PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Laidler

Plugger46
1st November 2013, 04:06 PM
Becomes a Swan. Delisted free agent and can join the club straight away. Paperwork lodged.

Dosser
1st November 2013, 04:14 PM
And you saw this where?

Plugger46
1st November 2013, 04:16 PM
Quite a few places. Patrick Keane has confirmed it on Twitter.

R-1
1st November 2013, 04:16 PM
Twitter. Patrick Keane so it's official.

Dosser
1st November 2013, 04:20 PM
Ooooh

ugg
1st November 2013, 04:24 PM
189cm 79kg 24 years old
2008 Geelong 0 games
2009 Geelong 1 game
2010 Geelong 1 game
2011 Carlton 17 games
2012 Carlton 4 games
2013 Carlton 1 game

Played forward as a junior but almost exclusively as a defender at AFL level.
Traded from Geelong to Carlton - Laidler + pick 42 for pick 37 + pick 54.
Played first 4 games of 2012 but multiple knee dislocations saw him miss out the rest of the year.

Could slot into the third tall defender's role especially if AJ isn't deemed fully fit to return and the coaches realising that Rampe was being stretched in that role.

magic.merkin
1st November 2013, 04:30 PM
Hmmmmm

Jeremy Laidler ?@Laids_15
Stoked to be joining the @sydneyswans Looking forward to the opportunity. #dusa

2013 Review: Jeremy Laidler - carltonfc.com.au (http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-10-11/2013-review-jeremy-laidler)
delisted from Carlton
24 189cms
defender
recruited by cats originally
injured with dislocated knee 2012
fell out of favour with Malthouse apparently

1st November 2013, 04:36 PM
Looked a quality HBF for Carlton in 2011-12 before injury. No idea why he fell out of favour with Malthouse except he wanted him to play as a fwd and Laidler himself prefers to be a back.

Good reader of the play, sets up attacks, a good addition and free. Will strongly challenge fo best 22 IMO. Reckon we've had this bubbling for a little while and that might be why Armstrong got the flick.

So the main list has had 9 drop off (including Lamb), 4 on, Franklin, Laidler, B Jack, Rampe so five picks at the ND, 15, 32, 35, 44, 53 (unless we have another delisted type to be added) so those 5 ND picks will give us the minimum 38 players.

Rookie list will be allowed to be six players, four retained from last year you'd think, plus Perris (Scholarship) and Mitchell (USofA) added. Liz, is that how you understand the rookie numbers? So no chance to add any more NSW rookies?

R-1
1st November 2013, 05:06 PM
Mitchell and Perris will be category B and won't take one of the six primary rookie spots.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

Ruck'n'Roll
1st November 2013, 05:12 PM
Presumably he learned a lesson

"Tuesday, 19 June 2012
Carlton has been fined $7,500 by the AFL for tweets by injured players Marc Murphy, Jarrad Waite and Jeremy Laidler that were critical of umpires during the Blues' clash with West Coast."

Or is the 'Bloods culture going to be needed?

ugg
1st November 2013, 05:14 PM
Mitchell and Perris will be category B and won't take one of the six primary rookie spots.

Rookie Players - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players)
Problem is we currently have Naismith and Robinson as Cat B rookies, and there are only 3 spots in that category.

ShockOfHair
1st November 2013, 05:25 PM
Hmmmmm

Jeremy Laidler ?@Laids_15
Stoked to be joining the @sydneyswans Looking forward to the opportunity. #dusa
fell out of favour with Malthouse apparently

What's the #dusa hashtag?
Falling out of favour with Malthouse is a positive.

Jupiter
1st November 2013, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=707;629627]Looked a quality HBF for Carlton in 2011-12 before injury. No idea why he fell out of favour with Malthouse except he wanted him to play as a fwd and Laidler himself prefers to be a back.

Good reader of the play, sets up attacks, a good addition and free. Will strongly challenge fo best 22 IMO. Reckon we've had this bubbling for a little while and that might be why Armstrong got the flick.

