PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Swans best 22, 2015 AFL Premiership Season

Conor_Dillon
17th October 2014, 01:26 PM
Thought I'd have a crack at our best team for next year, haven't included AJ because he is unlikely to play in 2015,

Here goes...

B: Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Dane Rampe

HB: Sam Reid, Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh

C: Lewis Jetta, Tom Mitchell, Dan Hannebery

HF: Harry Cunningham, Lance Franklin, Kieren Jack

FF: Ben McGlynn, Kurt Tippett, Adam Goodes

F: Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker

I/C: Craig Bird, Gary Rohan, Rhyce Shaw, Jake Lloyd (s)

Emg: Jeremy Laidler, Zak Jones, George Hewett

Brandon Jack
Dean Towers
Tom Derrickx
Allir Allir
Toby Nankervis
Daniel Robinson
Xavier Richards
Isaac Heeney
Jack Hiscox
Abaina Davis
Draft pick #37
Harrison Marsh*
Alex Johnson*

note: * denotes currently uncontracted players

Sam Naismith
Lloyd Perris
Rookie pick
Rookie pick
Rookie pick
Rookie pick

Jimitron5000
17th October 2014, 02:12 PM
No injuries please! Outside the 22 we have eight players with senior experience including Alex Johnson. Four of the eight have under 10 games between them.

Conor_Dillon
17th October 2014, 02:49 PM
Not much experience in our depth but plenty of exciting talent! The future is bright

ernie koala
17th October 2014, 03:10 PM
Yep pretty good team, just a few notes....IMO..

Jetta needs to win his spot back with a big pre season and some good early form.

Goodes should be used as a sub every 2nd or 3rd week. That's assuming, unlike this year, he works hard when we don't have the ball.

I agree that McGlynn should be moved back to the forward pocket. With occasional forays into the midfield when needed.

Zak Jones, if he has a good preseason, should be given as much game time as possible in the early rounds, ahead of Shaw or Jetta, depending on their form.

Conor_Dillon
17th October 2014, 03:57 PM
Yeh wouldn't mind Jones in the team as much as possible...brings that real mongrel and toughness that we lack at times.

And think you're being a bit harsh on Jetta...horrible grand final but wasn't alone! He was in our top 2 or 3 players in the Prelim and I think his kicking is vital...particularly with Mal gone!

Bloodthirsty
17th October 2014, 04:19 PM
If you're putting McGlynn in the forward pocket, I just want to suggest something.....people can throw stuff at me all day, but I'm going to say this anyway despite the backlash...... Swan would be a better team with Derickx in place of Goodes. If McGlynn is the crumbing forward, it is better to have two ruckmen who can both play forward and leave Tippett at FF -no ruck work for him. Need two ruckmen, especially one bullocking crazy MF like Derickx.

In my opinion, the team would be stronger with this set up.

Mountain Man
17th October 2014, 04:27 PM
I would like to see Shaw out and Jetta and Rohan both playing on wings with the brief to drop back when the ball is in the opposition hands, and then run like they can when we win the ball back. Both can then run/deliver very quickly to the forward set up.

I agree with McVeigh back in a permanent role, and his distribution to those 2 'wingmen' is the replacement tactic for Malceski.

ernie koala
17th October 2014, 04:31 PM
If you're putting McGlynn in the forward pocket, I just want to suggest something.....people can throw stuff at me all day, but I'm going to say this anyway despite the backlash...... Swan would be a better team with Derickx in place of Goodes. If McGlynn is the crumbing forward, it is better to have two ruckmen who can both play forward and leave Tippett at FF -no ruck work for him. Need two ruckmen, especially one bullocking crazy MF like Derickx.

In my opinion, the team would be stronger with this set up.

Yep, when I think about it, I agree with you.

If Derrickx can get a bit more involved around the ground, it would make it a no brainer...IMO.

Flying South
17th October 2014, 05:25 PM
Never thought I would say this at start of season, but Derickx gets my vote for ruckman. And I can't find a spot for Shaw in my starting team. He is holding up development and is now a depth player IMO. Rampe and McVeigh are my rebounding midfielders (HB) and Jack & Jetta are my attacking midfielder's (HF). They provide defensive pressure and usually good kicks. Mitchell comes into to help Kennedy out in the trenches and allows Parker to play a more roaming midfield role. I would also like to see Jones get some more game time. Cunningham is my small forward and I would like to see Rohan play more in the forward half as well. He is a good mark, kick for goal and applies defensive pressure with his speed. I didn't like him in defence. It would be nice to see Hewett, Heeney, Nankervis and XR gets some senior game time through rotations. I am still hoping Naismith gets upgraded to get some experience into him as well.

FB. Smith Richards Reid
HB. Rampe Grundy McVeigh
CTR. Hannebery Parker McGlynn
FOL. Derickx Kennedy Mitchell
HF. Jack Franklin Jetta
FF. Goodes Tippett Cunningham
INT. Lloyd, Bird, Rohan, Jones
EMG. Pyke, Hewett, Heeney, XR, Nankervis

Cardinal
17th October 2014, 07:17 PM
If Derickx and McGlynn are both having a crack at a grand final next year it will be a great story. Now if we pick up someone who's been delisted as well....

troyjones2525
17th October 2014, 07:44 PM
Seriously, I don't understand all the love now for Derickx? Yes he tried hard and did a job for us when we were struggling for a ruckman through the early/middle part of the year but seriously! Many of his performances were not close to AFL standard! He mostly drops marks although he managed to hold onto one or two beauties! But dropped many sitters. His kicking is below average (yes Pyke isn't much better but still...) and rarely wins the ball around the ground and creates an option. He is just depth which is what he was recruited for and I'd be staggered and extremely disappointed if Nankervis or Naismith doesn't move past him for senior games this year!

Bloodthirsty
17th October 2014, 08:09 PM
Seriously, I don't understand all the love now for Derickx? Yes he tried hard and did a job for us when we were struggling for a ruckman through the early/middle part of the year but seriously! Many of his performances were not close to AFL standard! He mostly drops marks although he managed to hold onto one or two beauties! But dropped many sitters. His kicking is below average (yes Pyke isn't much better but still...) and rarely wins the ball around the ground and creates an option. He is just depth which is what he was recruited for and I'd be staggered and extremely disappointed if Nankervis or Naismith doesn't move past him for senior games this year!

What I am picking up on with many comments is that everyone seems to be talking about options that WILL NOT HELP THE SWANS WIN A FLAG NEXT YEAR. Yes, Naismith, yes Heeney, yes X Richards - but will 'game time' result in a premiership in 2015? No it won't. I don't understand the thinking when the premiership window is open now (and just barely). Everyone is talking about options that won't come to fruition until Buddy is into his 30s and Tippett has retired. Geez. That's why the VFL decision was @@@@@@ and it will probably have the effect they desired.

Heeney and Jones may help win a flag next year but as far as KPD we are @@@@@@.

mcs
17th October 2014, 08:27 PM
Never thought I would say this at start of season, but Derickx gets my vote for ruckman. And I can't find a spot for Shaw in my starting team. He is holding up development and is now a depth player IMO. Rampe and McVeigh are my rebounding midfielders (HB) and Jack & Jetta are my attacking midfielder's (HF). They provide defensive pressure and usually good kicks. Mitchell comes into to help Kennedy out in the trenches and allows Parker to play a more roaming midfield role. I would also like to see Jones get some more game time. Cunningham is my small forward and I would like to see Rohan play more in the forward half as well. He is a good mark, kick for goal and applies defensive pressure with his speed. I didn't like him in defence. It would be nice to see Hewett, Heeney, Nankervis and XR gets some senior game time through rotations. I am still hoping Naismith gets upgraded to get some experience into him as well.

FB. Smith Richards Reid
HB. Rampe Grundy McVeigh
CTR. Hannebery Parker McGlynn
FOL. Derickx Kennedy Mitchell
HF. Jack Franklin Jetta
FF. Goodes Tippett Cunningham
INT. Lloyd, Bird, Rohan, Jones
EMG. Pyke, Hewett, Heeney, XR, Nankervis

Derickx in front of Pyke - you've got to be kidding me. Derickx with Pyke could work I think, but there is no way in hell that Derickx should be seen in front of Pyke (unless he really goes downhill next year). He was one of the very few to get close to breaking even on Grand Final day, and I'd argue he was probably in the top 3 or 4 in the Finals voting this year, he really did have a very good finals series.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 to this. If he can improve his marking and disposal over the summer he might be a shot at pushing Pyke, but he really is a back up option. If we get to a point where he is the 1st choice ruckman for the team on merit, I think we will be in trouble to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

What I am picking up on with many comments is that everyone seems to be talking about options that WILL NOT HELP THE SWANS WIN A FLAG NEXT YEAR. Yes, Naismith, yes Heeney, yes X Richards - but will 'game time' result in a premiership in 2015? No it won't. I don't understand the thinking when the premiership window is open now (and just barely). Everyone is talking about options that won't come to fruition until Buddy is into his 30s and Tippett has retired. Geez. That's why the VFL decision was @@@@@@ and it will probably have the effect they desired.

I think Jones does have all the ingredients to slot in and improve the team. As for Heeney- its tough to predict whether he will push for senior footy next year. I'd argue he probably might get a game or two, but is unlikely to burst onto the scene. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Our KPD is terrible - any injuries in there and we are stuffed good and proper.

ernie koala
17th October 2014, 08:34 PM
My team...

FB : Rampe ; Richards ; Smith
HB : Reid ; Grundy ; McVeigh
C : Hannebery ; Kennedy ; Cunningham
HF : Rohan ; Franklin ; Jack
FF : McGlynn ; Tippett ; Mitchell
FOL : Pyke ; Parker ; Bird
INTER : Derrickx ; Jetta ; Jones
SUB : Goodes
EMG : Laidler, Lloyd, Heeney

liz
17th October 2014, 08:48 PM
While I understand that we can't necessarily rely on any of the younger players to come in and significantly improve the team, there is every likelihood that one or two will. Many premiership sides (and those who challenge fiercely) have at a couple of previously fringe players who have a break out season and make a real difference. Brad Hill last year for the Hawks (as a second year player, I think) and Langford this year (as a third year player) were significant reasons for their premiership. In 2012 we saw Jetta produce a year far beyond what his previous games had indicated he might be capable of, and Alex Johnson was good all year and got better as the year went on. And even this year, Cunningham and Lloyd were two who delivered more than we had a right to expect. Remember that, despite the end result, we did reach the Grand Final!

Sure, if we are forced to rely on a lot of younger players at the same time, we may struggle. But I see no reason why one or two of Jones, Heeney, Mitchell, Towers, Jack or Hewitt mightn't become valuable contributors for us in 2015. The current NEAFL set-up looks to be very positive for enabling the club to develop players to play senior football. The higher quality of the top-ups must be a factor, as it means the listed players can play disciplined team footy, rather than getting into bad habits trying to do things outside team structures to cover for sub-standard top-ups. And the fact we now play around half the games against other AFL reserves sides, rather than multiple games against Tuggeranong and the like, is also a huge plus. Add in a very capable development coach in Crouch and the development set up looks rather good.

Stay positive people!!!!

Melbournehammer
17th October 2014, 08:57 PM

But what is the point of your post ? We can't trade in someone and we can't draft an hitherto undiscovered kpd unless they come from Ireland or rugby.

The reality is - does our list have the capacity to finish top four. That is the only aim - top four and you're in with being the best team in September. Not the team with the best list best forward best midfield etc.

Our best 25 can match it with pretty much everyone except the Hawks. Provided we win 16 games out of 22 we are quite capable of beating most anyone on our day, and with tweaks to coaching, players and game plan we might actually be capable of beating hawthorn

jono2707
17th October 2014, 09:19 PM
Regardless of the existence of the trading ban or not, the fact that we got Buddy last year (and to a lesser extent Tippett the year before) was always going to mean that our list would tail off into inexperienced, but talented, youngsters. It was inevitable that we had to trade away some depth players like Everitt, Armstrong, Biggs and others as well as let Mal go to a better offer. It's been a calculated risk that almost paid off this year. I'm confident that the absolute quality at the top of our list will pull up some of the youngsters that we have developing at the other end of the list.

Yes the trade ban is ridiculous, but I don't think it will necessitate much of a change to our direction for 2015. Come back to me in a year for an assessment of the impact on 2016 (if the ban is still in place)...

Bloodthirsty
17th October 2014, 09:44 PM
But what is the point of your post ? We can't trade in someone and we can't draft an hitherto undiscovered kpd unless they come from Ireland or rugby.

The reality is - does our list have the capacity to finish top four. That is the only aim - top four and you're in with being the best team in September. Not the team with the best list best forward best midfield etc.

Our best 25 can match it with pretty much everyone except the Hawks. Provided we win 16 games out of 22 we are quite capable of beating most anyone on our day, and with tweaks to coaching, players and game plan we might actually be capable of beating hawthorn

I agree with what you are saying. And the point of my post is that the Swans need to do things like play Derickx for most games instead of the very young rucks (except for a few easy games). With the exception of Ryder, ruckmen are pretty limited skill-wise anyway, so if Derickx comes on with arms and legs flailing and kocks out McEvoy and Hale, then that is what we need. Sometimes Pyke approaches like he is about the enquire about the Dow Jones or something.

Matt80
17th October 2014, 10:13 PM
My senior team:

B Reid Richards Smith
H.B Rohan Grundy Rampe
C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
H.F McVeigh Franklin Cunning
F Mglynn Tippett Goodes
Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy
Inter Mitchell Lloyd Heeney
Sub Jones

troyjones2525
17th October 2014, 10:14 PM
I agree with what you are saying. And the point of my post is that the Swans need to do things like play Derickx for most games instead of the very young rucks (except for a few easy games). With the exception of Ryder, ruckmen are pretty limited skill-wise anyway, so if Derickx comes on with arms and legs flailing and kocks out McEvoy and Hale, then that is what we need. Sometimes Pyke approaches like he is about the enquire about the Dow Jones or something.

Having watched a couple of NEAFL games on YouTube this year including the grand final I still believe that hoping that Nankervis moves ahead of Derickx is the way to go! If you want to see Derickx play solely to add some grunt to our side then I still think that Nankervis showed he has that side to his game also this year, with the added bonus that he can take a mark and kick a goal or two! As an earlier post said, if we are in the situation that we are relying on Tom D as our number 1 ruck option then we are totally stuffed!

Auntie.Gerald
17th October 2014, 10:18 PM
My senior team:

B Reid Richards Smith
H.B Rohan Grundy Rampe
C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
F Mglynn Tippett Goodes
Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy
Sub Jones

That is an exciting team but could that mixture of youth mix it with the HAWKS fully fit in a GF ?

Maybe ?

Matt80
17th October 2014, 10:47 PM
That is an exciting team but could that mixture of youth mix it with the HAWKS fully fit in a GF ?

Maybe ?

You would hope that everyone plays better than the GF, but the following guys would need to improve their seasons in 2015:

Rohan
Reid
Jetta
Tippett
Goodes
Mitchell

We would also need the younger brigade of Cunningham and Lloyd to continue their forward momentum.

An immediate impact from Heeney and Jones would also be desired.

Flying South
18th October 2014, 12:51 AM
I was reading the Michael Gleeson piece in The Age about ruckman and the following stood out to me
"One club's ruck coach said it was difficult to assess the value of ruckmen because people tried to distil their game to statistics that were inadequate and misleading, because the intangibles of a good ruck were unquantifiable.

"What value do you put on a big bloke having presence? What value do you put on a bloke who knocks midfielders over, blocks and puts the wind up them? None of those are stats."

