Out Pyke BJ

aguy
4th May 2014, 11:54 AM
In. Tippett Franklin.
Out Pyke BJ
I agree I think that will be the changes. As much as I have liked bj

churry
4th May 2014, 12:56 PM
I think this is guaranteed pending fitness.

I guess cunningham will get the vest which is unfortunate as he has played pretty well but was a bit quiet compared to all other mids/fwds

Matt80
4th May 2014, 01:05 PM
In - Tippett, Franklin, LRT
Out - Pyke, Laidler, B.Jack

LRT will be needed as a back up ruckman and the 3rd tall in the backline to cover the rucking and forward marking ability of Hale and McVoy. This will allow Grundy to play on Roughead, Richards to play on Gunston, Rampe on Breust and Smith on Cyril.

When LRT goes into the ruck, then Sam Reid can switch down back and cover the resting ruckman.

Laidler has done nothing wrong, but there is no clear match up for him this week. I certainly would no feel comfortable with him playing on Hale. He comes straight back into the team when the opposition has a smaller forward line.

Franklin's one job against the Hawks is to drag Gibson away from the play. I would not care if Franklin got no touches as long as Gibson had no influence. You would then back Tippett, Goodes and Reid to beat the remaining defenders one on one, as it's likely the Hawks won't have Lake.

I would play Cunningham as the Sub as Lloyd gives you more as a midfielder than Cunningham.

Auntie.Gerald
4th May 2014, 01:24 PM
Cunningham has had a challenging role in that some weeks he has had to tag a Stephen Hill and other weeks he has had to run himself into the ground on forward pressure

I think it will come down to matchups between Lloyd and Cunningham for a few weeks now and I cant pick it - but happy with either !

others are obvious !

Ajn
4th May 2014, 01:35 PM
Think run is more important, franklin for Reid, lrt for Pyke and Tippett for laidler. Will need Cunningham to go back to play defensive mid.

Ludwig
4th May 2014, 01:44 PM
In. Tippett Franklin.
Out Pyke BJ

Agree as well.

LRT is in poor form atm, and offers no more than Reid, for example, as a backup ruckman. Derickx can play 90% of the game in the ruck a la Goldstein and Minson.

It's worth noting that the best quarter against Hawthorn this year was Essendon's 3rd qtr 6 goals nil after they lost sole ruckman Paddy Ryder to injury. Once they didn't have a ruckman in the game they were killing the Hawks around the ground. Is there a lesson here?

dimelb
4th May 2014, 02:02 PM
Agree as well.

LRT is in poor form atm, and offers no more than Reid, for example, as a backup ruckman. Derickx can play 90% of the game in the ruck a la Goldstein and Minson.

It's worth noting that the best quarter against Hawthorn this year was Essendon's 3rd qtr 6 goals nil after they lost sole ruckman Paddy Ryder to injury. Once they didn't have a ruckman in the game they were killing the Hawks around the ground. Is there a lesson here?

Yes, that's real food for thought isn't it? So is the fact that they didn't seem able to keep it going.

MattW
4th May 2014, 02:12 PM
Yep Tippett, Franklin for BJ, Pyke, unless they want to bring LRT in to support Derickx, with Laidler out. Laidler has been improving nicely and with Tippett and Franklin back we are already pretty tall; however, if Derickx gets injured we'd be stuffed, so they may. Tough call.

Captain
4th May 2014, 02:17 PM
In: Tippett, Buddy
Out: Pyke, Laidler

Reid to play the swingman role. Jack the sub again.

Ampersand
4th May 2014, 02:33 PM
Reid needs to take a mark.

RogueSwan
4th May 2014, 02:34 PM
Naismith still injured?
What about Nankervis? As much as I am happy with TomD's progress I think we need another recognised ruck, not a part timer. The way TomD plays, rough and tumble, he is just as likely to injure himself as the opposition.

aguy
4th May 2014, 02:42 PM
Reid needs to take a mark.

According to the comentators it takes time to remember how to take marks when you come back from an injury ????

Matt80
4th May 2014, 02:57 PM
Naismith still injured?
What about Nankervis? As much as I am happy with TomD's progress I think we need another recognised ruck, not a part timer. The way TomD plays, rough and tumble, he is just as likely to injure himself as the opposition.

The word from some regulars who watch the reserves is that despite some good performancesToby N is not yet ready for senior AFL Football.

He is only 19, and it would be tough to throw him in against high quality ruckman like Hale and McVoy.

Depending on injures, I would like to see Toby N get a game later in the year against an opposition with a weak and depleted ruck structure.

Jeynez
4th May 2014, 04:34 PM
As was already said, I think Tippet, Franklin in for Pyke and BJ will (should) be the only changes. I don't like the idea of bringing in LRT, either way I think we'll be smashed in the hitouts, and it'll be up to Derickx and our midfield to win it once the ball hits the deck.

billyboob
4th May 2014, 04:58 PM
Laider wont be dropped. The back six is just getting it's groove on.

mcs
4th May 2014, 08:01 PM
Laider wont be dropped. The back six is just getting it's groove on.

I wouldn't touch the back 6 at the moment to be honest. I know its only been Melbourne and the Lions the last two weeks, but they are looking solid as a unit again I think.

Pyke looked okay this morning when I spotted him at Brisbane airport. But I'd fully expect we won't be seeing him next week. So its Pyke out, Tippett in for me & Buddy in for BJ (who is getting there but still raw!). It'll be unbalanced, but going tall might be our best hope of disrupting the Dawks down back, especially with Lake out. I'd like to keep BJ in there, but I can't work out how else you get both Tippett and Buddy in (assuming they are fit) without him going out.

I'm still far from convinced about Derrickx - he looks an ordinary footballer to me. But with Pyke out, he has to stay in the team.

- - - Updated - - -

As was already said, I think Tippet, Franklin in for Pyke and BJ will (should) be the only changes. I don't like the idea of bringing in LRT, either way I think we'll be smashed in the hitouts, and it'll be up to Derickx and our midfield to win it once the ball hits the deck.

Well don't you mean its up to our midfield to win it? Derickx has no ball winning presence at all once the ball hits the ground.

On-Baller
4th May 2014, 08:40 PM
I hope im wrong but i wouldnt be surprised if Goodes is out, Keiran after the game said he thought goodes did well for being on one leg and he only disposed of the ball with his left boot all night, except for set shots. Hopefully its just the old fella getting confidence in his knee but he did look proppy after the game.

mcs
4th May 2014, 09:12 PM
I hope im wrong but i wouldnt be surprised if Goodes is out, Keiran after the game said he thought goodes did well for being on one leg and he only disposed of the ball with his left boot all night, except for set shots. Hopefully its just the old fella getting confidence in his knee but he did look proppy after the game.

He certainly looked stiff this morning at the Airport so it wouldn't surprise me.

aguy
4th May 2014, 10:27 PM
He certainly looked stiff this morning at the Airport so it wouldn't surprise me.

Hope it's just general post game soreness

ernie koala
4th May 2014, 11:33 PM
IN : Tippett, Franklin

OUT : Pyke, Goodes ( he looked very sore to me)

Question mark over Malceski, who got a big corky to his upper leg/ hip area.

If he goes out, they may bring back LRT after all. That will give them another defender and a ruck back up.

boroboy
5th May 2014, 12:14 AM

We were sat only a few meters from the interchange bench. Goodsey clearly had a problem in the last quarter-was getting a lot of attention from the physio. Didn't look happy.

swanspant12
5th May 2014, 12:26 AM
In: Tippett, Buddy.

