PDA

View Full Version : Under 18 champs on live wed 2.7.14 foxtel

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 04:19 PM
Heeney almost knocked out in the first 10mins........very groggy and had trouble getting to his feet.........just starting to get back in the game with some very accurate passes

Jack Steele playing well so far and very smooth kick

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 04:24 PM
I must say Heeney very much plays the same way Luke Parker plays in the midfield and very similar build.......and can go forward as we know like Parks does but he has stayed primarily in the midfield today so far as the 1st qtr ends

Mel_C
2nd July 2014, 04:37 PM
You can't miss him with that hair!

troyjones2525
2nd July 2014, 04:54 PM
I have seen that Steele was on the GWS Academy previously but correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he played as a top up swans player in the reserves this year? If so where does that leave him re: the draft this year? Looks quite impressive so far and was B.O.G. in a game last week.

ugg
2nd July 2014, 05:04 PM
I have seen that Steele was on the GWS Academy previously but correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he played as a top up swans player in the reserves this year?

He's played as a topup for the Giants NEAFL team.

troyjones2525
2nd July 2014, 05:30 PM
He's played as a topup for the Giants NEAFL team.

Ok thanks. Damn! Looks like a good prospect! Hopefully they don't want him and he is available in the later rounds/rookie draft! Would be great to have more quality NSW talent on the list, removes any go home factor when signing them up!

Reggi
2nd July 2014, 05:45 PM
Jack Hiscox has run a 2.77 second 20 metre which is quick

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 05:45 PM
What do you all think of Jack Hiscox in his top up games etc

He is playing today and has plenty of zip but fairly rushed on his disposal like i have noticed in the past in scrap games or toppie

The commentators mentioned he does 2.77 seconds for 20m (the record is 2.75 at the AFL draft combine)

Hiscox turning heads at Swans Academy | Sydney University Australian National Football Club - SUANFC (http://www.suanfc.com/hiscox-turning-heads-at-swans-academy)

Talented SUANFC Under 18?s player Jack Hiscox has been turning heads during the Sydney Swans Academy benchmarking program. The final session of the program, the 3km time trial, was held on Wednesday night and was where Jack separated himself from the other 100 or so Academy members.

Jack finished the trial in the blistering time of 9 minutes 40 second, 12 seconds ahead of his nearest rival. A full report and interview is available on the Swans Academy website.

Congratulations Jack. Keep up the great work. The Club looks forward to seeing your footy go to the next level again in 2013.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/inner-west/jack-jumps-to-new-level/story-fngr8ie3-1226663871624

Reggi
2nd July 2014, 06:02 PM
Hiscox was overlooked last year I thought. Would have to be a Rookie list chance with that speed.

Heeney won the Harrison medal best player in Div 2

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 06:02 PM
Heeney voted BOG

Thought he played well but a scrappy game, disposals fairly ordinary from both teams

QLD tried hard and could have got away in the 1st qtr if they nailed their oportunities

Reggi
2nd July 2014, 06:11 PM
There is a massive standard gap between Div one and Division 2

Conor_Dillon
2nd July 2014, 06:12 PM
Just a few thoughts on the overall game, was pretty scrappy with plenty of contested footy but a good win to the NSW-ACT boys after a slow start.

Heeney - The kid is a jet, was seemingly everywhere, super hard at it, great skills on both feet, clean below his knees. That aside, his most impressive attribute is his leadership, constantly providing direction to his team-mates and always the first there to celebrate a goal. Him and Mills will be a fearsome midfield duo for over a decade.

Mills - His contested footy was genius today, tough as nails and really slick with quick hands to release runners. He was always at the bottom of the pack with his head over the footy and tackled really well. Similar to Heeney though they're both pacey enough to be inside and outside mids.

Davis - Bit of a mixed bag, kicked a brilliant goal but his set shots were pretty nervous attempts. Played the entire game forward and presented well, took a few strong marks. Doesn't look overly quick but seemed to continually beat his opponent to the ball. Also has a bit of mongrel about him too which is a good combination with his touch of magic.

Hiscox - Found plenty of the ball and was a livewire up forward with his raw pace but a couple of times was selfish when he could've found a team-mate in a better position. Needs to work on the defensive side of the game.

Non-academy players that impressed were Roos and Steele, who with Heeney and Mills were the dominant mids. Roos was clean in tight and cool under pressure. Steele found plenty of the ball but looked most at home as a creative half forward, lovely right foot on him and kicked 2 good goals.

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 06:20 PM
There is a massive standard gap between Div one and Division 2

GIGANTIC !!!

