PDA

View Full Version : What line do you use?

goswannies
1st October 2014, 08:04 AM
I've had a lot of people, since I've returned to work, kindly offer their condolences about the weekend. I'm positive others will have experienced the same. What is an appropriate reply to such well intentioned offerings of sympathy? What have people gone with?
"There's always next year"?
"The window is still open"?
"Hawthorn were simply too good"?
"It was a pretty good year - apart from the bookends of a 1 & 3 start and a slow motion train wreck of a grand final"?

Or, if you have mean spirited colleagues who thrive on our misery, what's a decent comeback to them? I've got one of them coming up soon ... tips would be welcome :D

royboy42
1st October 2014, 08:35 AM
I'm simply saying thanks, but my swans mates and I have declared it " never to be mentioned again" . If pushed I"ll add that Haw played their best possible game, and we played our worst possible game. Sadly, they occurred simultaneously

aardvark
1st October 2014, 09:06 AM
I just agree with whatever they say then move on quickly.......

jcroz29
1st October 2014, 09:36 AM
Philosophically state that the Swans didn't learn from the first four weeks: if you don't tackle you don't win.

Mel_C
1st October 2014, 09:38 AM
An ex co-worker said this to me after the game, "it could be worse, you could barrack for st kilda".

neilfws
1st October 2014, 09:44 AM
I've been using "I've seen them play plenty of games like that before...just never in a Grand Final."

But really, what is there to say. It was just awful.

goswannie14
1st October 2014, 09:47 AM
Beaten by the better team on the day. They wanted it more.

Doctor J.
1st October 2014, 09:48 AM
There is nothing to say.

I walk away from any such conversations.

magic.merkin
1st October 2014, 09:49 AM
"At least i worked on my tan at the game."

Jewels
1st October 2014, 10:09 AM
I simply say ( and its true) Its too soon, I am in mourning and still can't face it and expect to be this way till we win our next flag, so please never broach the subject again!

As I said in another thread, I am an ostrich-and proud of it!

dimelb
1st October 2014, 10:16 AM
"You really want me to dump @@@@ on you when it's my turn? Grow up."

baskin
1st October 2014, 10:35 AM
Or, if you have mean spirited colleagues who thrive on our misery, what's a decent comeback to them? I've got one of them coming up soon ... tips would be welcome :D

The only people mean spirited enough to try to say anything nasty to me so far have been Hawks supporters. I nip it in the bud by approaching them quickly, offering them a hand shake and and a sincere "congratulations, good game". It puts them back a bit and they forget they were about to get in my face. We taught this to my son years ago and now he turns around at the end of most games and finds a random supporter to shake hands with. It really does stop them in their tracks.

goswannie14
1st October 2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I think I will be visiting a few offices on Tuesday when I get back to work with that approach, 4 of them are Hawks supporters.

One of them won't be a problem, as he commented on how well I treated him after 2012, the other three have come to the office since then, only time will tell!

AnnieH
1st October 2014, 01:15 PM
@@@@ off.
Piss off.
Go to hell.
Get stuffed.
Go and get a life.
I'm in mourning, if you don't leave me alone, (because I'm so mentally distressed) the courts will let me get away with murder. You have been warned.

Dan
1st October 2014, 01:38 PM
What line? I don't think I have spoken to anyone yet.

Matt80
1st October 2014, 01:42 PM
It was great to get 2012 because these guys are a far superior team.

Dosser
1st October 2014, 03:11 PM
I just look at them and say "Go Renegades"

Big Al
1st October 2014, 03:25 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/03aae48434f25db42994e5fb44282c8d.jpg

Swandering
1st October 2014, 07:55 PM
I decorated the car last week, and on the back window I had "Go Swans". On Sunday morning I added "Premiers...2015" and it is still there and will stay for a few weeks.
Other than this, I have only experienced genuine sympathy. I have also bored a few people with my impassioned analysis of what went wrong.

Hotpotato
2nd October 2014, 11:47 AM
Oh, we didn't go down for the Football, my wife wanted to take me to an Art Gallery to look at some etchings, they were awesome, unforgettable.
You should have been there, the exhibition closed yesterday.

Sydswan1
2nd October 2014, 11:50 AM
Acknowledge that Hawthorn were too fast, too hard and too good. Hopefully we will have another chance in the next few years (assuming Port, Freo & Geel don't build up too quickly during the trade & draft periods) #proudlysydney

mcsquirta
2nd October 2014, 04:40 PM
I've only just got back from Melbourne but managed to survive most of the time by wearing frumpy clothes, drinking weak latte and calling everybody "Hodgey". On a few tight occasions I had to admit that Yeah, it was a hard game to sit through and was the worst Grannie shellacking I've seen since 1985... then count to 10. And if they still haven't twigged by then, just smile and mutter How much is Essendon 170 minus Hawks 92? Oh yeah, 78 points. :smile:

Bloodthirsty
2nd October 2014, 08:31 PM
Carry around a fake yet realistic-looking gun, and when they say something, pull it out and scream hysterically.

MightyBloods
2nd October 2014, 09:06 PM
My line has been (putting my hands up) "No, no!!! Don't tell me the result!!! I taped it!
They freeze and just move on to something else. It works for me.

Go Swannies
2nd October 2014, 11:29 PM
My line has been (putting my hands up) "No, no!!! Don't tell me the result!!! I taped it!
They freeze and just move on to something else. It works for me.

I think that's the first time I've laughed since 5pm last Saturday.

Mel_C
2nd October 2014, 11:40 PM
"At least I don't barrack for Essendon."

floppinab
3rd October 2014, 08:40 AM
I had this sent to me.

You guys were meant to "Don't go quietly"

Haven't been able to think of a good comeback

Jewels
3rd October 2014, 10:21 AM
I had this sent to me.

That picture paints a thousand words! Can't imagine any comeback for that.

mcsquirta
3rd October 2014, 11:02 AM

No Speaky ze English porfavor ??

mcsquirta
3rd October 2014, 11:58 AM
on second thoughts, it doesn't hurt to push back a little. Ask the sender... So does this mean you finally accept that we beat you fair and square in 2012? or am I the only one who's expected to man up?

Margo
3rd October 2014, 02:02 PM
Everyone knows how much I love my boys and wouldn't be nasty about it, but I know there's some knobs out there who get pleasure from rubbing it in. I think they try to get some sort of reflected glory. Pathetic.

floppinab
3rd October 2014, 03:56 PM
No Speaky ze English porfavor ??

Ha, ha, I like. I think I'll just lay low, I ah, ahem, remember handing out plenty to the sender in 2012!!!!

Primmy
4th October 2014, 06:08 PM
Those of us who know each other, look, glare, slide our eyes past each other and growl. Even those out there who know how I feel but don't give a rats about the Swans just sighed and didn't say anything much. It has been handled all round like a funeral of a beloved relative.

Then last night Kizz made everyone at the B&F stand and hug the person next to them. This was a brilliant idea, and everyone felt better. An awful lot of people were feeling the same, and it was shared and made lighter.

wycx
4th October 2014, 09:16 PM
Unexpected, but not unsurprising.

The Swans have demonstrated they have it in them to collectively not turn up to a game. It is unfortunate that it happened in this particular game, and for all 4 quarters.