PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Cut Vez

The Big Cat
3rd September 2013, 05:55 PM
Everitt is looking an even better trade.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd September 2013, 05:55 PM
Is gone, altogether. Sad, for someone with talent, but as we know, it takes more than that . . .

Cross, Lower, Veszpremi among delisted Dogs - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-03/four-dogs-moved-on)

CJK
3rd September 2013, 05:57 PM
Breaking News - Vez not very good.

Go Swannies
3rd September 2013, 06:06 PM
Never prepared to do the hard work - even at Dogs level and certainly not at Swans level. Like Nick D but with much less skill and even less motivation.

ernie koala
3rd September 2013, 06:45 PM
A dud draft choice.... we all know who was next in that draft..... somewhat rectified with the Everitt trade.

Well done by the Swans not to persevere with him..... And find a trade.

stellation
3rd September 2013, 07:05 PM
I really thought he had a very bright future in his first year. He had a great burst of power/pace. I think he would have had a long career if he started in the 80s or 90s.

jono2707
3rd September 2013, 07:13 PM
He promised so much but delivered so little.... A shame really, as he was highly rated when we got him.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd September 2013, 07:16 PM
Had talent alright. Whether his own body couldn't build the engine needed or he wouldn't do the work not sure. But just couldn't fit demands of the game

ShockOfHair
3rd September 2013, 07:17 PM
A shame. A talented kid. How many from Emma Q's book on the 2007 draft are still playing?

We need the ex-players' thread again. Lewis Johnston's six-goal back for the Crows is worth a shout.

giant
3rd September 2013, 07:58 PM
Just seems a massive waste doesn't it? But I guess we'll never know the full story. Hopefully a timely reminder to Dre of footy mortality!

Alan
3rd September 2013, 08:07 PM
I remember feeling very disappointed when we traded him, as I was a huge fan. I saw Stuart Maxfield interview about it and he said something like: "sometimes young blokes just have to do the apprenticeship" which suggested to me that he wanted out because he thought we did not give him enough opportunities.

He was a great finisher. Not sure how many games & goals we got out of him but he sure looked like a good prospect.

Doctor J.
3rd September 2013, 08:26 PM
I remember feeling very disappointed when we traded him, as I was a huge fan. I saw Stuart Maxfield interview about it and he said something like: "sometimes young blokes just have to do the apprenticeship" which suggested to me that he wanted out because he thought we did not give him enough opportunities.

He was a great finisher. Not sure how many games & goals we got out of him but he sure looked like a good prospect.

Here's your answer.
AFL Tables - Patrick Veszpremi - Stats - Statistics (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/P/Patrick_Veszpremi.html)

A 23 game career over 6 seasons with 2 clubs.

Just another on the 1st round draft pick scrap heap.

Triple B
3rd September 2013, 11:27 PM
How many from Emma Q's book on the 2007 draft are still playing?

From memory, all of them and pretty bloody well except Vespa.

Cotchin, Big Boy McEvoy, Cyril, Brad Ebert and Vespa were the five main characters from memory.

I've got that book packed away somewhere, I must drag it out for a re-read because it covers all the draftees in some way, it will be interesting to see how they all got on...

Doctor
4th September 2013, 12:03 AM
A dud draft choice.... we all know who was next in that draft......

If memory serves it was Rioli. Is that right?

Jewels
4th September 2013, 12:40 AM
If memory serves it was Rioli. Is that right?
Yes, but according to Emma Quayle in "The Draft" he would only go to a Melbourne club so there was no way we would have gotten him.

stellation
4th September 2013, 09:31 AM
From memory, all of them and pretty bloody well except Vespa.

Cotchin, Big Boy McEvoy, Cyril, Brad Ebert and Vespa were the five main characters from memory.

I've got that book packed away somewhere, I must drag it out for a re-read because it covers all the draftees in some way, it will be interesting to see how they all got on...
I don't really read sports books at all, but I was given that book when it came out and flicked through the first page and ended up reading the whole thing. I thought it was well structured, fairly well written and was just fascinating as an insight into elite juniors.

Doctor
4th September 2013, 11:13 AM
Yes, but according to Emma Quayle in "The Draft" he would only go to a Melbourne club so there was no way we would have gotten him.