Yes Mike held his own against Hawthorn stats wise. But they are just stats. Could the intangibles that I think Tom brings be more important to team success. Especially against Hawthorn. Tom was our ruckman in rnd9 when we beat them. Mike was our ruckman in the other two games and we lost both. Just saying.

mcs
18th October 2014, 07:47 AM
I was reading the Michael Gleeson piece in The Age about ruckman and the following stood out to me
"One club's ruck coach said it was difficult to assess the value of ruckmen because people tried to distil their game to statistics that were inadequate and misleading, because the intangibles of a good ruck were unquantifiable.

"What value do you put on a big bloke having presence? What value do you put on a bloke who knocks midfielders over, blocks and puts the wind up them? None of those are stats."

Yes Mike held his own against Hawthorn stats wise. But they are just stats. Could the intangibles that I think Tom brings be more important to team success. Especially against Hawthorn. Tom was our ruckman in rnd9 when we beat them. Mike was our ruckman in the other two games and we lost both. Just saying.

Your arguing in one part of it that post that ruckman are relatively unimportant in their main role but then suggesting derricx is the reason we beat the dawks in rd 9.

I agree that the role of the ruckman is often over rated and physical presence is important- but I cant agree that derricx should be no 1 in front of pyke at all...... but that isnt too say derricx couldnt end up finding a spot in the 22 - but he has to improve a lot around the ground too. A ruckman can have all the presence in the world, but its not much use if he can't give his team some first use of the ball. Go through the stats of Dericx games from this year and youll see that he is an ok ruckman at best.

I hope Naismith continues to progress, as I think we undervalue the potential for two rucks to work well, especially when you throw in tippett to ruck a bit in the forward line.

S.S. Bleeder
18th October 2014, 08:29 AM
My senior team:

B Reid Richards Smith
H.B Rohan Grundy Rampe
C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
F Mglynn Tippett Goodes
Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy
Sub Jones

The best team I've seen so far. McGlynn needs to be our small fwd. Rohan needs to play at half back as we need the run from there, esp now that Malcho has gone. Reid to go to the 2nd/3rd tall.

I have a feeling that Heeney won't play too many games this year. We usually hold our players back in the Magoos longer than other teams. Maybe Hewitt might come in? I haven't seen him play but the vibe is that he's capable.

Dosser
18th October 2014, 09:07 AM
The best team I've seen so far. McGlynn needs to be our small fwd. Rohan needs to play at half back as we need the run from there, esp now that Malcho has gone. Reid to go to the 2nd/3rd tall.

I have a feeling that Heeney won't play too many games this year. We usually hold our players back in the Magoos longer than other teams. Maybe Hewitt might come in? I haven't seen him play but the vibe is that he's capable.

Don't forget of course, that Heeney has been playing in the magoos already. Unlike a normal first round pick who comes to the club 'cold', Heeney already knows our training, culture, positional play, teammates, and most important of all, what is required to play. All that remains for him is to show that he deserves a place and he will be in (Mitchell's 2014 scenario notwithstanding). I actually think that Heeney may just hit the ground running as most of the other draft picks will have to get used to the above before they can get a game.

Flying South
18th October 2014, 10:01 AM
Your arguing in one part of it that post that ruckman are relatively unimportant in their main role but then suggesting derricx is the reason we beat the dawks in rd 9.

I agree that the role of the ruckman is often over rated and physical presence is important- but I cant agree that derricx should be no 1 in front of pyke at all...... but that isnt too say derricx couldnt end up finding a spot in the 22 - but he has to improve a lot around the ground too. A ruckman can have all the presence in the world, but its not much use if he can't give his team some first use of the ball. Go through the stats of Dericx games from this year and youll see that he is an ok ruckman at best.

I hope Naismith continues to progress, as I think we undervalue the potential for two rucks to work well, especially when you throw in tippett to ruck a bit in the forward line.
I guess it points out that we have two ruckman that bring two different parts of the role to the table. Two different players that have their pro's and con's. In my view, I prefer the Derickx part. But I don't feel passionately about it either way. If they picked either, I acknowledge it is a weakness. If only we could combine them. Ironically we would end up with some one like Mumford. I don't believe we can play both as some have suggested. I don't see what we gain there.

I too hope Naismith can continue to develop as I think he could be a similar player to Mumford. That is why I am disappointed Naismith has not been upgraded yet. I would like to see him get some handpicked senior games into him. It is hard to do this as a rookie.

Another important player is Nankervis. If he can develop as I think he can as forward/ruck, it will give us options when Tippett's contract is up at the end of 2016. If Naismith hasn't developed as hoped, we could chop a 30 year old Tippett's and use the coin to chase a star ruckman.

"Just my opinion".

mcs
18th October 2014, 12:46 PM
I guess it points out that we have two ruckman that bring two different parts of the role to the table. Two different players that have their pro's and con's. In my view, I prefer the Derickx part. But I don't feel passionately about it either way. If they picked either, I acknowledge it is a weakness. If only we could combine them. Ironically we would end up with some one like Mumford. I don't believe we can play both as some have suggested. I don't see what we gain there.

I too hope Naismith can continue to develop as I think he could be a similar player to Mumford. That is why I am disappointed Naismith has not been upgraded yet. I would like to see him get some handpicked senior games into him. It is hard to do this as a rookie.

Another important player is Nankervis. If he can develop as I think he can as forward/ruck, it will give us options when Tippett's contract is up at the end of 2016. If Naismith hasn't developed as hoped, we could chop a 30 year old Tippett's and use the coin to chase a star ruckman.

"Just my opinion".

I'm guessing that AJ will stay on the main list but go on the long term injury list - thus potentially allowing Naismith to be upgraded.

barry
18th October 2014, 03:52 PM
I think shaw will struggle to be in the yeam by the later half of next year. Rohan can do his run, and laidler adds a true defenders hard nut

Scottee
18th October 2014, 06:00 PM
Considering their youth and/or build I'm expecting Nanka, Naismith, Hewett, Jones and Aliir to come back with significant extra kilos next year. Xav might even put on a bit even though he well be nearly 22 at the start of next season. Robo is also a chance to put on a bit.

Hewett (not 19 until December) must be an option as an HBF especially if he also puts on a couple of cms as well (currently listed as 185cm/77kg, expect him to be listed at about 187/85kg next year, he really stacked on the muscle during the year, also a perfect size for a HBF or ruck rover).

Aliir listed as 91 KG as a 19yo.You would expect that he would put on at least another 5 or so KG. Big enough to take on the big guys.

Naismith, given that he only stopped growing this year can be expected to pile on a few Kgs this year too. Expect about 108Kgs.

Nanka - 101 KG as a 19yo. If he puts on a few kilos he will be an absolute brute.

Jones listed as 181/75Kg. His brother at Melbourne is listed as 87Kg. Expect over 80Kg from Zac if his bro is anything to go by, should be ready for the seniors by then.

The character and physical presence of the list should be quite different next year simply because of the growth of the youth.

wolftone57
20th October 2014, 05:42 PM
i don't believe we can have a best 22. I think we need to look at games individually and play players who are more likely to beat the opponent. Too many times we have played a player and realised he was wrong for that day against that side. Ok we won most games but we should still look at that style. I saw what Clarkson & his coaching staff did during the season with his players. There were many times when an experienced player could have come in and played but Hawks rested them because the match ups were better with the younger players. He even used this ploy on us & Port in the finals by dropping Sewell & playing Langford & Simpkin. Brave move. We need to be as brave an blood new players according to match ups.

Auntie.Gerald
20th October 2014, 05:49 PM
langford was more then ready come the final series and then he went up a notch again

i hope the same for Rohan, Harry, Jake, Zac, Mitchell and Reid in 2015

Flying South
20th October 2014, 09:12 PM
i don't believe we can have a best 22.......... We need to be as brave an blood new players according to match ups.
I called for this many times last year but was told by many, many people that you don't rest players, always play your best 22, we have to worry about finishing top 2, players don't want to stand down, etc. The only time we should be worried about best 22 is during the finals series. And that will be determined by who is available. But during the season, IMO, we should have a rotating squad of players. Where players like X, Jones, Hewett, Robinson, Heeney, Naismith, Nankervis and Towers can get around 3-6 games each based on matchups. If we cant beat the likes of Saints, Melbourne, Bulldogs, etc with 2 or 3 of these players in our team then our future is not looking too bright. Everyone boasts about our depth. We need to get games into these players soon, as they are the future of our club. The trade ban that has been imposed on us has only reinforced this. I know a lot of people don't agree with this, but just my opinion.

Nico
20th October 2014, 09:57 PM
I think Rohan should play as a defensive wingman. Unless he tightens up dramatically his occasional solo run will be a waste of time. Leave him on the wing to make space as a running target.

Cunningham to me is still very outside. He was ok as a run with player but caught out big time in the GF. As a half forward he bobs with the odd goals but is not hard enough going the other way. I think both he and Rohan will be the blokes who might find it hard to hold their places.

If these young blokes like Heeney and Hewitt are as good as what people say they are, then they will force their way in. Mitchell might lack a bit of pace but he wins a lot more footy than Rohan and Cunningham put together.

Ampersand
21st October 2014, 07:18 AM
It's a bit silly to compare the amount of footy players like Cunningham or Rohan get with an inside mid like Mitchell. Of course he's going to get more of the ball. Buddy rarely cracks 20 possessions a game but you'd hardly say his impact is negligible.

Flying South
21st October 2014, 12:02 PM
I think Rohan should play as a defensive wingman. Unless he tightens up dramatically his occasional solo run will be a waste of time. Leave him on the wing to make space as a running target.

Cunningham to me is still very outside. He was ok as a run with player but caught out big time in the GF. As a half forward he bobs with the odd goals but is not hard enough going the other way. I think both he and Rohan will be the blokes who might find it hard to hold their places.

If these young blokes like Heeney and Hewitt are as good as what people say they are, then they will force their way in. Mitchell might lack a bit of pace but he wins a lot more footy than Rohan and Cunningham put together.
For me, Rohan could be a huge factor in our improvement next year. We all know he had a shocker in the GF, but he wasn't the only one. I'm not entirely convinced that he could be the player we all want him to be. But I haven't given up on him yet. One of my criticisms has been that he just doesn't get enough of the ball. So I started thinking, why don't we send him to the ball and play him as an inside midfielder. I think he has enough hardness in him and he certainly has the size. I can see him applying some punishing tackles in and around the contests. In fact if you compare to Nat Fyfe, he is a almost exactly same size. Rohan - age 23, 189cm and 89 kg. Fyfe is 23, 190cm and 88kg. Obviously he would have to seriously improve on his stamina and gut running over the pre season. But maybe he could be our very own Fyfe and bring in some much needed size into the midfield. What are peoples thoughts?

Melbourne_Blood
21st October 2014, 12:17 PM
Rohan was starting to show some form as a half back, I wouldn't confuse him by trying him in another position. Despite two shockers he produced the best footy of his career in that position , prelim final anyone ?

Scottee
21st October 2014, 04:28 PM
Whatever happens I think Jetta should start in the Ressies and fight his way back into the side.

Ampersand
21st October 2014, 06:37 PM
Whatever happens I think Jetta should start in the Ressies and fight his way back into the side.

That is just so ridiculous. Jetta was much improved from 2013 and is shaping up to be a well rounded footballer, rather than just a speed machine.

Ampersand
21st October 2014, 06:41 PM
I really sometimes wonder whether people calling for Jetta's scalp watched any of the home and away season.

mcs
21st October 2014, 06:54 PM
As long as Jetta gets a right royal kick up the bottom (along with about 18 others) for the dross performance on grand final day, I'm happy for him to continue in the top team. Would love a few of the younger midfielders in the ressies to have strong starts to the season, in order to put proper pressure on some of those in the top 22 however.

RogueSwan
22nd October 2014, 10:14 AM
That is just so ridiculous. Jetta was much improved from 2013 and is shaping up to be a well rounded footballer, rather than just a speed machine.I really sometimes wonder whether people calling for Jetta's scalp watched any of the home and away season.

I thought he had a great season. As you said he is now so much more than just someone who runs onto kicks into open space.

ScottH
22nd October 2014, 12:12 PM
Even though Jetta had a good year, the thing that was missing was his running game.
He didn't have the explosive runs as in the previous seasons. I guess this is why people are not rating his season.

penga
22nd October 2014, 12:40 PM
As for Rohan, he was the highest rated player, according to Champion Data, for the Prelim out of any player in the both games that weekend. His spoiling is underrated. If he is playing off half back, I would expect him to poll pretty highly in the Golden Fist next year.

How about this:

FB: Smith Reg Rampe
HB: McVeigh Richards Rohan
C: Jetta Kennedy Hannebery
HF: Jack Franklin Bird
FF: McGlynn Reid Goodes
R: Tippett Mitchell Parker
Int: Pyke Lloyd Cunningham S: Jones

RogueSwan
22nd October 2014, 12:56 PM
How about this:

FB: Smith Reg Rampe
HB: McVeigh Richards Rohan
C: Jetta Kennedy Hannebery
HF: Jack Franklin Bird
FF: McGlynn Reid Goodes
R: Tippett Mitchell Parker
Int: Pyke Lloyd Cunningham S: Jones

Pretty much what I would like to see. I would just like to some how squeeze TomD in there.

wolftone57
22nd October 2014, 08:25 PM
I called for this many times last year but was told by many, many people that you don't rest players, always play your best 22, we have to worry about finishing top 2, players don't want to stand down, etc. The only time we should be worried about best 22 is during the finals series. And that will be determined by who is available. But during the season, IMO, we should have a rotating squad of players. Where players like X, Jones, Hewett, Robinson, Heeney, Naismith, Nankervis and Towers can get around 3-6 games each based on matchups. If we cant beat the likes of Saints, Melbourne, Bulldogs, etc with 2 or 3 of these players in our team then our future is not looking too bright. Everyone boasts about our depth. We need to get games into these players soon, as they are the future of our club. The trade ban that has been imposed on us has only reinforced this. I know a lot of people don't agree with this, but just my opinion.

I totally agree with you but with me it has never been about resting players it is about who have we got that matches or has a special ability to beat his opponent. Tailor your squad for match ups and a best mix against different sides. This is what Hawks did last year and by the finals the younger players like Langford were cherry ripe to go if they had to.

Scottee
23rd October 2014, 03:05 PM
I really sometimes wonder whether people calling for Jetta's scalp watched any of the home and away season.

Not after his scalp, just think he has something to prove after the GF with so many other deserving players knocking on the door. Good players respond to a challenge, let him respond.

Ampersand
23rd October 2014, 04:43 PM
Not after his scalp, just think he has something to prove after the GF with so many other deserving players knocking on the door. Good players respond to a challenge, let him respond.

Everyone has something to prove after the GF. Don't know why you're singling out Jetta. Reid and Shaw had much worse seasons overall.

Dan
23rd October 2014, 11:36 PM
My team for round 1 next year (barring any preseason injuries)

FB: Smith - Grundy - Shaw
HB: Rampe - Richards - McVeigh
C: Jetta - Hannebery - Cunningham
HF: Bird - Franklin - K.Jack
FF: McGlynn - Tippett - Goodes
R: Pyke - Kennedy - Parker
INT: Reid - Lloyd - Mitchell - Rohan (SUB)
EMG: Laidler - Derrickx - Jones

Basically our GF team with Mitchell coming in for Malceski and McVeigh slotting into the halfback line.
The people leaving Bird out of the team are crazy, he is a much better player than most here give him credit for.

penga
24th October 2014, 02:07 PM
INT: Reid - Lloyd - Mitchell - Rohan (SUB)

The people leaving Bird out of the team are crazy, he is a much better player than most here give him credit for.

