PDA

View Full Version : Goodes puts buddy on notice.

On-Baller
12th November 2013, 02:50 PM
Page not found | Fox Sports (http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-champion-adam-goodes-puts-swans-recruit-lance-franklin-on-notice/story-e6frf33l-1226757562426)

Hope this isnt a sign of things to come.....

Primmy
12th November 2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced and fair warning seasoned with a challenge and tongue in cheek well and truly planted. Goodsey is saying a lot without appearing to say anything at all. Love it.

Mug Punter
12th November 2013, 03:14 PM
Page not found | Fox Sports (http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-champion-adam-goodes-puts-swans-recruit-lance-franklin-on-notice/story-e6frf33l-1226757562426)

Hope this isnt a sign of things to come.....

Hmmmm, from all reports Buddy made a grade A goose of himself at the Cup.

I suspect that the leadership group will be prepared to take him on if necessary but what if he bucks up and gives the system the finger? We have a 9 year $10M problem on our hands playing in the twos.

High risk, High reward does not even go close to describing this bloke.....

- - - Updated - - -

I assume our standard player contract has a "Gross Misconduct" clause in it. Expect the boys to come down on this bloke like a ton of bricks if he plays up.

magic.merkin
12th November 2013, 03:49 PM
what did he get up to at the cup? I didn't see a meltdown on these boards and I steer clear of most trash news.

I hope Goodes rides buddy like it's the Melbourne cup. He signed a contract that was mandatory #1 player tag, and a target on his back. He has to earn it and have the passing of the mantle from our great one A.Goodes.

spiffy-dude
12th November 2013, 04:21 PM
Hmmmm, from all reports Buddy made a grade A goose of himself at the Cup.

I suspect that the leadership group will be prepared to take him on if necessary but what if he bucks up and gives the system the finger? We have a 9 year $10M problem on our hands playing in the twos.

High risk, High reward does not even go close to describing this bloke.....

- - - Updated - - -

I assume our standard player contract has a "Gross Misconduct" clause in it. Expect the boys to come down on this bloke like a ton of bricks if he plays up.

No he didnt. He acted the same as any of the other footballers. Hyperbole.

We have to remember that we are NOW on the watch list for grubby journos. After a fair few years building up our "bloods" culture to the point that it got to mythical proportions and then attracting a player personality like buddy then i am not surprised by any of this.

The mesicans down south will be salivating for any bit of goss that brings down our squeaky clean culture, one that was elevated to where it is by the melbourne media.

So people be prepared for A LOT of this for the next 9 years.

We have been elevated to collingwood levels of hate simply because we did what we do. Australians looove watching an underdog come from nothing and be top of his game BUT if that underdog then becomes consistent and continues to be a good aussies then somewhow turn on them and the hatred becomes strong. I really never understood why this is the case.

But yeah we have to start ignorin all of it and hope its all goss and then start learning how to deal with it.

Plugger46
12th November 2013, 04:34 PM
Talk about a beat up. Some of the rubbish printed after the Flemington carnival is disgraceful. I mean making a story out of him saying "Sonny who". Please.

Franklin hasn't become the footballer he is by not working hard. He and the Swans will be fine.

On-Baller
12th November 2013, 04:57 PM
While i agree the melb media will love stories like this in this case i think its a daily telegraph article by Neil Cordy isnt it?

Red
12th November 2013, 05:21 PM
So people be prepared for A LOT of this for the next 9 years.

Lucky us.

On-Baller
12th November 2013, 05:33 PM
At least he doesnt have the seedy looking hat he was sporting that day in that picture. There was an video interview on the HUN website last week with him at the cup and he seemed a bit sloshed, still aquitted himself ok though. As others have said nothing different to nearly every other player at the carnival.

spiffy-dude
12th November 2013, 05:53 PM
Oh noes buddy went to the horse racers and was spotted with other celebs doing what celebs do best with his model GF by his side. he wore an old school bowlers hat and had his moevemeber look on.

Thats it he now has to sit in front of a 6 man committee in the bunker of the SCG and explain his actions to secret society.

My only concern at this stage is buddy seems to be a little bit too much in a happy comfy place, he has stacked ona few kilos since we signed him BUT i guess thats in his genetics. If you have a look at his old man well he is 5 buddies and more. But i am sure come 2nd of Dec he will focus back to playing AFL.

Anyway show me a genuine superstar from any code who is a good Christian boy who spends saturday night cooking for his mom and listening to father John.

Nico
12th November 2013, 06:09 PM
Oh noes buddy went to the horse racers and was spotted with other celebs doing what celebs do best with his model GF by his side. he wore an old school bowlers hat and had his moevemeber look on.

Thats it he now has to sit in front of a 6 man committee in the bunker of the SCG and explain his actions to secret society.

My only concern at this stage is buddy seems to be a little bit too much in a happy comfy place, he has stacked ona few kilos since we signed him BUT i guess thats in his genetics. If you have a look at his old man well he is 5 buddies and more. But i am sure come 2nd of Dec he will focus back to playing AFL.

Anyway show me a genuine superstar from any code who is a good Christian boy who spends saturday night cooking for his mom and listening to father John.

What's a mom?

Red
12th November 2013, 06:15 PM
At least he doesnt have the seedy looking hat he was sporting that day in that picture.
He doesn't need a hat to look seedy. It's amazing what some bling, an over-sized gold watch, gang signs and a bow tie can do :)

Edit: (and a pimp-mo)

Nico
12th November 2013, 06:19 PM
If that's his GF then he is travelling ok.

Red
12th November 2013, 06:26 PM
You mean the one in the white hat?

spiffy-dude
12th November 2013, 06:49 PM

You do know that his GF is a former Miss Universe Australia winner? Not a patch on our captains wife but she is pretty hot regardless.

And really Buddy is doing what most alpha sports players do.

- - - Updated - - -

What's a mom?

The lady who buys candy and ketchup from the mall and she gets there by driving in her SVU pick up.

Melbourne_Blood
12th November 2013, 07:21 PM
Look he probably did nothing wrong, but he'll always come across as a bit of a nob to some people, myself included. Just because he signed with us doesn't change the way I see him. There is just something I don't quite like about him. I don't have much great reason for it, Buddy just has that effect on some people. On the other hand some others absolutely love him, granted most are hawthorn supporters. As long as he behaves ( getting pissed at the races is probably fine, abusing females in bars and snorting coke not so much - allegations only) and performs very, very well for us on the field I haven't got any issue with his poor moustaches and wanky hats. It's not really a swans look but perhaps the whole point of the Buddy coup was to break free of the old swans image? Who knows? Goodbye ugly ducklings, hello pimp daddy swans. Let's go after a different crowd, the Happy Gilmore effect, get people through the gates no matter what the flow on effect?

Auntie.Gerald
12th November 2013, 07:40 PM
you cant have brilliance without a touch of crazy !

Carey
Ablett
Hall
Plugger

the list is endless !

im not worried in the slightest !

ShockOfHair
12th November 2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced and fair warning seasoned with a challenge and tongue in cheek well and truly planted. Goodsey is saying a lot without appearing to say anything at all. Love it.

We should call this thread the Buddy Incident File. He does have form for acting like a jerk in public which gives credence to this not-terribly-specific story. But if this is the worst he gets up to over the next nine years and 46 weeks, who cares.

Agree with you Prim that Goodes' handling of it was classy as usual.