I'm sure Micky O and Goodesy would have worked on him had we been interested. I know you don't want to draft a player who doesn't want to play for you, but you can't make demands of where you'll play when you're drafted. That's for pre-season drafts and free agents!

magic.merkin
4th September 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm sure Micky O and Goodesy would have worked on him had we been interested. I know you don't want to draft a player who doesn't want to play for you, but you can't make demands of where you'll play when you're drafted. That's for pre-season drafts and free agents!

He was also hard to deal with and pouty during draft interviews. This coupled with his desire to play in Melboune my guess is the no dickheads policy was invoked.

Regardless i'm sorry to hear for Vez. Afterall he is young kid still who has just lost his dream.

However we as supporters can still put this to the side to discuss the draft, and yes another missed opportunity for our first round picks. And as stated another reality to check for Dre. Up and at em for this weekend!

Triple B
4th September 2013, 01:03 PM
He was also hard to deal with and pouty during draft interviews. This coupled with his desire to play in Melboune my guess is the no dickheads policy was invoked.

My read was that he was 'hard to deal with and pouty' because he was desperately homesick and feeling pretty lonely. As a rule the indigenous boys do seem to suffer from that more due to life in the big smoke and the club environment being so far removed from where they have come from.

Doesn't make him a dickhead in my books.

magic.merkin
4th September 2013, 02:30 PM
My read was that he was 'hard to deal with and pouty' because he was desperately homesick and feeling pretty lonely. As a rule the indigenous boys do seem to suffer from that more due to life in the big smoke and the club environment being so far removed from where they have come from.

Doesn't make him a dickhead in my books.

Nor mine, I just think the club thought it too much effort on the back of some failed prior first rounders.

Ludwig
4th September 2013, 03:40 PM
Nor mine, I just think the club thought it too much effort on the back of some failed prior first rounders.

Besides Rioli, there were plenty of other good picks in the teens that we could have taken instead of Vez: Brad Ebert, Jack Grimes, Harry Taylor, Alex Rance and Callam Ward. It was a pretty bad choice given the talent that came out of the top twenty.

We also bombed out by taking Meredith with our second pick.

BeeEmmAre
4th September 2013, 10:42 PM
Interesting to note that of 69 players drafted in 2007, only 38 are still on AFL lists with Vespa's departure. Of those 38, nine are at different clubs. We have two - Tony Armstrong (58 via Adelaide) and Craig Bird (59).

Some good names there http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2007&t=N

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting to note that of 69 players drafted in 2007, only 38 are still on AFL lists with Vespa's departure. Of those 38, nine are at different clubs. We have two - Tony Armstrong (58 via Adelaide) and Craig Bird (59).

Some good names there http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2007&t=N

Ludwig
4th September 2013, 11:37 PM
To see Veszpremi squeezed in there between Dangerfield and Rioli really makes me sick to my stomach. :sorrow: What were we thinking?

jono2707
4th September 2013, 11:49 PM
To see Veszpremi squeezed in there between Dangerfield and Rioli really makes me sick to my stomach. :sorrow: What were we thinking?

From what I recall Vespa was pretty much as highly rated as those other two. I didn't think at the time we had gone out on a limb or anything by picking him. It just seems that he was never able to build the motor needed to help him succeed - whether that was an attitude thing or something else - just shows that drafting still isn't an exact science....

Ludwig
5th September 2013, 12:12 AM
Very true indeed jono. We were all so excited after his first few games as well. He really did looked like a star in the making.

There is a better hit rate with the top picks, but plenty of gems further down in the draft, and the rookie draft as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true indeed jono. We were all so excited after his first few games as well. He really did looked like a star in the making.

There is a better hit rate with the top picks, but plenty of gems further down in the draft, and the rookie draft as well.

Swansongster
5th September 2013, 12:49 AM

Thank God for Chook at pick 59. Not our finest year at the drafting table

Ruck'n'Roll
5th September 2013, 02:05 PM
From what I recall Vespa was pretty much as highly rated as those other two.
Otherwise he wouldn't have featured in the draft book. We absolutely should have taken Callan Ward, that boy was born to the redandwhite!

