PDA

View Full Version : Pre Season Games

me son
18th February 2004, 11:48 AM
As March draws near and the Super Duper new Premier League gets underway, Me Son just cant wait to watch a few pre season games around Sydney.

Could a fellow user from any club advise me their pre season match schedule so I can get an early sniff of leather?

With the strong recruiting of North Shore, East Coast, Balmain and Wests this year looks like being a cracker. A few clubs have changed coaches which will be very interesting.

Who are the sleeping giants of the Sydney AFL? Have not heard boo from Campbelltown, Pennant Hills or St George. Although Mick Ryan from the Crows is playing up in Newcastle my info tells me.

Anyone care to comment on their prospective top four comes seasons end Sunday August 22nd?

Heres mine to start you off:

North Shore
East Coast
Balmain
St George

Yep thats right... Bulldogs to falter as they have lost their snarl with the exodus of players!

All the best,

troy34
18th February 2004, 12:06 PM
Here is our pre-season games:

6th March Intra-club at Lakeside Oval, SCG 10am
13th March-Terrigal at Mt Penang 1pm
20th March-Easts/UNSW at Lakeside Oval, SCG from 10am
27th March-UTS Bats at Lakeside Oval, SCG from 10am
3rd April-Still looking for a game so any team interested please let me know.

Luffy

nugget
18th February 2004, 12:21 PM
I haven't heard of any pre season games yet. I enjoyed the Vili's cup pre season competition last year. Going to watch a couple of 1st grade games in the afternoon was a good early taste of footy. Not happrning this year.

I haven't heard of any pre season games as yet.

Wests having recruited reasonably well and losing a few players like Jarjoura - as much as I think he was overrated I did see him perform extremely well in a few games at either end of the ground. They should improve again on last year and will be very close to top 4.

East Coast have picked up a few, lost a few like Austerberry who has quite often held the Eagles together with stand out performances. Someone/s will need to stand up to fill the gap he leaves. Their young players are a year older this year and may be ready to step up. Don't expect too many excuses, and expect a strong year.

Balmain apparently picking up French is a handy recruit as well as Duprey. I don't know if they'll have the across the board form to make the top four and similar to Wests they won't be far off the mark.

North Shore are apprently as strong as ever and you couldn't go past them as pre season favourites. Maybe this will finally be their year.

St George like East Coast, there young players are a year older and you would expect some improvement. Mick Ryan is a big loss for the crows but hopefully one of the young guys can stand up to be a target up forward.

Easts have apparently lost a ton of players but because of their location you never know what they may be able to recruit.

I haven't heard anything from Campbelltown or Pennant Hills so who knows what to expect.

My top four:

North Shore
St George
East Coast
Pennant Hills (just a hunch)

Fourth spot could be anyone, especially with not knowing anything anout Pennant Hills or Campbelltown.

Another interesting year in Sydney Footy ahead.

Rove
18th February 2004, 02:49 PM
Guys as an outsider looking in, I am astonished that you guys have written Easts off. Not only have they won the last two SFL premierships there 2nd's Won 2002 and where runners up in 2003 in the SFA comp. That tells me they have a fair bit of depth. As for there departures I recall them losing as many as 10 premeirship players after 2002. I am sure they will have planty up there sleeves and I would be very surprised if they don't figure at the business end of the season. As for my top four:

North Shore- Chockers
St.George -Youngsters
UNSW-ES -Sleeping Giants
Balmain - Only if Luffy wins the Phelan.

nugget
18th February 2004, 04:34 PM
I don't think anyone can be written off. Especially at this time of year. Sydney footy's a funny game where any team can beat anyone on it's day.

I agree Easts shouldn't be written off but it may be just that bit harder for them this year with the loss of that many players again and their coaching staff as well.

Easts and North Shore both have ideal locations to pick up interstate players who move to Sydney for work. Most young blokes are going to move to either the eastern suburbs or north sydney region for work.

me son
9th March 2004, 09:23 AM
Last week on the Sydney AFL Website pre season games - practice matches for last weekend were posted!!!!

Can any club contacts advise practice match results and scores from last weekend?

Match Report even?

Its hotting up...

shearer
9th March 2004, 12:27 PM
I saw a bit of the Crows vs Sydney Uni while having a bet in the Wests club last week.Crows beat Uni by 25 goals to 3.

Crows looked good and there were a few new faces there.