Bloodthirsty
12th November 2013, 08:57 PM
Seems as soon as we signed him he got fat. Is he fat every off-season? I bet if I tracked down a picture of Tippett right now he'd be looking AFL-ready.

spiffy-dude
12th November 2013, 09:08 PM
Buddy making sure of Goodes impression - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-12/buddy-back-early)

He knows the deal.

mariachi
12th November 2013, 09:46 PM
And there was a stupid pic of him and GF grocery shopping today. News? Not even in the slow period, from the laziest journo in Oz. Looking forward to the story about him eating Chrismas lunch...

R-1
13th November 2013, 01:07 AM
Buddy returning to preseason training early

Buddy making sure of Goodes impression - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-12/buddy-back-early)

Reckon he's okay. There's seriously never been a knock on his training or fitness situation.

wolftone57
13th November 2013, 01:22 AM
You do know that his GF is a former Miss Universe Australia winner? Not a patch on our captains wife but she is pretty hot regardless.

And really Buddy is doing what most alpha sports players do.

- - - Updated - - -

The lady who buys candy and ketchup from the mall and she gets there by driving in her SVU pick up.

Do you mean lollies & tomato sauce? That is a mum I believe. Only spelt mom in the US of A not anywhere else not even Canada.

wolftone57
13th November 2013, 01:26 AM
Seems as soon as we signed him he got fat. Is he fat every off-season? I bet if I tracked down a picture of Tippett right now he'd be looking AFL-ready.

Buddy has a habit of getting fat in the off season as he is a lazy bastard at heart. The Hawks knew this and he was put on a special extra training program every year. He turned up to the Hawks preseason training one year 10kg over his weight with a real overhang and they knew they had a problem and went into overdrive getting the weight off him. We will have to watch him in this regard, he is not a natural trainer and is more a natural player.

bloodsbigot
13th November 2013, 01:35 AM

Primmy
13th November 2013, 09:24 AM
:rofl

Bloodthirsty
13th November 2013, 09:38 AM
Buddy has a habit of getting fat in the off season as he is a lazy bastard at heart. The Hawks knew this and he was put on a special extra training program every year. He turned up to the Hawks preseason training one year 10kg over his weight with a real overhang and they knew they had a problem and went into overdrive getting the weight off him. We will have to watch him in this regard, he is not a natural trainer and is more a natural player.

If he turns up 10kg overweight in his early 20s I wonder how many kgs he'll be overweight at 36?

Hope he doesn't just put the cue in the rack after signing this contract. Saw a really terrible interview with him at the racing carnival. He couldn't give a #### about the interview, and when asked about how Swans fans have welcomed him, he ummed and ahhed and danced around the question, eventually deflecting it with an unconvincing 'yeah' after being led in that direction by the interviewer. Contrast that with Gary Ablett Jr interviews, who always seems to give everyone the time of day.

I guess next season will do the all talking.

robamiee
13th November 2013, 09:43 AM
Neil cordy is trying to dig up whatever he can...they say wheres the smoke theres fire, prob is Cordy is the one lighting the fire.. Seriously so what if he goes to the Cup and enjoys himself, cant the guy have a life...as long as he turns up, trains well, applys himself into the team ethos and puts out on the field, who gives a flying rats ass....

Jewels
13th November 2013, 11:42 AM
Seriously so what if he goes to the Cup and enjoys himself, cant the guy have a life...as long as he turns up, trains well, applys himself into the team ethos and puts out on the field, who gives a flying rats ass....

Exactly!

He's on holidays for heavens sake, cut the guy a break. He's been a professional footballer for a while now and a pretty fair one at that, and would know exactly what has to be done to be cherry ripe come round one.
How many of those criticising him would come back from holidays two weeks before they are due just to make the right impression?

ScottH
13th November 2013, 11:42 AM
It's all free publicity for the Swans!!
Bombers got it all this season, now it is our turn.

magic.merkin
13th November 2013, 12:00 PM
"He's going to start back on Monday and at least spend a couple of days with the young fellas so they know who he is. He's due back on December 2."

haha. I doubt any kids will be "who's this big fella? Back of the queue Bundy".

...And yes I know the meant him on a personal level. But I smiled at the US import etc having no clue :)

annew
13th November 2013, 05:23 PM
I didn't think they were allowed to come back early, I thought they had to have the prescribed time off.

liz
13th November 2013, 05:27 PM
I didn't think they were allowed to come back early, I thought they had to have the prescribed time off.

I don't think they can be required to come back early. But if Buddy wants to spend two of his leave days running around Centennial Park and having a kick on Lakeside Oval, doubt anyone will get too upset.

Auntie.Gerald
13th November 2013, 07:25 PM
I just want to know who is going to wear the 23 this season ?

my personal opinion is no one should have to give up their jersey for anyone else if they dont want to !

liz
13th November 2013, 07:50 PM
I just want to know who is going to wear the 23 this season ?

my personal opinion is no one should have to give up their jersey for anyone else if they dont want to !

Buddy may not even want 23 (notwithstanding his comments at the post-signing press conference). It is a number of some significance at the Hawks but not at the Swans.

If he does, I find it hard to imagine Lockyer "not wanting" to give it up. His public demeanour doesn't suggest he's the type to dig his heels in, and it's not as if he has achieved anything in his career that might make that number particularly dear to him.

Auntie.Gerald
13th November 2013, 07:53 PM
Pies entitled to their opinion: Thomas - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-13/daisy-meets-the-media)

13th November 2013, 08:56 PM
Buddy may not even want 2. It is a number of some significance at the Hawks but not at the Swans.

It should be. The first Sydney Swan to kick a goal at the SCG was wearing it at the time. The first player in the VFL/AFL to play 50 games for 3 different clubs wore it for us.

it's not as if he has achieved anything in his career that might make that number particularly dear to him.

No, but he might be a massive Michael Jordan or Shane Warne fan (or even Colin Hounsell or Glenn Coleman for that matter). Who knows why someone wants a specific number?

goswannie14
13th November 2013, 09:22 PM
It might also just be that the number was available when the young fella came to the club.

Triple B
13th November 2013, 09:23 PM
I've said it before, just give Buddy #13....thirteeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!!!

goswannies
13th November 2013, 09:37 PM
I've said it before, just give Buddy #13....thirteeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!!!

How about something unique that will make him stand out? Copy Chicago Bull Robert Parish & wear 00? Or Wayne Gretzky's 99? Why has no one ever worn rediculously high or low numbers like in the NBA or HNL?

Triple B
13th November 2013, 09:43 PM
He cops enough unfair flack now for supposedly being self-centered and me me me, imagine if he went down that path, all hell would break loose....lol

Melbourne_Blood
13th November 2013, 09:55 PM
100 may be appropriate. A few years ago urban legend has it he hit that mystical number of bedded woman and began to refer to himself as a " triple figure Nig#%@ " when out and about on the turps.

Velour&Ruffles
13th November 2013, 10:07 PM
I'm as willing as the next Swans fan to embrace a "Melbourne media hates us" line. Most times it is true (because most articles are written to appeal to Collingwood supporters). But in this case I don't think so. I have a lot of thoughts and misgivings about the Buddy deal. Some are just personal instinct/bias, some are more objectively based. But here they are, for whatever they are worth. I hope I am proved wrong and he is a roaring success. But I have a bad feeling.

