PDA

View Full Version : Changes Round 13 V PORT

ernie koala
9th June 2014, 12:03 AM
If Tippett is out injured....

IN : Pyke

OUT : Tippett

If Buddy gets a week, maybe Membrey will get his chance.

Or Lloyd gets a full game and BJ comes back in as sub.

MattW
9th June 2014, 12:07 AM
If it is Tippett and Franklin out, I really hope it's Membrey in, to increase the threat of Reid and Goodes. If only on of Tippett/Franklin out, then I agree it will be Pyke in. If neither Tippett or Franklin out, a tough one. Derickx out for Pyke, I guess.

Ludwig
9th June 2014, 12:22 AM
Whatever the case on Tippett and Buddy, I don't think both Pyke and Derickx should play in the same side. Assuming Tippett is out with a knee injury, I would bring in either BJ or Rohan to play the sub. If Buddy is out as well, then give Membrey a go.

ernie koala
9th June 2014, 12:25 AM
Whatever the case on Tippett and Buddy, I don't think both Pyke and Derickx should play in the same side. Assuming Tippett is out with a knee injury, I would bring in either BJ or Rohan to play the sub. If Buddy is out as well, then give Membrey a go.

Personally I agree with you. But I'll bet, if Tippett is out, Pyke will come in.

Matt80
9th June 2014, 12:36 AM
Out Tippett (injured), Franklin (susp)

In B. Jack, Rohan

I think against Port that speed, running power, tackling and pressure are all important. B. Jack to start and apply enormous pressure. Rohan as sub.

If against another team I would suggest Membrey but not against Port. Tom D can ruck all day against Lobbe. Reid can help in the ruck when Westoff goes in.

Goodes and Reid will have to hold down the key forward posts. I think as we saw with Reid he can be very effective when he is the key forward, without worrying about Tippett and Franklins space.

Ampersand
9th June 2014, 04:46 AM
I'm pretty hopeful that Franklin and Tippett will get through, although Franklin's knock looked near identical to the one he put on Mal last year.

Million dollar question is who matches up on Wingard. Smith seems the obvious choice.

Dosser
9th June 2014, 09:48 AM
Million dollar question is who matches up on Wingard. Smith seems the obvious choice.

Maybe Rampe for his speed, although I agree with you. However, out of left field, I wonder if Rohan would be a good match up?

Dosser
9th June 2014, 09:55 AM
Tippett was smiling and laughing after the game, so I hope that is a good sign that his injury can be managed. Of course, it could have been the morphine kicking in to ease the pain of his ligaments looking like the frayed ends of a piece of rope, but Im more of a glass half full kind of guy. :)

Auntie.Gerald
9th June 2014, 11:27 AM
I think Rampe and Smith and Shaw may get minutes on Chad

Chadwick is a stand out and lucky we are on the SCG in my opinion

sprite
9th June 2014, 01:14 PM
Bennie should also be considered doubtful, after being KO'd.

Should have a week out for concussion.

aardvark
9th June 2014, 01:33 PM
No change.:smile:

annew
9th June 2014, 05:13 PM
Franklin cleared

Mel_C
9th June 2014, 05:18 PM
Franklin cleared

Phew ????.

Ludwig
9th June 2014, 05:35 PM
I remember that it was Tippett's right knee that was injured last year and this time it was his left. So at least it's not the same injury. I was hoping we would get a report on Tippett, McGlynn and Mitchell (who I think re-injured his right ankle).

Matt80
9th June 2014, 06:18 PM
Franklin cleared. I still think they should go for a small to replace Tippett if he is injured.

Out - Tippett

In - Brandon Jack to the Subs vest

Pyke still needs another week in the reserves to work up to the fitness required to carry the ruck solo.

Doctor
9th June 2014, 08:06 PM
I can't believe anyone thought that Franklin would get suspended. There was no contact to the head and he didn't extend his arm. Perfect technique and he didn't pick on a short guy. Tippett will be fine and there will be no change to the XXII.

erica
9th June 2014, 08:28 PM
I can't believe anyone thought that Franklin would get suspended. There was no contact to the head and he didn't extend his arm. Perfect technique and he didn't pick on a short guy. Tippett will be fine and there will be no change to the XXII.

It's getting tiring each week to read the media beat-ups about whether Franklin will get suspended after each game he plays. The newspapers and the AFL's media arm seem to WANT him to be suspended. Poor bugger, playing under such breathless scrutiny each week.

RogueSwan
9th June 2014, 09:46 PM
.... Poor bugger, playing under such breathless scrutiny each week.

... And the opposition's best defender hanging off his neck each week with no umpire protection :-(

CJK
9th June 2014, 09:55 PM
Poor bugger

Not in a financial sense at least.

barry
9th June 2014, 10:04 PM
Pyke in for derickx. Lets be honest, Tom is a plodder. Hes filled in admirably, but our midfield are winning because they are roving to the opposition ruckman, not ours.

if tippet misses, id bring in membrey or towers.

ugg
9th June 2014, 11:18 PM
Towers is injured

CureTheSane
9th June 2014, 11:49 PM
Pyke in for derickx. Lets be honest, Tom is a plodder. Hes filled in admirably, but our midfield are winning because they are roving to the opposition ruckman, not ours.

if tippet misses, id bring in membrey or towers.

Tough on Derrickx

He's been better than that.

