PDA

View Full Version : "The Eddie McGuire Effect" on the Swans

Auntie.Gerald
11th July 2014, 08:22 AM
Anne Manne - ABC Conversations with Richard Fidler (http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/07/09/4042455.htm?site=conversations)

So I was driving home from the city yesterday and I decided to flick on Conversations with Richard Fidler (ps love technology and the ability to listen to good stuff when you want and where you want)..............

So back to the story.........I chose to listen to the recent interview with Anne Manne and the subject discussed was ....."causes and implications of our increasing narcissicism"

ancient meaning "Narcissicism" - he or she who fell in love with his or her own image

As I was sitting there listening, I was thinking broadly of people I know as well as people in the public spotlight. Unfortunately I could not help but think of how Eddie is trying so hard at the moment to draw attention to his opinions. In fact Eddie is pushing his opinion probably the hardest right now that I have ever witnessed. It appears with the recent comment that Eddie made re John Longmire that he is no longer arguing about the good of the game :)

In fact he is personally attacking Longmire and the Swans via the show that is for all viewers not just for Eddie to watch replays of himself.

todays headline : Longmire won't work with me, claims Eddie

Me, me, me, me, me, me !!!

In my humble opinion Eddie McGuire has without doubt a lot of power to persuade. Eddie has a ripple affect in the AFL media, the AFL, the supporters of AFL and most importantly Sydney Swans and football in NSW. This power to express his views to millions of people like he did when cracking what he thought were jokes about Adam Goodes is such a double edged sword..........ie when he is fighting for AFL it feels right and when he is personally having a go at clubs or club people it just doesnt wash well with me and it feels like it is all about Eddie.

So my questions are:

1. Is Eddie putting Collingwood and or himself above the AFL at the moment?

2. Did the Kevin Sheedy's voice of reason have any affect on the publics opinion with his Clown Prince article?

3. Did the recent retort by Andrew Pridham educate the public or sway the publics opinion of the Swans?

4. If it appears that Swans are loosing the media battle and potentially AFL battle......Is there anything that the public or the Swans supporters can do to even out the ledger against unfair attacks

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Narcissus-Caravaggio_%281594-96%29_edited.jpg/640px-Narcissus-Caravaggio_%281594-96%29_edited.jpg

Faunac8
11th July 2014, 08:42 AM
If it appears that Swans are loosing the media battle and potentially AFL battle......Is there anything that the public or the Swans supporters can do to even out the ledger against unfair attacks

Great post very thoughtfully delivered.
I am not sure about the questions 1-3 but in regard to no 4 I always maintain you can lose as many battles as necessary to ensure you win the war. There is nothing any Swans supporter can really do to even out the ledger the best response will be to win the war on September 27 and then to be gracious in victory. After that we could potentially look forward to another 2-3 victories in premiership wars over the coming years. :)

Reggi
11th July 2014, 08:47 AM
I think Eddie has turned into "rent an outrage" I don't think he is actually getting any traction on this issue actually. Most AFL supporters want to see the game expand

Looking at Malthouses comments yesterday most people realise they need to temper their comments about us.

Whilst COLA has changed, in substance it is still here I expect the same for academies.

That said he did get off way to easily for racist comments directed at AG. I do think we need a new AFL chairman. Mike Gitzpatrick should tell him to pull his head in

He has less credibility in Melbourne than people on hear realise

chammond
11th July 2014, 10:02 AM
It's important not to over-estimate Eddie Everywhere's impact. Everything he says and does is governed by self-interest (i.e. Collingwood football club). But outside of Collingwood, he has no direct power. Everything he achieves is indirectly, by stirring the pot and making as much mischief as possible. He is not well-respected in Melbourne, but he is brilliant at attracting attention. Everyone knows he's just a Collingwood trouble-maker and shouldn't be taken seriously.
The way to deal with mavericks like Eddie is to play the man, and not engage in issues chosen by Eddie. Sheedy is well aware of this, hence the Clown Prince tag. Every time Eddie pops his head up, either ignore him or make fun of him.
The Swans best strategy should be - don't complain, don't explain, don't apologise. Tomorrow will always bring another headline and Eddie's bulldust will be gone with the wind.

ernie koala
11th July 2014, 10:31 AM
Great post Auntie.