1. The Melbourne media have been all over Buddy for years. Caro Wilson loathes him already. It isn't anti-Swans bias at work. The real question is just whether he is a Fev-esque knob who deserves it or an unjustly maligned innocent. Crying "bias" is an easy way of avoiding hard questions. I just hope that none of the rumours that circulated when he was a Hawk were true because if even a small proportion are right then our "no dickheads" policy and renowned culture are under major threat.
2. On an unrelated subject, the apple don't fall far from the tree. Anyone seen a picture of Buddy's old man? And if it is true that you know a man by the company he keeps then I'm pretty concerned. He seems to favour the absolute dregs of rugby as companions.
3. Do we really need him? We won the 2012 GF when he was against us. Since then we have added the Big Tip to our forward line. And frankly he didn't contribute much to the 2013 Hawks flag.
4. He has a genuinely terrible kicking technique. While other factors were also important, I doubt we would have won the 2012 GF if it wasn't for his technical flaws. Despite the obvious talents he has, I am not sure that - overall - having those flaws on our side is such a good thing. And whether they are worth the biggest contract in football history is a whole other question.
5. He is the antithesis of the Bloods ethos. Is he a Brett Kirk Cortina? I think not. A big part of the joy of being a Swans supporter has been being a Cortina driver who wins against the odds. We have been a team that has thrived on a "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" ethos and now we are suddenly buying into the polar opposite philosophy. What car are we being asked to embrace here? I hope it is an enduring classic like the Porsche 911, but I fear we have bought a flashy, unreliable DeLorean (spare us your Back to the Future analogies). And by the way,
6. Does anyone seriously believe Buddy will play until he is 36? I fear his contract will be a salary cap millstone around our necks many years after he has become an "ambassador" for the Swans or something equally spurious. (Yes, I am familiar with the Alistair Lynch example but I don't think he is Alistair Lynch. As he shows every pre-season, Buddy is a fat lazy dude by nature, hiding in an incredibly gifted shell. Sooner or later the inner fat lazy dude will take over, and with a massively backended contract where is the incentive now for him to keep flogging himself unto age 36?) If we were going to offer a Godfather deal like this, wouldn't waiting until Jeremy Cameron's contract was next up for renewal have been a smarter move?
7. I fear we have paid WAY over the odds. All the articles about the vast amounts GWS were going to pay him proved to be laughably inaccurate (like most articles in the press, but that is a different rant). I think we have been played like a violin by his management. We could have got him for a HEAP less (and kept more depth in the process). The exodus of depth will bite at some point. And what will the massive investment in Buddy do to our ability to recruit other important ingredients ( eg a Teddy replacement) and retain rising stars (eg Tom Mitchell) when the time comes....sooner than we think.....
8. Even now, I don't think he is the player he once was. His overhead marking is non existent. In fact, he seems to struggle to lift his arms above shoulder level. There is a lot of lurking and staging, always a bad sign. He will produce brilliant moments, maybe even some brilliant periods, but we have bought a star that is already on the wane. I repeat my inner fat lazy dude theory.

I could go on but I won't. My point is clear. I think we have bought someone who is a nuff-nuff knob by nature who has never really had to try because he has been able to coast along on the strength of his incredible athletic gifts, who doesnt have the mental strength to start working hard now for the first time in his life and will fall off a cliff performance-wise when age and injury start to exert their influence on him.....which has already started to happen. I fear he is cultural poison who will tear a great team ethos and the work of twenty years to shreds. And I fear we have put all our eggs in the one overrated, waning and unneccessary basket, which will cripple our recruitment and retention for years.

Our club management has done a remarkable job since the early 90s to lift us to where we are now, and the Swans are one of the few enduring loves of my life, so I sincerely hope that they are right and I am wrong.

goswannies
13th November 2013, 10:13 PM
100 may be appropriate. A few years ago urban legend has it he hit that mystical number of bedded woman and began to refer to himself as a " triple figure Nig#%@ " when out and about on the turps.

Mal Brown apparently wore 100 in the WAFL. I wore 272 for a season for UniBlacks. Didn't get me any unwanted attention ;)

ernie koala
13th November 2013, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, I pretty much agree with Velour & Ruffles...

It's going to be a fluctuating ride early, hopefully with more highs than lows...But there is an extremely long tail, ready to sting.

MightyBloods
14th November 2013, 01:54 AM
I'm as willing as the next Swans fan to embrace a "Melbourne media hates us" line. Most times it is true (because most articles are written to appeal to Collingwood supporters). But in this case I don't think so. I have a lot of thoughts and misgivings about the Buddy deal. Some are just personal instinct/bias, some are more objectively based. But here they are, for whatever they are worth. I hope I am proved wrong and he is a roaring success. But I have a bad feeling.

1. The Melbourne media have been all over Buddy for years. Caro Wilson loathes him already. It isn't anti-Swans bias at work. The real question is just whether he is a Fev-esque knob who deserves it or an unjustly maligned innocent. Crying "bias" is an easy way of avoiding hard questions. I just hope that none of the rumours that circulated when he was a Hawk were true because if even a small proportion are right then our "no dickheads" policy and renowned culture are under major threat.
2. On an unrelated subject, the apple don't fall far from the tree. Anyone seen a picture of Buddy's old man? And if it is true that you know a man by the company he keeps then I'm pretty concerned. He seems to favour the absolute dregs of rugby as companions.
3. Do we really need him? We won the 2012 GF when he was against us. Since then we have added the Big Tip to our forward line. And frankly he didn't contribute much to the 2013 Hawks flag.
4. He has a genuinely terrible kicking technique. While other factors were also important, I doubt we would have won the 2012 GF if it wasn't for his technical flaws. Despite the obvious talents he has, I am not sure that - overall - having those flaws on our side is such a good thing. And whether they are worth the biggest contract in football history is a whole other question.
5. He is the antithesis of the Bloods ethos. Is he a Brett Kirk Cortina? I think not. A big part of the joy of being a Swans supporter has been being a Cortina driver who wins against the odds. We have been a team that has thrived on a "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" ethos and now we are suddenly buying into the polar opposite philosophy. What car are we being asked to embrace here? I hope it is an enduring classic like the Porsche 911, but I fear we have bought a flashy, unreliable DeLorean (spare us your Back to the Future analogies). And by the way,
6. Does anyone seriously believe Buddy will play until he is 36? I fear his contract will be a salary cap millstone around our necks many years after he has become an "ambassador" for the Swans or something equally spurious. (Yes, I am familiar with the Alistair Lynch example but I don't think he is Alistair Lynch. As he shows every pre-season, Buddy is a fat lazy dude by nature, hiding in an incredibly gifted shell. Sooner or later the inner fat lazy dude will take over, and with a massively backended contract where is the incentive now for him to keep flogging himself unto age 36?) If we were going to offer a Godfather deal like this, wouldn't waiting until Jeremy Cameron's contract was next up for renewal have been a smarter move?
7. I fear we have paid WAY over the odds. All the articles about the vast amounts GWS were going to pay him proved to be laughably inaccurate (like most articles in the press, but that is a different rant). I think we have been played like a violin by his management. We could have got him for a HEAP less (and kept more depth in the process). The exodus of depth will bite at some point. And what will the massive investment in Buddy do to our ability to recruit other important ingredients ( eg a Teddy replacement) and retain rising stars (eg Tom Mitchell) when the time comes....sooner than we think.....
8. Even now, I don't think he is the player he once was. His overhead marking is non existent. In fact, he seems to struggle to lift his arms above shoulder level. There is a lot of lurking and staging, always a bad sign. He will produce brilliant moments, maybe even some brilliant periods, but we have bought a star that is already on the wane. I repeat my inner fat lazy dude theory.

