PDA

View Full Version : pre season updates

Auntie.Gerald
29th November 2013, 08:44 PM
is anyone else having trouble with video quality for this footage ?

SwansTV: Uphill pre-season challenge - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2013-11-29/swanstv-uphill-preseason-challenge)

undy
29th November 2013, 09:36 PM
Me too, I suspect its just not that good.
But not as bad as the sports-bra look.

wolftone57
30th November 2013, 10:49 AM
Yes the quality was hideous, probably recorded on an IPhone or similar.

Legs Akimbo
30th November 2013, 06:43 PM

Who is Player X in the middle? Been hitting the weights?

swans
30th November 2013, 07:37 PM

xavier richards

Triple B
30th November 2013, 08:05 PM

xavier richards

Straight thru slips...

Auntie.Gerald
2nd December 2013, 07:40 PM
Franklin Richards? friend not foe - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-12-02/franklin-richards-friend-not-foe)

so in the 3km run today we had our lads finish in the following order

1. Hannes
2. Birdy?
3. Perris
4. McGlynn
5. Rampe
6. KJ

McVeigh and AJ didnt compete - nor did Parker or Kennedy ??

I must say a fantastic effort by Birdy and he looks super fit already !!!

I have never seen Birdy up the front in the 3km runs ever (and I know a couple season were due to foot fractures etc)

Also super effort by Perris to fight to the line with Mcglynn and pip him by a nose !!.......very competitive kid !

liz
2nd December 2013, 08:51 PM
The official website of the Australian Football League - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/)

Is it just me, or does Hanners look like he's completely starkers in this picture?!! (Scroll to the picture showing him next to Buddy in the main window).

Auntie.Gerald
2nd December 2013, 09:08 PM
yes ..........he is :)

well spotted liz !

neilfws
2nd December 2013, 10:10 PM
Is it just me, or does Hanners look like he's completely starkers in this picture?!! (Scroll to the picture showing him next to Buddy in the main window).

Just you liz, wishful thinking ;)

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/franklin-hannebery-131202.jpg

aardvark
2nd December 2013, 10:23 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/franklin-hannebery-131202.jpg

Is buddy introducing alco pops to his new team mates?

ugg
2nd December 2013, 11:55 PM

I can see tomorrow's DT headline - Bankrupt Swans can't afford Gatoradem resort to feeding players Zooper Doopers.

Auntie.Gerald
4th December 2013, 03:28 PM
High hopes for Harrison - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-12-03/high-hopes-for-harrison)

great to hear about the progress so far of Swampy !

Harrison has certainly characteristics of a young Mattner as a HBF and a young Kennedy for midfield

it sounds like the Swans have thrown down the challenge to be a midfielder and so far at the same age he is certainly a much more accomplished player in the skill department then Kennedy

at 189cm and 84kg and only 19yrs of age he will certainly end up closer to that 90kg in a couple of years......... and with Marsh winning the repeat sprints at the AFL draft 2012 and such an awesome kick and mark on him it will be fascinating to watch him progress

Auntie.Gerald
5th December 2013, 01:30 PM
Jack a role model for Perris - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-12-05/jack-a-role-model-for-perris)

Perris interview

Rampe and KJ setting the bench mark at training for Perris to compete with

aardvark
6th December 2013, 11:56 AM
Well who'd have thought we'd ever see this?

ScottH
6th December 2013, 12:01 PM

Buddy handballing?

undy
6th December 2013, 12:05 PM

Blue Buddyboots

Jewels
6th December 2013, 12:48 PM

That is one amazing forward line, a million miles from the dysfunctional mess of a few years ago.

ugg
6th December 2013, 01:13 PM
That is one amazing forward line, a million miles from the dysfunctional mess of a few years ago.

The one we won the flag with?

Auntie.Gerald
6th December 2013, 03:18 PM
wow

a stack of injuries that were cleaned up and or mended

sounds they found more complication in Pykes knee then expected??

aj
shaw
Mitchell
Pyke
Tommy
goodes
LRT
Tip
etc

Jewels
6th December 2013, 03:48 PM
The one we won the flag with?
I said a few not a couple

MightyBloods
6th December 2013, 07:30 PM

the pic will look even better with Ben Reid training with them next year! lol

Auntie.Gerald
6th December 2013, 08:03 PM
and Pat Dangerfield :)

ShockOfHair
7th December 2013, 12:36 AM
wow

a stack of injuries that were cleaned up and or mended

sounds they found more complication in Pykes knee then expected??

That certainly gave me pause. I didn't know our sole A-grade ruckman had a knee problem.
Good to hear the others are all making progress. Sounds like AJ, SHaw and Walsh are the only ones who won't be ready by round 1.

Dosser
7th December 2013, 09:46 AM
"...Kurt Tippett, who also suffered a season-ending injury in the Swans? semi final, has resumed running after overcoming a lower leg injury.

?He hurt his knee-ankle area in the semi and he?s recovered from that injury, which took a few weeks during the off-season,? Cameron said..."

I think it's called a "leg".

Ludwig
7th December 2013, 01:05 PM
There was no mention about Gary Rohan getting the pin removed from his leg. I thought that was scheduled to be done this month.

Auntie.Gerald
7th December 2013, 04:34 PM
hhhhmmm

never heard of a knee-ankle area ?

wolftone57
9th December 2013, 02:58 PM
If they had to they would rebuild Pykie as a cyberman just to get him out on the park for round one.

Jeffers1984
9th December 2013, 04:53 PM
managed to stop by Moore Park and check out some training and took some photos.

Swans training 9/12/13 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157638500716884/)

ShockOfHair
9th December 2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks, Jeffers. Nice pix.

I like the one where Parker and KJ are staring daggers at each other.

Not even Buddy can make a sports bra look cool.

Untamed Snark
9th December 2013, 08:18 PM
If they had to they would rebuild Pykie as a cyberman just to get him out on the park for round one.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Auntie.Gerald
9th December 2013, 10:57 PM
the tan mark of the sports bra is going to be the funniest thing end of this pre season ~~~~

very wrong

Swansongster
10th December 2013, 03:30 PM

Swans training 9/12/13 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157638500716884/)

Great pics. I enjoyed that gallery. Thanks.

rojo
10th December 2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks from me too Jeffers. So good to see the players up and about. I have been a bit underwhelmed by the the Swans site this preseason. They don't seem to be doing much to create excitement about the coming season among we fans - very low key and pretty boring or am I expecting too much!!

Auntie.Gerald
10th December 2013, 05:44 PM
rojo plse send thru some ideas - the more creativity the better

rojo
10th December 2013, 06:59 PM
You are right A.G, those who complain should come up with some ideas! Somehow I get the Hawks Newsletter by email, I live in Launceston,
Tas. and they are very aggressive with their marketing. As I said, I have no idea how I got on their list! They letterbox in the area when they are having a special function here. At the moment they are pushing for memberships - a free Hawks calendar if you sign up before Monday 16th!!

But that is not what I am complaining about. The Hawks have photos from training almost every day and that is what I would really appreciate. How many photos of players at training have we had this pre-season? There are as many or more on twitter as on the actual web site, just little interest bits like the boys at cooking class for example. Jeffers shots are the most comprehensive we have seen so far. We have had a few player profiles but not many. We have had one comment by one coach about some of the guys who did well in the running. Even the reporting of the jumper presentations was low key - focussed on Buddy again. I think I am going to get tired of Buddy being the centre of the Swans universe.

I am sure there is plenty of 'buzz' among the players as they look ahead to next year but we need someone in the media dept. to find ways to channel it out. Didn't we see snippets of Jets being very creative when walking around with a camera last year?

stellation
10th December 2013, 07:05 PM
There was no mention about Gary Rohan getting the pin removed from his leg. I thought that was scheduled to be done this month.
I believe long legs like his are always going to be referred to as pins.

ScottH
10th December 2013, 07:15 PM

Don't let the Tippett fans know there are topless pics in that lot!!

Meg
10th December 2013, 09:51 PM
Don't let the Tippett fans know there are topless pics in that lot!!

Immediately brings up photos for a closer look ..........

Primmy
11th December 2013, 07:02 AM
:five:

right. That shot of Aliir Aliir marking above his head is a cracker

Nicely done Jeffers, thank you

Bloods05
11th December 2013, 08:06 AM
The shot of Rohan flying for the overhead mark is a classic, worthy of a professional sports photographer.

Jeffers1984
11th December 2013, 08:28 AM
Cheers guys!

DamY
11th December 2013, 09:02 AM
I am holed up in Melbourne for work ;(
I am so grateful for all the pics!! Thank you so so much

ScottH
11th December 2013, 09:17 AM
I am holed up in Melbourne for work ;(
I am so grateful for all the pics!! Thank you so so much

You say it like it's a bad thing!!

DamY
11th December 2013, 09:19 AM
Haha no I don't mean it that way! (Though the weather has a lot of explaining to do)

But during pre-season, I go for a run around Centennial Park and then stop by Lakeside to watch the boys train. Being here for work that luxury is no longer afforded to me :P

ScottH
11th December 2013, 09:45 AM
Haha no I don't mean it that way! (Though the weather has a lot of explaining to do)

But during pre-season, I go for a run around Centennial Park and then stop by Lakeside to watch the boys train. Being here for work that luxury is no longer afforded to me :P

The weather is "beautiful", what are you talking about?? ;)

mariachi
11th December 2013, 10:09 AM
"There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing" Billy Connolly (though he is a Scot and hence would have to be sanguine when it comes to weather)

Swansongster
11th December 2013, 10:20 AM
"There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad clothing" Billy Connolly (though he is a Scot and hence would have to be sanguine when it comes to weather)

I subscribe to this theory. Besides, it is politically incorrect to complain about rain these days (unless it is flooding).

aardvark
11th December 2013, 10:53 AM

Yep there's something for everyone. If you don't like it just wait an hour.

spiffy-dude
11th December 2013, 10:53 AM

I really tried that mantra when i lived there..nope nothing.

royboy42
11th December 2013, 11:13 AM
Can we drop all the sports bra talk? It's been a common training aid for a while now..for all clubs. It holds the GPS unit which measures the distances , heart rate etc and other valuable info..I believe they are worn by some players during matches,and is very obviously not a fashion item.

Dosser
11th December 2013, 02:02 PM
There is a sports bra?

DamY
12th December 2013, 12:23 AM
Isn't it called a bro?

Bloody Hell
12th December 2013, 03:52 AM
Isn't it called a bro?

The Manssiere?

DeadlyAkkuret
12th December 2013, 06:05 AM
Isn't it called a bro?

Too ethnic.

DamY
12th December 2013, 09:57 AM
The Manssiere?

Haha yes!!

dimelb
12th December 2013, 12:16 PM
Always had to chuckle when the olympics women's beach volleyball was on and the team from Brazil had "BRA" on their tops. Talk about the bleeding obvious ...

Auntie.Gerald
12th December 2013, 06:18 PM
listen to 2mins 48 seconds onwards !

SwansTV: Sprinting with Shirvo - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2013-12-12/swanstv-sprinting-with-shirvo)

pairing up with Dan Hannebery does sound like it would be the making of you as an elite football athlete or the death of you in pre season !

I was very impressed with how much emotion came thru when shirvo was asked about Dans form and attitude !

Could 2014 be the season that we see Dan truly finish off the season as one of the top 5 midfielders in the comp ?

