PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Final Venue?

annew
6th September 2014, 11:15 PM
So which rugby teams do I need to support so that ANZ Stadium is not available on Friday Sept 19?

Zlatorog
6th September 2014, 11:16 PM
Panthers. They need to win on Monday to get into top 4.

annew
6th September 2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks

barry
6th September 2014, 11:18 PM
Is every thread going to be an ANZ bash mods?

Maybe you should support the swans first and foremost and actually go to finals instead of worrying about rugby league.

Any swans member who failed to show up today should hang their heads in shame. Not real fans.

jono2707
6th September 2014, 11:24 PM
So which rugby teams do I need to support so that ANZ Stadium is not available on Friday Sept 19?

Rugby league teams.

ugg
6th September 2014, 11:29 PM
A news ltd report seemed to suggest that afl would have the precedence over league on prelim final weekend

barry
6th September 2014, 11:37 PM
ANZ is a lock for the prelim. 2 weeks of dummy spits coming to RWO

annew
6th September 2014, 11:39 PM
Is every thread going to be an ANZ bash mods?

Maybe you should support the swans first and foremost and actually go to finals instead of worrying about rugby league.

Any swans member who failed to show up today should hang their heads in shame. Not real fans.
I go to every home swans game regardless, and I was there today, however I just feel there is a better atmosphere at the SCG if we are only getting 35000 attending.

annew
6th September 2014, 11:43 PM
ANZ is a lock for the prelim. 2 weeks of dummy spits coming to RWO
Swans announcement says ANZ Stadium ( to be confirmed) so it does not appear to be a lock.

Ludwig
6th September 2014, 11:56 PM
Can we request to play our home final at the MCG? Is it a right or an obligation to play the game in your home state?

The stadium would be packed and should be a really good atmosphere. We know the ground is always in good condition. And we get to practice on the GF ground. We should smash whoever we play regardless of the arena.

Matt80
7th September 2014, 07:05 AM
Can we request to play our home final at the MCG? Is it a right or an obligation to play the game in your home state?

The stadium would be packed and should be a really good atmosphere. We know the ground is always in good condition. And we get to practice on the GF ground. We should smash whoever we play regardless of the arena.

The MCG is the greatest venue of them all. I love it. It's actually closer to the city than the SCG. I think Paul Sheehan would love your proposal.

On the ANZ debate. When I played local Football in the 2000s, the tickets to go to the Swans games at ANZ were the easiest tickets to come across in living memory. Our head coach used to say at the end of training:

"I have 30 tickets to ANZ, who wants to go".

Has this practice been tightened up? Maybe someone involved in local Sydney Football can confirm if this still happens.

If this does not happen anymore then less people would go.

Hotpotato
7th September 2014, 07:56 AM
You would have thought 7,000 Dockers fans would have turned up , but it was a paltry number of them. Lots more Richmond bods last week.
Pretty expensive to get across I know.... But thought there would have been more...

Nich
7th September 2014, 08:34 AM
Dockers fans were never going to turn up. They were guaranteed to play a home final either next week or the week after and then possibility of having to pay to go to a GF.

They kept their money in their pocket. Can't blame them. Very expensive trips.

Nich
7th September 2014, 08:36 AM
7 wins from 8 finals at ANZ. I love the SCG but happy to win wherever if that's the strike rate.

barry
7th September 2014, 08:40 AM
For the crowd trakers, last night s game would've put a shiver down you spine.

Best possible scenario is vs geelong , great weather, good publicity, good ticket prices.

Worst possible scenario is vs north, raining, $$ ticket s.

R-1
7th September 2014, 09:34 AM
Panthers winning to get into top 4 this week. Then in the two QFs next weekend probably the Rabbitohs and Panthers to lose so they host semis on our prelim weekend (rather than the Roosters and Manly who are more likely to play SFS). And the Bulldogs to win their elimination final to create at least 1 all-Sydney matchup in our prelim weekend.

If the Panthers don't win, Rabbitohs and Roosters to lose next week's QFs.

We might still get ANZ but that would create the biggest scheduling problem.

mcs
7th September 2014, 09:36 AM
Finals games in sydney will never draw the big crowds of melbourne if they dont adequately adjust prices to take into account differences between sydney and melbourne.

You have to remember a big boost to crowds at the mcg is the presence of both mcc members and afl members. Afl is the be all and end all of sport in melbourne at this time of year - whereas in sydney it is competing with nrl for air time and the casual fans.

If the afl was serious about getting good crowds to early finals in sydney, they'd lower prices significantly. I paid $57 for cat 3 tickets yesterday - which is fine by me, but is unaffordable for many, especially when there is a bigger game to come. Prelim final tickets are very expensive at the bottom end - if the afl wants a huge crowd, bottom category tickets should be $25 or something like that. But they are $72 - far too much to pay to sit up in the heavans for those 'casual' fans that really help build the crowd size up.

We will hopefully get 50-55k for the prelim, but if the afl did some tinkering with pricing at the bottom, they would probably get closer to 70-75k.

Zlatorog
7th September 2014, 09:44 AM
The crowd numbers dropped ever since AFL raised their finals ticket price. Evidence is there. I have no doubt that Swans members will attend games but not general public. There are not enough members in Sydney to fill up the stadium. That's the problem. I agree with you mcs that AFL needs to do something about the pricing.

barry
7th September 2014, 10:25 AM
If you look at week 1 and two finals across the years, each team bring 35k to 40k fans. Two home teams means 70k plus. In context we arent bad and have punched above our weight with the 60k+ finals we have hosted.

But the AFL has to make that leap of attracting the casual fan to finals games. Something they have dropped the ball on. Even the 3 match ANZ pass has gone.

Why didnt they sell and promote a sydney finals series 2 game ticket this year?

Go Swannies
7th September 2014, 11:01 AM
You know that tickets to the PF cost $72-170 with only some restricted view seats at $63? If it's North then get ready for the echoes.

longmile
7th September 2014, 11:04 AM
Not sure if Tippett is a big game player. Hope he steps it up and proves me wrong

annew
7th September 2014, 11:36 AM
If you look at week 1 and two finals across the years, each team bring 35k to 40k fans. Two home teams means 70k plus. In context we arent bad and have punched above our weight with the 60k+ finals we have hosted.

But the AFL has to make that leap of attracting the casual fan to finals games. Something they have dropped the ball on. Even the 3 match ANZ pass has gone.

Why didnt they sell and promote a sydney finals series 2 game ticket this year?
You make a valid point about crowd numbers and i must admit I hadn't thought about the fact 2 Melb teams attracts about 35000 each. But my point about ANZ Stadium is simply 35000 at the SCG has a better atmosphere than at ANZ, the same as I am sure 35000 at the MCG does not create as good an atmosphere as say 35000 at Geelong. I agree it is what it is and I will go regardless. I must add that the ground yesterday is about the best I have seen it considering all the rain that fell and no doubt no rugby being played on it since we played last. The ticket prices for a pre-lim are simply ridiculous and definitely a problem that needs addressing.

DamY
7th September 2014, 11:50 AM
It's true that AFL finals tickets are too expensive for the NSW market which lacks the rusted-on supporters and 8 clubs, but imagine the furore if the other clubs saw NSW finals tickets being cheaper?? I don't think they'd let it happen

stellation
7th September 2014, 12:09 PM
Not sure if Tippett is a big game player. Hope he steps it up and proves me wrong
He went okay in the last PF he played.

dimelb
7th September 2014, 12:09 PM
Can some mod please fix the thread title? It's giving me the irrits.

And I agree strongly with the comments about the pricing. The AFL is being greedy, or is infected with the corporate bug as the measure of what's possible, or both. The plain fact is that even in crude economic terms, Sydney is probably the toughest market in the land; the AFL needs to grasp the nettle and cut prices and insist they have very convincing arguments for doing so.

stellation
7th September 2014, 12:52 PM
I completely agree that the AFL needs to revise their ticket pricing- it needs an overhaul overall, but particularly for the Sydney market. The Swans playing a QF and PF this year means that for family tickets to attend both games the cost is $412 for top end, $234 for nose bleeds. I can perfectly understand if people baulk at that cost, particularly factoring in all the other "going to a match' costs.

GWS and Gold Coast may force the AFL to reconsider costs for different markets- I think it's reasonable to think that the Giants may host a final before they earn the level of commitment from fans to be willing to pay through the nose to attend it. I've taken a quick squiz- if you look at creating a wealth divide of footy fans in Sydney as far as which way the bucks of a casually interested footy family might go- they could get a membership for all GWS games in Homebush for the entire 2015 season for the price of toddling along to a couple of Swans finals.

barry
7th September 2014, 01:04 PM
You make a valid point about crowd numbers and i must admit I hadn't thought about the fact 2 Melb teams attracts about 35000 each. But my point about ANZ Stadium is simply 35000 at the SCG has a better atmosphere than at ANZ, the same as I am sure 35000 at the MCG does not create as good an atmosphere as say 35000 at Geelong. I agree it is what it is and I will go regardless. I must add that the ground yesterday is about the best I have seen it considering all the rain that fell and no doubt no rugby being played on it since we played last. The ticket prices for a pre-lim are simply ridiculous and definitely a problem that needs addressing.

That's a fine post anew.

We could move it to the SCG, get 35k. Make some members happier.
Or we could play it at ANZ, and do everything we can to get over 60,000 to get the same atmosphere, and grow the swans brand.

A ship is safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are built for.
Buddy is safe at the SCG, but that's not why we brought him.

mcs
7th September 2014, 01:14 PM
That's a fine post anew.

We could move it to the SCG, get 35k. Make some members happier.
Or we could play it at ANZ, and do everything we can to get over 60,000 to get the same atmosphere, and grow the swans brand.

