PDA

View Full Version : A Biggs Game ahead

jetts32
29th August 2013, 08:18 PM
Pardon the pun.

As a Melbourne supporter I don't get to watch the reserves, what's Biggs like? I know he's fairly tall, is he fast? Who would you compare him too?

aardvark
29th August 2013, 08:36 PM
SwansTV: Shane Biggs 2011 Highlights - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7iyE3DoI90)

Shane Biggs - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmq8Lnpd7IM)

Enjoy!:smile:

jono2707
29th August 2013, 09:58 PM
From my somewhat limited Ressies watching, he's been good without taking games apart. Has a very nice boot on him, but doesn't seem to play with a great deal of mongrel. Probably closest in type to Malceski, with regards to running it off the back line and being a good reliable pinpoint kick. Other Ressie watchers are probably more qualified than me to comment though...

jetts32
29th August 2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys!

Primmy
30th August 2013, 08:49 AM
His call name is Shiggsy. This is important information.

The kid is good. Moves well, quick, and an accurate kick as jono said, but he hasn't yet been tested against anything like Hawthorne yet. Most importantly he is strides ahead today from where he was at the start of the season. I find that the most important criteria. Steady improvement and not obviously plateauing. May be an important note from jono that he didn't see the mogrel in him. We'll see.

He has been upgraded from rookie, and it is a position earned not given. Hope he does well. I think he has footy smarts.

ugg
30th August 2013, 11:27 AM
Round 23 Debut: Shane Biggs, Sydney. Pick 13, 2012 Rookie Draft

2013 NEAFL:
17 Mt, 113 Ranking Points, 100 Dreamteam
26.4 Disposals @ 73.5% Efficiency
5.5 Rebound 50s, 3.5 Inside 50s
3.0 Tackles, 1.6 Intercept Marks

Swansinger
30th August 2013, 01:23 PM
His call name is Shiggsy. This is important information.

The kid is good. Moves well, quick, and an accurate kick as jono said, but he hasn't yet been tested against anything like Hawthorne yet. Most importantly he is strides ahead today from where he was at the start of the season. I find that the most important criteria. Steady improvement and not obviously plateauing. May be an important note from jono that he didn't see the mogrel in him. We'll see.

He has been upgraded from rookie, and it is a position earned not given. Hope he does well. I think he has footy smarts.

Yeah , but ya jus' KNOW he's gonna get called Ronnie !:o

Primmy
30th August 2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah , but ya jus' KNOW he's gonna get called Ronnie !:oYou see the problem with that is that most of the kids and even the seniors were not born when Ronnie got a reputation. Its just going to be you, and a certain generational level of awareness that will even know who is being referred to.

Now how old do you feel. Happens to me over and over again.

Dosser
30th August 2013, 02:06 PM
You see the problem with that is that most of the kids and even the seniors were not born when Ronnie got a reputation. Its just going to be you, and a certain generational level of awareness that will even know who is being referred to.

Surely the seniors would at least know of the Pistols.

Swansinger
30th August 2013, 02:15 PM
You see the problem with that is that most of the kids and even the seniors were not born when Ronnie got a reputation. Its just going to be you, and a certain generational level of awareness that will even know who is being referred to.

Aww , I dunno....Gazza Senior was nicknamed after a bloke who was at least 6.000 years old:wink:.

dimelb
30th August 2013, 02:47 PM

The Who?

Untamed Snark
30th August 2013, 03:41 PM

Unless channel 9 make an under belly london

Go Swannies
30th August 2013, 03:49 PM
The Who?

won't get fooled again.

undy
30th August 2013, 05:04 PM

I think you're talking about my generation.

aardvark
30th August 2013, 05:44 PM
I wonder who'll be the Substitute tonight?

undy
30th August 2013, 06:00 PM
A wide choice - the kids are alright

undy
30th August 2013, 08:47 PM

its not bj
happy jack

mcs
30th August 2013, 11:45 PM
Well that was a fine start to his AFL career. The kid can obviously play - another one I am looking forward to watching progress next year. 18 disposals on debut is not to sneeze about!

