PDA

View Full Version : Jed Lamb trade - Poll

CureTheSane
23rd October 2013, 09:01 AM
So here's the scenario...

GWS will not bend and refuse to budge from a pick 48 for Lamb trade.

What do you think the Swans should do?

- - - Updated - - -

For me, it was put really well in another thread...

We just got reamed. We could have elected not to trade either and they would only have been able to take one in the PSD. What trade would we expect for 1st round draft pick with 12 games AND a premier ruckman at the height of his career? I'll say it again, we just got reamed.

In trying to 'do the right thing for another player (Mumford) we've lost power big time.

And this is why personalities and friendships and loyalties should always be considered, but not carry any great weight in business transactions.

As we watch Lamb kicking to Mummy for a goal against the Swans there may be a tinge of regret...

lorakf
23rd October 2013, 09:33 AM
Not much Swans can do. Not going to get any of GWS first four selections (1,2,21,22) and Swans would want to avoid any selection after GWS 6th selection (75,76,93,111). So at this stage GWS 5th selection (48) seems like the best of a bad situation. Unless the swap gets more complicated with other teams or players added in.

Ajn
23rd October 2013, 09:39 AM
Don't take it, should have let Mummy go through and make them sweat... These picks are not acceptable and of little use pick 48 would be a rookie promotion at best

CJK
23rd October 2013, 09:42 AM
As we watch Lamb kicking to Mummy for a goal against the Swans there may be a tinge of regret...

In the NEAFL

Primmy
23rd October 2013, 10:03 AM
I look at this and think the swans will park this in their memory banks for future dealings with GWS. They are quite well known for doing good deals and doing right by other clubs and by the players that want to move on. Watch this space., Next year it will be a different scenario.

GongSwan
23rd October 2013, 10:05 AM
We might well use the pick. We have now lost 5 listed players and brought in Buddy and Perris on the rookie list. We probably need4 or 5 picks in hte draft

royboy42
23rd October 2013, 10:40 AM
Graciously take 48.

dimelb
23rd October 2013, 10:57 AM
Lamb was a first round pick, albeit a late one, and has shown he has a real future. He's worth a lot better than 48, and GWS could give us twentysomething and keep their first pick. But I doubt it will happen.

aardvark
23rd October 2013, 11:18 AM
Let him enter the PSD. We don't need to be nice to GWS.

Cheer_Cheer
23rd October 2013, 11:50 AM
No more Mr Nice Guy.. PSD or a decent pick thanks..

royboy42
23rd October 2013, 12:03 PM
Not much point in being a dog in the manger..if he goes in PSD we get zilch. 48 is a lot better than that..

CureTheSane
23rd October 2013, 12:38 PM
Not much point in being a dog in the manger..if he goes in PSD we get zilch. 48 is a lot better than that..

Well, the point I would make is that if we constantly accept less than what a player is worth, then we won't be regarded as 'fair traders' by the other teams, but as 'patsy's'

aardvark
23rd October 2013, 01:18 PM

He's an ex first round pick with 3 years of developmental time and money put into him who has probably cracked the sads because he thought he should've been playing in finals.
He's worth way more than a pick we might not use anyway. I say PSD for him and if GWS really want him they can use their first pick. If they don't he can stay with us and continue his development or take his chances with another club who might not offer him ridiculous money.
Its time for us to toughen up again. Send a message to the raiders who will be looking at our developing players as easy targets in the future.

liz
23rd October 2013, 01:44 PM
We might well use the pick. We have now lost 5 listed players and brought in Buddy and Perris on the rookie list. We probably need4 or 5 picks in hte draft

Graciously take 48.

Depends if we're going to use it or not. That will partly depend on Everitt and/or Armstrong and where they land up.

Based on known departures (3 retirees and Brown plus White, Lamb and Mumford) less the acquisition of Franklin, that leaves 6 spots to fill. Rampe will take one spot and I will be very surprised if at least one other rookie isn't promoted to the senior list, be it Biggs or BJ. Maybe both will. So that only leaves 3-4 spots on the list to fill and I don't think we need 48 for those. (Obviously we need draft picks to elevate rookies but they are nominal. We can use pick 148 just as well as pick 48.)