Doctor
9th June 2014, 11:57 PM
Tough on Derrickx

+1

Flying South
10th June 2014, 12:22 AM
Our team is so well balanced at the moment you need to replace like for like. If Tippett is out I would bring in Pyke or Nankervis at FF. If Benny is rested due to concussion than another midfielder needs to come in and I think Robinsons hardness and form deserves to be rewarded.
As for Wingard, one a bit out of left field, how about Jetta goes to him. Makes Wingard accountable and drags him out of the forward line when Jetta is on the counter attack. I would like to see him running up and down the wing all game. I think Jetta can match him aerially as well. Something to debate anyway.

graemed
10th June 2014, 12:44 AM
Our team is so well balanced at the moment you need to replace like for like. If Tippett is out I would bring in Pyke or Nankervis at FF. If Benny is rested due to concussion than another midfielder needs to come in and I think Robinsons hardness and form deserves to be rewarded.
As for Wingard, one a bit out of left field, how about Jetta goes to him. Makes Wingard accountable and drags him out of the forward line when Jetta is on the counter attack. I would like to see him running up and down the wing all game. I think Jetta can match him aerially as well. Something to debate anyway.

I agre with Pyke for Tippett its our best fit and although Trex cannot play at FF when resting, he can go to the pine when off the ball. As impressive as we have been the last month, our ruck division looked thin when he was resting and we relied on our mid-field for clearances to a losing ruckman.
An added bonus is that it frees up Sam to go head to head with Westoff, who is a real playmaker for them and a match winner against us the last time we played them.
Jetta on Wingard is interesting because although I have doubts about his concentration, Wingard is a burst player and that is Jetta's forte.
If Ben goes out I think they'll go with speed and that means B Jack or Rohan, one of whom will no doubt get the green vest.

Hartijon
10th June 2014, 07:11 AM
Curiously enough,this system seems to be working better than when we win the hitout! Why change it? Put that together with an increasing prescence around the ground ,Derickx would be unlucky to be dropped.He continues to improve each game reminding me that big guys take longer to mature as players

Auntie.Gerald
10th June 2014, 08:33 AM
i think Tom has a great advantage also this year as he is riding the wave of momentum in a very very good team

when you watch some players who have slow reaction speed or slow decision making you think they will never make it.......they appear to over think their options and too much time leads to confusion............BUT when you have a top4 team with a world class midfield that constantly communicate, well all you have to do is follow their instruction

when you watch closely most of Toms disposals are when a Swans player runs straight past him on an angled run and he simply offloads.........so far it is working !! :)

It has been invaluable to have him out there with Mike injured a lot this preseason / season and not available much - he has had a real dig

mcs
10th June 2014, 10:15 AM
Tough on Derrickx

I think its a pretty fair reflection, although one can definitely not say he hasn't put in 110%. The guy is doing an admirable job, but he still has a lot to learn in relation to the actual ruck contests, and we were handsomely smashed in the ruck on Sunday. You can't argue he hasn't been putting in a fantastic effort, but once Pyke is fully fit, and assuming we play just one ruck, the decision is a no brainer to me as to who to pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Curiously enough,this system seems to be working better than when we win the hitout! Why change it? Put that together with an increasing prescence around the ground ,Derickx would be unlucky to be dropped.He continues to improve each game reminding me that big guys take longer to mature as players

That's fair enough Hartijon, but its exceptionally hard to mount a solid argument that says Derickx is better around the ground than Pyke. Pyke holds on to a lot of marks, Derickx does not. I really like Derickx, I think he has done a lot of good in recent weeks, but his ruckwork is only ok at best, and whilst he works hard around the ground, so does a fit Pyke. He would be very unlucky to be dropped, but if Tippett is fit and Pyke is considered 100% fit, then its the decision I would make, without one hesitation.

Melbournehammer
10th June 2014, 12:38 PM
It will be fascinating on the Pyke v Derickx decision. I think a lot on here are overrating Pyke's work for us on the basis of his last quarter in 2012. He was a very good contested mark in the forward line in the first half of 2013 but when a fit mummy came back it was obvious that mummy was far and away a better footballer, covered more ground had more impact on contests and was comprehensively the better ruckman.

Pyke has his skills but his ruckwork is highly predictable for both teams - he taps directly in front of the contest about 80% of the time and he clearly at least in my opinion, struggles to run out games as the number 1 ruck. As a resting ruck he is three times the player that derickx is forward of centre, but not much better behind the ball in the traditional ruckmans position as he gets to a reasonable number of contests but is simply not as good marking the ball in those circumstances.

He is a better tap ruckman than derickx who in my view plays the game like a poor man's mummy. all heart and body and crashing into people and trying to open up passages. But as someone who is there to negate and block and scrap and scrag I would choose derickx every time because he understands his role and doesnt try to do more than that.

And I suspect pyke would have been beaten at just as many centre bounces as day and mcintosh beat derickx - our centre square work really is never very good. it is around the ground where our rucks shine best and I lean towards Pyke but not by all that much at all.

I don't think it is at all clear that pyke fits our team better than derickx, although our team absent tippett he probably does. If tippett out he comes in. If tippett plays then i lean pyke but it wouldnt take much for me to have my mind swayed.

ernie koala
10th June 2014, 12:47 PM

No thanks.

The AFLs best small defender....Nick Smith.

Will go to the AFLs best small forward....Wingard

Should be a great match up.

Plugger46
10th June 2014, 12:48 PM
Full marks to Derickx for his workrate and competitiveness. He's been useful while we've needed him but he's one of the more limited footballers I've ever seen.

