PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Day1

aardvark
18th November 2013, 01:41 PM
SwansTV: Pre-season Day 1 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2013-11-18/swanstv-preseason-day-1)

Hmmm, anyone see Buddy?

GongSwan
18th November 2013, 01:47 PM
I doubt Buddy was required for today

aardvark
18th November 2013, 01:52 PM
LANCE Franklin will start pre-season training with the Sydney Swans two weeks ahead of schedule to establish himself with the club's young players.

The superstar forward, who was put on notice by new teammate Adam Goodes this week, will train briefly with the Swans' first to fourth-year players before taking a short break and returning with the senior group on December 2.

?????
Probably wasn't keen on the 3k time trial.:wink:

Pics are up...
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2013-11-18/preseason-day-1-gallery

Triple B
18th November 2013, 03:04 PM
I wonder what their definition of a fourth year player is? I'd have thought Jets, Gazza and Sam were 5th year players??

DeadlyAkkuret
18th November 2013, 03:18 PM
LANCE Franklin will start pre-season training with the Sydney Swans two weeks ahead of schedule to establish himself with the club's young players.

The superstar forward, who was put on notice by new teammate Adam Goodes this week, will train briefly with the Swans' first to fourth-year players before taking a short break and returning with the senior group on December 2.

?????

Pics are up...
Pre-Season Day 1: Gallery - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2013-11-18/preseason-day-1-gallery)

Where's Franklin?

MadCanuck
18th November 2013, 03:21 PM

Pics are up...
Pre-Season Day 1: Gallery - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2013-11-18/preseason-day-1-gallery)

Where did Cheese Barlow finish?

ScottH
18th November 2013, 03:40 PM
I wonder what their definition of a fourth year player is? I'd have thought Jets, Gazza and Sam were 5th year players??

Probably due to their lack of game time this year.
Still a bit of catching up to do.

Good to see Tommy Walsh out on the track too.

satchmopugdog
18th November 2013, 03:48 PM
Where did Cheese Barlow finish?
Funniest thing I've read all day. Absolute track champion

Bloodthirsty
18th November 2013, 08:03 PM
I guess the Franklin article should have specified that he may hang around for a light kick-to-kick session and then maybe some autographs afterwards, rather than actual training and conditioning. If I was Buddy I would have run the trial, silence the critics. I am not a critic, just someone who thinks he needs to show some substance at some point soon for everyone to be A-OK cool with everything.

Auntie.Gerald
18th November 2013, 08:13 PM
none of us know for sure if buddy was there or not ie there was a fair few players not running but watching on todau

i disagree

his football for 9 years has demonstrated a forward with substantial substance

liz
18th November 2013, 08:40 PM
Impressive performance from young Perris to push Rampe all the way. As the youngest player out there (I assume no senior Academy players), it shows how hard he must have worked last year to regain his fitness after missing 2012 with a knee reco.

I predict he'll star in the NEAFL this year and make it impossible not to get picked to play senior footy as soon as someone gets injured. Indeed, with Tom Mitchell facing a restricted pre-season as he recovers from his ankle injury, there may even be a spot early in the year, and I can see Perris playing a similar role to that which Tom filled in his 2013 senior appearances (even though long term, they'll probably turn out to be slightly different kinds of player).

DeadlyAkkuret
19th November 2013, 03:39 AM
I guess the Franklin article should have specified that he may hang around for a light kick-to-kick session and then maybe some autographs afterwards, rather than actual training and conditioning. If I was Buddy I would have run the trial, silence the critics. I am not a critic, just someone who thinks he needs to show some substance at some point soon for everyone to be A-OK cool with everything.

Technically Franklin shouldn't be training until the senior guys start training. No need to make a big deal out of this.

Captain
19th November 2013, 08:10 AM
Anyone have the order of results of the time trial? Wonder who came back in ordinary shape?

ernie koala
19th November 2013, 08:25 AM
Technically Franklin shouldn't be training until the senior guys start training. No need to make a big deal out of this.

But it was Buddy, via his manager, who made the call that he'd be there 2 weeks early.....If he was, I'm sure there would of been some coverage of 'Buddies first day'...

