PDA

View Full Version : Jumper change proposal

undy
2nd February 2014, 11:47 AM
Names on jumpers - test at Easter this year (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/31/afl-add-players-names-jumpers)

Will the Swan Shop provide retrospective lettering so that all the Ben Matthews fans can distinguish themselves from Plugger and Dannebery fans ?

I think I like the idea, mainly for helping me with opposition players.

Daphy
2nd February 2014, 04:09 PM
It'll help the commentators get the names right too! ... at least the last names anyway ... :)

magic.merkin
2nd February 2014, 05:21 PM
It'll help the commentators get the names right too! ... at least the last names anyway ... :)

Booooo.

No.

Just my opinion. Even as an NBA fan where names occur for just 10 on the court.

I think the TV coverage needs to go back to basics, more player info on set shots, free kicks, marks. Stats, games played etc. They rarely do this these days.

cherub
2nd February 2014, 05:23 PM
Leroy and Ben will still play for us. And Kieren will move so fast he will kick to himself and score goals over and over again. Hmmm, sometimes he does that already!

liz
2nd February 2014, 05:48 PM
Leroy and Ben will still play for us.

As will Mark and Heath! Maybe Jonathan too, if he gets to make his debut.

ScottH
3rd February 2014, 11:40 AM
Names on jumpers - test at Easter this year (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/31/afl-add-players-names-jumpers)

Will the Swan Shop provide retrospective lettering so that all the Ben Matthews fans can distinguish themselves from Plugger and Dannebery fans ?

I think I like the idea, mainly for helping me with opposition players.

This is what makes it a winner for me.

Chilcott
3rd February 2014, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Primmy
3rd February 2014, 04:47 PM
As a player at another club said, He would be proud to have his family's name on his jumper. Not just for the fans then...

Big Al
4th February 2014, 06:58 AM
Anything that allows me to mute Brian Taylor and still be able to identify players is a winner in my book.

Ruck'n'Roll
4th February 2014, 07:41 AM
What will they do if LRT plays that game?
Abbreviation? Word wrap (so his name ends on the front of his jumper? Or just drop the font so it'll fit on the jumper but become illegible?

ugg
4th February 2014, 09:08 AM
The old curve around

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lPxArSILMPc/USEyLY27r6I/AAAAAAAAA4o/oQakQS8tYao/s1600/jan+venn.jpg

Dosser
4th February 2014, 10:21 AM
I find that when I mute Taylor I can identify the players correctly.

DamY
4th February 2014, 10:52 AM
Pro names

The Big Cat
4th February 2014, 11:20 AM
Yank inspired crap. The number ID's the player if you're unsure!

ScottH
4th February 2014, 12:25 PM
Abbreviation? Word wrap (so his name ends on the front of his jumper? Or just drop the font so it'll fit on the jumper but become illegible?

LRT.

I think GOD may be too pretentious.

ScottH
4th February 2014, 12:25 PM

LRT.

I think GOD may be too pretentious.

Jewels
4th February 2014, 12:31 PM

So how then do you identify a lesser known opposition player if you don't buy The Record? I think it's a great idea for that very reason.
I know all the players on my team and the better known opposition players, but the bit players, new draftees and elevated rookies from other teams names usually elude me, now they won't.

jono2707
4th February 2014, 12:57 PM
I'm all for it - it helps familiarise new and casual fans of the game to the players. Anything that helps bring on new fans, especially in Sydney, has to be a good thing.

Would be particularly helpful to GWS and the new fans they are bringing to the game.

Ludwig
4th February 2014, 01:25 PM

I agree, but it would help it they put the numbers on the players' helmets. :tongue:

undy
4th February 2014, 02:06 PM

They could scrap the numbers.
(ducks)

ugg
4th February 2014, 03:19 PM
If you can't identify the player by his gait, kicking style and biceps, then you're not a true fan.

Ludwig
4th February 2014, 03:26 PM
If you can't identify the player by his gait, kicking style and biceps, then you're not a true fan.

But what about trying to attract potential NRL converts? Would be a plus in Sydney.

- - - Updated - - -

But what about trying to attract potential NRL converts? Would be a plus in Sydney.

bloodsbigot
4th February 2014, 04:24 PM

Sigh... why are some people so against American stuff? Most of the best things we have in our lives came from America and most people don't even realize it.

Anyway, on topic, I'm all for names on jumpers. I consider myself a pretty serious supporter but I have at times been unable to identify our own players (For example, Buchanon and Schneider were pretty similar). I guess I'm just not really a number person. If you asked me the number of most of our players I would only be able to name 60% off the top of my head.

undy
4th February 2014, 04:26 PM

Nooooooo, if you can identify all 750 players the opposition teams have by their gait, kicking styles and biceps then you're not a true Swans fan. Go directly to Sydney eye hospital, do not pass go, do not collect $200 but do nate an eye.

Big Al
4th February 2014, 05:03 PM

I'm always getting McGlynn and Tippett mixed up so I might have to try this approach.

The Big Cat
5th February 2014, 10:41 PM
Sigh... why are some people so against American stuff? Most of the best things we have in our lives came from America and most people don't even realize it.

Yep. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, multi-national corporations, destruction of the Australian lexicon, grid iron games on pay TV, explaining the joke you already get, McDonalds, Theme parks, computer games, rap "music", hip hop "music", ?..

No names on jumpers please. It is just pandering to the uneducated.

bloodsbigot
6th February 2014, 04:42 AM
Yep. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, multi-national corporations, destruction of the Australian lexicon, grid iron games on pay TV, explaining the joke you already get, McDonalds, Theme parks, computer games, rap "music", hip hop "music", ?..