A ship is safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are built for.
Buddy is safe at the SCG, but that's not why we brought him.

Of course we should be looking to grow the Swans brand, but why is it unreasonable to expect that the Swans could not play some of their finals at the SCG?

I still think the reasonable outcome is that Week 1 finals should be at the SCG, week 3 finals at ANZ, and then alternate any week 2 finals.

There seems, at this stage, no need to use ANZ for week 1 finals, as the crowds have been nowhere near the capacity of the SCG. If we were getting 55K to every final, then it would be ridiculous to consider using the SCG. But the fact is, we are not, and are unlikely to do so without a significant change in AFL ticket pricing. And I do think, at current ticket prices, we are highly likely to draw a bigger crowd at the SCG in week 1 of the finals than at the ANZ - for you can not deny barry that there is a clearly a significant amount of Swans Members (and one could probably assume the same holds in the 'casual' fan group) of people that exhibit a preference for the SCG over ANZ.

As for getting 60K+ at ANZ, it'll only happen if the AFL decides to reduce ticket prices for Finals. Even against the Pies in 2012, with a match with a huge media build up, good weather (if I remember rightly) and a lot to play for, we only got what 55K was it? We will do exceptionally well to match that on Friday week, no matter the opponent. As I said earlier, if the AFL was serious about getting a good crowd, cat 4 tickets would be something like $25 for an adult - that would entice the casual fans to come along. As it is, paying $72 to sit in the worst seats (excluding restricted view of course) is ridiculous pricing.

And one last thing - football to a point, apart from the obvious on field performance, should be about making the Members of the club happy. After all, they are the ones that stump up cash, year after year, to directly support their club financially, as well as supporting them in an emotional sense. While in the grand scheme of things, these dollars are only a fraction of the total budget of a footy club, they are after what makes the 'Club', as much as the players on the field. Trying to do their best to make as many of them happy should be a key ethos of any football club, playing any code of football. Life isn't solely about the almighty $.

barry
7th September 2014, 01:20 PM
Of course we should be looking to grow the Swans brand, but why is it unreasonable to expect that the Swans could not play some of their finals at the SCG?

I still think the reasonable outcome is that Week 1 finals should be at the SCG, week 3 finals at ANZ, and then alternate any week 2 finals.

There seems, at this stage, no need to use ANZ for week 1 finals, as the crowds have been nowhere near the capacity of the SCG. If we were getting 55K to every final, then it would be ridiculous to consider using the SCG. But the fact is, we are not, and are unlikely to do so without a significant change in AFL ticket pricing. And I do think, at current ticket prices, we are highly likely to draw a bigger crowd at the SCG in week 1 of the finals than at the ANZ - for you can not deny barry that there is a clearly a significant amount of Swans Members (and one could probably assume the same holds in the 'casual' fan group) of people that exhibit a preference for the SCG over ANZ.

As for getting 60K+ at ANZ, it'll only happen if the AFL decides to reduce ticket prices for Finals. Even against the Pies in 2012, with a match with a huge media build up, good weather (if I remember rightly) and a lot to play for, we only got what 55K was it? We will do exceptionally well to match that on Friday week, no matter the opponent. As I said earlier, if the AFL was serious about getting a good crowd, cat 4 tickets would be something like $25 for an adult - that would entice the casual fans to come along. As it is, paying $72 to sit in the worst seats (excluding restricted view of course) is ridiculous pricing.

And one last thing - football to a point, apart from the obvious on field performance, should be about making the Members of the club happy. After all, they are the ones that stump up cash, year after year, to directly support their club financially, as well as supporting them in an emotional sense. While in the grand scheme of things, these dollars are only a fraction of the total budget of a footy club, they are after what makes the 'Club', as much as the players on the field. Trying to do their best to make as many of them happy should be a key ethos of any football club, playing any code of football. Life isn't solely about the almighty $.

Flip flopping ground during finals is not the answer. I think we will get 60000 to the prelim. Every other one we have. We should be working to get 60000 min to any final.

Anyway, if it was a fine weekend, we would have got closer to 45k against freo.

Retreating back to the SCG is a backwards step in the growth of this club. We should be aiming for 50000 members next year

Doctor
7th September 2014, 01:20 PM
The crowd numbers dropped ever since AFL raised their finals ticket price. Evidence is there. I have no doubt that Swans members will attend games but not general public. There are not enough members in Sydney to fill up the stadium. That's the problem. I agree with you mcs that AFL needs to do something about the pricing.

This is it. You're not going to get casual fans or curious observers paying the PF ticket prices. They're horrendously expensive.

mcs
7th September 2014, 01:41 PM
Flip flopping ground during finals is not the answer. I think we will get 60000 to the prelim. Every other one we have. We should be working to get 60000 min to any final.

Anyway, if it was a fine weekend, we would have got closer to 45k against freo.

Retreating back to the SCG is a backwards step in the growth of this club. We should be aiming for 50000 members next year

I'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming to get 60K+ to every final - but at the moment, I've seen no evidence to say that we are capable, at the current time, of drawing anywhere near that number in week 1 or week 2 of the finals at home. I think a large part of it really is ticket prices, as argued by many ad nauseum in this thread. If the AFL is going to continue with ridiculous pricing, then I see no reason why some finals, especially those early in the final series, could not be played at SCG.

Also you are wrong about PF's - we only got 57,500 odd for the Collingwood game in 2012. Whilst close to 60,000 that is not 60,000 - a bit like losing a GF by a point is almost being Premiers, but not quite. As I said, that game was well advertised, good weather and a big score to settle, against the biggest club (in membership terms) in the land. Our PF in two weeks time will be against a very well supported club (in Geelong) or one of the smaller supporter based Melbourne Teams in the Kangaroos. We will be very lucky to get >60K with the prices for tickets as they are.

I'm willing to bet $100 that we will not get 60,000 to the PF on Friday week - are you game to take me on? You should be happy to - after all, you don't have to pay ridiculous money to buy your PF ticket like the large majority of people do.

barry
7th September 2014, 01:44 PM
Of course we should be looking to grow the Swans brand, but why is it unreasonable to expect that the Swans could not play some of their finals at the SCG?...

I'm not saying we shouldn't be aiming to get 60K+ to every final - but at the moment, Invest seen no evidence to say that we are capable, at the current time, of drawing anywhere near that number in week 1 of the finals at h.........

Splitting hairs. No other venue could hold 57,000.

I'm not betting you. I don't even know you FFS.

mcs
7th September 2014, 01:46 PM
Splitting hairs. No other venue could hold 57,000.

I'm not betting you. I don't even know you FFS.

Awww Barry, what a shame. Was looking forward to a cashed up ANZ member helping to pay for my grand final ticket :rofl

And if you didn't realise it - I was being facetious.....

Just don't forget your tin hat for Friday week, in case of some grand RWO based conspiracy against ANZ members who may or may not be called Barry..... :tongue:

barry
7th September 2014, 01:54 PM
If I bet you, you'd go out of your way to lobby for a boycott of ANZ by swans members. I don't want to be seen to be encouraging your negativity toward the club in any way.

mcs
7th September 2014, 02:00 PM
If I bet you, you'd go out of your way to lobby for a boycott of ANZ by swans members. I don't want to be seen to be encouraging your negativity toward the club in any way.

Yes you are right. I'd be so desperate to win $100 from you that I'd lobby fans to boycott my beloved Swans 2nd most important game of the season, where we need everyone we can to help them over the line..... :rofl

Just how am I negative towards the club? I look forward to your roll of evidence that extends outside my dislike of ANZ.

annew
7th September 2014, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=dimelb;654551]Can some mod please fix the thread title? It's giving me the irrits.
Thanks for correcting the thread title, I tried to edit as I realised straight away it was spelt incorrectly, however, it would not allow me to.

Jewels
7th September 2014, 02:32 PM
Finals games in sydney will never draw the big crowds of melbourne if they dont adequately adjust prices to take into account differences between sydney and melbourne.

You have to remember a big boost to crowds at the mcg is the presence of both mcc members and afl members. Afl is the be all and end all of sport in melbourne at this time of year - whereas in sydney it is competing with nrl for air time and the casual fans.

If the afl was serious about getting good crowds to early finals in sydney, they'd lower prices significantly. I paid $57 for cat 3 tickets yesterday - which is fine by me, but is unaffordable for many, especially when there is a bigger game to come. Prelim final tickets are very expensive at the bottom end - if the afl wants a huge crowd, bottom category tickets should be $25 or something like that. But they are $72 - far too much to pay to sit up in the heavans for those 'casual' fans that really help build the crowd size up.

We will hopefully get 50-55k for the prelim, but if the afl did some tinkering with pricing at the bottom, they would probably get closer to 70-75k.

Can some mod please fix the thread title? It's giving me the irrits.

And I agree strongly with the comments about the pricing. The AFL is being greedy, or is infected with the corporate bug as the measure of what's possible, or both. The plain fact is that even in crude economic terms, Sydney is probably the toughest market in the land; the AFL needs to grasp the nettle and cut prices and insist they have very convincing arguments for doing so.

Tickets up in level six of ANZ should be half the price of category three seats.
Ridiculous that the top level was so empty yesterday, if the AFL had sold tickets up there for $25 that would have been a great inducement to the casual AFL observer to come along and see what all the fuss is about.

Beerandfooty
7th September 2014, 03:08 PM
I haven't been on this site for quiet a few years and it seem there has been some debate about the Homebush venue. I'd image there are various reasons for people not like it, for me it is more difficult to get to than the SCG, accommodation close to it is expensive and I am accustomed to the atmosphere of the SCG. ( I don't live in Sydney). I agree the finals ticket pricing is an issue and think the AFL is too greedy.