The speed that Div 1 plays at and the execution of skills......let alone game awareness ..........well maybe Div 2 should be called 5th Grade

troyjones2525
2nd July 2014, 06:20 PM
Is Dunkley getting a run in this game for Vic Country?

Matt80
2nd July 2014, 06:31 PM
Just a few thoughts on the overall game, was pretty scrappy with plenty of contested footy but a good win to the NSW-ACT boys after a slow start.

Heeney - The kid is a jet, was seemingly everywhere, super hard at it, great skills on both feet, clean below his knees. That aside, his most impressive attribute is his leadership, constantly providing direction to his team-mates and always the first there to celebrate a goal. Him and Mills will be a fearsome midfield duo for over a decade.

Mills - His contested footy was genius today, tough as nails and really slick with quick hands to release runners. He was always at the bottom of the pack with his head over the footy and tackled really well. Similar to Heeney though they're both pacey enough to be inside and outside mids.

Davis - Bit of a mixed bag, kicked a brilliant goal but his set shots were pretty nervous attempts. Played the entire game forward and presented well, took a few strong marks. Doesn't look overly quick but seemed to continually beat his opponent to the ball. Also has a bit of mongrel about him too which is a good combination with his touch of magic.

Hiscox - Found plenty of the ball and was a livewire up forward with his raw pace but a couple of times was selfish when he could've found a team-mate in a better position. Needs to work on the defensive side of the game.

Non-academy players that impressed were Roos and Steele, who with Heeney and Mills were the dominant mids. Roos was clean in tight and cool under pressure. Steele found plenty of the ball but looked most at home as a creative half forward, lovely right foot on him and kicked 2 good goals.

I thought Tyler Roos was a Swans Academy player. Did his father not want nepotism to be a factor?

Maybe that why Roos did not want the Brisbane Lions job.

He looks a good player.

troyjones2525
2nd July 2014, 06:36 PM
Is Dunkley getting a run in this game for Vic Country?

I see that he had 3 disposals in the first so he obviously is playing but haven't heard his name called and not sure what number he is wearing as yet!

Conor_Dillon
2nd July 2014, 06:37 PM
I thought Tyler Roos was a Swans Academy player. Did his father not want nepotism to be a factor?

Maybe that why Roos did not want the Brisbane Lions job.

He looks a good player.

Nah not anymore because the family moved to Melbourne...got special permission to play for the Rams because he wasn't picked for Vic Metro...potential father/son for Brisbane

- - - Updated - - -

I see that he had 3 disposals in the first so he obviously is playing but haven't heard his name called and not sure what number he is wearing as yet!

26 I think

troyjones2525
2nd July 2014, 06:55 PM
Nah not anymore because the family moved to Melbourne...got special permission to play for the Rams because he wasn't picked for Vic Metro...potential father/son for Brisbane

- - - Updated - - -

26 I think

Yeah just saw him as they were walking off at half time and saw he was wearing 26. Was quiet that qtr. Hopefully a big 2nd half from him!

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 07:02 PM
interesting quote used by Ben Dixon (i think) in the commentary........ when watching the under18s..........

"if you cant find someone who reminds you of an AFL player, then they probably wont become one"

I thought that was a little narrow, but has some validity

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 07:12 PM
Kinnear Beatson now being interviewed

Kinnear agreed that there is only one out of 120 top age Academy kids from the 4 academies up and running in Brissie, sydney x 2 and GC that could be considered a first round pick

Immediately after that comment it was put to Kinnear that I think you will need to take Heeney as a first round pick given his talent and all round ability

and

Kinnear nodded :)

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Invisible%20Archive/Images/Static%20Files/2011Beatson_240a.jpg

Ludwig
2nd July 2014, 07:15 PM
interesting quote used by Ben Dixon (i think) in the commentary........ when watching the under18s..........

"if you cant find someone who reminds you of an AFL player, then they probably wont become one"

I thought that was a little narrow, but has some validity

Suppose they remind you of Paul Chambers?

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 07:32 PM
:)

probably even easier if they remind you of Paul Chapman :)

Matt80
2nd July 2014, 08:05 PM
Heeney looked a really good player. Seemed to be able to read the play extremely well.

Has he had any injury concerns?

It will be interesting to see if he gets through a whole preseason and can put himself in senior selection contention early in 2015?

stellation
2nd July 2014, 08:17 PM
Suppose they remind you of Paul Chambers?
Or, even worse Tom Derrickx, ;)

Ludwig
2nd July 2014, 08:21 PM
Don't get me started. :wink:

2nd July 2014, 08:21 PM
Heeney looked a really good player. Seemed to be able to read the play extremely well.

Has he had any injury concerns?

It will be interesting to see if he gets through a whole preseason and can put himself in senior selection contention early in 2015?