No names on jumpers please. It is just pandering to the uneducated.

Well, America isn't perfect, but without them we wouldn't have electricity nor would we have the simple convenience of going to a supermarket to buy groceries. Nor would we have lighting. Nor would we have airplanes or readily available cars. In fact, we would would probably be speaking Japanese right now without them. As far as bogan slang, I could live without it.

Anyway... yeah names on jumpers. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. It just seems to be a practical thing to me. To call it a 'yank' thing is just stupid. It's now largely an international thing. You might even say here in Australia we're behind the times.

ScottH
6th February 2014, 07:44 AM
Well, America isn't perfect, but without them we wouldn't have electricity nor would we have the simple convenience of going to a supermarket to buy groceries. Nor would we have lighting. Nor would we have airplanes or readily available cars. In fact, we would would probably be speaking Japanese right now without them. As far as bogan slang, I could live without it.

Anyway... yeah names on jumpers. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. It just seems to be a practical thing to me. To call it a 'yank' thing is just stupid. It's now largely an international thing. You might even say here in Australia we're behind the times.

I'll give them the Light Bulb, but not electricity.

ScottH
6th February 2014, 07:44 AM

Mr Magoo
6th February 2014, 09:43 AM
I think people sometimes get lost in the difference between adopting ideas as opposed to adopting culture. Language , music etc are cultural , light bulbs etc are just ideas. I also dont like it when my kids start calling rubbish , "trash" just because they do it on Icarly, but really, things like Jumper Numbers are just the adoption of ideas not the changing of a culture.

And does it really matter - Fact is its just catering to the non hard core fan. Hard core fans will usually know a player by sight , even without a number. Lets face it , numbers were probably first adopted to ensure that players could be identified by more than just name. Theoretically there is no need for numbers either at a professionaly level as we all know who the players are.

dimelb
6th February 2014, 09:53 AM
Attributed to George Bernard Shaw: the British and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language.
I'm grateful to the Yanks for "jail" as an alternative to the stupidest word I know in English, "gaol".
And it'll be good to have names as well as numbers, regardless of who else does it.

- - - Updated - - -

Attributed to George Bernard Shaw: the British and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language.
I'm grateful to the Yanks for "jail" as an alternative to the stupidest word I know in English, "gaol".
And it'll be good to have names as well as numbers, regardless of who else does it.

bloodsbigot
6th February 2014, 04:15 PM

Not the idea itself but guys like JP Morgan popularized and mass marketed electricity by establishing General Electric. Before that we were walking around with oil lamps.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

There's one thing I'll never forgive Americans for though; using miles instead of kilometres. Pounds instead of kilograms.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

There's one thing I'll never forgive Americans for though; using miles instead of kilometres. Pounds instead of kilograms.

Xie Shan
6th February 2014, 04:44 PM
Not sure what the fuss is about really. I can see the argument that it's not really needed, but it's hard to imagine anyone being truly upset by it if they brought it in. I personally like the jumpers the way they are, but that's just my preference. If it makes it easier for fans to identify the players, then I'm all for it, as I can't see any real downside. It's not like it (having numbers only) is a sacred part of our game or anything. I don't believe in change for change's sake, but if you can make something better for very little cost, why not do it?

Meg
6th February 2014, 05:54 PM
Not sure what the fuss is about really. I can see the argument that it's not really needed, but it's hard to imagine anyone being truly upset by it if they brought it in. I personally like the jumpers the way they are, but that's just my preference. If it makes it easier for fans to identify the players, then I'm all for it, as I can't see any real downside. It's not like it (having numbers only) is a sacred part of our game or anything. I don't believe in change for change's sake, but if you can make something better for very little cost, why not do it?

I completely agree. I watch all Swans' matches and a lot of the matches of other clubs if they are on free-to-air TV. But I still don't recognise all the players from other clubs so jumper names would be a plus as far as I'm concerned. I object to paying $5 for the Record just to get the names. I've ripped out and kept the number pages from Records I've bought at past matches involving each of the other clubs. Helps to identify a lot of the players but as each year goes by the number gets less. And Ron who sits in the seat beside me at the SCG laughs when he see that according to my page our coach is still Paul Roos!

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree. I watch all Swans' matches and a lot of the matches of other clubs if they are on free-to-air TV. But I still don't recognise all the players from other clubs so jumper names would be a plus as far as I'm concerned. I object to paying $5 for the Record just to get the names. I've ripped out and kept the number pages from Records I've bought at past matches involving each of the other clubs. Helps to identify a lot of the players but as each year goes by the number gets less. And Ron who sits in the seat beside me at the SCG laughs when he see that according to my page our coach is still Paul Roos!

DaveyCaper
13th February 2014, 04:46 AM
To be honest, I don't see a good reason not to do it.

Names on jumpers would certainly help fans coming into the sport learn the players. Take myself. I am Canadian who has fallen in love with Australian football. But there is near zero media coverage here. I watch 2 - 4 games a week normally (I started getting AFL Live, the international streaming service last year) and understand the rules pretty well. What I have found the last thing to develop is a true knowledge of a large number of players in the league (though certainly know Sydney pretty well as I watched all their games last year). Names of the uniforms would certainly help me in the process of learning the players in the league. This would be the same even for an Australian who is getting into the game (though obviously they have the media advantage). Hockey players didn't always have name son the jerseys and I really don't see the downside of them being there now.

Zlatorog
13th February 2014, 09:48 AM
I don't understand, why people's objection to have names put on the players' guernseys? It's a very good idea. I would even put their names on the side of their shorts so that the umpires can't mistake them. You don't have to buy them printed with names on it, I'm sure there will be option either with the names or without.