PDA

View Full Version : Match Thread Brisbane v Sydney

Swansinger
3rd May 2014, 10:35 AM
Swans by 45 . In the form of 6.9 , rather than 7.3.

And the media will then ask The Hawthorn Question : "Are they better without Buddy?" Yawwnnnn...

Mountain Man
3rd May 2014, 10:47 AM
Weather forecast for Bne tonight is?

Faunac8
3rd May 2014, 10:52 AM
Great to see Reid back on deck. Was at the MCG last week and the lift in atmosphere when the Australian of the Year came on was palpable. It certainly transpired to a lift on field as well. We kick like last week we win by 29 we kick like paid professionals should we win by 55.
Coming down from the Sunny Coast it's my first time at any event at the Gabba any body have any tips for reasonably priced parking nearby ?

- - - Updated - - -

Brisbane QLD
Saturday 8:00 pm
Clear

16?C | ?F
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 40%
Wind: 16 km/h
TemperaturePrecipitationWind

- - - Updated - - -

Should be a perfect night for footy I feel we are getting closer to gelling and finding the right mix looking forward to tonight Bring it on!

aguy
3rd May 2014, 11:08 AM
Swans by 19

And late change. Mitchell in for Kieren jack with back soreness ( that's my tip)

liz
3rd May 2014, 11:17 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the team goes without Buddy there, given they've spent most of the last month and a bit looking for Buddy at every opportunity. I had hoped the change would arrive once they had Buddy AND Tippett (and Goodes and Reid) to aim at, and so would start looking for the best option each time, given they can't look for all of them all of the time, by definition).

My expectation is that Derrickx will take as much of the ruck work as he is able, with Pyke plonked in the goal square to provide a tall target up there. That will allow Goodes and Reid to each get on their bikes and run around as much as their fitness levels will allow. They are both far more effective as mobile players than as stationary targets.

annew
3rd May 2014, 01:10 PM
Leigh Matthews on Thursday night suggested that Jonathon Brown would not be playing but then when he was named in the side the commentators sort of ridiculed him. The rumour today is that he wont play.

Swansinger
3rd May 2014, 01:32 PM
Weather forecast for Bne tonight is?

Brisbane Forecast (http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/brisbane.shtml)

Xie Shan
3rd May 2014, 01:38 PM
Brisbane Forecast (http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/brisbane.shtml)

Most important thing I took from that:

Chance of any rain: 0%

aardvark
3rd May 2014, 02:06 PM
Swans by 27pts. Goodes to kick 4.

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd May 2014, 02:28 PM
Swans by 27pts. Goodes to kick 4.

It would be nice to see Goodes in full flight for 4 quarters.

mcs
3rd May 2014, 03:21 PM
Just arrived in brisbane and can confirm its a warm, sunny day with only a few clouds around, but it is a bit windy. So should be good conditions for footy :)

BRISWAN
3rd May 2014, 04:38 PM
Welcome to Brissie??.couldnt say its warm though ????????

Good footy weather but will need to rug up for the game.

Go BLOODS?.

mcs
3rd May 2014, 05:13 PM
Welcome to Brissie??.couldnt say its warm though ????????

Good footy weather but will need to rug up for the game.

Go BLOODS?.

Compared to downtown wet canberra this morning its positively balmy lol!

Primmy
3rd May 2014, 05:45 PM
6 degrees ATM in Canberra ....

Cheer_Cheer
3rd May 2014, 05:47 PM
It is less than that where I am in Bathurst...

mcs
3rd May 2014, 06:02 PM

That's my home town Cheer Cheer and it makes Canberra look balmy at times!

ScottH
3rd May 2014, 06:14 PM
Stunning day in Melbourne!!
And yes I'm still wearing shorts!!

Cheer_Cheer
3rd May 2014, 06:20 PM
That's my home town Cheer Cheer and it makes Canberra look balmy at times!

Luxury luxury.. When I was growing up....

wolftone57
3rd May 2014, 06:48 PM
I felt sorry for Port having to play GWS with an icy rain peppering them. I can remember a Swans player once describing the ice rain as like little icy needles hitting you all over. Horrible. but nice in Brisbane according the BOM. At 5.34 it was 17 degrees and you don't think that balmy? You should try 13 & falling, the high today was 15.4. At least you had 21 and the weather looks like being perfect for a great game as 15.4 is forecast as your low.

stellation
3rd May 2014, 07:23 PM
I'm in Katoomba, I might just have you covered today.

wolftone57
3rd May 2014, 07:25 PM
Jonathon Brown is out replaced by Mitch Goldby. No changes for us. Subs BJ & Goldby. That will mean they will have to change their forward structure. Either going with smalls or pulling a tall out of defence.

Matt80
3rd May 2014, 07:27 PM
People will say one week at a time, but Sam Mitchell and Brian Lake today sustained injuries that will keep them out for a couple of weeks.

As long as no body is injured tonight and we win, we will play the Hawks without Franklin, Lake and Mitchell from last years team. Those guys are undoubtably in their best 6 players.

Hopefully we get Tippett and Franklin back and one of those guys can drag Gibson out of the play.

Out midfield should be able to break even with Mitchell out!