If we are losing one or both of Armstrong or Everitt too, we would have a live use for pick 48. I would still be inclined to just let Lamb go via the PSD. We might be doing some other club a favour - preventing them getting fleeced too...

aardvark
23rd October 2013, 01:56 PM
I would still be inclined to just let Lamb go via the PSD. We might be doing some other club a favour - preventing them getting fleeced too...

By not trading unless it suits us and pushing him into the PSD there is also the chance he may re sign with us if GWS lose interest.

liz
23rd October 2013, 02:02 PM
By not trading unless it suits us and pushing him into the PSD there is also the chance he may re sign with us if GWS lose interest.

Unlikely if the reported contract differences are close to correct. Lamb's done the right thing by himself. He is far from guaranteed a long term AFL career but another club has offered him three years at pretty substantial money. He would be made not to take it. Even if we don't trade him to GWS, he'll almost certainly land up there. Just make the Giants commit their first round PSD pick on Lamb, or come up with a trade that approaches what they believe his intrinsic value to be.

It costs the Swans very little by passing on pick 48, even if they are still "live" picking in the draft at that point. Chances are that by that point, clubs will have pretty divergent views, and many clubs seem to be looking to take minimal picks and will have already exited the draft by that point.

aardvark
23rd October 2013, 02:06 PM
Just make the Giants commit their first round PSD pick on Lamb, or come up with a trade that approaches what they believe his intrinsic value to be.

I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't happen. I'd accept a pick in the 20s.

CureTheSane
23rd October 2013, 03:05 PM
By the way, I have absolutely no issues with Lamb moving to a club for bigger money.
If I knew him, I'd wish him well.

Dosser
23rd October 2013, 04:29 PM
Recruiters are saying this year's draft dries up after the first 20 picks. In that case, pick 48 may as well be pick 88. I say all the best to Jed and wish him well and a long career, but it would be nice to get something for all of the effort/money we put into him. If we cant get a decent pick then let him go into the PSD.
By the way, I think that this year we are having a bit of a fire sale and other clubs are circling like vultures, but it wont be happening next year. GWS might be getting a couple of small wins over us, but we got Buddy.

Rod_
23rd October 2013, 04:47 PM
48 is better than naught!

aardvark
23rd October 2013, 05:04 PM
48 is better than naught!

Its the same as naught if we don't use it!

ugg
23rd October 2013, 05:07 PM
It's a bit of an empty threat anyway as I don't think there would be many clubs willing to pick up that kind of contract Jed has been offered. Melbourne would love him I'm sure but I don't know about their salary cap situation.

Alan
23rd October 2013, 05:33 PM
Perhaps we could offer; Dre & Armstrong with Lamb and ask for 21 or 22?

liz
23rd October 2013, 05:49 PM
Perhaps we could offer; Dre & Armstrong with Lamb and ask for 21 or 22?

Doesn't sound like they've anything left in their salary cap to pay for more players.

Mug Punter
23rd October 2013, 08:10 PM
Well, the point I would make is that if we constantly accept less than what a player is worth, then we won't be regarded as 'fair traders' by the other teams, but as 'patsy's'

Spot on Mr Sane, give them a decent offer with Dre bundled up or let them take their chances.

We have more than enough depth in our list as it is. Take our four picks and maybe elevate an additional rookie if we need to.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a bit of an empty threat anyway as I don't think there would be many clubs willing to pick up that kind of contract Jed has been offered. Melbourne would love him I'm sure but I don't know about their salary cap situation.

If that is true, given they have an extra $1M then players are really demanding overs and their squad is terrible. I would have expected they would have millions spare given the relative mediocrity they have traded for.

Yes they have the best three gun forwards in the comp but there is no guarantee with their picks. If they do not win at least 5 games this year they are a lost cause:)

Captain
23rd October 2013, 08:49 PM
Doesn't sound like they've anything left in their salary cap to pay for more players.

