 PM
Wasn't the 21 to 4 count "out of the last 25" or did I mishear ?
Don't know I wasn't watching but if that was correct it means the Lions won the first 20 free kicks of the game

Auntie.Gerald
25th August 2013, 09:06 PM
i still think it is fairly simple - our brand of football only works effectively when we win the ball in and under more then the opposition no matter where the ball is on the field :)

we dont play a brand of football like Hawks, Cats, North Melb nor Richmond

The above teams above like to bring it thru the middle and push ahead of their defender and take it to the opposition when ever they can. The Cats for example are happy to have 10 uncontested possessions if need be to isolate the opposition, create overlaps and back their forward entries to some superior attacking players in which they have many !!!

The Swans prefer to kick (blindly quite often as long as its forward) to a heavily contested mark upfront and lead like crazy to this hot zone in numbers and win the ball through rabid pressure......... now this a very very good brand of football if you are not superior player dependent ie year in year out this is a defining combative in and under football strategy and it is a style of football that the right type of body types can forefill and we have seen this year after year the last 20yrs and we have undoubtedly recruited to fit this style of football.

The Swans identified this football strategy to be crucial to top 8 team year after year.......for year to year success, for sponsorship, for financial survival, for this continuity of results bids then the opportunity to win the hearts and minds of the media and its viewers/readers.

The difference last season was we perfectly complimented the hard bodies with a super fast and skillful Lewis Jetta and a Adam Goodes that killed it in the finals !

We dont have these guys as yet in our team for the 2013 finals !!!

I still like our overall strategy and I like our fast break slingshot counter to the forward press that was majorly employed last year - but right now it does not appear we have the players to counter the forward pressure of a Geelong, Freeo nor Hawks

I suspect with great certainty..............we wont change our strategy........... we will just rely on our key players to come back and be that spark in counter attack !

Im not 100% sure if this style of football with the players we have will be good enough in 2013 ?

giant
25th August 2013, 09:53 PM
Don't know I wasn't watching but if that was correct it means the Lions won the first 20 free kicks of the game

The count in our game was 19-5 at one point. And it felt like it. As fabulous as they are, I find it hard to love a team like the Cats that have turned getting those cheap frees into a cynical art form.

One of the crappiest/funniest things I've seen in a long time is Chris Scott howling over the free kick to McGlynn in the last qr - nws his team had received about a dozen equally soft throughout the game. He must have been a seriously one-eyed supporter as a kid...

DK_
25th August 2013, 10:24 PM

I suspect he would have been in there to perform a blocking role more than anything - though he does seem to have developed a habit of ripping the ball off the opposition and handing it off.

liz
25th August 2013, 10:33 PM
The count in our game was 19-5 at one point. And it felt like it. As fabulous as they are, I find it hard to love a team like the Cats that have turned getting those cheap frees into a cynical art form.

One of the crappiest/funniest things I've seen in a long time is Chris Scott howling over the free kick to McGlynn in the last qr - nws his team had received about a dozen equally soft throughout the game. He must have been a seriously one-eyed supporter as a kid...

Do you think either of the Scott brothers realise what prats they look with their continuous gestures of disbelief whenever their side gets a free paid against them? Or do they just not care?

aardvark
25th August 2013, 10:35 PM
great to see Jesse remain in solid form and take on the game today

Yep...all 6 of his kicks were pure class!

DK_
25th August 2013, 10:44 PM
3. Jesse continuing to step up; not just a flash in the pan.

I was worried about how he would stand up in a high pressure game, but he answered that well. I thought he was great. Some of the highlights:

Plenty of hard ball gets. He nearly ripped a Geelong player's arm off with the ball in the first qtr!

I think it was a McGlynn goal where Jesse pretty much held off the whole Geelong back 6 to give him time to get the shot off.

His big marks, good attacking runs, shrugging off of defenders and consistently good attacking options are brilliant.

But the area which he's really ramped up is his defensive pressure. I suspect he's been told that this is where Reid has the wood on him, because he's covered some massive distances at speed over the last couple of weeks to apply pressure and cut off attacks at the source.

If we get there, Jesse's renaissance will be one of the great stories of the year!

Ludwig
26th August 2013, 12:06 AM
I was worried about how he would stand up in a high pressure game, but he answered that well. I thought he was great. Some of the highlights:

Plenty of hard ball gets. He nearly ripped a Geelong player's arm off with the ball in the first qtr!