:hmmm

ShockOfHair
12th December 2013, 08:58 PM
I'd like to see more Jetta v Shirvo.

Good advice from Shirvo: "Get your glutes on!"

Ludwig
12th December 2013, 09:56 PM
I'd like to see more Jetta v Shirvo.

Good advice from Shirvo: "Get your glutes on!"

I think Jetts could learn a bit from Shirvo. I always felt that Jetts doesn't take on defenders enough given his speed. He should be able to sidestep and run around defenders and blow them away, but often just stops and kicks. A running Jetta can make a big difference to the team.

YvonneH
13th December 2013, 08:20 AM
Who is the guy with the curly hair in picture 8 of pre season training 11th Dec? If Tony Armstrong was still with us I would have thought it was him. The answer will probably be very obvious once I know the answer and I will feel silly for not knowing.

southsideswan
13th December 2013, 08:32 AM
Same player in pic 8 as pic 11 .. and you see their face (sort of ..blurred).. and the answer is ..hmm no idea

TheGong
13th December 2013, 09:03 AM
I think he is Abe Davis, a swans academy player. Also think the blond haired guy also shown in a few shots with him is Isaac Heeney.

As both are turning 18 this year I would be expecting them to play a number of games at top-up players with the Swans reserves.

wolftone57
16th December 2013, 01:02 PM
The club does not post many pics of training. About one to two a month at this stage. I think the Hawks and other AFL websites have far more pics posted than our website. It is hard to gauge just how well our blokes are going unless you go personally to have a look at Lakeside. I might do that this week but I would like to know when they train. I have looked all over the website for this too and can't find it.

Matimbo
16th December 2013, 01:18 PM

right. That shot of Aliir Aliir marking above his head is a cracker

Nicely done Jeffers, thank you

Jeffers (and others who have been to pre-season trainings), interested in your opinion on Aliir Aliir on the training track?? The pic you took of him does look good. Great looking athlete. As a supposed project player, he could be anything. High hopes.

royboy42
16th December 2013, 08:24 PM
Jeffers (and others who have been to pre-season trainings), interested in your opinion on Aliir Aliir on the training track?? The pic you took of him does look good. Great looking athlete. As a supposed project player, he could be anything. High hopes.

Looks good but needs lots of time to develop a tank...LOTS

Jeffers1984
18th December 2013, 03:58 PM
OK had another day off where i ventured out to swans training and took some more shots. Took a lot more than last time as i stayed for a bit longer. More of a midfielders training session as the rucks were in their own group for a small period of time before leaving and the key forwards were nowhere to be seen. Some quick notes:

- Notable Absentees were Buddy, Aliir Aliir, Tippett
-Goodes, LRT did runs early then left.
- Membrey was in there and looks like a beast. His left side will be full of tattoos ala Dane Swan in a couple of years i reckon
- Brandon Jack has put on some muscle indeed. Guy has that wiry strong skinny muscly type build ala Paul Kelly
- Rohan had a few heart in mouth moments with his knee. 1 in a marking contest with Towers (shown in one of my pics his anguish) and 2 in a missed mark that made him land a bit awkwardly. He seemed to be ok though
- ROK participated in a few drills before coming to the trainers and seemed to be complaining about his quad. He left straight after.
- Reid, AJ, Shaw again running and no strapping. AJ has bulked a lot. Looks a bit heavy though.
- Zak Jones will be an absolute fan favourite. The guy just goes in hard and gives it his all. His recovery skills are amazing. Jumps straight back up when he goes to ground ready to give another effort.

Anyways here are my pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157638782596565/

Pmcc2911
18th December 2013, 04:58 PM
You are certainly right about BJ he has really muscled up.
Great shots

rojo
18th December 2013, 05:21 PM
You're a legend Jeffers. Thanks for your pics and observations. Birdy looks like he might 'fly' this year

royboy42
19th December 2013, 01:18 PM
For info..training tmw at 0830 Lakeside..looks as if 830 is going to be the go all summer. Shame for me cos I come from northern beaches and traffic for that time makes you prefer to pierce your eyes with a knitting needle.Previous years have had a lot of 10 and 1030 starts.

ShockOfHair
19th December 2013, 01:30 PM
You are certainly right about BJ he has really muscled up.
Great shots

He was probably as big a smokie in 2013 as Rampe. Will be hard to keep him out of the team next year.

Great photos Jeffers.

Cheer_Cheer
21st December 2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the photos Jeffers.. Reid looks rather fetching in his man bra...

Plugger1300
23rd December 2013, 12:45 PM
Anyone else hearing the rumours about Hanners discontent. Heard it from a mate of mine who is a recruiter at the Saints.
Not sure if it's buddy related but he might be on lookout to head back to Melbourne.
Hoping that isn't true

liz
23rd December 2013, 01:54 PM
Anyone else hearing the rumours about Hanners discontent. Heard it from a mate of mine who is a recruiter at the Saints.
Not sure if it's buddy related but he might be on lookout to head back to Melbourne.
Hoping that isn't true

Generally best to disregard most rumours. They are generally rubbish. But just in case, Hanners is contracted for another 3 seasons so unlikely he'll be going anyway anytime soon.

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-is-set-to-keep-gun-dan-hanneberry/story-e6frf9nf-1226616273280)

Auntie.Gerald
23rd December 2013, 04:37 PM
further to liz's post above

i cant see us letting him go anyway

secondly we are about create a dynasty

2012 GF......

2013 4th with a massive injury toll.........

2014 and 2015 will still have plenty of experience as well as some seriously emerging talent to contend for a top 4 spot and a GF

MightyBloods
23rd December 2013, 11:50 PM
I heard the rumour too. Hanners loves to cook. KT has moved into his house and taken over the kitchen. This could be a HUGE story for those courageous enough to put it in the papers. They invited Lance to dinner and had the paparazzi outside the windows hearing the argument between Hanners and KT...."No, I want to mash the potatoes!!"
Lance was heard saying "where's there's smoke, there's fire"! He was right......KT burnt the sausages!

MightyBloods
24th December 2013, 12:35 AM
and on a separate note:
I'll put my hand up and say that Harry Marsh will be the surprise packet from a good crop of kids. Don't be fooled by the half-back talk. This kid is being groomed for a midfield role and was challenged post 2013 to improve his tank. He wants to play midfield and has returned to pre-season a different kid. The talk from WA a few years prior to him being drafted was that he was a much better player in midfield but that the WA colts needed him back to shore up an undersized backline. I know it will be tough to break into a strong senior swans side in 2014 but if this kid buckles down I think I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Auntie.Gerald
24th December 2013, 08:01 AM
Yep Swampy has the opportunity to takeover Roks role in the team........but for me i think he is still not ready to dis lodge a midfielder in our 2014 squad but he will be applying massive pressure along with so many others as the coaches have been impressed by his return form, weight, attitude etc

The midfield rotation has never had as much depth in my opinion and even Josh Francou said already that Zak Jones has massively impressed him and has been a standout amongst the young guys............Zak thinks of himself as an inside midfielder and I think he can BE every bit as good as his brother - with a little more versatility in positions and matchups due to him being a little taller already

McVeigh
Jack
Kennedy
Hannes
ROK
Mitchell
Parker
McGlynn
Jetta
Bird
Perris
Swampy
Jones
Hewett
Lloyd
Robinson

Then you even have the small to med forwards who can rotate along the midfeld wings for small periods / matchups

Cunningham
BJ
Rohan
Towers

-----------------------

When ROK, McGlynn, Macca retire over the new few seasons we are certainly in good hands for our midfield rotation

liz
24th December 2013, 08:05 AM
and on a separate note:
I'll put my hand up and say that Harry Marsh will be the surprise packet from a good crop of kids. Don't be fooled by the half-back talk. This kid is being groomed for a midfield role and was challenged post 2013 to improve his tank. He wants to play midfield and has returned to pre-season a different kid. The talk from WA a few years prior to him being drafted was that he was a much better player in midfield but that the WA colts needed him back to shore up an undersized backline. I know it will be tough to break into a strong senior swans side in 2014 but if this kid buckles down I think I'm going to enjoy the ride.

He was played almost exclusively in the midfield in the NEAFL side last year, before injury prematurely ended his season. So it seems as if that is always where the Swans have seen him. He was given a lot of defensive / tagging roles so the club might see him gradually replacing ROK as a big bodied onballer who can shut a player down. He's got pace, which ROK has never had, though of course his other skills (especially his ball winning ability and overhead marking) can't be compared to ROK's, at least not yet.

Auntie.Gerald
24th December 2013, 08:17 AM
i agree liz .........but I must say that his overhead marking defensively, in the Draft high lights package, when playing HBF, was very impressive and showed hat he is right up there in his starting point to continue improving in overhead marking, man on man ball winning vs other kids his age

plus Swampy also was no 1 in the Draft repeat sprints which is a great effort for his build

I think above all his kicking is Malceski like...........i have watched a couple of training sessions and he can nail a 50 to 60m pass right on the chest with a Nick Mal low fast trajectory which is superior to a lot of other emerging players

overall Harrison does appear to have that physical competitiveness which is such a key part of becoming a strong inside mid

it will be fascinating to watch his midfield development in the midfield in 2014 as he had several injuries thru out his first season at the swans last year and really didnt stand out much with his limited base and limited games in ressies

Auntie.Gerald
24th December 2013, 08:45 AM
BTW our young inside midfield group compared to the likes of a say a dominant Cats inside mid rotation is looking formidable indeed.....ie body type we have recruited very very well to ensure we we can be dominant on the inside contested footy for many years to come

obviously we made a terrific judgement call with Josh Kennedy - 26yrs of age and 189cm / 96kg

Parker - 21yrs of age and 183cm / 86kg

Mitchell - 20yrs of age and 181cm / 83kg

Bird - 24yrs of age and 180cm / 85kg

Z.Jones - 18yrs of age and 183cm and 74kg (will end up like his brother closer to 85kg and just as promising)

Swampy - 19yrs of age 189cm / 84kg (will end up closer to 88kg)

Perris 18yrs of age and 179cm / 74kg (he will be very similar to Tom Mitchell in my opinion in weight/height)

vs the successful prototypes of the Cats standout inside mids ie

Bartel 187cm and 89kg (this year played a swing man role but prior to 2012/13 he played 9 seasons inside mid averaging 28 disposals a game)

Selwood 182cm and 87 kg (the master ball winner and one of the best midfielders I have watched)

Kelly 183cm and 86kg ( a stalwart)

Johnson 189cm and 92kg (has played alot more inside mid rotation the last few years and you wonder if potentially Gary Rohan could make a similar transition as he becomes older)

wolftone57
29th December 2013, 01:51 PM
Hoping that isn't true

I think it might just be wishful thinking by your Saints friend. After all they could do with a Hannas at the Saints. In fact they could do with a Hannas, Reid, Tippitt, Buddy, the whole team really. There isn't a lot to work with down there and the best have either retired, on the cusp of retirement or gone to other clubs. Richardson is going to have to have a good wizard down there to produce a footy team capable of being competitive.

wolftone57
29th December 2013, 01:55 PM
and on a separate note:

He was playing in the mids in our Twos before he got injured. I thought he was really getting there, he is very strong in the Joey sort of way and is good overhead just like Joey. I also love his quick thinking and delivery. He weighs up the options very quickly and delivers. He also seems to be able to create space. i agree he could be a bolter and from all reports he is burning it up in the preseason.

wolftone57
29th December 2013, 01:59 PM
i agree liz .........but I must say that his overhead marking defensively, in the Draft high lights package, when playing HBF, was very impressive and showed hat he is right up there in his starting point to continue improving in overhead marking, man on man ball winning vs other kids his age

plus Swampy also was no 1 in the Draft repeat sprints which is a great effort for his build

I think above all his kicking is Malceski like...........i have watched a couple of training sessions and he can nail a 50 to 60m pass right on the chest with a Nick Mal low fast trajectory which is superior to a lot of other emerging players

overall Harrison does appear to have that physical competitiveness which is such a key part of becoming a strong inside mid

it will be fascinating to watch his midfield development in the midfield in 2014 as he had several injuries thru out his first season at the swans last year and really didnt stand out much with his limited base and limited games in ressies

I think he is an inside/outside mid as he can also get into space and provide the running option.

aardvark
6th January 2014, 12:40 PM
Todays pics......