Which is amazing considering they don't really have any good players!! Talk about over paying a whole bunch of kids.

Rod_
23rd October 2013, 08:59 PM
Its the same as naught if we don't use it!

Agreed!

Ludwig
23rd October 2013, 09:22 PM
Given that the Giants have traded out 2 of their top young midfielders, Tyson and Adams, it creates a bit of an opportunity for Lamb to win a spot. While on our part, we have added a bit of competition for midfield spots with addition of Perris. So if the money is much better and so is the playing opportunity, you can't blame the kid for leaving.

Far Reach
23rd October 2013, 09:26 PM
The PSD should be ordered by a random selection process for the bottom eight done after the trade period. Every year it causes angst where a player is blamed for what should be a fair negotiated trade like any other - all because the poor performing club has undeserved (in my view) power that effectively tampers with the trade system. But I guess there's holes everywhere and we've not been screwed yet by free agency.

Mug Punter
23rd October 2013, 10:04 PM
The PSD should be ordered by a random selection process for the bottom eight done after the trade period. Every year it causes angst where a player is blamed for what should be a fair negotiated trade like any other - all because the poor performing club has undeserved (in my view) power that effectively tampers with the trade system. But I guess there's holes everywhere and we've not been screwed yet by free agency.

Absolutely, way too logical an idea for the AFL to take it on though

Ludwig
23rd October 2013, 10:20 PM

The PSD is a reasonable avenue toward equalisation, which is something that is good for the competition as a whole. It gives the worst performing access to out of contract players that might otherwise be more difficult, as players generally would rather play with successful teams and win premierships.

What has been a bit unfair is that the Giants have used a combination of poor performance and huge financial concessions to target the Swans this year, so we are feeling a bit put off by it.

We should remember that the Swans didn't lose anyone to GC and GWS with there player signing concessions, while Adelaide lost both Bock to GC and Davis to GWS (and then Gunston followed by Tippett). Nor have we lost anyone to free agency.

When you look at the big picture, the Swans have been big winners in the player movement game. Our team performance will not be affected by the players that have left the club this year.

liz
23rd October 2013, 10:21 PM

Or just abolish the PSD altogether. Delisted players can now join the club of their choice as free agents so don't need the mechanism of the PSD. Players who have served a certain period of time can now join the club of their choice as free agents. Players can now nominate terms in the ND. Why not just have the ND as the sole drafting process and let everyone else go via the ND?

liz
23rd October 2013, 10:27 PM
We should remember that the Swans didn't lose anyone to GC and GWS with there player signing concessions, while Adelaide lost both Bock to GC and Davis to GWS (and then Gunston followed by Tippett). Nor have we lost anyone to free agency.

We haven't, and therefore we haven't been given any compensation picks spirited out of mid air by the AFL. Collingwood got a mid first round pick for Thomas, who'd given them 7 or so years of service. We got 4 from Mumford and his age and reported pay package at GWS are similar to Daisy's at Carlton. Had Mumford been a free agent, we'd have got an end of first round pick at worst, maybe one after our normal pick.

I am not bemoaning the Swans' plight. The loss of Mumford at less than fair value is more than compensated for by the gains of Tippett and Franklin. But the compensation system for free agents creates quirks in the process that I think distort it. My beef is with the system, not the impact it has had on the Swans.

Nico
23rd October 2013, 10:29 PM
Recruiters are saying this year's draft dries up after the first 20 picks. In that case, pick 48 may as well be pick 88. I say all the best to Jed and wish him well and a long career, but it would be nice to get something for all of the effort/money we put into him. If we cant get a decent pick then let him go into the PSD.
By the way, I think that this year we are having a bit of a fire sale and other clubs are circling like vultures, but it wont be happening next year. GWS might be getting a couple of small wins over us, but we got Buddy.