I also listened to Richard Fidlers' interview (I love his show, he's a wonderful interviewer) with Anne Manne....I didn't think of Eddie...But I do now, he fits the bill.

dimelb
11th July 2014, 11:57 AM
Good work AG. Small correction: only one "ci" in narcissism.
But you've hit the nail on the head where Eddie is concerned. He identifies himself with Collingwood, has one white eye and one black, and is quite self-absorbed. The AFL imho should refrain from putting him in charge of anything other than Collingwood as he will always make its perceived wellbeing his first priority. His commitment to the club seems always to come before his commitment to the game.

11th July 2014, 12:21 PM
It's important not to over-estimate Eddie Everywhere's impact.

Eddie Everywhere ... involved in everything ... a finger up every pie ;)

undy
11th July 2014, 12:49 PM
And here it is again, plugger trying to spear Eddie with his crutches (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rVvSE7zSA) :clap:

shaun..
11th July 2014, 02:26 PM
I think this thread needs to be renamed "The Clown Prince Effect"

joemoore12
11th July 2014, 03:32 PM
Great thread, Auntie Gerald. The man is a walking contradiction who uses his media profile to push his own selfish agendas, mainly against the Swans. I find it ironic that his two main gripes being the COLA and the Academy, were deemed by the AFL as being two major equalisation measures, yet he claims that 'all I want is an equal competition'. The Footy Show and Triple M in particular, are blatantly used as his platforms for a constant stream of whingeing.

I continue to be astounded that the abuse of his obvious power in the media, combined with his position at Collinwood is not seen as a major conflict of interest by the AFL. I am resigned to the fact that this won't chnge and I think the Swans are taking the right approach to his Sydney-bashing: A united front in showing distain for him and his club. I could not be happier with how our club has been, and continues to be run. Let him make a clown out of himself, he's bloody good at it.

Ludwig
11th July 2014, 04:18 PM
As an equalisation measure, the AFL should have Eddie handcuffed to Brian Lake.

Auntie.Gerald
11th July 2014, 04:39 PM
:)

Mel_C
11th July 2014, 05:15 PM
As an equalisation measure, the AFL should have Eddie handcuffed to Brian Lake.

...or Ryan Crowley! His head would surely explode being stuck with him for 24 hours ????.

MomentByMoment
11th July 2014, 05:48 PM
I think this thread needs to be renamed "The Clown Prince Effect"
He is The Fat Controller.

It's time for Eddie to buy a nice big train set and retire to a life where he can be 100% in control of making the trains run on time.

Primmy
11th July 2014, 06:29 PM
Eddie is now really exposing himself to be what we think he is. A self absorbed, mean spirited, @@@@ stirring sookie lala with no redeeming grace. His way, or whaaaaa! Sob sob. Like a spoilt brat.

Unfortunately he has fooled some of the public all of the time, but I predict he is going to go too far (again) and it may be THE step too far.

joemoore12
11th July 2014, 07:38 PM
Dear Eddie,

Thank you for your continued interest in the welfare of the Sydney Swans Football Club. As always, we have taken your feedback on board. We have also decided to completely ignore your recent outlandish statements, as your opinion is as important to us as the next episode of 'The Club'. As the true 'white knight' of the football industry, your quest for true equalisation has been commendable. Well done. We would like to delve a little deeper into the astonishing effect you have had on the equalisation of the Australian Football League.

Your involvement in an AFL sanctioned 'equalisation focus group' which travelled to the USA last season was outstanding. Not at all a contradiction, the Presidents of two of the most profitable clubs in the league being at the forefront on equalization discussions. Yours, Peter Gordon's and Hawthorn's Andrew Newbold's concerted efforts to have the Cost of Living Allowance disbanded was completely unpredictable and straight out of left field. We didn't see that coming at all. The inevitability of the AFL caving in to powerbrokers such as you and your little friend Andrew, forced us into actually making the most out of this allowance and devising the single greatest recruiting coup in the game's history. Thank you Eddie. It's funny you know, the COLA was never an issue until we began to challenge and win premierships. Hmmm...