Pre-Season Training - Jan 6, 2014 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2014-01-06/preseason-training-jan-6-2014)

What's with the mohawk Mal?

troyjones2525
6th January 2014, 01:38 PM
where's buddy? Didn't see any pics of him out there

Nico
6th January 2014, 04:33 PM
where's buddy? Didn't see any pics of him out there

He steers clear of the paparazzi.

Good to see Goodesy and Reid on the track.

ScottH
6th January 2014, 07:19 PM
He steers clear of the paparazzi.

Not very well.

sharp9
7th January 2014, 07:01 AM
Isn't it called a bro?It's not too "ethnic" to say that if you're a Kiwi....did you hear Corey Anderson after he and Jesse Ryder put on 191 off 71 balls? The interviewer asked "What did you say during the over breaks?" .... Anderson replied "Shot, Bro....that was about it."

They hit a six every 5.6 balls :-)

ScottH
7th January 2014, 12:09 PM
Maybe take the article to another sub forum.

Why wasnt Lance at training? Anyone?

He was in the gym this morning.
Twitter / sydneyswans: .@cird77 and @Buddy_Franklin ... (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/420323430127259649/photo/1)

Mr Magoo
7th January 2014, 02:48 PM
Maybe he was in the Gym? - OMG is he injured

wolftone57
7th January 2014, 03:31 PM
The guys look really up for it at the moment. I am impressed with all the talk coming out of the training sessions about Zac Jones and Toby Nankervis, he is one massive unit.

Primmy
8th January 2014, 09:46 AM
Shot six, looks like Tommy Walsh, Allir Allir, and Adam Goodes.

I am going to say it. The skin colour difference between those three is simply outstanding. Also gorgeous. Am I allowed to say that? Can't ignore the fact we have a long black, a latte and a hot milk.

They all look so different! Except for the muscle structures, and thank god for AFL that's all I can say.
What a change up and I love it. No longer a matter of blond, brunette, redhead and bald.

spiffy-dude
8th January 2014, 05:40 PM
I love his body, it's like majik daws. As i guy i would go there for sure.

Auntie.Gerald
8th January 2014, 07:28 PM
Perris sets the pace in time-trial - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-08/perris-sets-the-pace)

wow......... the confidence one feels when posting milestones.........im not just talking about the coaches and us supporters feeling confident but our young guys must be thinking if i want to make the grade i need to dominate, reach new pb's, smash my pb's !

The approx top 10 in the 3km trial as above was filled with emerging players !!!

Perris - wow he is dogged and ready to pressure the midfield massively........obviously a little small right now but he is going to be hard to knock back......his effort to stay with Rampe and keep ahead of Hannes was brilliant today........Hannes and Rampe had no answer and quite frankly i cant wait to go and watch the training again just to see a 3km time trial !

Dane - just picked up his dominance and ethusiasm that he brought in pre season into pre season 2

Parker - making every post a winner and in the top 6 by the look of it which is a brilliant effort for a guy who doesnt appear a natural long distance runner

Robinson - guts and determination and if Birdy wasnt in our tagging role you would almost wonder whether Robinson would have been promoted to a similar role as Bird did at the same age.

Cunningham - fair dinkum this kid is turning a corner in his attitude and commitment......i watched and listened to his 2013 season wrap discussion and he appeared a different person.....his body language, his choice of words, his tone all sounded like a guy aware of what is a ahead for Harry to be a 10 year player and not just a super sub !....Harry is going hard at the beginning of every race and trying to stay with the leaders all the way to the finishing line !

Towers - wow keen as anyone, appeared to be top 10 today...... and with Lambie gone, Bolton retired, Goodes coming back slow and McGlynn fighting for more midfield game time that we may see Rohan, Brandon, Towers and one or two others fighting for those mid to small tall roles in Snrs

Marsh - just keen as to impress with around top 10 finish......i wont say any more until i watch him in pre season and ressies cause i rate him highly but i cant wait to see how he fits in with our emerging midfield who will all want to dominate around the ball ups and we have a fair few to say the least !!!

Lloyd - also hungry and very solid player and appeared to be in the top 10 today !

Jones - last but not least this kid is all arms and legs like Jude when he joined us ie they have obviously had a growth spurt at 17/18 and havent filled out in proportion.....this kid is just a goer goer goer. Fancy being around the top 10 today in the 3km

The list goes on !!!!

Auntie.Gerald
8th January 2014, 07:53 PM
i must say it is amazing how far Smithy is back in the 3km time trials.......... yet the role he plays in our snr team is critical !

liz
8th January 2014, 09:38 PM
[url="http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-08/perris-sets-the-pace"]Cunningham - fair dinkum this kid is turning a corner in his attitude and commitment......i watched and listened to his 2013 season wrap discussion and he appeared a different person.....his body language, his choice of words, his tone all sounded like a guy aware of what is a ahead for Harry to be a 10 year player and not just a super sub !....Harry is going hard at the beginning of every race and trying to stay with the leaders all the way to the finishing line !

I am not really sure where those comments about Cunningham have come from. His work rate, better than expected endurance, and overall improvement were lauded by the coaching staff during his very first pre-season with the club two years ago, so much so that he got lots of opportunities during the NAB Cup and was picked in the senior team for round 1 of 2012. He did seem to tire a bit in the reserves as that first season went on, but was very impressive at the start of last season before injuring his knee. Indeed, that injury almost certainly opened the door for BJ to debut when Jetta got himself injured. Had Harry been fit I think he'd almost certainly have been promoted instead of Jack. That turned out to be a decent result for the club, because Jack got the chance to show he probably has what it takes to establish himself at senior level. But by the end of the year, Cunningham had edged Jack out and played in the finals.

I think we've seen steady development from Cunningham over the two and a bit years he's been with the club.

Auntie.Gerald
8th January 2014, 11:34 PM
well corrected liz

i totally forgot about Cunninghams knee injury and hence the opportunity for BJ to jump ahead for snr game time

sharp9
10th January 2014, 01:03 PM
The thing that makes me sit up is that Towers, Cunningham and Marsh are all supposed to be speed merchants rather than long distance types. Sounds like 3 fringe players digging very, very deep to get a gig :-)

A couple of Harry's goals at the end of the season should make a feel a bit more relaxed about losing Lamb. He looked like a "proper" player to me (as opposed to one who snags a couple of games before falling off the face of the Earth)

Auntie.Gerald
10th January 2014, 01:27 PM
I wonder what happened to Birdy in the last 3km time trial

i didnt notice him even in the race ?

is he injured ? as he did very well in the one just before xmas

undy
10th January 2014, 01:43 PM
I think he skipped it, looks as though he is spectating with a ball under his arm at 1:26 on the video from the Swans site.

DamY
10th January 2014, 07:27 PM
Wow Swans Media have gone into overdrive

Reggi
10th January 2014, 10:21 PM
Only so many times they can tell us pre season is going well. Pretty sure soon they will give us an update on preferred toothpaste and folders vs scrunchers

wolftone57
11th January 2014, 12:47 PM
Only so many times they can tell us pre season is going well. Pretty sure soon they will give us an update on preferred toothpaste and folders vs scrunchers

A few more pics of the sessions would be good though.

erica
11th January 2014, 01:31 PM
A few more pics of the sessions would be good though.

Yesterday's training photos are here: Pre-Season Training - Jan 10, 2014 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2014-01-10/preseason-training-jan-10-2014)

Jewels
11th January 2014, 02:33 PM
Yesterday's training photos are here: Pre-Season Training - Jan 10, 2014 - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2014-01-10/preseason-training-jan-10-2014)

Never any photos of Buddy, are they keeping him under wraps or was it all a giant hoax?

swansrob
11th January 2014, 03:16 PM
Buddy's a little behind the main group as far as his preparation. I believe he's mainly just running laps and doing a little bit of skills stuff. Doesn't make for particularly interesting photos (Note: I haven't looked at the photos, so I don't know if any of them are particularly interesting).

wolftone57
11th January 2014, 03:34 PM
I must admit they have picked u their game after Xmas. The new stuff is really good. Maybe they are listening.

- - - Updated - - -

Buddy's a little behind the main group as far as his preparation. I believe he's mainly just running laps and doing a little bit of skills stuff. Doesn't make for particularly interesting photos (Note: I haven't looked at the photos, so I don't know if any of them are particularly interesting).

the explanation from the club is that Buddy had a late finish in the GF so he is taking it easy until next week.

erica
11th January 2014, 04:25 PM
I must admit they have picked u their game after Xmas. The new stuff is really good. Maybe they are listening.

It's probably just because the staff are actually back at work. I know that I don't produce any work when I'm on holidays, either.

Ludwig
11th January 2014, 05:56 PM
- - - Updated - - -

the explanation from the club is that Buddy had a late finish in the GF so he is taking it easy until next week.

Buddy's got more important things to do. It's ridiculous to expect him to train so far from the season start. We should all stop being so selfish and let him get on with his life and hang out with his mates. :untroubled:

undy
11th January 2014, 09:55 PM
Never any photos of Buddy, are they keeping him under wraps or was it all a giant hoax?

On the McVeigh video at 1:02.
Obviously moves too fast to be captured on a still.

DeadlyAkkuret
12th January 2014, 02:04 PM
Buddy's got more important things to do. It's ridiculous to expect him to train so far from the season start. We should all stop being so selfish and let him get on with his life and hang out with his mates. :untroubled:

Why is Buddy holding that guy's face down by his groin?

Cheer_Cheer
12th January 2014, 08:51 PM
Is that a stain in Buddy's groin region ?

Legs Akimbo
12th January 2014, 08:54 PM
Looks like a brown patch under his groin area.

Ludwig
12th January 2014, 10:41 PM
Buddy is worth a mil a year just for all the great secrets he brings us from Hawthorn:

Buddy fantastic for Sydney Swans, says co-captain Jarrad McVeigh
(http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-fantastic-for-sydney-swans-says-cocaptain-jarrad-mcveigh-20140110-30mns.html)

''He's offering good opinions with the things he's seen at Hawthorn, a few things they do that we can take in to our training and our games. We've been learning quite a bit,'' McVeigh said

If we only had room in the salary cap for Edward Snowden. :anonymous:

spiffy-dude
13th January 2014, 09:01 AM
Do you rekon thingo did the same last year and why the dawks beat us like they did. Oh gee whats his name, the fella with the strut.

Jewels
13th January 2014, 09:41 AM
Do you rekon thingo did the same last year and why the dawks beat us like they did. Oh gee whats his name, the fella with the strut.

Spanger
No, they beat us because they were far and away the best team last year.