I think it was a McGlynn goal where Jesse pretty much held off the whole Geelong back 6 to give him time to get the shot off.

His big marks, good attacking runs, shrugging off of defenders and consistently good attacking options are brilliant.

But the area which he's really ramped up is his defensive pressure. I suspect he's been told that this is where Reid has the wood on him, because he's covered some massive distances at speed over the last couple of weeks to apply pressure and cut off attacks at the source.

If we get there, Jesse's renaissance will be one of the great stories of the year!

I've been saying this for a while. Having given up on Jesse, I have been very impressed by his progress and think he has already surpassed Reid as CHF (although this is based on one having played with Tippett and the other not).

If Jesse can be our first choice CHF, that gives us the option of having a long term backline the includes youngsters AJ and Reid. What a huge plus this would be for many years to come. That's a lot to build a team around, especially when you have two top Ruckmen and a very good young midfield.

mcs
26th August 2013, 10:11 AM
I've been saying this for a while. Having given up on Jesse, I have been very impressed by his progress and think he has already surpassed Reid as CHF (although this is based on one having played with Tippett and the other not).

If Jesse can be our first choice CHF, that gives us the option of having a long term backline the includes youngsters AJ and Reid. What a huge plus this would be for many years to come. That's a lot to build a team around, especially when you have two top Ruckmen and a very good young midfield.

I'm still not convinced by Jesse. No doubting his vast improvement this season, but he still isn't having the impact that he should be if he is to be our 'first choice CHF' - time will tell. At least it looks like it is starting to click though.

Melbournehammer
26th August 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm still not convinced by Jesse. No doubting his vast improvement this season, but he still isn't having the impact that he should be if he is to be our 'first choice CHF' - time will tell. At least it looks like it is starting to click though.

It's ok to be not convinced. But it is difficult to see what else he could do. He is taking contested marks, laying bumps, shepherding, tackling and taking the game on.

Surely it's not his fault that the midfield and flankers are getting absolutely murdered ?

Tbh the defense and Hawkins had more to do with us not losing by 15 goals than anything else

aardvark
26th August 2013, 11:01 AM
It's ok to be not convinced. But it is difficult to see what else he could do. He is taking contested marks, laying bumps, shepherding, tackling and taking the game on.

So our CHF has 6 kicks 2 contested marks 0 goals 0 points and he's doing a great job?

stellation
26th August 2013, 11:21 AM
So our CHF has 6 kicks 2 contested marks 0 goals 0 points and he's doing a great job?
You didn't think he played well? I don't think he dominated at all, I don't think any of our players did, but I did think he did pretty well considering the run of general play through the game- there wasn't exactly a lot of opportunities to pick up more possessions from midfielders having time to deliver well.

I guess everyone comes in with their existing views on things, but I do think it's interesting you choose to focus on 6 kicks, he had 6 handballs too- again that's not dominating, but 12 touches sounds a little different. He had 4 tackles, too- also nothing great really but only 5 guys playing for us had more than that, and 3 of those 5 were playing lockdown roles. It's interesting because that's an area he's needed to work on. Tippet should have goaled early in the game (when he missed running into open goals) due to a Jesse pressure act in the middle of the ground, it's nice to see him so focused.

If you think that 12 touches and 2 contested marks against a very good side isn't playing okay, don't go take a look at Sam Reid's career averages.

aardvark
26th August 2013, 11:27 AM
Stell I think Jesse is probably somewhere in the middle your opinion of him and my opinion of him. I thought his game was just ok for a wingman but poor for a KP forward.

Primmy
26th August 2013, 11:29 AM
I'm still not convinced by Jesse. No doubting his vast improvement this season, but he still isn't having the impact that he should be if he is to be our 'first choice CHF' - time will tell. At least it looks like it is starting to click though.I hold back on not being convinced. I learned my lesson when I wanted Macca dropped from the team (Uselesss!!) and LRT (frightened rabbit!) and I could go on, but its too embarrassing.

Some players are just not going to be as good as other players on the list, and Jesse does have his 'on' days. He is starting to recognise his own strength and how to use it. That has always been a big iffy for him. Happy to sit back and thumb my nose at Adelaide for a while yet, like another 8 years or so would be good.

Triple B
26th August 2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Jesse is vastly improved in all the elements that we saw as deficiencies in his game before his run of form in the second half of the year.

I'm very much in the Sam over Jesse camp long term, but Jesse's form cannot be denied recently and he has covered Sam's loss pretty much given Sam wasn't anywhere near stellar form himself.