Auntie.Gerald
3rd May 2014, 07:28 PM
Stell my wife is up in wenty Falls today and you still have her covered at an extra 200m above sea level !!!!!

stellation
3rd May 2014, 07:33 PM
Stell my wife is up in wenty Falls today and you still have her covered at an extra 200m above sea level !!!!!
We lived in Wenty Falls when we first moved up, only 10 minutes down the road but it was balmy in comparison. We have friends up at Mt Vic, we view them as the crazy nutters living in freezing conditions. ;)

The "feels like" temp has sat at -5 or lower all day, the wind's been just a tad crisp.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd May 2014, 07:35 PM
one word

"Bleakheath"

when ever we have driven from wenty to "Bleakheath" you can certainly notice the difference !!!!

Mountain Man
3rd May 2014, 07:56 PM
This Mountain Man barely left his Bleakheath house today - fire going; red open and football chat hopefully coming soon

stellation
3rd May 2014, 07:59 PM
This Mountain Man barely left his Bleakheath house today - fire going; red open and football chat hopefully coming soon
I popped up your way to grab some fish and chips to bring home for lunch, it was nicely brisk.

giant
3rd May 2014, 08:22 PM
I'm in Katoomba, I might just have you covered today.

Got to spend my morning in Lithgow, where I swore it started snowing while wathchng my girls play soccer!

wolftone57
3rd May 2014, 08:33 PM
Congratulations Rhyce Shaw on 200. It just shows what determination can do.

Mel_C
3rd May 2014, 09:06 PM
We look so different wearing the all white.

Accuracy is a problem again... both disposal and goal kicking!!!

troyjones2525
3rd May 2014, 09:08 PM
Seriously! Derrickx is a liability! He needs to go for goodness sake Longmire!

Swans500
3rd May 2014, 09:09 PM
Should be way ahead....that is all i have to say....

Ludwig
3rd May 2014, 09:12 PM

Eventually it will become obvious to everyone.

Except perhaps the coach.

wolftone57
3rd May 2014, 09:14 PM
Four things learnt so far.

1. Reid can't read the ball. Should have played reserves before coming back. that kick from Lloyd was perfect and he just stood there.
2. We should be far further ahead. Our delivery has not been bad but so many of our forwards seem to be waiting for Reid to move and he isn't. Our goal kicking is @@@@e.
3. We have to pick the best option going forward and aren't at the moment.
4. Derrickx is not good enough at AFL level. Dropping simple marks, especially when the pass was absolutely purrfect (meow) and fumbling, bad handball & rucking that is helping the opposition in the around the ground stoppages. Sorry I have tried to give the bloke a go but he just isn't up to it. I was hoping he would do well tonight.

Mel_C
3rd May 2014, 09:14 PM
Disappointing that from 9 scoring shots we are only 2 goals up.

Reid looks rusty.

troyjones2525
3rd May 2014, 09:15 PM

annew
3rd May 2014, 09:17 PM
Agree Derricks not up to it

- - - Updated - - -

Boy are we going to get creamed next week, where the hell is the swans intensity?

Matt80
3rd May 2014, 09:20 PM

Tom D is coming good!

Mel_C
3rd May 2014, 09:21 PM
Our skills are bad. If we play like this next week we are going to be smashed.

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 09:23 PM
Plenty of the ball - not looking to flash with it however

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 09:33 PM
Well done Luke Parker! Have a go!

Can't hit a target inside 50

Far from the A game yet

Mel_C
3rd May 2014, 09:34 PM
Finally we hit a target (Cunningham) in the 50 and kick a goal.

CJK
3rd May 2014, 09:35 PM
One of the goal umpires is basically a hobgoblin

Wardy
3rd May 2014, 09:35 PM
Kind of glad I'm going to be on a plane to Adelaide on Friday night - I don't need to see that kind of carnage.

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 09:36 PM
This has the wif of a real nasty blow out if the A switch gets a tickle up... Have a go!

ugg
3rd May 2014, 09:40 PM
Oh dear Pyke has done a hammy.

Mel_C
3rd May 2014, 09:40 PM
Pyke is gone for the night. I wonder if Reid will have a go in the ruck seeing as there is no LRT.

Matt80
3rd May 2014, 09:41 PM
Tom D is now the number one ruckman until possibly after the mid season break.

Tippett will have to some ruck work now Reggi!

troyjones2525
3rd May 2014, 09:42 PM
Well whether he's up to it or not I guess Derrickx will be playing for a bit now! Pyke is the one player we couldn't afford to lose!

ugg
3rd May 2014, 09:46 PM
Doubt that Tippo will be fit for a Friday game. They'll have to choose between Nankervis or LRT to back up Derickx

goods78
3rd May 2014, 09:52 PM
I think it will be a good margin in the end, but we are well off our best. Our insurance policy in tom d is now paying off. Does grundy now go in?

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 09:54 PM
Few cracks in the bears dam wall towards the later part of the second term there ... Any one calling "FLOoD GAtES" just yet?

Ludwig
3rd May 2014, 09:55 PM
Even with Pyke out, I'd still drop Derickx and bring in Nankervis. I know he took a mark and goaled, but he's a waste of space. We're better off with 17 men on the ground.

Anyway, after comparing our performance with Hawthorn's, we should show up with Belconnen jumpers, because that's the difference in quality of the 2 sides.

Alan
3rd May 2014, 09:58 PM
Even with Pyke out, I'd still drop Derickx and bring in Nankervis. I know he took a mark and goaled, but he's a waste of space. We're better off with 17 men on the ground.