Who are you tipping out of the midfield to bring Heeney in? Ah, what a problem!

Melb Blood Bro
2nd July 2014, 10:19 PM
You can't miss him with that hair!

Judging by the number of upcoming long haired blonds, we might be known as the "Hair Bear Bunch" in a few years time.

Melb Blood Bro
2nd July 2014, 10:24 PM
What do you all think of Jack Hiscox in his top up games etc

He is playing today and has plenty of zip but fairly rushed on his disposal like i have noticed in the past in scrap games or toppie

The commentators mentioned he does 2.77 seconds for 20m (the record is 2.75 at the AFL draft combine)

Hiscox turning heads at Swans Academy | Sydney University Australian National Football Club - SUANFC (http://www.suanfc.com/hiscox-turning-heads-at-swans-academy)

Talented SUANFC Under 18?s player Jack Hiscox has been turning heads during the Sydney Swans Academy benchmarking program. The final session of the program, the 3km time trial, was held on Wednesday night and was where Jack separated himself from the other 100 or so Academy members.

Jack finished the trial in the blistering time of 9 minutes 40 second, 12 seconds ahead of his nearest rival. A full report and interview is available on the Swans Academy website.

Congratulations Jack. Keep up the great work. The Club looks forward to seeing your footy go to the next level again in 2013.

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/inner-west/jack-jumps-to-new-level/story-fngr8ie3-1226663871624)

That's a great time. He must be elite.

Nico
2nd July 2014, 10:25 PM
I must say Heeney very much plays the same way Luke Parker plays in the midfield and very similar build.......and can go forward as we know like Parks does but he has stayed primarily in the midfield today so far as the 1st qtr ends

Hope he is quicker than Parker.

Matt80
2nd July 2014, 10:32 PM
Judging by the number of upcoming long haired blonds, we might be known as the "Hair Bear Bunch" in a few years time.

We already have the "Bondi Billionaires". Will Heeney and Davis be known as the "Bondi Bargains"?

Melb Blood Bro
2nd July 2014, 10:38 PM

Aaaw, come on. He's alright.

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 11:15 PM
Im not sold on Abe as yet

I suspect he is more of a convert to a key defensive role like a Grundy but has certainly been playing alot of minutes upfront given his size in the under 18s

He has talent but i suspect that he might be more a third round or forth round pick..........all the div 1 teams have some very good talls

Auntie.Gerald
2nd July 2014, 11:25 PM

he is quicker then Parker but i think heeney is more an inside player like luke..........i just noticed we have some vision of Issac on the swans website also

Funny enough he doesnt look as physically strong in this video but he is a strong build and heavy in the legs like Parks. Heeney is 82kg and 185cm

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-07-02/swanstv-future-is-bright-for-heeney

jono2707
3rd July 2014, 12:41 AM
Heeney was good but for me didn't quite live up to the hype - he did take a few heavy knocks throughout the game though so that may have affected him a bit. But then he did top our disposals and he was hard at it so what would I know...

I was really impressed by Mills - he seemed to have more silk and did some smooth stuff whilst getting plenty of the ball - for a bottom-ager (I think?) he looks to be something to look forward to. He looks like one to get really excited about...

Conor_Dillon
3rd July 2014, 08:22 AM

He is much quicker than Luke but attacks the football in a very similar way!

Swanny40519
3rd July 2014, 10:42 AM
Why would Roos not be eligible for father/son at Swans?

liz
3rd July 2014, 11:03 AM

Didn't play enough games for Sydney and his coaching record doesn't count.

If the Roosey family had stayed in Sydney, he'd be eligible as an Academy player but it seems that despite spending several years in the Swans' Academy, the fact he's now moved to Melbourne means he's no longer eligible.

I watched young Roos play in the game against NT and while he found a fair bit of the ball, he played very outside and didn't seem to like the physical contact. In yesterday's game he was getting stuck into contests far more and looked like he might be an AFL prospect.

ugg
3rd July 2014, 11:03 AM
Roos only played 87 games for us

Matt80
3rd July 2014, 11:18 AM
Didn't play enough games for Sydney and his coaching record doesn't count.

If the Roosey family had stayed in Sydney, he'd be eligible as an Academy player but it seems that despite spending several years in the Swans' Academy, the fact he's now moved to Melbourne means he's no longer eligible.

I watched young Roos play in the game against NT and while he found a fair bit of the ball, he played very outside and didn't seem to like the physical contact. In yesterday's game he was getting stuck into contests far more and looked like he might be an AFL prospect.

How big is Roos Junior? He looked quite small on TV. He may be one of those kids who gets a late growth spurt as his father is very tall.