PDA

View Full Version : SITE NEWS - Tonight is the Night

ScottH
8th May 2014, 09:06 AM
Just letting you all know that we will go live on the new site tonight.
I don't have an exact time yet, but I'm guessing somewhere from around 11pm.

The site will be made unavailable, you will see a maintenance page.
They will sync the data for the final time.
When complete they have to point the domain to the new IP address. "Usually propagation is completed in just a few hours, but can take up to 24 hours to complete."

Hopefully Friday morning we will all be on the new server.

Unfortunately, (as I expected. I do work in IT as well) we have used up our allocated hours, so I will be charged for some additional time.
I do have funds for this.

Thanks for all your support and financial assistance.
I might start looking for a site sponsor to help out. Any takers?? Any ideas??
We don't make enough from the google ads to support the site. I could always look at ramping that up, but it is my least favoured option.

Untamed Snark
8th May 2014, 09:28 AM
Ask the Swans to sponsor us:tongue:

I'll ask my other half, he works in on line advertising & search media, he may have some suggestions
Also my PayPal account should be unknotted tonight so I can transfer some funds over

ScottH
8th May 2014, 10:05 AM
Ask the Swans to sponsor us:tongue:

I'll ask my other half, he works in on line advertising & search media, he may have some suggestions
Also my PayPal account should be unknotted tonight so I can transfer some funds over

Thanks, that would be great!!

Matimbo
8th May 2014, 11:09 AM
Scott,

Firstly, a big thank you for all your efforts in keeping this site going.

Re the finances, can you give us some idea of the scale of funding we are talking about ... toto funding required and current gap?

Good luck with the cutover. I have worked in IT as a program director and know the stress this can cause.

ScottH
8th May 2014, 02:33 PM
Scott,

Firstly, a big thank you for all your efforts in keeping this site going.

Re the finances, can you give us some idea of the scale of funding we are talking about ... toto funding required and current gap?

Good luck with the cutover. I have worked in IT as a program director and know the stress this can cause.

Yearly charges are approx $436:
Hosting: roughly $30 per month ~$360. bandwidth is a variable cost. Obviously some months are cheaper than others.
Domain: $16 per year
Plus I've also been advised to start do full site images(backups), these should cost about $5 a month in storage.
I do DB backups on a weekly basis, but not a full site backup.

Taking out roughly $100-$150 for the extra work for migration, we still have the next 10-11 months covered.
We are also doubling up on costs since last week, as we have been running 2 servers (old and New).
I have to keep the old one for at least 10 days after tonight, but I'll scale it back to the bare minimum tomorrow.

I hope that answers your question Matimbo

Cutover should be smooth. I'll be asleep when it happens hopefully.

ScottH
9th May 2014, 08:49 AM
It's done.

You should not notice any difference, except it does seem a lot faster this morning!!

BobLog
9th May 2014, 08:57 AM
Love your work.

dimelb
9th May 2014, 09:11 AM
It's done.

You should not notice any difference, except it does seem a lot faster this morning!!

I agree about the speed, and with a few more people posting than usual. It'll be interesting to see how it handles the game thread at breaks and afterwards.
Good work Scott.

ScottH
9th May 2014, 09:17 AM
I agree about the speed, and with a few more people posting than usual. It'll be interesting to see how it handles the game thread at breaks and afterwards.
Good work Scott.

Yes, Should be much better, but no guarantees.
Usually away from Sydney games are the big stress tests, or losing to GWS.

tasmania60
9th May 2014, 12:28 PM
Truly appreciate all the work you do all the best from old south melbourne supporter great what you do hope it all goes well , if you need coin just ask . Never been so in formed .

Swansongster
9th May 2014, 12:51 PM
It's done.

Thank you very muchly for your efforts Scott.

ugg
9th May 2014, 01:04 PM
It's done.

Great, I'm going to eat up double my bandwidth now.

:clap:

ScottH
9th May 2014, 01:12 PM
Great, I'm going to eat up double my bandwidth now.

:clap:

Just don't eat up RWO's!!!!!!

Thanks all for the comments

CJK
9th May 2014, 02:08 PM
Great work Scott - as always.

Just a little feedback FYI - tried to post a .gif in another thread and it only displayed as a .jpeg. Also can't delete the image when editing my post.

I'll post another .gif in a post below this one - see if it's across the board. Sure we'll live if .gifs are no more but just FYI

- - - Updated - - -

Test gif

Mads sure anit winking at no one. Fail.

ScottH
9th May 2014, 02:59 PM
Great work Scott - as always.

Just a little feedback FYI - tried to post a .gif in another thread and it only displayed as a .jpeg. Also can't delete the image when editing my post.

I'll post another .gif in a post below this one - see if it's across the board. Sure we'll live if .gifs are no more but just FYI

- - - Updated - - -

Test gif

Mads sure anit winking at no one. Fail.

OK, thanks.
Might be something I can work out.

EDIT: Actually were they working in posts before today?
I just check ROK Lobsters avatar, and it is still a working GIF

Matimbo
9th May 2014, 04:15 PM
Yearly charges are approx $436:
Hosting: roughly $30 per month ~$360. bandwidth is a variable cost. Obviously some months are cheaper than others.
Domain: $16 per year
Plus I've also been advised to start do full site images(backups), these should cost about $5 a month in storage.
I do DB backups on a weekly basis, but not a full site backup.

Taking out roughly $100-$150 for the extra work for migration, we still have the next 10-11 months covered.
We are also doubling up on costs since last week, as we have been running 2 servers (old and New).
I have to keep the old one for at least 10 days after tonight, but I'll scale it back to the bare minimum tomorrow.