Still, had last nights game been held at the SCG we certainly would have been there and I know of another local family with similar sentiment. Makes me wonder what the crowd size would have been had this been the case.

Anyway, I do think we are GF bound and looking at packages I cant afford to go. (Went in 2006). So we are considering finding a nice venue in Sydney to enjoy it in.

sidswan
7th September 2014, 03:17 PM
Anyway, I do think we are GF bound and looking at packages I cant afford to go. (Went in 2006). So we are considering finding a nice venue in Sydney to enjoy it in.[/QUOTE]

I'm also looking for family friendly places in Sydney's east to watch Grand Final (hopefully not getting ahead of ourselves)

barry
7th September 2014, 06:25 PM
Yes you are right. I'd be so desperate to win $100 from you that I'd lobby fans to boycott my beloved Swans 2nd most important game of the season, where we need everyone we can to help them over the line..... :rofl

Just how am I negative towards the club? I look forward to your roll of evidence that extends outside my dislike of ANZ.

Whinging is a negative emotion. Youll cause another thread to be locked if you keeping going on and on and on..

mcs
7th September 2014, 07:05 PM
Tickets up in level six of ANZ should be half the price of category three seats.
Ridiculous that the top level was so empty yesterday, if the AFL had sold tickets up there for $25 that would have been a great inducement to the casual AFL observer to come along and see what all the fuss is about.

Sadly Jewels I think its more about 'what level of monopoly pricing can we use to maximise profits' than 'what can we do to get the biggest crowd at the game'.

If we are going to continue to long term play finals at ANZ, then the AFL has to see that, if they want huge crowds at games, they are going to have to price it accordingly - or at very least look at other incentive mechanisms to get people to go to games.

Zlatorog
7th September 2014, 07:40 PM
The AFL has confirmed that the game will start at 19:50 at ANZ Stadium. Here's the quote:
"Meanwhile the AFL has confirmed the first preliminary final hosted by the Swans will be played on the night of Friday 19 September at ANZ Stadium."
Ticket prices cut for members as Cats, Roos prepare to kick off semi-finals - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-07/ticket-prices-cut-for-members-as-cats-roos-prepare-to-kick-off-semifinals)

dimelb
7th September 2014, 07:46 PM
Sadly Jewels I think its more about 'what level of monopoly pricing can we use to maximise profits' than 'what can we do to get the biggest crowd at the game'.

If we are going to continue to long term play finals at ANZ, then the AFL has to see that, if they want huge crowds at games, they are going to have to price it accordingly - or at very least look at other incentive mechanisms to get people to go to games.

The average drug dealer is smarter than the AFL - entice people in with cut rates, then when they're hooked, raise the price. Not hard!

mcs
7th September 2014, 08:04 PM
The AFL has confirmed that the game will start at 19:50 at ANZ Stadium. Here's the quote:
"Meanwhile the AFL has confirmed the first preliminary final hosted by the Swans will be played on the night of Friday 19 September at ANZ Stadium."
Ticket prices cut for members as Cats, Roos prepare to kick off semi-finals - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-07/ticket-prices-cut-for-members-as-cats-roos-prepare-to-kick-off-semifinals)

That same article still has (subject to stadium availability) after ANZ in the 'fixture' section towards the bottom - so maybe its still up in the air somewhat, or the AFL is just too lazy to make things consistent.

- - - Updated - - -

The average drug dealer is smarter than the AFL - entice people in with cut rates, then when they're hooked, raise the price. Not hard!

Haha dimelb, that is a good analogy. I just don't get it - they are trying to build the game in a still developing market, but are pricing plenty of interested people completely out of being able to attend by setting ludicrous games.

Of course its reasonable to expect finals to have a premium price, but that doesn't stop the AFL setting an aggressive pricing structure to entice attendance. Will be interesting to see what sort of prices the NRL sets for its finals.

ScottH
7th September 2014, 09:18 PM
That same article still has (subject to stadium availability) after ANZ in the 'fixture' section towards the bottom - so maybe its still up in the air somewhat, or the AFL is just too lazy to make things consistent.

When will they know the availability??
Will they know by the end of this weekend, or is dependent on next weeks games??

Zlatorog
7th September 2014, 10:27 PM
Or maybe they are waiting for NRL. There is another game tomorrow, which might affect top 4, so let's wait and see.

mcs
7th September 2014, 10:53 PM
When will they know the availability??
Will they know by the end of this weekend, or is dependent on next weeks games??

The final game of the NRL regular season was tonight. They have released Week 1 final schedules - and it has potentially very good news for the Swans, as there are no Week 1 finals at ANZ. Therefore, if our final is played there, there will have been almost 2 weeks between games at the venue - therefore it should see the surface in the best condition that we've seen at ANZ for quite a long time (assuming some decent weather comes around for once!) if the game ends up being there.

In terms of week 2 games in the NRL (PF weekend in the AFL), both games will be in Sydney, as the NRL top 4 is all Sydney teams.

Of the bottom 4, 3 are interstate, and there is a fair chance the two winners will be both interstate teams. The logical conclusion is that they will seek to play 1 game at ANZ in week 2 and 1 at the footy stadium - it seems highly unlikely that both would be at ANZ, unless perhaps Souths and Penrith (Both top 4 teams) lose and they decide they want to play both at ANZ - but I'd think they'd play one of them at the Football Stadium, even in this situation.

If the NRL draw mimics the AFL one (and it should on this point), the loser of Souths vs Manly (the Friday Night game) would logically be expected to play the next Friday night. If Manly was to lose, the game would almost definitely be scheduled for the footy stadium - their fans are fickle travellers, and playing an interstate team, they aren't going to play it at ANZ as it would be a relatively small crowd (the NRL has always been, in terms of finals, relatively good at matching ground sizes to attendances). However, if Souths were to lose, then theoretically the NRL might want that game to be at ANZ (As it is Souths home ground) - I'm guessing this is the potential sticking point at the moment leading to the 'subject to availability' clause.

If my hypothesis is correct, unless the NRL and AFL and ANZ come up with a suitable agreed position this week, then we will probably not find out till next weekend some time. Hopefully as early as late Friday night, but more likely not till late Saturday. I may be wrong of course, but that's the way I read it at the moment.

R-1
7th September 2014, 11:00 PM
Do the NRL do Friday semi or prelim finals?

mcs
7th September 2014, 11:08 PM
Friday/Saturday R-1. There will definitely be a clash on that Friday night, but as I said before, the only way that I can see the NRL wanting ANZ is if its Souths that lose their qualifying final on Friday. They won't put a Manly home final in week 2, possibly against an interstate team at ANZ.

ernie koala
7th September 2014, 11:29 PM
Do the NRL do Friday semi or prelim finals?

Definitely. They will want 1 game on Friday night and 1 game on Saturday night......ie: Prime TV for both.

I think mcs is correct. If Souths loose week 1 the NRL would, more than likely, want Souths week 2 final at ANZ on Friday night......

Never thought I'd say it.....Go Manly !

Ampersand
7th September 2014, 11:35 PM
When do tickets for the Swan's preliminary final go on sale? The 15th?

ScottH
8th September 2014, 08:35 AM
The final game of the NRL regular season was tonight. They have released Week 1 final schedules - and it has potentially very good news for the Swans, as there are no Week 1 finals at ANZ. Therefore, if our final is played there, there will have been almost 2 weeks between games at the venue - therefore it should see the surface in the best condition that we've seen at ANZ for quite a long time (assuming some decent weather comes around for once!) if the game ends up being there.

In terms of week 2 games in the NRL (PF weekend in the AFL), both games will be in Sydney, as the NRL top 4 is all Sydney teams.

Of the bottom 4, 3 are interstate, and there is a fair chance the two winners will be both interstate teams. The logical conclusion is that they will seek to play 1 game at ANZ in week 2 and 1 at the footy stadium - it seems highly unlikely that both would be at ANZ, unless perhaps Souths and Penrith (Both top 4 teams) lose and they decide they want to play both at ANZ - but I'd think they'd play one of them at the Football Stadium, even in this situation.

If the NRL draw mimics the AFL one (and it should on this point), the loser of Souths vs Manly (the Friday Night game) would logically be expected to play the next Friday night. If Manly was to lose, the game would almost definitely be scheduled for the footy stadium - their fans are fickle travellers, and playing an interstate team, they aren't going to play it at ANZ as it would be a relatively small crowd (the NRL has always been, in terms of finals, relatively good at matching ground sizes to attendances). However, if Souths were to lose, then theoretically the NRL might want that game to be at ANZ (As it is Souths home ground) - I'm guessing this is the potential sticking point at the moment leading to the 'subject to availability' clause.

If my hypothesis is correct, unless the NRL and AFL and ANZ come up with a suitable agreed position this week, then we will probably not find out till next weekend some time. Hopefully as early as late Friday night, but more likely not till late Saturday. I may be wrong of course, but that's the way I read it at the moment.

Cheers!!

Makes it a bit hard for non Sydney siders to arrange accommodation.

ScottH
8th September 2014, 08:37 AM
When do tickets for the Swan's preliminary final go on sale? The 15th?

Yes
15th, 9am-1pm for competing club members.
2pm for general public

Finals Ticket onsale dates - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/finals/finals-ticket-on-sale-dates)

Zlatorog
8th September 2014, 09:03 AM
Wow, I didn't notice that the NRL has moved their Monday game forward. So, now we know. It will be up to NRL in the end to make a call whether they want to play their semi next Friday at ANZ or not. Probably we will have to wait until Sunday to find out. In the mean time don't forget to register for GF tickets on Wednesday.

barry
8th September 2014, 09:06 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but ANZ has been confirmed for AFL on the friday.