And Rohan is better than you give him credit.

Dan
24th October 2014, 03:11 PM
And Rohan is better than you give him credit.

My team is for round 1, I wouldn't play him as the sub every game. Probably rotate the sub between Rohan, Lloyd and Cunningham. Obviously injuries and form will change this throughout the season.

S.S. Bleeder
24th October 2014, 06:41 PM

I agree. All you have to do is look at the B&F results for the last few + years. He's always up there. Some players just don't seem to get the attention of fans or the media; ie. Ben Matthews, Jared Crouch, LRT, Nick Smith, etc.

Auntie.Gerald
25th October 2014, 12:52 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are re Mitchell and Heeney for 2015 ?

In 2014 we went with Lloyd and Harry to matchup on the outside players as we saw that to beat Port, Cats, Hawks, Freeo we needed to be able to matchup and be versatile with our un with players etc

My argument is can your midfield rotation be so good by stacking top class "inside mids"...... that in fact you win more clearances and then the opposition need to stack more inside players in their 22 to match u ?

Brisbane come to mind and Geelong at their best went with more brutal classy inside mids

I am going to make a big call and barring injuries i think that Mitchell and Heeney will play so well a dominate so much in ressies that you wont be able to stop them making the 22

Heeney is so bloody good both sides on the kick and handpass it is crazy and this from an inside mid..........his overhead mark rivals Parker at the same age if not better !

:hmmm

dimelb
25th October 2014, 03:15 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are re Mitchell and Heeney for 2015 ?

Brisbane come to mind and Geelong at their best went with more brutal classy inside mids ...

Not to mention Hawthorn's mids, who are now the best in the game, especially with the addition of Langford.

wolftone57
28th October 2014, 01:09 PM
I am a bit peeved that we have tried to turn so many outside mids into inside mids. either they are inside mids or they are not. We are playing too many outside mids in the centre square. Hannas, Macca & Kizza are outside mids and would be better playing off the back of the square. Use Mitchell, Heaney, Joey, Benny (natural inside/outside), Parks & Hewett (natural inside/outside) in the centre square at different times during the year.

AG I think one player who will be a Smokie is Hiscox. He is super fast and knows where the goals are. He is a super crumber too. Davo could well do some work with him this year, not that he isn't already. He is also a pretty good kick. Heeney in my opinion will start the year in the team. I also think that if you have a bad game as a senior player you should be dropped. Look what happened at Hawks when that policy came in, two premierships. Everybody knows, one bad game, you're out and they all want to play.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd November 2014, 09:05 AM
Shaw, malceski, Goodes? Bird? They would be my first 4, From "Meet Isaac Heeney" thread.
Jones - Malceski/Shaw (past his best, terrible disposal and poor under pressure).
Mitchell - Shaw (McVeigh to play at HB. Possibly Bird. People underestimate his results. He has been in the top half of the B&F for the last several years from memory. The trouble is, who else would you take out?
Heeney - I suspect that he will start playing in the Magoo's. By the time he comes in 1/3 of the way into the season we will know who is in form. I have some doubts about Lloyd so he could be a possibility.
Sadly I think that we will need to do some culling of people (possibly before their time is due) at the end of the 2015. I would suggest possibles as being; Shaw, McVeigh, Bird Richards, Pike, Goodes and Grundy. This will depend on the development of the younger players in like positions.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd November 2014, 09:55 AM
You could probably add Jetta to the endangered list too. Like many Aboriginal players can be brilliant when on song but just too inconsistant.
Found this article on the Herald Sun website which discusses our list;
No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/buddy-franklin-and-kurt-tippett-could-soon-be-overshadowed-by-isaac-heeney-and-callum-mills/story-fnp04d70-1227129996858)

Melbourne_Blood
22nd November 2014, 11:51 AM
Jetta had a great year, and was super consistent. Much of Buddy's magic was due in part to Jettas beautiful delivery into him. No 1 at swans for inside 50's in 2014, thats consistent, and it's an important stat.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 12:34 PM
I would like to see Shaw out and Jetta and Rohan both playing on wings with the brief to drop back when the ball is in the opposition hands, and then run like they can when we win the ball back. Both can then run/deliver very quickly to the forward set up.

I agree with McVeigh back in a permanent role, and his distribution to those 2 'wingmen' is the replacement tactic for Malceski.

I prefer Rohan on the HBF. He gave us real drive from there and his cut out work was very Mattneresque. Prefer Jones to Shaw, they are similar backmen but Jones has real mongrel, Shaw doesn't, what's more Shaw is slowing down.

I like the idea of two ruckmen. Tippett's form dived when he had to go into the ruck. I was a bit disappointed that Shaw & Goodes decided to continue playing as I think their time is up. Retire while still playing good footy.

I think the mids will be rotated a lot more this coming season to ensure they don't burn out. We have plenty of talent to run through the mids Joey, Parks, Kizza, Benny, Hewett, Heaney are all naturals. Hannas is more a winger who the coaches have tried to turn into an In/Out mid. I think his role was better when he was an outside player.

Players like BJ, Towers & Hiscox will all vie for forward spots too.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 12:44 PM

I have watched all the games back Troy and Derrickx was actually very good. You obviously don't observe very well as his kicking is pretty good. It is his HB that lets him down not kicking. He did drop several marks but then again so did Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett, Buddy, Reg (a couple of howlers), Teddy (a couple of howlers), you could probably name the team, except Lukie. His second efforts are really good, unlike Pykie who is generally too awkward down low. He is a very good kick for goal and if he could develop his rucking a little more he will be a very good player. There is good potential. Pykie has achieved his potential I believe and while a good solid ruckman his value was more as a forward/ruck. When we took that away we suffered. We need to play two rucks and neither Nanka or Big Sammy are ready yet. Nanka is more the Pykie type anyway F/R.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 12:58 PM

I don't agree with you. The options for the backline are already unfolding and I think playing them next year may indeed get us a premiership in 2016. This doesn't mean we can't win the premiership in 2015 while still blooding players. Blooding players is what ensures continuing success. If you don't you end up out of the eight because the players are not ready or they have moved on due to lack of games. We end up having to recruit players we wouldn't even sneeze at to fill gaps. The more players you have on your list that you have given Senior experience the more likely a premiership. Take Hawks they blooded lots of players in the last two years and look what happened there. So I believe your premise is flawed.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 01:12 PM
Having watched a couple of NEAFL games on YouTube this year including the grand final I still believe that hoping that Nankervis moves ahead of Derickx is the way to go! If you want to see Derickx play solely to add some grunt to our side then I still think that Nankervis showed he has that side to his game also this year, with the added bonus that he can take a mark and kick a goal or two! As an earlier post said, if we are in the situation that we are relying on Tom D as our number 1 ruck option then we are totally stuffed!

Troy that would mean we would play two ruck of the same type as Pykie & Nanka are both Forward/Ruck not specialist rucks. I don't think Pykie is a great 1st ruck. I watched all those games people on here are praising him for and his taps are mostly ineffective. He taps down to the feet of our mids too often, soft taps that result in packs developing. The Hawks roved to this and set up a wall with Mitchell, Burgoyne Langford at different times on the outside to clear the ball. While Nanka is a better tap than Pykie his huge value is resting in the forward line. He takes a great mark & his rucking in the pockets is very good. Naismith and Derrickx are the specialist rucks. Both can punch the living hell out of the ball. Both can direct the ball in a very tight spot to a running mid. Pykie was always value because of his forward work. As a second ruck he is still highly valuable as it makes the opposition set up differently and he is the best contested mark in the game.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 01:38 PM
You would hope that everyone plays better than the GF, but the following guys would need to improve their seasons in 2015:

Rohan
Reid
Jetta
Tippett
Goodes
Mitchell

We would also need the younger brigade of Cunningham and Lloyd to continue their forward momentum.

An immediate impact from Heeney and Jones would also be desired.

I think you are a little hard on Mitchell. When he played he was good. He got injured and had trouble getting back into a very strong side.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 01:49 PM

Don't agree about Heeney. I think he will play plenty. He's a good build and they will already be putting more on him. He is tough, quick and damaging. He needs to play.

Dosser
22nd November 2014, 02:05 PM
Don't agree about Heeney. I think he will play plenty. He's a good build and they will already be putting more on him. He is tough, quick and damaging. He needs to play.

That is right. We generally keep new players in the magoos so they can get conditioning and learn our style of play. By virtue of playing in the academy, Heeney has already done this, so should be about ready.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 02:34 PM

Firstly, Nico we have to stop trying to turn very good outside mids into inside mids. Harry will be fine when he plays on opponents that suit him but on opponents that suit say a Bird or Mitchell he won't be much good. Harry has played mainly as a negating HF but still managed to hurt them on the scoreboard. But in the run with roles he did he was very good. His opponents got very little of the ball.

Secondly, Rohan is in whether you like it or not. His closing speed and cut outs were very good down back. So he made a few mistakes he will improve as soon as his brain catches up.

As to heeney & Hewett they are as good as we have said. both are two sided. both win plenty of ball.

To Mitchell. He is very much like his Hawks namesake. Too slow they said but he keeps winning the ball and winning matches for them. I think Tommy will be a bit the same.

Matt80
22nd November 2014, 02:36 PM
I think you are a little hard on Mitchell. When he played he was good. He got injured and had trouble getting back into a very strong side.

I'm fully behind Mitchell now that he has committed to the Swans. The Swans gave up the option of pick 6 from Carlton for him to stay. Although Mitchell had the option to see out his contract at the Swans, the Swans could have encouraged Mitchell to go if it really wanted the pick 6.

That pick 6 is now at GWS. There will be hell to pay if that pick 6 has a better season than Tom Mitchell in 2015.

Tom has to step up. No more father / son romanticism, no more GWS thought he was a pick one. Tom needs to deliver with Heeney on his tale.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 02:47 PM
For me, Rohan could be a huge factor in our improvement next year. We all know he had a shocker in the GF, but he wasn't the only one. I'm not entirely convinced that he could be the player we all want him to be. But I haven't given up on him yet. One of my criticisms has been that he just doesn't get enough of the ball. So I started thinking, why don't we send him to the ball and play him as an inside midfielder. I think he has enough hardness in him and he certainly has the size. I can see him applying some punishing tackles in and around the contests. In fact if you compare to Nat Fyfe, he is a almost exactly same size. Rohan - age 23, 189cm and 89 kg. Fyfe is 23, 190cm and 88kg. Obviously he would have to seriously improve on his stamina and gut running over the pre season. But maybe he could be our very own Fyfe and bring in some much needed size into the midfield. What are peoples thoughts?

I'm sorry Flying South but I'm sick of people talking about changing outside running players to inside mids. If they aren't suited they aren't suited. The reason we got slaughtered in the GF was we had too many players playing inside that started as outside mids. Kizza, Macca, Hannas are all outside players who have converted their game to Horse's style to play in the mids. That is three too many in the centre square together at some times during the year. Bloody stupid. Inside mids like Parker, Mitchell, Joey, Heeney & Hewett are far better than those as inside mids. Rohan would just be another outside mid that can't win the ball against real insiders. Robby Grey, Boak, hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Fyfe, Crowley, Barlow, Mundy, Murphy, Gibbs & the list goes on all took us to the cleaners because they are natural inside players or go both out & in.

mcs
22nd November 2014, 03:09 PM
I'm fully behind Mitchell now that he has committed to the Swans. The Swans gave up the option of pick 6 from Carlton for him to stay. Although Mitchell had the option to see out his contract at the Swans, the Swans could have encouraged Mitchell to go if it really wanted the pick 6.

That pick 6 is now at GWS. There will be hell to pay if that pick 6 has a better season than Tom Mitchell in 2015.

Tom has to step up. No more father / son romanticism, no more GWS thought he was a pick one. Tom needs to deliver with Heeney on his tale.

Football is not based on 1 season Matt80...... 'hell to pay' is going a bit over the top.

wolftone57
22nd November 2014, 03:18 PM

Tommy Mitchell has had injury worries since he has been here. The truth is the club knew he had some problems before he came. He is such a good prospect the club just wanted him to get over the injuries and nursed him along. He is now fit and hopefully will do his first full preseason. This year he will hopefully put his injuries behind him.

22nd November 2014, 04:24 PM

Easier for Mitchell to keep Heeney off his tail without Matt80 on his back.

Ludwig
22nd November 2014, 04:47 PM
If we had to pick the 22 now, it would most likely be the finals side with Mitchell coming in for Mal. Macca will probably slot into Mal's role as the defensive general.

Shaw looks the most vulnerable to lose his spot, especially if Reid goes back into defence. Personally, I like this move and would try Towers in the forward line in Reid's place. With Adam's stem cell treatment, I am thinking that we may see the champ play even beyond next season. We've got to get Reid beyond a 4th option in the forward line.

There will be plenty of competition for midfield spots and it's hard to say right now what the pecking order is likely to be. There are always a few surprises, both good and bad, as we progress through the preseason.

I am over my usual vitriolic attacks on Tom Derickx and am happy enough with him as a last resort ruck option. If he can improve a few areas of his game, actually most areas of his game, he can become a handy depth player, which I define as the kind of player who can fill in and do a job, but is unlikely to get a starting gig at another club. Tom is a decent kick, especially for goal, and he will give a good physical effort, but his ruck work and general awareness need a lot of help. He is also quite injury prone. I don't think he's gone through many seasons without a some long term injury. I am quite hopeful on the Ns making it at AFL level, especially Nanka, and would like to see both given a couple of shots next season to give them a taste of AFL level footy. As for now, our best combo remains Pyke and Tippett. We really can't afford to play another ruckman in the side as it will have to be at the expense of a midfielder; we are not going to be dropping either Goodes or Reid from the side, so I just can't see this happening.

Jones, Towers, BJ, Hewett and Heeney should all be pushing for opportunities in the senior side. Dan Robinson has had 2 very good seasons in the reserves, and now that he's been elevated to the senior list, should also be given a chance if he can continue to improve his reserves performances. What I liked about Robbo was that he showed his versatility in playing a number of roles, including a midfield shutdown tagging role. BJ will really have to turn it on this year with Hiscox coming to the club as I see them as similar players.

In retrospect, I'm happy that Shaw is playing another season. If he had retired, we would have most likely elevated Naismith and opened up another rookie selection, which we really don't need. At worst, Shaw is a pretty handy depth player and will be a big help to the younger players.

Our tall defenders are the only potential weakness going into next season. Ted and Reg have done well enough and both have been resilient. I still see Reid as being the best option to bolstering the back line. Laidler is a good depth player, but really not a key defender. AJ remains a big question. Youngsters Richards, Aliir and Davis are all unproven, but look reasonable prospects as long term replacements for Ted and Reg.