As for covering Jets and Goodes, that's another matter and is looking more and more likely to be costing us going back to back I'm afraid. :frown

Bloodthirsty
26th August 2013, 11:37 AM
Keep White with Tippett, replace Everitt with Reid. Easy.

BillyRayCypress
26th August 2013, 11:44 AM
I hold back on not being convinced. I learned my lesson when I wanted Macca dropped from the team (Uselesss!!)

We should still get rid of him. I'd be doing a Schwass/Grant deal with GWS and swapping him for one of their young gun midfielders. I'm really sick of McVeigh this year. He is so egotistical both on and off the field.

The way he has been flapping his arms around like Harold the Helicopter this year and blowing up team mates. He has a full set of hair like his brother, it just can't be seen because of the massively swollen head.

Melbournehammer
26th August 2013, 11:48 AM

stats

jesse had 12 - players who had less included
mumford, rok, rohan, lamb, tippett and pyke had 14 while mcglynn had 13.

common factor that existed there - rok, white, tippett, lamb, rohan, mcglynn all played forward of the ball. mumford and pyke shared the resting ruckman. the ball just didnt get there very often. I too am not convinced by white against the absolute cream. but i know that he is doing all the things we have wanted him to do. whether he can do them as well as wayne carey - well i doubt it. but there really arent that many really successful chfs out there.

look i am not saying he is fabulous but its always the same - when our midfield gets its butt kicked its easy to blame those forward of the ball for their non-contributions.

stellation
26th August 2013, 11:55 AM
Stell I think Jesse is probably somewhere in the middle your opinion of him and my opinion of him. I thought his game was just ok for a wingman but poor for a KP forward.
Just so people don't think I'm all starry eyed over him, my honest appraisal of him at the moment is simply that I think he's doing pretty well, I don't think he's a superstar nor do I think he's suddenly the most important player in the team- I just think he's doing pretty well.

I thought he did pretty well considering the game on the weekend, I only pulled you up on it because I thought the numbers you grabbed were a little selective. :)

aardvark
26th August 2013, 12:13 PM
Here's a novel idea. Play White on the wing where he seems to do ok and let Reid play at CHF. We should have stopped trying to make a key forward/ruckman out of White years ago. If White does a good job on the wing it doesn't matter how bloody big he is.

mcs
26th August 2013, 12:39 PM

Surely it's not his fault that the midfield and flankers are getting absolutely murdered ?

Tbh the defense and Hawkins had more to do with us not losing by 15 goals than anything else

Of course its not his fault the midfield and flankers are getting murdered, and I agree that it was the defense and hawkins that stopped us getting murdered.

But when you look at his stats, if he is to be our saviour at CHF, then really needs to provide more than 12 possessions (6 kicks, 6 handballs), 4 marks (2 contested), and no shots on goal, no matter who we are playing. I know there was limited opportunities on the weekend and that has impacted his stats - but he just to me still is the 'almost player' that he has been for so long.

I like a lot of what he is bringing to the game - but as CHF, I'm not so sure. I quite like the idea of pushing him further up the ground, perhaps onto the wing, as he has a suprising turn of speed on him and is not afraid to take a man on. I'm not arguing he shouldn't be in our top 22 at the moment - for with injuries etc, he clearly is. But for a guy that has plenty of talent and clearly the ability, I just want to see him do more and really burst out and have the impact on matches he should have.

As for CHF, would I be laughed out of the place if I suggested we either push Tippett up there and play Pyke at FF, or even give Pyke a proper go there at CHF against Hawthorn and get Mummy to shoulder more of the burden in the ruck? He would be up there for best contested mark in the competition, and his kicking for goal is generally excellent. In a dead rubber on Friday night, would surely not hurt to have a fiddle and try a few different options before the finals.

- - - Updated - - -

We should still get rid of him. I'd be doing a Schwass/Grant deal with GWS and swapping him for one of their young gun midfielders. I'm really sick of McVeigh this year. He is so egotistical both on and off the field.

The way he has been flapping his arms around like Harold the Helicopter this year and blowing up team mates. He has a full set of hair like his brother, it just can't be seen because of the massively swollen head.

:hmmmm2: I hope there is some irony in that post. Clearly our best player on Saturday, and has had one of his best seasons to date. His antics are annoying at times, but I think its more about because he cares and is frustrated than anything. I feel he can see a good chance to go back to back slipping away, and its getting to him (like it is to some of us fans).