; )

split_city
8th September 2014, 09:23 AM
Source?

mcs
8th September 2014, 09:54 AM
The latest info from the AFL has not confirmed ANZ as the venue. It quite clearly still has the appendix 'subject to stadium availability.' next to it (despite the confusing 'confirmed' bit in the earlier text'.

Prices cut for Cats, Roos: Full ticketing information for finals week two - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-07/ticket-prices-cut-for-members-as-cats-roos-prepare-to-kick-off-semifinals)

It seems a 99% fait accompli that the game will be at ANZ, but it is not confirmed yet.

barry
8th September 2014, 10:43 AM
You forget mcs, I am an ANZ member. I know things that may not be public yet.

goswannies
8th September 2014, 10:52 AM
In the mean time don't forget to register for GF tickets on Wednesday.

Out of interest, are any members, who aren't planning to attend the GF, going to register anyway?

Go Swannies
8th September 2014, 10:59 AM
You forget mcs, I am an ANZ member. I know things that may not be public yet.

Do you have any idea - or care - how alienating your love of Olympic Park over the best interests of the Sydney Swans footy team is?

mcs
8th September 2014, 11:00 AM
Do you have any idea - or care - how alienating your love of Olympic Park over the best interests of the Sydney Swans footy team is?

:rofl don't bother Go Swannies, don't bother!

mcs
8th September 2014, 11:23 AM
I sent a tweet to ANZ stadium asking about confirmation of the venue as the host of the Prelim final- this is what I got in response.

Also, article that has just gone up on the Swans website says still subject to availability.
Swans prelim final tickets on sale next week - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-09-08/prelim-tickets-on-sale-next-monday)

This is contrary to advice given to ANZ members - which is a bit bizarre to me (surely if ANZ stadium is willing to confirm to ANZ members, then it must be confirmed). But that is the line that the AFL, ANZ stadium and the Swans are all running with, which suggests to me there is still doubt about the venue availability.

barry
8th September 2014, 11:34 AM
This is contrary to advice given to ANZ members - which is a bit bizarre to me (surely if ANZ stadium is willing to confirm to ANZ members, then it must be confirmed). But that is the line that the AFL, ANZ stadium and the Swans are all running with, which suggests to me there is still doubt about the venue availability.

mcs you are clutching at straws and sounding rather shrill. My only advise to you to avoid disappointment is to stop wasting your time.
Alianz will host the friday semi final. It is hosting both sydney finals this weekend.

Ampersand
8th September 2014, 11:34 AM
It's pretty much dependent on the NRL results and given the tickets don't go on sale until after those games I wouldn't expect final confirmation until this Sunday.

floppinab
8th September 2014, 11:38 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree mcs. I think you would find, with respect to yesterdays crowd, there were plenty of people that had to pick and chose, knowing the Swans had another final coming, they were happy to save their pennies last Sat. to go to the Prelim. Based on that they'll get a better crowd for the following Fri. night but will depend on the opponent.

Was trying to remember what prices were like for say the 70k+ crowd they got there for the 2003 Prelim???

ernie koala
8th September 2014, 11:40 AM
It seems a 99% fait accompli that the game will be at ANZ, but it is not confirmed yet.

I think you're right. Given the NRL aren't going to use ANZ this weekend for the Souths v Manly game or the Roosters v Penrith game...

It's hard to imagine they would go to ANZ for week 2 finals, which will most likely involve interstate teams and therefore draw less people.

Ampersand
8th September 2014, 11:41 AM
Quite frankly, I think if we'd woken up to a bright sunny day there would have been another 5,000+ people at the game who decided to go along last minute and we would have had one of our strongest crowds of the season.

mcs
8th September 2014, 11:42 AM
Barry I do not understand what your problem is! :hmmmm2:

I don't give a flying stuff where the game is. All I am trying to get it get proper 'public' confirmation - mainly to help out some friends that are planning on coming across from Adelaide for the game (they would like to know where to book accomodation at!) - and was passing on what information I had recieved. What is wrong with that????

I also know other ANZ members that were provided with the same information you have been provided with.

However, I do find it strange that they have provided that information to them, but aren't willing to publically confirm it. Explain to me where the AFL, the Swans, or indeed ANZ stadium benefit from not publically confirming the game? That to me suggests reasonable doubt in relation to the issue, or at very least there isn't agreement amongst all parties that is needed.

Enough with the pot shots...

barry
8th September 2014, 11:44 AM
The AFL have dropped ticket prices this weekend, after two 70K+ crowds.

Surely they will do the same in Sydney for the prelim.

mcs
8th September 2014, 11:49 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree mcs. I think you would find, with respect to yesterdays crowd, there were plenty of people that had to pick and chose, knowing the Swans had another final coming, they were happy to save their pennies last Sat. to go to the Prelim. Based on that they'll get a better crowd for the following Fri. night but will depend on the opponent.

Was trying to remember what prices were like for say the 70k+ crowd they got there for the 2003 Prelim???

I don't know about 2003, but in 2006 tickets were between $70 and $100 according to this article (Swans tickets a fair price, says AFL - AFL - Sport - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/swans-tickets-a-fair-price-says-league/2006/09/12/1157826941923.html)). So that's a pretty decent change in prices - although it would appear the cheapest tickets are still much the same as then.

I think part of the issue is that Grand Final Tickets (and getting to Melbourne) is such an expensive exercise that many have to, as you say pick and choose finals games, because they want to be able to afford to go to the Grand Final if we make it.

mcs
8th September 2014, 11:54 AM
I think you're right. Given the NRL aren't going to use ANZ this weekend for the Souths v Manly game or the Roosters v Penrith game...

It's hard to imagine they would go to ANZ for week 2 finals, which will most likely involve interstate teams and therefore draw less people.

The NRL will definitely play one final at ANZ in Week 2 (I don't think ANZ would be happy to have no NRL finals there in Week 1 or Week 2 as its one of the so called big drawcards), but you would think the logical conclusion is that they would play it on the Saturday night, and the AFL game on the Friday night. Hence I can't understand, unless there is another issue at play (such as the NRL digging their heels in for the sake of it) why it isn't being publically confirmed - it all is a bit odd.

Go Swannies
8th September 2014, 11:55 AM
Interesting pressure at SEN:

Maher: No more ANZ Stadium
Joshua Papanikolaou

<iframe name="f3f270734" width="90px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?action=like&app_id=&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconn ect%2Fxd_arbiter%2FZEbdHPQfV3x.js%3Fversion%3D41%2 3cb%3Df2f519707c%26domain%3Dwww.sen.com.au%26origi n%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sen.com.au%252Ff112f70d a%26relation%3Dparent.parent&font=arial&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au%2Fdisplay-article-2013%2FMaher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium%2F71375&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&ref=.VAz-KFi02hA.like&sdk=joey&send=false&show_faces=false&width=90" class="" style="position: absolute; border-style: none; visibility: visible; width: 77px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.1409790579.html#_=1410137643059&count=horizontal&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au%2Fdisplay-article-2013%2FMaher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium%2F71375&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au%2Fdis play-article-2013%2FMaher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium%2F71375&size=m&text=SEN%3A&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au%2Fdisplay-article-2013%2FMaher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium%2F71375%23.VAz-KLnpePY.twitter" class="twitter-share-button twitter-tweet-button twitter-share-button twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter Tweet Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="width: 108px; height: 20px;"></iframe><iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I1_1410137643771" name="I1_1410137643771" src="https://apis.google.com/u/0/se/0/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&size=medium&hl=en-US&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au%2Fdisplay-article-2013%2FMaher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium%2F71375&gsrc=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.27qd6eMQJ3g.O%2Fm %3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dz cms%2Frs%3DAItRSTON87wj6xg4tCcflu9F6cMVbkGhqg#_met hods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resize Me%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefres h&id=I1_1410137643771&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au&pfname=&rpctoken=25008960" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="position: static; top: 0px; width: 90px; margin: 0px; border-style: none; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 20px;"></iframe>

<iframe id="_atssh816" title="AddThis utility frame" src="http://ct1.addthis.com/static/r07/sh171.html#iit=1410137642996&tmr=load%3D1410137640775%26core%3D1410137640809%26 main%3D1410137642993%26ifr%3D1410137642998&cb=0&cdn=1&chr=UTF-8&kw=&ab=-&dh=www.sen.com.au&dr=&du=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sen.com.au%2Fdisplay-article-2013%2FMaher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium%2F71375&dt=SEN&dbg=0&md=0&cap=tc%3D0%26ab%3D0&inst=1&vcl=1&jsl=161&prod=undefined&lng=en-us&ogt=description%2Csite_name%2Cimage%2Curl%2Ctype%3 Darticle%2Ctitle&pc=men&pub=ra-4ecc7e7c727bb307&ssl=0&sid=540cfe28730bd6ea&srpl=1&srcs=1&srd=1&srf=1&srx=1&ver=300&xck=0&xtr=0&og=title%3DMaher%253A%2520No%2520more%2520ANZ%2520 Stadium%26type%3Darticle%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%25 2Fwww.sen.com.au%252Fdefault.aspx%253Fs%253Ddispla y-article-2013%2526id%253D71375%26image%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252 Fwww.sen.com.au%252Fsite%252F_content%252Farticle% 252F%26site_name%3DSEN%26description%3D%25E2%2580% 259CIf%2520the%2520AFL%2520is%2520fair%2520dinkum% 2520about%2520developing%2520the%2520game%2520in%2 520the%2520northern%2520markets%2520you%2520play%2 520the%2520biggest%2520games%2520in%2520Sydney%252 0at%2520the%2520SCG.&aa=0&csi=undefined&rev=4.0&ct=1&xld=1&xd=1" style="height: 1px; width: 1px; position: absolute; z-index: 100000; border-width: 0px; left: 0px; top: 0px;"></iframe>

http://www.sen.com.au/site/_template/SEN/icon/bookmark.gif http://www.sen.com.au/site/_template/SEN/icon/print.gif (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Maher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium/71375#)http://www.sen.com.au/site/_template/SEN/icon/small_text.gif (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Maher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium/71375#)http://www.sen.com.au/site/_template/SEN/icon/large_text.gif (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Maher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium/71375#)