I think it most likely that we will take a KPD with pick 37, but that won't help next season. Perhaps we will draft and experienced state league defender to our rookie list. If the Malceski-like Viojo-Rainbow or the AJ-like Dan Howe are available at pick 37, I wouldn't mind selecting either ahead of a true KPP. Nelson, Ramsey and McClaren look the most likely candidates if we do go for a KPP as at least 2 will probably be available at our pick. We may see one or more slip to the rookie draft as well.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd November 2014, 05:41 PM

He probably deserved to get back in on form. The trouble was that it was late in the season and Longmire probably didn't want to unsettle the team just before the finals.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd November 2014, 05:46 PM
Yes your probably right. I hope your right. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.

stevoswan
22nd November 2014, 06:16 PM
Troy that would mean we would play two ruck of the same type as Pykie & Nanka are both Forward/Ruck not specialist rucks. I don't think Pykie is a great 1st ruck. I watched all those games people on here are praising him for and his taps are mostly ineffective. He taps down to the feet of our mids too often, soft taps that result in packs developing. The Hawks roved to this and set up a wall with Mitchell, Burgoyne Langford at different times on the outside to clear the ball. While Nanka is a better tap than Pykie his huge value is resting in the forward line. He takes a great mark & his rucking in the pockets is very good. Naismith and Derrickx are the specialist rucks. Both can punch the living hell out of the ball. Both can direct the ball in a very tight spot to a running mid. Pykie was always value because of his forward work. As a second ruck he is still highly valuable as it makes the opposition set up differently and he is the best contested mark in the game.
That's why he and Mummy worked so well. Geez we miss Mummy. I'll go a far as to say we would have won more games and the GF this year if he was still with us(and AJ!). The only negative of the Buddy deal. Lamb would have been chopped anyway.....you see what I did there:D.

S.S. Bleeder
22nd November 2014, 09:45 PM
That's why he and Mummy worked so well. Geez we miss Mummy. I'll go a far as to say we would have won more games and the GF this year if he was still with us(and AJ!). The only negative of the Buddy deal. Lamb would have been chopped anyway.....you see what I did there:D.

Yep. You're 100% correct. Mummy's absence and the absence of a true ruckman really hit us last year. Our problem is that we have a couple of years before Naismith develops and we need to cope until then. It's similar to our KPD problem.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd November 2014, 10:16 PM
im not too worried

ive seen top level players in cricket get a 200 score one game then get a duck the next game

we were on the pace all season, in the finals........ then had a shocka in the GF !

We wont see to many changes but I really want Tom Mitchell back in the team and if that means Macca plays in the back line that is fine with me

I also want Rohan in the back line rotation

S.S. Bleeder
22nd November 2014, 11:13 PM
im not too worried

ive seen top level players in cricket get a 200 score one game then get a duck the next game

we were on the pace all season, in the finals........ then had a shocka in the GF !

We wont see to many changes but I really want Tom Mitchell back in the team and if that means Macca plays in the back line that is fnine with me

That's true for individuals, but you expect more consistent results (or less volatile results) from a team. I think the one player we missed in the GF was Mitchell. We needed someone who was capable of clearances.

Matt80
22nd November 2014, 11:19 PM
Easier for Mitchell to keep Heeney off his tail without Matt80 on his back.

I hate to dampen my own influence in the World, but I don't think Tom Mitchell gives a crap about what Matt80 posts.

Does anyone know if Swans players read Red and White Online or post themselves with an alias?

dimelb
23rd November 2014, 12:03 PM
I don't know about current players but I heard from a reliable source that one ex-player thinks a lot of the opinions are rubbish. I have no idea who he has been reading!

Melbourne_Blood
23rd November 2014, 02:43 PM
I don't know about current players but I heard from a reliable source that one ex-player thinks a lot of the opinions are rubbish. I have no idea who he has been reading!

That's probably a fair assessment!

wolftone57
23rd November 2014, 02:54 PM
im not too worried

We wont see to many changes but I really want Tom Mitchell back in the team and if that means Macca plays in the back line that is fine with me

I totally agree about Rohan & Mitchell. But I think we are going to have to find mongrel to win a premiership again. The AFL seem to be willing to allow old fashioned GF biffo, head highs and shirt fronts so we have to be harder.

penga
24th November 2014, 03:30 PM
That's true for individuals, but you expect more consistent results (or less volatile results) from a team.

The exact same thing happened to my NFL team, the Denver Broncos. They were dominant all year, believed their own hype, and didn't turn up for Superbowl Sunday. And that is with Peyton throwing the most completed passes in Superbowl history. He was the only one who turned up to play, despite his two INT, similar to Buddy. The comparison between the two teams' performances is actually pretty frightening.

Hawthorn wanted it more, Seattle wanted it more. Game over.

Auntie.Gerald
24th November 2014, 09:08 PM
Mitchell eyeing big 2015 with the Swans - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-11-24/swan-eyeing-big-2015-syd)

tom contracted for 2015 and 2016 ?

Matt80
24th November 2014, 11:14 PM
The exact same thing happened to my NFL team, the Denver Broncos. They were dominant all year, believed their own hype, and didn't turn up for Superbowl Sunday. And that is with Peyton throwing the most completed passes in Superbowl history. He was the only one who turned up to play, despite his two INT, similar to Buddy. The comparison between the two teams' performances is actually pretty frightening.

Hawthorn wanted it more, Seattle wanted it more. Game over.

Great to see a fellow NFL fan on Red and White. Do you think the AFL game will get to the stage where there are all these different set plays for different scenarios?

I can see a situation where a coach with a mediocre AFL team will take an NFL approach of scripting set plays for every position on the field on both offence and defence. This team will dominate the AFL until all AFL teams start scripting set plays for 80 minutes.

With 18 players a side who can go anywhere, there could be some very exciting scripted plays.

Conor_Dillon
25th November 2014, 07:49 AM
You've officially lost the plot Matt

Matt80
25th November 2014, 10:42 AM
You've officially lost the plot Matt

Not at all. Set plays are already occurring from kick outs and centre square ball ups.

The set pieces will get more sophisticated and rehearsed.

If you have a situation where you have a mark 70m out from goal and all the opposition players are guarding space behind the ball, why should you not have 10 scripted set plays to work through that scenario. The captain will call the set play and all 18 attacking players will move into position and implement the play. You have 15 seconds to get into that position from the time the ball is marked.

It�s the future of the game. I�m writing the plot not losing it.

Melbourne_Blood
25th November 2014, 12:26 PM
It�s the future of the game. I�m writing the plot not losing it.[/QUOTE]
Officially the wankiest thing you've ever said, and that's no mean feat.

RogueSwan
25th November 2014, 12:34 PM
I�m losing it.had to edit it for accuracy.

The time taken for someone to setup for a shot on goal is a chance for the boys to have a breather. I don't they then want to have to be sprinting to a far wing because the captain calls a set play. The open structure of AFL allows for too many options for a captain (who is also probably looking for 10 seconds of respite) to be able to make a call. Players could be anywhere on the field and no where near where they need to be for certain plays.

Back on topic:

Looking just at our backs with Eski leaving and Shaw getting older who is going to be the dashing rebounder?

Is Rohan going to get enough of the ball to be effective?
Does Rampe take it on with his long kicking?
I don't think Macca has the top speed required any more.
Jones?
One from left field ... Cunningham?

wolftone57
25th November 2014, 04:18 PM
Great to see a fellow NFL fan on Red and White. Do you think the AFL game will get to the stage where there are all these different set plays for different scenarios?

I can see a situation where a coach with a mediocre AFL team will take an NFL approach of scripting set plays for every position on the field on both offence and defence. This team will dominate the AFL until all AFL teams start scripting set plays for 80 minutes.

With 18 players a side who can go anywhere, there could be some very exciting scripted plays.

If you rely on set plays you become predictable. I can tell almost every move an NRL or gridiron team will make before they do it because they do it every week. We need to have a range of strategies not set plays Matt 80. Strategies to combat the opposition moves no matter what they do. We didn't have any answer for Hawks in the GF. I think the coaches really have to look at their contribution and come up with something different. Probably changing the team to match the forward structure. In other words great delivery and winning clearances & stoppages is a must. We can't keep relying on rebound footy it is exhausting and if their delivery is faultless, see Hawks, then it stuffs up.

chalbilto
25th November 2014, 05:05 PM
I have just read on the BF site that Alex Johnson's infection has cleared and that he is scheduled to have another Lars operation in Jan/Feb with a hopeful return to playing mid year. Great news if this happens.

Auntie.Gerald
25th November 2014, 06:50 PM
and it could be a seamless return ala Mal from here baby

- - - Updated - - -

btw does anyone else like a fortified drink from time to time ?

http://www.fermentarium.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/large_fortified_beer.jpg

JPK12
25th November 2014, 08:34 PM

While it makes a lot of sense for corporate advertisers, whch it seems you are very happy to support like its your lifeline, the stop start nature of NFL is what kills it as a spectator sport. Americans think they love the game but in reality its like how we think we like one day cricket, a perfect excuse to sit around and eat and drink until you fall asleep at home or to drink and eat till your hearts content at the game which you get bored after 5 minutes and are more entertained with what the idiot in bay 40 is doing.

If you want a stop start game, watch a random game from the 1960s.

Yeah riverting stuff.

Matt80
25th November 2014, 09:08 PM
While it makes a lot of sense for corporate advertisers, whch it seems you are very happy to support like its your lifeline, the stop start nature of NFL is what kills it as a spectator sport. Americans think they love the game but in reality its like how we think we like one day cricket, a perfect excuse to sit around and eat and drink until you fall asleep at home or to drink and eat till your hearts content at the game which you get bored after 5 minutes and are more entertained with what the idiot in bay 40 is doing.

If you want a stop start game, watch a random game from the 1960s.

Yeah riverting stuff.

Five years ago I went to a regular season NFL game in New Jersey between the New York Giants and the Oakland Raiders. The atmosphere, passion and intensity of that crowd was superior to any AFL Grand Final I have attended.

There were people literally running between the toilet, the food stand screaming and cheering so they would not miss a play.

All the fans knew the stats of there favourite players and when their team made a big play they all turned around to high five everyone regardless of whether they knew them or not.

JPK12, you need to go to watch Seattle Seahawks at their home ground (The Kingdome) and experience the amazing passion and noise. It's so loud that the Seahawks are said to have 12 players on the field at one time instead of the usual 11.

The AFL is stop start and I believe more strategic plays will come into the game.

S.S. Bleeder
25th November 2014, 09:18 PM
I have just read on the BF site that Alex Johnson's infection has cleared and that he is scheduled to have another Lars operation in Jan/Feb with a hopeful return to playing mid year. Great news if this happens.

Wow, I hope that's right. We really need him and really deserves to make it In the AFL. I can't see him playing any games next year though.

JPK12
25th November 2014, 09:34 PM
Five years ago I went to a regular season NFL game in New Jersey between the New York Giants and the Oakland Raiders. The atmosphere, passion and intensity of that crowd was superior to any AFL Grand Final I have attended.

There were people literally running between the toilet, the food stand screaming and cheering so they would not miss a play.

All the fans knew the stats of there favourite players and when their team made a big play they all turned around to high five everyone regardless of whether they knew them or not.

JPK12, you need to go to watch Seattle Seahawks at their home ground (The Kingdome) and experience the amazing passion and noise. It's so loud that the Seahawks are said to have 12 players on the field at one time instead of the usual 11.

I dont know Matt after going to some crazy mad soccer countries and experiencing their match day atmosphere i find everything else sterile. The closest I would say to any club in Australia emulating the soccer atmosphere i witnessed is the WSW.

I think aust crowds are similar to yank crowds, yeah they make heaps of noise when something occurs but that's about it.

The AFL is stop start and I believe more strategic plays will come into the game.

How would coaches utilise a stop start game plan? When you mark the ball you have a short time to dispose of it and i dont think the AFL will be too happy with a tactic designed to stop the game. Coaches already use a slow down tactic by getting players to hold on to possetion by kicking it back/sideways and sharing amongst other defenders. Even then the crowd gets restless and the umps get the @@@@s by looking for any free to stop it occurring.

If any coach would to use a stop start tactic it would be ross lyon.

Auntie.Gerald
27th November 2014, 09:55 PM
have not noticed Heeney in any of the pre season training ?

what injury did he suffer from recently?

Meg
27th November 2014, 10:10 PM
have not noticed Heeney in any of the pre season training ?

what injury did he suffer from recently?

Saw Heeney dressed in Swans shorts and top at SCG on Tuesday just after he had bought his lunch. I assumed he had been at training.

Auntie.Gerald
27th November 2014, 10:12 PM
cool

just havent noticed him doing any of the long distance running ?

i remember Heeney didnt go to the Draft combine testing etc as he was suffering tendonitis of the knee similar to Tom Mitchell a few years ago ??

wolftone57
28th November 2014, 03:30 PM

The AFL is not stop start generally Matt. The NFL sure is. It takes 4 hours to finish a 60 minute game. They measure downs with a tape measure every play. Then the advertisements and cheer leaders start between plays. I used to watch this game years ago. Boring.

Auntie.Gerald
29th November 2014, 07:18 AM
I personally would very much like Rohan, Jones and Heeney ready for finals in 2015..........that will mean Rohan and or Jones will most likely keep Shaw out of Snrs on a week to week basis.......I personally think we need a more spreading power to bring down the Hawks and to compete against Port.........I dont think we will replicate the lack of inside work we displayed in the 2nd game and final against the Hawks but teh addition of Mitchell and Heeney would really help our inside work and bring such energy as well as execution

I am not sure who would go for Heeney mid way thru the season but i suspect one of Mitchell, Bird, Jetta, Jones, Lloyd or Harry ? ............I just cant see Heeney being ignored as he is a weapon

snrs 2015

goodes, tip, harry
KJack, buddy, bird

hannes
jetta
kennedy
parker
mcglynn
pyke

smith, reg, macca
rampe, ted, rohan

19. jones
20. reid
21. mitchell
22. lloyd

---------------

ressies 2015

Rose, Nanny, Towers
Perris, Davis, ?

Derickx
Hewett
Robinson
Heeney
BJ
Hiscox

Laidler, Aliir, Marsh
Shaw, Xavier, AJ (when ready)

19. Naismith

JPK12
29th November 2014, 11:47 AM
The AFL is not stop start generally Matt. The NFL sure is. It takes 4 hours to finish a 60 minute game. They measure downs with a tape measure every play. Then the advertisements and cheer leaders start between plays. I used to watch this game years ago. Boring.

I'm telling ya, the game is designed so people can sit down and eat rubbish food for 4 hours with constant ads telling people to eat drink and @@@@ more once they are done eating their first round of junk. Majority of the ads shown are for beer, fast food and sugar. Its the same as watching a one dayer in cricket. Beer, fast food and sugar. It used to be cggies as well but thats banned as we all know.

rojo
29th November 2014, 12:21 PM
Yes, hopefully Mitchell and Rohan come into their own next year. They are our potential 'stars' of 2015. Also a way has to be found for Jets and Reid to contribute way beyond what we saw this year. For me being a one trick pony kicking 45 or so goals is preferable to him corralling opposition players up and down the field all day. Let someone who hasn't got his particular talents do that. Then there is KT. Unless he can stay on the park and produce something near to what the hype around him suggested he can, he should become 2nd ruck and let Sam and Buddy be trained up to become our main forward combination. On paper at least we do have a super team!

I see Lloyd, Jones, Heeney, Hewett and maybe Towers competing for spots 21 and 22. But of course we also have Shaw, Laidler and Derickx etc ........ who will be desperate for games.

My main concern with the young, tall, potentially KP backmen we have, is that no one appears to have that toughness or grunt that is useful. Rohan and Jones are not going to be able to match it with the Hawkins, Pattons and Boyds and there is going to be a tightening of the rules re blocking players. That is why I was so hoping we would take Oscar McDonald. Now it is going to have to be Reg. How hard is it to push him out of position despite his size and Reid (as with Jets), does not have one smidgen of mongrel in him.

wolftone57
29th November 2014, 05:23 PM
Yes, hopefully Mitchell and Rohan come into their own next year. They are our potential 'stars' of 2015. Also a way has to be found for Jets and Reid to contribute way beyond what we saw this year. For me being a one trick pony kicking 45 or so goals is preferable to him corralling opposition players up and down the field all day. Let someone who hasn't got his particular talents do that. Then there is KT. Unless he can stay on the park and produce something near to what the hype around him suggested he can, he should become 2nd ruck and let Sam and Buddy be trained up to become our main forward combination. On paper at least we do have a super team!