Every single year they say "the draft dries up after no. 20" "its a shallow draft this year". Then after the draft the experts say clubs have found some "gems" at high picks. After the U18 National Comp experts were saying it looked to be a deep draft. Surely our salary cap is a big concern and clubs know it so why would they offer any dcent draft pick. Our mob seem to get it right every year and with any top club after years of success cannot hope to satisfy the financial demands of players. Posters debate here about how deep our list is etc. etc so if our list is that good there is no way we can all those players we think will fit our top 22. I suspect the loss of Mumford will be minimal given his run of injuries. And lets face it Lamb has been ok but no world beater so far. Let him go and give him his chance. Unlikely to kick a goal after the siren to beat us any game soon.

Ludwig
23rd October 2013, 10:53 PM
Or just abolish the PSD altogether. Delisted players can now join the club of their choice as free agents so don't need the mechanism of the PSD. Players who have served a certain period of time can now join the club of their choice as free agents. Players can now nominate terms in the ND. Why not just have the ND as the sole drafting process and let everyone else go via the ND?

But players who are not delisted, like Lamb, can only choose to nominate for the ND or PSD (not 100% sure on this), I think. I would be in favour of scrapping the PSD and Rookie drafts for a single ND. Perhaps teams can offer only 1 year contracts to players drafted after the 4th round. And all uncontracted players just go into the combined ND draft pool. A player opting for a one year contract can leave the club that drafted him after the contract ends and become a free agent and would then be free to move to whatever club he comes to terms with. It would certainly force a fairer outcome at the trading table. But I can't see the Players Association agreeing to such an arrangement.

- - - Updated - - -

We haven't, and therefore we haven't been given any compensation picks spirited out of mid air by the AFL. Collingwood got a mid first round pick for Thomas, who'd given them 7 or so years of service. We got 4 from Mumford and his age and reported pay package at GWS are similar to Daisy's at Carlton. Had Mumford been a free agent, we'd have got an end of first round pick at worst, maybe one after our normal pick.

I am not bemoaning the Swans' plight. The loss of Mumford at less than fair value is more than compensated for by the gains of Tippett and Franklin. But the compensation system for free agents creates quirks in the process that I think distort it. My beef is with the system, not the impact it has had on the Swans.

Yes, the whole system is a bit of a dog's breakfast. I sometimes listen to internet radio (Trade Week Radio) and even the so called experts, who get paid to make knowledgeable comments on football can't figure it out.

I certainly agree that the Pies stole one with pick 11 for Daisy and Hawthorn got shafted with Franklin. That's why we probably shouldn't look at any one player movement in isolation. Collingwood have definitely nailed it the last couple of years, but we've done quite well for ourselves in recent times. The Mumford deal is the one significant loss for us, but the Swans' management were major contributors to that.

liz
23rd October 2013, 11:18 PM
But players who are not delisted, like Lamb, can only choose to nominate for the ND or PSD (not 100% sure on this), I think.

Yep. The players wanted free agency and they got it. But maybe the flip side of the coin is that it should be harder to move without a fair trade if you're out of contract but not a free agent.

Lamb can nominate for the ND and the Giants would have to decide what pick they might need to use on him. As Ugg has pointed out, the size of the contract they have offered him means that it is highly possible that no other club would take him on those terms and they could wait until the very end of the ND to select him. If the Giants were confident of that, so be it. But if they thought they would need to use their pick in the 20s to get him (or another player in a similar situation), they might well say that for peace of mind, they might just as well use that pick to trade for him. It would force the trading club to determine their estimate of where the player would go in the ND and hence establish in their mind what a fair pick to trade for him was.

R-1
23rd October 2013, 11:19 PM
I would be in favour of scrapping the PSD and Rookie drafts for a single ND.

Scrapping the PSD actually can't happen. It is there to protect the whole system against restraint of trade suits by guaranteeing an out of contact player can ultimately set their own terms of employment.

This is pretty much the same reason free agency exists now... The AFLPA must be satisfied enough with the treatment of players to continue supporting the draft and cap.

liz
23rd October 2013, 11:31 PM
Scrapping the PSD actually can't happen. It is there to protect the whole system against restraint of trade suits by guaranteeing an out of contact player can ultimately set their own terms of employment.