Primmy
13th January 2014, 09:51 AM
Spanger

spiffy-dude
13th January 2014, 02:08 PM
Spanger

Oh is that the reason why..silly me.

/rolleyes icon

Dosser
13th January 2014, 02:38 PM
It's probably just because the staff are actually back at work. I know that I don't produce any work when I'm on holidays, either.

And I also dont visit RWO that many times when I am on holidays, so now that I am back at work I can spend a lot of time here again. Hooray!

Auntie.Gerald
13th January 2014, 03:41 PM
i think we will see a little more chip and mark footy from the swans then in the past - it will be interesting after 6 rounds to compare our uncontested marks vs contested in years gone past

we were very much a team who under roos liked to move it forward fast and control the field position / game via talls bringing it down for a contested possession in the main

ROK was certainly given a directive over the years just to roost in forward on a blind kick which worked for us but wasnt the nicest to watch footy

Then Horse brought in the slingshot which suited our team in 2012 etc to a tee.

2013 with the injuries and lack of form from Jetta our sling shot mid to late season just wasnt happening.

but having the 6 key targets upfront in 2014 ie Pyke, Rohan, Reid, Buddy, Goodes and The Tip rotating thru the front line it just makes sense to adjust our play to guys who can take a great mark and nail a goal and we have them in spades.

it will no doubt be an adjustment for our team but just pebbles kicking forward blind from a ruck just wont cut it in 2014.........we will be shifting the ball along the backline a little more to straight runners nailing the pass to our forward targets methinks........a little like the Hawks Mitchell, Hodge, Guerrra who send in the penetrating kick to ruffy and buddy etc

i think we will see macca playing more off the HBF like Mitchell to set up more play and have Mal more running wider looking for that spear into our HF line......this will allow ROK to play his in under role in the middle and our other midfielders besides Kennedy to play slightly loose

Dosser
13th January 2014, 04:50 PM
Dont be surprised if we see more of ROK in the forward line now that he is getting older and Jude has vacated a spot.

Jeffers1984
13th January 2014, 05:14 PM
Went to training this morning

Todays training was definitely all about ball movement. Started off with basic short target then handball drills to full length of the ground drills.

My quick points

- All First year players Jones, Aliir, Hewitt, Nankervis were all absent.
- Jetta, O'keefe, Biggs and Walsh were there really early on doing basic hand balling drills then went inside.
- Mitchell came in later to do a few laps but not much else
- Shaw and Reid did a the close in ball drills but didn't participate in the full length field drills. Went to do repeat runs instead.
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11922904543/in/set-72157639715616695/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

- Tippett and Buddy participated in the short drills then did laps together
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11923104034/in/set-72157639715616695/player/" width="333" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

- Buddy was looking ultra trim and athletic.
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11922641905/in/set-72157639715616695/player/" width="333" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

- Harry Marsh, impressive skills and work rate. I can see him making his debut this year. Cracking pre-season by all accounts
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11923498676/in/set-72157639715616695/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

- Bird back into it 100%
- Membrey is @@@@ing ripped. Almost JPK beast like or will be in a few seasons.
- AJ in his own doing runs.
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11923102294/in/set-72157639715616695/player/" width="333" height="500" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

- Isaac Heeney. Remember the name.
From the little i saw today, i was very impressed. Showed good tenacity, good foot skills and took a really nice mark over Bird i think. Will definitely be drafted this year.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/11922893903_0759cf4c72.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jazWYg)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/11923472306_dab752f9c0.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jaCUUJ)

Anyways here is the full set of my pics from todays training

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157639715616695/

liz
13th January 2014, 06:42 PM
Ah, Jeffers. You spoil us. Great set of pictures (though I admit that after the first dozen or so I was beginning to worry that you have a Derickx fixation!

I especially love the ones on row 14 (if I have counted correctly) - particularly the first. Looks like the guys are getting intimately acquainted with each other in that shot.

Jeffers1984
13th January 2014, 07:11 PM
Ah, Jeffers. You spoil us. Great set of pictures (though I admit that after the first dozen or so I was beginning to worry that you have a Derickx fixation!

I especially love the ones on row 14 (if I have counted correctly) - particularly the first. Looks like the guys are getting intimately acquainted with each other in that shot.
hahaha Derickx was the closest to my field of view so he got the first few shots of the day.

On a side note, Sammy Naismith is insanely tall.

DamY
13th January 2014, 09:36 PM
Naismith's coming on quite nicely, looking much bigger than he did last year (well when I last saw him last pre-season)

liz
13th January 2014, 10:10 PM
Naismith's coming on quite nicely, looking much bigger than he did last year (well when I last saw him last pre-season)

I think he's coming along nicely because he looks smaller than last year (and last year looked significantly smaller than during the prior year when he played several games for the reserves). He was a big lump of a lad back then, and has undoubtedly shed quite a lot of weight to get himself to more of an AFL physique (for his height).

DamY
13th January 2014, 10:24 PM
I think he's coming along nicely because he looks smaller than last year (and last year looked significantly smaller than during the prior year when he played several games for the reserves). He was a big lump of a lad back then, and has undoubtedly shed quite a lot of weight to get himself to more of an AFL physique (for his height).

Aah. I remember him being quite beanpole-ish the last time I saw him. But may have just been how long his arms looked haha

Auntie.Gerald
13th January 2014, 11:58 PM
Went to training this morning

- Isaac Heeney. Remember the name.
From the little i saw today, i was very impressed. Showed good tenacity, good foot skills and took a really nice mark over Bird i think. Will definitely be drafted this year.

Jeffers from what you have seen of Heeney do you have any comparison to other players or build etc

when I same in the distance when i was late to a training he appeared rather slight ?

MightyBloods
13th January 2014, 11:59 PM
Dont be surprised if we see more of ROK in the forward line now that he is getting older and Jude has vacated a spot.

Agree.

Untamed Snark
14th January 2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks Jeffers, great work, I love the black & white shots.
It would make an interesting ad campaign, all of Sydney is in black and white except the Swans & their supporters gear.

spiffy-dude
14th January 2014, 11:21 AM
Are we allowed to keep the gold AFL logo? This video of the recent photo shoot shows the gold logo on all playing tops.

SwansTV: Photo shoot: Behind the scenes - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-01-13/swanstv-photo-shoot-behind-the-scenes)

I could understand if it were for something else but these are promo shots so why would they have the gold logo?

I thought the current premiers were only allowed the gold logo? The pics look awesome.

Also Lance has joined the swans bushman beards club with his version. Damn he and tips look powerful side by side. Lance is looking very fit.

rojo
14th January 2014, 11:42 AM
Great photos Jeffers- again - thanks! Was Rampe there somewhere?

magic.merkin
14th January 2014, 11:48 AM
Are we allowed to keep the gold AFL logo? This video of the recent photo shoot shows the gold logo on all playing tops.

SwansTV: Photo shoot: Behind the scenes - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-01-13/swanstv-photo-shoot-behind-the-scenes)

I could understand if it were for something else but these are promo shots so why would they have the gold logo?

I thought the current premiers were only allowed the gold logo? The pics look awesome.

Also Lance has joined the swans bushman beards club with his version. Damn he and tips look powerful side by side. Lance is looking very fit.

Yes, very strange. I'd have thought our turn in gold was done...

liz
14th January 2014, 12:39 PM
Great photos Jeffers- again - thanks! Was Rampe there somewhere?

Is that not Rampe trying to contest the ball with Heeney in the final (working) picture pasted into the thread by Jeffers?

spiffy-dude
14th January 2014, 01:22 PM
Yes, very strange. I'd have thought our turn in gold was done...

Maybe to keep Lance happy since he was at hawthorn last year? Anyway its a small detail but enough to tick off hawk fans this year if we do keep it gold! :D

spiffy-dude
14th January 2014, 01:25 PM
Also i like how the captain and coach use his real name and not his nickname. A professional move. Lance plays for the swans while Buddy plays with Miss Australia and sells t shirts in Bondi.

YvonneH
14th January 2014, 03:25 PM
Also i like how the captain and coach use his real name and not his nickname. A professional move. Lance plays for the swans while Buddy plays with Miss Australia and sells t shirts in Bondi.

I still think of him as Buddy. Am I bad?

Auntie.Gerald
14th January 2014, 03:30 PM
bad to the bone Yvonne !

very bad :surprise:

liz
14th January 2014, 08:04 PM
Also i like how the captain and coach use his real name and not his nickname. A professional move. So do you think Lance addresses his captain and coach as Jarrad and John, or does he call them Macca and Horse like everyone else seems to?

giant
14th January 2014, 08:40 PM
Great photos Jeffers - Buddy looks in great nick!

spiffy-dude
15th January 2014, 09:54 AM
So do you think Lance addresses his captain and coach as Jarrad and John, or does he call them Macca and Horse like everyone else seems to?

I dunno Liz, what do you think? I think my comment was more in regards to press conferences and in the media as for me thats what professionalism is all about. In a work/casual surrounding they can call him donk for all i care. Its the same as when an umpire calls a player by his nickname rather than address him as player 23 or his name.

Pmcc2911
15th January 2014, 11:34 AM
Great photos Jeffers, from a technical perspective how did you achieve the mix of colour and black and white in the one shot.

wolftone57
15th January 2014, 11:51 AM
I dunno Liz, what do you think? I think my comment was more in regards to press conferences and in the media as for me thats what professionalism is all about. In a work/casual surrounding they can call him donk for all i care. Its the same as when an umpire calls a player by his nickname rather than address him as player 23 or his name.

Players almost always refer to John Longmire as HORSE. Jared McVeigh is referred to as Macca not Jared. You would disallow this? Umpires using the players nickname is an indication that the particular umpire actually knows the player. I prefer this approach because it means the umpire has made an effort to get to know the players individually. That means he has an idea of who they are and how they react. It also means he likely to get less @@@@ from players because they know him they will respect him more. If you are aloof and stay away from the players as an umpire you create a division between them and you and also create rift problems that are hard to fix. Things like distrust, hatreds, scepticism of your decisions, scepticism of your motives etc. The best AFL/VFL umpires were all well know to the players and very respected for their efforts to get to know the players personally.

Football is not MacQuarie St or 'THe City' even though it is a business, it is still a sport with all the camaraderie that goes with that. I hope it continues to be like that and not some sterile working atmosphere like the OFFICES AROUND TOWN

spiffy-dude
15th January 2014, 02:05 PM
I did say whilst speaking to the media and not in a casual setting. Nicknames should be kept for online forums and school play grounds.

Umpires should act like professionals on the field regardless.

Nothing wrong with showing professionalism in any environment one works in.

spiffy-dude
15th January 2014, 02:17 PM
Great photos Jeffers, from a technical perspective how did you achieve the mix of colour and black and white in the one shot.

Assuming he used Adobe Lightroom which is pro photographer software there are presets available or you can use the HSL which contain saturation and other colour processing controls. Using the sliders within the controls you just wash out all colours and leave anything that is red alone. Well that how i would have done it.

Jeffers1984
15th January 2014, 02:34 PM
It's a feature in built in my Sony DSLR camera. It allows me to isolate either red,blue, yellow or green in the shot.
Usually you would require to do this in post processing and it can be very time consuming.

royboy42
15th January 2014, 05:19 PM
Jeffers, is training still getting underway at 830 rather than 10?