I could go on but I won't. My point is clear. I think we have bought someone who is a nuff-nuff knob by nature who has never really had to try because he has been able to coast along on the strength of his incredible athletic gifts, who doesnt have the mental strength to start working hard now for the first time in his life and will fall off a cliff performance-wise when age and injury start to exert their influence on him.....which has already started to happen. I fear he is cultural poison who will tear a great team ethos and the work of twenty years to shreds. And I fear we have put all our eggs in the one overrated, waning and unneccessary basket, which will cripple our recruitment and retention for years.

Our club management has done a remarkable job since the early 90s to lift us to where we are now, and the Swans are one of the few enduring loves of my life, so I sincerely hope that they are right and I am wrong.

Unfortunately your summary doesn't take into account the profit the club will make regarding merchandising/memembership sales/Primetime media exposure to name a few. I heard recently that the club is selling approx 400 memberships a day MORE than this time last year. As soon as Buddy gets his guernsey number ...watch the merchandising sales hit the roof. No coincidence that Ch 7 and foxtel wanted more Swans games in TV primetime given Buddy as a new recruit...........the Club will make a very healthy profit financially in the early years from the whole deal.
.....and as far as 'impact the ground'...no one expects Buddy to play out the full 9 years. The contract length was a way of putting our competition off matching the deal and also a very clever way of managing our salary cap over the long term knowing that the salary cap will substantially increase in future years (another TV rights deal is due in approx 3 years). I'll be happy if Buddy gives us 6 good consistent years and more than happy he's no longer wearing the colours of one of our major competitors now and in the next few years.

Financially and brand wise (especially for a NSW based club) a masterstroke. Playing wise..time will tell.
I am prepared to back the club's judgement on this call even before he's played a game in the red and white.

ps Velour & Ruffles, are you Melb based? As anyone I speak to in Melb has no idea of how important marketing and brand is to our club in Sydney. We not only have to work for fans for our club but also to get fans to the AFL code. No Melb based friends of mine really understand the great challenge clubs in AFL developing states have.

Legs Akimbo
14th November 2013, 05:54 AM

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Not even the pre-season and I feeling a bit odd about the whole thing. I have a dread of Lance jr turning up to the club looking like his old man. I have read these articles of hate and innuendo with a sense of bemusement. It's all just doesn't feel right - can this be a swans player?

I had thought we moved on from the Capper days (not that he ever got sloshed at the races and generates headlines). What's next? "Swannettes dance when Buddy gets off his fat arse and kicks a goal."

So much focus and investment in one player.

Go Swannies
14th November 2013, 07:25 AM
Roos takes on the momentous task to turn around the Dees. The Swans take on the task of turning around Buddy's behaviour. You have to challenge yourself. And, as MB says, I expect a chunk of Buddy's salary has already been paid in increased memberships.

I've been in the RedBull bar with Buddy late in the day at the F1 GP and he was quiet and self-effacing. I'm sure he's been an idiot at times but don't think we don't/haven't had other lesser players who have done dumb things during a night on the town.

Summary: I'm prepared to wait and see how Buddy is as a a Swan rather than just on the bring Buddy down bandwagon. And I'll be excited to see him line up for us next year.

ernie koala
14th November 2013, 07:50 AM
The contract length was a way of putting our competition off matching the deal and also a very clever way of managing our salary cap over the long term knowing that the salary cap will substantially increase in future years (another TV rights deal is due in approx 3 years).

Whilst I agree with you, regarding the financial and promotional value of Franklin, an increase in the salary cap will not help the club one iota.

Every club gets the increased salary cap. It doesn't matter how much it is.....

If we have $1 milion plus per year less to spend than the other clubs, due to paying out Franklins contract, we will be at a distinct disadvantage attracting and holding onto the best players. (ironic given our present cap situation)

Primmy
14th November 2013, 09:20 AM
If Buddy does want 23 I doubt Lockyer will block it. But I hear number 19 is free......but that already has a 'name' attached to it. AND 23 to me is Matty Nicks, and he was a dead set favourite. 32 is taken.

10 and 11 are free.

Nah, I think he should take 24. Synchronicity, and form even though it has Jude's name attached for years to come.

ugg
14th November 2013, 09:25 AM
If I was Lockyer and Buddy wanted 23 that badly, I would ask for a little financial incentive to change. After all, we know that Buddy can afford it

spiffy-dude
14th November 2013, 10:14 AM
I wish we didn't sign up Lance. That way we could be still be a homogeneous and generic club with this over hyped culture. That way the majority of our fans can feel all smug when other clubs stars misbehave or sign up loud personalities. I wish the club continued on just being content in only having the small supporter base we have and not trying to break new supporters in by signing a very marketable player.

In fact i liked it when we were old cortinas covered in "I vote greens I have a conscious" stickers with other sanctimonious slogans and vegetarian/vegan messages while we scoffed at others. Now we are starting to look like BMW and Porshe 4wd owners.

I mean its just not fair!

Seriously people get used to it, the game that he returns 10.1 and we flog a top 2 team all will be forgotten, such is the emotional craziness of all AFL fans.

Blood Tunnel
14th November 2013, 11:10 AM
Whilst I agree with you, regarding the financial and promotional value of Franklin, an increase in the salary cap will not help the club one iota.

Every club gets the increased salary cap. It doesn't matter how much it is.....

If we have $1 milion plus per year less to spend than the other clubs, due to paying out Franklins contract, we will be at a distinct disadvantage attracting and holding onto the best players. (ironic given our present cap situation)

In 5 years time when Buddy is getting 1.2 or 1.4 M, our main competitors will have a player or 2 demanding similar amounts from their club. What will Selwood of Geelong be on in 3 years for example? If prior to his next contract, someone comes knocking & offers him $8M for the final 5 years of his career, then the Cats are going to have to offer him at least $1M per year, don't you think? they also have Hawkins to worry about. So the one major positive out of this long term contract is the knowledge that it won't change & other contracts can be done accordingly. $1.4M could quite easily seem like a bargain in 4 or 5 years time in comparison to the contracts of the stars of the comp around that time.
It's quite feasible that there will be another player or two on 1.5-1.8 M per year.
5 years ago, not too many players were on 800K but that has increased significantly. It's only natural. Our main concern with Buddy is that he represents our club & his fellow team mates with respect & the respect will be returned ten fold.
If he gets that, then we'll all get along fine, whilst rubbing Hawk supporters' noses in it!

- - - Updated - - -

I wish we didn't sign up Lance. That way we could be still be a homogeneous and generic club with this over hyped culture. That way the majority of our fans can feel all smug when other clubs stars misbehave or sign up loud personalities. I wish the club continued on just being content in only having the small supporter base we have and not trying to break new supporters in by signing a very marketable player.

In fact i liked it when we were old cortinas covered in "I vote greens I have a conscious" stickers with other sanctimonious slogans and vegetarian/vegan messages while we scoffed at others. Now we are starting to look like BMW and Porshe 4wd owners.

Seriously people get used to it, the game that he returns 10.1 and we flog a top 2 team all will be forgotten, such is the emotional craziness of all AFL fans.