Out: Pyke, Lloyd.

Very stiff on Lloydy who I think is a really handy type going forward. Tough, good skills, clean below his knees with good pace. Unfortunately when you have Tippett and Buddy waiting in the wings someone has to be pushed out.

Tippett will have to spend alot of time in the ruck to give Derrickx a chopout. We will get turned over in the clearences with just Derrickx against Hale and McEvoy.

If were going to turnover the Hawks we have to put pressure on every one of their ball carriers and hit them on the rebound. There a super, super, football side so we'll have to be at our best to beat them but I reckon we can push them all the way if our pressure is up there. Go Bloods.

bodgie
5th May 2014, 01:42 AM
I just can't see Tippet rucking first game back after a dodgy knee and a into 2nd year of limited football. No way. Reid (out of form too) maybe. So its pretty desperate there. LRT (out of form and favour, perennial stop gap, maybe). Naismith injured(?). Nanker only 19. Big day for DerX and the midfield!

DeadlyAkkuret
5th May 2014, 08:32 AM
Tippett in for Pyke.

Concede the hitouts and just make sure the mids run as hard as ever.

Only way we can win.

mcs
5th May 2014, 09:36 AM

Very stiff on Lloydy who I think is a really handy type going forward. Tough, good skills, clean below his knees with good pace. Unfortunately when you have Tippett and Buddy waiting in the wings someone has to be pushed out.

Tippett will have to spend alot of time in the ruck to give Derrickx a chopout. We will get turned over in the clearences with just Derrickx against Hale and McEvoy.

If were going to turnover the Hawks we have to put pressure on every one of their ball carriers and hit them on the rebound. There a super, super, football side so we'll have to be at our best to beat them but I reckon we can push them all the way if our pressure is up there. Go Bloods.

That would be ridiculously stiff on Lloyd. He got 29 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles and a goal against the Lions. BJ Is the obvious one to drop out - I know he only got 2 and a bit quarters, but only had 8 disposals in that time. Lloyd deserves comfortably to keep his place.

Swanny40519
5th May 2014, 10:28 AM
If Goodes is sore they may rest him this week. I would keep Lloyd as I think he has a great future and looks better than BJ and Mitchell at the moment.

Out: Pyke, B Jack

In : Franklin, Tipppett

BobLog
5th May 2014, 10:36 AM
Cringing at thought of Longmire using Nankervis as the starting sub this week. Last time we tried a ruck as the sub we drew with Melbourne at the MCG.

Plugger46
5th May 2014, 11:15 AM
Goodesy looked to be limping for most of the second half.

In: Tippett, Franklin
Out: Goodes, Pyke

churry
5th May 2014, 11:47 AM
Cringing at thought of Longmire using Nankervis as the starting sub this week. Last time we tried a ruck as the sub we drew with Melbourne at the MCG.

What makes you think he will do this?

ScottH
5th May 2014, 12:11 PM

IF they were to use Nankervis, I doubt it would be as a Sub. Surely they would want to go with 2 Rucks all game.

Also the game you mention was our first using the sub IIRC. I'm sure Horse learnt from that.

top40
5th May 2014, 01:10 PM

According to Champion Data, Lloyd was the 4th best player on the ground. Took 29 possessions. Can't possibly drop him.

stellation
5th May 2014, 01:17 PM
According to Champion Data, Lloyd was the 4th best player on the ground. Took 29 possessions. Can't possibly drop him.
Have they announced the Round 7 Rising Star nominee yet?

Mel_C
5th May 2014, 01:23 PM
I hope that Buddy plays...not for the obvious reasons but because it will be his first game against his old side and it will better if he plays in front of a home crowd rather than in front of the feral hawks supporters.

Melbourne_Blood
5th May 2014, 01:30 PM
That young Neale from Freo won the medal for the derby , he's only 20 so I'd assume he'd be eligible and if so, would get this weeks nomination.

churry
5th May 2014, 01:43 PM
That young Neale from Freo won the medal for the derby , he's only 20 so I'd assume he'd be eligible and if so, would get this weeks nomination.

Langdon for collingwood also had a big game. 3 big performances from some young players.

liz
5th May 2014, 01:56 PM

Neale has played nearly 30 games, so will be well over the maximum of 10 at the start of the year for him to be eligible. Langdon will probably get the nomination. If Lloyd can produce something similar against Hawthorn he would be a worthy nominee.

aardvark
5th May 2014, 02:57 PM
We had 9 players over 100 fantasy footy points this week and Lloyd wasn't one of them.

Triple B
5th May 2014, 03:04 PM
We had 9 players over 100 fantasy footy points this week and Lloyd wasn't one of them.

Are you sure about that??

chuckie
5th May 2014, 03:08 PM
According to the stats from last year McEvoy was the worst performing ruckman in the league and Hale is more of a forward 2nd ruckman, so it is not like where up against a Polly Farmer so why not take a punt and go with Nankervis.
Other teams arn't afraid to play first gamers in big matches, nearly every year Essendon or Collingwood debut a player on Anzac Day and that is as big as it gets apart from september.

southsideswan
5th May 2014, 03:15 PM
Fantasy/supercoach leagues give a rough indication on how players are going. You are right Lloyd was 10th with 97 pts. If you go by the points then Lewis Jetta was above Parker, Malceski, Shaw, Bird, Goodes, McGlynn etc. and 1 point behind Rampe. From my limited knowledge, and this is definitely not a bag Jetta comment, the fantasy points should not be used to relate to real life contributions.

BobLog
5th May 2014, 03:48 PM
What makes me think Nankervis may start sub? Those close day he is not ready. He's only a teenager. LRT is out form and didn't play on the weekend. Pyke is definitely out. Tippett is coming back from injury. We use the substitute the worst in the AFL. We have used a ruck as a sub before.

ShockOfHair
5th May 2014, 05:24 PM
So, Franklin definitely out and Tippett an almost certain starter.
Franklin doubtful to face Hawks but Tippett likely - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-05-05/buddy-doubtful-tippett-likely)

Tippett in for Pyke.

Reid can burnish his credentials as the new LRT by helping Dezza in the ruck.

Ludwig
5th May 2014, 05:33 PM
According to the stats from last year McEvoy was the worst performing ruckman in the league and Hale is more of a forward 2nd ruckman, so it is not like where up against a Polly Farmer so why not take a punt and go with Nankervis.
Other teams arn't afraid to play first gamers in big matches, nearly every year Essendon or Collingwood debut a player on Anzac Day and that is as big as it gets apart from september.

Despite his size, McEvoy is not a particularly good tap ruckman, but is one of the best around the ground. He's a smart player that seems to show up at the right times to take a critical mark, a la Dean Cox.

Hale is a probably one of the best ruckmen that plays primarily as a forward and might give TD some trouble.

The way Tom plays, he just tries to negate the other ruckman as best possible. Whether he wins the hitout is irrelevant. The thing I most worry about Tom is that he might clumsily injure one of our own players.

I think Longmire's assessment of Tom was pretty accurate. He hasn't played much senior footy and still has a lot to learn, but he's not exactly young (as Longmire claims). Although I've been quite critical of him (maybe a bit unfairly), I would be ecstatic to see him raise his game to an AFL standard.

aguy
5th May 2014, 05:33 PM
And no mention about goodes either way

Meg
5th May 2014, 05:48 PM
And no mention about goodes either way

Longmire talks about Goodes near the end of the video (but it's not in the write up). The great news is that he said that Adam feels really good today after feeling a bit sore yesterday. Maybe having a shot at Eddie made Goodes feel much better!