I see Lloyd, Jones, Heeney, Hewett and maybe Towers competing for spots 21 and 22. But of course we also have Shaw, Laidler and Derickx etc ........ who will be desperate for games.

My main concern with the young, tall, potentially KP backmen we have, is that no one appears to have that toughness or grunt that is useful. Rohan and Jones are not going to be able to match it with the Hawkins, Pattons and Boyds and there is going to be a tightening of the rules re blocking players. That is why I was so hoping we would take Oscar McDonald. Now it is going to have to be Reg. How hard is it to push him out of position despite his size and Reid (as with Jets), does not have one smidgen of mongrel in him.

I re-watched McDonald's reel and I can understand why we didn't take him. He is slow once the ball hits the deck and even the tall forwards are quick today. someone like a Cloke, Buddy, Day, Reiwoldt, Jack Reiwoldt, Walker, Jones etc will eat him o the ground. He is good in the air a bit like Reg and similar to Reg on the ground. We need to get mobile talls not slow lumberers. I thought Creeper was a better package but of course I only the highlights reel, ther reality might be quite different.

swans
29th November 2014, 11:51 PM
SYDNEY

In: Isaac Heeney (Swans Academy), Jack Hiscox (Swans Academy), Abe Davis (Swans Academy) James rose

Out: Ryan O'Keefe, Tommy Walsh, Matthew Dick, Jordan Lockyer, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Patrick Mitchell, Shane Biggs, Tim Membrey

Rookie upgrades: Jake Lloyd, Xavier Richards, Daniel Robinson

Draft picks: 18 (Heeney), 37, 38 (Hiscox), 58 (Lloyd), 76 (Davis), 94 (Richards), 112 (Robinson)

Tall forwards: Lance Franklin, Kurt Tippett, Sam Reid, Abe Davis

Tall defenders: Ted Richards, Heath Grundy, Jeremy Laidler, Alex Johnson, Aliir Aliir, Xavier Richards

Small/medium forwards: Ben McGlynn, Adam Goodes, Dean Towers, Brandon Jack, james rose

Small/medium defenders: Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Rhyce Shaw, Gary Rohan, Zak Jones, Harry Marsh.

Midfielders: Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack, Dan Hannebery, Lewis Jetta, Jarrad McVeigh, Craig Bird, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell, Harry Cunningham, Jake Lloyd, Daniel Robinson, George Hewett, Isaac Heeney, Jack Hiscox, Lloyd Perris (rookie)

Rucks: Mike Pyke, Tom Derickx, Toby Nankervis, Sam Naismith (rookie)

Most of the Swans' work is done, with Heeney, Hiscox and Davis all tied up at the academy bidding meeting six weeks ago. All have a lot to offer, with Heeney arguably the most complete player in the draft pool and someone the club can expect to play some serious senior footy next year, all things going well. Hiscox is a runner, made for the modern game, and Davis' power and courage gives him the chance to be just as big a bargain as Heeney. They've already had one of the better drafts, and it hasn't even been held yet. If the Swans have one area of need it's probably the backline, where Richards and Grundy aren't getting any younger, and Aliir and Richards are unproven. Whether or not they see a player they like at pick 37 is the big question � the better talls will go in the first 15 � and the Swans don't have a habit of reaching for positional types when there are other ways of getting them (provided they talk the AFL into ending their trade ban, that is). They could also look for a half-forward type , with Lukas Webb one who could fall around that mark James rose was taken to fill that small forward option.

cherub
30th November 2014, 01:02 AM
Nick Malceski is an "out".

Auntie.Gerald
30th November 2014, 08:28 AM
the only surprise for me was that we didnt look seriously reece mckenzie at 196cm and 2.87 seconds on the 20m sprint and he went in the pick 70s...........Draft prospect: Reece McKenzie - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-15/draft-prospect-reece-mckenzie)

i certainly thought with that speed build he could have been a KP defensive project

Dosser
30th November 2014, 08:31 AM
Yes, hopefully Mitchell and Rohan come into their own next year.

Last night there was nothing on TV (unless you were in the slightest bit interested in watching extensive coverage of one of the most anemic election results in recent state politics history) so I watched a replay of the prelim against North. I hadnt remembered just how good a game Rohan had played at HB. The guy took everything on and ran and ran. If he can do this from HBF all year next year then I dont think we have much to worry about with the loss of Eski.
In fact, he reminded me of Leo Barry's breakout year from FB when his job was to get the ball and just run - it didnt matter where, and half the time he didnt know - causing carnage in the opposition structure. I think we may have a lot of fun watching Rohan next season.

Still havent watched the replay of the GF and never will...

Auntie.Gerald
30th November 2014, 08:41 AM
agree Dosser

with no Mal at training this pre season Rohan will get a stack of opportunity to learn his craft off the HBF and so to Zac Jones

That makes a massive difference to have so much time in a lower pressure environment to learn your decoy running, your angles, your looking down field before receiving the ball etc etc for me the HBF play making role is one of true art and it takes time to learn the body language and movements of your fellow backs posting up and looking for your attacking HBF "malceski" and now Rohan and Jones...........it also takes time to learn the movements of your forwards once you take off with ball in hand thru the middle of the field

I suspect that Shaw will play a more lock down role in 2015 "IF" rohan and jones can be the players we need in attack off our HBF..............Shaw will be under pressure though as we have so many players fighting for that best 22

SA Swan
30th November 2014, 08:17 PM
Any news on Alex Johnson??

wolftone57
1st December 2014, 12:22 PM
Any news on Alex Johnson??

He is going in for the op in January I heard.

Auntie.Gerald
1st December 2014, 05:19 PM
interesting

Lars is approx 8 to 12 weeks recovery to full runnning

Auntie.Gerald
1st December 2014, 05:36 PM
Senior Swans return - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-12-01/senior-swans-return)

great to see AJ training hard in the boxing and cycling !

amazing that he is doing that training prior to his OP ???

S.S. Bleeder
1st December 2014, 09:35 PM
Senior Swans return - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-12-01/senior-swans-return)

great to see AJ training hard in the boxing and cycling !

amazing that he is doing that training prior to his OP ???

I'm sure he's not doing any impact work, ie running.
Does anyone the the status of the bacteria in AJ's knee? My understanding is that they have no way of being sure that it has gone.

stevoswan
1st December 2014, 11:38 PM
I'm sure he's not doing any impact work, ie running.
Does anyone the the status of the bacteria in AJ's knee? My understanding is that they have no way of being sure that it has gone.

I read on BF the other day that his infection has apparently cleared up, and that's why the LARS surgery is all go now. Still, Jan 1st is still a while away, so maybe they're making sure the infection is gone properly over time, before proceeding. Hope word that the infection is gone is true, I was very worried about it, they can hang around for years in worst case scenarios. Hopefully now it's onward to the glory he deserves!

Ludwig
2nd December 2014, 07:23 PM
Hope they pick a better hospital than Dacca General for AJ this time round!

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57340000/jpg/_57340550_013530691-1.jpg

JPK12
3rd December 2014, 11:16 AM
The knife the surgeon used was found next to his bed

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/swodem/DSC_1.jpg

wolftone57
3rd December 2014, 01:01 PM
I read on BF the other day that his infection has apparently cleared up, and that's why the LARS surgery is all go now. Still, Jan 1st is still a while away, so maybe they're making sure the infection is gone properly over time, before proceeding. Hope word that the infection is gone is true, I was very worried about it, they can hang around for years in worst case scenarios. Hopefully now it's onward to the glory he deserves!

All I hope is they don't use the Austen. It is renowned for Golden Staf infection in the surgical unit. They had to close the unit down at one stage it got so bad.

RogueSwan
3rd December 2014, 01:12 PM
I see Lloyd, Jones, Heeney, Hewett and maybe Towers competing for spots 21 and 22. ...

I don't see Lloyd competing (maybe competing is the wrong word) for a spot. I think ATM it is his to lose.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd December 2014, 11:39 PM
someone earlier touched on how inferior our backline looks to the backline rotation of the hawks and i do believe they are right..........an awesome challenge for our club in 2015 to get our defence to a level where we can truly take on the HAWKS thru the season

Backline rotation at the Hawks with obviously Hodge in the midfield more so in 2014 and Whitecross if he comes back from his 2nd knee reco will get more time in the middle rotation also

Hodge - 186cm
Stratton - 189cm
Suckling - 187cm
Whitecross - 183cm
Birchall - 193cm
Jono ORourke - 188cm

Schoenmakers - 195cm
Lake - 195cm
Frawley - 193cm
Gibson - 189cm
Spang - 195cm

Auntie.Gerald
4th December 2014, 07:15 AM
Ok so now we have our full squad

Here is my guess at the two squads for 2015

Snrs

FB: Smith, Reg, Rampe
HB: McVeigh, Richards, Rohan
C: Jetta, Kennedy, Hannebery
HF: Jack, Franklin, Bird
FF: McGlynn, TIP, Goodes
R: Pyke, Mitchell, Parker
Int: Reid Lloyd Cunningham S: Jones

In my opinion we need MINIMUM ......Rohan and Macca and maybe Jones firing off the HBF rotation to be any chance of making our backline a weapon like the Hawks........

Ressies

FB: Laidler, X, Melican
HB: Newman, Aliir, Shaw
C: B.Jack, Hewett, Hiscox
HF: Foote, Davis, Perris
FF: Rose, Nanny, Towers
R: Derickx, Heeney, Robinson
Int: McLaren, Marsh, Naismith S: AJ :)

Id like to see Marsh continue as a midfielder like his first half of 2014

dimelb
4th December 2014, 10:19 AM
I like your selections AG, but I think the club will probably go with Shaw in the seniors, possibly at the expense of Jones. I prefer your choices.

I also think we will see Heeney in the seniors sooner rather than later.

Your comment about the Hawks backline points out where we need to give special attention. We finished the season as the best defensive unit, but although I don't know the details offhand, I suspect the Hawks rated as the best attacking defence.

sharp9
5th December 2014, 09:14 AM
Interestingly over the past 5 or so years we have now developed one of the most "keen" lists in the entire AFL.

What I mean by that is that out of 44 listed players no fewer than 17 of them wanted to go to the Swans as their team of choice!

This contrasts with the usual 3 or 4 at any one time over the past 20 years (Leo Barry, Brett Kirk, Craig Bolton, LRT, Ben Mathews, Sean Dempster, Doyle, Ed Barlow, Tadgh Kennelly....that's about it really....I don't include NSW rookies who were never going to be of interest to other clubs and never looked like making it)

13 from NSW

Jarrad Mcveigh
Kieran Jack
Craig Bird
Dane Rampe
Harry Cunningham
Brandon Jack
Daniel Robinson
Isaac Heeney
Jack Hiscox
Abe Davis
Lloyd Perris
Sam Naismith
Jordan Foote

1 father - son
Tom Mitchell

1 brother - brother
Xavier Richards

1 International Rookie
Mike Pyke

1 Sudanese Swans supporter
Aliir Aliir

Already that is more than a third....and next year there will be at least one more academy player and one more father son - so there should be 19 out of 44 which must be way higher than the AFL average. Probably even the SA and WA teams don't have that many.

stevoswan
5th December 2014, 08:15 PM
I'm expecting Mitchell to be a regular pick next season, but with Heeney expected to also be given a chance earlier rather than later, that coupled with Horses penchant for team stability/minimal changes, I'm hoping Mitchell doesn't end up battling Heeney for his spot. If Heeney gets the edge, Tom will be off at seasons end to be sure(or at least when he's a free agent). Hoping there's room for both. Talent alone says YES! But who goes? Lloyd, Cunners or Bird? They all deserve to stay in at this point. Nice to have so much talent available......fighting for spots should see efforts rise.

wolftone57
6th December 2014, 06:27 AM
Interestingly over the past 5 or so years we have now developed one of the most "keen" lists in the entire AFL.

What I mean by that is that out of 44 listed players no fewer than 17 of them wanted to go to the Swans as their team of choice!

This contrasts with the usual 3 or 4 at any one time over the past 20 years (Leo Barry, Brett Kirk, Craig Bolton, LRT, Ben Mathews, Sean Dempster, Doyle, Ed Barlow, Tadgh Kennelly....that's about it really....I don't include NSW rookies who were never going to be of interest to other clubs and never looked like making it)

13 from NSW

Jarrad Mcveigh
Kieran Jack
Craig Bird
Dane Rampe
Harry Cunningham
Brandon Jack
Daniel Robinson
Isaac Heeney
Jack Hiscox
Abe Davis
Lloyd Perris
Sam Naismith
Jordan Foote

1 father - son
Tom Mitchell

1 brother - brother
Xavier Richards

1 International Rookie
Mike Pyke

1 Sudanese Swans supporter
Aliir Aliir

Already that is more than a third....and next year there will be at least one more academy player and one more father son - so there should be 19 out of 44 which must be way higher than the AFL average. Probably even the SA and WA teams don't have that many.

I think both Tippett and Buddy chose the Swans rather than the other way round. In fact the rigmarole trying to fit Buddy into the salary cap was astounding. His management contacted the Swans not the other way round. Kurt was so excited he managed to get here as he has long been a fan of the Swans. Hannas was also extremely excited to be here. He loves the Swans and his actions since getting here suggest he loves and plays for the jumper & club.

wolftone57
6th December 2014, 06:34 AM
I'm expecting Mitchell to be a regular pick next season, but with Heeney expected to also be given a chance earlier rather than later, that coupled with Horses penchant for team stability/minimal changes, I'm hoping Mitchell doesn't end up battling Heeney for his spot. If Heeney gets the edge, Tom will be off at seasons end to be sure(or at least when he's a free agent). Hoping there's room for both. Talent alone says YES! But who goes? Lloyd, Cunners or Bird? They all deserve to stay in at this point. Nice to have so much talent available......fighting for spots should see efforts rise.

I don't see them as clashing as they are slightly different types of players. Heeney plays tall and as an extractor is a bull, like Fyfe/Mundy whereas Tommy is an in and under subtle extractor. In other words you don't know the ball has gone until after it has with Mitchell, much like Sam Mitchell. I also think there is room for them both at different stages of the year. There could be more rotation of mids this year to ensure players don't get over burdened. Some experts have suggested Heeney will play forward for his first season with short stints in the mids. Mitchell will definitely start. Up until he was injured he was an automatic selection early last year.

Auntie.Gerald
6th December 2014, 07:14 PM
Alex Johnson on his debut, R3 2011 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxrXOOMvdrQ)

AJ debut

S.S. Bleeder
6th December 2014, 10:26 PM

I'm sorry to say that it is extremely unlikely that he will be having an op in January. The last one was rejected only a couple of months ago. I've spoken to a sports medicine friend of mine. The infection he has is undetectable (hence the previous issues) and there is no way of knowing for certain if he is clear or not. They will take their time with AJ as this will be his last chance I would suspect. It really pains me to say that as I'm a huge fan of his. It will probably be another 12 months before he has his op. That will give him the best chance of being clear of the infection.