Here here!

ernie koala
14th November 2013, 12:29 PM
In 5 years time when Buddy is getting 1.2 or 1.4 M, our main competitors will have a player or 2 demanding similar amounts from their club. What will Selwood of Geelong be on in 3 years for example? If prior to his next contract, someone comes knocking & offers him $8M for the final 5 years of his career, then the Cats are going to have to offer him at least $1M per year, don't you think? they also have Hawkins to worry about. So the one major positive out of this long term contract is the knowledge that it won't change & other contracts can be done accordingly. $1.4M could quite easily seem like a bargain in 4 or 5 years time in comparison to the contracts of the stars of the comp around that time.
It's quite feasible that there will be another player or two on 1.5-1.8 M per year.
5 years ago, not too many players were on 800K but that has increased significantly. It's only natural. Our main concern with Buddy is that he represents our club & his fellow team mates with respect & the respect will be returned ten fold.
If he gets that, then we'll all get along fine, whilst rubbing Hawk supporters' noses in it!

Your talking about what may happen in 5 years time....I'm talking about what may happen in 7 - 9 years time...

ie: When the Swans will still have to include his salary in their cap, even if he has finished playing......Big difference.

Velour&Ruffles
14th November 2013, 12:48 PM
It's quite feasible that there will be another player or two on 1.5-1.8 M per year. 5 years ago, not too many players were on 800K but that has increased significantly. It's only natural. Our main concern with Buddy is that he represents our club & his fellow team mates with respect & the respect will be returned ten fold.

- - - Updated - - -

Here here!

Yes, It's quite feasible that there will be another player or two on 1.5-1.8 M per year.

But the important difference will be that they will probably be taking the field and actually playing, whereas Buddy probably won't be. He'll just be taking up room in the salary cap.

Chilcott
14th November 2013, 12:49 PM
Your talking about what may happen in 5 years time....I'm talking about what may happen in 7 - 9 years time...

ie: When the Swans will still have to include his salary in their cap, even if he has finished playing......Big difference.

Ernie, I'm sure we will manage. It may mean Kinnear will need to continue with his smart recruiting of players not getting a regular game at their club.

jono2707
14th November 2013, 12:51 PM
As far as I understand that in later years, if Buddy retires, we are not required to pay out the remainder of his contract, which we would be of we delisted him. Is my understanding correct?

Velour&Ruffles
14th November 2013, 12:54 PM

The game that he returns 10.1 will be a red letter day, because his usual return from 11 scoring shots would be 4.7

I hope you are right though. I will be cheering as loud as anyone.

desredandwhite
14th November 2013, 01:09 PM
As far as I understand that in later years, if Buddy retires, we are not required to pay out the remainder of his contract, which we would be of we delisted him. Is my understanding correct?

I believe that we don't have to pay him, but the amount would still be counted in the cap.

spiffy-dude
14th November 2013, 02:21 PM
Yes, It's quite feasible that there will be another player or two on 1.5-1.8 M per year.

But the important difference will be that they will probably be taking the field and actually playing, whereas Buddy probably won't be. He'll just be taking up room in the salary cap.

Why the doom and gloom. The club knew exactly what they are doing and I am sure they know exactly well about his misdemeanour's and his 2 strikes that he has. But the club made a decision. Heck we have won 2 flags in under a decade and that hasnt even bolstered our supporter base, so they are banking on the 2nd best player in the AFL.

We can go two ways, keep being that boutique club that has a very slow growth in new supporters and i mean slow in a market that WE now have to share with a club that no one cares OR we can attract a whole heap of new members just like Plugger did which saw the club move on and lay the seeds to our most successful period ever.

I know personally the signing of Lance has reinvigorated my interest for the code as it was dwindling at a fast rate after last season with the bombers and all that. I was ready to leave the code as i was sick of how contrived and how manipulating the whole league had become.

Now i cant wait until round 1 next year.

MightyBloods
14th November 2013, 02:55 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Here here!

Agree on all fronts.
...and I can remember similar noise and cynics when Alistair Lynch was signed to a long term contract which ended in one of the biggest bargains for Brisbane.......and similar noise when the Swans signed someone called Tony Lockett. I think I heard media and some supporters question what will Plugger do to Sydney's culture with his so called bad attitude and if he'd be accepted after his infamous clash with Peter Caven. Even time doesnt stop the cynics and noise from going away. Recruitment is all about trying to foretell the future and I'd prefer to back our experts and not some coach potatoes with a gut feel. The club has done a reasonable job in recent years. Two flags and hopefully another within the next few years.

spiffy-dude
14th November 2013, 03:18 PM
We have pulled off two, not 1 but two major signings, we have trimmed the fat with list cloggers, have the best coaching dept in the land, for the first time in decades top players want to come to us and finally we don't have to put up with the patronising and head patting from down south because they hate us in that envious way...and yet our supporters are friggen worried about him wearing a stupid hat or what a gossip much racking newspaper has to say.

I seriously have not followed a code where i have experienced this. Must be the socialist way the AFL has been run but i simply dont get it. Other code fans would be absolutely thrilled in signing say a messi and ronaldo for both of them to play in the same team.

magic.merkin
14th November 2013, 03:37 PM
I agree with everything except your constant vitriol towards Victorians.

spiffy-dude
14th November 2013, 03:48 PM
Well the majority of all the noise, stupidity and innuendo does come from melbourne, so what else am i too say.

Plugger46
14th November 2013, 03:59 PM
Well the majority of all the noise, stupidity and innuendo does come from melbourne, so what else am i too say.

Did you read the drivel from Richard Hinds the other day? Peter Fitzsimons as well?

No doubt that there's plenty of peanuts in the Melbourne media. There's plenty in the Sydney media too.

On-Baller
14th November 2013, 04:00 PM
I agree with everything except your constant vitriol towards Victorians.

+1 Its like a broken record on here of late, when i started this thread many started laying the boots into the vic media straight away, yet it was Neil Cordy and TheDailyTelegraph that published the story. Yes the melbourne media can suck but so does the sydney media when it comes to reporting on the storm. Change the record please.

spiffy-dude
14th November 2013, 04:18 PM
I forgot, when you criticise melbourne people they get so angry and upset, but the same people have no qualms in telling you how much Sydney is a @@@@hole and how every sydneysider is nothing but trash..and this before you can get a word in.

Makes me laugh all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you read the drivel from Richard Hinds the other day? Peter Fitzsimons as well?

No doubt that there's plenty of peanuts in the Melbourne media. There's plenty in the Sydney media too.

I dont read murdoch papers, they make me so angry that its not worth my time.

I did read his drivel when he wrote for the SMH and he seems to have been told by news limited to change his style thus news readers can understand.

ScottH
14th November 2013, 04:42 PM
I forgot, when you criticise melbourne people they get so angry and upset, but the same people have no qualms in telling you how much Sydney is a @@@@hole and how every sydneysider is nothing but trash..and this before you can get a word in.

Makes me laugh all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont read murdoch papers, they make me so angry that its not worth my time.

I did read his drivel when he wrote for the SMH and he seems to have been told by news limited to change his style thus news readers can understand.

I have no idea what you are on about.
I live in Melbourne and I hardly hear anyone bag Sydney.
All people get upset and angry when criticised unnecessarily, not just Melbourne people.
All papers are full of dribble, especially at this time of year as there is nothing else to write about in relation to football. Hence why I don't read the papers. ( Although I did catch Mr Hinds bit)

You have been warned before about your anti Melb/Vic rants. They are just becoming tiresome and boring.
Many of the people on this site are not from Sydney, and all you're doing is insulting them with your pointless rants.

Enough is enough.