9.52AM 8-9-2014
The use of ANZ Stadium for blockbuster games in Sydney should be scrapped, according to Andy Maher who told SEN that the SCG should always be used for the good of the gamehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1.png (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Maher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium/71375#).
There is a contractual financial incentive for the AFL to keep using the venue at Sydney Olympic Park as well as the ability to hold more than 30,000 people than the SCG for finals and other big clasheshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1.png (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Maher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium/71375#).
�In Sydney, if you want to represent the game at its very best you play football at the SCG � this is not a revelation, everybody knows this.
�The ANZ Stadium came up okay on the weekend given the amount of rain they had, but Nick Smith said that 35,000 was a little bit disappointing,� Maher said on Morning Glory.
The condition of the field has been a big talking point over the last few weeks.
Even after considerable resurfacing of the turf there were multiple muddy and water-logged patches on Saturday for the Swans� qualifying final against Fremantle.
�If the AFL is fair dinkum about developing the game in the northern markets you play the biggest gameshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/lb_icon1.png (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Maher-No-more-ANZ-Stadium/71375#) in Sydney at the SCG.
�They have to get out of this contract and do the right thing by the game.�

barry
8th September 2014, 11:57 AM
The NRL will definitely play one final at ANZ in Week 2 (I don't think ANZ would be happy to have no NRL finals there in Week 1 or Week 2 as its one of the so called big drawcards), but you would think the logical conclusion is that they would play it on the Saturday night, and the AFL game on the Friday night. Hence I can't understand, unless there is another issue at play (such as the NRL digging their heels in for the sake of it) why it isn't being publically confirmed - it all is a bit odd.

Its not just ground avaliability that they are working through. They may be working how to structure tickets, access, entertainment, a whole host of reasons.

Tickets wont be on sale until both teams are confirmed, so no rush.

The only one with an issue to this approach is you.

Andy Maher. Lol.

Xie Shan
8th September 2014, 12:48 PM
Another thing to consider is that if the final is played at the SCG we can't purchase extra finals tickets with our memberships like we can for finals at ANZ Stadium. I usually have a couple of friends who aren't members who come to these big games and are Swans fans, but are unable to attend home and away games for various reasons.

I much prefer going to the SCG personally, but if we must play finals at ANZ, I won't complain, as based on previous years, preliminary finals there have attracted bigger crowds than the SCG can hold, and given our finals record at ANZ I really don't think we have to worry about losing our home ground advantage.

The Big Cat
8th September 2014, 12:54 PM
The thing that worries me about playing at ANZ is that the shape of the ground mirrors Kardinia Park. Whose advantage is that to?

Xie Shan
8th September 2014, 01:04 PM
Geelong haven't played at ANZ since 2010 and North have only played there once in 2008.

barry
8th September 2014, 01:13 PM
ANZ's length is better to fine tune our game plan for the expanses of the MCG.

Plus a longer ground makes it easier to operate two key forward like Buddy and Tippet.

(And before this turns into a slanging match, I have made no comment on the SCG dimensions).

KTigers
8th September 2014, 01:14 PM
Apparently we have won our last seven finals at ANZ. Obviously our record during the home-and-away isn't as good, but it's the games
in September that really count. I purchased 4 return flights to Melbourne for the GF weekend this morning for myself and the family.

Mel_C
8th September 2014, 01:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the AFL have learnt from 2012!

ernie koala
8th September 2014, 05:06 PM
It seems the venue hasn't been finalised yet...As stated towards the end of the article about Mals hammy...

There is also some doubt over the venue for next Friday night's preliminary final, with the NRL finals potentially impacting on the availability of ANZ Stadium.

If there is a clash, the SCG may be used instead, but Longmire's only concern is that the game is held in Sydney.

Dave
8th September 2014, 05:19 PM
I found out something this morning that I was unaware of with ANZ Stadium. Mike Fitzpatrick led a consortium to buy it a few years ago. Not sure whether he still has an interest in it but it certainly would work in his interest for games to be played there.

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/consortium-led-by-afl-chief-mike-fitzpatrick-buys-anz-stadium/story-e6frexx0-1225740038626)

"Mr Fitzpatrick, who founded Hastings Funds Management before selling a controlling stake to Westpac, will take a 50 per cent interest in ANZ Infrastructure Services."

I apologize in advance if this was already common knowledge.

stellation
8th September 2014, 05:55 PM
In this (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-07/ticket-prices-cut-for-members-as-cats-roos-prepare-to-kick-off-semifinals) article on afl.com.au it says

Meanwhile the AFL has confirmed the first preliminary final hosted by the Swans will be played on the night of Friday 19 September at ANZ Stadium.

The discount for the Cats/North SF is available to members only I believe, which would be great if they did it obviously for the PF but might not help us massively in a push for a massive crowd as casual fans who are probably the least likely to pay the high prices would generally miss out. It would still be a big help for a big crowd, and I'm sure there'd be a lot of members buying tickets for interested friends etc.

The AFL had included a discount along these lines in their ticket planning for the finals when prices were first announced- so members who bought tickets using their membership barcode in week 1 would receive a 20% discount when buying tickets in week 2, they may have just extended that slightly by removing the "had to buy in week 1" restriction- based on the crowds there was probably a good turnout of members from both North and Geelong, so it may not be an added benefit to too many beyond what was planned (and may just be easier on their system to apply a blanket 20% discount instead of checking if the barcodes were used in week 1).

Danzar
8th September 2014, 09:08 PM
Stellation is correct unfortunately.

The price reduction isn't a discretionary response to low crowd numbers following week one. Appears to be designed to ease the load for those members who are facing the prospect of paying for three finals, not two.

erica
8th September 2014, 10:08 PM
Stellation is correct unfortunately.

The price reduction isn't a discretionary response to low crowd numbers following week one. Appears to be designed to ease the load for those members who are facing the prospect of paying for three finals, not two.

It appears to be only for the Victorian teams in semi 2? I haven't read anywhere that the Freo/Port members get the same benefit for semi 1. Is that right?

annew
8th September 2014, 10:13 PM
The pricing of tickets for the preliminary final is way too expensive. Looking at the pricing and the designated areas, there are hardly any of the cheapest sets available and personally $104 for a ticket is ridiculous.

ugg
8th September 2014, 10:19 PM
These were the prices for the 2012 prelim against Collingwood

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/09/13/1226473/760432-swans-v-collingwood.jpg

jono2707
8th September 2014, 10:31 PM
The pricing of tickets for the preliminary final is way too expensive. Looking at the pricing and the designated areas, there are hardly any of the cheapest sets available and personally $104 for a ticket is ridiculous.

Agreed - the pricing for the Sydney preliminary final is disgusting. Would be somewhat understandable if it was guaranteed to be a sellout, but the stadium will likely to 50-75% full (or 25-50% empty). In no way is this taking a swipe at the venue, but the pricing alone will be a huge factor in keeping the attendance to this game at an unfortunately disappointing level.

mcs
8th September 2014, 10:41 PM
Agreed - the pricing for the Sydney preliminary final is disgusting. Would be somewhat understandable if it was guaranteed to be a sellout, but the stadium will likely to 50-75% full (or 25-50% empty). In no way is this taking a swipe at the venue, but the pricing alone will be a huge factor in keeping the attendance to this game at an unfortunately disappointing level.

If we get it 75% full with the ridiculous preliminary final prices of the afl, it would be an outstanding achievement. Anything over 50k will be a really good crowd if you ask me, given the prices.

The pricing is just ridiculous - especially when a competing product in the nrl will have a game on elsewhere with tickets probably less than half the price (of course at only week 2 of their finals, not week 3).

The afl has to seriously reconsider its pricing for sydney finals if it wants to get the casual fans in that are needed to get a really big crowd on friday week.

barry
8th September 2014, 10:54 PM
$70 to sit at the top of the wings looking through your knees. Tell em their dreaming. All level 6 should be GA $30

stellation
8th September 2014, 11:00 PM
It appears to be only for the Victorian teams in semi 2? I haven't read anywhere that the Freo/Port members get the same benefit for semi 1. Is that right?

I believe the Freo/Port members received the discount if they'd bought tickets using their membership to their respective week 1 games- they may not have made as big a deal about it because it's likely to be a much smaller percentage of members that would attend a week 1 & 2 fixture for those clubs since it would require travel.

Danzar
8th September 2014, 11:17 PM
Correct for Port Erica. Port would never have received the discount because it could only have applied to top four teams - you got the discount if your team lost week 1. The discount wouldn't have been available for members of teams in Round 1 elimination.

We were offered it being a top four team, which means Freo must have had the same deal, and so on. It's just a balancing act to maximise spread of numbers across all three weeks I reckon.

barry
8th September 2014, 11:30 PM
The way youve got to look at it, is this , the prelim, is the biggest game of footy you can witness in sydney.

Danzar
8th September 2014, 11:38 PM
The way youve got to look at it, is this , the prelim, is the biggest game of footy you can witness in sydney.
...that sadly, because of a rip off pricing system, is out of reach for most Sydneysiders. Dropping those prices and restructuring the lower end of the price brackets will absolutely guarantee the 60,000 you've been advocating for. It will also widen the game's accessibility and in turn, widen the game's appeal.

ScottH
9th September 2014, 09:11 AM

And the best game with a true loyal crowd for both teams, given that the GF is not as it only has limited numbers of supporters per team.

