PDA

View Full Version : Security high alert

Swansinger
24th September 2014, 11:40 AM
I do not expect any extremist action on Friday or Saturday.
Still,please read this :

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/police-on-high-alert-for-afl-grand-final-and-city-parade/story-fni0fit3-1227068216386)

If you are going to the game,then getting into the MCG will be a bit slower,so please make allowances for that.

Swansongster
24th September 2014, 11:49 AM
I do not expect any extremist action on Friday or Saturday.
Still,please read this :

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/police-on-high-alert-for-afl-grand-final-and-city-parade/story-fni0fit3-1227068216386)

If you are going to the game,then getting into the MCG will be a bit slower,so please make allowances for that.

We are more likely to get struck by lightning twice after losing a leg in a Port Phillip Bay shark attack than we are likely to fall victim to terrorism.

Smokescreen by failed government to divert attention from their divisive policies.

Be informed, not afraid.

P.S. Not a crack at Singer. Good advice to allow a little extra time.

Go Swannies
24th September 2014, 11:54 AM
I thought this was going to be about feral Dawks.

Seriously, a friend was at a Dogs game in Melbourne recently and was abused (to tears) for wearing a Swans scarf by supporters parroting Eddie's lies.

Matt80
24th September 2014, 12:00 PM
We are more likely to get struck by lightning twice after losing a leg in a Port Phillip Bay shark attack than we are likely to fall victim to terrorism.

Smokescreen by failed government to divert attention from their divisive policies.

Be informed, not afraid.

P.S. Not a crack at Singer. Good advice to allow a little extra time.

I won't disclose my source, but I've been told this whole terrorism threat is to be taken seriously. It's not a political stunt to help the conservatives fight on their favoured political ground and divert attention from the Budget. "It's Real".

I will be going to the GF on Saturday despite my wife's fears, but I will be taking direction and following orders efficiently if given out by The Australian Federal Police.

Respect the AFP and follow all directions of Law enforcement personnel on the day.

Zlatorog
24th September 2014, 12:05 PM
Nobody should treat terrorism threat lightly. This is a serious stuff. If IS wants to make some statement this is a perfect opportunity for them. So be vigilant and follow instructions when entering the G.

Go Swannies
24th September 2014, 12:21 PM
Nobody should treat terrorism threat lightly. This is a serious stuff. If IS wants to make some statement this is a perfect opportunity for them. So be vigilant and follow instructions when entering the G.

C'mon Tony told Kotchie didn't he?

I'd expect our involvement in Iraq will increase the threat at home but I doubt whether IS here is more organised than IS there. And I wonder if the NRL with its ethnic allegiances is at greater risk?

I expect I'm under greater threat of attack by a follower of that hate-spouting mullah McGuire.

Zlatorog
24th September 2014, 12:38 PM
Sorry, but I won't derailed this warning by being political like you do. This is still a democracy and if the government issues a warning you take it seriously not mocking it because you oppose it politically. If something bad happens we tend to blame government first for not doing anything about it. We put this government in power and we will remove them if they fail us. That is how it should be done. IS has no such democratic plans either for this country or any other one they are fighting for/against.

mcs
24th September 2014, 12:41 PM
Whatever will be, will be.

Outside of obvious things - I.e. I see a scary looking guy dropping a bag and running away or an unattended item etc, how am I ever going to be in a position to stop it? Why worry about a risk that you can't do anything to get rid of, apart from what you would normally do anyway. I have a flag to help the boys in Red and White win.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't disclose my source, but I've been told this whole terrorism threat is to be taken seriously. It's not a political stunt to help the conservatives fight on their favoured political ground and divert attention from the Budget. "It's Real".

I will be going to the GF on Saturday despite my wife's fears, but I will be taking direction and following orders efficiently if given out by The Australian Federal Police.

Respect the AFP and follow all directions of Law enforcement personnel on the day.

I didn't even need to look to know who wrote this :tongue:

There is no doubt there is some validity to the threat - but how much of it is above normal levels anyway, and how much of it is a beat up by the current Government, I don't know.

I'm sure its a mixture of both - its not like the Tories running the joint havent got previous form for doing similar things previously....

mcs
24th September 2014, 12:45 PM
Sorry, but I won't derailed this warning by being political like you do. This is still a democracy and if the government issues a warning you take it seriously not mocking it because you oppose it politically. If something bad happens we tend to blame government first for not doing anything about it. We put this government in power and we will remove them if they fail us. That is how it should be done. IS has no such democratic plans either for this country or any other one they are fighting for/against.

Noone is not saying to take the warning seriously - but people are well within their right to be cynical about the intentions of those at the top, as they are only in the game to stay in power.

A lot of people are paid a lot of money to keep our country safe, and they do it day in, day out, without needing it blown up by the PM to be some sort of 'national emergency', when there is a distinct lack of evidence that there have been any actual direct threats against Australia. Of course there may have been and they haven't told us about it, but surely that could be dealt with without trying to foster fear and scare mongering in the community. I.e. let those paid to do that job to get on with it, and the rest of us to get on with living our lives and doing what we do anyway - i.e. alert to the issue but unreasonably alarmed about it.

swansrob
24th September 2014, 12:52 PM
How about we all just exercise a sensible amount of caution (what constitutes a sensible amount will be up to the individual and can include no caution at all) and enjoy the week/Saturday afternoon?