Auntie.Gerald
7th December 2014, 07:26 AM
Your club's best 22 for round one, 2015 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-06/your-clubs-best-22)

Sydney Swans
B: Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Sam Reid
HB: Gary Rohan, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Harry Cunningham
HF: Tom Mitchell, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Adam Goodes, Kurt Tippett, Ben McGlynn
R: Mike Pyke, Luke Parker, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Jetta, Craig Bird
Sub: Jake Lloyd

New players: None
Unavailable: Alex Johnson (knee)

Comment: Expect minor tweaks to the Swans' best line-up after their crushing Grand Final defeat. Sam Reid could vacate a crowded forward line and look to add to size in defence, while Gary Rohan shapes as a full-time replacement off half-back for departed All Australian Nick Malceski. Tom Mitchell has made an eye-catching start to pre-season and the time may be right to thrust the clearance specialist into senior football consistently, easing in off half-forward. Disappointing Grand Final performances shouldn't force Lewis Jetta and Jake Lloyd out of the team, but there will be pressure ahead of round one from prized draftee Isaac Heeney and Brandon Jack, who is yet to carve out his role at the Swans. Zak Jones has enjoyed a strong start to pre-season and is eyeing a role in the backline. - Nathan Schmook

wolftone57
10th December 2014, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry to say that it is extremely unlikely that he will be having an op in January. The last one was rejected only a couple of months ago. I've spoken to a sports medicine friend of mine. The infection he has is undetectable (hence the previous issues) and there is no way of knowing for certain if he is clear or not. They will take their time with AJ as this will be his last chance I would suspect. It really pains me to say that as I'm a huge fan of his. It will probably be another 12 months before he has his op. That will give him the best chance of being clear of the infection.

Sorry but the rejection was ages ago, nearly a whole season ago.

Swan Alex Johnson faces third knee reconstruction - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-15/swan-johnson-hobbled-again)

The infection has made things difficult but the club reported the infection is under control.

Sydney's Alex Johnson faces fourth reconstruction (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/sydneys-alex-johnson-faces-fourth-reconstruction-20140912-10fw92.html)

The operation is supposed to go ahead in January. His LARS removal way July, not a couple of months ago. Hopefully the infection will have cleared.

S.S. Bleeder
10th December 2014, 07:48 PM
Here's my submission on what the ideal team for next year should be;

FB. Reid, Grundy, Smith
HB. Rampe, T. Richards, McVeigh
C. Hannebery, Mitchell, Jetta
HF. K. Jack, Franklin, Cunningham
FF. Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
R. Pyke, Kennedy, Parker
Int. Jones, Bird, Rohan
Sub. Heeney
Emerg. Towers, Lloyd, Nankervis

Hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

I suspect that Shaw will play in the side for most of the year as Longmire doesn't like to make big changes, however I don't believe he deserves a spot.

wolftone57
12th December 2014, 02:45 PM
Tip is looking like a monster in the training footage. Same Buddy, who seems to be over the thumb & shoulder problems that have plagued his career. The young blokes are pushing training according to Rhyce, not the other way round, most curious. I would have thought the older blokes would have been driving training? but if the younger blokes are really keen that satisfies me greatly, it shows a desire for success.

I am loathe to predict who will fit into the team the first game of the year due to unforeseen training injuries and preseason games etc. Someone might come along in the preseason and completely change the pecking order due to form, like Rampe last year. But if I was to look at the list as it is, Jonno withstanding, I think this is the likely line up. I say this due to the coaching staff not being willing to take risks of any sort and being a bit staid. There are also times in a season when a player needs to be dropped due to poor form. Last year Hannas, Birdie, Kizza (due to injury), Macca, Sammy, Tip, Reg, Teddy, Harry & Rhyce all had form slumps. Every one except Birdie was allowed to regain form in the seniors. I don't believe in that as it either cost us early games or nearly cost us games; See Port, Suns, Richmond (2 it did the last). I believe an out of form player, no matter who he is, should regain form in the Twos.

So this is what I think the selection committee will pick if all stays the same as last year (form, no bolters etc);

Backline; Smith Richards Rohan

Half Backline; Shaw Grundy Rampe

Centre; Jetta Parker Hannaberry

Half Forward ; Cunningham Franklin McVeigh

Forward; McGlinn Tippett Goodes

Followers; Pyke Kennedy Mitchell

Reserves: Jack, Bird, Reid, Sub; Lloyd.

The Reserves best team only few top ups;

Backs; McLachlan Richards Jones

Half Backs; Newman Aliir Laidler

Centre; Robinson Hewett Foote

Half Forward; Jack Davis Hiscox

Forward; Towers Nankervis Rose

Followers; Derrickx Heeney Perris

Bench; Naismith, Davis, Marsh, Mellican

Emergencies not on list; Mills, Hey, Hadden & Dickson.

Ludwig
12th December 2014, 04:10 PM
The Reserves best team only few top ups;

Backs; McLachlan Richards Jones

Half Backs; Newman Aliir Laidler

Centre; Robinson Hewett Foote

Half Forward; Jack Davis Hiscox

Forward; Towers Nankervis Rose

Followers; Derrickx Heeney Perris

Bench; Naismith, Davis, Marsh, Mellican

Emergencies not on list; Mills, Hey, Hadden & Dickson.

I hope you're right; it would be great having McLaghlan in our defence, especially if we can get him on our side by Monday.

Auntie.Gerald
12th December 2014, 09:00 PM
McLaghlan ??

Ludwig
12th December 2014, 09:22 PM
I've been traded where...?

1186 Can I top up my salary with some COLA? Heh? Ya say I took that away from them? Why would I that? It costs a bloody fortune to live in Sydney?

Ya say I'm rich already and don't need the COLA? Lucky for me.

I better pack my bags.

Auntie.Gerald
12th December 2014, 09:25 PM
http://www.magic4walls.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Amazed-Cat-Surprised-Kitty-funny-humor-Struck-Cat-surprise-kitten-funny-humor.jpg

Untamed Snark
12th December 2014, 09:30 PM
I've been traded where...?

1186 Can I top up my salary with some COLA? Heh? Ya say I took that away from them? Why would I that? It costs a bloody fortune to live in Sydney?

Ya say I'm rich already and don't need the COLA? Lucky for me.

I better pack my bags.
What do you mean I can't have everything?

dimelb
12th December 2014, 10:26 PM
Hilarious!

wolftone57
14th December 2014, 01:32 PM
:redface:Sorry that should be Mclaren. I have that mongrel's name battered on my psyche because of all the crap in the off season

Auntie.Gerald
16th December 2014, 11:51 AM
SwansTV: Jordan Foote highlights - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-12-03/swanstv-jordan-foote-highlights)

i must say jordan foote reminds me so much of Keiran jack at the same age...........but with a better kicking game at the same age

they both have that low centre of gravity and strong shoulders bustling thru traffic

they certainly have that look in their eyes that exudes commitment, confidence and a player that team mates respect

but above all they both love to take on the first man with a rugby league step and do it in style which is such a handy skill to bust open a fast transition

182cm and looks all of the 78kg he was recorded at back in may 2014

jordan is a player i think we will enjoy watching more of in 2015 ressies

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/336048-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

wolftone57
17th December 2014, 12:23 PM
SwansTV: Jordan Foote highlights - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2014-12-03/swanstv-jordan-foote-highlights)

i must say jordan foote reminds me so much of Keiran jack at the same age...........but with a better kicking game at the same age

they both have that low centre of gravity and strong shoulders bustling thru traffic

they certainly have that look in their eyes that exudes commitment, confidence and a player that team mates respect

but above all they both love to take on the first man with a rugby league step and do it in style which is such a handy skill to bust open a fast transition

182cm and looks all of the 78kg he was recorded at back in may 2014

jordan is a player i think we will enjoy watching more of in 2015 ressies

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/336048-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Got to agree there AG liked his footage and the few times I have seen him play he has been impressive.

SA Swan
18th December 2014, 08:50 AM
I know this is off thread, (I haven't yet worked how to start a thread). Has anyone noticed that player stat on Tom Mitchell shows him weighing 101KG and stands at 199cm. He has had a big pre-season.

wolftone57
18th December 2014, 09:00 AM
I know this is off thread, (I haven't yet worked how to start a thread). Has anyone noticed that player stat on Tom Mitchell shows him weighing 101KG and stands at 199cm. He has had a big pre-season.

Shot up amazingly. Must be using growth hormone. I put it on the plants and boy does it work. They grow, grow, grow. Tallest rover ever!

But sadly no. Saw him recently no great growth spurt over the off season. I think they might have got his stats mixed up with Patrick Mitchell. Silly Admin.

Not really off topic Tom is part of the Best 22 I think.

Auntie.Gerald
18th December 2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Players - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/football/players/senior-players)

Davis 98kg ?

i always find it amazing how the last couple of years they get it the wrong way round for the Jacks also !

attention to detail

Goodes has always been 194cm - incorrect on swans site

Tom D is not 204cm !

Harrison looks heavier then 82kg but i could be wrong

jono2707
18th December 2014, 12:44 PM
Shot up amazingly. Must be using growth hormone. I put it on the plants and boy does it work. They grow, grow, grow. Tallest rover ever!

But sadly no. Saw him recently no great growth spurt over the off season. I think they might have got his stats mixed up with Patrick Mitchell. Silly Admin.

Not really off topic Tom is part of the Best 22 I think.

Yes in every Footy Record I bought this year, Patrick Mitchell's height/weight stats were replicated to Tom below.

Tom D isn't 204? That's what he was listed at in the Record as well - what is he?

Auntie.Gerald
18th December 2014, 12:51 PM
TD 201cm if he is lucky

Tippo is all over him at training and games when i have watched them walking near each other

i know it is anal but i find it strange they appear to have 5 or mistakes in the site almost every year on the player profiles ???

Jewels
18th December 2014, 03:30 PM
TD 201cm if he is lucky

Tippo is all over him at training and games when i have watched them walking near each other

i know it is anal but i find it strange they appear to have 5 or mistakes in the site almost every year on the player profiles ???

Not anal at all Auntie, why bother having them if they're not accurate!

Ludwig
18th December 2014, 04:54 PM
Davis 98kg ?
I think it's Nick Davis.

Dosser
18th December 2014, 06:04 PM
I think it's Nick Davis.

I laughed.

wolftone57
19th December 2014, 02:30 PM
TD 201cm if he is lucky

Yes AG they had Naismith down at 201 & he is 206.

wolftone57
3rd January 2015, 11:18 AM
I want to go to preseason training Monday. does anyone know what time they will be training? I believe it is early in the morning which would suit me as I have to be at the doctor in Darlinghurst at 11am. So I can have some breaky on the way to Doc's.

DamY
3rd January 2015, 12:18 PM
I want to go to preseason training Monday. does anyone know what time they will be training? I believe it is early in the morning which would suit me as I have to be at the doctor in Darlinghurst at 11am. So I can have some breaky on the way to Doc's.

You gotta call the club, wish they would just post it on social media instead.

wolftone57
3rd January 2015, 12:43 PM
You gotta call the club, wish they would just post it on social media instead.

Hard to call the club when they may not be open before training Monday. Office hours are 8.30am to 5.30pm I think. Training sometimes starts at 8am. If that is the case then I would miss it coming from Lilyfield. I am not living next to the SCG, if I were I would be out there every training session and would know the times. Thank you anyway. I thought some of the moderators here might just know.

Untamed Snark
3rd January 2015, 01:41 PM
Hard to call the club when they may not be open before training Monday. Office hours are 8.30am to 5.30pm I think. Training sometimes starts at 8am. If that is the case then I would miss it coming from Lilyfield. I am not living next to the SCG, if I were I would be out there every training session and would know the times. Thank you anyway. I thought some of the moderators here might just know.

Are you on twitter?
Someone from the Swans may be monitoring

wolftone57
3rd January 2015, 03:17 PM
Are you on twitter?
Someone from the Swans may be monitoring

yep I am thank you. I got the info from big footy. The Swans training is 8.30-9am start. I will be there. Anybody game?

Untamed Snark
3rd January 2015, 08:19 PM
I'm going to try.
will depend on how bad the heat gets tomorrow

wolftone57
4th January 2015, 02:03 PM
I'm going to try.
will depend on how bad the heat gets tomorrow

It is very early so the heat is minimal at that time of day. They finish at about 10.30 I think and hit the Gym. Be a good look at some of the young new recruits. Good to see how they handle working with the experienced bodies.

Auntie.Gerald
9th January 2015, 08:05 PM
The big questions for me are :

1. We need a more attacking backline like the Hawks.....so Can Gary Rohan take the next step as the give and go hBF and dominate?

2. We need to emerge a 2nd give and go attacking hbf for 2015 minimum to replace mal....Will this player be Zac jones?

3. Goodes - can someone play his role better ? ie as he describes he is playing the small forward role

4. Can anyone stop heeney from being part of the 22? I don't think so - he will come in as the forward/midfield role ala all the greats in their first season such as Roo, Voss, rok etc

Nico
9th January 2015, 09:48 PM
B. Smith, Richards, Rampe
HB. Shaw, Grundy, McVeigh
C. Jetta, Kennedy, Jack
HF. Hanners, Franklin, McGlynn
F. Reid, Tippett, Goodes
Rucks. Pyke, Parker, Lloyd
Inter. Mitchell, Bird, Jones, Heeney

Auntie.Gerald
10th January 2015, 01:50 AM
No Cunningham ?

jono2707
10th January 2015, 08:12 AM
No Cunningham ?

No Rohan?

frankee
10th January 2015, 02:00 PM
HB. Shaw, Grundy, Rohan
C. Jetta, McVeigh, Jack
HF. Hanners, Reid, Franklin
F. McGlynn, Tippett, Goodes
Rucks. Pyke, Parker, Kennedy
Inter. Mitchell, Bird, Lloyd, Heeney

Flying South
10th January 2015, 06:20 PM
HB. Shaw, Grundy, Rohan
C. Jetta, McVeigh, Jack
HF. Hanners, Reid, Franklin
F. McGlynn, Tippett, Goodes
Rucks. Pyke, Parker, Kennedy
Inter. Mitchell, Bird, Lloyd, Heeney
Not too bad. I'm concerned that Franklin, Tippett, Goodes and Reid is going too tall and lacking in pace. I would bring Cunningham into that forward line and I would like to see Reid switch to defence and Rampe play of the HBF in place of Shaw.

Also close are Towers as he provides some flexibility and Jones for mongrel and toughness.

Nico
10th January 2015, 10:32 PM
IMHO Cunningham is quick but not strong enough at the footy. Not enough possessions for mine. Played a few good games as a tagger but needs to be more than that.
Rohan is dashing but he too doesn't get enough of the footy yet. At HBF right now he is too loose. Showed that he can back up his other backs. This is his season he needs to put it all together.

Auntie.Gerald
10th January 2015, 10:59 PM
Nico I am politely disagreeing re your assessment of Cunningham

We all want players in the midfield to show 8 tackles, 30 possessions and 3 goals and most of all at the bottom of the pack winning the ball but that is not Cunninghams role

HC had a very specific role with our team and that was as a run with albeit probably more tagging on some of the AFLs finest outside players - as an example the game against Stephen hill was fantastic this year in so much that hill barely had impact on the game

this role outside tagging role is so difficult for us common supporters to assess ie how do we score HC performance Indv and for our team ? How do we sit down and assess "did we nullify all outside running opposition players well enough so we can play our attacking structures and execute" ?

And secondly who are the best options at the swans that physically have the speed to play on the best outside players in the comp ?

We don't have many 'genuine' options against the best teams and thankfully our counter punch pagans paddock structure works brilliantly against almost all teams

Yes We were at least one outside tagging player short against the Hawks and we got smashed by their inside players - but also their outside halfback player rotation left our men 10m behind when attacking the ball - even masters of defence like smithy go baked in the sun like a statue

Auntie.Gerald
27th January 2015, 12:19 AM
i wonder if Heeney does drive right into the 22 whether this will see McGlynn play more up froward again and Heeney in the midfield or the other way round ?

barry
27th January 2015, 07:42 AM
Not sure goodes is automatic selection anymore

Nico
27th January 2015, 10:56 AM
i wonder if Heeney does drive right into the 22 whether this will see McGlynn play more up froward again and Heeney in the midfield or the other way round ?