Let's take a look at the positive impact you have had on the development of the code in Queensland. Whilst so generously hosting AFL executives at a brand spanking new multi-million dollar Collingwood training facility in 2004, you decided to take the opportunity to slaughter the Brisbane Lions' location allowance. Yep, that is the same Brisbane Lions who had coincidentally, just defeated your club in successive Grand Finals. When former AFL CEO, Wayne Jackson was asked about your continued bleating on the issue, he replied with this: "The same people in club-land who grizzle about the Brisbane Lions' allowance, you don't hear them grizzling about the fact that the finals are played at the MCG," he said. " You don't hear Eddie McGuire complaining about the fact that Collingwood gets to play all its finals on its home ground." The whole point of the exercise was meant to be that it helped a club outside the heartland retain its players. Only last season, the Lions lost the core of their 1st-4th year players, due to the fact they all wanted to 'go home'. Your club was included in the savaging that took place. Yep, The Lions and football in Queensland have just gone from strength to strength since you played such a leading hand in influencing the removal of yet another equalisation measure.

Earlier this year, you were again instrumental in influencing the outcome of the equalisation tax. A tax which was intended to close the gap between the top clubs and the bottom clubs, has instead appeared to have extended the gap. Geelong President Colin Carter stated that "The taxation has been hopelessly compromised because Eddie refused to pay it," Carter said. "I don't mind the tax on footy departments but this notion of a cap of half-a-million dollars on the rich clubs is a joke. The philosophy is wrong. What we are doing is just screwing the middle class while the rich are able to get their affairs in order which is what happens in real life. To take $300,000 from us and $500,000 from Collingwood actually weakens our position against Collingwood. And for the AFL to come out at the end and say they won't be taking money for equalisation from club revenues ... what an admission of defeat. Our club supported the genuine attempt to bridge the growing divide between the clubs but now it seems that the ones that shouted the loudest have been rewarded." Well played again, Mr. McGuire.

Your recent criticisms of the Academy systems which are in place at the northern clubs have been tremendously amusing. I am sure the news that the Swans may in fact pick up a top five draft pick through this system has horrified you. Forget the draft concessions which have been in place over the past few years, this is THE big issue. A system which was designed by a committee which included Collingwood's own Derek Hine, simply must be stopped. Isn't that right, Eddie? How can these clubs develop young talent with an aim to provide more NSW and QLD kids to be drafted to club's across Australia and get away with it? Are you worried that you won't be able to pilfer these locally raised players as you did with Anthony Rocca and Darren Jolly, both Victorians who wanted to 'go home'? We understand that you are intimidated by the rise of the Swans. You should be, pal. We're bigger and better than ever and we're not going anywhere.

Finally, well done on your continued capacity to manipulate the football media. From a thinly veiled apology to Adam Goodes, which somehow was magically accepted by the general public, after your blatant racial vilification of a man with more integrity than you will ever know, to your orchestration of a puppet in the form of Damian Barrett on last night's Footy Show, your influence is indisputable. Like you, I cannot for the life of me, work out why anyone at the Swans would decline a magnificient opportunity to work alongside you. The fact that you have offended Colless, Pridham, Ireland, Goodes and now Longmire with your self-promoting nonsense would have nothing to do with it. The fact that you have continually insinuated the club has cheated in it's use of the COLA and in turn, insulted every single member of staff that has worked it's backside off to make the club the success that it is today, would have nothing to do with it either. Nope, you just continue on your one-man crusade to make all things 'equal'. By all means continue to use your 'media boys club' to stick up for you at any opportunity. We're all behind you, mate. Eddie McGuire 'the poster boy for equalisation'. Please....

Yours sincerely,

One million Swans supporters.

Ludwig
11th July 2014, 08:14 PM
Great letter Joemoore.

The Swans should make one of those games requests for next year that we don't want to play Collingwood in Sydney anymore. There could be an email campaign by the fans that they won't go to Collingwood games in Sydney until Eddie retires from football. And if they do schedule a Collingwood game in Sydney, and the attendance is down we should ask for compensation, like Eddie did for the Sunday night game v. Carlton.

We have to devise some strategy of punish Eddie for his moronic antics.