Dave
9th September 2014, 09:16 AM
On the ANZ debate. When I played local Football in the 2000s, the tickets to go to the Swans games at ANZ were the easiest tickets to come across in living memory. Our head coach used to say at the end of training:

"I have 30 tickets to ANZ, who wants to go".

Has this practice been tightened up? Maybe someone involved in local Sydney Football can confirm if this still happens.

This happens with my son's club for Giants games now.

Matt80
9th September 2014, 09:35 AM
If we get it 75% full with the ridiculous preliminary final prices of the afl, it would be an outstanding achievement. Anything over 50k will be a really good crowd if you ask me, given the prices.

The pricing is just ridiculous - especially when a competing product in the nrl will have a game on elsewhere with tickets probably less than half the price (of course at only week 2 of their finals, not week 3).

The afl has to seriously reconsider its pricing for sydney finals if it wants to get the casual fans in that are needed to get a really big crowd on friday week.

I know people are calling for ANZ ticket pricing to be slashed, but there is financial information that ANZ Stadium, The Swans and the AFL know, that we don�t know.

More money might be made by maintaining Premium Pricing, getting 35,000 people and operating the Stadium at half capacity.
When you have huge parts of the Stadium not operating, you don�t need to pay event staff, catering staff and security guards to operate those sections. This may save significant costs and allow more money to be made.

If you halved the ticketing pricing and doubled the crowd, you would have the same ticketing revenue, but you would have to operate the stadium at full capacity and pay all the extra staff.

The AFL knows what makes money. If 35,000 people at Premium Pricing, at a half operating Stadium if the most effective profit model than we as a Swans Community should be supportive of this model.

There may be some brand damage by not hooking in more people to the excitement of AFL by slashing prices.

I would love to hear the views of Reggi and Barry to my above proposition.

mcs
9th September 2014, 09:53 AM
I know people are calling for ANZ ticket pricing to be slashed, but there is financial information that ANZ Stadium, The Swans and the AFL know, that we don�t know.

More money might be made by maintaining Premium Pricing, getting 35,000 people and operating the Stadium at half capacity.
When you have huge parts of the Stadium not operating, you don�t need to pay event staff, catering staff and security guards to operate those sections. This may save significant costs and allow more money to be made.

If you halved the ticketing pricing and doubled the crowd, you would have the same ticketing revenue, but you would have to operate the stadium at full capacity and pay all the extra staff.

The AFL knows what makes money. If 35,000 people at Premium Pricing, at a half operating Stadium if the most effective profit model than we as a Swans Community should be supportive of this model.

There may be some brand damage by not hooking in more people to the excitement of AFL by slashing prices.

It is clear that the AFL is using their monopoly power within this situation to eek out every dollar and clearly are setting prices at a level that they think maximises profits - like any monopolist with unlimited (or at least percieved unlimited) market power would do. I have no doubt there is significant truth in the approach you are saying. You have to remember where the $$$ from finals tickets go - it doesn't go to the Swans but to the AFL (unlike regular season matches).

Its a shame that is the approach the AFL is taking. Instead of pricing aggressively, and trying to get the casual fans in to watch the biggest (and generally the higher quality matches) of the season, it is only worried about lining its pockets as much as possible. Now I know revenue in finals is a key part of their overall model - but they also have a responsibility to try and grow the game, especially in the expansion markets where AFL is not the be all and end all of winter sport.

I don't think we should be supportive of such a model, as I don't think it is truly in the best interests of the game - which is what the AFL should really be focusing on.

Is the AFL solely a multimillion dollar business that is focused on making as much money as it can, or is it focused on growing and serving the game as it should?

My take is it should be tilted towards the second factor and not the first as it currently it.

The whole irony of the situation is that if the AFL aggressively set prices for finals, it is far more likely that the 'casual' fans that will get the big crowds will come along, watch some great footy, and in time become hooked on the sport - thus becoming members of the Swans (or in time the Giants), and in time, like us current Members, become more receptive to paying higher prices for tickets in finals. It will take time, but it will pay dividends.

Despite the extreme captalist view that 'More profit is automatically good', football should be about more than solely the bottom line. Its not like the AFL is exactly on struggle street and needing every single $ it can find.

Conor_Dillon
9th September 2014, 10:30 AM
360 and Footy Classified last night both reporting that the prelim will definitely be at ANZ stadium and that an announcement on that is expected within the next couple of days.

Jewels
9th September 2014, 10:39 AM

I think you are pretty much spot on here Matt but I don't think anybody is saying they should halve the ticket prices or anything that extreme, just reduce them by somewhere between10/20% to make them more attractive to the casual fan and I firmly believe that level 6 tix should be no more than $40.
This pricing structure would, in my opinion anyway, get bums on seats AND cover the stadium running costs.

goods78
9th September 2014, 10:45 AM

I don't think that revenue from a ANZ PF is the driving force.....the AFL will try and gorge as much cash from a packed MCG as possible, and it does not want fans moaning about $20 tickets at ANZ v MCG. The AFL will try and keep a flexible band of prices, but I am guessing they will be pegged to MCG tickets prices.

dimelb
9th September 2014, 11:10 AM
It is clear that the AFL is using their monopoly power within this situation to eek out every dollar and clearly are setting prices at a level that they think maximises profits - like any monopolist with unlimited (or at least percieved unlimited) market power would do. I have no doubt there is significant truth in the approach you are saying. You have to remember where the $$$ from finals tickets go - it doesn't go to the Swans but to the AFL (unlike regular season matches).

Its a shame that is the approach the AFL is taking. Instead of pricing aggressively, and trying to get the casual fans in to watch the biggest (and generally the higher quality matches) of the season, it is only worried about lining its pockets as much as possible. Now I know revenue in finals is a key part of their overall model - but they also have a responsibility to try and grow the game, especially in the expansion markets where AFL is not the be all and end all of winter sport.

I don't think we should be supportive of such a model, as I don't think it is truly in the best interests of the game - which is what the AFL should really be focusing on.

Is the AFL solely a multimillion dollar business that is focused on making as much money as it can, or is it focused on growing and serving the game as it should?

My take is it should be tilted towards the second factor and not the first as it currently it.

The whole irony of the situation is that if the AFL aggressively set prices for finals, it is far more likely that the 'casual' fans that will get the big crowds will come along, watch some great footy, and in time become hooked on the sport - thus becoming members of the Swans (or in time the Giants), and in time, like us current Members, become more receptive to paying higher prices for tickets in finals. It will take time, but it will pay dividends.

Despite the extreme captalist view that 'More profit is automatically good', football should be about more than solely the bottom line. Its not like the AFL is exactly on struggle street and needing every single $ it can find.

Pretty much as I see it too.

The irony is that the AFL is spending heaps on an advertising campaign (and they are very appealing ads) on footifying the nation. At ANZ, when they have a golden (I use the term deliberately) opportunity to spread the word, they reach for the dollar instead. A further irony is that if they thought medium term instead of short term they would actually achieve their goal sooner and the money would come with it. Terrible short term opportunistic thinking and bad business planning.

Ampersand
9th September 2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah I think the AFL is seriously underestimating the number is casual "fair weather" fans (which, in my opinion, is a totally fine status - not everyone needs to be completely obsessed with the Swans) and especially families for whom even a regular season game is an expensive exercise.

The solution to getting those people along, as everyone has mentioned, is cheap Level 6 tickets.

Kallias
9th September 2014, 11:28 AM

But double the crowd size means double the amount of food and beverages they sell - surely that would cover the costs of hiring extra staff, given the outrageous prices of everything out at ANZ.

Jewels
9th September 2014, 11:43 AM
But double the crowd size means double the amount of food and beverages they sell - surely that would cover the costs of hiring extra staff, given the outrageous prices of everything out at ANZ.

No it doesn't, the food and beverage outlets are on a contract basis so whilst it might be a gold mine to the contract holder, it would mean zero to the stadiums bottom line.

Mel_C
9th September 2014, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know whether the ticket prices for each category are the same for every ground? For instance for the Preliminary finals are the prices between the MCG and ANZ similar?

I found it interesting that there were 6,000 tickets left for the Freo Port game. You would think it would be a sell out... (could still be). I wonder if the prices for them were too expensive.

aardvark
9th September 2014, 11:52 AM
How about Geelong at the SCG. Do you reckon they're over it yet?

FOUR Nick Davis Goals v Geelong Cats @ SCG - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvH5yPHOaVg)

barry
9th September 2014, 11:54 AM
Food is a profit centre, so more people ther merrier. Security and ckeaning not so.

That is why the top decks of ANZ werent open last weekend.

Anz is probably more profitable at 40000 ( no top decks) than 45000. (Level 6 open) But above 60000 again more profitable.

ScottH
9th September 2014, 12:01 PM
How about Geelong at the SCG. Do you reckon they're over it yet?

FOUR Nick Davis Goals v Geelong Cats @ SCG - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvH5yPHOaVg)

4 last qtr Buddy goals??

Matt80
9th September 2014, 12:04 PM
Telstra are advertising half-price tickets as part of their "Thanks" campaign for this week�s matches.

Maybe the same will occur for the Preliminary Final at ANZ. The only catch is that you have to be a Telstra customer.

aardvark
9th September 2014, 12:37 PM
4 last qtr Buddy goals??

I'd like to see that!

Jewels
9th September 2014, 01:38 PM
4 last qtr Buddy goals??

Not if we have to survive the first three quarter heart attacks that we had to endure in 2005!
I'd like a nice comfortable three goal + lead from the outset thanks.

ScottH
9th September 2014, 01:56 PM
Not if we have to survive the first three quarter heart attacks that we had to endure in 2005!
I'd like a nice comfortable three goal + lead from the outset thanks.

Come on Jewels.
We love a nail biter final!!!