Pmcc2911
15th January 2014, 05:51 PM
Great I have just bought the Sony Nex6. I think this has the same feature, will have to read the instruction book now.
Thanks again

Jeffers1984
15th January 2014, 08:23 PM
Jeffers, is training still getting underway at 830 rather than 10?
yep still on at 830am.
Just as well because it's freaking hot by the end of training

Nico
17th January 2014, 11:03 AM
yep still on at 830am.
Just as well because it's freaking hot by the end of training

Imagine what the poor AFL players are going through in Melbourne right now.Was 30 at 7.30am this morning. 37.2 at 11am. Stinking hot.

Ruck'n'Roll
17th January 2014, 11:53 AM
Latest from the official site: Jetts has minor operation (should be ok by round 1) and Naismith still growing.

spiffy-dude
17th January 2014, 12:17 PM
Imagine what the poor AFL players are going through in Melbourne right now.Was 30 at 7.30am this morning. 37.2 at 11am. Stinking hot.

Well at least they get to drive home in their luxury cars and then go home to a brand new place with aircon while watching tv on their massive LED and drinking from what i assume are crates of supplement drink thats housed in the latest biggest modern fridge. And they get be healthy and look good and then go to sleep with a babe next to them.

I really feel for these highly paid footballers while i sit in a poor office with recycled air blowing earning enough for me to survive for this week and barely pay my mortgage and then being unbale to sleep because the woman i married snores like a truck driver and is starting to look like one as well.

Nah no pity.

aardvark
17th January 2014, 01:36 PM
while i sit in a poor office with recycled air blowing earning enough for me to survive for this week and barely pay my mortgage and then being unable to sleep because the woman i married snores like a truck driver and is starting to look like one as well.

:sorrow:

It's your choice!

Dosser
17th January 2014, 02:56 PM
Well at least they get to drive home in their luxury cars and then go home to a brand new place with aircon while watching tv on their massive LED and drinking from what i assume are crates of supplement drink thats housed in the latest biggest modern fridge. And they get be healthy and look good and then go to sleep with a babe next to them.

I really feel for these highly paid footballers while i sit in a poor office with recycled air blowing earning enough for me to survive for this week and barely pay my mortgage and then being unbale to sleep because the woman i married snores like a truck driver and is starting to look like one as well.

Nah no pity.

And here is me thinking that when you posted "As someone who travels back and forth between Syd and Melb quite regularly, owns a house in brunswick and in summer hill, lives 9 months of the year in melb, has an office set up in east melbourne and works with the advertising industry i think i know enough to form opinions from a decade and a bit of observations." that you weren't 'one of the people'...

spiffy-dude
17th January 2014, 05:15 PM
Bit of mayo for dramatic effect in my post there old son.

;)

Nico
17th January 2014, 05:28 PM

Nah no pity.

Trade her while she still has some value.

Jeffers1984
17th January 2014, 05:40 PM
Again managed to get to training today and it was definitely a lot more exciting than Monday.

Noticeable absentees - Brandon Jack (that was it)

Firstly got there to see the "rehab group" consisting of AJ, Shaw, Hewitt, Reid, Grundy, Biggs and Walsh....
(Hewitt Pictured)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3737/11991479196_721d4764eb.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgDsZj)
and of course Jetta who was watching on....
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/11991539056_4c4c58f188.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgDLMo)

Noticed he had strapping on his right knee (only to find out later that he had surgery on it)

The Forwards group did their own thing with contested marking drills between Pyke Vs Tippett with interestingly Tom Mitchell being the crumber.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/11991573416_aa5ea95327.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgDWZN)
Again their training session consisted of a @@@@load of running again.

Now the fun part. The players played a mini scratch match with medium contact. 2 halves at about 10 minutes each. Red vs Yellow teams. From the rehab group Reid and Shaw participated perhaps signalling they are fully back into it.
The game itself was a bit sloppy. Skills were a bit iffy but the intensity was good to see. The red team took it out 5 goals to 2 i think. The ruck battle between Derickx and Naismith was pretty physical. Naismith got the better of Tom thanks to his height and reach but Derickx was extremely physical giving every little bit of a contest.
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11991587456/in/set-72157639846560046/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Standouts from the match to my memory were Mcveigh, Mcglynn, Aliir (took some nice contested marks down back against Patrick Mitchell. Yes i know not a big feat) and Kennedy.
There was a bit of agro too with Big Nankervis (who was playing FF) not enjoying the close checking of Teddy. Nanko won a free which Teddy made him earn then Nanko being on the ground gave Teddy a nice big 2 handed push away which sent Teddy flying back a bit.

(Buddy Looking on)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3758/11992521866_5ec4c4bd71_z.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgJNWo)

Overall as ROK shouted out the match showed "Great Intensity Boys." And despite some sloppy play it was good to see them having a bit of a kick in anger.

Some of my fave pics from the scratch match.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7383/11992084674_a0f5a85e9e.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgGyYA)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/11991956496_2d9de6174b.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgFUSC)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/11991984494_7596131ecc.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgG4cm)
(Rampe on his right)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/11991662945_f2e29a9639.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgEpBp)

Some bad news from the match though as Malceski hobbled off at half time and was later seen to have his thigh wrapped up in ice. Hopefully it was precautionary.

After that there were game scenario drills, firstly from the kick out getting it past defensive 50. and finally the other way going into the forward 50 and finding a leading man. Both drills involved medium contact.
Finally it was fantastic to see Reid back taking some nice marks on the lead in this drill.

Ok that's it from me. Here is the whole set again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157639853229945/

Jeffers1984
17th January 2014, 06:13 PM
Also Patrick Mitchell seemed to have injured a groin in the following drills after the scratch match.

wolftone57
18th January 2014, 11:07 AM
Latest from the official site: Jetts has minor operation (should be ok by round 1) and Naismith still growing.

Big Sammy has to put two beds end on end as it is. He certainly doesn't have dwarfism unless it is dwarfing everyone else. He is said to be 203cm in the Swans stats but in articales last year he went from 205 to 208cm. If he grows much more he will get mistaken for an extra goalpost.

wolftone57
18th January 2014, 11:17 AM
Again managed to get to training today and it was definitely a lot more exciting than Monday.

Noticeable absentees - Brandon Jack (that was it)

Firstly got there to see the "rehab group" consisting of AJ, Shaw, Hewitt, Reid, Grundy, Biggs and Walsh....
(Hewitt Pictured)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3737/11991479196_721d4764eb.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgDsZj)
and of course Jetta who was watching on....
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/11991539056_4c4c58f188.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgDLMo)

Noticed he had strapping on his right knee (only to find out later that he had surgery on it)

The Forwards group did their own thing with contested marking drills between Pyke Vs Tippett with interestingly Tom Mitchell being the crumber.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2893/11991573416_aa5ea95327.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgDWZN)
Again their training session consisted of a @@@@load of running again.

Now the fun part. The players played a mini scratch match with medium contact. 2 halves at about 10 minutes each. Red vs Yellow teams. From the rehab group Reid and Shaw participated perhaps signalling they are fully back into it.
The game itself was a bit sloppy. Skills were a bit iffy but the intensity was good to see. The red team took it out 5 goals to 2 i think. The ruck battle between Derickx and Naismith was pretty physical. Naismith got the better of Tom thanks to his height and reach but Derickx was extremely physical giving every little bit of a contest.
<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/11991587456/in/set-72157639846560046/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Standouts from the match to my memory were Mcveigh, Mcglynn, Aliir (took some nice contested marks down back against Patrick Mitchell. Yes i know not a big feat) and Kennedy.
There was a bit of agro too with Big Nankervis (who was playing FF) not enjoying the close checking of Teddy. Nanko won a free which Teddy made him earn then Nanko being on the ground gave Teddy a nice big 2 handed push away which sent Teddy flying back a bit.

(Buddy Looking on)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3758/11992521866_5ec4c4bd71_z.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgJNWo)

Overall as ROK shouted out the match showed "Great Intensity Boys." And despite some sloppy play it was good to see them having a bit of a kick in anger.

Some of my fave pics from the scratch match.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7383/11992084674_a0f5a85e9e.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgGyYA)
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2885/11991956496_2d9de6174b.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgFUSC)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/11991984494_7596131ecc.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgG4cm)
(Rampe on his right)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/11991662945_f2e29a9639.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jgEpBp)

Some bad news from the match though as Malceski hobbled off at half time and was later seen to have his thigh wrapped up in ice. Hopefully it was precautionary.

After that there were game scenario drills, firstly from the kick out getting it past defensive 50. and finally the other way going into the forward 50 and finding a leading man. Both drills involved medium contact.
Finally it was fantastic to see Reid back taking some nice marks on the lead in this drill.

Ok that's it from me. Here is the whole set again.

Swans Training 17/01/2014 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffers1984/sets/72157639853229945/)

Wonderful pics Jeffers. I was just looking at Deano towers' ball drop and kicking style. It is what I would give a the best example to kids of how to kick the ball. Beautiful straight drop & straight leg kick and follow through. Wonderful shot that can be used time and again in the how to manual.

Primmy
18th January 2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks Jeffers. Some of the pics were terrific.

magic.merkin
20th January 2014, 11:24 AM
awesome thanks!

Auntie.Gerald
23rd January 2014, 02:12 PM
Jetts puts Olympian to the test - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-12-12/jetts-puts-olympian-to-the-test)

just picked up this video from a few weeks ago

at the 3min mark there is a guy taking on Hannes in the sprint - looks taller then hannes with a mop of hair

does anyone know who he is ? fairly similar height, look and build to Rampe but not Rampe obviously

TheGong
23rd January 2014, 03:36 PM
Jetts puts Olympian to the test - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2013-12-12/jetts-puts-olympian-to-the-test)

just picked up this video from a few weeks ago

at the 3min mark there is a guy taking on Hannes in the sprint - looks taller then hannes with a mop of hair

does anyone know who he is ? fairly similar height, look and build to Rampe but not Rampe obviously

I think academy player Abe Davis.

CJK
23rd January 2014, 03:53 PM
Keeping up with the Joneses - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-23/keeping-up-with-the-joneses.workspace)

ugg
23rd January 2014, 05:34 PM
From the 2014 Membership thread, just in case anyone missed it

Sydney Swans intra-club match
Wednesday, February 12, 5pm
Lakeside Oval (opposite SCG). Free entry.

Something a little different this year, perhaps to escape the heat of the usual 9am start?

Auntie.Gerald
23rd January 2014, 05:59 PM
thanks THeGONG correcto - he is below too

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Abe+Davis/AFL+U18+Championship+Round+5/kjLPh9hpOEe

Im wondering what role he is being groomed for ?

he appears to be a Gary Rohan type role - med forward ?

i found this quote from the NSW ACT game vs QLD in 2013

"Prospects Abe Davis and Isaac Heeney, both eligible for the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, also showed glimpses for NSW/ACT. Davis read the ball well in the air while Heeney, a midfielder, competed around the contests. "

AFL Photos - Galleries - AFL Photo Galleries (http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=Abe%20Davis)

heeney

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-916-15240-128036-0&sID=238773&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=24003688

Auntie.Gerald
23rd January 2014, 06:24 PM
i must say that Abe Davis is an interesting pick if we proceed with him onto our list given the competition he will be presented with for a med forward possie?

I am sure Liz or another person with great understanding of the Academy players has clarified this but can we take 1 or 2 academy players in the 2014 draft ?

