PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Dunkleys beef?

Plugger1300
23rd May 2014, 01:42 PM
I was reading an article in the Age this morning about Josh Dunkley. It states that his father Andrew has a strained relationship with the club.

"but it was reported last year that his father?s strained relationship with the club in recent years might affect his future"

Anyone know what has happened between the two parties?

Link for the article -
Andrew Dunkley's teenage son Josh hopes to join Swans (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/andrew-dunkleys-teenage-son-josh-hopes-to-join-swans-20140522-zrkyt.html)

Doctor J.
23rd May 2014, 01:53 PM
I was reading an article in the Age this morning about Josh Dunkley. It states that his father Andrew has a strained relationship with the club.

"but it was reported last year that his father?s strained relationship with the club in recent years might affect his future"

Anyone know what has happened between the two parties?

Link for the article -
Andrew Dunkley's teenage son Josh hopes to join Swans (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/andrew-dunkleys-teenage-son-josh-hopes-to-join-swans-20140522-zrkyt.html)

Probably more a press beat up than anything else.

Supposedly Dunks is bitter at Roosy and the club for ending his career at the end of 2002 when he apparently wanted another year. The timelines dont match. Roosy wasn't the full time coach when we played our last game in 2002, so not sure how Roosy was responsible for it, unless after announcing his retirement he had a change of heart and Roosy let him know that he was done.

The only thing Ive ever read attributable to Andrew is that he would like to see his son get into AFL footy on his own merits, rather than get there as a result of being the son of a famous footballer, and in a perfect world he would be picked up by a Vic club, which would make it easy on him due to them now living in Gippsland Victoria. Hardly sounds like a conflict with the club to me.

Anything to sell a newspaper or get a hit on an online article!

Auntie.Gerald
23rd May 2014, 03:51 PM
Baz sends champions out with a high five - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/01/1030508145137.html)

i still cant believe andrew kicked 11 goals in his career

i have never ever ever seen a worse kick of the football then Dunks

still loved him though

Gezball
23rd May 2014, 05:14 PM
My understanding (from having combed the internet last night) is that it definitely relates to Roosy. It doesn't seem conclusively clear as to what the disagreement was about but most articles suggest it was related to Dunkley's departure.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a real shame might I add. He was such a fan favourite. It's sad that he now seems to have so little affinity with the club.

Ludwig
23rd May 2014, 07:27 PM
Dunks will definitely want Josh to be drafted by the Swans instead of taking a chance that he might end up at Melbourne.

ScottH
23rd May 2014, 08:02 PM
Baz sends champions out with a high five - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/01/1030508145137.html)

i still cant believe andrew kicked 11 goals in his career

i have never ever ever seen a worse kick of the football then Dunks

still loved him though

i don't recall seeing him miss in front of goal.

Primmy
24th May 2014, 08:59 AM
i don't recall seeing him miss in front of goal. I was there, it took place right in front of me.

He was standing IN the goal square, and kicked it out on the full. (practice game at Macquarie University, circa 1997). It was brilliant.

Love the Dunks, had wonderful hands, but his kicking was legendary; he couldn't kick straight, his leg bent around from his hip in an arc.

aguy
24th May 2014, 10:40 AM
I've done that. When I was about 10. Brilliant part was that I was the worst player on my team so that day I had been made to play for the opposition because they were a player short. Everyone thought I kicked out on full on purpose but I really just shanked it.

royboy42
24th May 2014, 10:45 AM
I've done that. When I was about 10. Brilliant part was that I was the worst player on my team so that day I had been made to play for the opposition because they were a player short. Everyone thought I kicked out on full on purpose but I really just shanked it.

Love it!

Primmy
24th May 2014, 12:01 PM
On another note, if it was Roosy who made the call on Dunks, I think he may have made the right one. Heresy I know. But even the very very best players rarely stay at the top of their game by the end of their career, and many coaches have had to make the call because the player can't see truth. Dunks was never fast, but even his decision making was a bit off his last season. Still could play, no doubt. But ..... I will treasure seeing him with the ball in his hands in his last game, trying to hand it off, and the boys more or less standing there with their hands in their pockets, just egging him on. He had to kick it, much to the delight and cheers of the crowd. Good kick too.

Better to go out on a high than be remembered as not good enough any more.

Matt80
24th May 2014, 12:18 PM
Dunks will definitely want Josh to be drafted by the Swans instead of taking a chance that he might end up at Melbourne.

If Josh Dunkley said publicly before a draft "my family have issues with Paul Roos and I don't want to be drafted by Melbourne" would he get a sanction from the AFL?

annew
24th May 2014, 01:37 PM
If Josh Dunkley said publicly before a draft "my family have issues with Paul Roos and I don't want to be drafted by Melbourne" would he get a sanction from the AFL?

First of all I don't think he would get a sanction from the AFL because it wouldn't happen. If the issue was that bad then Melb wouldn't pick him. Players are picked or not picked for other things than their sporting ability, they have to be seen to fit in with the team and are put through extensive interviewing. Look at what Wingard said about it being a waste of time GWS picking him because he would only leave 2 years later.

BSA5
26th May 2014, 11:39 AM
Probably more a press beat up than anything else.

Supposedly Dunks is bitter at Roosy and the club for ending his career at the end of 2002 when he apparently wanted another year. The timelines dont match. Roosy wasn't the full time coach when we played our last game in 2002, so not sure how Roosy was responsible for it, unless after announcing his retirement he had a change of heart and Roosy let him know that he was done.

Possible that it was a more general club decision to bring in new blood, rather than Roos himself, but Roos agreed. I'm sure they'd spoken about similar things with Wallace too, and he probably agreed.

In any case, Josh has said he's keen to go to the Swans so as far as the F/S goes it's all moot.

26th May 2014, 11:57 AM
First of all I don't think he would get a sanction from the AFL because it wouldn't happen. If the issue was that bad then Melb wouldn't pick him. Players are picked or not picked for other things than their sporting ability, they have to be seen to fit in with the team and are put through extensive interviewing. Look at what Wingard said about it being a waste of time GWS picking him because he would only leave 2 years later.

Rocca & us. Didn't want to come. Drafted him anyway. Went 2 years later.