DamY
24th September 2014, 12:53 PM
I would be critical of any involvement by Australia in the Middle Eaast regardless who's in control, I do think it's still relevant. But once again thank you for sharing this, important to be informed no matter our political leanings

Go Swannies
24th September 2014, 01:17 PM
Maybe my cynicism was showing. Sorry.

Three important pieces of info:

Arrive early and be prepared for a more thorough bag check.

As I just warned some teenage Swans supporters heading down for the game - don't buy into COLA arguments as it's not your city and like most, there are pockets of violence.

And report any abandoned parcels - it might be Cyril after he blows up chasing Jets.

aardvark
24th September 2014, 01:27 PM

I hope they're not doing strip searches, I might have to head out for a wax!:tongue:

Go Swannies
24th September 2014, 01:31 PM
I hope they're not doing strip searches, I might have to head out for a wax!:tongue:

I'll be in my game-day red undies but I hate to image how Hawks fans replicate their team colours!

Danzar
24th September 2014, 01:34 PM
Maybe my cynicism was showing. Sorry.

Three important pieces of info:

As I just warned some teenage Swans supporters heading down for the game - don't buy into COLA arguments as it's not your city and like most, there are pockets of violence.

And report any abandoned parcels - it might be Cyril after he blows up chasing Jets.
Best advice I've heard on this entire issue to date.

ShockOfHair
24th September 2014, 01:48 PM
There was a genuine threat against the 2005 grand final. Forget the details - possibly planned bomb attack? So it's not the first time.

Doctor
24th September 2014, 02:03 PM

I completely agree. I doubt they're well organised out here yet to be able to affect an event as large scale as this but it doesn't hurt to be cautious. So far the local IS presence seems to be the equivalent of disaffected youth jumping on a bandwagon but there's no guarantee that it'll stay like that forever.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Swansinger
24th September 2014, 08:53 PM
There was a genuine threat against the 2005 grand final. Forget the details - possibly planned bomb attack? So it's not the first time.

That's right. The threat,prevented by the unsung heroes of ASIO and the police,was not revealed until 2008.

mcs
24th September 2014, 09:02 PM
That's right. The threat,prevented by the unsung heroes of ASIO and the police,was not revealed until 2008.

And that's the way it should be done.

I'm all for making sure the public is 'alert', which I think most are now anyway, but I'm against the hysteria building that I would argue a number of politicians, of both political persuasions, have used over the last decade and a bit since 9/11.

Ludwig
24th September 2014, 09:56 PM
This is just the typical government propaganda to frighten the public into supporting U.S. foreign policy that would otherwise be very unpopular in Australia. Body bags are a hard sell.

A couple of US stats for the record. Since 9/11

The number of indictments (let alone trials or convictions) associated with the 911 attack: ZERO
The number of alleged attempted terrorist attacks that did not involve FBI infiltration and inducements: ZERO

We are just following the leader.

Ampersand
24th September 2014, 10:43 PM
C'mon guys, there's a time and place for political discussions but a Swans forum in Grand Final week isn't one of them.

aardvark
24th September 2014, 10:47 PM
C'mon guys, there's a time and place for political discussions but a Swans forum in Grand Final week isn't one of them.

+1

Ludwig
25th September 2014, 12:07 AM
I think I should have a right to respond to someone who has called me an idiot and should be ashamed to call myself an Aussie because I don't believe in his particular political views. I only offer my non football views in response to others' posts.

Danzar
25th September 2014, 12:10 AM
Hey guys, please, cool it down. This is a very sensitive issue and there will always be opposing views. Keep it balanced or take it elsewhere.

@S.S Bleeder - up to you. You're very welcome here, but I ask you to please consider this Nick Davis thread as a starting point for what I hope will be a long and happy RWO relationship. Nick Davis in the 2014 Swans (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/39040-Nick-Davis-in-the-2014-Swans)

Danzar
25th September 2014, 12:15 AM
I think I should have a right to respond to someone who has called me an idiot and should be ashamed to call myself an Aussie because I don't believe in his particular political views. I only offer my non football views in response to others' posts.
Understood Ludwig, but you know why I'm taking these posts off. It's a heated issue and we're all just going to fight with each other.

Matt80
25th September 2014, 07:10 AM
I don't want to enrage people here, but there is a point to be made.

Mr Abbott and Mr Shorten are on a unity ticket with the IS terrorism threat. They are working together in a bi-partisan manner to protect the Australian community and protect our values of Democracy and Freedom. They represent over 90% of the Parliament.

Lets all enjoy the match day experience at the MCG, but let's all be alert, vigilant and be ready to follow the instructions of the AFP efficiently.

25th September 2014, 08:03 AM
I don't want to enrage people here, but there is a point to be made.

You're point's been made ... twice ... 25 posts have been made about the security issue in this thread. I think we, as a RWO community, are well aware of the concerns. Back to footy talk now?