Still reckon Cunningham will struggle to keep his place in the side. I also doubt BJ will be a factor.

RogueSwan
27th January 2015, 02:11 PM
Still reckon Cunningham will struggle to keep his place in the side. I also doubt BJ will be a factor.

Really, even though he played every game last year and Horse doesn't like to change a side around too much? It will be Harry's spot to lose and as long as he improves from last year I think he will play all year long.

Auntie.Gerald
27th January 2015, 02:27 PM
nico i dont disagree that the competition is seriously hot in the midfield

i am just not sure who else will get teh run with tagging role on the elite fast opposition players in the competition

wolftone57
27th January 2015, 05:29 PM
nico i dont disagree that the competition is seriously hot in the midfield

i am just not sure who else will get teh run with tagging role on the elite fast opposition players in the competition

I tend to agree AG. There are several considerations I think we need to make. Goodes will probably not play the early season. He is on light work now and it is the end of January. He has only a month to prove his fitness and play a preseason game. He won't do that in my opinion. He will probably front up against the stronger opposition. Shaw is another one who may be a horses for courses player. This might apply to several of our players. Bird might not play against Port for instance.

I think there might be a change in thinking because we need to move the ball very quickly into the forward line. More emphasis on winning clearances and stoppages than rebound. I also believe that the so called best 22 might not exist in the home and away season. I think they might opt for a match up and monster strategy which would see some players not playing in some matches due to strategies.

dimelb
27th January 2015, 05:39 PM
I tend to agree AG. There are several considerations I think we need to make. Goodes will probably not play the early season. He is on light work now and it is the end of January. He has only a month to prove his fitness and play a preseason game. He won't do that in my opinion. He will probably front up against the stronger opposition. Shaw is another one who may be a horses for courses player. This might apply to several of our players. Bird might not play against Port for instance.

I think there might be a change in thinking because we need to move the ball very quickly into the forward line. More emphasis on winning clearances and stoppages than rebound. I also believe that the so called best 22 might not exist in the home and away season. I think they might opt for a match up and monster strategy which would see some players not playing in some matches due to strategies.

What is this beast Wolfie?

wolftone57
27th January 2015, 06:47 PM
What is this beast Wolfie?

We are developing more tall strong mids. We are also using very aggressive preseason training, boxing, wrestling, rugby league style running at player and tackling, close checking hard high pressure training. These will make up the beast to a certain extent but i think it will also be balanced by highly skilled, high pressure gather & delivery. More pinpoint passing. This has been a criticism of the Swans for years. We don't use the ball well going into the the forward fifty. I think it has a lot to do with game plan and I also think Longmire will rethink that. A restructured midfield is on the cards with Mitchell and heeney getting good game time. Players like Towers, BJ, Hewett, Hiscox & Jones will also get game time due to match up considerations. I think it is going to depend on what strategy will work against the opposition as to who plays. Defensive strategy then one more defender, offensive strategy one more forward/running player. So monstering the opposition is keeping them under such intense pressure that they turn over the pill. But for that to be effective all the other ingredients must be in place. Otherwise we will be doing a lot of monstering as they will get the pill back.

RogueSwan
27th January 2015, 08:57 PM
...I also believe that the so called best 22 might not exist in the home and away season. I think they might opt for a match up and monster strategy which would see some players not playing in some matches due to strategies.
Just about every year we see RWO posts around the "horses for courses" theory and we often agree with the poster that it is a decent strategy to try but we never see it in reality.

graemed
28th January 2015, 01:53 PM
My confidence in last year's game plan has been seriously dented after two trips to Melbourne last year to see our performances at MCG against Hawthorn. In both games their ability to break into the open both by running away from us and then kicking to accurately to position and our inability to close them down or pressure their kicking was exploited mercilessly.

If we are to overcome teams such as Hawthorn and Port Adelaide this year and remain a contender we have to:

1) win more contested ball at stoppages. Unfortunately, if Kennedy is closed down or off the ground we lose these at an alarming rate. Clearly the ruck division is real weakness but the options here are limited and whilst Pyke is competitive, he is no longer a young man in the game and will undoubtedly be subject to injuries again this year. Derrickx did the job for us at an important time last year but like Pyke seems fragile, ditto Tippett, Reid and Naismith. Nankervis does not look ready at this stage and while he seems big enough, I believe he is more a resting forward than a frontline ruck.

2) be more committed to defensive running in the mid-field. The Swans have long had a reputation for two-way running but in the two games I mentioned and in the Port games, North the first time around and the Qualifying game against Freo, many runners were not taking responsibility for their opponents when turned around. In particular, Goodes, Jetta, Hanneberry, Kennedy and McVeigh need to pick it up.

3) our key position backs have to stay healthy and at the top of their games. Allir, X Richards and even Reid will not be ready this year to step up at the top level as KPP, so much depends on whether Ted and Reg, et al, can get past their GF performances, much of which can attributed to the point above, and be the players they have been in the past.

Of course, many will read this and believe this is a blanket criticism of the individuals and the coaching staff, this is not my intention. I have endured the nightmare of reviewing these matches and have tried to imagine what we need to do to win the premiership. The will is there and so is the talent, we just need to focus on the differences that will redeem our self-esteem

Auntie.Gerald
28th January 2015, 03:19 PM
For me it was more simple :

The Swans greatest strength ie their forward line is also their greatest weakness

If we dont win the ball out of the middle on the big MCG oval then the fast backline of the Hawks push off their man and flood forward in numbers

Thats what the Hawks did and they have plenty of potent kickers coming off their HBF

If we watched the replays indv matchups i am 100% positive that our forwards could go with the HBFs etc of the Hawks...........there was too many mis matches............and we didnt win in the ball ups

I wonder whether we will go with a slightly smaller forward line in 2015 ?

mcs
28th January 2015, 06:49 PM
For me it was more simple :

The Swans greatest strength ie their forward line is also their greatest weakness

If we dont win the ball out of the middle on the big MCG oval then the fast backline of the Hawks push off their man and flood forward in numbers

Thats what the Hawks did and they have plenty of potent kickers coming off their HBF

If we watched the replays indv matchups i am 100% positive that our forwards could go with the HBFs etc of the Hawks...........there was too many mis matches............and we didnt win in the ball ups

I wonder whether we will go with a slightly smaller forward line in 2015 ?

I'd like to think we will try a smaller forward line in 2015 - I think as you've identified it was a huge weakness in 2014. On that issue, it will be hard to make it smaller - perhaps more possible if Tippett can stay fit enough to literally play as a 2nd ruckman/resting forward. Oh how a Schneider/Buchanan type at the top of their career would be useful for our forward line at the moment to compliment the rest of the forward line. It will be really interesting to see how we approach our forward setup.

rojo
29th January 2015, 03:45 PM
I haven't ever been able to work out why we drafted a succession of players like Vespremi, TDL, Lamb and now have B. Jack, presumably to play the small forward role, yet have never found a place for them there. Benny McGlynn was used instead but he spent much of his time up the ground running back into the forward line as do all the mid/forwards. A bit like when 'our Nick' used to play there, and was ignored (most of the time).

RogueSwan
29th January 2015, 04:18 PM
1) win more contested ball at stoppages. Unfortunately, if Kennedy is closed down or off the ground we lose these at an alarming rate...

Hopefully a fit Mitchell (and Jack) will help out there.

Nico
29th January 2015, 10:17 PM
My confidence in last year's game plan has been seriously dented after two trips to Melbourne last year to see our performances at MCG against Hawthorn. In both games their ability to break into the open both by running away from us and then kicking to accurately to position and our inability to close them down or pressure their kicking was exploited mercilessly.

If we are to overcome teams such as Hawthorn and Port Adelaide this year and remain a contender we have to:

1) win more contested ball at stoppages. Unfortunately, if Kennedy is closed down or off the ground we lose these at an alarming rate. Clearly the ruck division is real weakness but the options here are limited and whilst Pyke is competitive, he is no longer a young man in the game and will undoubtedly be subject to injuries again this year. Derrickx did the job for us at an important time last year but like Pyke seems fragile, ditto Tippett, Reid and Naismith. Nankervis does not look ready at this stage and while he seems big enough, I believe he is more a resting forward than a frontline ruck.

2) be more committed to defensive running in the mid-field. The Swans have long had a reputation for two-way running but in the two games I mentioned and in the Port games, North the first time around and the Qualifying game against Freo, many runners were not taking responsibility for their opponents when turned around. In particular, Goodes, Jetta, Hanneberry, Kennedy and McVeigh need to pick it up.

3) our key position backs have to stay healthy and at the top of their games. Allir, X Richards and even Reid will not be ready this year to step up at the top level as KPP, so much depends on whether Ted and Reg, et al, can get past their GF performances, much of which can attributed to the point above, and be the players they have been in the past.

Of course, many will read this and believe this is a blanket criticism of the individuals and the coaching staff, this is not my intention. I have endured the nightmare of reviewing these matches and have tried to imagine what we need to do to win the premiership. The will is there and so is the talent, we just need to focus on the differences that will redeem our self-esteem

And win a heck of a lot more centre clearances. To me this a no brainer to get the footy quickly to Franklin, Tippett and Goodes.

Matt80
30th January 2015, 06:20 AM
My updated team;

B Reid Richards Smith
HB Rohan Grundy Rampe
C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
HF McVeigh Franklin Mglynn
F Goodes Tippett Cunning
Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy

Inter
Mitchell
Heeney
Lloyd

Sub
Jones

Auntie.Gerald
30th January 2015, 07:46 AM
a team which some might say is the change of the guard...........no Shaw and no Bird

IF rohan can make the spot his own on the HBF then I believe this will be the team but I am not sure about Reidy and his role??

I do believe Cunningham will improve and will be vital for the tagging the best outside players in the comp but Heeney, Lloyd and Tommy i think need to beat Birdy for the spot not the other way round just yet

but 6 games at the beginning of the season could tell a different story as Goodes will be under pressure also as he has a lot to prove re his lateral movement and ability to come back from his knee issues

unfortunately Goodes is not the same 2012 player

mcs
30th January 2015, 08:37 AM
My updated team;

B Reid Richards Smith
HB Rohan Grundy Rampe
C Jetta K.Jack Hannas
HF McVeigh Franklin Mglynn
F Goodes Tippett Cunning
Foll Pyke Parker Kennedy

Inter
Mitchell
Heeney
Lloyd

Sub
Jones

Reid in a back pocket - can't see that happening. if he is going to go back he will be at CHB or eventually FB - I doubt you'll see him the pocket anytime soon.

I think McVeigh will go back to defence to replace Mal - thus opening up a spot in the midfied for probably Mitchell. I don't think he will be playing on the HF flank (although I don't mind the idea either).

Mountain Man
30th January 2015, 01:16 PM
As someone else posted, because the Swans will field such a tall forward line, this is both a strength and weakness - the weakness identified as enabling defensive players a bit more freedom to move quicker to win the ball, and then start the rebound. Goodes is the most likely casualty if his movement remains restricted.

Flying South
30th January 2015, 04:12 PM
Reid in a back pocket - can't see that happening. if he is going to go back he will be at CHB or eventually FB - I doubt you'll see him the pocket anytime soon.

I think McVeigh will go back to defence to replace Mal - thus opening up a spot in the midfied for probably Mitchell. I don't think he will be playing on the HF flank (although I don't mind the idea either).
Is there such a thing as a back pocket player these days? IMO everything is based on matchups. You just have tall, medium and small defenders. Reid should play in defence as a 3rd tall, but swing forward where matchups dictate. Our main opposition in Hawthorn and Port all got taller with the addition of Frawley and Ryder, he will become an important swingman for us.

I agree Macca will move back into a defensive midfield (HB) position and share this rebounding role with Rampe and Rohan. This will enable Mitchell to slot into a inside midfield role. I think there could be a generational change about to happwn with Jones, Heeney and Hewett to be pushing strongly for selection early on.

sharp9
31st January 2015, 07:47 AM
I don't think that it is out of the question to play 3 tall defenders....Fletcher, AJ anyone??? And if so, one of them gets named in the back pocket....so it's completely plausible to name Reid there as he would be less suited to being the man on man KPD that Ted and Reg currently are...... Harley and *cough* Maxwell....intercepting, marking tall attacking defenders.

wolftone57
2nd February 2015, 01:04 PM
I think the side needs to be flexible. Match ups are so important in today's footy. Look what happened in the Granny, our match ups were all wrong, for a start Bird should have been on Mitchell. The current best 22 don't really match up well on the Hawks. Richmond give us trouble when the isolate Dusty because we tend to play a real FB, Teddy on him, instead of Smithy or Rampe.

I said in another thread that you need at least 30 players vying for the best 22 to win premierships. The more competition the better. Harder at the selection table but it does give us the chance to get the match ups right. This year we need to be more flexible in our selection. I think we been progressing in this area in the last two years. Three years ago you could have picked the side without much debate as to who would be included in the best 22. But today there is more competition for spots and therefore a much stronger list.

dimelb
2nd February 2015, 02:35 PM
I think the side needs to be flexible. Match ups are so important in today's footy. Look what happened in the Granny, our match ups were all wrong, for a start Bird should have been on Mitchell. The current best 22 don't really match up well on the Hawks. Richmond give us trouble when the isolate Dusty because we tend to play a real FB, Teddy on him, instead of Smithy or Rampe.

Couldn't agree more. I fondly imagined that at some early stage in the selection process the question would be: "Who's our best stopper?" And the obvious next step is to put him on Mitchell or Hodge.

Back on topic, I really like the problems of who to go where that we look like having this season. It can only be beneficial.

Flying South
2nd February 2015, 05:58 PM
I said in another thread that you need at least 30 players vying for the best 22 to win premierships. The more competition the better. Harder at the selection table but it does give us the chance to get the match ups right. This year we need to be more flexible in our selection. I think we been progressing in this area in the last two years. Three years ago you could have picked the side without much debate as to who would be included in the best 22. But today there is more competition for spots and therefore a much stronger list.
I agree. I brought up the same last year and was howled down on many occasions. The problem with having a best 22 selection policy is you don't know what some of our up and comers are capable off at senior level. IMO, I would have a squad of about 26 players who are regularly rotated, including Jones, Heeney, Hewett, Towers, Robinson. And then other key players who will be used as substitutes like X Richards, Aliir, Naismith, Nankervis, etc. We should be utilising the substitute role a lot differently than we currently are. We should be using it to test key players and see what they can bring to the team. Example. Say against Melbourne, we start with Aliir on the ground and Reg as the interchange for insurance. If Aliir is struggling we can bring Reg on. Reg can also provide mentoring at the breaks. Aliir will be better for the experience and we will learn a bit more about potential match ups for him. In different games you could bracket X/Ted, Nankervis/Tippett, Naismith/Pyke, etc. The substitute shouldn't be used only for midfielders. IMO there is more upside than down side to this proposal. It promotes a club first mentality rather than an exclusive 22 group and it creates competitiveness amongst the playing group. And we will also know if they are up for the job if called on for a regular role in case of injury or form slumps. Just an idea.

wolftone57
4th February 2015, 03:14 PM
Horse has played Jetts and Sammy back in the Intra at Coffs. Not totally surprising but would be surprised if they played there all year. He is trying things. He also gave Lewis Melican a big wrap. I was impressed with him too. FS you mention 26 players but I believe you need 30 who are capable of coming in and the side not suffering at all. 26 isn't enough if you have a bad injury run like Freo did in 2013.