So my assumption is he hasn't followed through as promised. We'll wait and see if he shows at all this week...Before his 'little break' before he is actually due for training.

Or maybe he didn't want Goodesy seeing him out of shape, so he's training the house down, privately, before showing up.....Somehow I doubt it.

swansrob
19th November 2013, 08:33 AM

Technically, he actually has an extra week off after our senior guys because he played in the GF. He's not actually required back until Dec 9

wolftone57
19th November 2013, 09:39 AM

By some of his pics on fronting for preseason training at the Hawks he probably can't drag himself past the gym door. I have a feeling he is pretty fond of the odd choccy eclair or mud cake in the off season. If you see a bloke that looks a little like Jabba The Hutt anywhere around the club, look in the cafeteria, you might just have found him. The other possibility is he might have got lost coming to training, after all it is difficult to see when you have just left a Day Club in Bondi and are still wearing super sunnies.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have the order of results of the time trial? Wonder who came back in ordinary shape?

Dane Rampe 1, Dean Towers, Harry Cunningham, jordan Lockyer and Swampy.

Triple B
19th November 2013, 09:54 AM
Dane Rampe 1, Dean Towers, Harry Cunningham, jordan Lockyer and Swampy.

Perris was second.

ugg
19th November 2013, 10:14 AM
Also in the short video of the finish looked like Dan Robinson just ahead of Marsh.

wolftone57
19th November 2013, 10:30 AM
Also in the short video of the finish looked like Dan Robinson just ahead of Marsh.

I was quite impressed with Dan last year what do you think Ugg?

CJK
20th November 2013, 09:54 AM
Lance decided to turn up today

Twitter / sydneyswans: A couple of the new boys ... (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/402930899601223680)

aardvark
20th November 2013, 11:13 AM
By some of his pics on fronting for preseason training at the Hawks he probably can't drag himself past the gym door. I have a feeling he is pretty fond of the odd choccy eclair or mud cake in the off season. If you see a bloke that looks a little like Jabba The Hutt anywhere around the club, look in the cafeteria, you might just have found him. The other possibility is he might have got lost coming to training, after all it is difficult to see when you have just left a Day Club in Bondi and are still wearing super sunnies.

Looks pretty fit here wolfie. Not an ounce of fat to be seen!

DeadlyAkkuret
20th November 2013, 12:37 PM
But it was Buddy, via his manager, who made the call that he'd be there 2 weeks early.....If he was, I'm sure there would of been some coverage of 'Buddies first day'...

So my assumption is he hasn't followed through as promised. We'll wait and see if he shows at all this week...Before his 'little break' before he is actually due for training.

Or maybe he didn't want Goodesy seeing him out of shape, so he's training the house down, privately, before showing up.....Somehow I doubt it.

How awkward.

DeadlyAkkuret
20th November 2013, 12:38 PM

Looks pretty fit here wolfie. Not an ounce of fat to be seen!

But I thought he was a big fat whale like his dad? How can an elite 26yr old athlete turn up to training in shape?!

magic.merkin
20th November 2013, 01:23 PM
So the sky isn't falling?

Go Swannies
20th November 2013, 01:37 PM

There's always a dark side - it looks like Gary Rohan has shrunk.

CJK
20th November 2013, 01:37 PM

Lance looking down at another player. How disgusting. Not true Bloods spirit.

ScottH
20th November 2013, 01:39 PM

Only in SE Qld.

I think Buddy is under some pressure from his peers to make a good showing.

Primmy
20th November 2013, 02:09 PM
Picture 8 - the enormous bloke - is that the American?? Towering over Gaz

BJ looks like he has been working on those upper arms......hmmmmmmm......

And one other thing. Buddy Franklin used to play for Hawthorne. Not anymore. He is currently a paid up member of the Sydney Swans Football Club. He plays for the Swans now. I don't understand the slagging off.

He doesn't have to be on deck yet, that is an understood situation by most footballing fans. If he wants to get in amongst the boys early well and good. However it could be that the coaching staff don't want him to do the type of training some of you appear to thing he should be doing right this very instant. After all he has come off a GF campaign. So its all about training management timing which most of us have NO idea about.

The end.