Anyway, after comparing our performance with Hawthorn's, we should show up with Belconnen jumpers, because that's the difference in quality of the 2 sides.[/QUOTE]

WOW, Ludwig both of those are big calls, especially for you??!! Have you had your Bex today?

Jewels
3rd May 2014, 10:00 PM
People will say one week at a time, but Sam Mitchell and Brian Lake today sustained injuries that will keep them out for a couple of weeks.

As long as no body is injured tonight and we win, we will play the Hawks without Franklin, Lake and Mitchell from last years team. Those guys are undoubtably in their best 6 players.

Hopefully we get Tippett and Franklin back and one of those guys can drag Gibson out of the play.

Out midfield should be able to break even with Mitchell out!

Spoke just a little too early there Matt!

The boy is blessed, doesn't matter what he does now he's a permanent in the senior team for a few more weeks yet.

Matt80
3rd May 2014, 10:03 PM
I think it will be a good margin in the end, but we are well off our best. Our insurance policy in tom d is now paying off. Does grundy now go in?

May be Adam Goodes can go into the ruck goods78.

stellation
3rd May 2014, 10:03 PM
That's probably going a smidge too far.

top40
3rd May 2014, 10:06 PM

Anyway, after comparing our performance with Hawthorn's, we should show up with Belconnen jumpers, because that's the difference in quality of the 2 sides.

So negative.

I remember back in 2011 playing the Cats at Kardinia the week after they had beaten Melbourne by something like 170 points. We won.

The Hawks will be so confident it may be a disadvantage. No Sam Mitchell, no Brian Lake. Swans should have Buddy, Tippet and Tom Mitchell in. And the game is at ANZ, a venue Hawthorn has only played twice.

I think we have a chance.

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 10:13 PM
Mr 200 - nice dart to hit him

Matt80
3rd May 2014, 10:14 PM
Great work on the boundary by Tom D. He is lifting!

Swans500
3rd May 2014, 10:19 PM
Talk about umpire assist for every goal....

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 10:22 PM
Great work on the boundary by Tom D. He is lifting!

He's bit as silly as he looks Oil Derricks...

AMcK3220
3rd May 2014, 10:26 PM
Flood gates?

goods78
3rd May 2014, 10:35 PM
What about the 2 ball ups inside our 50 - Kennedy contested one then Parker!

3rd May 2014, 10:37 PM
Bo's ruck work very impressive ! Pyke's hammy may be the making of him

Ludwig
3rd May 2014, 10:38 PM
Sorry for being so negative. Over the top, I know. But it's sickening to see how well Hawthorn move the ball compared to how much we butcher the ball. Every week I hope this will be the one when we turn it around. But it just hasn't happened yet. The thought of Derickx being our number one ruckman was a bit too much to handle.

DLBIA14
3rd May 2014, 10:51 PM
Real amateur hour performance this.

Ampersand
3rd May 2014, 10:51 PM
Two positives:
1. We haven't dropped off in the last quarter.
2. Might see Nanko playing Hawthorn next week.

Seriously, last year and these first 7 rounds have got to be one of the unluckiest periods of injuries I can remember for the club.

Matt80
3rd May 2014, 10:52 PM
Tom D has played well since Pyke went down. Well done. Rising to the occasion.

Ampersand
3rd May 2014, 10:58 PM
Lloyd up to 25 disposals.

3rd May 2014, 10:58 PM
Lloyd looks the business

DLBIA14
3rd May 2014, 10:59 PM
I've found myself hoping Lloyd keeps getting the ball. Funnily enough in this game I trust him the most. Good decision-making, good-skills and a hard worker. A real one-touch player who pays footy in a very natural manner.

DLBIA14
3rd May 2014, 11:04 PM
Kid deserves that. Workhorse.

ScottH
3rd May 2014, 11:05 PM
Lloyd has finally settled the nerves, and looking like he belongs out there.

Ampersand
Our midfield is pretty amazing. Top 5 disposals from both teams are all swans midfielders not to mention 6 of our goals. And we're behind on hit outs again!

Matt80
Could Jake Lloyd be a better player than Tom Mitchell. He certainly has more leg speed. Would anyone look good against this mediocre team!

Ampersand
3rd May 2014, 11:07 PM
I can't believe how much people are whinging about an 80 point win basically without a forward line. Ridiculous!

Go Swannies
3rd May 2014, 11:14 PM
I can't believe how much people are whinging about an 80 point win basically without a forward line. Ridiculous!

Watching from Canada and agree. And lose the ruck man before half time. Happy with that - and Goodes gets through a full game. Sam looked rusty but you'd expect that. Now TD's time to show if he's up to it - I can't believe some are now calling for him to be dropped. As I said last week, this situation is why he's out there.

ugg
3rd May 2014, 11:17 PM
Tom D has played well since Pyke went down. Well done. Rising to the occasion.
Agreed. Well played Bo. I'll shout him a coffee next time I see him at Westfield BJ

goods78
3rd May 2014, 11:21 PM

A win is a win, but the way we butchered so many opportunities against weak opposition is disappointing.

We need to be building for the next month of footy, not just getting 4 points against bottom 2 teams.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd May 2014, 11:34 PM
agree some the kicks into Goodes were terrible.........unbelievable in fact !

some the kicks for goal looked very very tired by Jetts

But for me the signs of the Swans football overall against a team that was ordinary and gave us too much time with the ball were pretty good !

