PDA

View Full Version : Coffs Harbour

LondonSwan
1st March 2003, 03:19 PM
Anyone know what is happening up there, I took a look at the aircraft they send there and if I cant stand up in it - I dont use it.

Anyone in contact with anyone at the match, why play the damn things in places like that.

Norris Lurker
1st March 2003, 04:07 PM
I haven't seen anywhere that's giving score updates. The Essendon site's doing a live (in theory, but only updating sporadically) updates of the Essendon v St Kilda trial game - it's a shame there's nothing like that for the Coffs Harbour game.
As for why play it up there - it's to promote the game up in the country. The Swans did a training development camp up there a few weeks ago; and this game's supposed to build on that.
But it is a bugger they're not playing within travelling distance from Sydney. There's nothing on today, and it's a bit quiet; and having a footy game to go to would have been great.

Rod_
1st March 2003, 04:09 PM
I have no idea, however will be happy whjen someone rings their mate in Coff s and posts a score or something........

Rod_

(I don't have any mates so I'm no help......He He Makes it easier when I go to the pub - I only have to buy on beer ......)

desredandwhite
1st March 2003, 05:39 PM
when you asked about flights to Coffs before, I looked it up and decided that I definitely wasn't going!! Just about as expensive flying to Coffs and back as Melbourne or Brisbane!

LondonSwan
2nd March 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
There's nothing on today, and it's a bit quiet; and having a footy game to go to would have been great.

Well I was placed in a hotel off Oxford Street by Qantas and I must have been on another planet to you. The wildlife was unbelievable - remind me never to hit Sydney again at this time of year.

BTW the Swans are not doing their fans any favours by playing at these regional centres. The name of the game is getting Sydney people interested.

The price wasnt the worry - it was the bloody aircraft.

Richo
2nd March 2003, 12:18 PM
Geez, it's a one off - you guys get a dozen games a year more than the north coast! There're a few aussie rules supporters up there who probably appreciate not needing to go to Sydney or Brisbane for a game.

Norris Lurker
2nd March 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by LondonSwan
Well I was placed in a hotel off Oxford Street by Qantas and I must have been on another planet to you. The wildlife was unbelievable - remind me never to hit Sydney again at this time of year. Strangely enough, within minutes of doing that post yesterday, I got an SMS from a football mate who was going in that parade. But out in the suburbs it's not quite a different planet but it was a lot quieter here in suburbia than it was around Oxford St.;)
But, bringing this (thank goodness) back to football; Richo's right - it's a good thing for developing the game up the coast. Hopefully building on the work they did at the training camp a few weeks ago. It's a long flight in a dodgy plane or an even longer drive along some even dodgier roads to get to Sydney or Brisbane, so it could be the locals' only chance to see some AFL all year. But it would have been nice if it was close enough to go to.

liz
2nd March 2003, 06:09 PM
I've heard its Canberra next weekend and then - cricket permitting - the SCG the following week. So we Sydneysiders don't really have much to complain about. And even the team hasn't had to travel too much.

Norris Lurker
2nd March 2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by lizz
and then - cricket permitting - the SCG the following week. So we Sydneysiders don't really have much to complain about. Queensland got an outright this weekend, so the final will be at the Gabba. NSW can still make it, but it won't be at the SCG - so the SCG should be available that weekend.

LondonSwan
2nd March 2003, 08:41 PM
Lizz,

I am amazed that you think Canberra is in Sydney ;). But realistically, I agree that it is okay for the bushies to get a look in and the fact that they got 2700+ is a fair crowd. According to M it is about par for a WAFL match.

We are heading up to Brisbane tomorrow and I will be trying to see a Lions training session. M has to see his future in laws. He has the hard part and has been feral for 2 days.

NML - ouch - sorry if I trod on your toes but I have never seen anything like it before and yeah I felt like I was an alien. But I will give the lads and lasses one thing they had a ball (forgive the pun).

liz
2nd March 2003, 08:44 PM
Not in Sydney, LS! - but at least a comfortable drive for anyone dying to watch some footy. Might even consider popping down there myself - if I get around to getting my car fixed this week! Certainly much more attainable than Coffs, or some of the other places in the middle of nowhere they might have been sent to play!

LondonSwan
2nd March 2003, 08:59 PM
Geez I would have thought it was a plane trip but we have to be back in Perth on Wednesday for the big day next weekend.

BTW I think I saw he who I am not allowed to mention driving past in a Black 4 WD a few minutes ago. We bowed and gave salutations. If it wasn't Him (he who I am not allowed to mention) then there is one very confused male with a terrible haircut in a black 4WD wondering why 2 blokes and a girl gave him the finger. This could get me banned. Damn!! :(

desredandwhite
2nd March 2003, 09:06 PM
Sorry Andy, you know the rules.

robbieando
3rd March 2003, 09:28 AM
Yep Sydney are playing Melbourne in Canberra next Saturday. If its true that we will play at the SCG next weekend then I'll coming up for Round 1 because why the hell can't we play just one match in Melbourne???? Pffff 5 matches.

Troy G
3rd March 2003, 10:31 AM
I think the Swans should be concentrating this year on building the game in Sydney from the Sydney AFL level up, particularly now they aren't in it! It should be promotion in Sydney at the highest scale the AFL and Swans can muster.

When the in roads are obvious to all, there will be a natural expansion north and south of Sydney eventually joining up with Canberra. There's plenty of work in Sydney (the main growth area) to be done, before the Swans and AFL look elsewhere.

This is why I was so strongly in favour of the Sydney AFL being the secondary competition. The focus for Swans fans and the Swans club has now moved to Manuka when it should be at Drummoyne and Monarch etc and it spoils years of what good work that has been done. I'm going to keep saying it, where are the kids in Sydney going to play? They won't go to the Sydney AFL now while Canberra AFL beckons! They'll be lost to Soccer and Rugby League and the Olympic sports because up until now the focus has been on development at the bottom and the top.
Coffs can choke, Sydney is on the critical list!