ScottH
20th November 2013, 02:14 PM

Yep.
Swans sign 201cm American rookie - AFL.com.au (www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-04/swans-sign-201cm-american-rookie)

aardvark
20th November 2013, 02:51 PM
Buddy surprises teammates at training - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-11-20/buddy-surprises-teammates)

R-1
20th November 2013, 02:55 PM
Jetta hinting at forward structures in that article too.

"As you've seen in previous years, Buddy gets up high up the ground and we know we've got more targets up forward," he said.

"I think him and Reidy will be pushing up high and turning the opposition around and we've still got Tippo and Goodesy down forward.

"It's just another big target. If I get into trouble I'm just going to kick it up high, because we've got a seven-foot forward line."

aardvark
20th November 2013, 02:57 PM
Buddy settling in at Bondi....

magic.merkin
20th November 2013, 02:59 PM
Geez Buddy's tall next to that ruckman
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/budynderickx.jpg

aardvark
20th November 2013, 03:05 PM
Enjoying the Sydney night life.....

DeadlyAkkuret
20th November 2013, 03:57 PM

And one other thing. Buddy Franklin used to play for Hawthorne. Not anymore. He is currently a paid up member of the Sydney Swans Football Club. He plays for the Swans now. I don't understand the slagging off.

He doesn't have to be on deck yet, that is an understood situation by most footballing fans. If he wants to get in amongst the boys early well and good. However it could be that the coaching staff don't want him to do the type of training some of you appear to thing he should be doing right this very instant. After all he has come off a GF campaign. So its all about training management timing which most of us have NO idea about.

The end.

Agree Primmy. We sign the highest profile player in the game, and you'd think we just signed Fev.

Franklin is a star and he wants to play for the Swans. I thought that was a good thing.

aardvark
20th November 2013, 03:59 PM

The end.

Sorry mum :frown

Auntie.Gerald
20th November 2013, 04:06 PM
it is amazing

a swans supporter mate of mine has gone seriously cold on the buddy deal

he thinks we are massively to heavy on the cap with two players and that a few injuries and or buddy plays up and the swans will not make the 8

he is taking as many bets as he can on the swans not making the 8 !!

extra----ordinary !!!!

spiffy-dude
20th November 2013, 04:27 PM
Agree Primmy. We sign the highest profile player in the game, and you'd think we just signed Fev.

Franklin is a star and he wants to play for the Swans. I thought that was a good thing.

I agree 100%.

In fact Buddy turning up today when he didnt have to just shows he is an ultimate professional. I honestly think he is a charming guy BUT when around other alpha males he can become douchey BUT in reality he is nothing more than just a product of this selfie generation, which seems to be just about every male his age.

I am just annoyed at how our fans are worried about him. I mean this is a big signing..we have two massive players in our forward line playign with us, on top of the plethora of mids that we used as our goal kickers in our flag year plus a pretty healthy backline..we should be bloody excited!

Instead fans are worried that this bloods culture, which is really annoying me atm, which funny enough has been blown out of proportion by the melbourne media, is going to be destroyed. Well it won't and i am confident in that.

I just have that feeling Lance has so much respect and love for the club that he won't go out of his way to destroy it. I mean HE CAME TO US!!!

magic.merkin
20th November 2013, 04:47 PM
Goodes
Franklin
Tippet
Reid
Rohan
Jetta

repeat it until you go insane.

The potential excitement that this group can generate is going to be insane. Serious we should be delirious. Add to that arguably the best midfield in the comp, and when fit a defence that also is a #1 contender.... It's go time baby!

DLBIA14
20th November 2013, 05:06 PM
We're buying into the doubts of opposition supporters as if they didn't have their own desire to see us spectacularly fail. Let's just believe in our club which has continued to prove that its judgment is sound for the past 20 years.

We won premierships going against the pack and while being aggressive isn't without its risks it is better than being content with mediocrity.

spiffy-dude
20th November 2013, 05:58 PM
We're buying into the doubts of opposition supporters as if they didn't have their own desire to see us spectacularly fail. Let's just believe in our club which has continued to prove that its judgment is sound for the past 20 years.