TheGong
23rd January 2014, 11:50 PM
Nothing stopping the Swans drafting more than 1 Academy player. At the moment I think Abe would more than likely be a late draft pick or rookie draft pick.

Saying that however last year he improved a lot. If he continues improving he may move up in the draft. He impressed the AFL talent guru Shifter and was highlighted in the players who impressed in last years u18 championships. There was some footage of him on the AFL site and a good description of him was posted by a talent watcher on the Big Footy site.

"the one that really took my eye was Abe Davis. Boy that kid can play. Great size, can move, sure hands and makes really good decisions. Wasnt rewarded a couple of times for efforts he should have been to. "

also

"I am super impressed with Davis (i dont think he is eligible either). He is very Heath Grundy like and can see the Roos influence on him. "

A bit on him from the Mad Monday Show:

"The 17 year old really impressed with his kicking skills. Hit the target by foot on every occasion. 22 disposals, 8 marks and is a great size at 192cm. Watch his development."

TheGong
24th January 2014, 12:15 AM
The footage from the U18 championships start at 4.30 on the following.

Eye-Catchers - Round 3 - AFL - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT1xvmM_PZw&list=PLw7iQTmQkeUiI7LeAGxjmSPXR8OsnXhoZ&index=5)

liz
24th January 2014, 12:38 AM
People should start watching around the 4 minute mark of that vision - you'll get to see a tiny bit of Perris. And immediately after the end of the coverage on the NSW/NT game, there is a small segment on the three Americans that came over to try out, including the Swans' own (now) Patrick Mitchell.

Auntie.Gerald
24th January 2014, 07:42 AM
Liz i must say that Perris has that Sam Mitchell style of play about him in that footage ie very much kicks off the spot he receives the ball and plays the hands on the clock type midfielder role ie simple receive pass and directing the play vocally

---------------------------------

thanks everyone for helping

I have never put in much research to understand the academy, vs scholarship vs rookie vs draft pathways

So my understanding now is that if Abe Davis and or Heeney do not make the 2014 draft (which is our best result as we can use our draft picks on other players).......BUT they and are nominated as Swans scholarship players.......then we can take them on as rookies and because scholarship players of the swans we get first bite of the apple on both no matter what picks we have left for the rookie draft ?

If they do make the draft we dont have any further advantage then anyone else ?

Just to clarify - re Perris he was good enough to make the draft but nominated as a scholarship rookie player instead ?

ugg
24th January 2014, 10:36 AM
They are academy players (I think Perris is the last of the NSW scholarship scheme *sniff*) so they'll be subjected to the same bidding system as father-son.

jono2707
24th January 2014, 11:29 AM
I'm getting a feeling that both Perris and Zac Jones will really be pushing for senior spots very early on in the piece this year and at least one of them might get a chance somewhere.....

Auntie.Gerald
24th January 2014, 12:32 PM
i think they are very exciting prospects but i dont think they will dislodge anyone in the top 25 as yet........maybe halfway thru the season though they will be knocking on the door

then we have cunningham, Towers and Marsh etc in the next 4 or 5 players

although........ if injuries occur...... there is no reason why Perris nor Zak couldnt step up and make a debut

RogueSwan
25th January 2014, 10:36 AM
Almost time for my submissions.
Already confirmed with the boss that we will be going to all sessions next week when the boys come up here to Coffs. Including the chamber of commerce breakfast. I will take a camera and put up some pics and tweet some stuff as well.
Now where did I put my stalking outfit......

:smile:

aardvark
29th January 2014, 05:46 PM
"There remain a number of Swans yet to resume full training, however, including Goodes, Tippett, Franklin and Roberts-Thomson".

Well there's 3 million bucks worth of salary cap there. I hope they come good soon!:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

"There remain a number of Swans yet to resume full training, however, including Goodes, Tippett, Franklin and Roberts-Thomson".

Well there's 3 million bucks worth of salary cap there. I hope they come good soon!:wink:

MightyBloods
30th January 2014, 11:18 PM
i think they are very exciting prospects but i dont think they will dislodge anyone in the top 25 as yet........maybe halfway thru the season though they will be knocking on the door

then we have cunningham, Towers and Marsh etc in the next 4 or 5 players

although........ if injuries occur...... there is no reason why Perris nor Zak couldnt step up and make a debut

Well my tip for the 'surprise packet' of 2014 is no longer flying under the radar. Latest article on afl.com is calling Harry Marsh "the next" Joey! Horse and Joey both speak highly of him. I've seen this kid in the juniors and he is highly exciting ...if he gets his head right. Sounds as if he has, along with a good run of fitness (touch wood), he'll be a real player for us. His brother, Jonathan, was picked up by Collingwood in their last pick in the ND. The reason he went so late is the same doubts by recruiters......poor attitude.....thinks it will come easy. Recruiters rated Harry Marsh a far more polished and talented player than his brother...agree. Someone or something has struck a cord with Harry as it appears he is pulling the proverbial out. If Jonathan takes a lesson from his older brother the Pies may also have a steal.

ScottH
31st January 2014, 07:03 AM
Well my tip for the 'surprise packet' of 2014 is no longer flying under the radar. Latest article on afl.com is calling Harry Marsh "the next" Joey! Horse and Joey both speak highly of him. I've seen this kid in the juniors and he is highly exciting ...if he gets his head right. Sounds as if he has, along with a good run of fitness (touch wood), he'll be a real player for us. His brother, Jonathan, was picked up by Collingwood in their last pick in the ND. The reason he went so late is the same doubts by recruiters......poor attitude.....thinks it will come easy. Recruiters rated Harry Marsh a far more polished and talented player than his brother...agree. Someone or something has struck a cord with Harry as it appears he is pulling the proverbial out. If Jonathan takes a lesson from his older brother the Pies may also have a steal.

test post

Auntie.Gerald
31st January 2014, 08:00 AM

re harrys brother i thought above all we just had too many players like him but better - Rohan, Cunningham, BJ, Membrey, Towers etc that will be fighting for the small to med forward role therefore harrys brother just wouldnt make it at the swans

i think Swampy is on the up for sure and it is great a couple of the players and Horse are chatting about him but it is so hard to tell until we see him in pre season games etc..........especially when every week someone is being featured on the swans site on how they are progressing......but i am a massive fan and he has all the skills, strength in body and height to make it as a very dominant med defender........he reminds me very much of a young Luke Hodge (which is a massive call and no the same junior career) but if he can keep running hard he might make it as that midfielder who plays 50% on the HBF like Mal or Hodge

gee poor old pebbles looked off the pace of parker and the other exciting young swans winning the ball in the middle

It was interesting that Goodes said that Membrey deserves a shot at the Snr team in 2014 as a small forward........for me that sounds like he has certainly improved his defence/pressure up front which is a great sign his fitness and understanding of Snr football is coming along.

Membrey is a difficult matchup and would out muscle most 190cm tall defenders - therefore if we did go with a very tall forward line we would certainly stretch teams on quality defenders being able to contain our forward line

- - - Updated - - -

re harrys brother i thought above all we just had too many players like him but better - Rohan, Cunningham, BJ etc that will be fighting for the small to med forward role therefore harrys brother just wouldnt make it at the swans

i think Swampy is on the up for sure and it is great a couple of the players and Horse are chatting about him but it is so hard to tell until we see him in pre season games etc..........especially when every week someone is being featured on the swans site on how they are progressing

gee poor old pebbles looked off the pace of parker and the other exciting young swans winning the ball in the middle

It was interesting that Goodes said that Membrey deserves a shot at the Snr team in 2014 as a small forward........for me that sounds like he has certainly improved his defence/pressure up front which is a great sign his fitness and understanding of Snr football is coming along.

Membrey is a difficult matchup and would out muscle most 190cm tall defenders - therefore if we did go with a very tall forward line we would certainly stretch teams on quality defenders being able to contain our forward line

Auntie.Gerald
31st January 2014, 08:34 AM
Curtain call a long way off says O?Keefe - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-31/curtain-call-a-long-way-off-okeefe)

rok

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-31/curtain-call-a-long-way-off-okeefe

rok

Ludwig
31st January 2014, 04:41 PM
It's really exciting seeing Buddy and Tippo out there in the red and white. The only problem is that my expectations are too high.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-31/big-swans-put-on-a-show

RogueSwan
31st January 2014, 07:35 PM
It's really exciting seeing Buddy and Tippo out there in the red and white. ...

At training this morning (Friday) the practice match had Buddy playing a roaming CHF and Tippo lurking back in the goal square doing short bursts, 20m or so. Pyke also spent a lot of time around the forward line, probably in and around the 30-50m area. It was hard to pick the midfielders as they had the sun behind them but I did hear a lot of "Robbo, Robbo" going through the middle.
Benny seemed to still be playing his old role of being on the ball in the midfield (but only really when it was going forward for his team ie: he didn't follow it all the way to the back line) and then popping up amongst the forwards for a mark.
Tommy Walsh, although not playing, stood out. He is in great shape and was powering around the sideline. Not jogging but running. I don't know where he can fit in, but geez, he is giving himself every chance. I hope it works out for him, seems like a nice guy.
BTW Scott, I got a picture of your LRTee-shirt on the Swans twitter, Twitter / sydneyswans: Great to see the fans out in ... (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/429024063353131008/photo/1), with those handsome blokes modelling for you, you will now be inundated. Curiously the media crew had never seen them before, but they thought they were awesome, which they are ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

ScottH
31st January 2014, 07:47 PM
BTW Scott, I got a picture of your LRTee-shirt on the Swans twitter, Twitter / sydneyswans: Great to see the fans out in ... (https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/429024063353131008/photo/1), with those handsome blokes modelling for you, you will now be inundated. Curiously the media crew had never seen them before, but they thought they were awesome, which they are ;-)
[/COLOR]

:(

I wish they were mine.

bloodsbigot
1st February 2014, 05:29 AM
Big Swans put on a show - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-31/big-swans-put-on-a-show)

Can anyone tell me what's going on with Dane Rampe's moustache? :hmmmm2:

He's quite the character, isn't he?

Auntie.Gerald
1st February 2014, 08:10 AM
salvador :)

Chilcott
1st February 2014, 08:34 AM
Big Swans put on a show - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-01-31/big-swans-put-on-a-show)

He rides to training on a penny farthing.

Dosser
1st February 2014, 09:31 AM

Apparently he tops up his income by doing amateur magic shows at kids' parties.

Auntie.Gerald
1st February 2014, 09:57 AM
I believe Rampe is now a very important part of our 22 too

He brings an energy that feeds into our culture

"he is an 8 miles story........a Brett Kirk story" never give up !

RogueSwan
1st February 2014, 10:46 AM
I believe Rampe is now a very important part of our 22 too...

And seems like a top bloke. At the kids clinic in Coffs he was one who consistently talked to the kids and asked them questions during the autograph session.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Rampe is now a very important part of our 22 too...

And seems like a top bloke. At the kids clinic in Coffs he was one who consistently talked to the kids and asked them questions during the autograph session.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd February 2014, 04:54 PM
Best of the Sydney Swans in Coffs Harbour - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2014-02-03/best-of-the-sydney-swans-in-coffs-harbour#fcd2f0b0ba5f3410VgnVCM100000976bb70aRCRD)

my fav photo this pre season

the old and the new !

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/gallery/2014-02-03/best-of-the-sydney-swans-in-coffs-harbour#fcd2f0b0ba5f3410VgnVCM100000976bb70aRCRD

my fav photo this pre season

the old and the new !