But they can do that in the ND too.

Ludwig
23rd October 2013, 11:59 PM
Maybe the reason that other codes have all gone to total free agency is because of the even increasing complexity, abuses and modifications to avert abuse of the kind of hybrid system we have in the AFL.

It's looking ever more likely that free agency compensation picks will be scrapped. Something needs to be done to rationalise the uncontracted player situation, because it must be driving clubs crazy. One solution is to sign players to 9 year contracts.:wink: It will end up with the club that has the best 'Moneyball' wizz kid running the show that will be premiers.

Mug Punter
24th October 2013, 12:54 AM

Fair point - by the time we are past draft week all free agents have found new homes and the Draft Order has been adjusted, though I think Compensation Picks will go soon. Throw all the available talent, young and old, into the pot and draft accordingly. Can't see the need to distinguish between the ND and PSD contenders tbh. Then of course the Rookie Draft can be held last of all I think it serves a very useful purpose in providing a path for late bloomers and project players.

I'd also have the Free Agency Period (i.e. when free agent players find a new home) and the Trade Period (player and draft pick trading) as two separate periods of one week each.

Gezball
24th October 2013, 02:32 AM
GWS have also basically committed to picking J. Hunt in the PSD so they'd have to choose between Hunt and Lamb for their first pick.

ugg
24th October 2013, 05:02 AM
GWS have also basically committed to picking J. Hunt in the PSD so they'd have to choose between Hunt and Lamb for their first pick.

They're signing Hunt as a delisted FA

R-1
24th October 2013, 07:21 PM
But they can do that in the ND too.

I don't think they can set their own contact terms in the ND.

Mug Punter
24th October 2013, 08:01 PM
I don't think they can set their own contact terms in the ND.

Think that may be the key difference between the two drafts (PSD and ND). Think all ND picks go in at agreed salaries as per the ALFPA agreement, obviously top picks usually get their salaries upgraded pretty quickly in exchange for a longer contract term. PSD players usually have AFL experience and are able to command a greater salary.

Think the best way to untwine the two would be for the PSD to be scrambled amongst the top 9 and bottom 9 after the ND to avoid the PSD being used as a bargaining chip.

liz
24th October 2013, 08:20 PM
Players who have previously been on an AFL list are allowed to name their terms in the ND. They have been for a few years now. Luke Ball was taken at pick 30 by the Pies when they couldn't reach a trade agreement with St Kilda. He didn't join the Pies on a basic first year salary.

Ludwig
24th October 2013, 09:09 PM
Players who have previously been on an AFL list are allowed to name their terms in the ND. They have been for a few years now. Luke Ball was taken at pick 30 by the Pies when they couldn't reach a trade agreement with St Kilda. He didn't join the Pies on a basic first year salary.

Yes, they can name their terms, but I remember the Pies sweating it out till pick 30 because anyone could have taken him.

ugg
24th October 2013, 09:09 PM
I think out best hope is for Everitt to declare for GWS and then we can package the two of them for pick 29

Edit: I see pick48 went to Brisbane in the Polec trade

giant
24th October 2013, 09:36 PM
I think out best hope is for Everitt to declare for GWS and then we can package the two of them for pick 29

Yeh, if we want to whinge about our draft picks then have a look at what's happening to poor old Brissie.

That will be us in a few years' time without COLA.

Auntie.Gerald
24th October 2013, 09:47 PM
Yes, they can name their terms, but I remember the Pies sweating it out till pick 30 because anyone could have taken him.

the agreed salary for Ball was reported at $500k pa hence making it more difficult for others to chime in before the pies that year

Ludwig
24th October 2013, 11:00 PM

I missed the transfer of pick 48.

I also think packaging the 2 for pick 29 is close to the best we can expect. If they trade Josh Bruce for pick 41 from the Saints, maybe that will be included as well. That would make is fair trade IMO.