Bloodthirsty
14th November 2013, 04:48 PM
Anyone who reads mainstream media for any other purpose than flipping through it while waiting at a cafe for their coffee cannot be taken seriously. It is 100% sensationalism, distraction or propaganda. But somehow papers keep selling. Go figure.

Anyway, regarding Buddy - as someone said earlier, there is a long tail and it will sting, but I believe that the Swans' philosophy is that we will be largely immune to the poison by then such that we will be well ahead of the deal with an array of KPIs including premierships won, market share grown, profits made and competitor comparisons made under changing future conditions.

Mug Punter
14th November 2013, 04:58 PM
I have no idea what you are on about.
I live in Melbourne and I hardly hear anyone bag Sydney.
All people get upset and angry when criticised unnecessarily, not just Melbourne people.
All papers are full of dribble, especially at this time of year as there is nothing else to write about in relation to football. Hence why I don't read the papers. ( Although I did catch Mr Hinds bit)

You have been warned before about your anti Melb/Vic rants. They are just becoming tiresome and boring.
Many of the people on this site are not from Sydney, and all you're doing is insulting them with your pointless rants.

Enough is enough.

Indeed, let's all respect our fellow supporters. I love Sydney, have lived here all my life, but rate Melbourne highly. The whole Sydney-Melbourne thing is tiresome.

I have to laugh at our own supporters though. Had GWS signed Buddy on our terms we would be deriding the deal and the player.

Why? Because this deal has real risk, upside and downside. Buddy could be a bargain in 5 years time or his best days could be behind him and he could be a financial drain of massive proportions. He could find the Swans culture just what he needs or he could be a loose cannon that is nothing but trouble (He has form, whether we like to admit or not).

He is a risky proposition. I feel uneasy about it but I believe he is a risk worth taking and if he can help win us a flag in the next three years (his best days will probably be behind him in years 4-5 onwards) then I am happy carrying him for 2-3 years at the end of the deal.

Commercially it is a no-brainer and I love the fact that it strikes a huge blow to GWS.

It won't do any of us any favours to suddenly have Swans-coloured glasses with this bloke. He is a bit of a dickhead (from what I perceive anyway) but he is our dickhead and if he can win us a flag or two and meet our team rules then I'll live with any billy big bollocks behaviour that we have to deal with.

One thing is for sure, if he is not fit when he returns to training he is on for one hell of an off-season..

Mug Punter
14th November 2013, 05:02 PM
Anyone who reads mainstream media for any other purpose than flipping through it while waiting at a cafe for their coffee cannot be taken seriously. It is 100% sensationalism, distraction or propaganda. But somehow papers keep selling. Go figure.

Anyway, regarding Buddy - as someone said earlier, there is a long tail and it will sting, but I believe that the Swans' philosophy is that we will be largely immune to the poison by then such that we will be well ahead of the deal with an array of KPIs including premierships won, market share grown, profits made and competitor comparisons made under changing future conditions.

Reality is a lot high profile sportsmen have a huge amount of lair in them though I must say I do not see a lot in the current Swans squad (Buddy excepted).

Buddy will inevitably attract more attention to lairy behaviour due to having the highest profile in the game.

Unless it is serious then I'm going to let the inevitable tabloid tittle tattle wash over me. It will be really interesting to see if and how he pulls his head in at the Swans.

Melbourne_Blood
14th November 2013, 05:42 PM
Indeed, let's all respect our fellow supporters. I love Sydney, have lived here all my life, but rate Melbourne highly. The whole Sydney-Melbourne thing is tiresome.

I have to laugh at our own supporters though. Had GWS signed Buddy on our terms we would be deriding the deal and the player.

Why? Because this deal has real risk, upside and downside. Buddy could be a bargain in 5 years time or his best days could be behind him and he could be a financial drain of massive proportions. He could find the Swans culture just what he needs or he could be a loose cannon that is nothing but trouble (He has form, whether we like to admit or not).

He is a risky proposition. I feel uneasy about it but I believe he is a risk worth taking and if he can help win us a flag in the next three years (his best days will probably be behind him in years 4-5 onwards) then I am happy carrying him for 2-3 years at the end of the deal.

Commercially it is a no-brainer and I love the fact that it strikes a huge blow to GWS.

It won't do any of us any favours to suddenly have Swans-coloured glasses with this bloke. He is a bit of a dickhead (from what I perceive anyway) but he is our dickhead and if he can win us a flag or two and meet our team rules then I'll live with any billy big bollocks behaviour that we have to deal with.

One thing is for sure, if he is not fit when he returns to training he is on for one hell of an off-season..

Hats off to you Mug, very good post! And the line of the off season so far " he is our dickhead " Sensational !

chalbilto
14th November 2013, 06:03 PM

With respect to your views, I am curious, if not mainstream, what other media do you read to know what is happening in the rest of Australia and the world?

Mug Punter
14th November 2013, 07:56 PM
Hats off to you Mug, very good post! And the line of the off season so far " he is our dickhead " Sensational !

And I will defend to him to the death, despite my personal reservations.

One thing is for sure, the man is a human headline so hang on tight fellow Swans, it's sure going to be one hell of a ride.....

Bloodthirsty
15th November 2013, 12:26 AM
With respect to your views, I am curious, if not mainstream, what other media do you read to know what is happening in the rest of Australia and the world?

Basically alternative media such as Alex Jone's Infowars.com and a few others I know I can trust. For example, you would think the TPP would be splashed all across the front page of the papers. But no, I just flicked through the Tele in an IGA about an hour ago and no, what a surprise.

Infowars Blows The Lid Off TPP Agreement - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhzUGiYeZA4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvsye7V9psc-APX6wV1twLg)

I had to go through a lot of self-change to be at the place I am right now. I had to deconstruct, question and unlearn everything I heard at school, uni and from general society. The relevance of alternative media makes more sense when the bigger picture is understood. If everyone understood, fact by fact, then there would be less debt, less sickness, less corruption, no one dying of cancer or fake wars - the list goes on.

I won't go into it too much, and I apologise for getting off topic. It took me years to slowly realise these things.

The TPP affects 40% of the world's GDP. Buddy Franklin affects the other 60%.

Mug Punter
15th November 2013, 12:37 AM
Basically alternative media such as Alex Jone's Infowars.com and a few others I know I can trust. For example, you would think the TPP would be splashed all across the front page of the papers. But no, I just flicked through the Tele in an IGA about an hour ago and no, what a surprise.

Infowars Blows The Lid Off TPP Agreement - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhzUGiYeZA4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvsye7V9psc-APX6wV1twLg)

I had to go through a lot of self-change to be at the place I am right now. I had to deconstruct, question and unlearn everything I heard at school, uni and from general society. The relevance of alternative media makes more sense when the bigger picture is understood. If everyone understood, fact by fact, then there would be less debt, less sickness, less corruption, no one dying of cancer or fake wars - the list goes on.

I won't go into it too much, and I apologise for getting off topic. It took me years to slowly realise these things.

Interesting, thanks for the that.

Certainly the world view that we get fed from the Murdoch Press and media is appalling as to how skewed it is.