To All RWO Members, at less than $500 per year in total we should be able to fund it from all us members IMO. If, say, 50 of us contribute $10 each we have it covered. That works out at less than 20 cents per week ... isn't the enjoyment you get out of this forum worth at least this much? C'mon everyone.

Scott, if you PM me the details I'm happy to send my share via PayPal. I'll put my money where my mouth is and contribute $20.

ScottH
9th May 2014, 04:17 PM
To All RWO Members, at less than $500 per year in total we should be able to fund it from all us members IMO. If, say, 50 of us contribute $10 each we have it covered. That works out at less than 20 cents per week ... isn't the enjoyment you get out of this forum worth at least this much? C'mon everyone.

Scott, if you PM me the details I'm happy to send my share via PayPal. I'll put my money where my mouth is and contribute $20.

Paypal is:

scott at redandwhiteonline dot com

Replace :
' at ' with @
' dot ' with .

Thanks

Meg
9th May 2014, 04:27 PM
Scott, an option along the lines of what Matimbo has suggested is to have an annual, voluntary subscription of, say, $10 or $15 payable each year during May (when season in full swing and RWO readership is high ). This to be advertised in a thread such as this one a couple of times during the month of May. If that doesn't raise enough then you could subsequently ask for top-up donations from those who are willing and financially able.

CJK
9th May 2014, 04:47 PM
OK, thanks.
Might be something I can work out.

EDIT: Actually were they working in posts before today?
I just check ROK Lobsters avatar, and it is still a working GIF

Were working in the past - there was a Larry David .gif used a while back when talking about the new beer options in the new Nobel

And just when I found one of that scene in Airplane/Flying High when everyone lines up to slap some sense into that hysterical woman...

ScottH
9th May 2014, 07:28 PM
Scott, an option along the lines of what Matimbo has suggested is to have an annual, voluntary subscription of, say, $10 or $15 payable each year during May (when season in full swing and RWO readership is high ). This to be advertised in a thread such as this one a couple of times during the month of May. If that doesn't raise enough then you could subsequently ask for top-up donations from those who are willing and financially able.
A good idea. Thanks Meg

Were working in the past - there was a Larry David .gif used a while back when talking about the new beer options in the new Nobel

And just when I found one of that scene in Airplane/Flying High when everyone lines up to slap some sense into that hysterical woman...

i watched that movie last week. Still get a good giggle out of it. Roger, Roger.

I'll see if I can get them working...one day.

ScottH
14th May 2014, 09:17 AM
Are we happy??
Has been almost a week.

Except for the GIFless, all seems to be working beautifully.

Meg
14th May 2014, 01:06 PM
It's great! Much faster. Really good decision to make the transition, thanks Scott.

CJK
14th May 2014, 01:45 PM
Except for the GIFless

-------------------------------------

It's great! So Fast!

EDIT - we that worked!

EDIT 2 - and now it doesn't. lol

EDIT 3 - now all on this page work. Well done Scott!

ScottH
14th May 2014, 01:57 PM

-------------------------------------

It's great! So Fast!

EDIT - we that worked!

EDIT 2 - and now it doesn't. lol

EDIT 3 - now all on this page work. Well done Scott!

NP.

I didn't change a thing. It's Magic!!!!

CJK
14th May 2014, 02:04 PM
NP.

I didn't change a thing. It's Magic!!!!

I give you all the credit!!

ScottH
14th May 2014, 02:43 PM
I give you all the credit!!

I'll TAKE IT!!
Thanks!!

Auntie.Gerald
14th May 2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Scott
just paypal'd $20
very much appreciated all your hard work and funding of this site !
I enjoy popping in most days and having a chat or viewing other comments

Ludwig
14th May 2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks Scott for all the hard work.

jono2707
14th May 2014, 10:39 PM
Hi Scott
just paypal'd $20

Ditto to all of the above.

Thanks Scott and don't be afraid to ask us all for more funds whenever required.

ScottH
15th May 2014, 11:13 AM
Hi Scott
just paypal'd $20

Ditto to all of the above.

Thanks Scott and don't be afraid to ask us all for more funds whenever required.

Thanks both!!

And thanks to a 3rd person who donated as well.

CJK
15th May 2014, 11:27 AM
Chucked in $20 as a reward for fixing the gifs!

Matimbo
15th May 2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks both!!

And thanks to a 3rd person who donated as well.

Probably me Scott. Sent $20 a couple of days ago as promised.

ScottH
15th May 2014, 08:29 PM
Probably me Scott. Sent $20 a couple of days ago as promised.

Cheers mate.
Appreciated!!

aguy
31st August 2014, 05:42 PM
Hey Scott.

Hope all is still okay with things for the hosting. Yesterday was a bummer hey.

ScottH
31st August 2014, 06:11 PM
Yeh it was a pain.

It's not the hosting now.
It's the Database. Needs to be tuned.

I've tried a few things but still no luck.

Anyone know how to tune a MYSQL DB??

Faunac8
31st August 2014, 06:17 PM
Yeh it was a pain.

It's not the hosting now.
It's the Database. Needs to be tuned.

I've tried a few things but still no luck.

Anyone know how to tune a MYSQL DB??

Is it a six or an eight cylinder?

ScottH
31st August 2014, 06:53 PM
Is it a six or an eight cylinder?

I think it is a straight 12

aguy
31st August 2014, 07:09 PM
Sorry scott can't help you there