30th August 2013, 11:49 PM
Nice debut against top quality opposition. Looks to have a future, another year on the rookie list so I'll have to tweak my 2013 delistings now :-)

aardvark
31st August 2013, 12:13 AM
Really impressive debut. A summer in the gym wouldn't hurt him.

DeadlyAkkuret
31st August 2013, 06:13 AM
Might be another gem. Imagine guys like Mitchell, Lamb and Biggs with another preseason and another year of experience? We're in really good hands.

Primmy
31st August 2013, 01:34 PM
Toldyers......

The life of a ressie watcher is filled with Toldyer moments. You just have to make the effort to attend the ressie games if at all possible. It makes the whole transition so much more fun to watch.

Kept a close eye on the kid. Second and thirds evident even if a bit off the pace by the end of the 4th. Not surprising,. Bet he was supposed to be the sub.

Done good, played fine (to paraphrase a well known NRL mangler of the english language).

Doctor
31st August 2013, 06:20 PM
He went very well. Looks like a keeper.

sharp9
3rd September 2013, 09:50 PM
According to the "BOGs" the best reserves player by a country mile is a small midfielder called Jake Lloyd...has polled in the best an astonishing 15 times out of 18 games!!! Has 54 votes and next best is Biggs with 33 votes (8 times in best from 17 games).

cowcar
3rd September 2013, 10:45 PM

This has to win the thread: Quoting the only song the Sex Pistols covered from The Who in reference to Ronnie Biggs !!! bravo!

DamY
3rd September 2013, 10:55 PM
According to the "BOGs" the best reserves player by a country mile is a small midfielder called Jake Lloyd...has polled in the best an astonishing 15 times out of 18 games!!! Has 54 votes and next best is Biggs with 33 votes (8 times in best from 17 games).

Looks a keeper. Just that the midfield is very very full right now. Aren't there whispers that even Nick Smith could run through the midfield too? I think Lloyd will explode next year.

liz
3rd September 2013, 11:02 PM
Looks a keeper. Just that the midfield is very very full right now. Aren't there whispers that even Nick Smith could run through the midfield too? I think Lloyd will explode next year.

Jake Lloyd has been superb. But so have all our rookie listed players in their own way, other than Naismith who's been injured since before the season proper started, but was quite impressive at the weekend in only his second game back.

Rampe, Richards, Jack aren't going anywhere. I had Biggs written off as a player I wasn't sure could step up to the second level (and as a more mature rookie than most and in his second year on the list). But I was impressed with him against Hawthorn. Robinson has been nearly as impressive as Lloyd - just a mid season injury slowed him down somewhat.

As a group, they've outshone our first and second year senior listed players. It's still early days for most of that group but other than Mitchell, who's already graduated to the seniors, Membrey is the only one I confidently think looks like a senior player in the making.

How do you fit them all onto the lists next year? Even allowing for the fact some can stay as rookies, there still needs to be some list turnover and there aren't many obvious delistees other than those who've already retired or announced their retirement.

4th September 2013, 01:45 AM

Jake Lloyd, small boy who will undoubtedly Force his way into the side (an)A kin to a few of our other youngsters this season.

ernie koala
4th September 2013, 12:39 PM
Jake Lloyd, small boy who will undoubtedly Force his way into the side (an)A kin to a few of our other youngsters this season.

That's if he doesn't end up at the Demons....along with a few other teammates.

Dosser
4th September 2013, 02:30 PM

Could end up being part of the Swans empire.

Triple B
4th September 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm sure he enjoyed the return of the Jed to reserves last weekend...

Ludwig
4th September 2013, 03:27 PM
Jake Lloyd had the poise of a senior player from day 1. Cannot see how he slipped to the rookie draft. The way he finds space, slips tackles and hits targets looks so much like Macca. We have to give him some senior games next year. He's going to be an A-grade footballer, and I hope it's not with another team.

Cannot remember a time when we had so many seriously good players in the reserves, and so few senior spots to fill (assuming injured players come back fit next year).