I think a lot of the lads are better for the run the last few weeks and they know what level they need to play at to take on the Hawks........lets see if they can lift like they did against Freeo

PS - dont right off Tom Mitchell > the kid is a gun and played poorly to start 2014 but who didnt ! ........ he will come back when injury free and grab the game like he did last year

- - - Updated - - -

agree some the kicks into Goodes were terrible.........unbelievable in fact !

some the kicks for goal looked very very tired by Jetts

But for me the signs of the Swans football overall against a team that was ordinary and gave us too much time with the ball were pretty good !

I think a lot of the lads are better for the run the last few weeks and they know what level they need to play at to take on the Hawks........lets see if they can lift like they did against Freeo

PS - dont right off Tom Mitchell > the kid is a gun and played poorly to start 2014 but who didnt ! ........ he will come back when injury free and grab the game like he did last year

stellation
3rd May 2014, 11:36 PM
Did Derrickx ruck the entire second half? I can't remember seeing anyone give him a rest.

Triple B
3rd May 2014, 11:41 PM
I text a few of my regulars at QT about how Derrickx was making it hard for me to defend him this week, he was just God awful.

Then as a few have mentioned, from the time Myke went down he grew a leg. Maybe it dawned on him there and then that he was in the team regardless for the next month and freed him up mentally?

On-Baller
3rd May 2014, 11:44 PM
As Unco as he is you have to give it to Bo he really gives 110% and has a big tank. Is Goodes ok? seemed he was kicking on his left all night except for set shots and Keiran mentioned at the end of the game that he was really impressed with how the old fella played on one leg? Hopefully its just him getting to trust his body is upto it after the injury. Still sloppy skills wise but the effort is getting better each week.

AnnieH
3rd May 2014, 11:48 PM
Precentage booster.
Should have beat them by 100.
Not too shabby... poos and wees next week.
Ugh.

ShockOfHair
3rd May 2014, 11:49 PM
THat was probably our best game for the season. We had trouble with ball use and decision-making up forward in the first quarter, but from halfway through the second we went up a gear and put the opposition to the sword as we should have.

The best thing was the midfield just smashed it. Derrickx was pretty good in Pyke's absence.
Interesting question of Lloyd v Mitchell. On tonight's performance you'd have to give Lloyd another go.

Our

johnno
3rd May 2014, 11:50 PM
I liked the uniform...all white. Looks good.

goods78
3rd May 2014, 11:56 PM
I liked the uniform...all white. Looks good.

Are we directed by the afl to wear a particular strip?

I'm not sure jumper clash would be an issue tonight.

ugg
4th May 2014, 12:05 AM
Did Derrickx ruck the entire second half? I can't remember seeing anyone give him a rest.
He spent 99% Time On Ground according to afl.com.au. What a Herculean effort!

Matt80
4th May 2014, 12:06 AM
Agreed. Well played Bo. I'll shout him a coffee next time I see him at Westfield BJ

Ha Ha. Is Westfield BJ now the favourite Coffee Club venue amongst the Swans Players? I remember in the past it used to be Westfield East Gardens. Probably reflects a cultural and Lifestyle shift as more Swans players gravitate closer to Bondi Beach.

aguy
4th May 2014, 12:17 AM
My two cents worth.

The midfield was excellent tonight. Clearance work and movement through the corridor was generally very good. This was made a lot easier by brisbanes lack of pressure

To derrickx looked much better after pyke was subbed out. Maybe I have been a bit harsh in him remembering he still had very few afl games under his belt.

Reid struggled with his skills in the air and at ground. Hope fully that will improve with a few games

Jake Lloyd has earnt his place. He looked very composed ( except for his first disposal). Great to see him goal and be in the action so much.

I love rampe really love him but he has to learn to stay on his mark. He was called to play on far too many times tonight for moving off his mark and that lead to handovers more often than not.

Well done swans. Great to be back in the top eight. Hope fully we can stay in 6th depending on what percentages are after tomorrow's games

MattW
4th May 2014, 01:32 AM
I also thought tonight was our best performance of the year. Important players played well. Super impressed by Jake Lloyd. Goodesy still has it; great to have another game under his belt unscathed. Kieran looked great up forward. Derickx did look ropey in the first quarter, and he isn't particularly skilled, but he tries hard. Perhaps critics might cut him a little more slack for a while. I doubt they'll debut Nankervis against Hawthorn. Reprieve for LRT? I'm not sure who goes out if Tippett and Franklin are in.

Bloody Hell
4th May 2014, 02:24 AM
Strange sort of game. Seemed like there was no intensity at all in the first half, but we ended up winning by 80.

Lloyd was impressive and probably the best game from Derrickx. He seemed to play within his limitations better...maybe because of the extra work he was stuffed and was thinking less.

Doctor
4th May 2014, 09:16 AM
Wonderful effort from Derickx last night. That's the Swans way. Yes we took awhile to get going as a team but looked pretty good once we did. We certainly switched off in the last 10-15 but I suspect that was based on coach's instructions. Add a couple of key forwards to that style of play and we'll be right in it.

