PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Swans

wolftone57
9th May 2014, 01:03 PM
Fo all GLBTI Swans and their friends Rainbow Swans are meeting in the bar at 126 tonight pre-game & half time. If you wish to know more details check out the Facebook page. Hope this message is ok by the Moderators.

DamY
9th May 2014, 04:31 PM
Nice

jono2707
9th May 2014, 04:41 PM
I'll see if I can pop by, but my seat at ANZ is almost the furthest seat away from the members bar :(

Doctor J.
12th May 2014, 01:21 PM
Meanwhile in other news 34,000 other people choose to meet at various venues around the ground without the need to announce their sexual preference.

Spare me!!!

magic.merkin
12th May 2014, 01:30 PM
This should end well :apologetic:

aardvark
12th May 2014, 01:33 PM
Might be time to close this one :frown

Triple B
12th May 2014, 01:36 PM
When I heard some guy say there was a get-together upstairs for guys who play for the other side, I just assumed it was some sort of Hawthorn function...

Ampersand
12th May 2014, 02:19 PM
Meanwhile in other news 34,000 other people choose to meet at various venues around the ground without the need to announce their sexual preference.

Spare me!!!

Was this rude post really necessary? I've heard plenty of ignorant homophobic remarks directed at umpires and opposition players when attending games over the years. Is it really so hard to understand why GLBTI folks want a safe, supportive space with likeminded people to enjoy the footy? How does this even effect you in the slightest?

Good on you, wolftone. Ignore the haters, they are in the thankfully diminishing minority.

Untamed Snark
12th May 2014, 02:30 PM
Thanks Wolfie, I'm sure that most people, GLBTI or not appreciated the info.
Hope the gathering went well

Doctor J.
12th May 2014, 02:51 PM
Amper you missed the point. And as usual it's taken as a homophobic attack. Far from it so don't be so sensitive

Plenty of meetings and catch ups happen all around the place without highlighting that those in attendance are of a particular sexual preference.

BobLog
12th May 2014, 03:05 PM
I still can't understand how that would bother you or anyone Doctor J.

DamY
12th May 2014, 03:25 PM
"Let's close down Black Swans, blatantly rubbing it in everyone's face that they're aboriginal." I dare you to suggest that, Doctor J :)

Are you serious? If you don't like it, do what normal considerate people do and nod politely. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it

CJK
12th May 2014, 03:28 PM

Spare me!!!

What a pointless and ignorant post.

0/10 - would not read again.

BSA5
12th May 2014, 03:31 PM
Amper you missed the point. And as usual it's taken as a homophobic attack. Far from it so don't be so sensitive

Plenty of meetings and catch ups happen all around the place without highlighting that those in attendance are of a particular sexual preference.

And? Like it or not, GLBTI people are still regularly made to feel ashamed of themselves and their sexuality. Events like this serve to normalise the experience so that, further down the track, it's not necessary. It will be great when we reach that stage, but we're a long, long way yet.

DamY
12th May 2014, 03:41 PM
Doctor J does the fact it's based on sexuality bother you? Or is it all minorities? Have you considered that some people that are gay have been to AFL matches and heard supporters scream obscenities such as "(insert Swans player name here) A FAGGOT" "SWANS ARE @@@@@@@@@@S" "GO BACK TO MARDI GRAS"? These vile things were yelled out during the first week of finals last year against Hawthorn at the MCG. Having groups like Rainbow Swans offers gay people and their friends a network of people with whom they can discuss their favourite team. I'm sorry that offends you :)

jono2707
12th May 2014, 03:58 PM

Spare me!!!

Unnecessary post.

As someone who doesn't 'announce' my preferences, I still find it nice that some people go to the trouble to organise such events for people like me to meet other likeminded people.

I didn't actually attend the gathering on Friday night but I'd be keen in future. It's nice to know that other members of this community are fierce, knowledgeable and loyal Swans supporters. Why you'd see it fit to comment like you did is beyond me. Hopefully you'll learn something from the other supportive comments here.

magic.merkin
12th May 2014, 04:03 PM
Nothing good to say/add say nothing at all?

liz
12th May 2014, 04:29 PM
The purpose of this thread has been achieved - ie to let interested parties know of the meeting before Friday's game.

Don't think there is much to be gained from leaving it open, given the way the conversation has headed.