Conor_Dillon
9th September 2014, 02:03 PM
Come on Jewels.

Great new photo Scott!

ScottH
9th September 2014, 02:09 PM
Great new photo Scott!

:D

Jewels
9th September 2014, 02:50 PM
Come on Jewels.

No we don't!!!!

I thought I'd need an ambulance to revive me that night, God knows how I'd survive it now, nine years older!!!!!

Rob-bloods
9th September 2014, 05:58 PM
Approach in NSW is not well formulated despite millions being spent establishing GWS etc. Gillon has been spruking the improvement of the 'match day' experience to the clubs relating to overseas sporting events and Ports Powers "success" with their activities at AO. Bit hypocritical given Port could not draw a good crowd to their old (highly unpopular) oval but we get sent to unpopular Homebush because of an essentially AFL deal!

Matt80
9th September 2014, 06:12 PM
Approach in NSW is not well formulated despite millions being spent establishing GWS etc. Gillon has been spruking the improvement of the 'match day' experience to the clubs relating to overseas sporting events and Ports Powers "success" with their activities at AO. Bit hypocritical given Port could not draw a good crowd to their old (highly unpopular) oval but we get sent to unpopular Homebush because of an essentially AFL deal!

The crowds at Port picked up due to the performance of their team and the entertainment expertise and experience that their President was able to bring to the match day experience.

Adelaide Oval was a bonus to their crowd numbers.

churry
9th September 2014, 06:34 PM

If it's a bonus it's a huge one, AAMI was terrible in comparison. I would highly recommend going to Adelaide Oval, it is brilliant. The Crows didn't even make the finals and had the biggest overall crowd for the year so the ground obviously plays a huge part. Swans success brought 35k to ANZ.

The Big Cat
9th September 2014, 06:55 PM
These grounds well away from the city just don't cut it. The reason Adelaide Oval is so successful is that you can walk from the CBD (if that's not a misnomer for Adelaide), just the same way as The G and Docklands are popular in Melbourne. Waverley was a cold soulless place the same as was AAMI park. You had to plan your visit for a week, sit in traffic for hours and then walk 10 Kms when you couldn't find a park.. With these city ovals you can just walk across on a whim. Administrators never learn. The old Showgrounds trotting track in Melbourne used to attract tens of thousands every Saturday night because it was close and you could put your hand out and touch the horses on the track. It became too small in circumference for the speed of modern horses, but instead of extending it they moved it to Moonee Valley on the inside of the Gallops track and the intimacy was gone and so were the crowds. Now out at Melton nobody goes, similarly to Sydney, way out at Menangle. Build it near the city and they will come!

mcs
9th September 2014, 07:41 PM
The crowds at Port picked up due to the performance of their team and the entertainment expertise and experience that their President was able to bring to the match day experience.

I would strongly argue its really a combination of improved performance and the move to the Adelaide Oval. The other factor you've listed is really just an 'icing' on the cake - but we know of your great endearment for Port's President, so we won't go there :tongue:

AAMI stadium was a dump - in the middle of nowhere, with little around, hard to get to, and really not a particularly great place to watch football. The new Adelaide Oval is absolutely fantastic - right in the city, great facilities and a high quality match day experience through a combination of the old (the old scoreboard and the hill) and the new (Some fantastic new stands which give a fantastic viewing experience for AFL).

I went to AAMI for the port game last year, and to the Adelaide Oval for the Crows game this year. Different teams I know, but the experience couldn't be more different.

I think there is some quite strong validity to what Big Cat has said about inner city venues - although I don't think it is the be all and end all either. Many big stadiums overseas are often located a long way from both the traditional base of their tenant clubs and also the centre of the city, but still have a similar great experience (no doubt helped by the different nature of soccer/NFL/various other sports fans compared to AFL).

stellation
9th September 2014, 08:16 PM
Apparently we've basically sold no tickets at all to the PF so far. People don't want to go to Homebush.

I do like the swimming pool there, though. I find swimming laps there exciting, sometimes a different line to chase is as good as a holiday.

Matt80
9th September 2014, 08:41 PM
I would strongly argue its really a combination of improved performance and the move to the Adelaide Oval. The other factor you've listed is really just an 'icing' on the cake - but we know of your great endearment for Port's President, so we won't go there :tongue:

AAMI stadium was a dump - in the middle of nowhere, with little around, hard to get to, and really not a particularly great place to watch football. The new Adelaide Oval is absolutely fantastic - right in the city, great facilities and a high quality match day experience through a combination of the old (the old scoreboard and the hill) and the new (Some fantastic new stands which give a fantastic viewing experience for AFL).

I went to AAMI for the port game last year, and to the Adelaide Oval for the Crows game this year. Different teams I know, but the experience couldn't be more different.

I think there is some quite strong validity to what Big Cat has said about inner city venues - although I don't think it is the be all and end all either. Many big stadiums overseas are often located a long way from both the traditional base of their tenant clubs and also the centre of the city, but still have a similar great experience (no doubt helped by the different nature of soccer/NFL/various other sports fans compared to AFL).

The reason that outer city grounds don't work is because as a society we have not embraced the amazing American Football tradition of Tailgating.

The NFL stadiums are built in outer suburbs and have huge outdoor car parks. People park their cars usually many hours before the game and then set up barbecues in the car park. They then have parties in the car park where friends and sometimes random people bring their own meat and beer and use an available barbecue. People talk, party and have a great time.

It could be as simple at Matt80 posting a message on Red and White saying he has a barbecue set up in a certain part of the car park and invites Red and White people to join him. MCS, Meg, Mel, Stellation Liz, Barry, DamY, Ugg, Erica, Goodes78, Ludwig ScottH and Jewels then come to Matt80s barbecue with their Meat and Beer. The party then gets started hours before the first bounce.

It would never be aloud in Australia because some bureaucratic fool would determine that their is a food poisoning risk and shut the process down.

I think the outer suburban stadiums would work if Tailgating was encouraged and embraced.

God Bless America!

Ludwig
9th September 2014, 08:53 PM
God Bless America!

Jewels
9th September 2014, 08:54 PM
The reason that outer city grounds don't work is because as a society we have not embraced the amazing American Football tradition of Tailgating.

The NFL stadiums are built in outer suburbs and have huge outdoor car parks. People park their cars usually many hours before the game and then set up barbecues in the car park. They then have parties in the car park where friends and sometimes random people bring their own meat and beer and use an available barbecue. People talk, party and have a great time.

It could be as simple at Matt80 posting a message on Red and White saying he has a barbecue set up in a certain part of the car park and invites Red and White people to join him. MCS, Meg, Mel, Stellation Liz, Barry, DamY, Ugg, Erica, Goodes78, Ludwig ScottH and Jewels then come to Matt80s barbecue with their Meat and Beer. The party then gets started hours before the first bounce.

It would never be aloud in Australia because some bureaucratic fool would determine that their is a food poisoning risk and shut the process down.

I think the outer suburban stadiums would work if Tailgating was encouraged and embraced.

God Bless America!

Wardy conducts a lovely soiree along those lines in the MCG car park before every Swans grand final :wink:

ScottH
9th September 2014, 08:59 PM
Wardy conducts a lovely soiree along those lines in the MCG car park before every Swans grand final :wink:

Unfortunately there will be no Grange and no Wardy this year.

But we really need to do an RWO meetup.
That would be nice.

mcs
9th September 2014, 09:06 PM

God Bless America!

Ill take your work on the amazingness of American tailgating :wink:

I was more talking about football grounds in Europe for my examples, where that is most certainly not a usual practice of tailgating :p

A R&W meet up somewhere in Melbourne on GF day, even just for a drink together before the game would be awesome though :)

Matt80
9th September 2014, 10:17 PM
This is the tailgating set up I'm talking about. This is the New York Giants Tailgating party at the Meadowlands. The stadium is 50 minutes outside New York City.

Imagine if ANZ embraced Tailgating. It has the space.

It would be so much fun. Look at that food.

Giants tailgate season begins - New York Post - YouTube (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8bsXkeJ-FXQ)

Jewels
9th September 2014, 10:36 PM
Can we get back on track please, the mods have been working overtime lately so lets save them the effort this time....

Ludwig
9th September 2014, 10:52 PM
Can we get back on track please, the mods have been working overtime lately so lets save them the effort this time....How about a compromise?

http://aflinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/USA-v-Canada-AFL-640x359.jpg

barry
9th September 2014, 11:18 PM
Having been to many big sporting events at ANZ this year, I have to say the match day experience is pretty lame at AFL. Even after this great final win and a quick rendition of CHEER CHEER the ground announcer was quick to say ... " and that concludes the first final".

Luckily there is lots of parkland around for a kick to kick.

State of origin left it for dead. The build up. The half tine. The end.

Xie Shan
10th September 2014, 12:06 AM
But we really need to do an RWO meetup.
That would be nice.

We had one the night before the 2012 GF, I had dinner with a few RWOers (including Go Swannies and the great man Des himself!) at the Rising Sun in South Melbourne. I'll probably do something similar with my group anyway so a pub dinner or something would be ideal, allow people to go with their own groups but also mingle.

The Big Cat
10th September 2014, 12:15 AM

`The before, the half time and the end are needed to make it worth going.

Doctor
10th September 2014, 12:32 AM
Having been to many big sporting events at ANZ this year, I have to say the match day experience is pretty lame at AFL. Even after this great final win and a quick rendition of CHEER CHEER the ground announcer was quick to say ... " and that concludes the first final".

Luckily there is lots of parkland around for a kick to kick.

The whole aim of that place is to get you out as quickly as they can. The bars and food outlets are closed early in the 4th qtr and they want everyone out of there and on to buses or trains so they can turn the place into a wasteland again. The SCG is no different. Stadia in Europe keep their bars and food outlets open for an hour after the game, which helps significantly with staggering crowd management (that can be read two ways) and also helps the post-game atmosphere.