Ludwig
10th June 2014, 01:18 PM
It will be fascinating on the Pyke v Derickx decision. I think a lot on here are overrating Pyke's work for us on the basis of his last quarter in 2012. He was a very good contested mark in the forward line in the first half of 2013 but when a fit mummy came back it was obvious that mummy was far and away a better footballer, covered more ground had more impact on contests and was comprehensively the better ruckman.

Pyke has his skills but his ruckwork is highly predictable for both teams - he taps directly in front of the contest about 80% of the time and he clearly at least in my opinion, struggles to run out games as the number 1 ruck. As a resting ruck he is three times the player that derickx is forward of centre, but not much better behind the ball in the traditional ruckmans position as he gets to a reasonable number of contests but is simply not as good marking the ball in those circumstances.

He is a better tap ruckman than derickx who in my view plays the game like a poor man's mummy. all heart and body and crashing into people and trying to open up passages. But as someone who is there to negate and block and scrap and scrag I would choose derickx every time because he understands his role and doesnt try to do more than that.

And I suspect pyke would have been beaten at just as many centre bounces as day and mcintosh beat derickx - our centre square work really is never very good. it is around the ground where our rucks shine best and I lean towards Pyke but not by all that much at all.

I don't think it is at all clear that pyke fits our team better than derickx, although our team absent tippett he probably does. If tippett out he comes in. If tippett plays then i lean pyke but it wouldnt take much for me to have my mind swayed.

I agree with much of your assessment, except that I rate Pyke a better ruckman than you have. I will have to watch more closely to see how predictable his tapwork is.

You might recall that there was considerable debate last year about who was the better ruckman between Mummy and Pyke. They have different techniques, but thought Pyke's ruckwork was more effective overall, despite Mummy's bollocking around the contests. The thing that tipped the scales in Pyke's favour, IMO, was his strong marking and goal kicking, something that's been absent this year.

To be fair, Pyke had an interrupted preseason and just when he seemed to be getting it together, he strained his hamstring. So we can only hope that he can return to last year's form. If he does, I rate him as a one of the better ruckman going around.

Derickx has come around more than I thought he would and has done an admirable job filling in, but I don't think he's in the same league as Pyke. Even though Tom was generally beaten by Smith, I thought it was his best game and is looking more comfortable at AFL level. His kicking is not bad at all.

I think the call on who plays this week will depend on how they look at training. I feel that regardless of whether Tippett comes up, we should only play one legit ruckman and have Reid fill in. PA only have one ruckman as well, so it's even on that account. More worried about Port's run and prefer that we have another midfielder to match their balance.

liz
10th June 2014, 01:19 PM
What Derickx has brought to the side is good endurance. He has been able to act as ruck battering ram for very long periods of games, maybe not particularly effective but at least limiting the opposition's ability to direct taps to their midfielders. That means that Reid has only needed to play short minutes in the ruck. Does Pyke have the same endurance, especially given his interrupted pre-season and now his hamstring injury?

Matt80
10th June 2014, 01:44 PM
I agree with much of your assessment, except that I rate Pyke a better ruckman than you have. I will have to watch more closely to see how predictable his tapwork is.

You might recall that there was considerable debate last year about who was the better ruckman between Mummy and Pyke. They have different techniques, but thought Pyke's ruckwork was more effective overall, despite Mummy's bollocking around the contests. The thing that tipped the scales in Pyke's favour, IMO, was his strong marking and goal kicking, something that's been absent this year.

To be fair, Pyke had an interrupted preseason and just when he seemed to be getting it together, he strained his hamstring. So we can only hope that he can return to last year's form. If he does, I rate him as a one of the better ruckman going around.

Derickx has come around more than I thought he would and has done an admirable job filling in, but I don't think he's in the same league as Pyke. Even though Tom was generally beaten by Smith, I thought it was his best game and is looking more comfortable at AFL level. His kicking is not bad at all.

I think the call on who plays this week will depend on how they look at training. I feel that regardless of whether Tippett comes up, we should only play one legit ruckman and have Reid fill in. PA only have one ruckman as well, so it's even on that account. More worried about Port's run and prefer that we have another midfielder to match their balance.

If you can't decide at who is better between Pyke and Tom D, ask yourself whether Tom D could do this against the best team in all sports?

Rugby Canada - Mike Pyke Try vs. New Zealand - 2007 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww941ba106Y)

Ludwig
10th June 2014, 01:45 PM
Does Pyke have the same endurance, especially given his interrupted pre-season and now his hamstring injury?

That's the question of the week. It's why we fans can't make determinations based on fitness and have to leave it to the medicos and coaches who are close to the situation. I'll be happy with whatever decision they arrive at.

Ludwig
10th June 2014, 01:48 PM
If you can't decide at who is better between Pyke and Tom D, ask yourself whether Tom D could do this against the best team in all sports?

Rugby Canada - Mike Pyke Try vs. New Zealand - 2007 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww941ba106Y)

I think we've all seen that one Matt. But if there was ever a question who you would pick in a rugby match, that would be the sealer. :wink:

Matt80
10th June 2014, 02:00 PM
I think we've all seen that one Matt. But if there was ever a question who you would pick in a rugby match, that would be the sealer. :wink:

You watch that highlight and you wonder why Pyke does not seen quicker on an AFL Field. That sprint was Jetta/Rohan stuff and the New Zealand outside backs could not gain metres on him.