I noticed that WCE game pick 28 for Elliot Yeo, which is a similar situation to Lamb, and a pretty fair trade as these things go. Yeo was a draft pick 30, but I believe has increased his market value since then, perhaps due to a fair chunk of playing time.

Not a long wait now.

liz
24th October 2013, 11:04 PM
The difference, though, is that the Giants have the first pick in the PSD and thus don't have to trade, especially if they only want Lamb and not Everitt.

ugg
24th October 2013, 11:13 PM
And the latest Fairfax article suggests Everitt's choice is between Carlton, who have offered money and more 'opportunity' and staying with us. Saints likely to keep Pick 41 to use in the Billy Longer trade meaning we're quite unlikely to get anything meaningful for Lamb. It may all hinge on how many trades GWS are involved in the last day, Darley seems to be out the door, and it seems they're still keen to bring in experienced bodies.

Ludwig
24th October 2013, 11:24 PM
And the latest Fairfax article suggests Everitt's choice is between Carlton, who have offered money and more 'opportunity' and staying with us. Saints likely to keep Pick 41 to use in the Billy Longer trade meaning we're quite unlikely to get anything meaningful for Lamb. It may all hinge on how many trades GWS are involved in the last day, Darley seems to be out the door, and it seems they're still keen to bring in experienced bodies.

Sounds like Josh Bruce goes to the Saints in the PSD and Lamb to the Giants. Shame we couldn't do a swap, but it seems Bruce already has a deal with StK.

Mug Punter
24th October 2013, 11:41 PM

Well i fail to see why they need to have them separate...if teams can't find enough draftable picks to get their minimum then they would have to upgrade a rookie and go harder at the rookie draft.

R-1
25th October 2013, 12:44 AM

I think there is a subtle difference though, which is that the Pies took him and then offered a contract of their choosing. I seem to recall Tippett didn't enter the ND because of the different arrangements?

With the PSD, as Tippett did, players nominate their contract terms in advance and the first club who wants to meet them can draft them.

Thus the AFL can argue there is no restraint of trade because players can ultimately set their own conditions of employment. This feature is the sole reason the PSD exists. If they could help it the AFL would prefer no PSD (or free agency) because it (they) gives big players power and undermine central control and equalisation for clubs and Commission.

wolftone57
25th October 2013, 01:00 PM
I am really angry we wouldn't or couldn't match the GWS offer. We are losing one of our potential stars to the mob over the road. They are going to be much better next year with the experience they have traded for. Add Jed and you have a very potent forward/mid who knows how to play the Swans way. Add to that Mummy another Swan and there is a big culture change that will be inflicted on the Giants.

Ludwig
25th October 2013, 01:29 PM
I am really angry we wouldn't or couldn't match the GWS offer. We are losing one of our potential stars to the mob over the road. They are going to be much better next year with the experience they have traded for. Add Jed and you have a very potent forward/mid who knows how to play the Swans way. Add to that Mummy another Swan and there is a big culture change that will be inflicted on the Giants.

You can see why the Melbourne clique are so angry about the COLA. We've got a big bag of cash, but GWS have a Giant bag of cash. Add PSD pick 1 to that, and you have an unmatchable formula.

Zlatorog
25th October 2013, 01:33 PM
So, who or what is to blame for the Lions lost of 5 players in a very short time (due to players' home sickness)? COLA or in-club fighting? It looks like dejavu to me that once happened to the Swans.

wolftone57
25th October 2013, 02:46 PM
So, who or what is to blame for the Lions lost of 5 players in a very short time (due to players' home sickness)? COLA or in-club fighting? It looks like dejavu to me that once happened to the Swans.

The Lions were a basket case under the previous management. They were losing money, their facilities were run down and they treated theri players with distain. There was a culture of older players and young players. In other words if you were sa part of the clique then you were ok but if you were one of the up and commers you got slagged and the attitude of the senior players was a disgrace. This is what the reportage from Brisbane is saying and Lethal has backed that up saying he can't believe the toxic atmosphere at the club. His statement was 'who wants to come into a club where the atmosphere is toxic and younger players are treated differently to experienced players. There are definitely two tiers happening here and that doesn't make a cohesive group.'