Agree with this - he is a quality in. no idea what happened with Malthouse but I recall he was highly rated at Cats but obvioulsy a tough back 6 to break into when he was there being one of the alltime great defences at the time!!

MadCanuck
1st November 2013, 05:32 PM
Doesn't Laidler have chronic knee dislocation issues?

sirius_black
1st November 2013, 05:43 PM
Looked a quality HBF for Carlton in 2011-12 before injury. No idea why he fell out of favour with Malthouse except he wanted him to play as a fwd and Laidler himself prefers to be a back.

Top post. Malthouse did want him forward but Laidler told him he'd rather play back.

He's over his knee injuries, and played most of the second half of the year uninterrupted at Preston. There are still a lot of question marks in footy circles about how much pace he lost as a result of his injuries.

If he can play his best footy, an unquestionably good pickup for the price.

Auntie.Gerald
1st November 2013, 06:47 PM
Jeremy Laidler 2013 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagWDNDiXIM)

VFL 2013 - Round 10 - Player Highlights - Jeremy Laidler - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZi14jaPqj0)

Jeremy Laidler Interview - 26 October 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffJStNqM0E)

- - - Updated - - -

bugger wrong thread - sorry

Auntie.Gerald
1st November 2013, 06:49 PM
Jeremy Laidler
Australian rules football player
Jeremy Laidler is an Australian rules football player in the Australian Football League. He retired from the Carlton Football Club at the end of their 2013 season. Wikipedia
Born: August 5, 1989 (age 24)
Height: 1.89 m
Weight: 88 kg
Career start: 2008

Laidler joins the Swans - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-11-01/laidler-joins-the-swans)

an astute acquisition and will be fighting away for that mid tall defender role - only noticed him in a few games over the years so lets see what he has got

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffJStNqM0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZi14jaPqj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xagWDNDiXIM

jono2707
1st November 2013, 07:11 PM
Good pick up - happy we got him. Give him some time to get up to speed but he'll be valuable and will get seniors games throughout 2014. Best 22? Perhaps not, but he should get games.

We probably ain't paying him much too....

Auntie.Gerald
1st November 2013, 07:24 PM
does anyone else think that Laidler joining the squad is further confirmation that Towers will not be a back in Snr level football

Towers was moved from the backs to the forwards in ressies in 2013

we have an ageing mid tall list in Mattner retiring, Shaw close and Mal just after Shaw in retirement cycles

Rampe looking a very likely 22 player. First stop as a defender but maybe Rampe could be developed a little like a Luke Hodge where they can spend time in the midfield as well as the backline ?

Doctor
1st November 2013, 08:15 PM
Firstly, welcome Jeremy Laidler!! (I assume he's already an avid reader of this forum. After all, who isn't?)

Second of all, it sounds like an astute piece of work by the list management. They felt that Armstrong wasn't what we needed and looked elsewhere, especially with Dre gone and AJ still injured. If it works, great (and I hope it does). If not, it hasn't hurt us too much.

Watch for the inevitable "Swans recycle again" headlines, despite the fact that many clubs have signed delisted players.

robamiee
1st November 2013, 09:40 PM
good pick up I think...seemed solid before injury...anyone who falls out of favour with malthouse is generally a good pick up...

crackedactor
1st November 2013, 09:44 PM
Firstly, welcome Jeremy Laidler!! (I assume he's already an avid reader of this forum. After all, who isn't?)

Second of all, it sounds like an astute piece of work by the list management. They felt that Armstrong wasn't what we needed and looked elsewhere, especially with Dre gone and AJ still injured. If it works, great (and I hope it does). If not, it hasn't hurt us too much.

Watch for the inevitable "Swans recycle again" headlines, despite the fact that many clubs have signed delisted players.Personally I cannot see why the Swans bothered?? The highlight reel just showed him taking marks basically unopposed. Not impressive. I cannot see this one working, but I hope I am wrong.