Maybe it?s the lateral running and turning needed in AFL, maybe he was a younger man in 2007!

I?ve always thought with that pace that the Swans would have taught him to be a tall key defender instead of a ruckman.
He has made an excellent ruckman and surpassed all expectations from when he started.

Zlatorog
10th June 2014, 02:40 PM
Tippet out for 2 weeks!

CJK
10th June 2014, 02:42 PM
So Mike in for Tipo

dimelb
10th June 2014, 02:44 PM
Tippet out for 2 weeks!

Tippett to miss next two matches (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-06-10/tippett-to-miss-next-two)

shaun..
10th June 2014, 02:44 PM
Big game! But I'd prefer Membrey in for Tippo for the next two weeks. Gives him a couple to see his worth against a top team and a middle team..

ernie koala
10th June 2014, 02:53 PM
Big game! But I'd prefer Membrey in for Tippo for the next two weeks. Gives him a couple to see his worth against a top team and a middle team..

I agree with you....

But I reckon the Swans will see this as good opportunity to ease Pyke back in, playing FF and doing some ruckwork for a couple of weeks, before resuming the No.1 ruck role on Tippetts return.

So unless there is other injuries...

shaun..
10th June 2014, 03:05 PM
I agree with you....

But I reckon the Swans will see this as good opportunity to ease Pyke back in, playing FF and doing some ruckwork for a couple of weeks, before resuming the No.1 ruck role on Tippetts return.

So unless there is other injuries...

You're probably right and it seems the most logical choice but they've taken somewhat of a youth policy and rewarded reserves form.
One can only dream.. and then dream Membrey has a blinder!

Melbournehammer
10th June 2014, 03:09 PM

Not only have we all seen it, I struggle to think of any occasions where mike has definitively beaten his opponent in a one on one sprint in the past few years. As a former rugby forward I speak with open prejudice, but full back is about the one position which requires zero endurance in a rugby game. short sprints sure. repeat efforts almost never. just wander around getting the ball and kicking it to make it someone else's problem. lazy buggers.

mike on the other hand plays a good game of afl but i havent changed my views on the question at hand. in essence liz's question is the question. By playing derickx you can probably include an extra runner. Can you do that with pyke ?

churry
10th June 2014, 03:11 PM
I'd really like to see Membrey get a game as well but I think he will only come in if there is another injury this week. Lobbe is in good form and will be a tougher matchup all round this week.

Matimbo
10th June 2014, 03:15 PM
Agree with Smooch to Wingard. I'm OK with Pyke in for Tippett and playing a FF when not rucking ... I don't see this as the defining factor of the game.

The battle between 2 great midfields is obviously where it will be won and lost. Port mids are maybe not the highest profile but very good in close and on the spread ... Cornes, Ebert, Wines, Gray all playing well. I've really enjoyed watching them over the last few rounds. Hopefully to our advantage is that Polec, Boak and Monfries are all carrying ankle injuries. Interestingly, neither team's mids played that well on the weekend. I thought both did what they needed to do to win without being completely ruthless. So no reason both sides won't be primed for a big one for next weekend's blockbuster. Going to be superb to watch. Its so good being a Swans fan right now!

jono2707
10th June 2014, 03:30 PM
A forward line boasting Buddy, Goodsey, Reid and Pyke still sounds pretty good.....

Although I'd be happy to see Membrey slot in there as well, I don't think his time has yet come.

The_Jam
10th June 2014, 03:52 PM
This is going to sound crazy-sauce, but I think that in a standing-still, one-on-one marking contest Pyke is better than Tippo. Of course, I am not saying he is a better forward. Tippet is light-years ahead. But for the long bomb to the centre square....

Now I have said it, Pyke won?t mark one.

Conor_Dillon
10th June 2014, 04:08 PM
Tippett missing 'two weeks' (likely 3 given we have GWS after Port/Richmond) could be a blessing in disguise for the Port Adelaide game.
They are an absolute running juggernaut so hopefully we will replace him with a smaller player, most likely B.Jack or potentially even Membrey.
Let Reid have a run at full-forward and keep Goodesy closer to home as well...leave Buddy playing his usual role. I don't think Pyke should come in unless they decide to drop Tommy D (which would be terribly unlucky), would be a mistake to play them both, particulary given Port have the extra days break, had a soft game last week and Boak/Matty White will both be back fit and rested and ready to go.

Ludwig
10th June 2014, 04:10 PM
By playing derickx you can probably include an extra runner. Can you do that with pyke ?

Good point! I think that tips the scales in Derickx' favour this week.

I'm not against playing both this week and subbing out one in the second half. It's Cunningham's turn to be the sub, but I wanted to see both he and Lloyd in the 21 this week, especially since Harry had such a good game goal kicking.

I don't think it will happen, but given that Port don't have a tall forward line, we could consider dropping Laidler based on matchups, not form, and bring Rohan in as the sub.

DeadlyAkkuret
10th June 2014, 04:12 PM
Please not Jack. I'm sorry but he offers nothing right now.

Doctor
10th June 2014, 04:35 PM
I hope it's either Pyke or Membrey. I wouldn't like to see it go to anyone else TBH. It depends how Pykey pulled up after his run in the ressies I guess but my money would be on him.

mcs
10th June 2014, 04:48 PM

Have to agree to be honest. His last few efforts in the seniors have been a bit disappointing. i have no doubt, with hard work, he will make it like his big brother, but at this stage, I don't think he is top 22, even with injuries.