Longmire also says Reid pulled up well. And that Pyke's hamstring is a minor strain that should only cost him a week out. Bad week to miss unfortunately for us!

aardvark
5th May 2014, 05:59 PM
Are you sure about that??

Champion Data.

Macca 135
KJ 133
JPK 130
Hanners 123
Rampe 115
Jets 114
Mal 112
Shaw 110
Parker 102
Lloyd 97:frown

Matt80
5th May 2014, 06:00 PM
Longmire talks about Goodes near the end of the video (but it's not in the write up). The great news is that he said that Adam feels really good today after feeling a bit sore yesterday. Maybe having a shot at Eddie made Goodes feel much better!

Longmire also says Reid pulled up well. And that Pyke's hamstring is a minor strain that should only cost him a week out. Bad week to miss unfortunately for us!

I'm no medico, but I think Pyke will miss against Essondon as well. You don't want to push hamstrings and missing the Essondon game will give him four weeks to get this injury right for the Geelong game.

aardvark
5th May 2014, 06:02 PM
Fantasy/supercoach leagues give a rough indication on how players are going. You are right Lloyd was 10th with 97 pts. If you go by the points then Lewis Jetta was above Parker, Malceski, Shaw, Bird, Goodes, McGlynn etc. and 1 point behind Rampe. From my limited knowledge, and this is definitely not a bag Jetta comment, the fantasy points should not be used to relate to real life contributions.

I guess what i'm saying is Lloyd had a good contribution for a new player but probably not worthy of a Rising Star nomination.

Ludwig
5th May 2014, 06:32 PM
I'm no medico, but I think Pyke will miss against Essondon as well. You don't want to push hamstrings and missing the Essondon game will give him four weeks to get this injury right for the Geelong game.

It may also depend on how Tom plays as well. If Tom can get by okay on Friday, I agree, why risk Pyke.

If Pyke were available, we most likely would have dropped Tom for Tippett. So it's just a bit of a downgrade in the ruck quality, but shouldn't have a major impact on the game if Tom can just compete like he did in the second half of the Brisbane game.

We should have an advantage in the midfield with Mitchell, Shiels and Sewell all out injured. Nonetheless, Hawthorn deserve to be heavy favourites. The only way to beat them is to bring relentless pressure, as Geelong did. Tippett can also play a big role with Lake being out. It was a long time ago, but Tippett took Shoenmakers to the cleaners in the prelim v. Adelaide, and I can't see who else can take him.

stellation
5th May 2014, 06:56 PM
I guess what i'm saying is Lloyd had a good contribution for a new player but probably not worthy of a Rising Star nomination.

They've given them out for a lot less, I don't think there would be too much harumphing (beyond him being from Sydney/us picking him up from the academy) if he picked one up if there wasn't another stand out performance.

Ludwig
5th May 2014, 07:21 PM
They've given them out for a lot less, I don't think there would be too much harumphing (beyond him being from Sydney/us picking him up from the academy) if he picked one up if there wasn't another stand out performance.

He's not from the Academy. We picked him up with our 1st rookie draft pick. Followed by Xav Richards, Rampe, Dan Robinson (who is not far behind Lloyd) and Brandon Jack. Now that's what you call a rookie draft. :surprise:

Glad he showed what all the fuss was about with his reserves performances. He's made a good start to bringing that sort of form to AFL level.

wedge.maverick
5th May 2014, 07:21 PM

According to Super Coach points it's Langdon, Kennedy-Harris and then Lloyd.

Triple B
5th May 2014, 07:27 PM
Champion Data.

Macca 135
KJ 133
JPK 130
Hanners 123
Rampe 115
Jets 114
Mal 112
Shaw 110
Parker 102

Well, if you meant Champion Data, you should have said Champion Data, not fantasy points ... lol

Reggi
5th May 2014, 07:27 PM
I reckon we should surprise Hawthorn. Drop Derickx and play Lloyd in the ruck

Triple B
5th May 2014, 07:30 PM

I know you're trying to win the silliest suggestion of the year award, but some others sheer weight of numbers has you well behind the pack...

Reggi
5th May 2014, 07:36 PM
I know you're trying to win the silliest suggestion of the year award, but some others sheer weight of numbers has you well behind the pack...
Didn't want to feel left out

Ludwig
5th May 2014, 08:12 PM

Don't want to risk one of our future stars. BUT.................................

Seriously, ROK would be a viable option. He can become our No. 1 ruckman and get his well deserved 300 game send-off. He would be like a mini-Mummy and can run all day. Remember when Jason Blake, of similar stature, killed our duel ruck combo.

aguy
5th May 2014, 08:12 PM
Didn't want to feel left out

Let's play aliir in the ruck

Untamed Snark
5th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Let's play aliir in the ruck

McGlynn

Alan
5th May 2014, 08:41 PM
Trying to put this thread back on track.

In: Towers, Tippet
Out BJ, Pyke
Sub Goodes

aguy
5th May 2014, 08:51 PM
McGlynn
Mcglynn has been suggested before

Meg
5th May 2014, 08:55 PM
Sub Goodes? Why??? Longmire said Goodes woke up today feeling 'terrific'. We need Goodes, Tippett and Reid all firing if we are to have a chance of winning.

Matt80
5th May 2014, 08:55 PM
It may also depend on how Tom plays as well. If Tom can get by okay on Friday, I agree, why risk Pyke.

If Pyke were available, we most likely would have dropped Tom for Tippett. So it's just a bit of a downgrade in the ruck quality, but shouldn't have a major impact on the game if Tom can just compete like he did in the second half of the Brisbane game.

We should have an advantage in the midfield with Mitchell, Shiels and Sewell all out injured. Nonetheless, Hawthorn deserve to be heavy favourites. The only way to beat them is to bring relentless pressure, as Geelong did. Tippett can also play a big role with Lake being out. It was a long time ago, but Tippett took Shoenmakers to the cleaners in the prelim v. Adelaide, and I can't see who else can take him.

The one I like from the Hawks is Issac Smith. Amazing running capacity and brilliant long left foot kick. Reminds me of Michael Long. We need to stop him. Hanners got the job in that qualifying final.

Tippett did kill Shoenmakers in that final. Almost dragged Adelaide into the 2012 GF on his own. Sam Reid had played well against Shoenmakers as well. We just need a key forward to drag Josh Gibson out of the game. He is an amazing 3rd man up player and one of the key forwards needs to totally sacrifice his game to do that job.

Matt80
5th May 2014, 08:59 PM

Come on Reggi! You blasted me for suggesting that Tippett could play some time in the ruck. This can't be your best solution to the ruck concern.

aguy
5th May 2014, 09:00 PM
Sub Goodes? Why??? Longmire said Goodes woke up today feeling 'terrific'. We need Goodes, Tippett and Reid all firing if we are to have a chance of winning.

Agreed. This is not a week to be blooding towers

barry
5th May 2014, 09:28 PM
Franklin will be named for promotional reasons but will be a late withdrawal.

In. Tippet, LRT.
Out. Pyke. Bj

Lrt to be 2nd ruck. Bj unlucky.

liz
5th May 2014, 10:36 PM
I think it will be a blessing in disguise if Buddy is not available this week, particularly if Tippett is. It will remove the temptation to play four tall forwards, none of whom is fully match fit (or even fully fit). At some point they all need to play together if they are to start forming a cohesive forward unit that might make us genuine contenders. And realistically, this will probably happen before they are all fit. But just not against the Hawks, putting aside the fact that there will be focus on Buddy the first time he plays against the Hawks.