YvonneH
4th May 2014, 09:38 AM
Is it my imagination (or the all white strip) but I think Lewis Jetta looks a lot bigger than previously

aguy
4th May 2014, 09:57 AM
Is it my imagination (or the all white strip) but I think Lewis Jetta looks a lot bigger than previously

Yes he did last night. Sadly also back to his 2011 kicking form :-/

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2014, 09:59 AM
Jetts is certainly playing much more physical this year in his tackling and defence all round but he had to lift in the last qtr again to get his stats a little more acceptable

mcs
4th May 2014, 10:10 AM
It was an odd sort of game, but my biggest concern remains our very ordinary skills. We are simply not slick nor clean and its going to hurt us against the good teams. Play like we did last night and we will get beat comfortably by the dawks next week.

lwjoyner
4th May 2014, 10:14 AM
Its a pity Pykie is injured on his early performance last night Bo would be lucky to get a game with our reserves. I suppose he has to continue now but please don't use LRT as the back up, be game and use Nanny as the second ruck or else the Hawks talls will kill us.

mcs
4th May 2014, 10:16 AM
Jetts is certainly playing much more physical this year in his tackling and defence all round but he had to lift in the last qtr again to get his stats a little more acceptable

Jetta is far from his best of 2012 at the moment. His disposals can be fantastic, but at the moment he is most definitely 50/50 when he uses the ball, but he is far from alone in that respect.

I forgot to mention in my previous post about lyold. He really is showing signs of belonging at this level - was very good last night.

DK_
4th May 2014, 10:19 AM

JPK did some rucking, believe it or not!

aguy
4th May 2014, 10:22 AM

Yea I saw that and he looked pretty good too but he his much too valuable to risk getting injured by rucking too much

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2014, 10:31 AM
I hadnt noticed JPK in the groin warmers until tonight

Has he been wearing them this season ?

If not in other games and only tonight, that is interesting that he is needing them and as reported in seasons gone past he suffers Osteitis Pubis and wasnt even training in the last half a dozen games of 2013.

It appears we have more then a few (8 or more) of our stars carrying early or pre season injuries

Macca
Jack
Kennedy?
Goodes - did i see him walking very strangely at the end of the game - lurching to one side ?
Reid
Pyke - now hammy
Tip
Buddy

Big Al
4th May 2014, 10:41 AM
The good news last night is our better players are starting to warm into the season.

Lloyd is showing the sublime skills and decision making that the ressie watchers have enjoyed.

As long as we learn to how use the tall timber when they return we'll be in very good shape.

Only negative is our skill under pressure is no where near the level of the Hawks. If we improve that I'm confident we'll be there at the pointy end.

I guess with the month coming up we'll know exactly where we are.
Competitive effort against the Hawks and wins against Essendon and the Cats are a must I think.

Reggi
4th May 2014, 10:45 AM
On kicking skills. Could Jake be the player who brings balance to the force and improve our foot skills?

ugg
4th May 2014, 10:51 AM
Commentators kept going about Kiz's "new forward role" being about breaking a tag but didn't touch on his ribs injury. Still could see padding on his right side last night and I wonder where he will play next week

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2014, 11:00 AM
it appears we are building a much nicer balance of inside outside players this season - Jake, BJ and Cunningham becoming part of the Snrs DNA bit by bit

These 3 certainly bring sharp kicking skills and then Laidler and Rampe at the back no doubt thru out the season and more confidence will become sharper with their forward entries....

I think that the lift in kicking skills and the increase in leading (fast break) style players puts us in good stead to be able to be flexible against well coached well skilled dominant teams like the Hawks, Geelong and Freeo

When ever I think of Geelong and the Hawks I immediately think of how strong they have been off the back lines with incredibly penetrating passing that leads to such direct fast goals when they need it most in tight contests.

I like that Rampe and Laidler are on the rise and of course we have Mal - these guys off the HBF do have penetrating kicks albeit Rampe and Laidler are not yet in the mould of a Josh Hunt or Brent Guerra but they are on the rise and who knows by season end where they could be at.

- - - Updated - - -

Commentators kept going about Kiz's "new forward role" being about breaking a tag but didn't touch on his ribs injury. Still could see padding on his right side last night and I wonder where he will play next week

I hope Clarkson is guessing too ! :)

Ludwig
4th May 2014, 11:01 AM

And it works!

I've been arguing this for quite a while. Play 4 mids in the centre square and no ruckman. This strategy gives you the option of playing Tom Mitchell instead of Tom Derickx, for example. I think this produces an overall benefit, because you win a lot more of the ball over the course of the game.

Big Al
4th May 2014, 11:02 AM
On kicking skills. Could Jake be the player who brings balance to the force and improve our foot skills?

Being May the Fourth this could well be true. We do have a darth of good kickers at the moment.

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2014, 11:26 AM
I think there are several layers to a few being very critical of our skills - Adam Goodes showed you dont just loose your skills over night........but sometimes there are factors that pressure your skills and at the Swans there has been more pressure on execution via our change of play around the rucks and direct play

in years gone past we saw players like ROK be instructed to kick immediately out of the ruck and that mean bomb it forward without looking - this used to drive me insane as a spectacle, but I understood that a couple of our midfield players were instructed to move the field advantage into areas we could create another contest and the swarm our pressure in a tighter space........we very much liked to do this forward

Then in 2012 we became very good out handling the pressure of the forward press and we developed our counter attack brilliantly coast to coast with Jetta and Jack making Slingshot footy and art form !