Matt80
10th June 2014, 04:51 PM
Good point! I think that tips the scales in Derickx' favour this week.

I'm not against playing both this week and subbing out one in the second half. It's Cunningham's turn to be the sub, but I wanted to see both he and Lloyd in the 21 this week, especially since Harry had such a good game goal kicking.

I don't think it will happen, but given that Port don't have a tall forward line, we could consider dropping Laidler based on matchups, not form, and bring Rohan in as the sub.

I would only play one of Pyke or Tom D. With Tippett out we could do with the extra runner. Brandon Jack could come in as Sub with Lloyd and Cunningham both starting.

A forward line of Buddy, Reid, Goodes, Cunningham and the midfield rotations would provide excellent pressure and not give the Port runners easy drive out of the backline.

MightyBloods
10th June 2014, 04:54 PM
I prefer Membrey. I'd like to see him given a chance and he offers something that Port haven't seen.

Flying South
10th June 2014, 04:59 PM
As a former rugby forward I speak with open prejudice, but full back is about the one position which requires zero endurance in a rugby game. short sprints sure. repeat efforts almost never. just wander around getting the ball and kicking it to make it someone else's problem. lazy buggers.
+1. Glory boys. Everyone knows it was us pigs that did all the work.

CJK
10th June 2014, 05:13 PM

this

Matt79
10th June 2014, 06:52 PM
IN: Pyke,Membrey
OUT: Tom.D (rest), Tippett (inj)

Time to let the young man show his wares.

Reggi
10th June 2014, 07:08 PM
Tim Membrey. Must reward form. Pyke was struggling for fitness before his injury so cannot see the point of him limping bthrought the season,; let him get fit before his return

Matt80
10th June 2014, 07:43 PM
I prefer Membrey. I'd like to see him given a chance and he offers something that Port haven't seen.

I would go for Membey for any other opposition accept Port. Port are the hardest running team in AFL history and we need an extra small with speed to match them.

Bring Membrey in for Richmond and GWS.

Ludwig
10th June 2014, 08:25 PM
I would go for Membey for any other opposition accept Port. Port are the hardest running team in AFL history and we need an extra small with speed to match them.

Bring Membrey in for Richmond and GWS.

I agree. I really want to reward Membrey too, but better against weaker opposition.

Port will be forced to go with a smaller quicker forward line as they will be bringing back White and Monfries. I don't think there's a good matchup for Laidler as he would have to take either Monfries or Gray. Although I generally would be against playing both Derickx and Pyke together, this may be the week to do it. I also expect that Westhoff will drop back a lot to help out against our tall fowards, leaving Schultz as their lone tall forward, so even Reg might be searching for a matchup.

Out: Tippett, Laidler
In: Pyke, Rohan (Sub)

Auntie.Gerald
10th June 2014, 08:41 PM
I would also say that Laidler will be doing well to keep Rohan out of the backline rotation over the next few weeks............ but gut feeling is they will keep Laidler against Port then make the change........I just feel it is too great a risk against the no 1 team in the comp to drop Laidler and tilt the balance of the backline

BUT

The upside of trying out Rohan in the backline rotation against the Tigers just makes so much sense to me..........a team that will not be able to apply the same pressure as Port no1 and secondly what might be if Rohan gels with the backline and then takes our counter attack to a whole new level !!!!

Rohan has been doing his apprenticeship and would be a seriously tough match up !

Imagine Rohan in full flight off the HBF - wow it would be Kennelly all over again..........limited downside to give Rohan a go against the Tiges.......and to potentially earn us a match winner for the remainder of the season and finals

Conor_Dillon
10th June 2014, 08:55 PM
He had 27 touches and 5 tackles in the 2s on the weekend and sat out the entire last quarter with senior emergency duties.
Combine that with 28 touches and 3 goals last week and I'd say it's a reasonable indication that his work rate has been significantly lifted and his confidence is on the up.
The coaches seem to really like him in the team so I'd say he's a decent chance to sneak in this week, albeit in the dreaded green vest.

annew
10th June 2014, 08:55 PM
Forecast rain so maybe a smaller player for Tippett

Conor_Dillon
10th June 2014, 09:00 PM
Might be more appropriate in the NEAFL thread but how exciting was that last play in the reserves highlights clip?
For those that haven't seen it Membrey pinpoints a 55m dart onto Hewett's chest from the defensive side of the wing to the attacking 50 and Hewett sidesteps then backsteps a Suns player (dare I say it, almost like that bloke in number 15) then slots it from 45 on the run. I've heard ressies watchers say George is a classy player and this confirms it.

Auntie.Gerald
10th June 2014, 09:20 PM
George is very smooth

Malceski like with his kicks and ability to hold the ball up for players to move into space

I have found him a bit slow though.........probably Parkers speed at best

Ludwig
10th June 2014, 09:21 PM
Might be more appropriate in the NEAFL thread but how exciting was that last play in the reserves highlights clip?
For those that haven't seen it Membrey pinpoints a 55m dart onto Hewett's chest from the defensive side of the wing to the attacking 50 and Hewett sidesteps then backsteps a Suns player (dare I say it, almost like that bloke in number 15) then slots it from 45 on the run. I've heard ressies watchers say George is a classy player and this confirms it.