Auntie.Gerald
4th February 2014, 05:54 PM
SwansTV: From the Locker room: Rising Star - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-02-04/swanstv-from-the-locker-room-rising-star)

watching this vid........it makes you think can we actually have BJ, Rohan and HarryCunningham in the same 22 ?

Tom Mitchell is a special for me re rising star

I just love the way he smashed Gueurra with his hip and shoulder in the above video clip

boyz to men !

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-02-04/swanstv-from-the-locker-room-rising-star

watching this vid........it makes you think can we actually have BJ, Rohan and HarryCunningham in the same 22 ?

Tom Mitchell is a special for me re rising star

I just love the way he smashed Gueurra with his hip and shoulder in the above video clip

boyz to men !

Auntie.Gerald
4th February 2014, 06:05 PM
maybe better question is can Jetta stay in the team with Cunningham, Rohan and BJ wanting roles in the HFF or wing ?

im just blown away by Towers, BJ, Cunningham, Jones and maybe swampy Marsh all pushing so hard this pre season for a spot in the 22

i am going out on a limb but i think this squad is the most dynamic squad we have had for some time.........our ability to blend our game plan in 2014 will be fascinating to watch as we have true speed and serious young footballers making the task of selection a luxury !

- - - Updated - - -

maybe better question is can Jetta stay in the team with Cunningham, Rohan and BJ wanting roles in the HFF or wing ?

im just blown away by Towers, BJ, Cunningham, Jones and maybe swampy Marsh all pushing so hard this pre season for a spot in the 22

i am going out on a limb but i think this squad is the most dynamic squad we have had for some time.........our ability to blend our game plan in 2014 will be fascinating to watch as we have true speed and serious young footballers making the task of selection a luxury !

wolftone57
5th February 2014, 12:15 PM
so many good kids at our club it will be easy for the coaching staff to identify players who are stressed and give them a rest. This will mean players already mentioned and Tim Membrey as well should all get game time. I can't see Goodsie playing the whole season and some of the mids were totally stuffed by the end of last season & I expect coaches to manage them this year.

ShockOfHair
5th February 2014, 12:39 PM
I'm also loving the quality of the junior players on the list.

OK, I was excited by Johnston and Vespa too, but in this case it seems just about all of our dozen junior players show signs.

On the Swans site today, senior players are asked who will have a breakout year. Tom Mitchell got a few mentions, Zak one or two, BJ was nominated by his brother and Buddy tipped Harry C.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also loving the quality of the junior players on the list.

OK, I was excited by Johnston and Vespa too, but in this case it seems just about all of our dozen junior players show signs.

On the Swans site today, senior players are asked who will have a breakout year. Tom Mitchell got a few mentions, Zak one or two, BJ was nominated by his brother and Buddy tipped Harry C.

jono2707
5th February 2014, 12:51 PM
I'm tipping Harry C to have a pretty good year - I have him in my Fantasy team at this stage as he's cheap and I see him getting plenty of game time this year....

Ludwig
5th February 2014, 09:18 PM
This is yet another positive article about Allir, from none other than MOL:

Allir Allir (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-great-michael-oloughlin-expects-big-things-from-swans-recruit-aliir-aliir/story-e6frf33l-1226818891942?from=public_rss)

If Allir can make it then it looks like a royal flush for the recruiting team. I think Jones, Hewitt and Toby N will all turn out to be very good players. Add to that he bonus of landing Perris as rookie, not to mention Buddy and Laidler.

The likes of Mummy, Lamb, Jesse and Dre will be quickly forgotten. We will wonder what they would have done this year with all the talent in this team. Probably just languishing in the Swans' reserves, but all the best to them with their new sides. I think they will do well and see plenty of senior footy.

(Message to self: Over-optimism alert!!)

wolftone57
6th February 2014, 03:34 PM

Allir Allir (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney-great-michael-oloughlin-expects-big-things-from-swans-recruit-aliir-aliir/story-e6frf33l-1226818891942?from=public_rss)

If Allir can make it then it looks like a royal flush for the recruiting team. I think Jones, Hewitt and Toby N will all turn out to be very good players. Add to that he bonus of landing Perris as rookie, not to mention Buddy and Laidler.

The likes of Mummy, Lamb, Jesse and Dre will be quickly forgotten. We will wonder what they would have done this year with all the talent in this team. Probably just languishing in the Swans' reserves, but all the best to them with their new sides. I think they will do well and see plenty of senior footy.

Not to mention adding them to 'Big' Sammy Naismith, Towers, Biggs, Membrey, Xav, Marsh, BJ, Harry, Hannas, AJ, Dane, Parks, Rooster, Lloydy & possibly Robbo. Our youth is pretty bloody special I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention adding them to 'Big' Sammy Naismith, Towers, Biggs, Membrey, Xav, Marsh, BJ, Harry, Hannas, AJ, Dane, Parks, Rooster, Lloydy & possibly Robbo. Our youth is pretty bloody special I think.

liz
9th February 2014, 11:52 AM
An article in today's Age about a new training "toy" the Swans have been using this pre-season. When I saw the headline I thought it was going to be a celebration of the fact that Buddy, Tippett, Pyke, LRT and Reid are now back in training with the main group. But instead it's about an altitude chamber stuck down in the basement of HQ.

Sydney Swans thriving on altitude training at SCG (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-swans-thriving-on-altitude-training-at-scg-20140208-328o0.html)

On a side note, this article is another reminder of the huge contribution - especially financial - that Basil Sellars has made to the club over their time in Sydney. When we sit and reflect on all those who have helped turn the club from a basket case into the successful organisation it now is, his is a name that shouldn't be forgotten.

giant
9th February 2014, 12:19 PM
An article in today's Age about a new training "toy" the Swans have been using this pre-season. When I saw the headline I thought it was going to be a celebration of the fact that Buddy, Tippett, Pyke, LRT and Reid are now back in training with the main group. But instead it's about an altitude chamber stuck down in the basement of HQ.

Sydney Swans thriving on altitude training at SCG (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sydney-swans-thriving-on-altitude-training-at-scg-20140208-328o0.html)

On a side note, this article is another reminder of the huge contribution - especially financial - that Basil Sellars has made to the club over their time in Sydney. When we sit and reflect on all those who have helped turn the club from a basket case into the successful organisation it now is, his is a name that shouldn't be forgotten.

Playing catch up with Scots College...

- - - Updated - - -

Playing catch up with Scots College...

R-1
9th February 2014, 01:03 PM
The knock on altitude training has always been that the effects wear off quickly. Having access to it all year round is the solution to that. This is an excellent example of Sydney doing development and training right, instead of buying into fads.

wolftone57
9th February 2014, 03:28 PM
toward the end of last season Harry looked quite at home on the wing. He is explosive and a bit like Paul Kelly I think. The thing I like about him is that not only is he fast but he is a pretty good kick and he is strong. Issac Smith has always given us problems because of his marking ability, he is strong and very good overhead. Herry could be the player to combat Smith. There may be a lot more using players in roles to combat opposition and hurt them with our players strengths. I think there will be a greater rotation this season due to match ups that are more positive for us and less best 22.

Nico
9th February 2014, 04:41 PM
Harry from my observation doesn't get into the packs. Tends to wait off the pack for a loose possession. He will need to be a lot harder at the footy for mine before he can displace others in the side.

MightyBloods
9th February 2014, 10:13 PM

It was Micky O who recommended to our recruiting staff on drafting Allir Allir!

i'm-uninformed2
10th February 2014, 05:22 PM
Man, this makes me happy. I almost forgot his last fully-fledged match was the 2012 GF, and didn't he put in a blinder.

AJ rapt to be back - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-02-10/aj-rapt-to-be-back)

- - - Updated - - -

Man, this makes me happy. I almost forgot his last fully-fledged match was the 2012 GF, and didn't he put in a blinder.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-02-10/aj-rapt-to-be-back

Pmcc2911
12th February 2014, 04:17 PM
Mike Pyke and Harrison Marsh at North Shore training last night.
Mike said LRT played the house down in their last training match, also said Tom Mitchell should be first picked in anyones fantasy team,he is ready to have a great year.
He also said AJ's knee is fine but has an infection at the moment, just reporting what was told to me so not sure what he meant exactly.

Doctor
13th February 2014, 03:22 PM
AJ, Biggs and Patrick Mitchell ran laps during the Intra last night. All looked to be running well. Jetta and Zak Jones only played in the 4th and were doing some pretty solid drills with Davo after the game.

The Big Cat
13th February 2014, 05:07 PM
AJ, Biggs and Patrick Mitchell ran laps during the Intra last night. All looked to be running well. Jetta and Zak Jones only played in the 4th and were doing some pretty solid drills with Davo after the game.

With Davo barking the instructions: "Dig deep boys .... the breast fillets are at the bottom of the box! ........ Flex those thighs .... there's plenty of meat left round the bone ....... Suck it in boys .......... that grease is good for you ..... Did I tell you I kicked four in a quarter in the semi against Geelong which single handedly handed us the flag ....."

Matt80
13th February 2014, 07:12 PM
With Davo barking the instructions: "Dig deep boys .... the breast fillets are at the bottom of the box! ........ Flex those thighs .... there's plenty of meat left round the bone ....... Suck it in boys .......... that grease is good for you ..... Did I tell you I kicked four in a quarter in the semi against Geelong which single handedly handed us the flag ....."

Good to see Nick Davies build a post-football career at the Swans under John Longmire! I don't think he would have received this opportunity under a Paul Roos led football department.

The reality is that Paul Roos would not be in the same position today without Nick Davies!

Auntie.Gerald
13th February 2014, 07:44 PM
4 goal qtr.....well not in 2014 :)

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2014, 10:39 PM
McGlynn joins leadership group - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-02-14/mcglynn-joins-leadership-group)

"McGlynn joins co-captains Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack, as well as Adam Goodes, Ted Richards, Nick Smith, Rhyce Shaw, Josh Kennedy and Ryan O?Keefe, in what will be his first leadership position in his eight-year AFL career."

congrats to Benny

Do you think that when a player is elevated to the Leadership Group that it would be very difficult to be dropped from the 22?

The fellow players of Ben must highly rate him as a player, a competitor and a leader of the Swans otherwise he wouldnt be elevated to his new role and you would assume they see McGlynn as an important part of the 22 in 2014.

So we have 9 now in total for season 2014 and I am very happy to see players of such character........I wonder if Malceski, Tippett, Grundy and or Buddy were close to making the leadership group?

I also couldnt help but think of what the group might look like in 5 years from now

Keiran, Kennedy, Buddy, Tip, Rampe, AJ, Parker, Mitchell, Brandon

Zlatorog
14th February 2014, 10:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken the leaders are voted by their peers, so what is the problem? If the players think he's good enough then I think that it should mean it's good for us as well.

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2014, 11:01 PM
no problem

I rate McGlynn in my 22 hence my "congrats to benny" comment above

I just wondered if others do as McGlynn and a couple other players tend to create a real 50/50 split on their value to the team vs other players who could feature in the 22

ugg
14th February 2014, 11:21 PM
Do you think that when a player is elevated to the Leadership Group that it would be very difficult to be dropped from the 22?

Jarred Moore was in the leadership group in 2012 and didn't play a senior game (I think named as emergency once after a late withdrawal by someone). But his leadership on-field during the reserves was clearly evident to see, and you would assume it was the same thing off-field. Took on a similar role for the Kangaroos last year and won their reserves (Werribee VFL)'s B&F. So it doesn't necessarily preclude someone from being omitted from the seniors, but yes it would be quite hard and possibly an awkward situation were it to happen.