We won premierships going against the pack and while being aggressive isn't without its risks it is better than being content with mediocrity.

I agree 100%. I think a lot of fans not being used to feeling the intense hatred of other club supporters are letting it get to them. I know being a hated club is new but we have to start hardening up becasue its not going to get any better. And if we win say a few flags between now and buddy retiring expect to be even more hated.

The days of being everyones second club and for neutrals loving us is over. The club made a conscious decision to move away from that and actually start being a top 2 club so we fans should trust them on it. The people in charge and running the show want the swans to be the most successful club in the next decade as much as us fans, so lets enjoy it shall we!

Anyway so good too see AJ out there today!

- - - Updated - - -

Goodes
Franklin
Tippet
Reid
Rohan
Jetta

repeat it until you go insane.

The potential excitement that this group can generate is going to be insane. Serious we should be delirious. Add to that arguably the best midfield in the comp, and when fit a defence that also is a #1 contender.... It's go time baby!

And this is why we are currently hated, fear is strong. If i was an opposition fan i would hate the fact that the swans have so many good players but it would be from both jelousy and fear.

Look at those players..i think i need a fainting couch...swoon.

Triple B
20th November 2013, 07:01 PM
Couldn't agree more with the last half dozen or so posts...

Primmy
20th November 2013, 08:02 PM
Sorry mum :frownOK then.

TheMase
20th November 2013, 10:51 PM

Pretty sure he is in picture 4 too. Going to have to fix his hand position catching the footy!

liz
20th November 2013, 10:54 PM
While we're on the question and answer session...

Picture 24 - had Membrey been rolling around in the mud, or have his tattoos expanded somewhat in the offseason (lower arm, leg)?

Ludwig
20th November 2013, 11:35 PM
While we're on the question and answer session...

Picture 24 - had Membrey been rolling around in the mud, or have his tattoos expanded somewhat in the offseason (lower arm, leg)?

It's the Buddy Effect.

caj23
21st November 2013, 08:16 AM
it is amazing

he thinks we are massively to heavy on the cap with two players and that a few injuries and or buddy plays up and the swans will not make the 8

extra----ordinary !!!!

A fool and his money are easily parted, can you pass his details on to those of us on RWO so we can get in on this free money

mcs
21st November 2013, 11:24 AM
it is amazing

extra----ordinary !!!!

I'll offer him 50/1 for us not making the 8 for as much as he wants to put on :rofl:

baskin
21st November 2013, 03:18 PM
Pretty sure he is in picture 4 too. Going to have to fix his hand position catching the footy!

In football, players mark the ball, they don't catch it. I know, I know, I am being an old grump. I'm just glad Roosy won't be commentating any more as he started using the term catch and other commentators seemed to use it as well. It's football folks, not basketball.

Grump over!!

magic.merkin
21st November 2013, 04:26 PM
I hears ya, same as "first grade"...

Bloods05
21st November 2013, 04:38 PM
I hears ya, same as "first grade"...

Or worse still, "Souths".

jono2707
21st November 2013, 05:10 PM
Or worse still, "Souths".

Or worse still "rugby".

spiffy-dude
21st November 2013, 06:24 PM
Rugby is the one that infuriates me. They know its called Rugby League but because most mel*censored*nuses they still call it rugby in an arrogant matter of fact way. You correct them and they still do it. It's there pathetic way to be little a sport.

But i laugh when i call rules "AFL" and they get really mad, even madder when i point out their hypocrisy.

TheMase
24th November 2013, 10:59 AM
In football, players mark the ball, they don't catch it. I know, I know, I am being an old grump. I'm just glad Roosy won't be commentating any more as he started using the term catch and other commentators seemed to use it as well. It's football folks, not basketball.

Grump over!!

Umm wrong. Been following footy my whole life thanks. A mark is when the ball travels the required distance after someone had kicked it and the person marks the ball by being the only one to catch it. Since they were hand balling, catching is the right assessment.

Dosser
24th November 2013, 03:13 PM
Umm wrong. Been following footy my whole life thanks. A mark is when the ball travels the required distance after someone had kicked it and the person marks the ball by being the only one to catch it. Since they were hand balling, catching is the right assessment.

ooooh - methinks you are right! That will upset some people. :)

aardvark
25th November 2013, 01:57 PM
Newbies hit the track...