- - - Updated - - -

All academic, Lamb to go into the preseason draft and GWS will get him for nothing.

spiffy-dude
25th October 2013, 03:19 PM

No we are not, enough with the hyperbole. Relax and enjoy the ride!

You are a very negative poster, you seem to hsve this need to trash our club all the time and when there is a positive you seem to find the negative in that! And dont give me this excuse that you are an old south man and you dont want the club going down the same path again. If anything having experienced that period of crapness then you should be enjoying this period of great success and not trashing it.

Meg
25th October 2013, 03:26 PM
Lamb to go into the preseason draft and GWS will get him for nothing.

No, GWS now has to use their pick 1 to get Lamb. That is an opportunity cost to them. And there is no further loss to us if the alternative was a worthless low order pick.

wolftone57
25th October 2013, 03:33 PM
No we are not, enough with the hyperbole. Relax and enjoy the ride!

You are a very negative poster, you seem to hsve this need to trash our club all the time and when there is a positive you seem to find the negative in that! And dont give me this excuse that you are an old south man and you don't want the club going down the same path again. If anything having experienced that period of crapness then you should be enjoying this period of great success and not trashing it.

If you haven't learned this by now depth is very important to a footy club. I am not trashing OUR footy club I am questioning the wisdom of losing seven players to pick up one super star. That is my right as a fan. I was around in the times of the previous super star line ups and we did not win any premierships during those times. History tells me we did the same thing in the thirties and forties for very little result. We did the same thing in the 80's & '90's for no result. I was also around when we couldn't win a bloody game were you? I am not an old South man I never followed South Melbourne but I know the history. I also know the history of the VFL/AFL too and the clubs that banked everything on a few players and never won a premiership.

Yes I have seen the bad times and have enjoyed the good times and I would prefer the good times to continue. DEPTH ids the most important word in a footy club as far as lists are concerned.

We may come out and win the Premiership this year and next but the future after that is what worries me. the other thing is how many Bondi bars will Buddy be in with his NRL mates late at night.

spiffy-dude
25th October 2013, 03:45 PM
If you haven't learned this by now depth is very important to a footy club. I am not trashing OUR footy club I am questioning the wisdom of losing seven players to pick up one super star. That is my right as a fan. I was around in the times of the previous super star line ups and we did not win any premierships during those times. History tells me we did the same thing in the thirties and forties for very little result. We did the same thing in the 80's & '90's for no result. I was also around when we couldn't win a bloody game were you? I am not an old South man I never followed South Melbourne but I know the history. I also know the history of the VFL/AFL too and the clubs that banked everything on a few players and never won a premiership.

Yes I have seen the bad times and have enjoyed the good times and I would prefer the good times to continue. DEPTH ids the most important word in a footy club as far as lists are concerned.

We may come out and win the Premiership this year and next but the future after that is what worries me. the other thing is how many Bondi bars will Buddy be in with his NRL mates late at night.

Umm yes i do know what depth means, but i alos know that the best club, the successfull clubs always take risk with buying stars.

To be the best you have to buy the best and take risks.

Sorry but i disagree with everything you said.

And so what if i wasnt there in the early 90s, doesn't make me a lesser supporter than you. Leave that kind of sanctimonous attitude to the idiots in melbourne.

FFS the amount of people who now claim that they were there in the early 90s is climbing higher and higher. Makes you wonder if these people had their invisible cloaks on every sunday as i recall from TV the stands were empty.

And if you worry about Buddy with his "Union" mates then i would hate to know how you would react when you see some of our younger players out on the weekend!

wolftone57
25th October 2013, 04:04 PM
No, GWS now has to use their pick 1 to get Lamb. That is an opportunity cost to them. And there is no further loss to us if the alternative was a worthless low order pick.

What i am saying Mes is they didn't pay us anything for him. Yes we all have to expend a pick to get a player in the preseason draft that stands to reason but they don't give us a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Umm yes i do know what depth means, but i alos know that the best club, the successfull clubs always take risk with buying stars.