I have a feeling we may be hearing a lot of Membrey to Hewett in the future. Hewett will be another midfield steal at pick 32 to add to Hanners and Parker. Membrey is also looking a great pick at 44 in the 2012 draft to add to Lloyd and Rampe (both in the rookie draft).

rb4x
10th June 2014, 09:42 PM
Hewett Swans Captain and wearing both Charlie and Norm in about 2019. You have heard it first here.

liz
10th June 2014, 09:59 PM
Hewett Swans Captain and wearing both Charlie and Norm in about 2019. You have heard it first here.

In 2019, Luke Parker will still be just 26-27 and in the prime of his career. Given he has exposed form and already shows plenty of leadership out on the ground, I'd be putting my money on him rather than someone yet to even debut.

Tom Mitchell will be a year younger.

Even Hanners will still be this side of 30 and is another leader in the way he plays. Not sure about the off-field side of things with him.

Nico
10th June 2014, 10:24 PM

Too soft for Port.

goods78
10th June 2014, 10:34 PM
Forecast rain.......

That's probably a bigger worry than selection! Our wet weather footy this year has been terrible.

aguy
10th June 2014, 10:47 PM
That's probably a bigger worry than selection! Our wet weather footy this year has been terrible.
I agree. I think that may go against pyke taking tippets place. Another small or medium may be better. So who it be. Bj may actually do okay in that situation or maybe membrey would work too. Hmm interesting. I'm leaning towards BJ pace and crumbling ability.

ernie koala
10th June 2014, 10:56 PM
If it's wet, I'd love to see them go with Membrey or another small, either BJ or Robinson, for the vest.

But if Horse remains his consistent self...Rain or shine, it will be Pyke coming in.

Chilcott
11th June 2014, 09:53 AM
I was very dissapointed with BJ's last senior game. He came on as the sub and within 5 minutes he was jogging to contests instead of putting in the hard yards.

I would bring in Membrey for Tippett.

desredandwhite
11th June 2014, 10:30 AM
I would expect the final ins to be something like Membrey, BJ and Pyke. Pyke to come in if it doesn't look too damp on Saturday. Membrey otherwise as reward for a string of strong performances at NEAFL level.

Of course our selection committee have always been somewhat conservative so who knows....

ugg
11th June 2014, 10:38 AM
I was very dissapointed with BJ's last senior game. He came on as the sub and within 5 minutes he was jogging to contests instead of putting in the hard yards.

I would bring in Membrey for Tippett.
True, but his last 2 NEAFL performances have been excellent.

Conor_Dillon
12th June 2014, 07:34 PM
I try not to criticise match committee decisions too often because obviously the coaches know best. But I'm going to put it out there straight away that playing Pyke and Tom D in the same team is a mistake.
We don't need Pyke to play tall forward because with Buddy, Goodes and Reid we're fine in that department. We don't need 2 genuine ruckmen because Port only have 1 who in all due respect to Lobbe, isn't a superstar.
On top of that, Port are easily the fittest and best running team in the comp so an extra runner would have been ideal.
Oh and McGlynn, one of our best endurance players, is missing.
Any other reason to play a small? Yep...the potential inclemental weather.
I'd love to know if anyone can find a positive in this selection but until then I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a late change.

Mel_C
12th June 2014, 07:36 PM
In: Pyke, B. Jack
Out: Tippett, McGlynn (fractured thumb)

longmile
12th June 2014, 07:38 PM
Poor McGlynn, always in the wars.
I think I prefer us with just the one ruckman, so it'll be interesting to see how we go

DamY
12th June 2014, 07:52 PM
I feel like Pyke won't ruck much

Conor_Dillon
12th June 2014, 07:56 PM

Then he shouldn't be in the team, once the ball hits the deck he might as well be a statue. If they wanted a forward they should have picked Membrey

ScottH
12th June 2014, 08:04 PM

I reckon he and Derrickx will be on high rotation thru the F50/ruck.

ScottH
12th June 2014, 08:19 PM
Match of the Round and totally bypassed by channel 7 Melbourne News.
Not even a mention of the ins and outs for either team.

Doctor
12th June 2014, 08:20 PM
It might be that Pyke plays forward to help Franklin, Reid & Goodes get better matchups than they would have otherwise. In the wet it does seem like a gamble though. BJ will almost certainly wear the vest.

Meg
12th June 2014, 08:24 PM
McGlynn a huge out. He has been so good this year. I am very disappointed, really wanted us to play at our best and then the winner to be whatever results.

goods78
12th June 2014, 08:25 PM
I think Horse wants to maintain the same structure and style of play with Tippo out (i.e. Pkye for Tippo). I'm just not sure its the right move if it is wet. A ruck could be a very early sub if it is not working.

DamY
12th June 2014, 08:37 PM
Yeh I'm a bit surprised BJ's in, I hope his form is back up again. I think we need pace but also need defensive pressure too. I hope we're not going in too tall with Pyke. To be fair I wouldn't be asking this if Tippo was in, I'd be more confident but Pyke's form this year has been ok. I really hope we have the right team balance, Port's probably the biggest challenge we've had year to date

Ludwig
12th June 2014, 08:46 PM
McGlynn is a big out, but is mitigated by the probable inclusion of Lloyd in the 21. I don't think it will have that big an impact on the outcome.

Pyke coming in for Tippett keeps the same structure that's worked so well over past few weeks. At a minimum, it should keep Lobbe under pressure and tie down Carlisle or Trengove to defend against a powerful marking player. We don't need him to kick any goals to win.

On the other side of the aisle, Polec is big out for them as he's provided lots of run and accurate kicking. He's been as important for Port as Benny has been for us.