JPK12
4th February 2015, 04:40 PM
So Jetts is going to be an option for our running half back to replace Mal?

Is this the new slingshot, the rubber band in which jetts runs in a straight line and bombs it long to an open paddock for buddy or tips?

Flying South
4th February 2015, 05:10 PM
FS you mention 26 players but I believe you need 30 who are capable of coming in and the side not suffering at all. 26 isn't enough if you have a bad injury run like Freo did in 2013.
I agree completely Wolfy. What I am proposing is the following 26 players would be rotated through the starting 21;

D: Smith, Richards, Grundy
HB: McVeigh, Reid, Rampe
CTR: Parker, Hannebery, Jetta
FOL: Pyke, Kennedy, Mitchell
HF: Jack, Franklin, Lloyd
F: Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
INT: Rohan, Bird, Cunningham

Rotational Players (or fringe players)
Jones, Heeney, Hewett, Towers, Robinson

We then utilise the substitute role for the following players in selected games
Naismith, Nankervis, X Richards, Aliir

That makes up a squad of 30 players who are being exposed to senior footy and providing depth. If any of these players are injured then it provides the opportunity to expose others such as Melican. But for it to happen, Horse would have to change his best 22 philosophy.

wolftone57
13th February 2015, 12:06 PM
I agree completely Wolfy. What I am proposing is the following 26 players would be rotated through the starting 21;

D: Smith, Richards, Grundy
HB: McVeigh, Reid, Rampe
CTR: Parker, Hannebery, Jetta
FOL: Pyke, Kennedy, Mitchell
HF: Jack, Franklin, Lloyd
F: Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
INT: Rohan, Bird, Cunningham

Rotational Players (or fringe players)
Jones, Heeney, Hewett, Towers, Robinson

We then utilise the substitute role for the following players in selected games
Naismith, Nankervis, X Richards, Aliir

That makes up a squad of 30 players who are being exposed to senior footy and providing depth. If any of these players are injured then it provides the opportunity to expose others such as Melican. But for it to happen, Horse would have to change his best 22 philosophy.

I agree totally. I still remember the frustration of 2011 where we played very few new players. We really sould have been trying heaps as the so called best 22 was definitely not our best. Of course we didn't have the depth we have now. I am of the firm belief this is the best depth we have had since the advent of the AFL.

Aaron
13th February 2015, 01:08 PM
And Ryce will be the Player-coach in the reserves?

YvonneH
13th February 2015, 05:17 PM
And Ryce will be the Player-coach in the reserves?

We could do worse.

14th February 2015, 04:19 PM
Depth, we've got almost none!

After putting together our best 22 which includes all the veterans and a finally fit Tom Mitchell, we are on very shaky ground.

In order of experience we have 1. Laidler, 2. B Jack, 3. Derickx, 4. Jones, 5. Towers. You can't really say Naismith and X Richards have senior experience.

If we have 5 injuries at any time as is sure to happen then a quarter of the team is made up of those 5 players, none who have shown they really belong at AFL level.

Of all the top 8 sides, we have the least experienced depth of anyone by quite a way. The recruiting ban really hurt us.

What we really need to hope for is that some of those highly promising yet to debut types like Hewett, Heeney, Robinson and Nankerviscan really be as good as the mail says they are. I think Laidler is just ok and the jury is out on Towers and BJ.

Potentially deadly waters await if our injury list doesn't stay short.

Matt80
14th February 2015, 05:10 PM

After putting together our best 22 which includes all the veterans and a finally fit Tom Mitchell, we are on very shaky ground.

In order of experience we have 1. Laidler, 2. B Jack, 3. Derickx, 4. Jones, 5. Towers. You can't really say Naismith and X Richards have senior experience.

If we have 5 injuries at any time as is sure to happen then a quarter of the team is made up of those 5 players, none who have shown they really belong at AFL level.

Of all the top 8 sides, we have the least experienced depth of anyone by quite a way. The recruiting ban really hurt us.

What we really need to hope for is that some of those highly promising yet to debut types like Hewett, Heeney, Robinson and Nankerviscan really be as good as the mail says they are. I think Laidler is just ok and the jury is out on Towers and BJ.

I have an optimistic view of fringe players like Towers and Brandon Jack. They have the electric pace that is sought after in the John Longmire system. They can give the Swans 6-8 tackles in open play and apply copious amounts of pressure.

I think there is huge upside in Brandon Jack. He just needs a moment where he takes three bounces on a wing and unloads a 55 metre goal. The gifts are there. He just needs the confidence. A big moment at senior level will give him the confidence.

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2015, 05:14 PM

i agree with some of your comments but i think they are relative to others teams...............if any team looses 5 of their most important key poossie players then they we will fall also

such are injuries

but i do feel the following players can step up into a team of high quality such as Sydney Swans and play their role to ensure that the team doesnt fall too far

Laidler
Heeney
BJack
Towers
Jones
Aliir
X
Hiscox
Marsh
TD
Nanny

Ludwig
14th February 2015, 05:42 PM
It is true that our experience drops away after the top 20 or so players, but that's typical of most teams. Probably the ones with a longer list of experienced players are those that are continually shuffling the squad because they can't come up with a best 22, as well as drafting delisted experienced players.

The composition of our list arises from a complex situation that has been well discussed, and includes the salary cap adjustments required due to the loss of the COLA and the trade ban to a lesser degree (I doubt that we would have done much anyway). Our experienced players have been both good and generally healthy, which also keeps younger players from getting senior game time.

The depth players we had like White, Armstrong and Lamb are gone, but I prefer the inexperienced replacements. The quality of our untested players looks good. Someone like Dan Robinson could probably step in this year, like Lloyd did last year, and hold a spot in the 22. Jones, Hewett and Heeney are all looking at long careers at the top level. If Perris can keep out of the operating room, he should be good as well.

Of course we don't want to see any injuries, but I feel that even if get some, as is inevitable, it will be a great opportunity to get games into some of these players mentioned in the last few posts.

Auntie.Gerald
14th February 2015, 06:10 PM
ps wouldnt be surprised if the 'Pelican' steps up like a an AJ a few years ago and also Nic Newman looked fairly handy for a 21yr old with some experience now

Ludwig
14th February 2015, 06:50 PM
ps wouldnt be surprised if the 'Pelican' steps up like a an AJ a few years ago and also Nic Newman looked fairly handy for a 21yr old with some experience nowGood thoughts. It passed through my mind as well. Newman, who is now 22, had a bit of a setback with some surgery and Melican is quite young for a KPP. But like you, I have a good feeling about both making a play for senior upgrade.

jono2707
15th February 2015, 08:56 AM
I don't see lack of depth as being too much of an issue for us this year, but if I was going to list the reasons why we don't have that many experienced backups, I'd put more emphasis on our trading of some experienced players for Buddy than this years trading ban.

wolftone57
15th February 2015, 02:57 PM
We could do worse.

He was very good in this role while injured in 2013 and again last year. Very good defensive knowledge and also knows how attacking football is played on the wings. Hwe showed a lot of players how to go about their game. Shane Biggs had a lot to say about the help Rhyce gave him.

Matt80
15th February 2015, 03:06 PM
Good thoughts. It passed through my mind as well. Newman, who is now 22, had a bit of a setback with some surgery and Melican is quite young for a KPP. But like you, I have a good feeling about both making a play for senior upgrade.

Melican was the final pick in the rookie draft. This essentially makes him the lowest rated young player in the AFL when he commenced Pre-Season training.

The fact that he is being talked about in Rampe and AJ terms is fantastic.

If he plays senior games this year it would be an amazing achievement.

wolftone57
15th February 2015, 03:51 PM

I think you underestimate the list, possibly because you don't see the reserves matches. You don't really know what or who is really coming along, you make judgements on who has played games. Look last year Lloyd, Rohan & Cunningham came on. The only one to have played any games was Rohan. Rampe and Mitchell started to come on in 2013. In 2012 it was AJ and Jetts & Hannas became stars that year.

Last year was spent developing some very fine talent. This year we have managed to draft some ready made talent. As for the developed talent;

Dan Robinson; Been on the list a few years and is developing nicely. He is almost cherry ripe for senior footy. Good kick, really good one on one mark and is a tall lad who can play wing, HF, follower or HB. Played really well in the NAB last year and if he wasn't a Rookie would have been played last year. Don't take my word the coach said so.

Aliir Aliir; this kid was going great guns before his injury. He is such a versatile backman. His give and go out of defence is really good but needs to take the game on a bit more. He'll learn to do that with experience. He is a very good pack mark and his spoils are sensational, sometimes going 30 metres to the boundary. Needs to stick a little closer to his man at times but generally his closing speed makes up for this lapse. Decision making will improve as he gets experience.

Xav Richards; I said when he first came he reminded me of Stephen Silvagni and nothing that has happened so far has changed my mind. In fact the way he plays off his opponent is even more like the great Carlton FB. Cuts forward defensive moves to pieces when he goes for it. He always stands close to his man and has kept every top NEAFL full forward goalless. In fact he was so hard to score on they often set up a second to block him from the contest, imagine being a FB and having two opponents. Not heard of.

Dean Towers; This lad is very clever. But he needs to get the confidence needed to play top level. Two things he needs to do, see Davo about his goal kicking and take the game on. He is a fast learner and is already good defensively. I like his tackling, even though there have been a few who knocked him for this side of his game. His second efforts are really good. Look for him to play a different type of game in 2015.

BJ; It is not enough just to be fast. There needs to be more. BJ has it there but he sometimes runs too fast to implement it. He needs to slow down and steady while shooting for goal on the run. He needs to slow just a bit before he hits the ball and get balance so he can gathers the pill. Needs to trust himself and not just give the ball to the nearest experienced player and then stand there. Want to see him take the game on more, get confidence to go the whole way.

Heeney; What can you say about a bloke who can come in as a Toppy and get 30 possessions in the centre. He is all class and strength. Watch this bloke as he is a stayer. He has supreme confidence and he won't give up until he has what he wants and that is premierships!! Confidence, fight, grit, talent, hatred of opponents, never say die attitude and team spirit. These are all traits of this bloke.

Melican; Can't wait to see him play in NAB. He is looking exciting. Gets alone a lot even against our very experienced players. I think he would be able to make space in a 6x4 cell. Bloody incredible. Good size, athletic but in a footy sense. Reminds me of a young Jonno Brown in build and ability to hit the packs. He won't back down. This bloke might just be the wild card in the defensive pack.

Hewett; All talent. Kicks both feet and is a superb footpass. Bloody beautiful to watch. If we get the chance on FOX to see him hit Tip & Buddy from 40-60 metres on the lead it will be something to see. He did it for Toby & The One That Went To Scum Kilda, in the NEAFL last year so well. He is also the play maker in the centre square. Mitchell extracts to Hewett, Hewett sets up play with either handball or kick. Very classy and will probably take mark of the year when he matures. He blocks too. All the reserves players do unlike our seniors.

Toby; Need I say much about this fella? Yes I do. He's big. He's a bruiser. He opens packs like a hot knife through butter. Good tap ruck and occasional 20-30 metre punch. Doesn't take @@@@ from anyone. He kicks goals. He will also have completed his first real preseason and will be far more dextrous than last year. This fella has resting ruck/ruck written all over him. He could be anything and I'm telling you there are not too many who are going to beat him in a marking contest. He absolutely smashes the packs, players go everywhere. Toby almost always ends up with the ball.

I don't know about you but I rather like Zac Jones. He has the grunt. I know Laids is only making up the numbers but you need players like that in case of injuries. He is a solid AFL performer without being flashy. Naismith has always been a long term prospect. He is a very big guy and they take a while. He is developing nicely. The unfortunate thing for him is his first game was played against the form ruckman of the comp.

wolftone57
15th February 2015, 04:06 PM
I have an optimistic view of fringe players like Towers and Brandon Jack. They have the electric pace that is sought after in the John Longmire system. They can give the Swans 6-8 tackles in open play and apply copious amounts of pressure.

I think there is huge upside in Brandon Jack. He just needs a moment where he takes three bounces on a wing and unloads a 55 metre goal. The gifts are there. He just needs the confidence. A big moment at senior level will give him the confidence.

BJ needs to slow down and steady before kicking as normally he is way ahead of his opponent when he kicks for goal. He also needs to slow just as he approaches the ball to pick up. By slowing you get balance and then time your run for a burst out of either a pack or away from a player. You get balance that is the main thing. By going at full pace all the time he is losing his balance and therefore stuffing up and losing confidence.

wolftone57
15th February 2015, 04:11 PM
Melican was the final pick in the rookie draft. This essentially makes him the lowest rated young player in the AFL when he commenced Pre-Season training.

The fact that he is being talked about in Rampe and AJ terms is fantastic.

If he plays senior games this year it would be an amazing achievement.

Matt the reason he was the last pick is because by the time the Rookie Draft came along we were certain nobody would take him due to his age. He is a little young for KPP. Clubs don't like to take a risk on an 18 YO KPP. We did and I think it will work.

jetts32
2nd April 2015, 12:39 PM
So after a lot of hard thinking this off season, I've put together my best 22 (hopefully all stay fit)

I don't believe we should try go smaller as some "experts" would say/ did say. I believe under our tall stocks we should just add more rovers, fast players and so on.

Here it is:

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
CHB: Rohan , Grundy, Shaw
Mid: Jetta , Jack, Mcveigh
CHF: Mcglynn, Buddy, Cunningham
F: Reid, Tippet, Goodes
R: Pyke, Kennedy, Parker.

Inter: Hanners, Mitchell, Heeney, Bird.

I still think we may lack a little speed in some areas BUT Rampe is a tall solid player with good speed and a great kick, I'd like to see him play some
Midfield.
I'd like too see Rohan rotate between back, wing & forward throughout games. Same as Jetta

Mcveigh to swing back when Rohan or Rampe aren't in the backline.

Mcglynn to continue some time in the midfield to add speed and defensive pressure.

Kieran Jack to spend more time forward this year.

I'd like to see a lot more rotation in terms of positions, I think we have great versatility that we didn't use enough last year, throw teams like hawthorn off course when all of the sudden Rampe goes into the midfield and what not.

Thoughts?

Scottee
2nd April 2015, 02:41 PM
So after a lot of hard thinking this off season, I've put together my best 22 (hopefully all stay fit)

I don't believe we should try go smaller as some "experts" would say/ did say. I believe under our tall stocks we should just add more rovers, fast players and so on.

Here it is:

B: Smith, Richards, Rampe
CHB: Rohan , Grundy, Shaw
Mid: Jetta , Jack, Mcveigh
CHF: Mcglynn, Buddy, Cunningham
F: Reid, Tippet, Goodes
R: Pyke, Kennedy, Parker.

Inter: Hanners, Mitchell, Heeney, Bird.

I still think we may lack a little speed in some areas BUT Rampe is a tall solid player with good speed and a great kick, I'd like to see him play some
Midfield.
I'd like too see Rohan rotate between back, wing & forward throughout games. Same as Jetta

Mcveigh to swing back when Rohan or Rampe aren't in the backline.

Mcglynn to continue some time in the midfield to add speed and defensive pressure.

Kieran Jack to spend more time forward this year.

I'd like to see a lot more rotation in terms of positions, I think we have great versatility that we didn't use enough last year, throw teams like hawthorn off course when all of the sudden Rampe goes into the midfield and what not.

Thoughts?

It seems to me that one of Reid, Towers, Mitchell, Cunningham or Lloyd will miss out. You have chosen Lloyd. I will be interested to see the outcome. Whoever it is will be stiff to miss out.