To be the best you have to buy the best and take risks.

Sorry but i disagree with everything you said.

And so what if i wasnt there in the early 90s, doesn't make me a lesser supporter than you. Leave that kind of sanctimonous attitude to the idiots in melbourne.

FFS the amount of people who now claim that they were there in the early 90s is climbing higher and higher. Makes you wonder if these people had their invisible cloaks on every sunday as i recall from TV the stands were empty.

And if you worry about Buddy with his "Union" mates then i would hate to know how you would react when you see some of our younger players out on the weekend!

So every fan in Melbourne is an idiot. Why were you looking at the footy on TV were you not old enough to go? I remember being at the SCG with the other 9,999 people every match we played. Three of us used to go together, we never won but we used to say "Next Week" just like 'Kanga' Kennedy used to hat the Hawks in the bad old days. If I am old enough to have gone to matches in the '90's I obviously know nothing. Kid, because you are one, there is an old coaches saying 'I would rather have a champion team than a team of champions.' It means that a cohesive well balanced team will always beat a team of out and out champions because they are not a cohesive unit.

By the way you are new here aren't you? This is a board where everyone has an opinion and the nice thing here is while we can debate and disagree we are normally nice to each other not NASTY. Your comments on Melbourne supporters were downright NASTY.

BillyRayCypress
25th October 2013, 04:06 PM

You'll just have to accept that Wolfy is a bigger supporter than you because he was there in the 80's. So was I, but didn't realise until the 90's. :)

Spiffy off to the naughty corner with your comments on Melbourne people.

What i am saying Mes is they didn't pay us anything for him. Yes we all have to expend a pick to get a player in the preseason draft that stands to reason but they don't give us a thing.

Wolfy that's MEG not MES. Did you ever think that the Swans didn't really want a pick. They don't have to give us a pick.

Blood Tunnel
25th October 2013, 04:07 PM
Players can hide & get away with a lot in Sydney.

We mustn't get that confused with our players being totally perfect!

BillyRayCypress
25th October 2013, 04:11 PM
Players can hide & get away with a lot in Sydney.

We mustn't get that confused with our players being totally perfect!

Its OK, Mummy is at GWS now.

spiffy-dude
25th October 2013, 04:35 PM

- - - Updated - - -

So every fan in Melbourne is an idiot. Why were you looking at the footy on TV were you not old enough to go? I remember being at the SCG with the other 9,999 people every match we played. Three of us used to go together, we never won but we used to say "Next Week" just like 'Kanga' Kennedy used to hat the Hawks in the bad old days. If I am old enough to have gone to matches in the '90's I obviously know nothing. Kid, because you are one, there is an old coaches saying 'I would rather have a champion team than a team of champions.' It means that a cohesive well balanced team will always beat a team of out and out champions because they are not a cohesive unit.

By the way you are new here aren't you? This is a board where everyone has an opinion and the nice thing here is while we can debate and disagree we are normally nice to each other not NASTY. Your comments on Melbourne supporters were downright NASTY.

You are no more a supporter than the person who showed up for the first time this year. Stop the arrogance i was here longer than you were, you come across as an old hipster type with that way of thinking.

FWIW i am not the first person to show frustration at your constant sly digs at the swans and those who run the club.

And yes Melborune people tend to be idiots and tend to over react to almost everything.

aardvark
25th October 2013, 05:26 PM
And yes Melborune people tend to be idiots and tend to over react to almost everything.

Ouch!.......... Glad i come from Melbourne and not Melborune:redface:..........OMG I hope i'm not over reacting!

liz
25th October 2013, 05:28 PM

How much did we give up for Tippett and Buddy?

liz
25th October 2013, 05:30 PM
Too much off topic bickering in this thread. I am closing it for now until such time as I get home and can be bothered to clean it up.

Please keep threads on topic, and especially don't derail them with disputes about whose opinions are worth more or who is a more worthy Swans fan.