Danzar
10th September 2014, 12:53 AM
Apparently we've basically sold no tickets at all to the PF so far. People don't want to go to Homebush.

I do like the swimming pool there, though. I find swimming laps there exciting, sometimes a different line to chase is as good as a holiday.
:clap:

ScottH
10th September 2014, 09:39 AM
We had one the night before the 2012 GF, I had dinner with a few RWOers (including Go Swannies and the great man Des himself!) at the Rising Sun in South Melbourne. I'll probably do something similar with my group anyway so a pub dinner or something would be ideal, allow people to go with their own groups but also mingle.

I missed that one!!

Zlatorog
10th September 2014, 02:32 PM
It's been confirmed now. ANZ Stadium it is!
Preliminary Final confirmed for ANZ Stadium - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-09-10/preliminary-final-confirmed-for-anz-stadium)

troyjones2525
10th September 2014, 02:37 PM
Now it's been confirmed we can get over the "where it should be" stuff and look forward to the big game! If the weather's ok the ground should be in the best condition it's ever been in due to the fact no games have been played there in nearly 2 weeks! Let's hope so anyway!

barry
10th September 2014, 03:27 PM
The AFL should make non-victorian preliminary finals like a grand-final experience. Have all the extra entertainment, because for a lot of people in those cities, it is the biggest AFL game of the year they can get to. Christ, its not as if they arent making a motsa out of it.

Doctor
10th September 2014, 03:42 PM
Now it's been confirmed we can get over the "where it should be" stuff and look forward to the big game! If the weather's ok the ground should be in the best condition it's ever been in due to the fact no games have been played there in nearly 2 weeks! Let's hope so anyway!

Agreed on all counts.

Untamed Snark
10th September 2014, 04:27 PM
The AFL should make non-victorian preliminary finals like a grand-final experience. Have all the extra entertainment, because for a lot of people in those cities, it is the biggest AFL game of the year they can get to. Christ, its not as if they arent making a motsa out of it.

So long as they don't charge grand final rates!!
But I agree, it would help bring the crowds in

Matt80
10th September 2014, 04:34 PM

What about an event where hard core Tailgating is introduced to Australia at ANZ?

barry
10th September 2014, 04:35 PM
What about an event where hard core Tailgating is introduced to Australia at ANZ?

All the carparks are high-rise, so I cant see how tailgating would get off the ground.

dimelb
10th September 2014, 04:45 PM
All the carparks are high-rise, so I cant see how tailgating would get off the ground.

Now there's a contradiction in terms. :smile:

mcs
10th September 2014, 05:01 PM
Maybe during the regular season games , they could just let the tailgating people park on the wings of the ground before the game, and shuffle 'em off 10 minutes before..... :rofl

Matt80
10th September 2014, 05:02 PM

There is all that concrete space between ANZ and All Phones Arena (concert venue). They could have one there.

jono2707
10th September 2014, 05:11 PM
There is all that concrete space between ANZ and All Phones Arena (concert venue). They could have one there.

Nothing stopping you starting the trend with that case of beer you somehow think you'll be owed....

floppinab
10th September 2014, 05:25 PM
Actually the "tailgaiting" thing has been around in Aus. for quite a while although in a slightly different manner. As a veteran of many Footy Park matches in Adelaide the whole barby in the carpark thing was pretty common during Finals series particularly and the Grand Final during the SANFL in the 70's and 80's. One of my earliest memories was hanging around in the carpark for a barby post game in the 1976 SANFL GF at Footy Park (the game that will forever hold the crowd record at that ground). I gather similar traditions were in place @ the MCG.

There was a couple of Hawks groups in 2012 that had a sizable marquee and tent setup. Does anyone know how you would get permission for that???

Matt80
10th September 2014, 05:36 PM
Nothing stopping you starting the trend with that case of beer you somehow think you'll be owed....

It was just a joke. I was getting slapped down for some of my theories and I got excited when one of them started gaining momentum. No body owes me a case of beer.

Ludwig may be flying in from Thailand to host a Red and White Tailgating party if one of theses theories comes off.

barry
10th September 2014, 05:47 PM

Yeah, but what do you do with your BBQ when the game is about to start. The idea of having your car there, is you can packup and head on into the game.

Logistics man!

jono2707
10th September 2014, 06:12 PM
It was just a joke. I was getting slapped down for some of my theories and I got excited when one of them started gaining momentum. No body owes me a case of beer.

Ludwig may be flying in from Thailand to host a Red and White Tailgating party if one of theses theories comes off.

With your sheer volume of posts, and your constant 'theorising' to the detriment of the contributions of everyone else, its impossible to tell if you're joking.

Ludwig
10th September 2014, 06:58 PM

I'm already here, but still stuck in traffic trying to get to the Freo game. :tongue:

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/11/06/1226754/337333-35700d1e-469f-11e3-b6cf-917abbb54065.jpg

Matt80
10th September 2014, 08:21 PM
Yeah, but what do you do with your BBQ when the game is about to start. The idea of having your car there, is you can packup and head on into the game.

Logistics man!

They set up Tailgating spots. The vehicle must be a van or large ute. You register for your special Tailgating spot.

You put your barbecue and supplies back in your large vehicle to go into the game.

After the game you can pull the barbecue and supplies out again and restart the party.

They should get Tailgating going in the car park of the SCG.

This is an American tradition that I believe could become big in Australia with some innovative planning. The catering companies in the stadiums would have a lot to say about the practice.

DamY
10th September 2014, 08:30 PM
Would love a barbie at ANZ

DamY
10th September 2014, 08:31 PM
Does anyone think the Members Bar at ANZ will be made available for the Preliminary Final?? I'll get budget tickets again if that's the case

Meg
10th September 2014, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know how many tickets a member can buy for the prelim in the members' priority period?

erica
10th September 2014, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know how many tickets a member can buy for the prelim in the members' priority period?

Not yet but I don't think there will be any shortage of available tickets.

barry
10th September 2014, 09:35 PM
Tailgatting sounds cool. For ANZ you could bring along one of those disposable BBQ's. Fire up a meal and a kick around before the game in cathy freeman park just outside the ground.

DamY
10th September 2014, 09:38 PM

Probably 10 each again

SthMelbDieHard
11th September 2014, 10:18 AM
Hoping for some help regarding planning for Prelim.

I'm travelling up with my young boys (5 and 7) from Melbourne for the game and will be staying in Darling Harbour. This will be a long day for the kids so I was thinking a taxi might be the best bet in getting too and from the ground. Can anyone help in letting me know if taxi's are readily available after the game? Any other suggestions would be apprieciated!

Cheer Cheer

Zlatorog
11th September 2014, 10:26 AM
It's Friday evening and you should avoid any form of transport on 4 wheels leaving the City. Get to the nearest train station and ride for free to Olympic Park.

Matt80
11th September 2014, 10:36 AM

I'm travelling up with my young boys (5 and 7) from Melbourne for the game and will be staying in Darling Harbour. This will be a long day for the kids so I was thinking a taxi might be the best bet in getting too and from the ground. Can anyone help in letting me know if taxi's are readily available after the game? Any other suggestions would be apprieciated!

Cheer Cheer

Light rail to Central. Then direct train to Homebush. The kids will love the tram. My four year old loves it.

stellation
11th September 2014, 10:56 AM

Cheer Cheer
Taxi availability is really going to depend on how big the crowd ends up being, but it might not be easy to get one (they will be there, but lots of people will want them) and may prove extremely expensive (with the traffic after the game/distance budget for around $100). I'd agree with Matt on catching a tram, if you get yourself via train from Olympic Park station (train will be a bit crowded for little ones, but empties out quickly) to Central you can go upstairs to the main building (look for platforms 1-12, where the countrylink/intercity trains leave) and the tram stop is just outside there. It goes from Central down to Haymarket then through Darling Harbour. I'm not sure how late they run, but I think they would still be running and the taxi rank is also upstairs as well if you need it instead.

There are also special events buses, but I'm not sure if any of those would work for you or not.

The state transport site is pretty good for browsing through and getting an idea of public transport options: http://www.transportnsw.info/ , it may not be updated just yet with any additional services for next Friday based on the game.

SthMelbDieHard
11th September 2014, 11:38 AM
Thank you all for helping with this planning. Some great advice which really helps....tram and train seems the go!

Thanks again and Go Bloods.

jono2707
11th September 2014, 11:45 AM
Yes the tram will be the way to go - and it stops just outside the country terminal at Central, which is where the Olympic Park trains run from, so it's just a short walk across the country concourse to the platforms. Easy.

stellation
11th September 2014, 12:05 PM
Thank you all for helping with this planning. Some great advice which really helps....tram and train seems the go!

Thanks again and Go Bloods.
Depending on their interests, but at that age if you really want to blow their mind the Powerhouse Museum has a Wiggles exhibition on at the moment as well and is just around the corner from Darling Harbour as well.

SthMelbDieHard
11th September 2014, 12:14 PM
Depending on their interests, but at that age if you really want to blow their mind the Powerhouse Museum has a Wiggles exhibition on at the moment as well and is just around the corner from Darling Harbour as well.

Great suggestion....thanks!

We are staying for the weekend and the kids can't wait for their first boys trip. Along with the footy the museum and zoo (weather permitting) appear great options.

Untamed Snark
11th September 2014, 12:38 PM
Great suggestion....thanks!

We are staying for the weekend and the kids can't wait for their first boys trip. Along with the footy the museum and zoo (weather permitting) appear great options.

If weather is bad the Aquarium is beautiful and in Darling Harbour as well, or catch a ferry to the smaller aquarium in Manly