In 2013 and more so this season I have noticed us bringing in two significant changes with our style of play

Firstly, we are backing our extraction skills from rucks and looking to play thru hands and feet alot more then seasons past and this has certainly contributed to more pressured disposals and what has stood out to us spectators has been turnovers from players that we have never noticed make errors much at all in the past

Secondly, From the backline we are desperately trying to share our attack and play more direct with our kicks - I have never seen Nick Smith kick as direct ever in season past and in the first 4 games his frequency of kicking direct increased dramatically.......in addition I have also never seen Nick Smith turnover kicks as much as he has in 2014 which was a direct result of Nick kicking direct and into high pressure areas of the field........I only use the protected smooch as an example of the Swans varying up their counter attack and that in the real games this has been a little tricky for our guys to learn to play as direct out of the backline - at training this pre season this was a big focus ie the direct corridor passing

For me the evolution of our football at the Swans is critical and such has been the leadership by our coaches to find players that can match the blue print of success for the 2014 season

My gut feeling is that if we had Tippett, Goodes and Reid in all first 7 games we may not have had to work as hard on our clearances and direct counter attack and our forward structure may have appeared better..........but i strangely feel very comfortable with our season thus far

1. we have had a stack of injuries to key players
2. we have blooded with conviction young outside players, a new Key Forward and Laidler into our "back 6"
3. we have changed Shaws and Roks roles which has been significant..........
4. We have sent a very clear message on our Plan A, Plan B and Plan C to our playing group and opposition
5. we met GWS and North at their best this season and we got taught a serious lesson how deep this competition is this year
6. We had a few midfielders not at their best in their early games and this was a real frustration that probably brought a greater resolve towards our team goals via honest communication

aguy
4th May 2014, 11:55 AM
Watching the replay. Loving it

ScottH
4th May 2014, 12:37 PM

Yes, I laughed at that.

Tony Shaw also said that Jetts was down tonight as he had been in terrific form over the last month
i though it was Jetts best game so far this year.

stellation
4th May 2014, 01:05 PM
I have to admit that did bother me a little in "how hard is it to be moderately informed" manner. I think Tony Shaw at one point was basically suggesting it should be a new permanent role for him.

- - - Updated - - -

And it works!

I've been arguing this for quite a while. Play 4 mids in the centre square and no ruckman. This strategy gives you the option of playing Tom Mitchell instead of Tom Derickx, for example. I think this produces an overall benefit, because you win a lot more of the ball over the course of the game.
I'm not sure that last night's game is a good one to use as an example of where we'd be better off with Mitchell over Derrickx. ;)

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2014, 01:19 PM
oops and

7. no mummy !!! .....playing and training without Mummy is a massive change........I loved having a guy like Mummy in the team when playing any sport........Mummy brought a presence to the midfield and he knew when to lift intensity and when to crack a joke !..........its a big change and you could equally see what he brought to GWS in the first few games this season

ugg
4th May 2014, 02:12 PM
I have to admit that did bother me a little in "how hard is it to be moderately informed" manner. I think Tony Shaw at one point was basically suggesting it should be a new permanent role for him.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure that last night's game is a good one to use as an example of where we'd be better off with Mitchell over Derrickx. ;)
Tony Shaw kept calling Rampe "Ramp Key" all night. And then in the post match wrap up, when they were going on about the Swans left footer, he said Bird was a left footer.

crackedactor
4th May 2014, 03:49 PM
Could Jake Lloyd be a better player than Tom Mitchell. He certainly has more leg speed. Would anyone look good against this mediocre team!Regardless of the poor opposition, you cannot deny his effort to work hard and run hard to the spaces. 29 disposals is not bad for someone who previously played just 5 quarters of footy. But did anyone see the last quarter evasion skills of Lloyd in the back pocket? Where he eluded 3 players, almost Gary Ablett like! But I suppose we should not get carried away until he does it against quality opposition.

Swansinger
4th May 2014, 03:51 PM
Good win. Plenty of positives .
Not necessarily a predictor of our next game , though - it was a bit like the Hawks v Saints game : hard to fathom how the commentators were praising the Hawks so effusively when it was , effectively , a two-hour training drill. Friday will be the real thing - a huge test for both sides .

mcs
4th May 2014, 05:17 PM

The padding was quite clear at the ground. I like him up forward, but I do wonder if its as much about giving him some time off from the heavy impact of the middle, especially in a game like last night where we had it well under control, and could try a few bits and pieces.

Primmy
4th May 2014, 05:26 PM
Impressed with Bo. All that criticism from R&Wers didn't seem to phase him. He will get better.
Point out to some of you - Mummy has played only two games this season, he is injured. Again. No point in what ifs here.
Yes, noted that Jetts is carrying a bit of muscle density around his back. Not impressed with his team efforts and decision making all the time. Maybe that's why he appears to be a bit slower. However his defensive work has improved a lot. Thank heavens he has lost the Buddy look alike do.
Salute to Macca we can be proud of him.
Impressed with Young Harry. All he needs is experience.
As for JLo. I shake your hand young man.
Rampe is such a reliable player that Reg looked to be having a bit of a rest. Luxury

Really enjoyed Rhyce and Mals' game . they can be such a combo together that it's a pleasure to watch.

Next week is going to be a killer. Cannot feel confident, but ...

I apologise for tooing and froing. New iPad is doing its own thing.