If we are to beat the Hawks, the team needs to be a hard running, tackling machine that puts maximum pressure on the Hawks ball carriers and makes the most of the opportunities that come its way. Bringing both Buddy and Tippett in this week will require the dropping of a running player (unless Derrickx can ruck on his own and one becomes a Pyke replacement, or they are prepared to use Reid or Tippett for short stints in the ruck). We'll need the likes of BJ, Harry and Lloyd to run, run, and run some more to get over the Hawks this week.

Later in the season, when (hopefully) the team is a little more consistent and cohesive, we might be able to beat them but good utilisation of multiple tall forward options. I just don't think any of the evidence so far this season suggests we're close to that point right now.

aardvark
5th May 2014, 10:47 PM
Well, if you meant Champion Data, you should have said Champion Data, not fantasy points ... lol

Hmmm......Fantasy points/champion data....same thing really :sly:

Auntie.Gerald
5th May 2014, 11:11 PM
bring the hawks with who ever we line up !!!

the Swans surprised me against Freeo with their intensity across all 22 players

lets see where we are at :)

Ludwig
5th May 2014, 11:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Liz. Not good for the glitz, but we are probably better off without Buddy this week. We need to focus on the game, not Buddy.

Also agree about BJ. That little speedster, Billy Hartung, will probably get another gig and we will need the extra pace to keep up.

So probably just bringing in Tippett for Pyke would be the go.

DeadlyAkkuret
6th May 2014, 12:44 AM
Does it bother anyone else that Longmire never wants to commit to what is an obvious selection.

Instead of saying he'll "put his hand up to play" if he's fit, just say he'll play. We're not going to leave a fully fit Tippett out of the team, John.

Slade
6th May 2014, 01:46 AM
Really looking forward to this game. K Jack was a revelation up front last week and adds to our forward structure - can also swap with McGlynn if he needs a rest. I think we will win this as our mids are now working together and go deeper and will work hard to pressure the kicker.

In: Tippett, Franklin (if fit)
Out: Pyke, BJ (for Franklin)

Tom D much better in second half last week, I did not realise he had only played 6 games. Maybe LRT will come in as second ruck but I think we will only play with TD in ruck.

Their injuries really stuff up their structure, particularly in the forwards and make them containable.

hot potato
6th May 2014, 08:42 AM
Agree with Lizzie
And said it here last week , there will be lots of goal kickers without Buddy who didn't look right at the bit of training they showed.
He'll fit in eventually ...

Mountain Man
6th May 2014, 03:36 PM
Goodes as a tagger to go to Gibson - all day, everywhere

Matt80
6th May 2014, 05:04 PM
In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

LRT will be able to help down back, where they will need an extra tall and in the ruck. I don't want Laider playing against Gunston or the resting Hawks ruckman.

B.Jack can be the sub again, recognising the fact that he got over two quarters of game time last week.

Ludwig
6th May 2014, 05:16 PM
I would be disappointed to see LRT come in for Laidler, who has been solid so far in defence. LRT has been out of from and hasn't played a game in defence for a quite a long time. And he's just a makeshift ruckman anyway, not likely to do better than anyone else we throw in there. And I'm not sure why one might think LRT would do a better job on Gunston than Laidler would.

billyboob
6th May 2014, 05:21 PM
In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

LRT will be able to help down back, where they will need an extra tall and in the ruck. I don't want Laider playing against Gunston or the resting Hawks ruckman.

B.Jack can be the sub again, recognising the fact that he got over two quarters of game time last week.

Laidler needs to stay. He'll never develop the skills needed to play against the best in the league if he doesn't get the opportunity to play on them.

Matt80
6th May 2014, 05:35 PM
I would be disappointed to see LRT come in for Laidler, who has been solid so far in defence. LRT has been out of from and hasn't played a game in defence for a quite a long time. And he's just a makeshift ruckman anyway, not likely to do better than anyone else we throw in there. And I'm not sure why one might think LRT would do a better job on Gunston than Laidler would.

I think Liadler has been good, but it's about defensive match ups. Grundy to Roughead, Richards to Gunston, Rampe to Bruest, Smith to Rioli, Shaw to Puoplo. You need someone to match up against Hale or Macvoy. It's either Laidler or LRT. I would back LRT in that match up, remembering the great job he did against Tippett 18 months ago.

LRT also gives you something in the ruck. Sam Reid is not a ruckman and expecting Tom D to go the whole game against these two highly accomplished ruckmen, is to great and ask. Remember Tom D is lining up for AFL game number 9!

ernie koala
6th May 2014, 05:57 PM
I think Liadler has been good, but it's about defensive match ups. Grundy to Roughead, Richards to Gunston, Rampe to Bruest, Smith to Rioli, Shaw to Puoplo. You need someone to match up against Hale or Macvoy. It's either Laidler or LRT. I would back LRT in that match up, remembering the great job he did against Tippett 18 months ago.

LRT also gives you something in the ruck. Sam Reid is not a ruckman and expecting Tom D to go the whole game against these two highly accomplished ruckmen, is to great and ask. Remember Tom D is lining up for AFL game number 9!

I agree with this.

Reid isn't a ruckman, his body wouldn't be up to it for starters. Laidler has been going really well, but due to the need for a back up ruckman, LRT fits the bill.

It also means we can leave Reid at CHF, with Tippett deep forward, and Goodsey(if fit) floating between the 2.

goods78
6th May 2014, 06:53 PM
In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

Well reasoned Matt80 - I like the changes

aguy
6th May 2014, 07:54 PM
Nankervis got a mention in the "in the mix" article. Outside chance they mention. I'm sure he won't be selected but it's interesting to see him mentioned :)

rb4x
7th May 2014, 11:01 AM
matt80 I disagree with your matchups. Laidler would be a good match for Gunston leaving Richards on Roughead and Grundy for Hale. Derickx even if completely stuffed would be a better ruckman than LRT who has never shown anything as a ruckman. LRt has really only one position that suits him and that is as a key defender and Ted and Reg are well ahead of him now. He is now just a depth player.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 12:58 PM

LRT will be needed as a back up ruckman and the 3rd tall in the backline to cover the rucking and forward marking ability of Hale and McVoy. This will allow Grundy to play on Roughead, Richards to play on Gunston, Rampe on Breust and Smith on Cyril.

When LRT goes into the ruck, then Sam Reid can switch down back and cover the resting ruckman.

Laidler has done nothing wrong, but there is no clear match up for him this week. I certainly would no feel comfortable with him playing on Hale. He comes straight back into the team when the opposition has a smaller forward line.

Franklin's one job against the Hawks is to drag Gibson away from the play. I would not care if Franklin got no touches as long as Gibson had no influence. You would then back Tippett, Goodes and Reid to beat the remaining defenders one on one, as it's likely the Hawks won't have Lake.

I would play Cunningham as the Sub as Lloyd gives you more as a midfielder than Cunningham.

Laidler will play on Gunston.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 01:28 PM
The word from some regulars who watch the reserves is that despite some good performancesToby N is not yet ready for senior AFL Football.

He is only 19, and it would be tough to throw him in against high quality ruckman like Hale and McVoy.