Great trivia knowledge: Moore was at the club for both 2005 and 2012 premierships but didn't play in either of them.

ernie koala
15th February 2014, 09:30 AM
Good to see Nick Davies build a post-football career at the Swans under John Longmire! I don't think he would have received this opportunity under a Paul Roos led football department.

The reality is that Paul Roos would not be in the same position today without Nick Davies!

I'm no fan of Roos.. but....If Davis doesn't kick those goals in the 05 semi,and we loose that game.....

My bet is, we would of won the flag in 06. Which would leave Roos in much the same position.

royboy42
16th February 2014, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=ernie koala;633021]I'm no fan of Roos..
Any Reason why a Swans supporter wouldn't be a fan of a prem winning coach?
???

Bloods05
16th February 2014, 03:23 PM
???

I found that mystifying too. Football supporters are a strange breed. Paul Roos was responsible for one of the landmark experiences of my life, and I will always honour him for that.

Big Al
16th February 2014, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=royboy42;633047]

I found that mystifying too. Football supporters are a strange breed. Paul Roos was responsible for one of the landmark experiences of my life, and I will always honour him for that.

You can respect and honour the mans achievements but not particularly like the man himself can't you??

Roos will be always be held in high esteem by me for what he did for the club but I'll admit I don't have a particular liking for the man himself. Just my feelings of course. There are others who thinks he's a great bloke. Just human nature for people to think differently.

Matt80
16th February 2014, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Bloods05;633048]

You can respect and honour the mans achievements but not particularly like the man himself can't you??

Roos will be always be held in high esteem by me for what he did for the club but I'll admit I don't have a particular liking for the man himself. Just my feelings of course. There are others who thinks he's a great bloke. Just human nature for people to think differently.

Where are you Billy Ray Cypress? I want to hear your thoughts on Paul Roos!

Matt80
16th February 2014, 04:19 PM
In other news, I read in the Sunday Telegraph that Adam Goodes will not be ready for round one!

May be a great opportunity to play some quick guys in the forward line like Brandon Jack, Ben Myglynn, Garry Rohan and Harry Cunningham to back up talls Tippett and Franklin !

ernie koala
16th February 2014, 06:49 PM
???
I've been a Swans supporter for 30 something years...And the 05 flag was wonderful...But I don't particularly like him....Just my opinion.

Being a Swans supporter doesn't make me a mindless lemming, who can't have negative, as well as positive, opinions about aspects of the Swans ...I leave that role to others.

R-1
16th February 2014, 10:02 PM
In other news, I read in the Sunday Telegraph that Adam Goodes will not be ready for round one!

May be a great opportunity to play some quick guys in the forward line like Brandon Jack, Ben Myglynn, Garry Rohan and Harry Cunningham to back up talls Tippett and Franklin !

To be honest I think there's shades of Craig Bolton and Daniel Bradshaw around the way Goodesey's knee is being reported on. I hope I'm wrong.

spiffy-dude
17th February 2014, 08:15 AM
I've been a Swans supporter for 30 something years...And the 05 flag was wonderful...But I don't particularly like him....Just my opinion.

Being a Swans supporter doesn't make me a mindless lemming, who can't have negative, as well as positive, opinions about aspects of the Swans ...I leave that role to others.

Watching Roos with the demons and how much they embraced him in so little time is like watching an ex gf you loved and worshipped now be with another person who is showing them the same but even more affection. I cant handle it.

And i wont handle it when he becomes the demons new messiah, which he is fast becoming.

I guess i am just a bitter ex lover.

Reggi
17th February 2014, 08:48 AM
Roos had run his race in Sydney. Fabulous for us, his time was done. Will be welcomed back as soon as this stint is done

spiffy-dude
17th February 2014, 09:05 AM
If he leads the demons to a flag in the next year or two that might be a bit hard, the demons would want to make sure he is forever a demon.

Good to luck to him but i wont be wishing the demons any luck, if anything i hope roos cant do anything to save them and they are indeed cursed.

I also know the dees is one side that can match us well and now with Roos it will make it that much more difficult.

Matt80
17th February 2014, 09:19 AM
To be honest I think there's shades of Craig Bolton and Daniel Bradshaw around the way Goodesey's knee is being reported on. I hope I'm wrong.

I hope its not true, but I'm probably agreeing with you. He has been out for 9 months, almost at long as an ACL and is not ready. Everytime he gets close to prepared, swelling occurs in his knee.

Can some with some expertise in the matter please shed some light on whether he will get up for another AFL game in 2014?

Let's be opptomistic. Mitchell Johnson is 32 and after having problems with his body is now the best performing cricketer in the World. I hope Adam at 34 can take inspiration from Mitch and come back to his Brwonlow best.

spiffy-dude
17th February 2014, 10:20 AM

I felt the same way when i read that. I hope we haven't seen the last of goodes but i feel we have and if we haven't we will see a few more games before he gives it up. Everything points to this happening with what a fair few examples of champion players in the history of the code bowing out in this exact manner and at the same age.

And he hasnt played in 9 months. Goodes in the past when he has come back from a rare period out has been shocking and took a fair few games to get back into it..but this time he is older and older players when their reflex slow down are made to look like 2nd rate players, its sad to watch.

I am hoping it doesnt eventuate to this but sadly it does have that feeling about it. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Auntie.Gerald
17th February 2014, 08:51 PM
removing the snow blizzard of material from your knees doesnt mean that winter goes away !!

Fingers crossed that without meniscus being present in Adam's knees .....that he will still be able to run hard lines and move laterally at an AFL level

Ludwig
17th February 2014, 09:52 PM
There was a report on AFL Footy Feed that Tippett was in Melbourne today to see a physio about his troublesome knee. We may be seeing a lot more of LRT than I originally thought.

Auntie.Gerald
17th February 2014, 10:43 PM
bloody hell

i hope he doesnt see the physio i saw in melb

I was suffering from constant groin strain - save the jokes :) - whilst playing in my last years of football.........i went to physios osteo's chiros and no luck

But i was recommended to a guy down in melb that alot of AFL, SOCCER and NRL players see as the last hope for chronic groin strains

I walked in for the appointment and I can tell you i was a little disturbed when within a few minutes he mentioned that the doors are padded to reduce the noise of screaming !!!

I said "do you mean patient screaming" and he said "yep" !

I then went thru the 60mins of pain......pain so itense i almost passed out........i wished i passed out.......

my legs the next day were black and blue with bruising - not an exaggeration........... from my groin to my knees he knuckle and elbow massaged the scare tissue in my groin so bloody hard that i had a piece of cloth between my teeth grunting with pain the whole time...........60mins !!!!

but it worked which ended up a small price to pay to look like Marcellos Wallace in Pulp Fiction :)

- - - Updated - - -

There was a report on AFL Footy Feed that Tippett was in Melbourne today to see a physio about his troublesome knee. We may be seeing a lot more of LRT than I originally thought.

if that is the case you would think that like Adam he will be doing not much ruck work at all going forward ?

Ludwig
18th February 2014, 01:23 PM
It's sort of official now that both Tippett and Goodes will miss round 1:

knee-woes-out-key-swans (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-18/knee-woes-out-key-swans)

I guess many of us are resigned to the end for Adam coming sooner rather than later, but it's disappointing that Tippo couldn't get his knee right 5 months after what was supposed to be a minor injury.

Auntie.Gerald
18th February 2014, 01:31 PM
just gives others an opportunity in my opinion as we saw in 2013

we have so much depth

LRT, Reid, Rohan and Buddy can still make a fist of it withour two midfielder rotation upfront :)

Membrey, Towers, BJ, Cunningham and the list goes on could have a crack and do very well !

For all we know Reid could brain it with 5 goals in rd1 and the rest is history for the season and his career

Reggi
18th February 2014, 01:35 PM
Tommy Walsh has been placed on Longterm injury list. Will save us some salary cap space

DeadlyAkkuret
18th February 2014, 02:16 PM
Considering Membrey hasn't been selected when we're missing Tippett, Franklin and Goodes from the forward line, I don't like his chances of getting many opportunities on 2014.

Ludwig
18th February 2014, 02:24 PM
Considering Membrey hasn't been selected when we're missing Tippett, Franklin and Goodes from the forward line, I don't like his chances of getting many opportunities on 2014.

There is some indication that Membrey might be carrying a slight injury as it was reported in another thread that he was not training with the main group this morning.

Matt80
18th February 2014, 03:03 PM
just gives others an opportunity in my opinion as we saw in 2013

we have so much depth

LRT, Reid, Rohan and Buddy can still make a fist of it withour two midfielder rotation upfront :)

Membrey, Towers, BJ, Cunningham and the list goes on could have a crack and do very well !

For all we know Reid could brain it with 5 goals in rd1 and the rest is history for the season and his career

We'll be okay for Round 1. LRT will play back. Sam Reid will play forward, and Toby N will make his debut to support Pyke in the ruck.

You need LRT, Grundy and Richards back to cover Cameron, Boyd and Patten. Maybe Alex Johnson could slot in down back to help.

Ludwig
18th February 2014, 03:44 PM
We'll be okay for Round 1. LRT will play back. Sam Reid will play forward, and Toby N will make his debut to support Pyke in the ruck.

You need LRT, Grundy and Richards back to cover Cameron, Boyd and Patten. Maybe Alex Johnson could slot in down back to help.

I don't think AJ is targeting round 1 either, so LRT looks a certainty. If the Giants go with the 3 big men then we may play LRT down back and Nanny at FF. There is also the option of playing Reid down back and LRT at FF.

This is what the pre season is for. The coaches need to work through these various options. We look to be going into round 1 missing 3 regular KPPs. We should be okay handling it, but more than 3 could be a problem.

On-Baller
19th February 2014, 06:09 AM
Interesting that physio Tippet went to see was based at Princess Park, im sure some of the carlton diehards are thinking he was there having contract talks for next season.

DLBIA14
25th February 2014, 05:33 PM
Goodes told Sportsfan Clubhouse he won't be right till round 3 or 4. He has bone bruising apparently. :(

spiffy-dude
26th February 2014, 11:27 AM
round 4 becomes round 5 becomes round 9 becomes round 12 and then before we know ita massive press conference is to be held at 11am at driver avenue regarding Adam Goodes..to then hear..

"Adam Goodes champion footballer and human being has announced his retirement from AFL due to an on going battle with a knee injury.."

its happened so many times with champion players and sadly i think we have seen the last of goodes. Pretty sad that the last game we saw Goodes play at his best is also the game he was racially vilified.

DeadlyAkkuret
26th February 2014, 11:43 AM
Yeah I think it's time we get used to not seeing Adam run out for us. To be honest I've been used to it for a while.

Dosser
26th February 2014, 12:07 PM
So sad. I think that Spiffy is right. We may have seen the last of Adam.

spiffy-dude
26th February 2014, 12:50 PM
I really hope i am wrong. But its been happening since players have turned 34 and cop a bad injury.

:(

At least we get to enjoy watching him play that final game in 2012 for eternity.

DLBIA14
26th February 2014, 05:18 PM
A part of me feels like that too, but there is nothing to be gained with pessimism so I'll keep believing. I do hate the club's continuous evasiveness regarding the true extent of injuries though. It's a rather annoying habit.