Jewels
4th May 2014, 08:05 PM
Tony Shaw also said that Jetts was down tonight as he had been in terrific form over the last month
i though it was Jetts best game so far this year.

Funny how we all see things differently. I agree with Shaw, I thought he was ordinary at best last night, though his defensive side has improved.

Ludwig
4th May 2014, 08:32 PM
Our impression of Jetts' performance would have been far more favourable had he nailed a couple more of those shots on goal. His kicking, which was one of his strong points, is letting him down this year.

aguy
4th May 2014, 08:37 PM
Our impression of Jetts' performance would have been far more favourable had he nailed a couple more of those shots on goal. His kicking, which was one of his strong points, is letting him down this year.

Like I said it's the 2010 jetta at the moment. Wasn't it 19 behinds before his first goal ?

giant
4th May 2014, 09:51 PM
Think many are being way too harsh on Jetts - if not the 2012 version, I reckon he's been working hard, generally using the ball pretty well, and certainly adding something to the team. Hopefully, he keeps getting a little better each week, far from our worst this year IMO.

Cheer_Cheer
4th May 2014, 10:01 PM
I think Jetts looked really hard on himself.. Horse seemed to be trying to pep him up just after the game..

ShockOfHair
4th May 2014, 10:16 PM
Jetts had 20+ possessions - a lot by his standards - but I don't recall him carrying the ball. Not sure he even bounced it once. Usually he laid the ball off by foot (79% efficiency). I wonder if that's under instruction.

aguy
4th May 2014, 10:26 PM
Think many are being way too harsh on Jetts - if not the 2012 version, I reckon he's been working hard, generally using the ball pretty well, and certainly adding something to the team. Hopefully, he keeps getting a little better each week, far from our worst this year IMO.
I don't mean to be hard on him. I agree with others that he's looking Better and better. He could have kicked three goals and we would b singing his praises

Doctor
4th May 2014, 10:35 PM
Tony Shaw kept calling Rampe "Ramp Key" all night. And then in the post match wrap up, when they were going on about the Swans left footer, he said Bird was a left footer.

Yes I heard both of those too. He was generally fairly generous to the Swans all evening, but it was from the perspective of an uncle whose nephew was playing his 200th game rather than someone who actually knew how the Swans players have been going this year.

ernie koala
4th May 2014, 11:21 PM
Jetts had 20+ possessions - a lot by his standards - but I don't recall him carrying the ball. Not sure he even bounced it once. Usually he laid the ball off by foot (79% efficiency). I wonder if that's under instruction.

He's been chased down a couple of times this year...

I think, in bulking up, he's lost a yard or 2 and, more importantly, his confidence to just tuck the ball and take off.

There have been many opportunities this season for him to just take off and he hasn't. Can't believe that would be an instruction.

Regardless, I think his general play has been really good. He certainly has more confidence in the physical side of his game, and his disposal/ decision making is fantastic.

I reckon he's adjusting and growing into a newish style of play before our very eyes....I'm really enjoying watching it unfold.

dimelb
4th May 2014, 11:35 PM
I also have the impression that he is working on expanding his repertoire, so perhaps not so much running and bouncing. But that goal against Melbourne, where he was fed the ball from a scrimmage and took off, three steps and he was past everyone else, and let fly. Classic.

hot potato
4th May 2014, 11:45 PM
I don't mean to be hard on him. I agree with others that he's looking Better and better. He could have kicked three goals and we would b singing his praises
Jetta still hasn't learnt the art of kicking when running straight towards goal, al la McVeigh and Ablett for example , who drop the ball low onto their foot and follow through so the ball rotates without deviation. They make it look so simple, you wonder why others can't do it. Not too many can do it like Buddy.
Hanners was struggling to execute this as well today (the Buddy technique).

Bloody Hell
5th May 2014, 04:16 AM

.........)
People talk about the dilution of talent due to the 18 teams in the comp....but what about the commentators.

I'm pretty sure the guys commentating this game would be propping up the ladder.

I don't mind Lynch, but he's not a main target, more your third man up commentator.

I doubt we'll hear that team again this year for Swans games...they will however be commentating alot of Lions games.

- - - Updated - - -

...Ramp-Key....idiot.

ScottH
5th May 2014, 08:57 AM
While his goal kicking has been amiss, his field kicking is improving.
Starting to find the targets, or at least kicking to advantage.

Industrial Fan
5th May 2014, 10:37 AM
I text a few of my regulars at QT about how Derrickx was making it hard for me to defend him this week, he was just God awful.

Then as a few have mentioned, from the time Myke went down he grew a leg. Maybe it dawned on him there and then that he was in the team regardless for the next month and freed him up mentally?His start to the game was ordinary to say the least. Not sure if he changed jumpers after half time though, as he was actually sort of, ok

Primmy
5th May 2014, 11:11 AM
His start to the game was ordinary to say the least. Not sure if he changed jumpers after half time though, as he was actually sort of, ok
The definition of damned with faint praise. We'll played Indi

I used to call for the axing of Macca (when he used to have hair) so I have tamed my use of "sackem" calls. What do I know!

Industrial Fan
5th May 2014, 11:23 AM
Certainly dont want Derrickx getting a big head!

Rampe is fast becoming a favourite. No second year blues for him, always seems to have composure and clean hands.

Folly that Laidler will make way - quite a handy utility even if he's not required in defence. Another interesting week at the selection table, particularly with Pyke out.