Auntie.Gerald
11th July 2014, 08:29 PM
very cool Joe !!!

very insightful !@\

Mug Punter
11th July 2014, 10:16 PM
I think Eddie is fast entering the Alan Jones category where his perceived influence grossly exceeds his actual influence.

He is entrenched but the only people who listen and really care what he says are those already in his camp already (largely Collingwood supporters but also the sycophants who rely on him for their livelihood). People have worked him out, even the Melbourne public realise he is an agent of self-interest and that the interests of his club vastly outweigh his concern for the game in general.

His will not go away, he has too many people in his corner (like Jones) but he is well on the way to becoming largely irrelevant.

Best way for the Swans to deal with him is ignore him as much as possible but respond in the strongest language possible (as recently) when he over-steps the line....

Nico
11th July 2014, 10:23 PM
Eddie is now really exposing himself to be what we think he is. A self absorbed, mean spirited, @@@@ stirring sookie lala with no redeeming grace. His way, or whaaaaa! Sob sob. Like a spoilt brat.

Unfortunately he has fooled some of the public all of the time, but I predict he is going to go too far (again) and it may be THE step too far.

Now that is a decent, classy rant Primmy. You should sleep well tonight after that. Nothing like getting it off the chest.

I especially liked the bit about Eddie exposing himself.

Nico
11th July 2014, 10:48 PM
Damian Barrett is an interesting one. Until a few years ago he had been a bit of a nobody footy reporter. Someone apparently thought they needed to pluck a bit of a nobody from the footy media to report old news on the footy show. Clearly any journo who had any semblence of notoriety was on Fox Footy. Each time I have seen Damian's little segment it appears he is making it up as he goes, or as others say, Eddie is pulling the light weight puppet's strings.

Dosser
12th July 2014, 11:11 AM
I think Eddie is fast entering the Alan Jones category where his perceived influence grossly exceeds his actual influence.

He is entrenched but the only people who listen and really care what he says are those already in his camp already (largely Collingwood supporters but also the sycophants who rely on him for their livelihood). People have worked him out, even the Melbourne public realise he is an agent of self-interest and that the interests of his club vastly outweigh his concern for the game in general.

His will not go away, he has too many people in his corner (like Jones) but he is well on the way to becoming largely irrelevant.

Best way for the Swans to deal with him is ignore him as much as possible but respond in the strongest language possible (as recently) when he over-steps the line....

You echo my own thoughts, Mug. Down here the majority of people dont take him too seriously unless they are Collingwood supporters.

baskin
12th July 2014, 12:05 PM

I tend to agree with you on this one Mug Punter. Every time any comment is made, which is against something Eddie has said, just continues to give him air. Best thing to do is give him none. The Swans, I believe operate along these lines unless they deem it necessary (usually to appease our supporters' cries for the club to do/say something).

Eddie just needs to find things to say to avoid saying anything about Collingwood's recent losses. I note he hasn't mentioned 'dud players' since his team has lost twice since that comment........

Swanny40519
12th July 2014, 01:01 PM
Damian Barrett is an interesting one. Until a few years ago he had been a bit of a nobody footy reporter. Someone apparently thought they needed to pluck a bit of a nobody from the footy media to report old news on the footy show. Clearly any journo who had any semblence of notoriety was on Fox Footy. Each time I have seen Damian's little segment it appears he is making it up as he goes, or as others say, Eddie is pulling the light weight puppet's strings.

Agree 100%.

Typical footy show/channel 9. Looking after their own people and sprouting the tyro of crap that comes out of EEM's mouth.

Eddie to James B. " Hey how about doing a bit on tonights show to put more sh.... on the Swans. Mention Horse and mention one of their stars is going to leave. Should be fun to watch the reaction - hey? "

AnnieH
13th July 2014, 02:49 AM
4. No. We don't stoop their level.
Let Eddie hate us.
Don't think for a minute that Eddie's hate doesn't spur John Longmire to be a better coach.
Actions, good actions, winning actions, speak a whole lot louder than words.

I hope we play the pies in the granny and rip them a new one.
That should shut Eddie up for summer (at least).

grarmy
13th July 2014, 09:59 AM
Some incredibly insightful views in these posts. Confirms my view that RWO members are the equal of our players. Auntie Gerald, you should be Neil Cordy.