ScottH
26th August 2013, 01:50 PM
Keep White with Tippett, replace Everitt with Reid. Easy.

Not such a silly idea. Play Reid down back as a loose man.
Everitt's decision making is far too slow at times.

Ludwig
26th August 2013, 02:07 PM
Jesse has now played 7 consecutive games. It is fair to continue to have a wait and see attitude about him; 7 games don't prove consistency. But it is undeniable that his performance has been very good over this period, and worthy of a CHF on most teams. His stats over this period of around 13 possessions and 2 goals a game are around that of J-Pod, Hawkins and Jack Riewoldt. Jesse is playing in a team where he shares the tall marking target role with Tippett and Pyke. His goal kicking accuracy has been excellent.

Travis Cloke, for example, averages around 15 touches a game. As the dominant forward at his club he is obviously kicking more goals, but is far less accurate.

With the possible exception of Hawthorn (although I think Jesse is a better option than Hale), Jesse is playing well enough to make every 22 in the league.

We are all reluctant to give Jesse his due, myself included, because we have been disappointed so many times before. I have been trying to filter out that he is a 25 yo and try to judge him more as a 21 yo, the same age as Sam Reid, who has only played 11 games less than Jesse. If Reid was playing like Jesse has over the past 7 games, we'd be over the moon.

We can't say enough about how well Rampe has developed this year, and rightfully so. Well ..............................Why not Jesse?

Melbournehammer
26th August 2013, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=mcs;621612]Of course its not his fault the midfield and flankers are getting murdered, and I agree that it was the defense and hawkins that stopped us getting murdered.

But when you look at his stats, if he is to be our saviour at CHF, then really needs to provide more than 12 possessions (6 kicks, 6 handballs), 4 marks (2 contested), and no shots on goal, no matter who we are playing. I know there was limited opportunities on the weekend and that has impacted his stats - but he just to me still is the 'almost player' that he has been for so long.

As for CHF, would I be laughed out of the place if I suggested we either push Tippett up there and play Pyke at FF, or even give Pyke a proper go there at CHF against Hawthorn and get Mummy to shoulder more of the burden in the ruck? He would be up there for best contested mark in the competition, and his kicking for goal is generally excellent. In a dead rubber on Friday night, would surely not hurt to have a fiddle and try a few different options before the finals.

I wont harp on this - other than to say - we dont play with a centre half forward. we dont even really play with a structure involving a centre half forward on the lead. our structure is basically have pyke and jesse or tippett on the wing and kick it onto their head with the intention of marking it, or knocking it over the boundary line. it is very rare that we go through the corridor to a leading player from chf and on sat if anyone was playing that position it was rok.

when the ball comes into the centre corridor we are looking to go long to the goal square through a series of handballs releasing a player to kick it long. when the ball is in the defensive fifty it is kick it to the wing and we want a pack there.

with us it is pretty much a game where we are trying to compress the field into no more than a kick and a half from wherever the ball is. in that context jesse WAS actually playing wide of the ball and on the wing - he was there to drag a geelong tall out of the corridor and to be a link up player or a defensive winger. As someone who watched him reasonably closely he did EXACTLY the same as reid does - when he was out of position he was just trying to spoil the ball over the boundary.

i think pyke tippett mummy are all so much slower than jesse that you just cant play them too far up the ground - if they dont mark it the ball comes back too fast, and even when they do mark it we are still determined to play on at all times but this is constantly leading to our players running into the next defender as well as doing u turns because there is no one to kick it to. tippett is actually a lot slower than he looks.

alt_mattr
26th August 2013, 03:22 PM
Pyke looks like a KPP when playing forward. I would love to see him get a run at full forward for the whole game and have Tippet get into the ruck. I think Tippet has more "on-ball" ability than Pyke, more like Mumford in that respect. You don't want to make a habit out of it, but it would mess with the opposition's game plan :)

crackedactor
26th August 2013, 07:44 PM
Pyke looks like a KPP when playing forward. I would love to see him get a run at full forward for the whole game and have Tippet get into the ruck. I think Tippet has more "on-ball" ability than Pyke, more like Mumford in that respect. You don't want to make a habit out of it, but it would mess with the opposition's game plan :) I was just wondering whether anyone found the Motlop mark a bit strange. He went off the field limping and there was concerns about his knee. He comes back on the field and has already played about 80-90 minutes of football (when you legs should be feeling very weary) and then flys above the pack and takes mark of the year??? Maybe I am being a bit skeptical after reading about the Essendon saga, but it does seem strange!