A couple of large units there!

liz
25th November 2013, 02:19 PM
The second pair, yes. Jones and Hewitt look about 14 years old!!!

ScottH
25th November 2013, 02:38 PM
The second pair, yes. Jones and Hewitt look about 14 years old!!!

they get younger each year liz.

Ludwig
25th November 2013, 02:43 PM
Newbies hit the track...

942[/ATTACH]

Can someone clarify for me: Are they 'marking' or 'catching' the ball? :hmmmm2:

magic.merkin
25th November 2013, 02:51 PM
Can someone clarify for me: Are they 'marking' or 'catching' the ball? :hmmmm2:
It's called "levitating" :redface:

- - - Updated - - -

Newbies hit the track...

Nice, anymore?

I hope the swans get some vids up.

come on it's christmas day!

Ludwig
25th November 2013, 02:53 PM
This comes from Emma Quayle's top 25:

ZAK JONES (Dand. Stingrays, 183cm, 76kg)

GEORGE HEWETT (North Adelaide, 185cm, 74kg)

The visual perception from the photo is that Hewett is a good deal bigger than Jones in both height and weight. Given his age, I think George will end up close to JPK size.

Auntie.Gerald
25th November 2013, 03:12 PM
cant wait to watch the ressie lads this year

a few there there will be truly pushing the first 22 all the way to selection night each week !

Auntie.Gerald
25th November 2013, 03:20 PM
afl.com.au

GH =
Position:
Midfielder
Height:
185cm
Weight:
79kg
Born:
29/12/95
Home club:
North Adela

ZJ =
Position:
Medium defender
Height:
181cm
Weight:
76kg
Born:
15/3/95
Home club:
Dandenong Stingr

- - - Updated - - -

JPK is something like 96kg

my guess is Georgie Boy will end up more like 83 to 87kg max !

Luke Parker "Manchild" is 183cm and built like a small truck and only 86kg

magic.merkin
25th November 2013, 03:38 PM
Nice, anymore?

I hope the swans get some vids up.

come on it's christmas day!

I saw on my phone there are more pics on facebook. I can't access at work.

Ludwig
25th November 2013, 04:09 PM
- - - Updated - - -

JPK is something like 96kg

my guess is Georgie Boy will end up more like 83 to 87kg max !

Luke Parker "Manchild" is 183cm and built like a small truck and only 86kg

JPK is 188cm and 96 kgs. Not many of that height can carry 96 kilos. But I do think George will be something like 188 cm and around 90 kgs. Remember, he's not even 18 yet. I don't know when they take the official measurements for the website, but it will be interesting to see what both Zak and George come in at.

Ludwig
25th November 2013, 06:52 PM
JPK is 188cm and 96 kgs. Not many of that height can carry 96 kilos. But I do think George will be something like 188 cm and around 90 kgs. Remember, he's not even 18 yet. I don't know when they take the official measurements for the website, but it will be interesting to see what both Zak and George come in at.

Following up on this post, look how much taller and larger frame George has compared to Zak, and George is almost a year younger. This is just off the Swans' website:

I think George is going to be the big bodied midfielder some think we need to compete with the likes of Freo. I wasn't too concerned, but this ends the debate IMO.

wolftone57
26th November 2013, 01:52 PM

A person might 'catch' a H/B as you say and rightly so as a mark is only on a kick. But normally I would say he/she took the H/B or call it a take not a catch.

swansrob
26th November 2013, 03:06 PM
A person might 'catch' a H/B as you say and rightly so as a mark is only on a kick. But normally I would say he/she took the H/B or call it a take not a catch.

In the run of play you might 'take' the handball, but in a drill like that, I think 'catch' is more appropriate.

magic.merkin
27th November 2013, 08:57 AM
why oh why won't the site give us a vid? I just want to see them move in HD (well better than the grainy low res youtube vids). And a 30 sec interview with the new kids. I know two of them did a mini text interview. I just want to see how they carry themselves etc. Nackers seemed pretty good in his pre draft interview/highlights tape.