I'd like to think I can see through most of it (if I have to read a Murdoch rag then I only read the sport) but it is scary, absolutely frightening, how many people have no idea of the world apart from Alan Jones and the Tele.

sharp9
15th November 2013, 07:46 AM
With respect to your views, I am curious, if not mainstream, what other media do you read to know what is happening in the rest of Australia and the world?Start with huffingtonpost for anything even vaguely related to the USA - absolutely fantastic site that will actually make you smarter having read it :-)

As an example regarding biased media reporting (which I read about on huff post) 60 minutes has had to issue a formal apology about a story which basically told complete lies intended to discredit Hilary Clinton (regarding the Benghazi attack....look it up). How did such a venerable program like 60 minutes find themselves doing this? Well it turns out the entire TV story was based on a book full of lies (since recalled by the publisher) BUT THE BOOK WAS PUBLISHED BY A PUBLISHING HOUSE OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY AS THE TV STATION (NBC) - so 60 minutes were basically doing a huge promo for their own product...and the (so called) journalists were in the same position as Australian Murdoch journalists....either you run with this biased, inaccurate, hate-filled propaganda - or you do not have a job.

At Fox News (!) the "journalists" receive communication EVERY DAY from head office TELLING them which particular anti-Obama talking points they are REQUIRED to insert into their shows. They come up with new ones each day to try and keep it fresh....sweet. Jon Stewart (genius) and others do great montages of the Fox people each spouting the identical lines (often word for word) and you really have to admire the fact that a lot of them can make it seem as if it is part of a spontaneous conversation....they are skilled at what they do :-)

But we all saw the Fox model in action in Australia during the election.

BTW in the USA there used to be statutes that news reports had to be actual unbiased news....if this was not adhered to then broadcasters could lose their rights to frequencies and lose access to government press conferences etc...

Needless to say this was removed by the Reagan administration.

Bloods05
15th November 2013, 08:46 AM

Well said, old son. The mainstream media is dying a slow death, by its own hand. Sports reporting is no exception to the general malaise. There are plenty of alternative (and much more reliable) sources of info out there, but even if there weren't, I'd prefer to stay ignorant than to be "informed" by low-lifes like Murdoch.

Primmy
15th November 2013, 10:21 AM
Hats off to you Mug, very good post! And the line of the off season so far " he is our dickhead " Sensational !Excellent posts both of you.

And may I remind a few of those who remember, and well before we all had home computers etc by which to vent. HOW many members handed in their memberships when Plugger was recruited to the Swans. Hmm?? Go on, how many of you. The protests, the fury, even Kenny went "off"......
And look how badly that turned out.....

Wait and see people, wait and see......

Ruck'n'Roll
15th November 2013, 10:50 AM
Well said, old son. The mainstream media is dying a slow death, by its own hand. Sports reporting is no exception to the general malaise. There are plenty of alternative (and much more reliable) sources of info out there, but even if there weren't, I'd prefer to stay ignorant than to be "informed" by low-lifes like Murdoch.

The mainstream media has been doing little more than cutting and pasting press releases for at least a couple of decades,lazy sods. However that's why the tiny number of actual "journalists" are so valuable. FWIW I think being informed by News Ltd can be quite valuable, it's frequently very informative to know what we are supposed to think.

Or to put it another way . . .

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers: the Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country; and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

liz
15th November 2013, 11:11 AM
Or to put it another way . . .

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers: the Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Times is read by people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country; and The Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Aah, they don't make comedy any more like they used to.

Ruck'n'Roll
15th November 2013, 11:34 AM
It was a comedy?

CJK
15th November 2013, 11:38 AM

Sure don't, they make it better (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0459159/)

Bloodthirsty
15th November 2013, 11:57 AM
The mainstream media has been doing little more than cutting and pasting press releases for at least a couple of decades,lazy sods. However that's why the tiny number of actual "journalists" are so valuable. FWIW I think being informed by News Ltd can be quite valuable, it's frequently very informative to know what we are supposed to think.

That's is exactly right. That's why I glance at the paper every now an again when getting a bite to eat. 1. To see if the Swans get a mention and 2. to see what I am supposed to believe today.

Unless you're an alternative media journalist, you will print what you're told to print by the corporate media, otherwise you will be forced out. How do you control the world? 1. Control the money 2. Control the media 3. Control the military (also 4. Control the education industry 5. Control the medical industry 6. Control food 7. Control energy 8. Control the internet (on it's way) etc etc). Done. You could just stop at point 1 though.

There is therefore no such thing as a credible mainstream journalist. They are not permitted to write anything they want in the name of truth. They must push an agenda or they are gone.

I love sport and love the Swannies, but I recognise that sport is a big part of the many media distraction techniques designed so that people don't pay attention to the real news.

ernie koala
15th November 2013, 12:14 PM
Excellent posts both of you.

And may I remind a few of those who remember, and well before we all had home computers etc by which to vent. HOW many members handed in their memberships when Plugger was recruited to the Swans. Hmm?? Go on, how many of you. The protests, the fury, even Kenny went "off"......
And look how badly that turned out.....

Wait and see people, wait and see......

I think most of the angst towards Plugger being signed up, was more to do with his hit on Peter Craven(and what followed), than whether or not he would win us games.

Personally, I went from supporter to Member when Plugger signed on.

As for Buddy, my (and many others) only reservation has to do with years 6 - 9 of his contract, when his on field contribution may well be nil...But his salary eats into our cap.

So I suppose the debate is more about whether the , hopefully, short term gains outweigh the long term pain.....2 flags and I say it definitely does, 1 flag -50/50, no flags- it's a dud deal......Time will tell

The Big Cat
15th November 2013, 01:31 PM
I think that people get hung up about the nine years. I don't think the Swans expect him to play after six or seven years but just stretched out the contract to give them a strategic advantage over other clubs in their pursuit of Franklin. I think they have budgeted to pay him $10m for 6 years and anything else is a bonus.

Jewels
15th November 2013, 01:34 PM
I think that people get hung up about the nine years. I don't think the Swans expect him to play after six or seven years but just stretched out the contract to give them a strategic advantage over other clubs in their pursuit of Franklin. I think they have budgeted to pay him $10m for 6 years and anything else is a bonus.

My thoughts also

Ruck'n'Roll
15th November 2013, 01:57 PM
Sure don't, they make it better (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0459159/)
Humour is such a subjective thing

Ludwig
15th November 2013, 03:01 PM

6 years takes us through the 2019 season. I think there's less than a 50-50 chance that there will even be a 2020 season. So it's a pretty good deal.

Well, you may ask what I mean by not having a 2020 season.

This planet is unravelling right before our very eyes. Our plutocracy is in the mode of stealing everything they can lay their hands on. First from the impoverished, then from the working class and finally from each other in a winner take all feeding frenzy. We are really in the red-zone as far the world goes. Notice how climate change was such a big issue at the turn of the century. Now it's hardly talked about. The conferences still go on. Impassioned speeches are made. But politically it's a non-issue. It's all about jobs, jobs, jobs. (Whenever you see the word 'job', just substitute the word 'profit' and the sentence will make much more sense).

The corporate media are there to make us believe that something else is going on, and there's nothing to worry about; everything is on track. Even those that pose as the non-corporate media are part of the game. It's hard to figure out what's really going on with Alex Jones, because he gets a lot of it right, but he is very competitive with those who are supposedly taking similar positions to himself. Notice how much self promotion goes down on his show. He's spent a good many shows undermining Wikileaks, although he was forced to cut them in on the posted show, as they broke the story he was supporting.

As for the Huffington Post, they are very much a part of the corporate media. They were purchased by AOL in 2011 and refuse to take on any truly controversial issues, just ones ostensibly pitting Republicans against Democrats. The point is to make us believe that the solutions lie within the political system and not outside of it. Our own political class will set the Anglo working majority against 'Boat People', Muslims, indigenous Australians and anyone else that doesn't fit the stereotype of a "true" Australian, in order to deflect attention away from themselves and their masters.

