PDA

View Full Version : Shocked (KJ move to NRL?)

juliec
4th September 2014, 11:42 AM
Tell me I am reading this wrong, just logged on to Herald Sun newspaper, headlines saying Kieran Jack not ruling out a switch to NRL sometime

swansrob
4th September 2014, 11:44 AM
It's a nothing story
Kieren Jack considers switch from AFL’s Sydney Swans to the NRL (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/kieren-jack-considers-switch-from-afls-sydney-swans-to-the-nrl/story-fndv7pj3-1227047312375)

neilfws
4th September 2014, 11:53 AM
I read the headline. Then I read what he actually said. Surprise! they don't match up. It sounds like he was having a bit of fun.

�You�d never say never, I tell you,� Jack said.

�I mean I loved rugby league as a kid, I certainly did but I�ve found a path in AFL and I�m rapt with that, but I mean I can certainly see why players do it ... it�s certainly a big challenge and there is a bit of a financial reward there but the challenge it offers these players � it can be really rewarding.�

Jack then added: �I�ll just say yes ... yes ... why not?�

churry
4th September 2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah he's probably just saying it to have a bit of a laugh with his dad.

juliec
4th September 2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks, just put my mind at ease, couldn't understand why he would be saying this on the eve of the finals, stupid me haha

desredandwhite
4th September 2014, 01:55 PM
Taken completely out of context too I'm sure. I doubt it would have been an unsolicited comment. Someone would have put a scenario to him - kieren, if the swans won the flag this year and you feel like you've achieved all you could in the afl, and if a cashed up nrl club came calling, would you be able to make the switch?

Tack his answer on to the end of that and it all sounds reasonable really.

Nothing article.

Zlatorog
4th September 2014, 01:58 PM
Don't they come up with this every year? Maybe they're hoping that more NSW guys might switch back to rugby after Hunt's departure from GC.

Nich
4th September 2014, 02:05 PM
I heard it. It was a nothing comment. A little silly though because he was clearly baited and fell for it. He should know that Matty Johns, who on many occasion has a dig at AFL, is after shots in the arm for Rugby League. He also loves a headline for his radio show. So you know, as harmless as it was, KJ unfortunately has to realise that these kind of guys/shows take advantage of your good nature for the sake of themselves.

That may sound heavy but it's the truth.

Pretty sad that you can't jump on the radio to promote a game without someone wanting to warp and twist your words around.

ScottH
4th September 2014, 02:08 PM
Taken completely out of context too I'm sure. I doubt it would have been an unsolicited comment. Someone would have put a scenario to him - kieren, if the swans won the flag this year and you feel like you've achieved all you could in the afl, and if a cashed up nrl club came calling, would you be able to make the switch?

Tack his answer on to the end of that and it all sounds reasonable really.

Nothing article.

+1

Much like the Jecinta Campbell one saying how the booing upset Buddy.
They ask a question, they get an answer, they sensationalise it.
Thus we have our "factual" article to sell papers.

Captain
4th September 2014, 02:19 PM
I heard it live. Was all quite awkward.

Kieran isn't the greatest media personality and pretty much said yes to give them what they wanted to hear.

Nothing in it.

southsideswan
4th September 2014, 02:33 PM
It is the funniest thing I have heard of. If you think it is difficult going from RL to AFL then it would be doubly difficult going the other way. Even kids that play say RU as a kid and then play RL and go back in RU, very few succeed. If KJ wants to drop half his salary, change his body shape and be mediocre then go for it. Yep just a gee up.

jono2707
4th September 2014, 03:24 PM
Don't they come up with this every year? Maybe they're hoping that more NSW guys might switch back to rugby after Hunt's departure from GC.

It's a nothing story, but just to clarify, it was about KJ switching to rugby league, not rugby.

Nico
4th September 2014, 03:31 PM
Dribble.

Swansongster
4th September 2014, 03:36 PM
It is the funniest thing I have heard of. If you think it is difficult going from RL to AFL then it would be doubly difficult going the other way. Even kids that play say RU as a kid and then play RL and go back in RU, very few succeed. If KJ wants to drop half his salary, change his body shape and be mediocre then go for it. Yep just a gee up.

I reckon with the skills, endurance, body resilience, attitude to training, leadership qualities, team ethic, on-ball awareness and experience in big games he learned at Sydney Swans (not to mention his genetics and potential as a junior league player), he'd make a cracking No.1, No.6 or No.7 in rugby league (.

I don't think it will happen and I don't want it to happen but surely he could make the transition if he wanted to.

GoSouth33
4th September 2014, 04:46 PM
He'd make a great rugby league player (just as his old man would have been a handy aussie rules player). But what a waste of his talent!!!

Meg
4th September 2014, 04:59 PM
He'd make a great rugby league player (just as his old man would have been a handy aussie rules player). But what a waste of his talent!!!

Agree. Interesting reading Karmichael Hunt's comments this week comparing the physical demands of the two codes.

"(Karmichael Hunt's) journey started in rugby league, with the Brisbane Broncos, where he says drinking was a bigger part of the culture than in the AFL.

�The demands of AFL footy mean you need to be in peak condition,� Hunt told Triple M�s Grill Team in Brisbane.

�For most of the year you need to be able to knock out 12km or 13km on the weekend.

�In terms of the culture of going out and enjoying yourself after every game, that does not happen whereas in rugby league, because the physical demands are a lot lighter compared to AFL, you could find boys out enjoying themselves."

Karmichael Hunt reveals key difference between AFL and NRL cultures (http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/karmichael-hunt-reveals-key-difference-between-afl-and-nrl-cultures/story-fndpt9s1-1227045087963)