BRISWAN
5th May 2014, 11:23 AM
I know 17 teams that would have Jetta in a heart beat

He did a good job Saturday night including some great off the ball "team work"

The man is just evolving?..Go Jetts !!!!!

Plugger46
5th May 2014, 11:42 AM

Then as a few have mentioned, from the time Myke went down he grew a leg. Maybe it dawned on him there and then that he was in the team regardless for the next month and freed him up mentally?

I think the key was playing against a very young team, which at times, resembled nothing more than witches hats.

top40
5th May 2014, 01:06 PM
The good news last night is our better players are starting to warm into the season.

Lloyd is showing the sublime skills and decision making that the ressie watchers have enjoyed.

As long as we learn to how use the tall timber when they return we'll be in very good shape.

Only negative is our skill under pressure is no where near the level of the Hawks. If we improve that I'm confident we'll be there at the pointy end.

I guess with the month coming up we'll know exactly where we are.
Competitive effort against the Hawks and wins against Essendon and the Cats are a must I think.

Jake Lloyd deserves a Rising Star nomination. It would represent the supreme irony, noting that this was the Star Wars "May the 4th be with you" promotion weekend.

Witness:
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Full Cast & Crew
Directed by
George Lucas

Writing Credits
George Lucas
... (written by)
Cast (in credits order) verified as complete

Liam Neeson ... Qui-Gon Jinn

Ewan McGregor ... Obi-Wan Kenobi

Natalie Portman ... Queen Amidala / Padm?

Jake Lloyd ... Anakin Skywalker

ScottH
5th May 2014, 02:08 PM
Jake Lloyd deserves a Rising Star nomination. It would represent the supreme irony, noting that this was the Star Wars "May the 4th be with you" promotion weekend.

Witness:
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Full Cast & Crew
Directed by
George Lucas

Writing Credits
George Lucas
... (written by)
Cast (in credits order) verified as complete

Liam Neeson ... Qui-Gon Jinn

Ewan McGregor ... Obi-Wan Kenobi

Natalie Portman ... Queen Amidala / Padm?

Jake Lloyd ... Anakin Skywalker

Even more ironic, if in years to come, he goes to Collingwood.

Jewels
5th May 2014, 03:34 PM
Even more ironic, if in years to come, he goes to Collingwood.

Sorry but all these Star Wars references are completely list on me. Could someone please explain what Jake Lloyd and Collingwood had to do with the movie franchise?

Meg
5th May 2014, 03:40 PM
Sorry but all these Star Wars references are completely list on me. Could someone please explain what Jake Lloyd and Collingwood had to do with the movie franchise?

+1. Phew, thanks Jewels, I thought I must be the only RWOer to have no idea about all these Star Wars references.

Triple B
5th May 2014, 03:40 PM

I'm not completely au fait with the Star Wars saga either, but I do know that Jake Lloyd is the name of the actor that played Anakin Skywalker. Anakin later becomes Darth Vader who falls and moves to 'The Dark Side of the Force', hence I presume Scott's reference to ending up at Collingwood....

stellation
5th May 2014, 03:41 PM

According to Eddie, Star Wars is the second most recognizable brand on earth- just pipped by Collingwood.

dimelb
5th May 2014, 04:47 PM
+1. Phew, thanks Jewels, I thought I must be the only RWOer to have no idea about all these Star Wars references.

Also because of yesterday's date: May the fourth be with you.

Meg
5th May 2014, 05:51 PM
Also because of yesterday's date: May the fourth be with you.

Is that from a Wagner opera?

Auntie.Gerald
5th May 2014, 06:35 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

George Costanza Loses It - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpfSmVA94Io)

ScottH
5th May 2014, 08:32 PM
I'm not completely au fait with the Star Wars saga either, but I do know that Jake Lloyd is the name of the actor that played Anakin Skywalker. Anakin later becomes Darth Vader who falls and moves to 'The Dark Side of the Force', hence I presume Scott's reference to ending up at Collingwood....

Just spoil the movie for those that haven't seen it all!!! ;)
And yes the Dark Side reference is correct. Let's hope that never happens!!

Doctor J.
5th May 2014, 10:29 PM
It was an odd sort of game, but my biggest concern remains our very ordinary skills. We are simply not slick nor clean and its going to hurt us against the good teams. Play like we did last night and we will get beat comfortably by the dawks next week.

Not sure about this. Watched both hawks & cats games over the weekend and whilst we were certainly not very clean for the first 1 and a bit qtrs we weren't much different to Geelong against Richmond who coughed it up time and again in the second half. If it wasn't for Richmonds total ineptness in the first half, Geelong would have lost this game. Hawthorn on the other hand looked pretty slick but you can do that when you have no opposition. In short I don't think the opposition are that far ahead of us in the slickness stakes. I thought we looked pretty good in the second half against Brisbane

dimelb
5th May 2014, 11:10 PM
Is that from a Wagner opera?

Not this time. From Verdi's "The Fourthes of Destiny."

Meg
5th May 2014, 11:56 PM
Not this time. From Verdi's "The Fourthes of Destiny."

Ha ha! Very good.

lwjoyner
6th May 2014, 09:29 AM
May the Fourth (force) be with you. That's the reference to star wars

tasmania60
8th May 2014, 08:13 AM
Watched it goodes impressed me read the play better than anyone scarey when totally match fit?