Also, wonder if Angus Monfries has received a show cause notice from ASADA.

Both sides are near full strength so should be a good contest between 2 quality teams.

frankee
12th June 2014, 10:05 PM
Saturday 14 June

Summary
Min 13
Max 20
Rain clearing.

Sydney area

Partly cloudy. Rain, easing to isolated showers late in the morning, clearing in the late afternoon.

I hope BOM is right!

Auntie.Gerald
12th June 2014, 10:33 PM
My gut feeling is that on the SCG and given the running math ups of Port.........we may see TomD sub and Pyke come off the field half way thru the 3rd qtr

we already have Goodes, Reid and Bud upfront as talls which is plenty against Port me thinks and Laidler to come off the bench into the backs and push Mal into mids

ernie koala
12th June 2014, 11:52 PM
I think it will be all very predictable from Horse....He rarely throws up surprises

B Jack will be sub, as usual

Pyke and Derrickx will swap between ruck and forward.

If we don't have any injuries, B Jack will replace one of those two....That's the best scenario given we're playing the extra lumbering tall

I don't like the idea of both Pyke and Derrickx, against a running power of Port, in the 4th quarter. So hopefully one of them will be able to be subbed out.

IMO, if it's wet, or we loose a small runner early, then we are definitely one tall too many.

liz
12th June 2014, 11:53 PM
My gut feeling is that on the SCG and given the running math ups of Port.........we may see TomD sub and Pyke come off the field half way thru the 3rd qtr

we already have Goodes, Reid and Bud upfront as talls which is plenty against Port me thinks and Laidler to come off the bench into the backs and push Mal into mids

I'd be surprised. The selections are pretty conservative in the sense that they've picked players that are most likely to enable the team to maintain a similar structure to recent weeks. Pyke is the closest replacement we have for Tippett, and we know he can plonk himself in the goal square and take a contested mark. I think we'll see Pyke spend most of the first 3 quarters in the forward line, with Derickx running himself ragged in the ruck. If there is no forced earlier substitute, Derickx will probably give way to Jack late in the third / early in the fourth.

Depending on how Pyke goes (and how he pulls up), we may then see a return to a single primary ruckman next week against Richmond and a slightly more adventurous additional selection from amongst the younger players (or Rohan).

Flying South
13th June 2014, 12:13 AM
The selectors are so predictable. The inclusion of BJ is a little disappointing to me. I just feel like he has been given a number of chances this year and just hasn't taken them. Hope I'm proved wrong. I'm also hoping the choice of emergencies is a sign of some rotation in the coming weeks otherwise there will be some very disheartened ressie players that have been doing all that is asked of them.

R-1
13th June 2014, 02:03 AM
Pyke plonked in the square I think will be the go.

DeadlyAkkuret
13th June 2014, 02:19 AM
The ideal scenario would've been Membrey and Mitchell in for Tippo and McGlynn.

Jack will be sub and get three touches.

Ludwig
13th June 2014, 02:39 AM
I'm surprised that BJ has moved ahead of Rohan it seems. Maybe it had something to do with KJ's 150th and that tipped the scales in his favour. It's true that BJ hasn't done much as a sub this year, but he's had a few good weeks in the ressies.

Horse generally likes challenging the opposition with height and speed, which explains the inclusion of Pyke, who should play nearly an identical role to Tippett except that Reid will probably get out of ruck duties.

Bloody Hell
13th June 2014, 03:41 AM
I'd like to know if Mitchell was fit, would he have been picked over Jack?

Ampersand
13th June 2014, 09:24 AM
I definitely think he would have. Mitchell is very unlucky to be injured at the wrong time.

Rohan is being transitioned to a back half player so I think it makes sense to replace McGlynn with BJ who are both attacking players.

I think it is a huge mistake to bring in Pyke and leave Derrickx in the side. Even if it's not raining it'll probably be slick out there. Pyke can barely touch his knees on the run especially coming off a hammy issue. One of them should have been dropped for Membrey.

I expect Port to run over us in the final quarter so we'll need to start very strong using our height advantage and be at least 4-5 goals up at the last change.

Matt80
13th June 2014, 09:42 AM
I think Horse wants to maintain the same structure and style of play with Tippo out (i.e. Pkye for Tippo). I'm just not sure its the right move if it is wet. A ruck could be a very early sub if it is not working.

At what point are you allowed to swap an emergency for a selected player?

If there is consistent rain, I?m sure that Garry Rohan will be moved into the Subs vest with Pyke to go out. They went in too tall in the rain against North Melbourne and they won?t do that again.

Conor_Dillon
13th June 2014, 09:44 AM
Thought it was interesting watching the footage on AFL 360 last night of the Swans training yesterday, all of the 1's players (excluding emergencies) were wearing the red training jumpers and all of the reserves players had the blue kit on, Pyke was wearing the blue so make of that what you will. It was fairly extensive coverage so practically the whole playing list was featured at one stage or another.

They also had footage of Port training, specifically Boak, Monfries and White who were all picked to return from injury. Boak could barely get to 3/4 pace without a visible grimace and looked incredibly proppy, Monfries wasn't as bad but definitely not 100%.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a late change or 2 from either team, will be an intriguing pre-game.

goods78
13th June 2014, 10:53 AM
At what point are you allowed to swap an emergency for a selected player?