Jewels
5th September 2013, 03:30 PM
Anyone who has read the book might get a better insight into what the recruiters saw in him.
From memory (and apologies if I get this wrong, i read the book when it first came out and i'm old, so the memory isn't what it once was) he was a good junior but struggled with weight and fitness so he set himself a program to lose weight and gain fitness and excelled and i remember thinking when reading the book, how that resolve would have probably been a much bigger plus in The Swans recruiters eyes then most others. Something like that anyway...

On-Baller
5th September 2013, 07:05 PM
Really sad to hear, so much talent wasted. I remember when he kicked 4 against the lions early on in his career and i thought we had found another Nick Davis type. Unfortunately never got anywhere near it.

Primmy
6th September 2013, 10:44 AM
A genuine shooda cooda player. I think he found his life outside footy was more in keeping with his persona. I liked him. Thought he could have made it, but that is no guarantee is it. We have players on our list who were "never going to make it", so there you go. We draft them as kids (most of the time) and their wants/needs/ambitions are not settled at that age.

magic.merkin
6th September 2013, 11:37 AM
A genuine shooda cooda player. I think he found his life outside footy was more in keeping with his persona. I liked him. Thought he could have made it, but that is no guarantee is it. We have players on our list who were "never going to make it", so there you go. We draft them as kids (most of the time) and their wants/needs/ambitions are not settled at that age.

*cough*Raise the draft age*cough*

Jewels
6th September 2013, 11:51 AM

Yep

Swansongster
6th September 2013, 12:23 PM

This is one of the huge benefits for American sports - their college system.

magic.merkin
6th September 2013, 12:57 PM
This is one of the huge benefits for American sports - their college system.

There's an argument for and against the college system (NCAA making profit, kids none etc). But definitely for our game it's too young at 18 for the majority. I like the idea of them playing a year at a VFL/SANFL etc club, make the 1's if they are good enough. Mandatory schooling/trade for the first year. Let them get life experience, put on size, grow, play against men and see where they fall after that. It will strengthen the state leagues and make them a further point of interest for supporters. I'm sure i've overlooked things, but something similar to above.

Untamed Snark
6th September 2013, 02:00 PM

When you have both players & coaches saying the same thing you have to wonder why it has not been looked at

caj23
9th September 2013, 10:20 AM
When you have both players & coaches saying the same thing you have to wonder why it has not been looked at

What's the point of having blokes like Ollie Wines, jack Viney etc wasting away in the VFL when they are clearly ready for senior AFL level because a minority like Vezpremi aren't mature enough to put their head down and work hard

magic.merkin
9th September 2013, 01:57 PM
What's the point of having blokes like Ollie Wines, jack Viney etc wasting away in the VFL when they are clearly ready for senior AFL level because a minority like Vezpremi aren't mature enough to put their head down and work hard

A minority play regularly before they are 20.

ugg
9th September 2013, 02:24 PM
Not liking the potshots being taken at Vez here. If you read the updated version of Emma Quayle's book, there are some insights into some of the different training setups that he had been using to attempt to improve his fitness. Sometimes just having the desire alone isn't enough, there are physical aspects that come into play such as genetics.

Why does a player like Jarred Moore who seemed to have similar issues to Vez escape criticism for his perceived lack of fitness?

jono2707
9th September 2013, 02:36 PM
I thought the knock on Jarred Moore was based on his pace, or lack thereof, not his fitness. He was a pretty good player but supposedly not quick enough. Seeing him leave was a shame but thems the breaks....

Do I recall Vespa having some sort of breathing difficulties like asthma or something? Or was he just often out of breath due to this lack of fitness?

ernie koala
9th September 2013, 03:16 PM
Jono is right here....

These are 2 different situations.

Moore's problem, was a total lack of pace.

Vezpremi 's problem was lack of fitness , he suffered asthma which certainly wouldn't of helped.

My problem with Vezpremi was his....it's all about me approach. He came across as being a bit full of himself.

caj23
10th September 2013, 10:01 AM
A minority play regularly before they are 20.

That may be so, but even if you exclude the GWS selections, 15 of the top 30 2012 draftees made their debut this season. Those numbers don't support the need to raise the draft age.

Had he been able to, Melbourne's mini draft selection Jesse Martin would also have made his debut this year.

I'm interested to hear what age you think it should be raised to and what you think draftees should be doing with themselves after high school while they wait to be drafted?

I think there is a significant risk that a number of them would drop out of the system without having the support of an AFL club and incentive of being on an AFL list