Primmy
1st November 2013, 09:56 PM
I would put Jeremy Laidler in the "insurance" category. Teddy, Rhyce and Mal are in the 30's range, can't last forever, especially with Rhyce being injured for much of last year. Marty has retired. LRT is over 30.

Bit of a bonus getting a guy who wants to play down back. Most backmen envisage themselves as goal kicking forwards.

As for 'highlight reel', Teddy wasn't rated either.

barry
1st November 2013, 10:11 PM
Doesn't Laidler have chronic knee dislocation issues?

Yes, and as a sufferer of that myself, I can tell you that its pretty much incurable and the more it happens the more likely it is to again.

Very risky pickup.
I will cringe everytime he gets tackled

SimonH
2nd November 2013, 12:00 AM
Nice pickup. He's cost us nothing in terms of draft picks/players, IMO he's got more upside than Armstrong did, and he's likely to play more AFL firsts than whoever we would have picked up with ND pick 71 or whatever it would have been.

I very much doubt that he was contracted with a promise that he'll be in the team, round 1. He might be, but only if form & fitness pushes him in front of others. I'd guess he was contracted on the principle that it's the best 30 (or so) on your list that determine where you finish at the end of the minor round, not just your best 22 in any given week.

It's good that we've now added 2 senior list players through free agency (one marginally higher profile than the other) without having to trade picks or players? because in the trade period just gone we've lost two first round draft picks (one indirectly, i.e. Dre) for near enough to nothing.

MadCanuck
2nd November 2013, 05:42 AM
.. and yet another cacky footer.

Captain
2nd November 2013, 08:42 AM
Pretty happy with this pick up.

BillyRayCypress
2nd November 2013, 09:03 AM
Oh the whinging. We lost what to get him?

All that I'm saying, is give the bloke a chance..........

Matt80
2nd November 2013, 09:06 AM
Well done Jeremy. Good luck for a great Swans career. Hope we have another Ryce Shaw, Josh Kennedy story of guys nailing their second chance!

robamiee
2nd November 2013, 09:46 AM
Well done Jeremy. Good luck for a great Swans career. Hope we have another Ryce Shaw, Josh Kennedy story of guys nailing their second chance!

technically its his 3rd...but he seems to be the type that given the confidence and know what he needs to do from the club he should excel...

aardvark
2nd November 2013, 11:37 AM

All that I'm saying, is give the bloke a chance..........

Yep he's well worth the gamble.

Primmy
2nd November 2013, 12:05 PM

All that I'm saying, is give the bloke a chance..........Worked with Mitch Morton. Nuff said.

Matt79
2nd November 2013, 02:19 PM
Great pickup for nothing! Very handy depth player and if he can recapture his early form than he will play many senior games. He is only 24! Very astute Swannies!

Mug Punter
2nd November 2013, 07:56 PM
Happy with this pickup. Has cost us little and in young enough to take the next step with us.

Assume the medicos have done their work and trust them that he is a risk worth taking knee wise.

Just need that Ruckman now and four draft picks to replenish the pot

swansrob
3rd November 2013, 03:33 PM
Laidler had a medical at the club last week, so they've done their due diligence and clearly believe his knees will hold up. Sensible pick up - even if he's not best 22, he'll be very handy if Richards or Grundy happen to go down

Mountain Man
3rd November 2013, 04:33 PM
at 1.89cm and 88kg he would be a bit undersized for that eventuality, IMHO

Auntie.Gerald
3rd November 2013, 04:54 PM
some guys play tall and some play to their height

like Reid i must say that Laidler looks like he has the stretch arms.........but for me LRT is the most obvious man for a KP defender role.......