Even the much acclaimed 'Democracy Now!' from America, which I quite enjoy, have some untouchable issues that are too politically hot to handle, although I must say that Amy Goodman and crew do quite a good job under the circumstances. Our own self-acclaimed spokesperson for the Left, Phillip Adams, is just another of the establishment stooges selling the mainstream story line. His adoration of books and hatred of sport is a pretentiousness that substitutes for intellect.

And of course our beloved footy is a big part of the distraction to keep our minds off the important stuff that actually may effect how we live. Thankfully, football is so entertaining I don't care. It's arguably one of the safest drugs around, although most of us have been close to heart attacks at times.

I know what's going down, but there's nothing I can do about it. The power imbalance between the super-rich and the rest of us is so enormous that it's hopeless to resist. The best you can do is be as well-informed as possible. As has been pointed out in previous posts, this is not so easy to do. In a sense, even I have become a tool of the plutocracy by espousing the futility of resisting.

My recommendation for the best of the online news aggregaters is Global Research, although there is a strange anti climate change bias to the site. http://www.globalresearch.ca/

It really takes a big effort sorting out the truth from all the propaganda, and most of us don't have of the time required to take it on. So it's best to just enjoy the footy while the world is still up and running, because it may not be long before it's gone along with everything else.

So back to the Buddy story: I think it was a brilliant end game strategy by Colless and Ireland signing Buddy for 9 years realising that the last few years probably wouldn't matter. It's all about winning premierships now.

jono2707
15th November 2013, 03:09 PM
If the world does end in 2020, holding the title of Reigning Premiers for eternity will make the 2019 Cup much sought after....

Xie Shan
15th November 2013, 04:29 PM
And of course our beloved footy is a big part of the distraction to keep our minds off the important stuff that actually may effect how we live. Thankfully, football is so entertaining I don't care. It's arguably one of the safest drugs around, although most of us have been close to heart attacks at times.

I have no idea how to even begin to respond to the rest of your post, but this reminds me of an old Yiddish saying I heard once: "If I am going to be forced to eat pork, it better be of the best kind". Like you said, at least the footy is entertaining (and harmless).

Dosser
15th November 2013, 05:02 PM
And of course our beloved footy is a big part of the distraction to keep our minds off the important stuff that actually may effect how we live.

If only the Romans had thought of this.

ernie koala
15th November 2013, 10:47 PM
If only the Romans had thought of this.

Or the Greeks

dimelb
16th November 2013, 12:09 PM
I'm surprised that no-one has a kind word to say for Fairfax. They aren't perfect - no organisation is - but in Australia I suspect they're our best shot in the mainstream. Two issues out of many possibles: Would VW have considered a large scale recall without the media fuss? And where would we be in regard to the Obeids without Kate McClymont and the SMH sticking to their guns, despite being sued and losing damages? I think they've earned a measure of respect.
On the Buddy stuff, I've had my say. I'm (nervously) with the club.

Swansongster
16th November 2013, 01:19 PM

Inspired by Yes Minister/Prime Minister, almost as good and providing a local perspective is the shows by Working Dog - "Frontline" and "Hollowmen". Both are brilliant too.

Bloodthirsty
16th November 2013, 02:39 PM
6 years takes us through the 2019 season. I think there's less than a 50-50 chance that there will even be a 2020 season. So it's a pretty good deal.

Well, you may ask what I mean by not having a 2020 season.

This planet is unravelling right before our very eyes. Our plutocracy is in the mode of stealing everything they can lay their hands on. First from the impoverished, then from the working class and finally from each other in a winner take all feeding frenzy. We are really in the red-zone as far the world goes. Notice how climate change was such a big issue at the turn of the century. Now it's hardly talked about. The conferences still go on. Impassioned speeches are made. But politically it's a non-issue. It's all about jobs, jobs, jobs. (Whenever you see the word 'job', just substitute the word 'profit' and the sentence will make much more sense).

The corporate media are there to make us believe that something else is going on, and there's nothing to worry about; everything is on track. Even those that pose as the non-corporate media are part of the game. It's hard to figure out what's really going on with Alex Jones, because he gets a lot of it right, but he is very competitive with those who are supposedly taking similar positions to himself. Notice how much self promotion goes down on his show. He's spent a good many shows undermining Wikileaks, although he was forced to cut them in on the posted show, as they broke the story he was supporting.

As for the Huffington Post, they are very much a part of the corporate media. They were purchased by AOL in 2011 and refuse to take on any truly controversial issues, just ones ostensibly pitting Republicans against Democrats. The point is to make us believe that the solutions lie within the political system and not outside of it. Our own political class will set the Anglo working majority against 'Boat People', Muslims, indigenous Australians and anyone else that doesn't fit the stereotype of a "true" Australian, in order to deflect attention away from themselves and their masters.

Even the much acclaimed 'Democracy Now!' from America, which I quite enjoy, have some untouchable issues that are too politically hot to handle, although I must say that Amy Goodman and crew do quite a good job under the circumstances. Our own self-acclaimed spokesperson for the Left, Phillip Adams, is just another of the establishment stooges selling the mainstream story line. His adoration of books and hatred of sport is a pretentiousness that substitutes for intellect.

I know what's going down, but there's nothing I can do about it. The power imbalance between the super-rich and the rest of us is so enormous that it's hopeless to resist. The best you can do is be as well-informed as possible. As has been pointed out in previous posts, this is not so easy to do. In a sense, even I have become a tool of the plutocracy by espousing the futility of resisting.

My recommendation for the best of the online news aggregaters is Global Research, although there is a strange anti climate change bias to the site. http://www.globalresearch.ca/

It really takes a big effort sorting out the truth from all the propaganda, and most of us don't have of the time required to take it on. So it's best to just enjoy the footy while the world is still up and running, because it may not be long before it's gone along with everything else.

So back to the Buddy story: I think it was a brilliant end game strategy by Colless and Ireland signing Buddy for 9 years realising that the last few years probably wouldn't matter. It's all about winning premierships now.

Interesting views, I agree with most. Alex Jones has to fund his show somehow, so is of course going to run it like a business - one that is in line with what he stands for. Not sure what you're you're saying about climate change. The climate has fluctuated for thousands of years - it's normal. They stopped using the term 'global warming' because that was clearly BS and the earth is now cooler, so they use a different vague term now (like 'terrorist'), the sole purpose of which is to hit the people with more fraudulent taxes (carbon tax). Meanwhile the many, many REAL environmental issues are ignored and continue to poison the planet.

R-1
16th November 2013, 02:56 PM
What the hell just happened to this thread.

Melbourne_Blood
16th November 2013, 03:01 PM
From horrible puns derailing threads to critical discussions of media. I don't know which is worse

Jewels
16th November 2013, 03:05 PM
Bloody off-season......

Primmy
16th November 2013, 03:43 PM
Bloody off-season......I'm hearing you J

aardvark
16th November 2013, 05:41 PM
Bloody off-season......

Doesn't training start soon? Anyone going to see Buddy run around with the young uns?

Primmy
16th November 2013, 11:33 PM
Would love to but I think nowadays that constitutes perving for me. Don't want to be arrested.

annew
17th November 2013, 03:46 PM
I am so desperate I am watching 2012 grand final and I cannot wait to see a fit Buddy, Tippett, Rohan, Jetta, Goodes, Jack etc running around, bring on 2014 I am very excited