I also think Towers is looking more deserving of his high draft pick as time goes on. He is a quick and highly skilled player who is beginning to make an impact on games. I think we will see him get some senior game time next year, although he will have to fight it out with Membrey for selection.

Auntie.Gerald
4th September 2013, 04:08 PM
Jake Lloyd has been superb. But so have all our rookie listed players in their own way, other than Naismith who's been injured since before the season proper started, but was quite impressive at the weekend in only his second game back.

Rampe, Richards, Jack aren't going anywhere. I had Biggs written off as a player I wasn't sure could step up to the second level (and as a more mature rookie than most and in his second year on the list). But I was impressed with him against Hawthorn. Robinson has been nearly as impressive as Lloyd - just a mid season injury slowed him down somewhat.

As a group, they've outshone our first and second year senior listed players. It's still early days for most of that group but other than Mitchell, who's already graduated to the seniors, Membrey is the only one I confidently think looks like a senior player in the making.

How do you fit them all onto the lists next year? Even allowing for the fact some can stay as rookies, there still needs to be some list turnover and there aren't many obvious delistees other than those who've already retired or announced their retirement.

Liz what is you gut feeling on Towers and Marsh to become senior players?

Marsh for me looked very impressive on his video work leading into the draft and i have only seen glimpses of that same authority on the field

Towers makes it look easy in attack and as ressie level is a difficult matchup - but do you feel he just needs another pre season to make it as a senor level player who can put enough pressure on in defence and be a true Bloods player ?

wolftone57
5th September 2013, 02:53 PM

The problem with Jakie Lloyd is that he is very slight at this stage and the coaches are bringing him along slowly. He will make his d?but next year. We don't want him injured early in his career. Biggsie's delivery is super and he can break the lines time and again. He seems to be able to make space and can take a good contested mark. The pass along the wing on Friday to a Swans player who had one Hawk 5m in front and another 2m back was just ACE! Mal would have bombed the ball further up the ground to a contest. His disposal was rated 83% which is really hot. I think we have developed a great bunch of players in the Twos and other than one or two they could all come in and play well in the Seniors. but some are special; Mitchell, BJ, Biggs, Chop, Rampe, Xav. Next year we will find names like; Lloyd, Robinson, Towers, Membrey & maybe even young Naismith who really does have talent, plus we might just draft Lloyd Perris who is really comfortable at NEAFL level and has been in the best on quite a few occasions. Lockyer and Marsh (injured) might just be pretty good too. Lockyer is taking longer than thought to develop although his last few games have been good.

I have been a fan of Biggsie ever since he joined us because he goes out there and has a go, does everything asked and has big talent especially in delivery and contested marking.

- - - Updated - - -

Liz what is you gut feeling on Towers and Marsh to become senior players?

Marsh for me looked very impressive on his video work leading into the draft and i have only seen glimpses of that same authority on the field

Towers makes it look easy in attack and as ressie level is a difficult matchup - but do you feel he just needs another pre season to make it as a senor level player who can put enough pressure on in defence and be a true Bloods player ?

Towers is really killing them in the NEAFL. his contested marking is wonderful for a medium player. He leads up well and provides a really good foil for Membrey and they kicked 10 between them last week. He is also a really good set shot and seems to be the captain in the Twos.

Marsh has been injured and it has been disappointing not to see him out there. He is a really strong mid and plays a little like Joey but a little more outside. Strong mark and good kick. I have a problem with Dick who arrived at the same time as Marsh, he might be quick but he wastes the pill far too often. He improved since arriving but still has leagues to go.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure he enjoyed the return of the Jed to reserves last weekend...

I watched live on the stream and also the replay. Those two had a ball out there, they cleaned up. Lokan put himself onto Lloyd to monster him but Lloydy just took off and left Lokan standing in the centre square, Lloyd got a mark in the play and gave it to Towers or Membrey for a goal. He was not intimidated even though the old bugger knocked him down and he didn't get the free he deserved. Lamb played on the favourite for the Medal and destroyed him.