Depending on injures, I would like to see Toby N get a game later in the year against an opposition with a weak and depleted ruck structure.

what is the point of playing Toby against weak or depleted opposition. that will never give us an idea of what he is capable of or more importantly it gives us a false impression.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 01:50 PM

I agree Fantasy points are bull@@@@. If you really want to rate the players have a look at what the coaches are saying. Lloydy didn't make the top 4 but certainly got mentioned. he got 29 disposals and all but two were beauties. He had an effective disposal percentage of 82.8% on 29 disposals and only Jared McVeigh was better with 88.6 on 35. Tell you anything? Tell you who he mirrors? what he has to do is learn to draw the senior players like Reid & Goodes to his kicks as they are not used to him yet. Buddy seems to know naturally what the kid will do and moves reflexively. I think the big Bud is a greater student of the game and both his opponents and team-mates than people give him credit for.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 01:53 PM
Champion Data.

Macca 135
KJ 133
JPK 130
Hanners 123
Rampe 115
Jets 114
Mal 112
Shaw 110
Parker 102

Champion Data wouldn't know if their bums were on fire.
How can a player get 29 disposals at 82.8% and only get 97. Mindboggling. Jetts got 22 at 68.2%, Shaw 27 at 77%, Kizza 26 at 65.4%. Just how do they work this figure out? By the way the play also sees Lloyd as clearly our fourth best, watch the replay, maybe Champion data should do that.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 02:03 PM

Why do you say that. He got 29 disposals at 82.8%. What is not Rising Star about that for ****'s sake! He was fourth in disposals, second in efficiency and kicked a goal. His candy dance in the BP was sensational. If this had been Gary Rohan or Tom Mitchell Aardvark you would have been spitting chips if they didn't get a nomination with those numbers. in fact Mitchell did get a nomination with those numbers and his efficiency was not as good.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 02:27 PM

I hate to tell you but Grundy ALWAYS gets the job on the resting ruck. Laidler stays on Gunston, Richards to Roughead and this will be a good match up for Teddy.

ShockOfHair
7th May 2014, 03:06 PM
We're not overflowing with choices.

Derrickx - 204cm 96kg - our entire senior ruck department for now
Tippett - 201cm 105kg - won't be risked in ruck
LRT - 194cm 92kg - excellent swingman but out of form, maybe carrying an injury
Reid - 196cm 95kg - swingman in the making, no known ruck experience
Nanko - 199cm 101kg - only played half a dozen reserves games. The biggest body available.

LRT looks the safest, especially with his defensive abilities.

Matt80
7th May 2014, 03:14 PM
I hate to tell you but Grundy ALWAYS gets the job on the resting ruck. Laidler stays on Gunston, Richards to Roughead and this will be a good match up for Teddy.

Laidler has been a good pick up, but does not have the close marking capability to go with Gunston. LRT playing down back would allow Richards to shut down Gunston. You saw how good Gunston was in the 2013 GF. He requires a full on key defender.

Bring Laidler back in when there is a smaller forward structure!

ernie koala
7th May 2014, 03:15 PM
Laidler will play on Gunston.

Not necessarily.

Rampe could also play on Gunston.

Ludwig
7th May 2014, 03:57 PM
Not necessarily.

Rampe could also play on Gunston.

I'm not sure, but I think Rampe played on Gunston a few times last year, and Gunston had good games against him. But Gunston has been playing well against lots of opposition. He's a difficult matchup because of his mobility. We really don't have an obvious matchup for him, but Laidler looks the best option. Someone like Rohan might do well, but I doubt he will be selected.

The matchups will depend on the Hawthorn selections. With Lake out, it would seem that Shoenmakers will play back, probably on Tippett, with Gibson and Stratton going with Reid and Goodes. That would leave Hawthorn playing 3 tall forwards, instead of the 4 they tend to go with when they have the personnel on board. All their other forwards take turns in the midfield, Luke Breust for example, which would make for a better matchup for Rampe.

Another option would be to play Laidler as a loose man in defence, but this setup doesn't seem to suit us, because it will probably leave Hodge in that spot for the Hawks; I think we loose that strategy.

Derickx will just have to go with McEvoy. We really don't have any other options. The Hawks will probably want to keep Hall forward as much as possible, so the backup ruckmen shouldn't be getting a whole lot of action.

Cyril has been running hot, and playing more through the midfield, so will be another big challenge for Smitty.

This is a season defining game for us. We are nearly at full strength. They've got a few key injuries. We are (technically) playing at home. They deserve to be heavy favourites, but it's a winnable game for us, and one we should win if we are serious premiership contenders. Geelong shows that it can be done.

Meg
7th May 2014, 04:17 PM
I am concerned that a night match + forecast for rain over next two days likely to mean slippery conditions. We don't play well in these circumstances as our losses this year have shown. But the best teams can adapt so we need to be able to do so as well.

magic.merkin
7th May 2014, 05:30 PM
Why do you say that. He got 29 disposals at 82.8%. What is not Rising Star about that for ****'s sake! .

It does seem it take a few good games to get a nomination. He will get there soon at this rate!

aardvark
7th May 2014, 05:55 PM
Why do you say that. He got 29 disposals at 82.8%. What is not Rising Star about that for ****'s sake! He was fourth in disposals, second in efficiency and kicked a goal. His candy dance in the BP was sensational. If this had been Gary Rohan or Tom Mitchell Aardvark you would have been spitting chips if they didn't get a nomination with those numbers. in fact Mitchell did get a nomination with those numbers and his efficiency was not as good.

I guess the AFL has a different view to you Wolfie.
Chip on Tom Langdon's shoulder serves Pies' Rising Star well - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-05/secondchance-pie-flies)

The 189cm young gun displayed terrific composure as he gathered 23 disposals ? including 10 contested ? with eight marks and four inside 50s in the Pies' 34-point triumph.

The difference I suppose is Langdon was nearly BOG where Lloyd was only our 10th best player.

dimelb
7th May 2014, 06:06 PM
I guess the AFL has a different view to you Wolfie.
Chip on Tom Langdon's shoulder serves Pies' Rising Star well - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-05/secondchance-pie-flies)

The 189cm young gun displayed terrific composure as he gathered 23 disposals ? including 10 contested ? with eight marks and four inside 50s in the Pies' 34-point triumph.

The difference I suppose is Langdon was nearly BOG where Lloyd was only our 10th best player.

Hmm. I bet he got TLM points. :D

aardvark
7th May 2014, 06:08 PM
Champion Data wouldn't know if their bums were on fire.
How can a player get 29 disposals at 82.8% and only get 97. Mindboggling. Jetts got 22 at 68.2%, Shaw 27 at 77%, Kizza 26 at 65.4%. Just how do they work this figure out? By the way the play also sees Lloyd as clearly our fourth best, watch the replay, maybe Champion data should do that.

I reckon there's an outside chance that Champion Data may know a little more about what they're doing than someone on a fans forum, still everyone's entitled to an opinion.:hmmmm2:

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. I bet he got TLM points. :D

I might have given him one.......:redface:

Reggi
7th May 2014, 06:42 PM
Neil cordy tweeted Buddy trained well he expects he will play

hot potato
7th May 2014, 07:03 PM
That's surprising, maybe he'll play 3 quarters

ernie koala
7th May 2014, 07:03 PM
Wonder who was training as a backup ruck option??

To me, that's the intriguing selection dilemma.

Meg
7th May 2014, 07:33 PM
Franklin and Tippett set to play according to Longmire after training tonight. Wow this match is now really full of excited anticipation!

Ludwig
7th May 2014, 07:34 PM
Neil Cordy is reporting that Buddy trained well and is likely to play. Didn't even have that knee bandage on, so I suppose they weren't too worried about him falling on it. Buddy has a history of playing well after little preparation.