If there is consistent rain, I?m sure that Garry Rohan will be moved into the Subs vest with Pyke to go out. They went in too tall in the rain against North Melbourne and they won?t do that again.

I am not sure - I think you have until you run out (lots of players have gone down in warm ups). All Pyke has to say is that his hamstring has tightened up a bit. If that played out, I would prefer to keep BJ as the sub and play Gary as he gives more flexibility in the number of playing positions. In saying that, I am totally confused by reports on his reserves form!

BobLog
13th June 2014, 12:22 PM
Anybody else hearing Pyke is out and Jones to debut?

Melbourne_Blood
13th June 2014, 12:43 PM
Where you hearing this Bob ?

ugg
13th June 2014, 12:46 PM
Anybody else hearing Pyke is out and Jones to debut?
I'm pretty sure Pyke is out, but not sure whether it's young Jones or Rohan that will replace him.

BobLog
13th June 2014, 01:12 PM
Where you hearing this Bob ?

Twitter friends

Conor_Dillon
13th June 2014, 01:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Pyke is out, but not sure whether it's young Jones or Rohan that will replace him.

Would be strange if it was Jones to debut, Sydney normally make a big deal about their debutants with an official announcement and a press conference. Must be Rohan.

BobLog
13th June 2014, 01:17 PM
I would have thought Rohan as sub too. Usually a good source this one. Seems like Pyke is definitely out though. Half right so far

Matt80
13th June 2014, 01:18 PM

Is Pyke out due to weather conditions or is his hamstring injury lingering?

ugg
13th June 2014, 01:21 PM
I should clarify my earlier statement. I think they're considering Pyke as a late out depending on the weather tomorrow, and having a look at the BOM forecast that seems very likely. Nothing is confirmed yet.

CJK
13th June 2014, 01:27 PM
Twitter friends

Links?

BobLog
13th June 2014, 01:28 PM
Cheers ugg

wolftone57
13th June 2014, 06:05 PM
Can't see them bringing Zac Jones in for Pykie. Zac is a back pocket/HB. We need more a forward to replace Pykie as he was replacing Tip. Membrey would be the obvious choice, he is a goal kicker, is in great form (best last three? weeks for Twos) & is a med/tall that can play small. Zac is hard in and under but if they bring him in it will be to do a job on one of the Power smalls. That would mean someone in the backs goes out. Gazza could come in as he plays both forward and back too.

Flying South
13th June 2014, 06:10 PM
Surely if Pyke comes out, Membrey has too come in. He has to be the next forward in line. I can't see how Rohan can come in. He had a very ordinary start to the season and was sent back to the reserves and started his education as a half back/wing type player. He is still well and truly in that development phase and has hardly been smashing the NEAFL. I can't fathom why he could be considered a replacement for Tippett.

liz
13th June 2014, 06:28 PM
I am a little bewildered that some were criticising the team selection for the most obvious like-for-like replacement for Tippett by opting for Pyke, arguing that we need less height and more run / mobility against a side like Port. But once it is hinted that Pyke may make way for someone else, we now need a direct replacement for Tippett?

Even without Tippett in the team, we still have Goodes, Franklin and Reid as more than competent tall targets, plus a host of midfielders who can take a mark and kick goals.

Flying South
13th June 2014, 06:44 PM
I am a little bewildered that some were criticising the team selection for the most obvious like-for-like replacement for Tippett by opting for Pyke, arguing that we need less height and more run / mobility against a side like Port. But once it is hinted that Pyke may make way for someone else, we now need a direct replacement for Tippett?

Even without Tippett in the team, we still have Goodes, Franklin and Reid as more than competent tall targets, plus a host of midfielders who can take a mark and kick goals.
Not sure if you are referring to me Liz, so I will clarify. I like the balance of our team so I was definitely calling for like-for-like replacements. I liked Pyke coming in for Tippett, just a little disappointed with BJ for McGlynn. Felt Robinson should have been given a chance and brings a bit of mcglynn's hardness. Just saying if Pyke comes out then another forward should come in.

Ludwig
13th June 2014, 06:48 PM

Spot on. I never cared for this like for like business. We didn't hear like for like when Paul Chambers went out of the side? :rolleyes: We could never find a like for like replacement for Paul (maybe Derickx comes the closest).

If someone goes out of the side you need to reassess the situation as a whole and see which selection makes the most sense. The like for like is too mechanical.

liz
13th June 2014, 07:06 PM
Not sure if you are referring to me Liz, so I will clarify. I like the balance of our team so I was definitely calling for like-for-like replacements. I liked Pyke coming in for Tippett, just a little disappointed with BJ for McGlynn. Felt Robinson should have been given a chance and brings a bit of mcglynn's hardness. Just saying if Pyke comes out then another forward should come in.

Not really you specifically. I didn't even bother to see whether the same people complaining about the predictability of the changes were the same now complaining about the hypothetical of Jones for Pyke. It was just a general observation on the fickleness of the RWO collective.:wink:

ugg
13th June 2014, 07:08 PM
Jones may be predominantly playing as a small defender in the ressies but there's no reason he couldn't play in the midfield either. I think he has the type of game that could have an instant impact coming on as a sub so I don't think it's as illogical as some are making out that he could be the one that replace Pyke.

Ampersand
13th June 2014, 07:21 PM
Is R. O'Keefe completely off the table? He could play forward and rotate through the midfield. By all accounts his performance in the reserves has been very consistent.

Edit: Scratch that. I guess if he's not listed as an emergency then he won't be eligible for inclusion.