AJ will be pushing for a KPP role in the future and if need be and AJ is not ready we always have Sam reid who can slot back in at FB or CHB if we suffer to many injuries

Legs Akimbo
3rd November 2013, 04:55 PM
at 1.89cm and 88kg he would be a bit undersized for that eventuality, IMHO

At 1.89cm he'd struggle to fill a pocket let alone a back pocket. Pretty dense though.

swansrob
3rd November 2013, 06:15 PM
He's a cm shorter than Grundy and the same weight. Should go just fine.

dimelb
3rd November 2013, 10:00 PM
At 1.89cm he'd struggle to fill a pocket let alone a back pocket. Pretty dense though.

Can fill in for Benny.

aardvark
3rd November 2013, 10:54 PM

Would be in demand for St Kilda mad Monday celebrations maybe.

stellation
5th November 2013, 08:27 AM
A little article up chatting with Jeremy about the move here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/laidler-looks-ahead-to-rejuvenating-swans-20131104-2wx37.html).

Jewels
5th November 2013, 10:57 AM
Can't say that I have actually seen Laidler play and if I have then I didn't notice him, but if he can be half the player Marty was then that will be huge.
I think Marty has been one of our biggest losses and the one we really have no one similar to cover for.

southsideswan
5th November 2013, 11:48 AM
Can't say that I have actually seen Laidler play and if I have then I didn't notice him, but if he can be half the player Marty was then that will be huge.
I think Marty has been one of our biggest losses and the one we really have no one similar to cover for.

There is a short highlights video on Swans site of Laidler. It maybe from 2011. Not sure if those show anything but I suppose the style of the player.

R-1
5th November 2013, 12:42 PM
The highlights reel is pretty much all fists and intercept marks and a couple of tackles. Think we might have something here.

Ruck'n'Roll
5th November 2013, 01:55 PM
A little article up chatting with Jeremy about the move here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/laidler-looks-ahead-to-rejuvenating-swans-20131104-2wx37.html).

Ok, if he's going to fill in the hole created by Mattners retirement, I thought Rampe was doing that quite well (he seemed much less successful as a 3rd tall defender)

Ludwig
5th November 2013, 02:19 PM
If Laidler can make it, a midfield opportunity could open up for Smith or Rampe, who could be that additional big midfielder some are calling for.

Mr Magoo
6th November 2013, 08:26 AM
Will probably just be a fill in / top up at best . He will play half the season in reserves then maybe crack it for a first chance if injuries prevail again. Good luck to him and maybe we might have unearthed another gem but he is fair way of being a Mattner replacement at this stage.

Hes not the messiah - thats buddys job.

Ruck'n'Roll
6th November 2013, 08:40 AM
If Laidler can make it, a midfield opportunity could open up for Smith or Rampe, who could be that additional big midfielder some are calling for.
Good thought, especially if the RWO chatter about Smithies aspiration to move upfield.

Auntie.Gerald
6th November 2013, 04:05 PM
agree

i have from the get go thought that Rampe will make a super fit big bodied midfielder in years to come

BUT i dont expect alot from Laidler in 2014

On-Baller
6th November 2013, 05:02 PM
Will probably just be a fill in / top up at best . He will play half the season in reserves then maybe crack it for a first chance if injuries prevail again. Good luck to him and maybe we might have unearthed another gem but he is fair way of being a Mattner replacement at this stage.

Hes not the messiah - thats buddys job.

Apparently he has been told he will have a position in the 22 from the start of the season as the club wants to ease back into games guys like AJ etc, its then uptp Laidler whether he continues to hold his spot. Really handy player when fit, not a KPP imo but very good back up for back flankers and pockets. Just on KPP players we have a returning LRT,Grundy,Teddy,Xav,Membrey etc so there is back up of sorts. Longmire not long ago said Reid would continue playing as a forward not a defender so im not sure why alot of peop-le persist with suggesting he should be ain the backline. Reid with Tippet,Buddy and Goodes taking opposiotns best 3 defenders will be unstoppable if he is injury free. Alot harder to stop his leap and run at the contest when teams cant afford to have multiple defenders zoning off in front of him.