Melbournehammer
7th May 2014, 07:47 PM
Don't we know it. Still remember the seagull game in 2011.

Melbourne_Blood
7th May 2014, 08:00 PM
The seagull game is at the front of my mind also, was supposed to be a certain out, he played and murdered us ! Hopefully he can reverse that role this week.

aguy
7th May 2014, 08:06 PM
So. Buddy and Tippett will be in. That must mean outs will be pyke and bj.

Goodes sub again maybe ??

churry
7th May 2014, 08:12 PM

Goodes sub again maybe ??

I think Goodes will play a full game if he's fit as this is a big game. Reid to play as a swingman. Anyone know who was training in the ruck? I remember Reid has trained in the ruck previously but I doubt any of the above will ruck.

Ludwig
7th May 2014, 08:20 PM
Also think BJ to go out and Goodes perhaps the sub. But will be a tough call this week.

aguy
7th May 2014, 08:23 PM
I think Goodes will play a full game if he's fit as this is a big game. Reid to play as a swingman. Anyone know who was training in the ruck? I remember Reid has trained in the ruck previously but I doubt any of the above will ruck.
I thought that goodes maybe sub with the plan to bring him on to replace one if the Talls. If we loose bj we loose the small forward unless Keiren plays that role. Who would you start as sub? If not goodes then it will likely be Lloyd or Cunningham. Cunningham has some upside as sub because his pace would be handy late in the game

Matimbo
7th May 2014, 09:02 PM
I am concerned that a night match + forecast for rain over next two days likely to mean slippery conditions. We don't play well in these circumstances as our losses this year have shown. But the best teams can adapt so we need to be able to do so as well.

Watching the weather forecast on tonight's news ... They're not predicting any rain in the western suburbs until Sun. So I'm expecting a dry track at Homebush. Fri looks to be great weather.

crackedactor
7th May 2014, 09:17 PM

Goodes sub again maybe ?? Goodsey played too well last week and so did Lloyd (29 disposals compared to the collingwood rising star on 23 disposals). But as they is a cloud on Franklin and Tippett's fitness, how about Buddy as the sub??? Bring him on about the 20 minute mark in the third quarter. That would upset Clarkson's coaching tactics.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 09:31 PM
I reckon there's an outside chance that Champion Data may know a little more about what they're doing than someone on a fans forum, still everyone's entitled to an opinion.:hmmmm2:

- - - Updated - - -

I might have given him one.......:redface:

Do they? Their figures so far have not been that impressive. They are a Sports Data entry company. Why don't you look at their stats for the game last week and tell me why on their rating they made Lloyd 10th when he had better stats & percentages (their stats) than six of the top ten? I don't think much of their player ratings at all.

MattW
7th May 2014, 09:32 PM

Doesn't look too bad, light showers on the coast.

MattW
7th May 2014, 09:36 PM
Cunningham sub.

Meg
7th May 2014, 09:38 PM
Doesn't look too bad, light showers on the coast.

I'll be delighted if my gloomy fear turns out not to be warranted. I really want to see a good football match - or at least see the Swans play a good football match!

CureTheSane
7th May 2014, 09:51 PM
I'm desperate for Buddy to play, this is part of the reason we picked him up.
Luckily the selection committee will only put him in if he's 100%,
70% would get him a run for me :wink:

aguy
7th May 2014, 09:55 PM
I'm desperate for Buddy to play, this is part of the reason we picked him up.
Luckily the selection committee will only put him in if he's 100%,
70% would get him a run for me :wink:
The way longmire was speaking both buddy and Tippett are certainties.

wolftone57
7th May 2014, 09:56 PM
In: Buddy & Tip
Out: BJ & Pykie

Tip to play out of the square. Goodsie to play in the pocket leading to the opposite side. Reid at CHF & Buddy on the roam. Although Horse might just decide to play Reid as sub. Be a bit unusual though and then it would be a question of who rucks to give Derrickx a break? But what might happen there is the forwards might share the ruck in the forwardline and Derrickx only ruck to the 50 metre line.

Matt80
7th May 2014, 09:57 PM
In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

Slight change in my team

People will say that we can't have LRT, but we need someone to play 2nd Ruck and Down Back. Reid, Tippett and Goodes don't play in the ruck at this stage.

We need Franklin to run Gibson out of the play and I'll back Reid, Goodes and Tippett to beat their men in one one contests.

Exciting!

aardvark
7th May 2014, 09:58 PM
Do they? Their figures so far have not been that impressive. They are a Sports Data entry company. Why don't you look at their stats for the game last week and tell me why on their rating they made Lloyd 10th when he had better stats & percentages (their stats) than six of the top ten? I don't think much of their player ratings at all.

I would imagine it was because he had a few more clangers and frees against than the players above him. He also didn't have any clearances, all of which effect the points tally. It works on more than total possessions and disposal effectiveness.

DamY
7th May 2014, 10:24 PM

AND I'LL FORM.... THE HEAD!!

Auntie.Gerald
7th May 2014, 10:29 PM
what if we thought of Buddy as a Forward Flanker and was only 188cm tall ?

Tipp, Reid and Goodes then as our leading talls up front doesnt seem so confusing with matchups and keeping stacks of forward pressure on a team like the Hawks

Buddy truly plays like a tall forward flanker anyway !

Auntie.Gerald
7th May 2014, 10:35 PM
Jack, Tip, Goodes
Buddy, Reid, Parker

TomD
Kennedy
McGlynn
Macca
Cunningham
Jetta

Mal, Reg, Shaw
Rampe, Ted, Smithy

Bench:

19. Birdy
20. Laidler
21. Hannes
22. LRT - I would take the risk of letting Tom play out 2.5 qtrs then bring on LRT to finish unless Tom appears to be able to keep running it out........Tippett if he can run and take marks he can certainly do a qtr in the ruck if we are desperate !!!

I think we need Laidler for man on man work against talls and third man in when needed this week given McEvoy and Hale are playing and Reidy can swing only if desperate !

Ludwig
7th May 2014, 10:39 PM
Dropping Hanners, A.G?

Auntie.Gerald
7th May 2014, 10:42 PM
@@@@ !!!!

my bad !

barry
7th May 2014, 10:54 PM
If buddy does play I can see reid being 2nd ruck. Lrt would make us too top heavy.

Meg
7th May 2014, 11:59 PM
Out: Fri night

In: Sat afternoon (when it will be 24 and sunny)

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2014, 12:22 AM
Interesting last week in a smashing some of the lighter fast players at the Hawks went ok in the disposals ie Hartung on the rise

you can see why if we want to beat a Hawthorn with their blooding of small quick players the last few years we had to develop a Cunningham for matchups and McGlynn more time in the midfield with Jetts

Rioli - 24
Smith - 29
Hill - 24
Hartung - 26
Duryea - 18
Hallahan - 18

Hale appeared to play predominantly Forward with Roughie, Gunston, Birchall......Schoenmakers which is 5 guys 193cm plus thru to 200cm..........

McEvoy had double the amount of hit outs as Hale

I sometimes forget that Gunston and Birchall are actually 193cm tall !

Doctor
8th May 2014, 12:24 AM
Whither Jake Lloyd?

ShockOfHair
8th May 2014, 12:25 AM
At least now I'm a lot clearer about Buddy's knee problem:

That dramatic hyperextension left him with vulnerability in the joint, which led to a build up of synovial fluid that formed a Baker's cyst and forced him to miss games last year.

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2014, 12:28 AM
I like Jake too.......and if the Hawks go with so many smalls again maybe you could drop Bird :) (just joking) but we need speed to go with Rioli, Hill, Smith etc......so I am very reluctant to drop HarryC

I thought Harry did a fairly good run with role against Hill Freeo.....massive challenge and slowed the effectiveness of stephen hill so maybe he could go again with one of the three above ?

its just an awesome predicament to be in i suppose when we cant decide between 4 or 5 players and how gets picked !

BTW we need height in our backline more then anything is my final call hence keeping laidler

Ampersand
8th May 2014, 01:07 AM
When are we going to accept that hit outs don't matter to clearances? Let the hawks go in top heavy. Derickx can handle the centre. Tippet the forward 50. Laidler and Goodes the back 50.

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2014, 08:38 AM
AS - i didnt finish my sentence accidentally ie i meant to say that McEvoy had twice as many hitouts as Hale showing how much Hale is playing up forward this season and hence up to 5 tall players 193cm to 200cm sitting in the Hawks forward line at anyone time.........hence me thinking match up wise it makes sense to keep Laidler who can go with a Birchall or Gunston etc

ernie koala
8th May 2014, 08:47 AM
AS - i didnt finish my sentence accidentally ie i meant to say that McEvoy had twice as many hitouts as Hale showing how much Hale is playing up forward this season and hence up to 5 tall players 193cm to 200cm sitting in the Hawks forward line at anyone time.........hence me thinking match up wise it makes sense to keep Laidler who can go with a Birchall or Gunston etc

Or bring in LRT to play defence, and do some rucking if needed.

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2014, 08:53 AM
my gut feeling is we can have both - see my above team list in an earlier post page 11 i think

Swansongster
8th May 2014, 10:17 AM
Out: Fri night

In: Sat afternoon (when it will be 24 and sunny)

And when there will be less traffic clogging up the buses.

barry
8th May 2014, 10:38 AM
We r rolling the dice playing buddy, tippet, goodes and reid together for the first time. Would have been better to tune it against a lesser opponent.

All 4 have had interupted year so far.

ernie koala
8th May 2014, 10:51 AM
We r rolling the dice playing buddy, tippet, goodes and reid together for the first time. Would have been better to tune it against a lesser opponent.

All 4 have had interupted year so far.

I agree with you here Barry.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised, if they can dominate in this, their first hit out together, in a high pressure game.. Against the No.1 team in the league.

Triple B
8th May 2014, 11:14 AM
I'll be very pleasantly surprised, if they can dominate in this, their first hit out together, in a high pressure game...

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they actually all play. I'm not normally overly skeptical, but I can't help but thinking that the extra 10K+ tickets they may sell today and tomorrow has something to do with the 'Buddy is good to go...at this stage' media line.

I'll be less skeptical when the teams are named tonight, but reserve the right to jump back into full-on skeptical mode tomorrow at 4pm when I arrive at the ground and there is an unexpected emergency or two missing when the ressies run out against the Giants...

Ludwig
8th May 2014, 11:31 AM

All 4 have had interrupted year so far.

This is true, but the fact is that our next 5 opponents are all difficult ones, so if they don't play against Hawthorn, then we have to try it against Essendon, or Geelong. So there really isn't an easy solution to this. I was hoping that they could all play Brisbane, but it wasn't to be.

On the positive side, they are all experienced players who have a pretty good idea of what to do on the footy field. Only Tippett hasn't played this year, and he showed that he can come right in after a long layoff and play well, as he did last year. Buddy is a 190 game player who has only missed one game, similar to playing after the bye, so he hasn't missed much.

Goodes, Buddy and LRT have never played a game with Tippett, and Reid only played the few minutes last year before he re-injured his quad. So there has to be some starting point where they introduce themselves to each other.

Playing all 4 big forwards is similar to the usual Hawthorn setup, such as last year when their usual setup included Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunston (so similar or our big 4). It also may force Hawthorn to play Schoenmakers as a defender, making it easier on our defence. Hawthorn have a short defence. Geelong exploited this, and hopefully we can too.

We have to trust out medical staff that if they are declared fit to play, they are truly fit to play.

goods78
8th May 2014, 11:39 AM
I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they actually all play. I'm not normally overly skeptical, but I can't help but thinking that the extra 10K+ tickets they may sell today and tomorrow has something to do with the 'Buddy is good to go...at this stage' media line.

I'll be less skeptical when the teams are named tonight, but reserve the right to jump back into full-on skeptical mode tomorrow at 4pm when I arrive at the ground and there is an unexpected emergency or two missing when the ressies run out against the Giants...

My thoughts exactly Triple B

aardvark
8th May 2014, 11:40 AM
I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they actually all play. I'm not normally overly skeptical,

I have visions of the four of them all sprawled on the bench with assorted ice packs applied to various bits of their anatomy just before 3/4 time. Hopefully i'm wrong.:frown

barry
8th May 2014, 11:48 AM
Another jab misses the mark.

The fans have spoken Mr Koala.

Ludwig
8th May 2014, 11:49 AM
I have visions of the four of them all sprawled on the bench with assorted ice packs applied to various bits of their anatomy just before 3/4 time. Hopefully i'm wrong.:frown

Matt80
8th May 2014, 12:12 PM
This is true, but the fact is that our next 5 opponents are all difficult ones, so if they don't play against Hawthorn, then we have to try it against Essendon, or Geelong. So there really isn't an easy solution to this. I was hoping that they could all play Brisbane, but it wasn't to be.

On the positive side, they are all experienced players who have a pretty good idea of what to do on the footy field. Only Tippett hasn't played this year, and he showed that he can come right in after a long layoff and play well, as he did last year. Buddy is a 190 game player who has only missed one game, similar to playing after the bye, so he hasn't missed much.

Goodes, Buddy and LRT have never played a game with Tippett, and Reid only played the few minutes last year before he re-injured his quad. So there has to be some starting point where they introduce themselves to each other.

Playing all 4 big forwards is similar to the usual Hawthorn setup, such as last year when their usual setup included Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunston (so similar or our big 4). It also may force Hawthorn to play Schoenmakers as a defender, making it easier on our defence. Hawthorn have a short defence. Geelong exploited this, and hopefully we can too.

We have to trust out medical staff that if they are declared fit to play, they are truly fit to play.

Our 4 prong attack will dominate if three things occur:

1) Our midfield and half back line gets on top.

2) One of the key attackers (probably Franklin) keeps Gibson out of the play. With Lake out, the Hawks defence will rely heavily on Gibson flying in 3rd man up. If Buddy does not compete in one contest, but neither does Gibson, our attack will dominate. I would back Tippett, Goodes, Reid against Schoenmakers, Stratton and Cheney. I think Gibson will follow Buddy wherever he goes instead of his usual preference of reading the play (which he is brilliant at).

- All attackers have got to defend well. They can't let guys like Gibson and Burchill space to pinpoint left footed kicks out of defence.

Plugger1300
8th May 2014, 12:54 PM
Sorry if someone has already covered this topic.

Who will play 2nd ruck for Tommy? Will they bring back LRT or will Sam have to pinch hit?

Industrial Fan
8th May 2014, 01:00 PM
That made me think of Winston Burchill.

Flying South
8th May 2014, 01:23 PM
Our 4 prong attack will dominate if three things occur:

1) Our midfield and half back line gets on top.

2) One of the key attackers (probably Franklin) keeps Gibson out of the play. With Lake out, the Hawks defence will rely heavily on Gibson flying in 3rd man up. If Buddy does not compete in one contest, but neither does Gibson, our attack will dominate. I would back Tippett, Goodes, Reid against Schoenmakers, Stratton and Cheney. I think Gibson will follow Buddy wherever he goes instead of his usual preference of reading the play (which he is brilliant at).

- All attackers have got to defend well. They can't let guys like Gibson and Burchill space to pinpoint left footed kicks out of defence.
Agree. It's all about applying pressure and working harder and longer then your opposition. If we apply the Geelong model of playing man on man, applying pressure all over the ground and not allow them to have numbers in defence, I think we can beat them. Making the most of our opportunities in front of goal is crucial as well.

ernie koala
8th May 2014, 01:40 PM
The fans have spoken Mr Koala.

What, like 18000 turning out, at 'White Elephant Park', for a final a few years back?

It's a dog of a ground for players and spectators alike...

All I hope, is the shameful surface won't leave us with injuries.

Slade
8th May 2014, 03:49 PM
I think we will go in with a pretty simple plan - Goodes and Tippett in the square and Reid and Buddy on the circle with the mids told to move it on quickly, relying on our forwards winning a one on one. Whoever Gibson is marking will take him away from the contest. If they try to get Gibson spare we need to add another forward to give him something to worry about. I think we will use K Jack as the small crumbing forward - a nightmare of a match up for them.

With this combination I am confident that we will win more than out fair share of one on ones even with the lack of match practice together.

Primmy
8th May 2014, 04:16 PM
14 pages and it's still 26 hours before the game starts. Well done tragics!

ugg
8th May 2014, 07:26 PM
In Tip Bud
out Pyke BJ
EMG LRT BJ towers

ShockOfHair
8th May 2014, 07:29 PM
Sydney Swans v. Hawthorn
ANZ Stadium
Friday, May 9, 2014

B N.Smith, T.Richards, D.Rampe
HB N.Malceski, H.Grundy, R.Shaw
C D.Hannebery, C.Bird, K.Jack
HF L.Jetta, L.Franklin, B.McGlynn
F H.Cunningham, A.Goodes, L.Parker
Foll T.Derickx, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
I/C J.Laidler, J.Lloyd, S.Reid, K.Tippett
Emg B.Jack, L.Roberts-Thomson, D.Towers

In: L.Franklin, K.Tippett
Out: M.Pyke (hamstring), B.Jack

Is it weird that Tippett is on the bench?

ugg
8th May 2014, 07:32 PM
Sydney Swans v. Hawthorn
ANZ Stadium
Friday, May 9, 2014

B N.Smith, T.Richards, D.Rampe
HB N.Malceski, H.Grundy, R.Shaw
C D.Hannebery, C.Bird, K.Jack
HF L.Jetta, L.Franklin, B.McGlynn
F H.Cunningham, A.Goodes, L.Parker
Foll T.Derickx, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
I/C J.Laidler, J.Lloyd, S.Reid, K.Tippett
Emg B.Jack, L.Roberts-Thomson, D.Towers

In: L.Franklin, K.Tippett
Out: M.Pyke (hamstring), B.Jack

Is it weird that Tippett is on the bench?

SUB ALERT. SUB ALERT

I guess Reid will do a little ruck unless Horse was lying and it's Tippett

Ludwig
8th May 2014, 07:40 PM
I would guess that Lloyd will be the sub. It's a huge game. All the big names will want to play.

ShockOfHair
8th May 2014, 07:45 PM
As a sub he's a bit limited isn't he? Too fragile to ruck. Won't need fresh legs to stand in the goalsquare for 20 minutes. I like the idea of pitting Tippett, Buddy, Goodes and Reid against Shoey, Stratton and Gibson.

Not that I question the wisdom of the Man They Call Horse.

mcs
8th May 2014, 07:48 PM
Interesting to see who is sub. If its Lloyd, then I think we are surely a little short on midfield rotations in the starting 21?

Hoping for a good performance and victory to celebrate getting a year older tomorrow!

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2014, 08:09 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams

love the team !!!!

Lets rock !!!!! :clap:

Matt80
8th May 2014, 08:09 PM
Wonderful that Tippett and Franklin has returned. A good news story coming out of Bondi after a challenging week for the area.

Auntie.Gerald
8th May 2014, 08:11 PM
SUB ALERT. SUB ALERT

I guess Reid will do a little ruck unless Horse was lying and it's Tippett

probably as weird as the team sheet stating that Rampe will take on Hale :) ??

Meg
8th May 2014, 08:38 PM
As an aside, I see Mumford still out injured from GWS team. This is the 4th (?) week I think.

aguy
8th May 2014, 08:53 PM
I would guess that Lloyd will be the sub. It's a huge game. All the big names will want to play.

U may be right although I suspect our midfield would be better with Lloyd playing the whole game. I wonder if they would make Reid the sub? So they can replace one of the other talls. Who knows really. I am very curious what they will do

DamY
8th May 2014, 08:57 PM
Wow great team on paper

Matt80
8th May 2014, 09:13 PM
U may be right although I suspect our midfield would be better with Lloyd playing the whole game. I wonder if they would make Reid the sub? So they can replace one of the other talls. Who knows really. I am very curious what they will do

I think it will be Lloyd that is the sub. I thought that Cunningham may be the Sub, but I think he may have a run with role on Isaac Smith!

ROK is on the outer. Has anyone seen how he is training?

I think we will line up with the four attacking talls. The Hawks have picked 4 key defenders (smaller than ours forwards) to counteract out talls.

ScottH
8th May 2014, 09:22 PM
As an aside, I see Mumford still out injured from GWS team. This is the 4th (?) week I think.

Yes, that would be a concern if he was still with us, now Pyke is out.

barry
8th May 2014, 09:40 PM

Good point. If we'd kept Mumford, who would ruck this week with him and Pyle out, and no derickx..?

Anyway. I wonder if we will see derickx stay back of centre, and when there is a ball up in the forward line, one of our tall forwards does the ruck.

DA_Swan
8th May 2014, 09:40 PM
The ground surface should be as good as it well get for us if the weather stays OK as there has not been a game of NRL played there for a couple of weeks - looking forward to a great game

ugg
8th May 2014, 09:45 PM
I think it will be Lloyd that is the sub. I thought that Cunningham may be the Sub, but I think he may have a run with role on Isaac Smith!

ROK is on the outer. Has anyone seen how he is training?

I think we will line up with the four attacking talls. The Hawks have picked 4 key defenders (smaller than ours forwards) to counteract out talls.
Some big names also missing from the emergencies. Tommy Mitchell and Gary Rohan

ernie koala
8th May 2014, 10:49 PM

I'm with you, if Lloyd is sub, which is the most probable outcome, IMO it makes us a little top heavy, one (not match fit) tall to many.

On the other hand, a firing Reid on one forward flank, and Buddy on the other, looks enticing.

I guess they'll go with that and look to bring on Lloyd for some extra run late....Assuming no injuries....(Deep breath taken)

Nico
8th May 2014, 11:48 PM
I predict that either Reid or Tippett are not ready and LRT will come in as a ruck.

ugg
8th May 2014, 11:51 PM
I predict that either Reid or Tippett are not ready and LRT will come in as a ruck.
From what I've heard, everyone named tonight is expected to play. No funny games in mind.

Auntie.Gerald
9th May 2014, 08:16 AM
unless wet and or very slippery...........its a game of chess this one re matchups !!!!

ScottH
9th May 2014, 08:42 AM
unless wet and or very slippery...........its a game of chess this one re matchups !!!!

ANZ Night game. Goes without saying!!